PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone concerned about Gasol's defense?

midnightpulp
07-04-2016, 10:59 PM
I keep reading about this concern from posters here and downstairs.

Gasol ranked 6th in DRPM among defensive centers. I know the concern is about his pick-and-roll defense, but not every team is Golden State, and having a shot blocking 7'1" center with length for days just makes our perimeter defense of Kawhi and Green that much tougher. The Spurs put up historic defensive metrics all year, despite not having a small ball center that can switch. The only reason the defense looked pedestrian in the 2nd round was because of the obvious Duncan decline, who could no longer shot-block and rebound like he once could earlier in the season. Gasol was a double-double machine this season.

"Well, Golden State is the only team we should be concerned about."

Disagree. To have any chance in Hell of beating Golden State, we're going to need home court, so having a balanced team and not a specifically built team for one single opponent maximizes our chances of winning regular season games. Not a guarantee GS wins 65-75 games. They'll have some initial chemistry issues to overcome and might get off to a slow start.

Yes, we still need more perimeter depth and wing athleticism, but replacing Duncan's void was the top priority. People underestimate how big a part of our offense (his passing/BBallIQ) and defense he was last season. And no player in NBA history resembles Duncan's game more than Gasol. Really a great move by the Spurs.

It doesn't put us on the level of Golden State or anything, because that is simply a bullshit and contrived team, but I commend the Spurs FO nonetheless.

Solid D
07-04-2016, 11:07 PM
Well, reading the concerns is one thing...believing them is another. I wouldn't. He should be an excellent team defender.

ElNono
07-04-2016, 11:08 PM
To have any chance in Hell of beating Golden State, we're going to need home court, so having a balanced team and not a specifically built team for one single opponent maximizes our chances of winning regular season games.

If last season is any indication, the Dubs care way more about the regular season than Pop does. He won't trade his "rest" games for the #1 seed, I'm pretty positive, unless it's neck and neck at the very end.

Spurs are going to have chemistry issues of their own too, tbh, you don't lose a key cog like Tim and potentially a guy that's been in the system like Boris and suddenly everything fits.

On the other hand, if we're being frank, the whole league outside of 5 or so teams looks like dogshit, so winning in the regular season shouldn't take a ton of effort.

Splits
07-04-2016, 11:12 PM
Spurs fan should obviously be worried about the mass violence other teams produce.

Putin and his alliance with Assad are much more concerning.

Jong'Un needs the attention of the international community.

Is anyone going to put the spotlight on the Iranian regime?

Jesus fuck guys, COME ON!

Obstructed_View
07-04-2016, 11:19 PM
Because they need something to bitch about, so they repeat the shit the idiot Lakers fans say.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-04-2016, 11:25 PM
How is a lineup with LMA and Gasol together going to matchup with Dub small-ball? Or any smallball team with good perimeter shooting? I think that's the major theme, and it is a concern. The obvious answer is that we can't play them together against smallball lineups, and that's the case with just about any 2-big lineup in the NBA.

On the flipside, no-one will be able to match up well with the Warriors now.

tbdog
07-04-2016, 11:37 PM
There are two ways to combat small ball. One is by having a better small ball team. We don't. No team has it better than the Dubs, this year, last year, any team in history. The other way is to go big, stay big, and punish them in the paint. That is all you can do.

Obstructed_View
07-04-2016, 11:43 PM
How is a lineup with LMA and Gasol together going to matchup with Dub small-ball? Or any smallball team with good perimeter shooting?

Layup, dunk, , shooting foul, dunk, layup and-1, shooting foul, dunk, layup, wide-open three, shooting foul, etc.

midnightpulp
07-04-2016, 11:56 PM
Spurs fan should obviously be worried about the mass violence other teams produce.

Voting for Trump?

Uriel
07-04-2016, 11:59 PM

:lol :tu

ducks
07-04-2016, 11:59 PM
How is a lineup with LMA and Gasol together going to matchup with Dub small-ball? Or any smallball team with good perimeter shooting? I think that's the major theme, and it is a concern. The obvious answer is that we can't play them together against smallball lineups, and that's the case with just about any 2-big lineup in the NBA.

Owner said everyone was doing small ball doubt they do that as much now

midnightpulp
07-05-2016, 12:02 AM

Adams and Kanter killed the Warriors on the boards.

We saw just how valuable length and rebounding are in playoff series against a small ball team.

SequSpur
07-05-2016, 12:03 AM
Look, if the everyone stays healthy on the clippers and warriors, they are gonna get fuckin rolled again... who gives a fuck about defense...you dfs should be planning for what you're gonna do when the spurs are one and done again....

ducks
07-05-2016, 12:06 AM
Spurs will beat clippers

SequSpur
07-05-2016, 12:07 AM
Spurs will beat clippers

first round trailer park boy.....pay attention..

ducks
07-05-2016, 12:09 AM
If they draw Gs in first round

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2016, 12:10 AM
Agree. Gasol is a better Duncan than the real Duncan at this point.

4/5 depth will be a concern.

SequSpur
07-05-2016, 12:11 AM
If they draw Gs in first round

how is that gonna happen? The Pop plan is good for 60 games and out bro. pay attention.... I've read this book over and over and over and over again and the same ending happens. The Spurs are done bro...... As long as TP is running the point and Patty is the only backup, the Spurs will not go far.

Vegas don't lie... Pay attention Special Ed.

apalisoc_9
07-05-2016, 12:12 AM
I will address the issue once I get access to my computer. On my phone right now.

ducks
07-05-2016, 12:12 AM
Alridge and green should be better
Spurs were adjusting to alridge all year should be better this year

ducks
07-05-2016, 12:14 AM
Vegas had Spurs higher then thunder last year
Thunder were in finals
Hell Vegas had Gs highest
You pay attention

SequSpur
07-05-2016, 12:14 AM
I will address the issue once I get access to my computer. On my phone right now.

go to bed, we don't care.

SequSpur
07-05-2016, 12:15 AM
Vegas had Spurs higher then thunder last year
Thunder were in finals
Hell Vegas had Gs highest
You pay attention

yeah, and they were in a game 7 in the nba finals, you samfer.... got damn, I see nothing has changed here.

SequSpur
07-05-2016, 12:16 AM
Alridge and green should be better
Spurs were adjusting to alridge all year should be better this year

yeah, aldridge can shoot more fade away jumpers this year.... who the fuck is gonna rebound? LMA and Gasol are the same player..

Nathan89
07-05-2016, 12:28 AM

Dubs are the only dangerous smallball team. Every other team you don't have to worry about the pg shooting from anywhere on the court.

midnightpulp
07-05-2016, 12:29 AM
Some stats to chew on:

Gasol's at rim defense is only 2 percentage higher than Duncan's. And about equal to that of Ibaka, Stephen Adams, and Bogut. Look at Boris's at rim defense for comparison.

http://sportsbystats-s3-tut1ac8i.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/17180037/Nylon-Calculus-Rim-Protection-for-Gasol-Cavs-Warriors-and-Spurs-2014-15-.png

Gasol's man interior defense ranks 3rd on this list of bigs:

http://sportsbystats-s3-tut1ac8i.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/17175211/Contenders-Big-Men-Opponent-Field-Goal-Percentage-Difference-1.png

And here's some good news regarding everyone's major concern:

Now, the biggest criticism of Pau Gasol is his pick-and-roll defense. And this is completely valid. Gasol is in the bottom-half of the NBA regarding his ability to defend the roll man.

BUT

Golden State attacks the roll defender the third least times in the association. Where they would attack Pau, therefore, is when the screen is switched to take a three point shot. Here, Pau is not as bad. He allows the 19th lowest eFG% off screens as a roll defender. What this means is that Pau Gasol is more than likely a better defender when he guards pick-and-pops — which are included in the aforementioned statistic — but a horrendous interior defender when he is guarding a driving roll man.

What this means is that the Clippers, Spurs, and Thunder — all who run a significant amount of screens that attack the roll man’s defender — are more of a threat to Pau’s defense because they generally attack the roll man as he moves inside. Essentially, these teams do not use the three-point shot on screens nearly as much as Cleveland and Golden State, and thus pose a greater risk to Pau Gasol’s defensive limitations.

Consequently, at worst, Pau Gasol’s holistic defense is a wash. When one examines advanced statistics, though, they all rank him highly. These stats include the fourth best Defensive Box Plus/Mins, defensive win shares, and defensive rating. Overall, he provides very good interior defense, however, is weak defending a driving roll man off of screens. When the advanced metrics are consulted, though, he is still a net positive on the defensive end.

Spurs indeed did their homework here.

Snaq O'Meal
07-05-2016, 01:02 AM
Excellent stuff, midnightpulp!

cutewizard
07-05-2016, 01:15 AM
Vegas is shit, tbh

houston spurs fan
07-05-2016, 01:23 AM
I'm not concerned about his defense as an individual..as I said earlier, his defense isn't far off from Duncan's, at this point..

In addition to his solid rim protection numbers, the Bulls ranked as one of the worst defenses in the NBA at allowing penetration, Gasol was tested more often than most other bigs in the league..it gave the perception that his defense was worse than the reality..

The concern vs. GS is obviously the mobility of the Gasol/Aldridge duo, though..neither of them have the defensive mobility of Adams/Ibaka or Tristan Thompson..they're also both finesse players..
This just in, water is wet

spurtech09
07-05-2016, 01:49 AM
I think he will be fine on the defensive side......Saw some youtube vids of Gasol on the Bulls and the dude can still play...LMA and Pau on the same team....now that's pretty good....

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2016, 02:07 AM
Adams and Kanter killed the Warriors on the boards.

We saw just how valuable length and rebounding are in playoff series against a small ball team.

Comparing Gasol, a finesse player, to Adams, a brawler, is a joke. Adams killed the Dubs because he is a Maori warrior on the court - a controlled wrecking ball - while Gasol is a completely different kind of player who relies on skill and smarts. All bigs aren't the same, y'know.

Don't get me wrong, I like Pau, but he's not what we need next to LMA. They are both soft, skillful players, and we needed to team LMA up with a banger. Once again our frontcourt is too soft.

In the best of all worlds I'd see us trade LMA for a banger and some young pieces because I don't like relying on a jumpshooter and a softie in the playoffs, but I am fully aware of the player-culture reasons we won't/can't do this.

Obstructed_View
07-05-2016, 02:17 AM
So how about a list of bangers that the Spurs can acquire?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2016, 02:18 AM
Dubs are the only dangerous smallball team. Every other team you don't have to worry about the pg shooting from anywhere on the court.

Dubs are the only team that matters.

Also, so many other teams are now embracing smallball as a philosophy that I'm pretty sure some other dangerous smallball teams will arise soon.

Obstructed_View
07-05-2016, 02:21 AM
Dubs are the only team that matters.

Also, so many other teams are now embracing smallball as a philosophy that I'm pretty sure some other dangerous smallball teams will arise soon.

If the Dubs are the only team that matters, then Pau Gasol, who had more points, rebounds and blocks per minute than Steven Adams, should be able to dominate the smaller players on the Dubs.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2016, 02:21 AM
So how about a list of bangers that the Spurs can acquire?

I haven't thought deeply about it because we're obviously not moving LMA for culture reasons. I'll have a think about the hypothetical of what we could get for LMA and get back to you.

As I said, I really like Pau's game at both ends, and he's the best we can do in this crazy off-season, but he and LMA are SOFT. I hope we can bring in a cheap banger to play behind them, someone with some physicality and a mean streak. Hmmm....

Obstructed_View
07-05-2016, 02:23 AM
I haven't thought deeply about it because we're obviously not moving LMA for culture reasons. I'll have a think about the hypothetical of what we could get for LMA and get back to you.

As I said, I really like Pau's game at both ends, and he's the best we can do in this crazy off-season, but he and LMA are SOFT. I hope we can bring in a cheap banger to play behind them, someone with some physicality and a mean streak. Hmmm....

Sorry, forget about that one. The second comment is more worthy of your response, IMO. Adams seems like he's really tough, but Gasol had better numbers all around in the same number of minutes. I think Gasol's a lot tougher than people give him credit for.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2016, 02:25 AM
If the Dubs are the only team that matters, then Pau Gasol, who had more points, rebounds and blocks per minute than Steven Adams, should be able to dominate the smaller players on the Dubs.

Really going with that line of thought? Adams dominated the Dubs physically and mentally, a crucial point in this. He intimidated them to the point they changed their games.

Pau will put up numbers, but he and LMA aren't going to intimidate anyone.

I'm surprised you aren't concerned about their softness. A double-skill bigman duo will only go so far when it gets nasty in the playoffs.

Kawhitstorm
07-05-2016, 02:26 AM
I keep reading about this concern from posters here and downstairs.

Gasol ranked 6th in DRPM among defensive centers. I know the concern is about his pick-and-roll defense, but not every team is Golden State, and having a shot blocking 7'1" center with length for days just makes our perimeter defense of Kawhi and Green that much tougher. The Spurs put up historic defensive metrics all year, despite not having a small ball center that can switch. The only reason the defense looked pedestrian in the 2nd round was because of the obvious Duncan decline, who could no longer shot-block and rebound like he once could earlier in the season. Gasol was a double-double machine this season.

The reason Noah got benched was b/c Pau was getting killed when he had to play the 4 since Noah wanted to play the 5. He won't have that issue on the Spurs since LMA wants no part of playing the 5.:lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2016, 02:27 AM
PS Steph and Klay went 6/6 on 3s over Adams in game 7. Poor bastard did everything right and they didn't miss on his watch. He's quicker out on the perimeter, and tougher on the inside, than either of our primary bigs. That concerns me.

TheGreatYacht
07-05-2016, 02:31 AM

Easy. Play both of them together because they're both bigger than Golden State. Did everyone forget OKC was 48 minutes away from going to the finals by playing them big? :lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2016, 02:34 AM
Maybe since the Nuggets love Jokic so much we should try and nab Nurkic? He has great size, a mean streak, and some skill to boot! Cheap too.

The other guy I'd look at, although not realistic due to the cap, is Amir Johnson. Unfortunately he has a $12m team option, abd nay command more on the market, so unlikely. Be a good 3rd big for us though.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2016, 02:35 AM
Easy. Play both of them together because they're both bigger than Golden State. Did everyone forget OKC was 48 minutes away from going to the finals by playing them big? :lol

Once again, OKC bigs played tough and overwhelmed them. LMA and Pau are finesse players and I don't see them overwhelming teams with physicality.

TheGreatYacht
07-05-2016, 02:36 AM
Comparing Gasol, a finesse player, to Adams, a brawler, is a joke. Adams killed the Dubs because he is a Maori warrior on the court - a controlled wrecking ball - while Gasol is a completely different kind of player who relies on skill and smarts. All bigs aren't the same, y'know.

Don't get me wrong, I like Pau, but he's not what we need next to LMA. They are both soft, skillful players, and we needed to team LMA up with a banger. Once again our frontcourt is too soft.

In the best of all worlds I'd see us trade LMA for a banger and some young pieces because I don't like relying on a jumpshooter and a softie in the playoffs, but I am fully aware of the player-culture reasons we won't/can't do this.
None of them are soft :lol You're drinking the Kobe fan koolaid. Never heard Pau get called soft until after he left the Lakers.

Aldridge led the team in scoring against OKC, not bad for a softie.

I guarantee you, if Adams had a jump shot you'd call him soft too. Jump shooting big men get called soft for some reason. Happened to Dirk until he rang.

Obstructed_View
07-05-2016, 02:45 AM
Really going with that line of thought? Adams dominated the Dubs physically and mentally, a crucial point in this. He intimidated them to the point they changed their games.

Pau will put up numbers, but he and LMA aren't going to intimidate anyone.

I'm surprised you aren't concerned about their softness. A double-skill bigman duo will only go so far when it gets nasty in the playoffs.

Well, you said that the Dubs are the only team that mattered. Adams didn't intimidate the Warriors, unless rolling on the ground holding his nuts is intimidating. The Warriors won three games in a row against them.

The team Adams really intimidated is the Spurs, but as you said, the Dubs are all that matters, so how Gasol and Aldridge match up with the Warriors is the important thing, and Adams isn't a factor. IMO :)

I'm concerned, for sure, but my concern is more about Pop not utilizing them properly, refusing to play them together against the Warriors, trying to match them with small lineups, overthinking matchups and coddling and protecting and over resting his players. I've probably said this already, but I think he's a lot tougher than people give him credit for. Gasol has been GREAT through his career at exploiting shorter players. Nobody is better at keeping the ball up when he catches it near the basket. It's a fucking nightmare for undersized front lines.

Nathan89
07-05-2016, 02:50 AM

OKC wasn't 48 minutes away by posting players up. That's the offense of the Spurs. Both OKC and Cavs gave GSW problems because they had two face to the basket guards. We have Kawhi who is fine but we also have two complete non-dribblers in Green and LMA. Tony is too old and slow to put pressure on the defense. I don't think we have a chance until we acquire a star pg.

Snaq O'Meal
07-05-2016, 02:52 AM
Once again, OKC bigs played tough and overwhelmed them. LMA and Pau are finesse players and I don't see them overwhelming teams with physicality.

Here's a video of Pau Gasol being dominated by tough banger Zaza Pachulia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juKWFMXIIpk

In your opinion, was Gasol too soft? Could any other tough banger fare much better?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2016, 02:53 AM
Well, you said that the Dubs are the only team that mattered. Adams didn't intimidate the Warriors, unless rolling on the ground holding his nuts is intimidating. The Warriors won three games in a row against them.

The team Adams really intimidated is the Spurs, but as you said, the Dubs are all that matters, so how Gasol and Aldridge match up with the Warriors is the important thing, and Adams isn't a factor. IMO :)

I'm concerned, for sure, but my concern is more about Pop not utilizing them properly, refusing to play them together against the Warriors, trying to match them with small lineups, overthinking matchups and coddling and protecting and over resting his players. I've probably said this already, but I think he's a lot tougher than people give him credit for. Gasol has been GREAT through his career at exploiting shorter players. Nobody is better at keeping the ball up when he catches it near the basket. It's a fucking nightmare for undersized front lines.

The 3 game Dubs win streak wasn't on Adams - he was doing his job while KD and Westbrook choked (and the Splash Bros got hot).

We've obviously zigged towards big and mid-range and slow, while the rest of the NBA has zagged towards fast and 3-or-layup and small. Given that trend, Pau fits what we're doing.

I'm glad we have him, and it'll be interesting to see how he and LMA play together, but I still think our front court is soft. We'll see how it turns out.

Obstructed_View
07-05-2016, 02:57 AM
I'm glad we have him, and it'll be interesting to see how he and LMA play together, but I still think our front court is soft. We'll see how it turns out.

I agree. Super glad to have him. I think the front court will be mismanaged by the coach. I damn sure don't hate the Spurs' chances against the Warriors in the playoffs if LMA and Pau each get 40 MPG. At least it feels like they have a chance right now. :lol

TheGreatYacht
07-05-2016, 02:58 AM
OKC wasn't 48 minutes away by posting players up. That's the offense of the Spurs. Both OKC and Cavs gave GSW problems because they had two face to the basket guards. We have Kawhi who is fine but we also have two complete non-dribblers in Green and LMA. Tony is too old and slow to put pressure on the defense. I don't think we have a chance until we acquire a star pg.
Spurs don't have much of a chance regardless, but to play them how THEY want us to play them isn't very smart. With Diaw leaving, that leaves us with a small ball lineup up Aldridge, Anderson, Leonard, Green, Parker/Manu... That ain't getting it done since Anderson, Green, and Parker/Manu are liabilities offensively and 3 out of those 4 are liabilities defensively. We have no choice but to go big and run it through the post unfortunately.

The way Pop has looked in the post season these last couple of years, this is pretty much a pointless conversation. (We also haven't even added the officiating factor :lol)

Kawhitstorm
07-05-2016, 03:56 AM

Did you forget they swapped Barnes w/ Dominos?:lol

Kawhitstorm
07-05-2016, 03:57 AM
None of them are soft :lol You're drinking the Kobe fan koolaid. Never heard Pau get called soft until after he left the Lakers.

Aldridge led the team in scoring against OKC, not bad for a softie.

I guarantee you, if Adams had a jump shot you'd call him soft too. Jump shooting big men get called soft for some reason. Happened to Dirk until he rang.

Even Kareem got called soft after he got mauled by Moses.:lol

Kawhitstorm
07-05-2016, 03:59 AM
The way Pop has looked in the post season these last couple of years, this is pretty much a pointless conversation. (We also haven't even added the officiating factor :lol)

Hopefully, ThudeRefs aren't part of the Dominos 2-for-1 deal.:lol

YGWHI
07-05-2016, 04:55 AM
Not a guarantee GS wins 65-75 games. They'll have some initial chemistry issues to overcome and might get off to a slow start.
Like the Spurs won't have their own chemistry issues on court next season.

Also, despite both are terrific professionals, not sure how the team will deal with the divergence in personality between Pau and LMA off court. Especially in losses.

But concerned about Pau's defense? No.

TheGreatYacht
07-05-2016, 05:01 AM
Hopefully, ThudeRefs aren't part of the Dominos 2-for-1 deal.:lol
Ratings will be at an all time low, until the NBA gets its wet dream of Cavs vs Warrior$ Part III. No way they'll pass up that trilogy especially with the world against the Warrior$

I hope the Jones fracture comes back, Curry's ankles get stepped on by Boris Diaw, Raymond has jaw surgery so he can finally keep his jaw shut overbite ass nigga, hope Kerr's spine snaps... Fuck their homo fans too

YGWHI
07-05-2016, 05:19 AM
I'm concerned, for sure, but my concern is more about Pop not utilizing them properly, refusing to play them together against the Warriors, trying to match them with small lineups, overthinking matchups and coddling and protecting and over resting his players.
Agree.

When Pop refuses to stay big,

When he sits LMA and Pau, both at the same and play some 2nd unit combo who can't rebound or protect the rim,

When he sits Kawhi/Danny at the same time and our perimeter defense will be reduced to Parker/Mills-Manu against younger and faster guards,

When he sits the guy with the hot hand to put Parker dribble-dribble-dribble playing ineffective pick and rolls in crucial moments,

When he rests Kawhi because 24 years old guys can't play more than 34 minutes per game in playoffs

Remember Game 2?

When these shits happen again...How LMA-Gasol match up w/Warriors will be the least of our worries.

TheGreatYacht
07-05-2016, 05:26 AM
These are the same retards that were worried about our defense this year when LMA was taking Splitter's overrated ass place.... Then the Spurs went on and had a historically great defense.

No free agent would've replaced Duncan's d, but we didn't get that big of a dropoff on that end and the offense just increased dramatically.

r0drig0lac
07-05-2016, 05:40 AM
Because they need something to bitch about, so they repeat the shit the idiot Lakers fans say.

BillMc
07-05-2016, 06:24 AM
These are the same retards that were worried about our defense this year when LMA was taking Splitter's overrated ass place.... Then the Spurs went on and had a historically great defense.

No free agent would've replaced Duncan's d, but we didn't get that big of a dropoff on that end and the offense just increased dramatically.

Agreed.

Spurtacular
07-05-2016, 08:26 AM
N/M

midnightpulp
07-05-2016, 12:13 PM
Like the Spurs won't have their own chemistry issues on court next season.

Also, despite both are terrific professionals, not sure how the team will deal with the divergence in personality between Pau and LMA off court. Especially in losses.

But concerned about Pau's defense? No.

I think the chemistry issues will be easier to handle for the Spurs than the Warriors. The Warriors are adding a superstar to their line up, and a rule of thumb is the higher usage a player is, the more difficult he'll having adapting. We're basically adding a Tim Duncan clone.

Also, the Spurs have been great in the Pop-era at adding new pieces with little-to-no chemistry issues. We dropped LMA in the lineup, completely changed the offensive system, and had the best regular season in history. And if Duncan knee doesn't go, who knows? Maybe the Spurs go all the way.

Might be smooth sailing for the Warriors, as well.

T Park
07-05-2016, 12:51 PM
Well, reading the concerns is one thing...believing them is another. I wouldn't. He should be an excellent team defender.

Yeah been watching stuff with him with the Bulls last year. He looked fine on PNR rotations, and when with guys like Leonard Green and Aldridge, he should be fine.

If they can beg Tim to come back they'll be set bugs wise IMO, a Gasol for Diaw West trade is one you do in a heartbeat.

T Park
07-05-2016, 12:53 PM
Some stats to chew on:

Gasol's at rim defense is only 2 percentage higher than Duncan's. And about equal to that of Ibaka, Stephen Adams, and Bogut. Look at Boris's at rim defense for comparison.

http://sportsbystats-s3-tut1ac8i.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/17180037/Nylon-Calculus-Rim-Protection-for-Gasol-Cavs-Warriors-and-Spurs-2014-15-.png

Gasol's man interior defense ranks 3rd on this list of bigs:

http://sportsbystats-s3-tut1ac8i.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/17175211/Contenders-Big-Men-Opponent-Field-Goal-Percentage-Difference-1.png

And here's some good news regarding everyone's major concern:

BUT

Spurs indeed did their homework here.

Now this is old school spurstalk stuff. Awesome awesome stuff

I. Hustle
07-05-2016, 12:54 PM
Yeah been watching stuff with him with the Bulls last year. He looked fine on PNR rotations, and when with guys like Leonard Green and Aldridge, he should be fine.

If they can beg Tim to come back they'll be set bugs wise IMO, a Gasol for Diaw West trade is one you do in a heartbeat.

Bugs?! Like bugaboos? You racist POS

T Park
07-05-2016, 12:55 PM

In the best of all worlds I'd see us trade LMA for a banger and some young pieces because I don't like relying on a jumpshooter and a softie in the playoffs, but I am fully aware of the player-culture reasons we won't/can't do thi

s.

Trade one of the top 15 players in the league? Are you effing kidding me?!

T Park
07-05-2016, 12:57 PM
Here's a video of Pau Gasol being dominated by tough banger Zaza Pachulia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juKWFMXIIpk

In your opinion, was Gasol too soft? Could any other tough banger fare much better?

Unless pachulia got traded in pre season, he was with the Mavericks last year not the Bucks. Also I see he dropped 46 and 18 on the Bucks, which for at his age is freaking unbelievable.

T Park
07-05-2016, 12:58 PM
Bugs?! Like bugaboos? You racist POS

Damnt, the dog whistle has been blown.

Bigs. Stupid autocorrect on my phone kills me every goddamn time.

Solid D
07-05-2016, 02:49 PM
Unless pachulia got traded in pre season, he was with the Mavericks last year not the Bucks. Also I see he dropped 46 and 18 on the Bucks, which for at his age is freaking unbelievable.

Pachulia looks more like Zsa Zsa Gabor to me in that video against Pau. "Dah-link, can you please not play so rough?"

TD 21
07-05-2016, 05:07 PM
I'm not. He's a similar defender to Duncan, just not as good.

I could care less if he's an awkward fit against the Warriors, since there's nothing they could have done to beat them. He should be more or less fine against the vast majority of the league.

Given that the depth has been gutted and there's limited means with which to replace it, this figures to be a more top heavy team than it's been in a while. They have no margin to error to begin with against those pricks, so if they even want to pretend to have a chance, they need to stay big as often as possible and pound them on the block, especially when Durant is at power forward. They can't afford to play inferior players in a desperate attempt to match-up with them.

YGWHI
07-06-2016, 04:36 AM
I think the chemistry issues will be easier to handle for the Spurs than the Warriors. The Warriors are adding a superstar to their line up, and a rule of thumb is the higher usage a player is, the more difficult he'll having adapting. We're basically adding a Tim Duncan clone.

Well, our best three offensive guys are frontcourt players and they like to play in the same area.

-Pau never was the 2nd option in the paint behind an offensive threat like LMA.

-Pau and Kawhi, both want to post-up often

-Pau and LMA, both expect to be involved in pick and rolls/pops

They won't fight for touches creating drama but one of those three guys won't get what he wants.

Anyway, hopefully the Dubs issues will be bigger than any problem we will face.

Rob123
07-06-2016, 08:21 AM

You're retarded.

antarescrane
07-06-2016, 03:00 PM
LOL you're right, we should've payed Mozgov 15 a year instead of Gasol. WTF. What does a "banger" even mean? Only bigs I rather have than Gasol are whiteside, Gobert, Bogut, and Adams, and none of those were realistic trade targets. Plus if we traded Aldridge for any of those, in theory, we won't even be a playoff team. Your takes are extremely retarded.

K...
07-06-2016, 06:12 PM
Gasols craftiness is like being a banger. You aren;t going to out bang zaza and dray, so why care about it. Slice and dice kills much better., I want LMA and Gasol to be passing like mad; both can finish, so it'll make a truly devastating combo

Snaq O'Meal
07-06-2016, 07:43 PM
LOL you're right, we should've payed Mozgov 15 a year instead of Gasol. WTF. What does a "banger" even mean? Only bigs I rather have than Gasol are whiteside, Gobert, Bogut, and Adams, and none of those were realistic trade targets. Plus if we traded Aldridge for any of those, in theory, we won't even be a playoff team. Your takes are extremely retarded.

None of those guys you've listed can effectively take advantage of short lineups the way Gasol can.

Gasol shitting on French big men Gobert and Diaw at Eurobasket 2015 was a thing of beauty. He had no trouble scoring over Gobert while swatting away Rudy's shot attempts at the other end.

I'm more interested to know how GSW will try to slow down Gasol in the paint. A tandem of Gasol and Aldridge is like a longer and more skilled version of Adams and Kanter.

spursreport
07-06-2016, 08:12 PM

Cavs will. Warriors are a jumpshooting team. They just added another shooter. Durant will have to be the alpha when the chips are down, and he has already shown he can't be one. Steph Curry isn't an alpha either as proof from the past 2 finals. Get physical with him as well and he wilts. Klay Thompson is just a sidekick as is Green. Unless Kevin Durant actually becomes a true alpha (he has been nothing but a playoff choker), or if the Warriors face injured teams again...this is a team that will fail when it is all said and done when adversity strikes.

spursreport
07-06-2016, 08:16 PM
:lmao The Golden State Warriors are the Peyton Manning Colts/Broncos of the NBA. Ungodly offense that wilts in high pressure situations and "alphas" who are truly mentally weak and soft and a championship won due to other "unsung heros/events/injuries".

antarescrane
07-06-2016, 08:24 PM
The real question is whether their defense holds up with Bogut gone. If Iggy loses a step, then their second unit takes a huge step back. KD is a pretty underrated defender though.

rastaspur
07-06-2016, 11:34 PM
Maybe since the Nuggets love Jokic so much we should try and nab Nurkic? He has great size, a mean streak, and some skill to boot! Cheap too.

The other guy I'd look at, although not realistic due to the cap, is Amir Johnson. Unfortunately he has a $12m team option, abd nay command more on the market, so unlikely. Be a good 3rd big for us though.

I like nurkic. Tough. Decent lateral speed. Always active. Seems coachable. Low bball iq though. Similar player to baynes

TrainOfThought5
07-06-2016, 11:43 PM

What do we have to trade to get Aron Baynes back?!?!?!

Amirite?!

cutewizard
07-07-2016, 02:23 AM
basically, advantages of having Gasol far outweigh disadvantages

T Park
09-24-2016, 10:33 PM
Going to post here to put this back to the front page for all the bloggers who called this spurs offseason "terrible because they signed Gasol"