PDA

View Full Version : Obvs: We win titles when we don't expect to and don't when we expect to.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2016, 11:25 PM
Of course, winning a title yesterday doesn't mean anymore will come. Regardless, we saw a title come well after the so-called window had been shut for years.

2016-17 feels like one of those seasons. Vegas is writing off the Spurs. Duncan retires, etc..

The one constant through the years has been Pop.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DPG21920
07-04-2016, 11:28 PM
And Tim and that is changing (it seems). It's a big change as well. For Pop. For SA fans. For the culture of the team. It will have to take on it's own identity now. Will it be mentally tough? Will Pop connect with this newer batch as he's always done with his superstar?

It will be a really fun season - watching GS included.

GSH
07-04-2016, 11:30 PM
LOL... it's funny, but true.

Of course now you've gooched it by saying it feels like they'll win it all. You've got to sneak up on these things.

SuperCam
07-04-2016, 11:30 PM
This team will never sniff another title with crater face at the helm. No more of Tim's coattails for him to ride.

Get boston, dallas and orlando on the phone and see if one of them would be willing to trade coaches tbh...

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2016, 11:31 PM
Kevin, is that you?

GSH
07-04-2016, 11:33 PM
And Tim and that is changing (it seems). It's a big change as well. For Pop. For SA fans. For the culture of the team. It will have to take on it's own identity now. Will it be mentally tough? Will Pop connect with this newer batch as he's always done with his superstar?

It will be a really fun season - watching GS included.

That's another thing. I barely remember a time without Tim. I mean, kinda... but the personality of this team has been centered around him for so long, I just don't think about it any other way. It's definitely going to be a weird experience.

Chinook
07-04-2016, 11:34 PM
The Spurs have the horses. They just need to ride true.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-04-2016, 11:37 PM
2205, 2007 and 2014 were all pretty unexpected.

The moment we get out to 10-1 I'm loading up. :D

baseline bum
07-04-2016, 11:38 PM
Of course, winning a title yesterday doesn't mean anymore will come. Regardless, we saw a title come well after the so-called window had been shut for years.

2016-17 feels like one of those seasons. Vegas is writing off the Spurs. Duncan retires, etc..

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LOL. Yeah 2005 was the only time I expected a title and it actually happened. The other years I expected a title were 04, 06, and 12.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2016, 11:43 PM
Also, RC seems to do his best work when we're trying to get back.

This was a 67 win team last season and the key loss is a 40 year old Duncan. Keys will be how Aldridge builds on his 1st Spur season and Green rebounding from a down year. Gasol putting in 16/11/2 a game is a very nice fit.

Make no mistake, Durant to GSW is an incredibly tough hurdle, but we've seen the putative teams of the century not live up to the hype again and again. Sometimes, that's been the Spurs.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2016, 11:58 PM
Pop winning a title without a Duncan or a Robinson. Maybe he's thinking about that in the Green Mountain State.

:pop:

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-05-2016, 11:06 AM

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was thinking the same thing. I'll be in LV in a couple of weeks...sounds like a nice off season bet opportunity. :cooldevil

Rummpd
07-05-2016, 01:47 PM
Warriors are not unbeatable. They will have little depth after their four superstars/stars. A healthy Clippers team or Spurs can both give them a run for the WC title.

tmtcsc
07-05-2016, 02:58 PM
I fully expected the last title as well as the near loss the previous year.

Ocotillo
07-05-2016, 03:02 PM
Pop winning a title without a Duncan or a Robinson. Maybe he's thinking about that in the Green Mountain State.

:pop:

Nah, he's just hangin' with Bonner.

BillMc
07-05-2016, 03:02 PM
2205, 2007 and 2014 were all pretty unexpected.

The moment we get out to 10-1 I'm loading up. :D

Man I'm looking forward to that 2205 title. Manu for FMVP!:lol

cd98
07-05-2016, 05:00 PM
Last year, when the Spurs signed LMA, the league thought the season was over and penciled in the Spurs as heavy favorites to win the championship. And the Spurs lost in the 2nd round. GSW will be the media darlings, but will have a target on their backs. We'll see how they do, but I wouldn't guarantee a championship for them and I wouldn't count out the Spurs just yet.

james evans
07-05-2016, 05:06 PM
LOL. Yeah 2005 was the only time I expected a title and it actually happened. The other years I expected a title were 04, 06, and 12.
I knew we'd win in 2014. I told everyone on THIS SITE and other sites. I guaranteed a title. Even after game 2 in the finals when you ungrateful mfs up here claimed it was over, I guaranteed a game 3 victory and I said it was gonna be easy. Shit, I picked us to sweep the Heat in 2014, they just lucked up to win 1 due to Parker and Duncan freethrows. do a search if you want to.

Taking it to the Hole
07-05-2016, 06:46 PM
I think 04' was personally the hardest year for me bc our team was pretty solid that year and Tim was playing lights out phenomenal basketball and to get cheated by little POS Fisher and his illegal shot after Tim had hit that fade away jumper over O'Neal. Man, that hurt more than 2013.

SAGirl
07-06-2016, 03:07 AM
I am in the let's make Durbeta cry like 2011 LeBron train.

We pull a move like the 2011 Mavs, only better bc we have a better team. We may have much more depth too than last season, we just don't know it yet bc we had an appearance of depth but the guys we relied on made disappearing acts. So now we are the underdog with the retirement of Tim and the unknown rejuvenation in the bench. But now we carry a lot of hungry young dudes and a few will be busting a move or two surprising bc they can see the paycheck coming. Yes some may be gone after this perfect storm of a season bc we won't be able to afford all of them while making a run at an all star PG in 2017, but it could happen we brew a one hit wonder b4 reloading.

Perfect storm coming. How's that for a fantasy land?

PS I aimed to be sarcastic and funny. In reality I am ready to root for my team no matter what.

tbdog
07-06-2016, 04:32 AM
Dallas didn't just beat the favourites Heat team, they went through good teams, mainly the defending championships Lakers who they swept, and Thunder, who although young had Ibaka, Harden, Westbrook and Durant. There is a chance the Spurs could have to go through Jazz, Blazers, Clippers, Grizzlies and closer to defiantly than likely the Warriors before meeting the Eastern champs.

Now despite Blazers and Jazz retooling, I don't believe they are better than the Lakers or Thunder at the time, but if we have to go through Clippers before Warriors for example, then proceed to the Finals, it would take a great performance like Dirk did by LMA or Leonard for us to get there. It is a tough order to ask.

What was crazy about the Mavs team was the second best player was Terry who as always shot inconsistent, did hit timely shot and he still manage to put up around 17ppg. Kidd was steady. Barea was good in one series and not so good against the Heat, which surprising people think he was. But the x factors were Marian and Chandler, who were just so damn solid on D and good % shots.

Green would have to be like Marian and just play damn good D and hit his shots. Mills needs to explode one series, hopefully the hardest series of them all. Parker would have to be steady and not hurt the team. And Gasol would need to provide solid on both sides, but at least make up for what his defensive issues. It would require a lot.