PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Anyone who blames the owners for the upcoming lockout is retarded

Clipper Nation
07-04-2016, 03:09 PM
This Warriors superteam and all the horrible contracts given out this summer don't happen if the owners got the cap smoothing they were asking for. Instead, because a few scrubs just had to chase that money now (which they'll waste on cars, strippers, and every deadbeat "friend" who comes up to them with their hand out), we're looking at another shortened season next time the CBA is up. Maybe even a full season off like the NHL a while back.

Can't blame it on the owners this time - a few greedy players simply fucked over the rest of the league.

Thread
07-04-2016, 03:10 PM
You got Gasol. Hush.

whitemamba
07-04-2016, 03:10 PM
This Warriors superteam and all the horrible contracts given out this summer don't happen if the owners got the cap smoothing they were asking for. Instead, because a few scrubs just had to chase that money now (which they'll waste on cars, strippers, and every deadbeat "friend" who comes up to them with their hand out), we're looking at another shortened season next time the CBA is up. Maybe even a full season off like the NHL a while back.

Can't blame it on the owners this time - a few greedy players simply fucked over the rest of the league.

Chris Paul - President NBPA
Lebron James - Vice President NBPA

:lol

baseline bum
07-04-2016, 03:15 PM

The owners won huge in the last lockout, dropping the player's share of BRI from 57% to 51%.

Splits
07-04-2016, 03:16 PM
FUCK the owners. Bunch of rich white guys getting richer off the backs of the working class.

Hope there is a revolution and NBA team ownership is ripped out of these faggot's hands and given to the taxpayers of the city.

Thread
07-04-2016, 03:17 PM
FUCK the owners. Bunch of rich white guys getting richer off the backs of the working class.

Hope there is a revolution and NBA team ownership is ripped out of these faggot's hands and given to the taxpayers of the city.

Whites

Caltex2
07-04-2016, 03:20 PM

That doesn't make some of the players any less greedy.

Clipper Nation
07-04-2016, 03:22 PM

Sounds like a great idea! Then the NBA can be as strong as our public school systems and infrastructure.

Splits
07-04-2016, 03:23 PM
Sounds like a great idea! Then the NBA can be as strong as our public school systems and infrastructure.

Your country is only as strong as it's people.

US must have some shitty ass people.

Stabula
07-04-2016, 04:03 PM

Couldn't agree more.

Will Hunting
07-04-2016, 04:08 PM

It'd be less of a drain on the tax payers if they owned the entire team rather than the current system where they have to subsidize the stadium/arena but don't get any of the revenue.

Thebesteva
07-04-2016, 04:08 PM
OP melting down over a beta on the 4th of Jewly :lol

Clipper Nation
07-04-2016, 04:10 PM
It'd be less of a drain on the tax payers if they owned the entire team rather than the current system where they have to subsidize the stadium/arena but don't get any of the revenue.
Taxpayers shouldn't even be paying for the stadiums, let alone paying to own entire teams.

LkrFan
07-04-2016, 04:11 PM
Chris Paul - President NBPA
Lebron James - Vice President NBPA

:lol

:lmao

Will Hunting
Taxpayers shouldn't even be paying for the stadiums, let alone paying to own entire teams.

They currently just subsidize the stadiums with no share of revenue. If they owned the entire team, they'd get the revenues/profits. Do you not understand how that works?

LkrFan
Meltdown Nati:loln

Will Hunting
07-04-2016, 04:13 PM
Personally, I don't think there should be any government involvement with professional sports (which is how things were before the 1980s when contracts began to explode), but the Green Bay Packers' model where the fans own the team is infinitely better than the Florida Marlins' model where a rich owner holds the city hostage for a new stadium.

Clipper Nation
07-04-2016, 04:15 PM
They currently just subsidize the stadiums with no share of revenue. If they owned the entire team, they'd get the revenues/profits. Do you not understand how that works?
I get it, I just think the government should stay out of it entirely. I don't begrudge rich people for owning sports teams, they should just pay for their own stadiums or sell their teams to someone who can afford to.

Will Hunting
07-04-2016, 04:21 PM
I get it, I just think the government should stay out of it entirely. I don't begrudge rich people for owning sports teams, they should just pay for their own stadiums or sell their teams to someone who can afford to.

:tu

Personally, I blame the federal government for not putting an end to it. When rust belt cities that have been broke for fucking decades (Baltimore, Cleveland, Detroit, etc.) go into even more debt to provide hundreds of millions in subsidies to build a football stadium, the federal government should say "Hopefully you enjoy that stadium because we're cutting your city and its people completely off from all subsidies/programs/etc."

Caltex2
07-05-2016, 02:34 AM

Resident taxpayers generally no longer have to fund stadiums and arenas. Now those taxes are handed off to visitors via car rental and hotel taxes. Usually, this will add an extra $15-30 to their total expenditures for a trip or in other words, not a big deal at all. Genius move if you ask me, whoever came up with that idea literally deserves a medal.

Killakobe81
07-05-2016, 07:20 AM

What?!
Players gonna ask for the moon ...
Owners have no self control.
ideally the money was supposed to be redistributed evenly amongst the middle class ...
Instead smart players mediocre players like Parsons taking advantage of dumb owners willing to pay them LeBron money

Killakobe81
07-05-2016, 07:22 AM
And now we have a bunch of non franchise guys like Conley making Durant and LeBron money. I still blame the owners the players just seek what the market will bear

Will Hunting
07-05-2016, 07:32 AM
Resident taxpayers generally no longer have to fund stadiums and arenas. Now those taxes are handed off to visitors via car rental and hotel taxes. Usually, this will add an extra $15-30 to their total expenditures for a trip or in other words, not a big deal at all. Genius move if you ask me, whoever came up with that idea literally deserves a medal.
So instead of the car rental/hotel tax going to public goods like new roads, better water treatment facilities, etc., it goes towards a new stadium so the local tax payers are paying more for infrastructure than they otherwise would be. That still sounds like a subsidy to me.

CN is right. The government shouldn't be involved, at all and at any level, with professional sports. It's a completely nonessential good the free market can effectively manage (and I'm by no stretch of the imagination a big believer in free market self regulation).

I also have a hard time believing cities like Baltimore and Cleveland (two cities with the most heavy stadium subsidies) are generating that much in tourism revenue. How many people do you know have ever taken a vacation to Baltimore?

Mark in Austin
07-05-2016, 08:06 AM
Somehow blaming players for the extortion racket pro sports is with respect to stadium funding is beyond stupid.

1. The money that pays players is coming in based on EXISTING revenue from tv deals, digital rights, and merchandise. The cap is based on REVENUE.
2. Players get roughly 51% of the revenue. How it is divided up amongst the players doesn't really matter. That 51% of revenue is going to the players.
3. Contracts take two parties. Both the team/owner and the player have to agree on the contract terms.
4. Stadium deals are between owners and the city / municipality they are in. Money saved / extorted from cities funding or partially funding arenas does't get reflected in the cap calculations. Players are not entitled to any of that money.

Killakobe81
07-05-2016, 09:59 AM
Somehow blaming players for the extortion racket pro sports is with respect to stadium funding is beyond stupid.

1. The money that pays players is coming in based on EXISTING revenue from tv deals, digital rights, and merchandise. The cap is based on REVENUE.
2. Players get roughly 51% of the revenue. How it is divided up amongst the players doesn't really matter. That 51% of revenue is going to the players.
3. Contracts take two parties. Both the team/owner and the player have to agree on the contract terms.
4. Stadium deals are between owners and the city / municipality they are in. Money saved / extorted from cities funding or partially funding arenas does't get reflected in the cap calculations. Players are not entitled to any of that money.

This ...

baseline bum
07-05-2016, 10:02 AM
How many people do you know have ever taken a vacation to Baltimore?

I once went to an Orioles game while passing through while driving from New York. Does that count? :lol

baseline bum
07-05-2016, 10:10 AM
One thing people always forget about these contracts: while they're guaranteed deals, the dollar amount isn't quite guaranteed. Every player pays 10% of his salary into an escrow fund. If these high dollar contracts have pushed the players to getting a bigger than 51% share of the BRI, the difference between the amount they made and 51% of the BRI goes back to the owners, with the remaining paid back to the players. So the collective bargaining agreement has a built in safeguard that keeps total payout for the league from getting out of control.

Caltex2
07-05-2016, 03:13 PM
So instead of the car rental/hotel tax going to public goods like new roads, better water treatment facilities, etc., it goes towards a new stadium so the local tax payers are paying more for infrastructure than they otherwise would be. That still sounds like a subsidy to me.

CN is right. The government shouldn't be involved, at all and at any level, with professional sports. It's a completely nonessential good the free market can effectively manage (and I'm by no stretch of the imagination a big believer in free market self regulation).

I also have a hard time believing cities like Baltimore and Cleveland (two cities with the most heavy stadium subsidies) are generating that much in tourism revenue. How many people do you know have ever taken a vacation to Baltimore?

If people want to fix the roads and improve schools, they still have that option through other bonds. Civic leaders have come up with a highly intelligent way to get sports stadiums built without fleecing their citizenry. And if you think having pro sports doesn't matter or isn't important, you're right to an extent but professionals like having entertainment options and having major pro sports is a way to keep and draw professionals as well as a way to garner publicity for places that people often would not think about otherwise, such as about half the Western Conference.

You don't really have a valid argument here. Those municipal issues can still be funded through the same channels and passing bonds that tax outsiders is supplemental, essentially taking nothing away from resident taxpayers. This method allows cities to bring in and retain luxuries such as sports teams and concerts without throwing their own citizens under the bus. Often times, they put and keep cities on the map (Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, Orlando, etc...). Technically, it's a subsidy and cities shouldn't bend over to sports teams but this is the best way to go about it and is essentially harmless, even to the travellers, who pay the taxes with a drop in the bucket of their overall expenses on the trip.