PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs' chances at a title just increased, IMO

ParadoxEN
07-04-2016, 09:56 PM
The most likely scenario standing-wise if Durant stayed was going to be

1. GSW
2. SAS/OKC
3. SAS/OKC

This meant SAS was going to have to beat both OKC and GSW (both possibly on the road, too). Now, they "only" have to worry about GSW. IMO, statically speaking, SAS chances of making the WCF increased which is necessary for winning the title, obviously.

lilbthebasedgod
07-04-2016, 09:57 PM
This doesn't make any sense. The chance of reaching the WCF increased but the title chances absolutely decreased.

sasaint
07-04-2016, 10:02 PM

1. GSW
2. SAS/OKC
3. SAS/OKC

This meant SAS was going to have to beat both OKC and GSW (both possibly on the road, too). Now, they "only" have to worry about GSW. IMO, statically speaking, SAS chances of making the WCF increased which is necessary for winning the title, obviously.

:lol But I like your optimism!

ParadoxEN
This doesn't make any sense. The chance of reaching the WCF increased but the title chances absolutely decreased.

This doesn't necessarily make the OP false, IMO.

- depends on much more difficult you think beating GSW is going to be;
- don't underestimate the value of an increased likelihood of getting to the WCF

apalisoc_9
Welcome back op. One of the best posters in spurstlak

Spurs 4 The Win
07-04-2016, 10:06 PM
This doesn't necessarily make the OP false, IMO.

- depends on much more difficult you think beating GSW is going to be;
- don't underestimate the value of an increased likelihood of getting to the WCF

This. Just being in the WCF gives you a better shot to win. What if Golden State sustains an injury? Lots of things can happen. When there is only one other team to worry about it becomes much easier. Also I think we need to try and get the 1 seed this year. Especially if the Durant project starts off rocky.

Mr. Body
07-04-2016, 10:08 PM
This. Just being in the WCF gives you a better shot to win. What if Golden State sustains an injury? Lots of things can happen. When there is only one other team to worry about it becomes much easier. Also I think we need to try and get the 1 seed this year. Especially if the Durant project starts off rocky.

GSW just basically doubled down on what they were already good at. I can see them having problems with certain teams. Also can see Curry fall off a bit from his ungodly shooting. No one can keep that up.

lilbthebasedgod
07-04-2016, 10:08 PM
This doesn't necessarily make the OP false, IMO.- depends on much more difficult you think beating GSW is going to be;-don't underestimate the value of an increased likelihood of getting to the WCF
Our chances of beating the warriors in any round went from in these scenarios

In my guess: OKC gets durant: 30%
SAS gets durant: 85%.
GSW gets durant: 0.1%
Nonscientific of course.

Kikoluna
07-04-2016, 10:09 PM
Lol.man are you positive lol

Spur|n|Austin
07-04-2016, 10:12 PM
Lol.man are you positive lol

You spelled stupid wrong.

Sean Cagney
07-04-2016, 10:12 PM
Well, if what you are saying is they don't have to GO THROUGH a tough OKC team and then GSW then you are right, but GSW just got a lot tougher..... So their title chances actually decreased but WCF chances increased, which is not a title though.

tonight...you
07-04-2016, 10:13 PM

1. GSW
2. SAS/OKC
3. SAS/OKC

All it takes is one slip on the court in one game by one person to change the entire landscape. That's why you want your team prepped to step up to the plate like Cleveland did with a semi-gimp Curry.

gospursgojas
07-04-2016, 10:15 PM
Vegas would say their chances increased just for the fact that there is 1 less team to contend with.

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2016, 10:15 PM
Spurs' have about a 10% chance at the title IMO..that 10% is heavily predicated on a fluke incident, like Curry slipping on Montejunas' back sweat, which changed the landscape of this year's playoffs:lol

Spurs 4 The Win
07-04-2016, 10:16 PM
Well, if what you are saying is they don't have to GO THROUGH a tough OKC team and then GSW then you are right, but GSW just got a lot tougher..... So their title chances actually decreased but WCF chances increased, which is not a title though.

Regardless. Even if we arent good enough think of it this way. Getting to the WCF is a great thing. Free agents will take notice, you will be regarded as an elite team that can be put over the top by another player. Also, we will be getting excellent playoff experience and we can build on that. And once again, you cant beat the Warriors unless you play them, as we found out this year. OKC was a major nemesis and now they are gone. Advantage Spurs

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2016, 10:17 PM
Game is still played with one basketball. If GS can figure that out then probably 2-3 championships over the next 5 seasons. As the Heat showed a few seasons back, these superstar combos aren't any guarantee of long term success.

Spurs 4 The Win
07-04-2016, 10:17 PM
Spurs' have about a 10% chance at the title IMO..that 10% is heavily predicated on a fluke incident, like Curry slipping on Montejunas' back sweat, which changed the landscape of this year's playoffs:lol

How so? He was completely 100% against OKC and the Cavs

tonight...you
07-04-2016, 10:18 PM
Regardless. Even if we arent good enough think of it this way. Getting to the WCF is a great thing. Free agents will take notice, you will be regarded as an elite team that can be put over the top by another player. Also, we will be getting excellent playoff experience and we can build on that. And once again, you cant beat the Warriors unless you play them, as we found out this year. OKC was a major nemesis and now they are gone. Advantage Spurs
Damn right.

ParadoxEN
07-04-2016, 10:19 PM
All it takes is one slip on the court in one game by one person to change the entire landscape. That's why you want your team prepped to step up to the plate like Cleveland did with a semi-gimp Curry.

That's the point, IMO. Besides the obvious benefits of increased odds at the WCF:

Easier road to WCF => less competitive games => less minutes for key players before GSW (who were going to be difficult either way).

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2016, 10:22 PM
How so? He was completely 100% against OKC and the Cavs

:lol no..he couldn't get separation against anybody following his injury..

Chinook
07-04-2016, 10:26 PM
I think the Spurs should make Durant try to beat them by himself. Lock down Steph and Klay and let Parker and Durant go up and down the floor. The pressure on him not to lose games for GS would be so immense that I think he'd crack. And of course, you pound the hell out him if he plays the four, which is why I'm still hoping the Spurs find a way to keep Diaw.

gospursgojas
07-04-2016, 10:31 PM
I think the Spurs should make Durant try to beat them by himself. Lock down Steph and Klay and let Parker and Durant go up and down the floor. The pressure on him not to lose games for GS would be so immense that I think he'd crack. And of course, you pound the hell out him if he plays the four, which is why I'm still hoping the Spurs find a way to keep Diaw.

I think Spurs did a decent job on Steph and Klay last season. It was always someone like Barnes, or Iggy, or Livingston beating us....now this season, Barnes/Iggy/Livingston is named Kevin Durant.

Chinook
07-04-2016, 10:33 PM
I think Spurs did a decent job on Steph and Klay last season. It was always someone like Barnes, or Iggy, or Livingston beating us....now this season, Barnes/Iggy/Livingston is named Kevin Durant.

Indeed. And I think that's a good thing. This isn't about a role-player stepping up. This is about a star having to not choke.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2016, 10:34 PM
9vQaVIoEjOM

Spurs 4 The Win
07-04-2016, 10:34 PM

Oh against the elite teams in the league? Color me shocked

Beaverfuzz
07-04-2016, 10:36 PM
Not with Parker running the point.

Dro210
07-04-2016, 10:53 PM

1. GSW
2. SAS/OKC
3. SAS/OKC

Agreed. :tu

HarlemHeat37
07-05-2016, 01:02 AM
Oh against the elite teams in the league? Color me shocked

Against mediocre defensive teams that he easily destroyed during the RS?

Spurs 4 The Win
07-05-2016, 01:08 AM
Against mediocre defensive teams that he easily destroyed during the RS?

:lol I remember RJ torching teams in the regular season too...

Nathan89
07-05-2016, 01:10 AM

They still have Iggy and Livingston though.

gospursgojas
07-05-2016, 01:11 AM
They still have Iggy and Livingston though.

:(

aal04
07-05-2016, 01:16 AM
I wonder how far off Spurs were to landing KD.

He obviously wants to win, and coming to either Spurs or GSW guarantees heavy heavy favourites.

ElNono
07-05-2016, 01:36 AM
I know TD wasn't great the last couple seasons, but if he really retires, our chances at a title only go down... it's not so much about whatever is left of his game, but also little things like his leadership, setting the tone for this team...

We've clearly started building a new foundation since last summer, but losing that kind of know how and "corporate knowledge" as Pop would put it, is tough.

Mikeanaro
07-05-2016, 02:54 AM
OP is right, on paper chances increased.

DenialTwist
07-05-2016, 03:26 AM
Spurs have no shot in hell. They are a backcourt, center and a bench away from contending in the West. Warriors are far and away better in every position than the Spurs and every team in the NBA.
This sucks. What happened to competitiveness and parity? Sheesh. If Barnes had just agreed to his contract offer from the Warriors they wouldn't have been able to get KD.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-05-2016, 03:32 AM
Vegas would say their chances increased just for the fact that there is 1 less team to contend with.

Vegas odds for the Spurs have decreased.

Mikeanaro
07-05-2016, 03:45 AM
Spurs have no shot in hell. They are a backcourt, center and a bench away from contending in the West. Warriors are far and away better in every position than the Spurs and every team in the NBA.
This sucks. What happened to competitiveness and parity? Sheesh. If Barnes had just agreed to his contract offer from the Warriors they wouldn't have been able to get KD.
So Cleveland had a shot vs GSW? Lebron Irving with a bunch of scrubs and look what happened a 57 win EAST team beats the 73 win WEST team.

BillMc
07-05-2016, 05:17 AM
I wonder how far off Spurs were to landing KD.

He obviously wants to win, and coming to either Spurs or GSW guarantees heavy heavy favourites.

I really think if the Dubs had won the title this year, he wouldn't have gone there (that would be too obvious coat-riding). I'd guess that if that were the case he'd have been in SA or Boston.

So we were close, but circumstance made it impossible. Reports are he's being thinking about GSW for years since becoming buddies with Iggy and Curry in 2010 in Turkey. So, it was always going to happen UNLESS Goldenstate rang this year. When Dubs were up 3-1 on Cleveland, we had a hell of a chance of getting Durant. But alas...mice and men.

r0drig0lac
07-05-2016, 05:58 AM
So Cleveland had a shot vs GSW? Lebron Irving with a bunch of scrubs and look what happened a 57 win EAST team beats the 73 win WEST team.

Lebron is one of the GOATs in his prime

Chillen
07-05-2016, 07:04 AM
Well nothing has changed since last season, for the Spurs to get to the Finals they still have to beat the Warriors.

cjw
07-05-2016, 07:54 AM
If you're saying the Spurs had a 40% chance of getting through each OKC and GS before the KD move (16% chance of finals), and post-signing it's 60% of getting through round 2 opponent - that just means that they'd now need to have at least a 27% shot of beating GS.

And this is under the assumption that the Thunder don't fall to 4th overall with KD and play GS (or Spurs as one seed).

Yes, easier to go through two than one great team, but one great team got even better and round 2 isn't necessarily a guaranteed win.

Horse
07-05-2016, 08:26 AM
Halfway through the season last years golden state was considered a lock. Fuck those faggots.

Kikoluna
07-05-2016, 08:34 AM
You spelled stupid wrong.
I didn't even type stupid. I don't get it, are you calling me stupid?

InRareForm
07-05-2016, 01:55 PM
Spurs are 15 to 1. bet your mortgage payments at your own risk.

07-05-2016, 02:03 PM
:lol I'm pretty sure the Spurs' chances of a title just decreased from 8/1 to 15/1

So no, the Spurs' chances at a title did not increase.

Mr. Body
07-05-2016, 02:13 PM
:lol I'm pretty sure the Spurs' chances of a title just decreased from 8/1 to 15/1

So no, the Spurs' chances at a title did not increase.

Every bandwagoner is betting on the Warriors right now, skewing the odds

ceperez
07-05-2016, 02:24 PM
Spurs might just have a team decent enough to win 70.

Pau / Marjanovic
Aldridge / LJC
Leonard / Anderson / Bertans
Green / Ginobili / Simmons
Parker / Mills / Murray / Forbes

Not going to win against a healthy GSW, but good enough to compete.

Mikeanaro
07-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Lebron is one of the GOATs in his prime
Still 2 players against a full stacked team, and let me remind you Lebron has already lost 4 times GOAT or not.

TD 21
07-05-2016, 05:11 PM
Their chances went from slim to none to none. No one has a chance and no one will for the foreseeable future. That loser ruined the league and after the predictable initial shine wears off and inevitably sets in, the league will be worse off for it.

HarlemHeat37
07-05-2016, 05:16 PM
The Cavs needed a Green suspension, Lebron and Kyrie going super-human and Curry/Thompson going ice cold to beat the Warriors in a last-second game 7..a Warriors team that didn't have the 2nd best player in the NBA in his prime:lol

Spurs couldn't even force a game 7 in the 2nd round, despite having HCA..they will be the 2nd best team in the West and win 60 again, but odds of winning the West will be very slim..

Kikoluna
07-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Spurs might just have a team decent enough to win 70.

Pau / Marjanovic
Aldridge / LJC
Leonard / Anderson / Bertans
Green / Ginobili / Simmons
Parker / Mills / Murray / Forbes

Not going to win against a healthy GSW, but good enough to compete.
Too much faith on Kyle and Europe guy

timtonymanu
07-05-2016, 05:19 PM
We lost proven playoff performers in Tim, Boris, and Manu (possibly). Sure they were old but also very unique players. Right now, this team has a 2nd round ceiling at best.

james evans
07-05-2016, 05:52 PM
so he didn't have that injury when he scored 38 during the finals? It's funny how he was only injured during games in which he didn't shoot well.

Nathan89
07-05-2016, 05:55 PM
We lost proven playoff performers in Tim, Boris, and Manu (possibly). Sure they were old but also very unique players. Right now, this team has a 2nd round ceiling at best.

Spurs can make it to the WCF the only team better than them is GSW. Problem is we'll probably get swept in WCF.

james evans
07-05-2016, 05:56 PM
I'm bookmarking this thread cuz when we win that title, I don't want to see any of you negative band wagoning mfs celebrating talking about "we". If you want to cheer for GS, go cheer for them, don't put us on reserve until this GS shit blows up(like I know it will).

HI-FI
07-05-2016, 06:56 PM
Actually agree with the OP. Sure Spurs could still get cucked by an inferior team and coach, but Spurs tend to be their best when expectations are low and the pressure will be on the Dubs. Dubs should be considered the favorites but I actually look forward to this season.

james evans
10-26-2016, 07:58 AM
bump