PDA

View Full Version : What Will You Do When Timmy Makes His Retirement Official?

BillMc
07-07-2016, 02:47 PM
The cap math shows his contract is being stretched, which means Duncan is retiring. When Tim announces officially what will you do?

Cry? Raise a beer to him? Watch the best TD highlights? Hit Youtube to watch all those old championships he's given us? Put on a 21 jersey? Get out a bucket of ice cream and go hog wild? Go on a bender? Or shrug it off and move on like Timmy himself likely would?

What will be your immediate reaction when it's real?

Even though I know its coming I'll probably sit stunned for a few minutes. Then watch some old highlights. Then throw myself into work for a while. Nearly 20 years, longest I've followed any sports hero.

Cheers 21. Thanks for everything.

cd98
07-07-2016, 02:47 PM
Raise a beer. And I don't drink.

gambit1990
07-07-2016, 02:51 PM
would the san antonio spurs even exist today without us getting the #1 pick in that draft?

Chinook
07-07-2016, 02:54 PM
I'd keep trying to get the answer to the question about whether he can re-sign after they stretch him.

birdy219
07-07-2016, 02:58 PM
Me. :depressed:cry:cry then :clap:flag::drunk

Dex
07-07-2016, 02:59 PM
http://i.makeagif.com/media/5-15-2015/aO9nso.gif

DarrinS
07-07-2016, 03:00 PM
Probably watch a bunch of Tim highlights and championship vids

Budkin
07-07-2016, 03:01 PM

:lmao

sasaint
07-07-2016, 03:01 PM
The cap math shows his contract is being stretched, which means Duncan is retiring. When Tim announces officially what will you do?

Cry? Raise a beer to him? Watch the best TD highlights? Hit Youtube to watch all those old championships he's given us? Put on a 21 jersey? Get out a bucket of ice cream and go hog wild? Go on a bender? Or shrug it off and move on like Timmy himself likely would?

Even though I know its coming I'll probably sit stunned for a few minutes. Then watch some old highlights. Then throw myself into work for a while. Nearly 20 years, longest I've followed any sports hero.

Whenever a character is injured/wounded in an old movie, they give him a shot of brandy. As an old film lover, I'll toast Timmy with a small snifter of Courvoisier.

BatManu20
07-07-2016, 03:02 PM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/vkwAeqMEUSaoU/giphy.gif

Spur|n|Austin
07-07-2016, 03:03 PM
Since it's pretty much official, I'd say keep it in true Timmy fashion and shrug while moving on to next season.

He's my favorite player of all time, my ole dog is even named Duncan - things on the team just won't feel the same.. So to say it's a bummer is an understatement, but it is what it is. Our team will still be very solid, and maybe one day he'll come back as a coach or have a role in the FO.

Ron Swanson
07-07-2016, 03:04 PM
Knock over a plant.

bklynspursfan
07-07-2016, 03:05 PM
Probably watch a bunch of Tim highlights and championship vids

This for me as well. I'll probably go on a bit of a spending spree (have already) for more TD memorabilia

Old School 44
07-07-2016, 03:06 PM
Nothing this year. He's not retiring. He's not. No logical basis for my response, but he's just not.

gambit1990
07-07-2016, 03:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KbzLHvEPf8

Poolboy5623
07-07-2016, 03:07 PM
I'll continue on with my life...it's time..

Spur|n|Austin
07-07-2016, 03:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ1vJ2WQFf0

:toast

Keepin' it real
07-07-2016, 03:10 PM
What will you do when Timmy makes his retirement official?

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2012/01/yes-rudy1.gif

Nathan89
07-07-2016, 03:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYeRtPYvZ2M

DPG21920
07-07-2016, 03:17 PM

Honestly, I won't believe it until I see it. No way he actually retires as there is so much to play for! The fact he has not said anything and is taking this long to decide makes me believe he's coming back!

But seriously F*ck that if he retires! I mean, who the hell takes this long to decide? Makes no damn sense at all and you're telling me he doesn't know? That's bullsh*t!

Maybe if the Spurs offer him more money, he would come back? Perhaps sending Manu to talk to him in person would change his mind?

I'm so sad to think he's actually going to be gone. He has meant so much to this franchise and like you said, would there be a San Antoino Spurs without Tim? How is SA going to replace Tim, not only on the court, but off?!! I'm going to regret that he never got 6.

The more I think of it though I will be at peace with it. He gave Spurs fans so many great memories and years and no one plays forever.

Here's to Tim Duncan!

TheGoldStandard
07-07-2016, 03:23 PM
City of san antonio should make it a mandatory holiday.. Everyone has to take a moment of silence too

TheGoldStandard
07-07-2016, 03:24 PM
Honestly, I won't believe it until I see it. No way he actually retires as there is so much to play for! The fact he has not said anything and is taking this long to decide makes me believe he's coming back!

But seriously F*ck that if he retires! I mean, who the hell takes this long to decide? Makes no damn sense at all and you're telling me he doesn't know? That's bullsh*t!

Maybe if the Spurs offer him more money, he would come back? Perhaps sending Manu to talk to him in person would change his mind?

I'm so sad to think he's actually going to be gone. He has meant so much to this franchise and like you said, would there be a San Antoino Spurs without Tim? How is SA going to replace Tim, not only on the court, but off?!! I'm going to regret that he never got 6.

The more I think of it though I will be at peace with it. He gave Spurs fans so many great memories and years and no one plays forever.

Here's to Tim Duncan!

Honestly I think he's waited this long because he's hoping he will change his mind.. I'm sure mentally he still wants to play but he's probably not trusting his body and something probably doesn't feel right. He's maybe hoping he will wake up with the desire and the feeling like he could physically do it.

SpursforSix
07-07-2016, 03:25 PM
I would have liked to see him get 20 along with Dirk.

Spur|n|Austin
07-07-2016, 03:26 PM

Here's to Tim Duncan!

Good points, this post has raised my spirits. I don't think I'm mentally prepared for him to hang em up.

BillMc
07-07-2016, 03:27 PM
Knock over a plant.
:lol

Gold

DPG21920
07-07-2016, 03:30 PM
:lol For those don't get my humour, it was me going through the 5 stages of grief

mbass
07-07-2016, 03:34 PM

If Tim doesn't come back as a player, maybe he will become a part-time coach.

Here's to Tim Duncan!

Spur|n|Austin
07-07-2016, 03:35 PM
:lol For those don't get my humour, it was me going through the 5 stages of grief

Ahhh!

D
A
B
D
A

:lol

sammy
07-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Cry! In 2007, I adopted a big gray tabby cat, I named him Timmy as he was such a quiet and great cat as great as his namesake Tim Duncan. The Spurs will not be the same without Tim Duncan. They need to make a statue of him in front of the ATT Center with him hugging the ball!

mbass
07-07-2016, 03:36 PM
If he stops playing, maybe he will come back as a Spurs assistant coach.

DJR210
07-07-2016, 03:37 PM

:lmao my thoughts exactly

philldafunk
07-07-2016, 03:44 PM
I wonder if he sticks around SA like D. Rob, or vanishes never to be heard from again?

Proxy
07-07-2016, 03:48 PM
Pay whatever I need to pay to be at the retirement of his jersey.

I should focus on having a kid soon, so that I can have that moment where I kneel down to them and tell them about The Big Fundamental, and the good ol' days.

"You see that tall man? He's good at basketball AND swimming. That's why they're putting his number up there."

Spur|n|Austin
07-07-2016, 03:49 PM
Pay whatever I need to pay to be at the retirement of his jersey.

I should focus on having a kid soon, so that I can have that moment where I kneel down to them and tell them about The Big Fundamental, and the good ol' days.

"You see that tall man? He's good at basketball AND swimming. That's why they're putting his number up there."

Agree on all this :lol

beirmeistr
07-07-2016, 03:49 PM
Hug a basketball in his honor.

EVAY
07-07-2016, 05:34 PM
Raise a glass of 18 year old Macallan single malt to a great human being.

Then drink it.

Raise a glass of 18 year old Macallan single malt to the finest power forward ever to play the game.

Then drink it.

Raise a glass of 18 year old Macallan single malt to the leader of the winningest trio of players in NBA playoff history.

Then drink it.

And, as someone else said...pay any amount the Spurs' organization wants to be at the jersey retirement ceremony, which I would be willing to do because I would be blind drunk from three straight Macallans. lol.

tonight...you
07-07-2016, 05:39 PM

It will take me quite a bit before I confront the implications headlong.
It's going to be like losing an arm. A family member.
Someone that has been there, providing relief and pride for nearly half of my life.

I don't know how I'm going to cope, once I'm confronting myself that I'll never get the chance to see him play live ever again.

I'm worried about the team, as a whole, without him. He's that influential, and while Pop is also now- Duncan made him, not vice versa.

I'm telling you, that man doesn't deserve a statue- he deserves a stadium. Let Manu and Parker have a statue.
He deserves more.

tonight...you
07-07-2016, 05:40 PM
Raise a glass of 18 year old Macallan single malt to a great human being.

Then drink it.

Raise a glass of 18 year old Macallan single malt to the finest power forward ever to play the game.

Then drink it.

Raise a glass of 18 year old Macallan single malt to the leader of the winningest trio of players in NBA playoff history.

Then drink it.

And, as someone else said...pay any amount the Spurs' organization wants to be at the jersey retirement ceremony, which I would be willing to do because I would be blind drunk from three straight Macallans. lol.
Hear hear! That's my MAIN MAN!

Robz4000
07-07-2016, 05:43 PM
An hero.

SAGirl
07-07-2016, 05:50 PM

Cheers 21. Thanks for everything. I have thought it was his last season most of the latter part of the season. Just too diminished for me to consider he would play more in that state. He gave it his all for his teammates, but that game 6 was his farewell. I cried after that game the most depressing loss. Usually when we have gotten eliminated in playoffs I have had anger and being upset maybe ruminate about it in the forums for a few days. Never had sense of sadness over an elimination game quite like I did after that one. In my heart of hearts I knew.

Then you know Timmy waffling and the forum fans made me waffle myself in my belief but I kind of have grieved already. It will probably hit me next season for real when he's not in the team. Bizarro Spurs with Pau will be weird.

rastaspur
07-07-2016, 05:58 PM
Nothing other than have alot of fond memories. Might hang his jersey on my man cave wall as a sign of respect and in tribute.

slick'81
07-07-2016, 06:05 PM
Wow cry maybe.then wonder if spurs can ring with #21 not around anymore

Tully365
07-07-2016, 06:09 PM
I'd keep trying to get the answer to the question about whether he can re-sign after they stretch him.

Holding out hope for a post all star game return for Timmy, making him well rested and viable as a bench big for his last 3 months. The last full season was clearly too hard on his body, so if he can play half a season, it might be perfect.

Kikoluna
07-07-2016, 06:11 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2012/01/yes-rudy1.gif

Lol. That's kinda my reaction as well

baseline bum
07-07-2016, 06:17 PM

Yeah, Spurs are $1 million short of capspace to sign Gasol unless they stretch Tim's salary. I have already come to terms with Tim retiring, it was obvious when he acknowledged the OKC crowd as he walked off the floor in Game 6. Hell, it was obvious when he hurt his good knee in January and was never the same player after. Tim's not coming back to cheer from the bench, his good knee isn't good any more and he's not going to come back when he can't be a key player.

BillMc
07-07-2016, 06:20 PM
Yeah, Spurs are $1 million short of capspace to sign Gasol unless they stretch Tim's salary. I have already come to terms with Tim retiring, it was obvious when he acknowledged the OKC crowd as he walked off the floor in Game 6. Hell, it was obvious when he hurt his good knee in January and was never the same player after. Tim's not coming back to cheer from the bench, his good knee isn't good any more and he's not going to come back when he can't be a key player.

All true. :depressed

baseline bum
07-07-2016, 06:20 PM
Knock over a plant.

:lmao

-21-
07-07-2016, 09:39 PM
Words cannot express the sadness...

Bye Timmy!

BillMc
07-07-2016, 09:42 PM
Since it's pretty much official, I'd say keep it in true Timmy fashion and shrug while moving on to next season.

He's my favorite player of all time, my ole dog is even named Duncan - things on the team just won't feel the same.. So to say it's a bummer is an understatement, but it is what it is. Our team will still be very solid, and maybe one day he'll come back as a coach or have a role in the FO.
:toast True fan there.

dylankerouac
07-07-2016, 10:31 PM
I am still holding out hope that he comes back for one more year. If he's worried about his contributions, he could play against the other teams' bench-bigs and not have to shoulder as much of a load.

Plus he may want to play with Gasol and Dedmon looks like he will have some nice moments and can carry his own weight for all of 16 minutes, even with foul trouble. Add Aldridge and use either Kyle or Kawhi as a 4 for some short stretches and I'm intrigued by this big man rotation. Each player on this rotation (maybe minus Kyle but I'm not aware of his advanced stats) is known for their defense ability, especially in the post so it may be even tougher for opposing teams to get inside.

All this aside, is it for certain that the team can't afford Gasol and Tim? Why can't they go over the salary cap, I thought teams do it all the time - even when there is a fee involved.

callo1
07-07-2016, 10:51 PM
Tim is coming back for one more run.

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but I have to believe.

Mikeanaro
07-08-2016, 12:42 AM
http://dc604.4shared.com/img/UwO8btrwba/s24/15290660498/Enough?async&rand=0.11344180813429339

barakz21
07-08-2016, 01:15 AM
Gonna be weird for me cheering on the Spurs and knowing the Big Fun isn't there anymore. I became a fan of the Spurs because of him. Damn, can't even believe it's been 14 years. If I had a TD jersey, I'd definitely put it on, have some beer, maybe steak or some other shit, watch the Spurs' championship tributes and his highlights AND share them.

T Park
07-08-2016, 01:28 AM
It'd been 19 years since I've watched a game with no Duncan in the lineup.

Gonna be hard.

NameLess Scrub
07-08-2016, 02:20 AM
I will feel stupid and sad that I never had the chance/took the time to watch him live.

99 Problems
07-08-2016, 02:45 AM
Knock over a plant.

:lol I wish Tim had been in more funnies.

hsxvvd
07-08-2016, 04:00 AM
I think the longer we don't hear anything the more likely it is he sticks around... perhaps they are trying to find a way to work the salary cap figures without retirement and stretching his contract.

Still reckon they might trade him if he does retire to free up more cap room.

hsxvvd
07-08-2016, 04:01 AM
I will feel stupid and sad that I never had the chance/took the time to watch him live.

I flew from Australia in 2014 for this reason.

urunobili
07-08-2016, 05:38 AM
Buy another jersey....

azarel
07-08-2016, 06:10 AM

Lol I did the same in 2013, flew from Singapore to catch game 5 finals against Miami Heat.

playblair
07-08-2016, 06:11 AM
it isnt official until @duncan228 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=3534) posts

NameLess Scrub
07-08-2016, 11:13 AM

Lol I did the same in 2013, flew from Singapore to catch game 5 finals against Miami Heat.

Well you guys sure put the effort. I'm closer than that :depressed

Horse
07-08-2016, 12:51 PM
I will cry and masturbate simultaneously

Budkin
07-08-2016, 01:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg03q100E4g

JR3
07-08-2016, 01:45 PM
Knock over a plant.
Best post on this thread... Made me laugh.

bic50
07-08-2016, 02:13 PM
Probably go to his house and have a beer.

LittleCriminal
07-08-2016, 02:17 PM
"You either play for us or not.. Life goes on" - Pop

Maddog
07-08-2016, 06:45 PM
Go get my basketball and give it that characteristic squeeze....

PopTheGOAT
07-08-2016, 08:05 PM
Duncan's retirement is kinda similar to the passing of your great grandmother. You've anticipated it, but it's still sad. They've been here so long that you don't know what it'll be like without them.
We've been more than lucky with Timmy so I'm really not taking it too bad, even considering he's my favorite player of all time.

It really does suck though. I'm in my early 20s and just graduated from college, so my "messing around" days are over. I'm at a transition in my life. Being a sports fan, with basketball
being my favorite, I'd naturally turn to sports to get my mind off of frustration. But, my distraction, the Spurs, are going through big changes as well.

It sucks, but I'm more fortunate than most in my personal life and in sports fandom, so I can't complain.

Duncanforthree
07-09-2016, 04:42 AM
I'll likely be at work and start crying in front of my coworkers.

Hope I'm off that day so I can go full emo.

:)