PDA

View Full Version : started new job today... ouch

Spurfect
10-03-2005, 09:59 PM
my feet feel like two giant blisters

I finally got back to working after my whole evacuating fiasco. I'm still helping Katrina (and now Rita) victims but now instead of working for Red Cross I work for FEMA

the bad part is I'm on my feet and constantly moving for 12 freakin hours. I get one thirty minute lunch break and two 15 minute breaks.. and that's IT! i seriously was in pain. I have to guide the "refugees" to where they are supposed to go and the building is super huge so I'm going back and forth constantly. and i only got one 15 minute break today :cuss

and then we gotta work 6 days a week, all 12 hour days. Oh well, for $170 a day I guess I'll walk until my feet are raw :lol

ANYWAYS.. I guess I wanna ask, wtf shoes are good for this kind of walking all day long? I thought I had some comfy shoes and I wore them today and they didn't help at all. I need the comfiest shoes ever made. anyone know of any?

Kori Ellis
10-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Any shoes by Aerosoles.

Ginofan
10-03-2005, 10:03 PM
I'm not sure what kind of shoes would be best but, once you get used to walking that much and being on your feet that long you'll get used to it and it won't be so bad. It's just gonna suck right now, sorry!

kris
10-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Get some light running shoes with large foam soles. Sacuny Jazz, New Balance and Brooks come to mind. You'll feel a lot lighter on your feet and these types of shoes aren't very expensive.

MannyIsGod
10-03-2005, 10:10 PM
New Balance.

Spurfect
10-03-2005, 10:12 PM
two suggestions of New Balance.. think I might have to check those out :tu

I did hear Aerosoles were good also

angel_luv
10-03-2005, 10:15 PM
I work as a hostess so I have compassion for the on your feet helping crowds thing- although your job is much more intense than any one I've had.

Best of Luck! = )

Spurfect
10-03-2005, 10:25 PM
I work as a hostess so I have compassion for the on your feet helping crowds thing- although your job is much more intense than any one I've had.

Best of Luck! = )

you know how it feels huh! Well I hope it gets better.. i.e. i get used to it soon :(

angel_luv
10-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Good shoes will help you a lot.

midgetonadonkey
10-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Isn't it against the law for you to work so much without getting the proper breaks? Anyway, why don't you try nurses' shoes. They may be ugly but they might help your feet.

Vashner
10-03-2005, 10:50 PM
Well it's FEMA so I would imagine the workhour rules are thrown out the window. You know that E part of the name?

John T
10-03-2005, 10:55 PM
What parts of your feet hurt? I know there's a popular tennis shoe with nurses, it has a spring under the heel. My grandma LOVES them, and the nurses swear by them:

http://www.zcoil.com/

They're pretty expensive though. If you're not able to spend that much money, I add another vote for the New Balance shoes. I've been wearing them for years. Walking shoes would probably be better than running shoes. But seriously, if you have specific pain points, high arches, whatever, and you want more info on the best type of shoe for you, feel free to let me know. My husband used to sell them, and he's a runner so he's fairly familiar with different things to look for.

Carie

Spurfect
10-03-2005, 11:00 PM
What parts of your feet hurt? I know there's a popular tennis shoe with nurses, it has a spring under the heel. My grandma LOVES them, and the nurses swear by them:

http://www.zcoil.com/

They're pretty expensive though. If you're not able to spend that much money, I add another vote for the New Balance shoes. I've been wearing them for years. Walking shoes would probably be better than running shoes. But seriously, if you have specific pain points, high arches, whatever, and you want more info on the best type of shoe for you, feel free to let me know. My husband used to sell them, and he's a runner so he's fairly familiar with different things to look for.

Carie

haha that spring looks kinda funny. but I dont care HOW I look, I just wanna be comfortable! lol. anyway the parts that hurt are the sides of my feet and the soles. I guess my shoes weren't wide enough or something cause they really hurt on the edges of my feet, and of course the sole of my feet from being on them so long.

Spurfect
10-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Well it's FEMA so I would imagine the workhour rules are thrown out the window. You know that E part of the name?

yeah, they even went as far as saying we might not even have a day off until a whole 7 day week or even two 7 day weeks. 12 hours a day? :wow

John T
10-03-2005, 11:04 PM
Where on the soles? The padding by the toes, your arch, your heels? I'm not sure about the Z-Coil, but I know New Balance has a range of wide sizes. You can even go to guy's sizes. I tend to like their colors better anyway...

Carie

Spurfect
10-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Where on the soles? The padding by the toes, your arch, your heels? I'm not sure about the Z-Coil, but I know New Balance has a range of wide sizes. You can even go to guy's sizes. I tend to like their colors better anyway...

Carie

oops heels is what I meant..definitely heels! yeah my feet are kinda wide, that is probably the problem

John T
10-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Those Z-Coils are supposed to help with the heels. John said either walking or running shoes could be okay, it just depends on the shoe. Just make sure that if you get running shoes they have plenty of support. Good luck with the job and the shoes, and if you have any other questions just throw something in my direction :)

Carie

angel_luv
10-03-2005, 11:52 PM
Those coil shoes are awesome. I have several family members that have been really helped by them.

Horry For 3!
10-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Your getting a lot of exercise, that is good for your health but your feet hurting is not good. For shoes, hmm I like my Nike boots :) they are comfy but I guess you can go with New Balance since so many people said that. I personally I never had any New Balance shoes so I have no idea.

E20
10-04-2005, 12:47 AM
Wear some 2K5, maybe some 2K4 Huraches.

Vashner
10-04-2005, 02:05 AM
Thank you for serving the public... I am proud of you.

TDMVPDPOY
10-04-2005, 03:28 AM
Hey man dont wear or buy new shoes, who knows those brothers mite get hasty and jump u for ur shoes then next thing on the media bros jump voluntary katrina workers for new shoes. I can see rapper comin out sayin shit like media hates darkness.

Spam
10-04-2005, 06:36 AM
You'd have less soreness and swellin'
If you were gellin' like magellan!

http://www.drscholls.com/images/product/medium/Massaging_Gel_BOF_Cushions.gif

tlongII
10-04-2005, 11:26 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/tlongII/nike_free_pink.jpg

The Nike Free 5.0 is the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn. Above is a women's model.

For years, athletes have been training barefoot. And they discovered it made their feet stronger. So we fused nature and technology to develop a shoe that mimics the natural mechanics of your foot. Because when your foot's in control, it's free to get stronger.

Mimics barefoot movement to reawaken and strengthen your feet.
Outsole's flex grooves allow more natural motion.
Upper moves with the foot and the outside so the foot controls the shoe, not the other way around.

2Blonde
10-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Rockports are supposed to be great for lots of walking. My mom always wears them when she travels.

MiNuS
10-04-2005, 12:05 PM
IMO

Nike are the most comfortable! I use Nike running shoes and are pure air compared to the hard sole New Balance.

Ofcourse every foot is differrent.

Guru of Nothing
10-04-2005, 12:05 PM
These look comfy ...

http://www.ernest.fr/livre/thumb/high_heel_18.jpg

... or try these ...

http://www.pregrad.net/thumbs/455b.jpg

batman2883
10-04-2005, 12:28 PM
you need a nice foot massage

1Parker1
10-04-2005, 12:31 PM
^^U volunteering?^^ :lol

batman2883
10-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Hell yeah im volunteering, Spurfect is my forum dream girl

GoldToe
10-04-2005, 12:36 PM
A nice comfortable pair of socks will help.