PDA

View Full Version : Paul Garcia explains Spurs Cap Situation

raybies
07-07-2016, 11:54 PM
Really neat vid that explains everything pretty clearly for those that are scratching their heads about the Spurs cap situation. If already posted sorry.

Mal
07-08-2016, 05:10 AM
So Spurs are counting on Duncan retiring.

callo1
07-08-2016, 05:34 AM
Come on Parker, take a bit of a cut for Timmah!!

Mikeanaro
07-08-2016, 05:36 AM
Lol, Parker's contract is to die for.

raybies
07-08-2016, 05:55 AM
Yeah, I read a tweet with someone wondering how the warriors could afford Durant with their three stars. It's because Parker is getting paid like it fourth star.

raybies
07-08-2016, 05:56 AM

Yeah, basically. If he miraculously decided to play we would probably have to trade Patty to make everything work

Kawhitstorm
07-08-2016, 06:04 AM

They wouldn't have given the Room Exception (RE) to Dedmon nor would Manu's agent (@ElNono) be bragging about racking in money if Tim wasn't going to stretched aka he has told them he's retiring. Manu would have gotten the RE if he had to be renounced to sign Pau.

Kawhitstorm
07-08-2016, 06:05 AM
Come on Parker, take a bit of a cut for Timmah!!

I hope Porker pulls a Wade & bolts after PATFO offer him the Room Exception in 2018.:lol

raybies
07-08-2016, 06:18 AM
I hope Porker pulls a Wade & bolts after PATFO offer him the Room Exception in 2018.:lol

When did his deal start? It's like it never ends. His contract is putting alot of pressure on us to draft well and find diamond in the rough in free agency.

Kawhitstorm
07-08-2016, 06:57 AM
When did his deal start? It's like it never ends. His contract is putting alot of pressure on us to draft well and find diamond in the rough in free agency.

He got an extension during the 2014 offseason when he had one year left on his previous contract thus his new deal kicked in after he flamed out in the 1st rd against the Cripples.

raybies
07-08-2016, 07:22 AM
He got an extension during the 2014 offseason when he had one year left on his previous contract thus his new deal kicked in after he flamed out in the 1st rd against the Cripples.

What a nightmare.

cutewizard
07-08-2016, 07:32 AM
Parker is dragging this team down, in a manner of speaking, god

james evans
07-08-2016, 09:15 AM
parker has 2 years left on his contract. I knew this shit was bad when it happened. I don't give a fuck what he's owed. NO one told him to sign those deals in his prime. It's destroying us.

cutewizard
07-08-2016, 09:16 AM
parker has 2 years left on his contract. I knew this shit was bad when it happened. I don't give a fuck what he's owed. NO one told him to sign those deals in his prime. It's destroying us.

_----------------------------------------------------------

two years, including this year???

Spurs9
Timvp mentioned manu could make $10million? :bang

cutewizard
If Riley can let go of Wade, Pop can do the same

unfortunately, we have the Spurs honour to consider.......

cutewizard
07-08-2016, 09:17 AM
Parker should take a pay cut.......

tbh

sasaint
07-08-2016, 09:18 AM

When we find those diamonds in the rough, we need roster spots, too... But we have Tony, Manu and... Bonner?

sasaint
07-08-2016, 09:21 AM
Lol, Parker's contract is to die for.

Yep, Spurs doing the dying.

Dre_7
07-08-2016, 09:31 AM
Parker should take a pay cut.......

tbh

He has been for his whole career tbh

buttsR4rebounding
07-08-2016, 09:39 AM

That is to make up for last year's club friendly deal. Just like waiving Duncan to pay him the extra $6 million. Just like Tony's current contract to make up for him taking a below-market deal on his previous contract to keep the Big 3 together. The Spurs take care of their people. I am sure this gets noticed by players around the league. It makes it much more likely that someone would come in on the cheap with a promise to be taken care of down the road. Although if they can still figure a way to bring over IB from Spain, sign Forbes to the minimum, re-sign Bonner this would be a very productive off season.

cutewizard
07-08-2016, 09:54 AM
That is to make up for last year's club friendly deal. Just like waiving Duncan to pay him the extra $6 million. Just like Tony's current contract to make up for him taking a below-market deal on his previous contract to keep the Big 3 together. The Spurs take care of their people. I am sure this gets noticed by players around the league. It makes it much more likely that someone would come in on the cheap with a promise to be taken care of down the road. Although if they can still figure a way to bring over IB from Spain, sign Forbes to the minimum, re-sign Bonner this would be a very productive off season.

------------------------------------------------------------

almost perfect post

but then you mentioned Bonner????!!!

surely as scout??

buttsR4rebounding
07-08-2016, 10:05 AM
------------------------------------------------------------

almost perfect post

but then you mentioned Bonner????!!!

surely as scout??

I would have loved to see Lorbek produce in summer league and take the spot. I don't think Bonner would be the go-to stretch 4. We are going to see Kyle Anderson settle into that role. Judging by the plethora of 3's he is hoisting in summer league he has been given his marching orders. He rebounds well and will definitely be a match-up problem. I just think with all the new faces that Pop figures that the corporate knowledge is at a premium.

Spurs9
07-08-2016, 10:22 AM
I'm going to be pretty annoyed if Bonner is back on this team tbh

Beaverfuzz
07-08-2016, 10:39 AM

Not worth it at all at this stage in the game. Would be more helpful as a consultant/assistant coach TBH.

Beaverfuzz
07-08-2016, 10:40 AM

Albatross.

Dre_7
07-08-2016, 10:50 AM
Albatross.

FAR from it. He is still productive and will be an important leader for the young bench.

bklynspursfan
07-08-2016, 10:53 AM

Exactly. I don't think many people here have been spurs fans for too long who don't know this

Beaverfuzz
07-08-2016, 10:58 AM
FAR from it. He is still productive and will be an important leader for the young bench.

He's nowhere near productive as his contract pays him. Lose the spare tire in the middle and quit trying to flail into the key and draw the foul. The refs aren't calling that anymore.

Darius Bieber
07-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Damn, that Spurs roster is thin...

sammy
07-08-2016, 11:50 AM
As long as they don't sign Bonner! I'd rather have Boris than worthless Bonner! :bang

Dre_7
07-08-2016, 11:54 AM
He's nowhere near productive as his contract pays him. Lose the spare tire in the middle and quit trying to flail into the key and draw the foul. The refs aren't calling that anymore.

And prior to that, for his entire career, his contract paid him no where near what his production was. It all balances out. Actually I would be willing to guess that even with this contract, he has not earned as much as he was worth for his NBA career.

And it is for ONE year. There is no one they can bring in this year that will give them anything more than what Manu can give them.

gambit1990
07-08-2016, 12:10 PM
spurs should shed parker so they can afford duncan, manu, gasol.

Spur|n|Austin
07-08-2016, 12:32 PM
spurs should shed parker so they can afford duncan, manu, gasol.

I don't think it's about $$ for TD - his knees are done, unfortunately.

r0drig0lac
07-08-2016, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I read a tweet with someone wondering how the warriors could afford Durant with their three stars. It's because Parker is getting paid like it fourth star.

or Curry is paid as a role player

DAF86
07-08-2016, 03:37 PM
So what's the team's rotation gonna look like?

Parker, Green, Leonard, Aldridge, Gasol

Mills, Manu, Bertans, Anderson, Deadmon?

Kind of weak, tbh. We need two more rotation players, imho. A wing, and a Center.

Keepin' it real
07-08-2016, 03:39 PM
So what's the team's rotation gonna look like?

Parker, Green, Leonard, Aldridge, Gasol

Mills, Manu, Bertans, Anderson, Deadmon?

Kind of weak, tbh. We need two more rotation players, imho. A wing, and a Center.

No kidding, they might only win 58 games and advance to the WCF.

That's weak ...

peacemaker885
07-08-2016, 03:46 PM
or Curry is paid as a role player

^ Curry is just being paid 12M. Chandler Parsons is being paid more. Evan Fournier is being paid more. Its just a perfect circumstances for GSW.

ernest787
07-08-2016, 03:57 PM
The warriors got really lucky with the cap situation. Curry had all the foot/ankle injuries early in his career and he looked like he wasn't going to hold up to the physicality of the NBA. B/c of the foot/ankle issues Curry and the dubs agreed to a contract that was a "prove it" deal.

The gamble paid off. If Curry was a max player they don't have the money to go get KD, but now they do. It's something the NBA has never seen and likely never will again. It was just the perfect storm for them.

The good news for the Spurs is that Kawhi, LMA, Tony, and Green are all on great contracts now and they will have some flexibility going forward. I don't know that they can compete this year, but if things develop properly and they do well in FA next offseason they could be right back in the mix a year from now.

r0drig0lac
07-08-2016, 04:08 PM
^ Curry is just being paid 12M. Chandler Parsons is being paid more. Evan Fournier is being paid more. Its just a perfect circumstances for GSW.

this