07-07-2016, 09:56 AM

BatManu20
07-07-2016, 09:57 AM
That was fast.

https://youtu.be/xJ2aqSjSWyI

raybies
07-07-2016, 09:58 AM
Was he really that good?

Harlem, Chinook most notably wanted him. Sorry if I missed your name.

Mouth is Bleeding
07-07-2016, 09:59 AM
It's all happening!!!!

Without having watched him too much or looked at all his numbers this seems very good getting him cheaper than Boban, unless Boban really is a monster and not a liability at all on both ends playing extended minutes, but I seriously doubt that.

raybies
07-07-2016, 09:59 AM
Where's this money coming from. I'm assuming Duncan is retiring

jyra
07-07-2016, 10:00 AM
Looks like the Room Exception. Really looking forward to seeing him play after all the talk about him.

Nathan89
07-07-2016, 10:07 AM
But... but... there weren't any leaks so that means they weren't interested.

jermaine
07-07-2016, 10:10 AM
This nicca is nasty! Lawd i cant wait!

TheGreatYacht
07-07-2016, 10:10 AM
Looks like the Room Exception. Really looking forward to seeing him play after all the talk about him.
If true... Manure took all the money we had left

:pctoss overpaid

Spurs9
07-07-2016, 10:12 AM
I was watching this dude the other day in the summer league, he stood out.

raybies
07-07-2016, 10:13 AM
That was fast.

Thanks for the vid!

Need a scouting report but based on the video, he seems to be a shot blocker, capable roller, a garbage guy, and has some range.

jermaine
07-07-2016, 10:13 AM
Someone said something about seeing Manu an Paul play together.. Hell Ginobili is gonna make this nicca look like Jesus nephew!

TheGreatYacht
07-07-2016, 10:14 AM
Someone said something about seeing Manu an Paul play together.. Hell Ginobili is gonna make this nicca look like Jesus nephew!
Jesus the paletero's nephew? Cause I know you ain't talking about THE Jesus.

The only players Manu sets up is the other team after a turnover.

raybies
07-07-2016, 10:20 AM
Well he's only 26. Turns 27 in August and should be entering the prime of his career.

loveforthegame
07-07-2016, 10:22 AM
Yes. :tu

CosmicCowboy
07-07-2016, 10:24 AM
guy looks deadly inside 6".

sasaint
07-07-2016, 10:29 AM

I was shaking my head when his agent announced Manu's intentions to return to the NBA. Just when I was getting hyped about Forbes, who will probably get to be the towel-waver now.

sasaint
07-07-2016, 10:42 AM
Get ready for Hack-a-Dedmon. I loved Boban's shooting touch, but I was never convinced he was an NBA-caliber player with his poor/slow footwork.

RGMCSE
07-07-2016, 10:43 AM
That was fast.

Boban who?:lol This dude plays some d, has a stroke and is athletic as they come! Lol Spurs do it again!!

Nathan89
07-07-2016, 10:46 AM
I was shaking my head when his agent announced Manu's intentions to return to the NBA. Just when I was getting hyped about Forbes, who will probably get to be the towel-waver now.

If he's good he'll get to play enough minutes. KA will be getting some pf minutes. Simmons shouldn't getting much play time. Who knows what Bertans will do. Forbes could get some minutes at the 2 with Manu at the 3. Also we'll be blowing teams out so he'll get plenty of garbage time.

TheGreatYacht
07-07-2016, 10:46 AM
Great (non-bias) post :tu

Mouth is Bleeding
07-07-2016, 10:47 AM
Get ready for Hack-a-Dedmon. I loved Boban's shooting touch, but I was never convinced he was an NBA-caliber player with his poor/slow footwork.

I for one would love finally being the recipient of the Hack-a !

So often it ends up being in the recipient's favor.

What a bonus if that were to happen!

Nathan89
07-07-2016, 10:49 AM
I love that he isn't completely inept to putting the ball on the floor when running the pnr. Also despite the overwhelming number of dunks he can finish in other ways at the rim. Can't wait to watch him and the team. I'm assuming he'll be the first big off the bench.

Solid D
07-07-2016, 10:52 AM
Warriors now have to look elsewhere. Reed, perhaps.

raybies
07-07-2016, 10:56 AM

Interesting. Not bad at all.

raybies
07-07-2016, 10:58 AM

Mouth is Bleeding
07-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Someone who can actually roll is great news for the bench.

I predict that Manu's assists will go up again.

playbonner15
07-07-2016, 11:04 AM
Thought this news broke ST. Apparently it was the Boban one :(. Accdg to my orlando buds he's a servicable backup big

playbonner15
07-07-2016, 11:04 AM
And looks like FO is done with.any turd towers frontline :lol

MVPCues
07-07-2016, 11:05 AM
But can he clap? <wonders what the lowlights look like>

jeebus
07-07-2016, 11:07 AM
6 inches? Well, everyone in the NBA minus Danny Green is deadly inside 6 inches.

Duncan2177
07-07-2016, 11:10 AM
Good signing. :tu

Robz4000
07-07-2016, 11:13 AM
JHUTT

popdagreat
07-07-2016, 12:18 PM
to see this guy next to pau or aldridge :lmao

paus assists going up.

TDomination
07-07-2016, 12:30 PM
Heres a good video to show you where Dewayne came from.

It got me cheering for this kid. I hope he pans out with the Spurs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snntfwaXxt0&amp;feature=youtu.be

SpursFan86
07-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Apparently it's a player option for the 2nd year...hard to see any scenario where he doesn't end up opting out and getting more money, but regardless, gotta be happy with getting him this year for $3 million considering some of these other contracts being handed out.

Should be interesting seeing him in the PnR with Manu. I expect a fair amount of dropped passes but as long as he's better than Ayres in that department we should be fine :lol

Raven
07-07-2016, 12:45 PM
damn, this is awful

myhc
07-07-2016, 12:46 PM
Thanks for posting that video. Great story indeed. Love this move. The Spurs do it again.

cjw
07-07-2016, 12:50 PM

No, his cap hold stayed on the books and now they can resign him to whatever they want (Bird rights). His salary is totally irrelevant.

Russo21
07-07-2016, 12:56 PM
So we get Denmon and Gasol but lose timmay and Boban? We have to keep Boban in some way. He's awesome and has huge interest in the fan base
Keep Boban!!!!

loveforthegame
07-07-2016, 12:58 PM
Where's Chinook? This was his guy.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-07-2016, 12:59 PM

:lol

That's a dunkful highlight reel...very true!!

07-07-2016, 01:03 PM
So is the entire Spurs bench going to be playing in the summer league? :lol

Dedmon might be the one with the most NBA experience since he almost looked like a legit back up C last year.

Leetonidas
07-07-2016, 01:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeM_d6ak1Js

:lol shitting on Gasol

Leetonidas
07-07-2016, 01:06 PM
At least Spurs have another player that can catch lobs besides Kawhi

DJR210
07-07-2016, 01:06 PM
But can he clap? <wonders what the lowlights look like>

I too wonder this

Obstructed_View
07-07-2016, 01:08 PM
So the Spurs get the poor man's Mahinmi. Woot.

ceperez
07-07-2016, 01:12 PM
So the Spurs get the poor man's Mahinmi. Woot.

Yup. I just wonder if Spurs could have just kept Bobo and matched for Boban. Just hoping the rookies are going to be better than advertised.

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2016, 01:13 PM
He was my #1 choice for the off-season, tbh(knowing Durant had 0% chance of joining the Spurs)..nice buy-low option that should thrive with real coaching and teammates(which he didn't have in Orlando)

Still a project on offense, can't create for himself, but great pick&roll and finisher off the catch(draws a lot of and-1s, too, IIRC)..defense is his strength, though, particularly rim protection, although fouling is an issue for him..

Obstructed_View
07-07-2016, 01:16 PM
Yup. I just wonder if Spurs could have just kept Bobo and matched for Boban. Just hoping the rookies are going to be better than advertised.

I don't see how they could do one of those, let alone both, unless you didn't want Gasol. I just hope the rookies aren't some combination of useless and completely wasted by Pop.

ceperez
07-07-2016, 01:17 PM
He was my #1 choice for the off-season, tbh(knowing Durant had 0% chance of joining the Spurs)..nice buy-low option that should thrive with real coaching and teammates(which he didn't have in Orlando)

Still a project on offense, can't create for himself, but great pick&roll and finisher off the catch(draws a lot of and-1s, too, IIRC)..defense is his strength, though, particularly rim protection, although fouling is an issue for him..

Quite underwelmed, but he's got height and a good vertical. Not very skilled, but DeAndre Jordan isn't very skilled also but is a menace.

BillMc
07-07-2016, 01:20 PM
Edit

UZER
07-07-2016, 01:22 PM
:pop: I hope he can make layups and catch bounce passes on the break. He ain't gonna be dunking like that here.

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2016, 01:24 PM
The Spurs are serious underdogs, despite what many here think, tbh..barring injury, they have a slim chance of contending by signing washed-up veterans and finished products IMO..

While part of the reason they are loading up with young, unknown players(and banking on Anderson, Simmons, etc) and Internationals is to be fiscally efficient, it's also the correct strategy from a basketball perspective IMO..they need to hit on some of these buy-low projects, they are loading up on athleticism and potential shooters..the unknown that leads to potential disappointment is still better than adding finished products with just an average ROI..

Manu and Mills are the veterans on the bench..Ginobili, in particular, is the leader of the 2nd unit and he's going to run things most of the time, anyways..I'm excited that they're surrounding them with young-ish, athletic players and potential shooters, rather than washed-up, known products like Kevin Martin..

gambit1990
07-07-2016, 01:26 PM
i really like this :tu

benefactor
07-07-2016, 01:26 PM
Quite underwelmed, but he's got height and a good vertical. Not very skilled, but DeAndre Jordan isn't very skilled also but is a menace.
But you love the shit out of some scrubs that will never be real NBA players. Just stop posting.

Kawhitstorm
07-07-2016, 01:30 PM
I was watching this dude the other day in the summer league, he stood out.

That's the WRONG Dedmon.:lol

spurraider21
07-07-2016, 01:31 PM
better pg than Parker

r0drig0lac
07-07-2016, 01:32 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/lobt2.gif

phxspurfan
07-07-2016, 01:33 PM
The Spurs are serious underdogs, despite what many here think, tbh..barring injury, they have a slim chance of contending by signing washed-up veterans and finished products IMO..

While part of the reason they are loading up with young, unknown players(and banking on Anderson, Simmons, etc) and Internationals is to be fiscally efficient, it's also the correct strategy from a basketball perspective IMO..they need to hit on some of these buy-low projects, they are loading up on athleticism and potential shooters..the unknown that leads to potential disappointment is still better than adding finished products with just an average ROI..

Manu and Mills are the veterans on the bench..Ginobili, in particular, is the leader of the 2nd unit and he's going to run things most of the time, anyways..I'm excited that they're surrounding them with young-ish, athletic players and potential shooters, rather than washed-up, known products like Kevin Martin..

Good post. I also like the strategy of young athletic dudes entering their primes versus a bunch of washed up vets. Remember that season (08 I think) when we had all those washed up vets and thought we would ring, lol. Finley, van exel, etc.

jermaine
07-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Jordan an Howard comes to mind watching this guy. But can hit the midrange a bit. The Spurs hasn't had a guy that loves the paint an rebound since Blair. Only this nicca got height to go with it. We sure haven't had anyone who finishes like he does that i can remember.

montgod
07-07-2016, 01:35 PM
So I would assume there goes all the cap space along w/Manu signing. Anyone else that comes, would have to be a minimum deal I would assume.

gambit1990
07-07-2016, 01:38 PM
i wanted thomas robinson but dedmon is taller so i'm fine with it. would've taken either over boban.

intlspurshk
07-07-2016, 01:40 PM
It looks like Budford has gradually implemented his plan to fill the roster with long players. I really like these moves and Spurs finally moved away from the signing of the veterans and fcuk GW & small balls.

gambit1990
07-07-2016, 01:41 PM
get him in pick n rolls with simmons, kawhi, manu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ2aqSjSWyI

eDizzle20
07-07-2016, 01:44 PM
Great pickup and value.

timtonymanu
07-07-2016, 01:45 PM
Nice!

DPG21920
07-07-2016, 01:48 PM
I am so pumped. Along with HH & Chinook, I really wanted this guy especially when it became more apparent West/Tim were gone.

Spurs needed a big with bounce after having LMA/Tim/West/Bonner/Boris/Boban. He is that guy. He's not an all-star but for this money, he's one of the only players with enough upside and fit to be a home run which is what SA needs in order to have a high ceiling.

He reminds me of a Brandon Wright type. His advanced numbers are really solid and he is exactly the type of player that SA needed.

Between upside, actual fit/team need this was a home run signing!!

He & Terrence Jones were the guys I really wanted outside of Pau, so I'm ecstatic.

ceperez
07-07-2016, 01:53 PM
I am so pumped. Along with HH & Chinook, I really wanted this guy especially when it became more apparent West/Tim were gone.

Spurs needed a big with bounce after having LMA/Tim/West/Bonner/Boris/Boban. He is that guy. He's not an all-star but for this money, he's one of the only players with enough upside and fit to be a home run which is what SA needs in order to have a high ceiling.

He reminds me of a Brandon Wright type. His advanced numbers are really solid and he is exactly the type of player that SA needed.

He & Terrence Jones were the guys I really wanted outside of Pau, so I'm ecstatic.

Well, I like your enthusiasm. Does he know how to pass?

DPG21920
07-07-2016, 01:55 PM
Also, two things:

1. Thank GOD SA was on his trail. I was really worried with the reports on GS going after Dedmon. He would have been a massive grab for them regardless of if he actually panned out. They can't have anymore upside and keeping him out of GS hands was big. It also relieves me because it means SA was truly hunting for bigs like him which they recognize is a big need. Things are on the right track!

2. It's also good to see that my logic held true. Many people on here were questioning why "Dedmon would choose SA over GS". I have been saying that with Tim/West/Boban/Boris gone there is actual playing time available for bigs and with Pau/LMA it would be a VERY attractive place for upside younger-ish bigs to play because they would get a great coach, have the "Spurs branding" on them now & get actual rotation minutes.

Great to see that logic held true with Dedmon

Keepin' it real
07-07-2016, 01:58 PM
Well, I like your enthusiasm. Does he know how to pass?

He's not a point guard. He's a 7 foot 1 center bought on the cheap. Who cares if he can pass?

Nathan89
07-07-2016, 02:01 PM
Also, two things:

1. Thank GOD SA was on his trail. I was really worried with the reports on GS going after Dedmon. He would have been a massive grab for them regardless of if he actually panned out. They can't have anymore upside and keeping him out of GS hands was big. It also relieves me because it means SA was truly hunting for bigs like him which they recognize is a big need. Things are on the right track!

2. It's also good to see that my logic held true. Many people on here were questioning why "Dedmon would choose SA over GS". I have been saying that with Tim/West/Boban/Boris gone there is actual playing time available for bigs and with Pau/LMA it would be a VERY attractive place for upside younger-ish bigs to play because they would get a great coach, have the "Spurs branding" on them now & get actual rotation minutes.

Did we not pay him more than GSW could offer?

BillMc
07-07-2016, 02:01 PM
Also, two things:

Nice post.

I hope he blossoms under our coaching staff and veteran's attention. Everyone is so hi on him, and don't want to be a bringdown, but what his weaknesses? Why hasn't he been more successful so far in the NBA?

DPG21920
07-07-2016, 02:05 PM
Did we not pay him more than GSW could offer?

Not sure. Even if so, it was not so much to where people were claiming that "No way he signs with SA over GS, why would he". No where in those types of posts was money really mentioned either IIRC.

callo1
Jeez, I was hoping for Drew Gooden or Carlos Boozer:

:rolleyes

Mugen
Love this pickup tbh. Sad to see Boban gone but it makes sense with Pau already on the team. Team needed some athleticism in the frontcourt and this was the best available on the market considering his price tag.

Steve-O-Matic
07-07-2016, 02:06 PM
We're going to have much better rim protection this season. Dedmon was 9th in the league in Block Rate (blocks-per-minute) last season, and Paul Gasol was 11th (Pau was also 2nd in the league in blocks-to-fouls ratio). Our best Block Rate last year was Duncan, who was 24th in the league.

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2016, 02:07 PM
Nice post.

I hope he blossoms under our coaching staff and veteran's attention. Everyone is so hi on him, and don't want to be a bringdown, but what his weaknesses? Why hasn't he been more successful so far in the NBA?

He's a bad offensive player..his only skill is catching and finishing..can't create for himself, can't pass, can't shoot..similar to Biyombo and others of that nature, reliant on others to create for him..

Defensively, he has a major problem with fouling..overall, though, he grades really well in virtually all defensive metrics, both team and individual..

He's coming off by far his most productive per-minute season in the NBA, though..it's also encouraging that the other team interested in his services was the other(along with SA) premiere front office in the league (GS)

Spurs9
07-07-2016, 02:08 PM
I just dont like this player option contract after 1st year. If he does well he helps us this year, then some other team overpays next year and we lose him. Basically devloping players for other teams to sign. I dont know how other teams will handle it either for as much as they are giving out in contracts. Warriors will have 4 max players and try to rely on most outside that to be minimums. Cap is going up lower than projected next year too, 103million.

Proxy
07-07-2016, 02:08 PM

one of the all-star games.... Manu, Dirk, and pau were out there together. It was great to watch even though they were all fucking around.

Excited to see Manu run point with the rest of the starting 5

TheGreatYacht
07-07-2016, 02:09 PM
Convinced Warriors FO reads Spurstalk.

I really hope they don't go after Jeff Ayres or Austin Daye. Those Warriors, always ahead of the league.

BillMc
07-07-2016, 02:10 PM
He's a bad offensive player..his only skill is catching and finishing..can't create for himself, can't pass, can't shoot..similar to Biyombo and others of that nature, reliant on others to create for him..

Defensively, he has a major problem with fouling..overall, though, he grades really well in virtually all defensive metrics, both team and individual..

He's coming off by far his most productive per-minute season in the NBA, though..it's also encouraging that the other team interested in his services was the other(along with SA) premiere front office in the league (GS)

Cheers. Thanks for that. So he's a homeless man's DeAndre Jordan?

Nathan89
07-07-2016, 02:10 PM
Not sure. Even if so, it was not so much to where people were claiming that "No way he signs with SA over GS, why would he". No where in those types of posts was money really mentioned either IIRC.

1.x mil is significant at that level though. Especially when both options are great options. If someone questions "why?" though then money should be part of the reason to that question.

DPG21920
07-07-2016, 02:11 PM

What he said, plus, inexplicably he was not getting minutes available on ORL for no good reason.

He's a great finisher off of lobs and put backs, has good enough hands on the roll to the rim, but other than that, he's not going to be an offensive player.

His value lies in his mobility, rebounding and shot blocking which SA's bench really needed.

Ice009
07-07-2016, 02:12 PM
I just dont like this player option contract after 1st year. If he does well he helps us this year, then some other team overpays next year and we lose him. Basically devloping players for other teams to sign. I dont know how other teams will handle it either for as much as they are giving out in contracts. Warriors will have 4 max players and try to rely on most outside that to be minimums. Cap is going up lower than projected next year too, 103million.

Yeah, I would have loved it a lot more if it was for a straight 2 years, rather than having that player option. Do you guys think we'd lose him if he plays well?

Dex
07-07-2016, 02:12 PM
At least Spurs have another player that can catch lobs besides Kawhi

Now we just need to find some players who can actually throw them. :lol

DPG21920
07-07-2016, 02:13 PM
1.x mil is significant at that level though. Especially when both options are great options. If someone questions "why?" though then money should be part of the reason to that question.

Maybe, but that was not the overarching point to those people's point. They were discounting the logic of SA being a good place for bigs like Dedmone because money aside, they thought GS was EVEN BETTER.

1M in this market is not really significant IMO. If someone has a chance to secure a much bigger contract in 1-2 years they aren't passing up a clear cut better chance to star/increase worth in a major market for 1M.

BillMc
07-07-2016, 02:14 PM
What he said, plus, inexplicably he was not getting minutes available on ORL for no good reason.

He's a great finisher off of lobs and put backs, has good enough hands on the roll to the rim, but other than that, he's not going to be an offensive player.

His value lies in his mobility, rebounding and shot blocking which SA's bench really needed.

Thanks. Look forward to seeing him play. We need at least 1 more big now though...

Dex
07-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Convinced Warriors FO reads Spurstalk.

I really hope they don't go after Jeff Ayres or Austin Daye. Those Warriors, always ahead of the league.

I bet Bateer is still available.

DPG21920
07-07-2016, 02:17 PM
And I'm not calling anyone out. I don't care to go back and look at who said what. I'm just happy that my logic held strong with seeing the bright side of the not so bright spot SA found themselves in with limited money, a need for bigs and lots of competition.

I'm happy because it means SA has really put themselves on the map as a FA destination even though they are a small market. Now when SA is close in money (Dedmon), has less money (West last year) or equal money (LMA last year) they are being taken seriously by all levels when teams like OKC, CLE, etc.. Could not do the same thing.

Bodes damn well for next year and beyond when SA really re-tools around LMA/Kawhi/Danny.

Nathan89
07-07-2016, 02:17 PM

Not being able to create for yourself isn't very problematic in this league. The only offensive problem I see from what you described is the inability to pass. Unfortunately, we don't have the elite guard play to maximize this type of player.

DPG21920
07-07-2016, 02:18 PM
Cheers. Thanks for that. So he's a homeless man's DeAndre Jordan?

I know you didn't ask me, but I think it's more like Brandon Wright. A guy with good length, very good athleticism that has limited offensive game but grades out well with advanced stats.

Wright has always been that "breakout numbers" guy; but he keeps getting injured. Dedmon to me is very similar to him.

Nathan89
07-07-2016, 02:20 PM
Pat yourself on the back if you please but a money difference matters. You could very well be right for the wrong reasons.

DPG21920
Not being able to create for yourself isn't very problematic in this league. The only offensive problem I see from what you described is the inability to pass. Unfortunately, we don't have the elite guard play to maximize this type of player.

Keep in mind that Pau is an elite passer for a big. LMA is solid, but not spectacular. If Dedmon plays along side any starting big, he's ok to cover up there even though it's a flaw and at times if he's getting the ball outside of when it's a lob or he's in the PNR it could be ugly.

However, on the bench with Manu (willing passer), Mills (not so great), Kyle (very good passer) & Simmons (solid enough) he should be in good shape with the bench.

BillMc
I know you didn't ask me, but I think it's more like Brandon Wright. A guy with good length, very good athleticism that has limited offensive game but grades out well with advanced stats.

Wright has always been that "breakout numbers" guy; but he keeps getting injured. Dedmon to me is very similar to him.

Cheers!:toast

So I gues

DPG21920
07-07-2016, 02:21 PM
Pat yourself on the back if you please but a money difference matters. You could very well be right for the wrong reasons.

Ok. I now get the sense that you were the one asking "why would players sign with SA over GS".

J_Paco
07-07-2016, 02:23 PM
Now we just need to find some players who can actually throw them. :lol

Other than Timmy.:depressed:depressed:depressed

Still have needs at the PG spot, back up or 3rd PF spot and another swingman to fill out the roster (depending on Timmy's decision).

Kyle Anderson is going to need to make leap in production regardless of that looking at the current roster.

DPG21920
07-07-2016, 02:23 PM
Ok. I now get the sense that you were the one asking "why would players sign with SA over GS".

Why would Dedmon pick the spurs over GSW? That team will showcase his talents and allow him to get a big contract next year.

:lmao Yup! No mention of money being a reason why and in fact you even argued against the same thing I just said (no one is choosing 1M over, and I quote, "that team will showcase his talents and allow him to get a big contract next year"

Classic Nathan.

gambit1990
07-07-2016, 02:25 PM
i wanna see a small ball line up of manu/green/kawhi/bertans/dedmon. or murray/manu/kawhi/bertans/dedmon.

what's awkward is that i think lma/dedmon, gasol/dedmon works better than lma/gasol.

Nathan89
07-07-2016, 02:25 PM

Yes, and the reasoning was purely role based. When in fact money could be a major factor.

DPG21920
07-07-2016, 02:26 PM
:lmao Yup! No mention of money being a reason why and in fact you even argued against the same thing I just said (no one is choosing 1M over, and I quote, "that team will showcase his talents and allow him to get a big contract next year"

Classic Nathan.

Spurs would too. How much look will Dedmon get with their stars and Zaza/West? Spurs have LMA/Pau only from a big perspective and not as much star power to soak up every touch.

If he's good and a center he should play over West. Yes, Spurs will showcase his talents well but not to the likes of GSW. He'll just get so many easy baskets with that team.

It was you going back and forth with me :lol

No mention of money, but now that my logic held up, you are trying to shift your argument. You could not comprehend how anyone would choose SA over GS and it had NOTHING to do with 1M then TBH IMVHO..

DPG21920
07-07-2016, 02:27 PM
Maybe, but that was not the overarching point to those people's point. They were discounting the logic of SA being a good place for bigs like Dedmone because money aside, they thought GS was EVEN BETTER.

1M in this market is not really significant IMO. If someone has a chance to secure a much bigger contract in 1-2 years they aren't passing up a clear cut better chance to star/increase worth in a major market for 1M.

In your post you first argued he would get showcased for a bigger deal with GS. When I say that about SA you now say it's because SA offered him 1M more. OK.

Nathan89
07-07-2016, 02:33 PM
It was you going back and forth with me :lol

No mention of money, but now that my logic held up, you are trying to shift your argument. You could not comprehend how anyone would choose SA over GS and it had NOTHING to do with 1M then TBH IMVHO..

1.xmil is significant when you are making 3mil per year. Especially when I said both teams will showcase his talents well. So given that both teams will showcase him well it would be unnecessary to take a lesser contract that is quite significant percentage wise.

SpurPadre
07-07-2016, 02:36 PM

Is his athleticism above-average?

CGD
07-07-2016, 02:40 PM
Good pick up! Dude has incentive to play hard so he can opt out next summer for bigger pay day. I suppose that cuts both ways if he gets a big pay day

CGD
07-07-2016, 02:42 PM
LMA, Gasol, Dedmon, LJC, Mulitinov starts to look like a respectable big man line up.

TheGreatYacht
07-07-2016, 02:42 PM
I bet Bateer is still available.
Mengke Bateer. Provides what they need the most. Rebounding and Rim protecting

If some smart up and coming intern tells Jerry West about him, he/she will go places ASAP

ceperez
07-07-2016, 02:44 PM
i wanna see a small ball line up of manu/green/kawhi/bertans/dedmon. or murray/manu/kawhi/bertans/dedmon.

what's awkward is that i think lma/dedmon, gasol/dedmon works better than lma/gasol.

yeah, seems that way, dedmon would pair better with gasol or aldridge. but it is still early to tell, Pau and Lamarcus should be able to build a good 2 man game.

spurs come playoff time will of course have a staggered roster with 2 of the 3 (pau, kawhi, lamarcus) always on the court at the same time.

in regular season, will be interesting to see what the effective all 2nd team would be:

mills, ginobili, bertans, anderson, dedmon (?) doesn't seem as capable as mills, ginobili, anderson, diaw, west/marjanovic

ljc, murray seem like Austin material.

simmons, forbes sound good enough to be backups to mills and ginobili.

Spurs likely to get 2nd seed, despite all the changes.

Chinook
07-07-2016, 02:45 PM

bic50
07-07-2016, 02:46 PM
I want to get excited about this guy but I just feel pop is going have him riding the bench like boban.

Chinook
07-07-2016, 02:46 PM
I want to get excited about this guy but I just feel pop is going have him riding the bench like boban.

In favor of whom?

Leetonidas
07-07-2016, 02:47 PM
Dedmon is definitely the kind of the athletic hustle big Spurs have been missing since Baynes left and he is a legit 7'0 as well

Nathan89
07-07-2016, 02:48 PM

That's not really an option. He could be the first big off the bench.

DPG21920
07-07-2016, 02:49 PM
1.xmil is significant when you are making 3mil per year. Especially when I said both teams will showcase his talents well. So given that both teams will showcase him well it would be unnecessary to take a lesser contract that is quite significant percentage wise.

That is not what you said at all. You very clearly asked why anyone would choose SA over GS :lol. You said he would get to showcase himself in GS much more than SA.

You did say essentially that SA wouldn't be a bad choice either, but you were pretty clear in your distinction about choosing GS over SA.

It's all good and damn you for bringing out the old argumentative DPG :lol. I'm just thrilled that SA got him.

DPG21920
07-07-2016, 02:50 PM

That is what I was saying yesterday (and today) to Nathan. There are no other options. Pau/LMA aren't playing 40MPG (hell, probably only 35MPG). West, Tim, Boban, Boris are gone - they have to play.

ceperez
07-07-2016, 02:51 PM
honestly, I don't think Pop has the patience to coach all these neophytes!

Let's see... murray, bertans, LJC, dedmon, forbes

not counting anderson and simmons. 7 players.

sheesh!!!

DPG21920
07-07-2016, 02:52 PM

Ya buddy. He's a very solid athlete. He's not DeAndre Jordan, but he's a very good athlete capable of put back dunks, lob dunks and finishing close to the rim with dunks. He can block shots.

I'm really not trying to build him up like some all-star, he's not. He has many limitations especially offensively. It's just a good skill set the Spurs needed.

SpursforSix
Impressed with how quickly he gets down the court. Seems super fast for a 7 footer.

DPG21920
honestly, I don't think Pop has the patience to coach all these neophytes!

Let's see... murray, bertans, LJC, dedmon, forbes

not counting anderson and simmons. 7 players.

sheesh!!!

That will be the interesting part. Not just the youth but new to the team. Pau is older, but still new. It takes time to learn the system.

ceperez
07-07-2016, 02:53 PM
Impressed with how quickly he gets down the court. Seems super fast for a 7 footer.

true... he can definitely run... can't say the same about pau or lamarcus.

jermaine
07-07-2016, 02:54 PM

I would agree. But Pop played Jeff Ayers. Im sure he'll play this guy. Plus he more than likely won't have a choice.

objective
07-07-2016, 02:56 PM
In your post you first argued he would get showcased for a bigger deal with GS. When I say that about SA you now say it's because SA offered him 1M more. OK.

Uh, it's about 1.8 million difference guys, give or take, at least by my reading of the vet minimum by year and the room exception

Plus playing time and role opened up in a big way when Boban signed his sheet and the Spurs couldn't match. Why pretend otherwise?

objective
07-07-2016, 02:58 PM

I wouldn't worry, I see Bertans as the new Hill-Splitter-Boban

SpurPadre
07-07-2016, 02:59 PM

Nice, thanks. Looks like a good pickup. For a while, every time I saw someone mention Dedmon here, I thought they were misspelling Marcus Denmon, lol.

Vic Petro
07-07-2016, 03:02 PM
Wonder if Borrego was a factor in him choosing San Antonio.

SpurPadre
07-07-2016, 03:02 PM
Ya buddy. He's a very solid athlete. He's not DeAndre Jordan, but he's a very good athlete capable of put back dunks, lob dunks and finishing close to the rim with dunks. He can block shots.

I'm really not trying to build him up like some all-star, he's not. He has many limitations especially offensively. It's just a good skill set the Spurs needed.

Nice, thanks. At first, I was worried he'd be like Ayres but he looks to have decent hands for a big man and a good motor.

NameLess Scrub
07-07-2016, 03:05 PM
Nice, a defensive, rolling big man.

Now, does LaMarcus have a backup?
Is it going to be Kyle? :downspin:

td4mvp2k
07-07-2016, 03:07 PM
So we get Denmon and Gasol but lose timmay and Boban? We have to keep Boban in some way. He's awesome and has huge interest in the fan base
Keep Boban!!!!

we will see if it pays off especially if letting boban go was a mistake and if dedmon is half the player boban is tbh

07-07-2016, 03:08 PM
I like that his shot blocking presence allows our guards to be more agressive defensively on the perimeter, like OKC guards had with Ibaka and Clips with Jordan. Being able to more confidently go over rather than under a screen could pay dividends to their three point defense

Nathan89
07-07-2016, 03:12 PM
That is not what you said at all. You very clearly asked why anyone would choose SA over GS :lol. You said he would get to showcase himself in GS much more than SA.

You did say essentially that SA wouldn't be a bad choice either, but you were pretty clear in your distinction about choosing GS over SA.

It's all good and damn you for bringing out the old argumentative DPG :lol. I'm just thrilled that SA got him.

I asked why would Dedmon choose Spurs over GSW. I said both would showcase his talents but GSW would be better. I still think GSW is better to showcase his talents. The money difference is significant though. If I were him I would that would be a deciding factor give they will both showcase my talents. You're acting like I positioned the Spurs as some third rate Kings like team compared to GSW.

r0drig0lac
07-07-2016, 03:15 PM
looks like Whiteside

palangi
07-07-2016, 03:16 PM
Dedmon is definitely the kind of the athletic hustle big Spurs have been missing since Baynes left and he is a legit 7'0 as well

With good athleticism and a 7'4"wingspan.

poeticism707
07-07-2016, 03:18 PM
That was fast.

Holy shit, good signing.

NASpurs
07-07-2016, 03:19 PM

tonight...you
07-07-2016, 03:20 PM
That will be the interesting part. Not just the youth but new to the team. Pau is older, but still new. It takes time to learn the system.
Pau, I don't think he will have a big problem. His veteran savvy and natural bball IQ is so high, like Manu, that he should assimilate quickly and Pop is going to give him plenty of minutes to do so.
The other guys? Yeah. Agree.

I believe we're going to see a lot of backup minutes go to Anderson as a calming influence to the noobs.

SilverSpur
07-07-2016, 03:20 PM
Looks like he can really score.......on Gasol.

tonight...you
07-07-2016, 03:21 PM
YEEYAAAAAAAAH!!!!!
Just watch plebes.

NASpurs
07-07-2016, 03:22 PM
Dedmon's Twitter account is all decked out in Spurs logos already :lol

poeticism707
07-07-2016, 03:29 PM

:lol shitting on Gasol

:rollin :rollin :rollin

ceperez
07-07-2016, 03:31 PM
So Dedmon is the only ring protector? Pau and Aldridge are typically flat footed when defending the post!

DPG21920
07-07-2016, 03:33 PM
So Dedmon is the only ring protector? Pau and Aldridge are typically flat footed when defending the post!

Not true - Pau, while not nimble on the perimeter is a very solid post/rim protector. LMA is not bad either.

bic50
07-07-2016, 03:41 PM
In favor of whom?

Don't know tbh. But I can't remember the last time the pop fully utilized a long athletic big man like him. Pop usually avoided these types of players. But I really hope I'm wrong .

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-07-2016, 03:42 PM

Protect the ring, he will. But first acquire it, he must.

07-07-2016, 03:42 PM
get him in pick n rolls with simmons, kawhi, manu.

http://i42.tinypic.com/11gra7r.jpg

Brian Windhorst
07-07-2016, 03:43 PM
Like the signing, don't like the idea that his guy is currently our third big out of three.

San Antonio Slayer
07-07-2016, 03:52 PM
I guess we will need another PF to replace LA. Are we still in conversation to get Thomas Robinson?

TD 21
07-07-2016, 03:58 PM
Nice pickup, especially for the room exception. When the Rockets turned to Nene yesterday, I thought he'd end up with the Warriors (they'll probably turn to Reed now). Nice to see someone spurn those arrogant pricks.

In terms of players who were around for more than a cup of coffee, he joins Simmons as probably the most athletic Spurs since prime Robinson.

It'll interesting to see Ginobili in the pick-and-roll with him, though the potential lack of shooting (depending on who the forward opposite Anderson is) surrounding it could cramp it some.

I guess we will need another PF to replace LA. Are we still in conversation to get Thomas Robinson?

Definitely, but I doubt it would be Robinson or anyone of his ilk, since he's essentially a center on offense. They need more of a floor spacer.

ceperez
07-07-2016, 03:58 PM
Like the signing, don't like the idea that his guy is currently our third big out of three.

PATFO likely have another magic trick up their sleeves!!!

DPG21920
07-07-2016, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't worry, I see Bertans as the new Hill-Splitter-Boban

Just by sheer size, I think Dedmon gets minutes. But the point you are seemingly making is interesting. There are so many new guys, young guys that Pop has a lot to figure out and there is going to be experimenting.

From Downtown
07-07-2016, 04:00 PM
Really good pickup, we needed someone like him badly

DPG21920
07-07-2016, 04:00 PM
Nice pickup, especially for the room exception. When the Rockets turned to Nene yesterday, I thought he'd end up with the Warriors (they'll probably turn to Reed now). Nice to see someone spurn those arrogant pricks.

In terms of players who were around for more than a cup of coffee, he joins Simmons as probably the most athletic Spurs since prime Robinson.

It'll interesting to see Ginobili in the pick-and-roll with him, though the potential lack of shooting (depending on who the forward opposite Anderson is) surrounding it could cramp it some.

True, but if Bertans can shoot, Mills regains form & Manu doesn't fall off a cliff, the should be able to shoot. Would be big if Kyle's 3PT shot improves and he plays the 4. Mills/Manu/Bertans/Kyle/Dedmon could have enough shooting and be a fun bench.

Solid D
07-07-2016, 04:20 PM
Nice Twitter pic for Dedman

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/751147278807605248/QIxS0MZI.jpg

@d_dedmon3

https://twitter.com/d_dedmon3?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7 Ctwgr%5Eauthor

SpursFan86
07-07-2016, 04:22 PM
Yeah, Bertans and KA hitting 3s at a serviceable rate will be huge. It could go either way, tbh.

If Manu goes back to being a 35% shooter, Bertans struggles to adapt to the NBA 3-point line, and KA can't show a competent stroke, the bench could be in deep shit when it comes to spacing. On the flip side, if Bertans/KA prove they can hit 3s consistently, and Manu shoots as well as he did last year, the spacing should be pretty damn good and there's some potential for a really potent bench unit.

TD 21
07-07-2016, 04:27 PM
True, but if Bertans can shoot, Mills regains form & Manu doesn't fall off a cliff, the should be able to shoot. Would be big if Kyle's 3PT shot improves and he plays the 4. Mills/Manu/Bertans/Kyle/Dedmon could have enough shooting and be a fun bench.

We'll see who the last roster spot goes to, but I doubt Bertans is in the rotation.

Tully365
07-07-2016, 04:33 PM

Pau averaged more blocks per 48 minutes last season than Anthony Davis, Serge Ibaka, & Karl-Anthony Towns. He's pretty legit in that category. Dedmon's block per 48 was a hair higher than Pau's while averaging nearly 20 fewer mpg, but Pau's block/foul ratio is nearly twice as good.
http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/blocks/sort/avg48Blocks

cjw
07-07-2016, 04:35 PM
Dedmon's going to get into foul trouble, but that's fine for a 15 minute a night big.

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2016, 04:36 PM
Gasol was one of the best rim protectors in the NBA, last season..

He faced more shots at the rim than any other big in the NBA(ranked #1 in the league in DFGA at the rim), and only allowed 46.3% from the field, which was slightly ahead of Hassan Whiteside an DeAndre Jordan..

The mobility on the perimeter of Gasol/Aldridge is the concern, not the rim protection..

spurtech09
07-07-2016, 04:36 PM
Not to be rude but never heard of the guy.......

spurtech09
07-07-2016, 04:37 PM
Any video's on this guy?

tonight...you
07-07-2016, 04:37 PM
Protect the ring, he will. But first acquire it, he must.
Lol. Awesome. Because it's true!!

rastaspur
07-07-2016, 04:39 PM
We needed an athletic rim protector who doesnt get torched on the pick n roll. Good signing and at a cost friendly contract. I approve. Hate to see boban go but dedmons defense will not keep him glued to the bench like boban.

He can play against all teams and wont be useless in certain matchups. Thats a good thing.

tonight...you
Not to be rude but never heard of the guy.......
He's never heard of you either, so you're on equal footing, it seems.
BUT- his stuff can be found with simple Google and Youtube searches. You?

You ever try that freaky stuff? Google? Yeah... that shit be's cray cray.
Finding stuff at your convenience and stuffesess. Cray cray.

SpursFan86
Any video's on this guy?

NASpurs
07-07-2016, 04:40 PM
Any video's on this guy?

On the internet? I doubt it. No such things exist on the internet.

tonight...you
07-07-2016, 04:41 PM
For real. Let's get with the times and start learning that Morse Code and shit.
Now that's instant communication!

spurtech09
07-07-2016, 04:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ2aqSjSWyIThanks for the Vid bro....

BillMc
07-07-2016, 04:42 PM

You know what they say "Dedmon tells no tales."

spurtech09
07-07-2016, 04:49 PM
Like the Guy already :)......very athletic ......Just what the Spurs need ...
Hope he gets a lot of playing time....

raybies
07-07-2016, 04:54 PM
We'll see who the last roster spot goes to, but I doubt Bertans is in the rotation.

Agreed. It'll be Simmons with that spot and his to lose. If that doesn't work then livio and bertans will have a shot at it. That's if livio gets signed. At this point livio being able to play the 3/4 like Kyle and Bertans makes him a plus imo.

peacemaker885
07-07-2016, 04:55 PM
We just need to frickin score of the bench man.

slick'81
07-07-2016, 04:59 PM
Hes ok probably the last decent big/pf

dabom
07-07-2016, 05:02 PM
Athletic big for when we need rebounds over scoring.

slick'81
07-07-2016, 05:04 PM
Dedmon's going to get into foul trouble, but that's fine for a 15 minute a night big.

yeah its why he couldnt stay on the floor in orlando

tonight...you
07-07-2016, 05:05 PM
They said that stuff before Forensics. Now... Dedmon still throws down the hammer! Dedmon throws down the hammer!

I know... made no sense. I don't care.

07-07-2016, 05:07 PM
The bench looks pretty unpredictable. Pretty much everyone but Manu and Mills are fringe NBA players. Dedmon might be the most developed.

There's a small chance that KA/Simmons/Bertans/Dedmon all develop into solid rotation players. Or there's a chance none of them develop into legitimate NBA backups.

Unless Bertans shoots at a 40%+ clip at the 3 point line, I don't think he's good enough for the NBA. Simmons was promising but his 3 point shot doesn't look ready and he's a turnover machine.

Anderson actually looks pretty decent in SL.... and if history is a guide, we'll see him guarding Durant some time in the future :vomit: Doubt he can develop a decent 3 point shot. He likes the fade away long 2's too much.

Dedmon already looks better than Ayres, so there's something.

Murray won't be NBA ready this year.

TheGoldStandard
07-07-2016, 05:10 PM
:pop: Too athletic, that's more of an Austin Spurs thing... Matty you're going in.

Chucho
07-07-2016, 05:13 PM
Where's this money coming from. I'm assuming Duncan is retiring

It's not that hard to be a "cap expert". Google that shit to find out where the money is coming from. I'll do ya a favor, we still have about 6-8 milli with Pau signed and with Tim's deal on the books. So know you know. Gimme tree fiddy.

TheGoldStandard
07-07-2016, 05:15 PM
:pop: Hope he has a couple of nice suits

benefactor
07-07-2016, 05:24 PM
Again...stop posting

Spur-Addict
07-07-2016, 05:39 PM

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

BillMc
07-07-2016, 05:42 PM
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

:toast8 o'clock show is the same as the 10. I'm in town all week. :lol

Patrick Bateman
07-07-2016, 05:46 PM
:pop: Too athletic, that's more of an Austin Spurs thing... Matty you're going in.

Yeah, this is right. I cant wait for the Spurs find Antonio McDyess or some other washed old guy that had his moment years go and have them playing a game when we are getting our asses handed to us in the playoffs and this Dedmon guy sits on the bench. Worse yet, send Bonner in.

Spur-Addict
07-07-2016, 05:51 PM
:toast8 o'clock show is the same as the 10. I'm in town all week. :lol

:lol Half price drinks?

BillMc
07-07-2016, 05:53 PM
:lol Half price drinks?

Yep. And free for the ladies (2 drink max).

xellos88330
07-07-2016, 05:58 PM
Murray and Dedmon could be interesting on the pnr. Hopefully thsee two guys will play together in Vegas.

MaNu4Tres
07-07-2016, 05:59 PM
Exactly the type of big they needed.

An efficient PnR Diver strong finisher who doesn't need the ball to be effective on O ( he shot 71% on rolls to the basket). While being a mobile & solid rim protector/rebounder on defense.

So glad they were able to get this type of player.

Great addition for the price!

ace3g
07-07-2016, 06:20 PM
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13631599_1015932661856246_1471919856832708198_n.jp g?oh=adefcf89f7665fa0f8d80281f823064b&oe=580185A1

Kawhitstorm
07-07-2016, 06:40 PM

He's basically Ian 2.0

spurraider21
07-07-2016, 07:12 PM
Francisco elson tbh

slick'81
07-07-2016, 07:14 PM
Francisco elson tbh

Lol yes

tonight...you
07-07-2016, 07:20 PM
Yep. And free for the ladies (2 drink max).
(2 drink min)
Let's be professional here...

BillMc
07-07-2016, 07:26 PM
(2 drink min)
Let's be professional here...
:jekka:jekka

ElNono
07-07-2016, 08:14 PM
fuck yeah, staaaaacked

Em-City
07-07-2016, 09:03 PM
love this signing!!

-21-
07-07-2016, 09:14 PM
After seeing Boban go, this is as good a signing as we could have hoped for. Excited to see him on the team.

KDKSpurs24
07-07-2016, 09:16 PM
After seeing Boban go, this is as good a signing as we could have hoped for. Excited to see him on the team.

GSH
07-07-2016, 09:18 PM

You just know that any time he doesn't hustle up the court, Pop's gonna yell, "Dedmon walking!!"

tholdren
07-07-2016, 09:19 PM
And he spells his name phonetically correct. A+ in my book.

BillMc
07-07-2016, 09:20 PM
You just know that any time he doesn't hustle up the court, Pop's gonna yell, "Dedmon walking!!"
:rollin

Thanks for that. Made me laugh aloud very hard. :toast

Sean Cagney
07-07-2016, 09:25 PM
Francisco elson tbh

Probably.....

ducks
07-07-2016, 09:26 PM
Tp assist just went to double digits

dylankerouac
07-07-2016, 09:41 PM
Love this signing! I hadn't even known this guy existed, but from the videos he seems like a solid pick. Can't wait to see him play!

outmap
07-07-2016, 09:45 PM
DeAndre Jordan Lite.

Spurs9
07-07-2016, 10:35 PM
Too bad we will only have him this year if hes any good. In todays NBA a team will pay him 3x what his option contract is if he shows promise.

MI21
07-07-2016, 10:50 PM
Francisco elson tbh

Not gonna lie, that's what I thought at first.

Can't argue with a bench big that shoots 71% rolling to the rim. Excited to see him develop.

Leetonidas
07-07-2016, 10:50 PM
Elson had some of the worst hands I've ever seen though :lol

Blackjack
07-07-2016, 10:55 PM
Saw the video, looks like one hell of a shooter. Definitely picked the right number to wear. :tu

GSH
07-07-2016, 10:59 PM
Elson had some of the worst hands I've ever seen though - except for Jeff Errors :lol

FIFY

dylankerouac
07-07-2016, 11:26 PM
Also like that I always see this guy wearing a knee brace.

T Park
07-08-2016, 12:56 AM
Francisco elson tbh

Which is fine, Elson was a decent bench big man. Dedmon however isn't as dumb as a post like Elson

MI21
07-08-2016, 02:16 AM
Which is fine, Elson was a decent bench big man. Dedmon however isn't as dumb as a post like Elson

Elson was pretty awful man. I can still remember the hype from his first game against Dallas where he did a good job on Dirk and ran the floor for transition dunks. Looked like David Robinson out there :lol

theMatrix
07-08-2016, 04:43 AM
6 inches? Well, everyone in the NBA minus Danny Green is deadly inside 6 inches.

not everyone on the spurs tho

Maddog
07-08-2016, 06:45 AM
DeAndre Jordan Lite.

Well sort of. and sort of not.
Hits free throws, has been seen taking a shot outside of 6"

cutewizard
07-08-2016, 07:01 AM
WELCOME, WELCOME AND THRICE WELCOME, ROBINSON LITE!!!!!!!

cutewizard
07-08-2016, 07:02 AM
closest to David Robinson i have ever seen in recent years.....

lol

David is David, but hell yeah, well take this honcho

NOW WHERE THE FUCK IS THAT GREEK CENTER??????

cutewizard
07-08-2016, 07:05 AM
WHO SAYS THE SPURS LACK ELITE ATHLETICISM NOW?????

Leonard is a stud, and the best defender on the planet

Dedmon is as athletic as you can get for a center/forward

Simmons is the best athlete in the summer league

and Murray's athleticism is off the charts!!!!

oh my god, the 2016-2017 Spurs have something that only the David Robinson years had,

YES!!!!

:claw

Russo21
07-08-2016, 07:36 AM
Looks like a very interesting player. Tall, athletic, has some hops. You watch his highlights and you think he' got game, then you look at his career stats and think wtf. I suppose that's why they are called highlights lol Here's hoping he pans out

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-08-2016, 08:51 AM
closest to David Robinson i have ever seen in recent years.....

:lmao

cutewizard
07-08-2016, 08:57 AM
why not, its just a humble opinion, cmon

TheDoctor
07-08-2016, 09:02 AM
I would agree. But Pop played Jeff Ayers. Im sure he'll play this guy. Plus he more than likely won't have a choice.

Pop played The Clapper when the game was out of reach; winning or losing.

TD 21
07-08-2016, 04:00 PM
Agreed. It'll be Simmons with that spot and his to lose. If that doesn't work then livio and bertans will have a shot at it. That's if livio gets signed. At this point livio being able to play the 3/4 like Kyle and Bertans makes him a plus imo.

I don't think Jean-Charles has any chance at being in the rotation. In fact, I'd say it's likely that him and Murray spend a lot of time in Austin.

I somehow miscounted. There's actually two open roster spots. At least one has to go to a power forward, while the other is likely to be a big too. It's either that or a guard, that can shoot.

ceperez
07-08-2016, 04:12 PM
I don't think Jean-Charles has any chance at being in the rotation. In fact, I'd say it's likely that him and Murray spend a lot of time in Austin.

I somehow miscounted. There's actually two open roster spots. At least one has to go to a power forward, while the other is likely to be a big too. It's either that or a guard, that can shoot.

I agree, Murray and LJC will be spending time in Austin.

That means the Spurs will need an additional big, 3 bigs with two of them needing ample rest (Pau and Aldridge) tells me Spurs are still shopping around for a 4th big.

Pau / Dedmond
Aldridge / ??? / LJC (to Austin)
Leonard / Anderson / Bertans
Green / Ginobili / Simmons
Parker / Mills / Forbes (?) / Murray (to Austin)

If LJC and Murray are in Austin, then Spurs are one player short (i.e. 13 spots). The options are either one of the rookies (i.e. Ndoye, Lalanne) or more likely a veteran (i.e. Scola, Inglis, Chris Andersen, ... )

TD 21
07-08-2016, 04:33 PM
I agree, Murray and LJC will be spending time in Austin.

That means the Spurs will need an additional big, 3 bigs with two of them needing ample rest (Pau and Aldridge) tells me Spurs are still shopping around for a 4th big.

Pau / Dedmond
Aldridge / ??? / LJC (to Austin)
Leonard / Anderson / Bertans
Green / Ginobili / Simmons
Parker / Mills / Forbes (?) / Murray (to Austin)

If LJC and Murray are in Austin, then Spurs are one player short (i.e. 13 spots). The options are either one of the rookies (i.e. Ndoye, Lalanne) or more likely a veteran (i.e. Scola, Inglis, Chris Andersen, ... )

The final rotation spot will be between Simmons, yet to be signed veteran power forward and Bertans. It's a competition that could easily be ongoing throughout the season and dependent on match-up.

The final roster spot could be left open for awhile and maybe even until the eve of the season. It's most likely to end up being a youngish big (Stokes?), that's partially guaranteed, but if Forbes pulls a Neal, he might ultimately force his way onto the roster. Four rookies is highly unlikely though.

ceperez
07-08-2016, 04:42 PM
The final rotation spot will be between Simmons, yet to be signed veteran power forward and Bertans. It's a competition that could easily be ongoing throughout the season and dependent on match-up.

The final roster spot could be left open for awhile and maybe even until the eve of the season. It's most likely to end up being a youngish big (Stokes?), that's partially guaranteed, but if Forbes pulls a Neal, he might ultimately force his way onto the roster. Four rookies is highly unlikely though.

That's just it, I don't think Pop is comfortable with *any* rookie playing in the playoffs. Bertans probably is the most experienced since he has at least played pro at a high level in Europe.

Playoff rotation then looks like:

Pau / Dedmon
Aldridge / (Some Vet)
Leonard/ Anderson / Bertans
Green / Manu / Simmons
Parker / Mills

Likely to go down to a 10 man rotation:

Pau - Aldridge - Leonard - Green - Parker
Dedmon - Anderson - Bertans - Manu - Mills

I don't see where Simmons fits unless he plays in Green's place.

I worry about Anderson playing PF... Spurs need someone else!

jermaine
07-08-2016, 04:57 PM
Birdman Birdman!

raybies
07-08-2016, 05:01 PM
Birdman Birdman!

I know Chinook has mentioned him as a pickup, and at this point I wouldn't disagree. He's a proven vet and should be cheap. Can he stay healthy though? He's getting old lol

Chinook
07-08-2016, 05:05 PM
I'm a fan of Andersen as an backup to Dedmon. Dewayne would be my top guy for that position, but having another vet big -- especially one oriented around defense -- seems like a good thing around that group. I wouldn't be surprised to see Scola sign on soon. He's not a good plan as a third-string center, but I think he's a guy you know can come in and give you solid minutes when you need him to. Plus it would be awesome to try to cash in that chip at last. Plus, letting Luis and Manu potentially go out together in both FIBA and the NBA would just be too sweet.

Chinook
07-08-2016, 05:11 PM
That's just it, I don't think Pop is comfortable with *any* rookie playing in the playoffs.

He's going to have to get over that real quick. These aren't you daddy's Spurs anymore.

I don't think it makes sense to assume that some player to be named will jump in the rotation. Sure that might happen, especially if it's someone like Scola (assuming he plays well all year). But people thought the same thing about Martin and Miller last year, and no one lost their rotation spot to those guys.

I think more than ever it's likely Pop drops to nine. Anderson makes sense as the combo-forward with Green and Manu playing some three. Of course, I think the Spurs would like to have a third center/big who can play in case Dedmon becomes Dudmon (you know someone was going to come up with that eventually).

I agree that I would be concerned with having no non-combo-forward option to play behind LMA. Hence Scola hype from me. But I also don't know if there's any team that can exploit the Spurs' being small this year. Best I could see if LAC.

picnroll
07-08-2016, 05:14 PM
Scola's more shot than Duncan.

TD 21
07-08-2016, 05:15 PM
That's just it, I don't think Pop is comfortable with *any* rookie playing in the playoffs. Bertans probably is the most experienced since he has at least played pro at a high level in Europe.

Pau / Dedmon
Aldridge / (Some Vet)
Leonard/ Anderson / Bertans
Green / Manu / Simmons
Parker / Mills

Pau - Aldridge - Leonard - Green - Parker
Dedmon - Anderson - Bertans - Manu - Mills

I don't see where Simmons fits unless he plays in Green's place.

No NBA team wants more than 1-2 rookies.

With the age/mileage of 3 of the top 6 and the likelihood that this team plays until mid-late May, they're going to need some proven depth.

Even if Anderson mostly plays backup power forward (with Simmons or Bertans at small forward), there still has to be another proven option. If they wanted to retain West, then it stands to reason that they'll have interest in Scola.

The only possible differences from the regular season to playoffs rotation are: 1) If none of the three options for the tenth spot emerge and Anderson takes a leap, it could just be a nine man rotation. 2) If they sign Scola and Dedmon struggles, the former could end up being the third big.

UZER
07-08-2016, 05:26 PM
Looks like a very interesting player. Tall, athletic, has some hops. You watch his highlights and you think he' got game, then you look at his career stats and think wtf. I suppose that's why they are called highlights lol Here's hoping he pans out

:pop: Do not like.

Chinook
07-08-2016, 05:32 PM
Scola's more shot than Duncan.

Did you watch him last year? I'd say he's much closer to West than Tim

Hoops Czar
07-08-2016, 05:36 PM
No NBA team wants more than 1-2 rookies.

With the age/mileage of 3 of the top 6 and the likelihood that this team plays until mid-late May, they're going to need some proven depth.

Even if Anderson mostly plays backup power forward (with Simmons or Bertans at small forward), there still has to be another proven option. If they wanted to retain West, then it stands to reason that they'll have interest in Scola.

The only possible differences from the regular season to playoffs rotation are: 1) If none of the three options for the tenth spot emerge and Anderson takes a leap, it could just be a nine man rotation. 2) If they sign Scola and Dedmon struggles, the former could end up being the third big.

Toronto was -10.8 (-16.5 - PS) with Scola on the court last year. :lol He's more done than Manu and that's saying something.

TD 21
07-08-2016, 05:47 PM
Toronto was -10.8 (-16.5 - PS) with Scola on the court last year. :lol He's more done than Manu and that's saying something.

They had him starting and him alongside Valanciunas is a terrible big duo defensively. Also, their best lineup was Lowry with their four main bench players (Joseph, Ross, Patterson, Biyombo).

I'd like to dismiss him off hand, but he's probably about the best they can do and it's likely they'll pursue him since he's similar enough to West.

r0drig0lac
07-08-2016, 07:04 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

slick'81
07-08-2016, 07:06 PM
If hed stop being a foul machine he may not be a bad energy guy off the bench

cutewizard
07-09-2016, 12:25 AM
How ironic would it be if Scola joins the Spurs now,. lol

cutewizard
07-09-2016, 12:26 AM
Dedmon can dunk, that's for sure! hahahahahahaha

cutewizard
07-09-2016, 12:31 AM
i think Dedmon shall become primary back up to Lamarcus.......

and i hope, with his second year in the Spurs, that Lamarcus can really show us his worth, and become again the best classical four in the NBA

cutewizard
07-09-2016, 12:32 AM
SUPER DUNKER OF THE SPURS!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65ZwqOGGms0

TimDunkem
07-09-2016, 12:59 AM
:lmao
We haven't had a big this athletic since Robinson, imho.

SAGirl
07-09-2016, 02:54 AM
I have to ask you about this, bc I don't know Bertans other than highlights of his shooting.

SAGirl
07-09-2016, 03:05 AM

I see now what you meant about Bertans, ignore my question earlier I had not seen this.

gambit1990
07-09-2016, 03:24 AM
bertans will be in the rotation.

SAGirl
07-09-2016, 03:32 AM
bertans will be in the rotation.
Probably battling it out with JSimms I imagine.

Emperor
07-09-2016, 04:26 AM

Could very well be battling with Anderson if he can consistently hit the 3. He's a sf but too thin of a body frame to play the pf much like Durant. If he can keep up with other small forwards defensively and hit his shots i can see him getting as much playing time with Kyle even though i like the kid and hope to see more improvement from him aswell. Kyle to me is the perfect Diaw replacement just slower.

Chinook
07-09-2016, 05:07 AM
Could very well be battling with Anderson if he can consistently hit the 3. He's a sf but too thin of a body frame to play the pf much like Durant. If he can keep up with other small forwards defensively and hit his shots i can see him getting as much playing time with Kyle even though i like the kid and hope to see more improvement from him aswell. Kyle to me is the perfect Diaw replacement just slower.

I don't see any way Anderson isn't in the rotation. Barring injury, I think he'll be in the top five for total minutes.

Obstructed_View
07-09-2016, 05:47 AM

If he doesn't show signs of being able to distribute and take care of the ball in Vegas, Simmons could find himself off the team sooner rather than later.

pgardn
07-09-2016, 08:25 AM
Handling the PnR properly is huge. We look to be weak in this area with all bigs. Due to lack of mobility and or lack of playing time to coordinate. We look at rebounding and rim protecting because of the loss to OKC. It's bigger than just OKC, especially since they are FUBAR now.

We needed a big. But solving the PnR with our current bigs...

kobyz
07-09-2016, 08:28 AM
We haven't had a big this athletic since Robinson, imho.

You said the same about Francisco Elson...