PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts About the State of the Spurs and The End

timvp
07-08-2016, 07:27 AM
-I like the Pau Gasol signing. Given the contracts that were handed out this summer, getting him on a two-year deal for $30 million is more than reasonable. And I believe that he fits what the Spurs needed most: another player who can create easy offense. Gasol's exemplary passing ability will be a seamless fit into the offensive scheme. The fact that he can knock down an open shot is also important for a starting lineup that tended to have spacing issues last season. Add in his quality hands and soft touch around the rim and it's safe to say he'll be a successful fit for San Antonio – as long as the 36-year-old can keep Father Time at bay, of course.

-I also like the signing of Dewayne Dedmon. The bigman rotation last year obviously lacked athleticism, which ultimately became a leading cause of the downfall against the Thunder. Dedmon is raw (while he's turning 27 over the summer, he started playing basketball at 18 – so his basketball maturity is closer to that of a 22- or 23-year-old) but he could really help if he pans out. A bigman who can run and jump who plays with a lot of energy to play next to LaMarcus Aldridge or Gasol? Yes, please. However, it's important to realize he's far from a guaranteed fit; there are reasons (mostly revolving around the aforementioned rawness) why he got less than 10% of the guaranteed money that bigmen like Mozgov and Mahinmi got. Dedmon could be the next failed bigman gamble in the vein of Jackie Butler, but let us hope he'll be another success story to put alongside Baynes and Boban.

-Speaking of Boban, it was disappointing to see the Spurs lose him. I'm not sure how much he would have helped the Spurs next season but he was definitely intriguing. Perhaps his flaws would have ultimately led him to never evolving to anything more than a situational player ... but it sure would have been fun to watch him try. Ah well. The Pistons offer ended up being something the Spurs couldn't match even if they wanted to.

-The End. I apologize for burying the lede but it's difficult to actually type it out. From the latest I heard, the plan is for Tim Duncan to retire today. :depressed If today is indeed the end, there's only one thing I can say: Thanks. It was a damn fun ride.

-From what I was told, about three weeks ago Duncan started working out on his own to see how his body reacted. Unfortunately, the knee that used to be his good knee didn't improve at all despite the rest. He has played a long time on one leg but losing his good knee has simply made it impossible for Duncan to keep going.

-The Spurs have been telling Duncan to take his time in making his decision in hopes that he changes his mind. The front office didn't expect to lose both Boris Diaw and David West this offseason – and they had previously projected that they'd be able to keep Boban. After losing all three, the Spurs prefer for Duncan to return – but they obviously will let him make the final call.

-If nothing is announced today, I would take it as good news in the Duncan-returning front. But from everything I've heard, it's the end. And knowing Duncan, he'd like nothing more than to be able to covertly disappear rather than ever even announcing anything.

-The Spurs knew that if the bidding for Gasol went beyond a certain number that they'd lose Diaw. And considering that Pop gave up on him at the end of last season, everyone was fine with that. Losing West was surprising to the front office but apparently he felt disrespected. By what? They don't really know. As for Boban, he was lost when Manu Ginobili demanded a raise.

-Ginobili went to the Spurs with a one-year, $18-19 million offer in hand from another team. Was he serious about taking the offer? I don't think anyone believed he would have actually left but Ginobili was able to create enough leverage to get somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 million from the Spurs.

-Is Ginobili worth that? Hell yes. I'm thrilled to have him back for another season. In my eyes, he's still the most impactful bench player in the league. Sure, he doesn't score like Jamal Crawford or defend like Andre Iguodala, but Ginobili remains the ultimate difference-maker off the bench. Besides, it would have been too painful to see both Duncan and Ginobili retire in the same summer.

-All in all, I think the front office has done a really good job. I don't think there is a bad contract on the books, especially after the rise of the salary cap. Danny Green is suddenly a bargain. I know Spurs fans aren't in love with Tony Parker's salary but I'm confident he would have gotten Gasol money in free agency if made available. A four-time champion, former Finals MVP coming off of a bounce-back season would have been paid big bucks in this market.

-With how things turned out this summer, Kyle Anderson now has a path to be a full-time stretch power forward – and I think that will suite him well. He's playing PF in summer league, which is likely a sign of things to come. If he can rebound (he already rebounds better than Diaw), I don't see why it won't work. (And while it's a bit scary to think about [especially since it's so far away], any hope of the Spurs beating the Warriors probably includes a lot of small ball with Anderson at power forward.)

-I'm still intrigued by Jonathon Simmons. His game still needs some taming and refining but he's a plus athlete who can create off the dribble and finish, while also being equipped with above average court vision. If he uses his athleticism to become anything close to a lockdown defender, I could easily imagine Pop falling in love with him.

-Dejounte Murray has a pretty high ceiling for being selected 29th. He didn't really play that well as a freshman at Washington (especially if you dive into his advanced stats) but I found it interesting that Spurs actually relied more on their scouting of him from back when he was in high school. They were able to ignore the question marks that scared other teams off because they were confident in their scouting reports from a couple years ago. The same type of long-term scouting led them to George Hill and Cory Joseph, so hopefully it works again.

-Kawhi Leonard. MVP runner-up. Not bad, kid. Couldn't finish these disjointed Random Thoughts without at least mentioning his name.

Chinook
07-08-2016, 07:30 AM
Of course.

raybies
07-08-2016, 07:36 AM
First of all :wow a timvp sighting.

Second of all good write up as usual. Miss your posts. Mostly agree.

Lastly, any news to report on the sale of the site?

cutewizard
07-08-2016, 07:37 AM
thanks boss, always a pleasure reading your essays

Go Spppppppppppppppppuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrssssss go!

RD2191
07-08-2016, 07:38 AM
Bold me, before you go go.

urunobili
07-08-2016, 07:39 AM
Thanks timvp :tu good to have you back even if it was just for this thread :tu

Chinook
07-08-2016, 07:39 AM
I think the Duncan chapter is closed no matter what now. I mean, if Ginobili essentially kicked Boban off the team to get his money, then there isn't cap space for Duncan to come back. I definitely appreciate the insider perspective, though.

hsxvvd
07-08-2016, 07:40 AM
Finally some quality thoughts and opinions.

cutewizard
07-08-2016, 07:40 AM
question pls, can we still get Ioannis Bourousis???

tbdog
07-08-2016, 07:41 AM
I read the post and was thinking that this guy knows a bit about the Spurs than anyone else. Then I saw the name. Damn. I miss your game rankings.

cutewizard
07-08-2016, 07:41 AM
Manu is great, but could he have sacrificed a little bit again, so Boban will not leave us?

so sad.......

szkorhetz
07-08-2016, 07:44 AM
10 millions for Manu?

siraulo23
07-08-2016, 07:49 AM
Shet, timvp sighting

mookie2001
07-08-2016, 07:49 AM
Will you assuage the stock holders Lj?

picnroll
07-08-2016, 07:55 AM
Thanks timvp. Hope whatever deal you signed requires your posting more often. Cheers.

siraulo23
07-08-2016, 07:59 AM
It sucks that Duncan's good knee gave out, last season could have turned out differently and theres probably a good chance he'd be back this year instead of him hanging it up

RD2191
07-08-2016, 08:00 AM
But seriously gonna be a sad day if Tim calls it quits today. :depressed

xellos88330
07-08-2016, 08:06 AM
Watching Tim walk away is painful. I want him to, but also don't.

raybies
07-08-2016, 08:09 AM
End of an era. Feels like my childhood is over. At least we still have Ginobili and Parker.

tmtcsc
07-08-2016, 08:09 AM
-The End. I apologize for burying the lede but it's difficult to actually type it out. From the latest I heard, the plan is for Tim Duncan to retire today. :depressed If today is indeed the end, there's only one thing I can say: Thanks. It was a damn fun ride.

-From what I was told, about three weeks ago Duncan started working out on his own to see how his body reacted. Unfortunately, the knee that used to be his good knee didn't improve at all despite the rest. He has played a long time on one leg but losing his good knee has simply made it impossible for Duncan to keep going.

That's enough for me. There are no lingering questions in my mid. He gave everything he could for this franchise and played until the wheel(s) fell off - just like he said he would. My hope would be for him to stay with the franchise as a coach or in some other capacity.

bigfan
07-08-2016, 08:11 AM
I stay on this board and ignore the BS posts so I can read and participate in posts like this. If TD retires, so be it, we will move on and hopefully he sticks around the SA area (maybe with some sort of duties at Spurs HQ). Losing West hurts, losing Diaw hurts more because he has done a hell of a job in the past and as for Boban, hey, a great guy and I'm glad he is getting paid. As for Manu, I agree he still has gas in the tank and as far as I'm concerned TD, Manu and Parker should stay Spurs as long as possible. Imagine if Manu was offered that much what they would pay Parker out there now. Keep posting TIMVP.

benefactor
07-08-2016, 08:19 AM
OP is an emo quitter tbh

raybies
07-08-2016, 08:20 AM
re David West:does This have to do with the Spurs lol

TheGreatYacht
07-08-2016, 08:23 AM
Unpink :(

Phenomanul
07-08-2016, 08:45 AM
-I like the Pau Gasol signing. Given the contracts that were handed out this summer, getting him on a two-year deal for $30 million is more than reasonable. And I believe that he fits what the Spurs needed most: another player who can create easy offense. Gasol's exemplary passing ability will be a seamless fit into the offensive scheme. The fact that he can knock down an open shot is also important for a starting lineup that tended to have spacing issues last season. Add in his quality hands and soft touch around the rim and it's safe to say he'll be a successful fit for San Antonio – as long as the 36-year-old can keep Father Time at bay, of course.

-I also like the signing of Dewayne Dedmon. The bigman rotation last year obviously lacked athleticism, which ultimately became a leading cause of the downfall against the Thunder. Dedmon is raw (while he's turning 27 over the summer, he started playing basketball at 18 – so his basketball maturity is closer to that of a 22- or 23-year-old) but he could really help if he pans out. A bigman who can run and jump who plays with a lot of energy to play next to LaMarcus Aldridge or Gasol? Yes, please. However, it's important to realize he's far from a guaranteed fit; there are reasons (mostly revolving around the aforementioned rawness) why he got less than 10% of the guaranteed money that bigmen like Mozgov and Mahinmi got. Dedmon could be the next failed bigman gamble in the vein of Jackie Butler, but let us hope he'll be another success story to put alongside Baynes and Boban.

-Speaking of Boban, it was disappointing to see the Spurs lose him. I'm not sure how much he would have helped the Spurs next season but he was definitely intriguing. Perhaps his flaws would have ultimately led him to never evolving to anything more than a situational player ... but it sure would have been fun to watch him try. Ah well. The Pistons offer ended up being something the Spurs couldn't match even if they wanted to.

-The Spurs have been telling Duncan to take his time in making his decision in hopes that he changes his mind. The front office didn't expect to lose both Boris Diaw and David West this offseason – and they had previously projected that they'd be able to keep Boban. After losing all three, the Spurs prefer for Duncan to return – but they obviously will let him make the final call.

-If nothing is announced today, I would take it as good news in the Duncan-returning front. But from everything I've heard, it's the end. And knowing Duncan, he'd like nothing more than to be able to covertly disappear rather than ever even announcing anything.

-The Spurs knew that if the bidding for Gasol went beyond a certain number that they'd lose Diaw. And considering that Pop gave up on him at the end of last season, everyone was fine with that. Losing West was surprising to the front office but apparently he felt disrespected. By what? They don't really know. As for Boban, he was lost when Manu Ginobili demanded a raise.

-Ginobili went to the Spurs with a one-year, $18-19 million offer in hand from another team. Was he serious about taking the offer? I don't think anyone believed he would have actually left but Ginobili was able to create enough leverage to get somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 million from the Spurs.

-Is Ginobili worth that? Hell yes. I'm thrilled to have him back for another season. In my eyes, he's still the most impactful bench player in the league. Sure, he doesn't score like Jamal Crawford or defend like Andre Iguodala, but Ginobili remains the ultimate difference-maker off the bench. Besides, it would have been too painful to see both Duncan and Ginobili retire in the same summer.

-All in all, I think the front office has done a really good job. I don't think there is a bad contract on the books, especially after the rise of the salary cap. Danny Green is suddenly a bargain. I know Spurs fans aren't in love with Tony Parker's salary but I'm confident he would have gotten Gasol money in free agency if made available. A four-time champion, former Finals MVP coming off of a bounce-back season would have been paid big bucks in this market.

-With how things turned out this summer, Kyle Anderson now has a path to be a full-time stretch power forward – and I think that will suite him well. He's playing PF in summer league, which is likely a sign of things to come. If he can rebound (he already rebounds better than Diaw), I don't see why it won't work. (And while it's a bit scary to think about [especially since it's so far away], any hope of the Spurs beating the Warriors probably includes a lot of small ball with Anderson at power forward.)

-I'm still intrigued by Jonathon Simmons. His game still needs some taming and refining but he's a plus athlete who can create off the dribble and finish, while also being equipped with above average court vision. If he uses his athleticism to become anything close to a lockdown defender, I could easily imagine Pop falling in love with him.

-Dejounte Murray has a pretty high ceiling for being selected 29th. He didn't really play that well as a freshman at Washington (especially if you dive into his advanced stats) but I found it interesting that Spurs actually relied more on their scouting of him from back when he was in high school. They were able to ignore the question marks that scared other teams off because they were confident in their scouting reports from a couple years ago. The same type of long-term scouting led them to George Hill and Cory Joseph, so hopefully it works again.

-Kawhi Leonard. MVP runner-up. Not bad, kid. Couldn't finish these disjointed Random Thoughts without at least mentioning his name.

It's so sad to see the end near in sight that you forgot your signature stamp. --> :hat

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-08-2016, 08:45 AM
Manu pulling a Wade :wow

Let's hope he can repay PATFO for not pushing him out by signing an Amir Johnson type contract. Would be a good trade chip next summer.

bklynspursfan
07-08-2016, 08:48 AM

Gotta say, that makes what he did in Game 6 against OKC even more special. Heart of a champion.... The guy is a fighter and a winner. Till the wheels fall off....:depressed:clap

ceperez
07-08-2016, 08:49 AM
I stay on this board and ignore the BS posts so I can read and participate in posts like this. If TD retires, so be it, we will move on and hopefully he sticks around the SA area (maybe with some sort of duties at Spurs HQ). Losing West hurts, losing Diaw hurts more because he has done a hell of a job in the past and as for Boban, hey, a great guy and I'm glad he is getting paid. As for Manu, I agree he still has gas in the tank and as far as I'm concerned TD, Manu and Parker should stay Spurs as long as possible. Imagine if Manu was offered that much what they would pay Parker out there now. Keep posting TIMVP.
:bobo

silverblackfan
07-08-2016, 08:56 AM
Domain name goes down, then timvp posting, Tim retiring after 19 years...it really is the apocalypse.

I think the new line up will be competitive and I am liking the new younger players. Pau in a Spurs uniform is going to be weird at first, but after a few nice passes from him in the high/low post will probably fix that optic.
Shame to lose Boban and Bobo. Great to have Manu back for one more year. Don't want to talk about Tim until it is official.

Brazil
07-08-2016, 09:01 AM
Timvp sighting :tu

hopefully you stick around once in a while after handing over ST

George Gervin's Afro
07-08-2016, 09:01 AM
I heart Duncan...

picnroll
07-08-2016, 09:04 AM
Losing both Diaw and West is the biggest problem apart from Duncan's loss. Spurs have only two established bigs, particularly on offense. Pop's going to have a hard time getting rest days in and even small injuries with missed games are going to be brutal.

Ron Swanson
07-08-2016, 09:06 AM
Damn, the wheels really fell off.

Spurs9
07-08-2016, 09:09 AM
10 millions for Manu?

:bang

sasaint
07-08-2016, 09:15 AM
:bang

AND a roster spot.

Mouth is Bleeding
07-08-2016, 09:15 AM
People/trolls who will endlessly lose their shit and bitch over Manu's 10 or 15 million, please realise his fucking cap hold, the market and the little relation to anything the Spurs could have realistically done there.

+ he is still underpaid and Timvp calling him the bench player STILL with the most impact in the league is a very good take! On top of being a legend who has given everything to the Spurs he is quite simply the most value.

Spurs9
07-08-2016, 09:18 AM
People who will endlessly lose their shit and bitch over Manu's 10 or 15 million, please realise his fucking cap hold, the market and the little relation to anything the Spurs could have realistically done there.

+ he is still underpaid and Timvp calling him the bench player STILL with the most impact in the league is a very good take!

:rolleyes

DPG21920
07-08-2016, 09:23 AM
:rolleyes

You should not roll your eyes. Underpaid/Overpaid is relative. The fact Manu turned down a bigger offer (fact not fiction) means he took less money and is underpaid.

ginobilized
07-08-2016, 09:24 AM
timvp!!!! Great to hear from you.

Today is a big day for Spurs fans. Feels like the end of the Duncan era. What a thrill to ride TD's coattails as a fan for 19 yrs.

This will be a MAJOR return to the under the radar ways of the Spurs, sometimes that works out well.

TheDoctor
07-08-2016, 09:26 AM

http://www.strangeracer.com/images/content/188277.gif

cutewizard
07-08-2016, 09:29 AM
Duncan, thank you for all the memories!

YOU ARE THE GREATEST POWER FORWARD OF ALL TIME, AND YOU HAVE GIVEN SPURS FANS THOSE PRICELESS WORLD TITLE TROPHIES!

GODSPEED!

BatManu20
07-08-2016, 09:42 AM
Timvp sighting :wow

Thanks for the write up. I think Timmy should walk away tbh, as much as it pains me to say it. It's time. I hate seeing him as a broken down stiff out there. He was too great a player for that. We're definitely thin at the big man position though.

DisAsTerBot
07-08-2016, 09:46 AM
:tu

Mr. Body
07-08-2016, 09:48 AM
More sense in one post than the site has had in years.

TheGreatYacht
07-08-2016, 09:49 AM
10 millions for Manu?
:vomit:

Old School 44
07-08-2016, 09:57 AM
I don't know how it would work contract/cap wise, but is it possible for Tim/Spurs to have a planned way for Tim to play half the year? Maybe retire and then unretire at the all-star break if he felt up to it? I know...I'm in denial. :(

buttsR4rebounding
07-08-2016, 09:58 AM
Thanks, TiMVP. Always a good read. Spurs are definitely going to be thin up front. Manu's deal is deserved, but likely means vet minimum bigs for the 4th, 5th and 6th bigs.

jjktkk
07-08-2016, 10:01 AM

Nice write up, agree on all points. Thanks for making a appearance around here.

bklynspursfan
07-08-2016, 10:03 AM
With all the stuff in the news today, you think TD would announce his retirement? It'd definitely be under the radar, but at the same time maybe he wouldn't want to now?

RD2191
07-08-2016, 10:04 AM
OP is an emo quitter tbh

Tbh

look_at_g_shred
07-08-2016, 10:04 AM
Just say it TIm.. What are you waiting for? Time to move on..

Spurs9
07-08-2016, 10:23 AM
You should not roll your eyes. Underpaid/Overpaid is relative. The fact Manu turned down a bigger offer (fact not fiction) means he took less money and is underpaid.
How are we even going to afford to pay him $10million? Based off that cap video that was posted, we assumed he would be near 5, are we going to pay luxury tax for Manu?

turkish spurs fan
07-08-2016, 10:25 AM
organized article but says nothing new and important tbh

ducks
07-08-2016, 10:30 AM
I wonder if west thought he would get a big offer next year or if he played well enough they would not go after gasol and felt disrespected they went after gasol

loveforthegame
07-08-2016, 10:35 AM
Always good to read timvp thoughts. :tu

Bums me about Duncan even when the writing was on the wall for awhile. :(
Disappointed in Manu asking for a raise but it is what it is.
West felt disrespected? Good riddance then.

Going to be an interesting season.

peacemaker885
07-08-2016, 10:36 AM
Lord Commander.

DPG21920
07-08-2016, 10:37 AM
How are we even going to afford to pay him $10million? Based off that cap video that was posted, we assumed he would be near 5, are we going to pay luxury tax for Manu?

Not at all. Tacking on an additional 5M to Manu's cap hold does nothing to the team's ability to sign FA's (meaning, once it was decided he was getting at least as much as his cap hold or more) and the team won't hit the Luxury Tax either.

Spurs9
07-08-2016, 10:53 AM
Not at all. Tacking on an additional 5M to Manu's cap hold does nothing to the team's ability to sign FA's (meaning, once it was decided he was getting at least as much as his cap hold or more) and the team won't hit the Luxury Tax either.
Thanks, didn't know that. :tu

Solid D
07-08-2016, 10:58 AM
Stellar post from a forum board friend, the legendary timvp. Glad to see your thoughts and insight, again my friend.

Regarding your Paul Gasol comments, I agree except I think I see as much value coming to the Spurs in interior defense. He produced 2 bpg the last two seasons in Chi-town and that's great stuff for a guy in his mid-30s.

I am also delighted with Anderson's rebounding and overall play despite his limitations in the fast-twitch area. He is becoming a more savvy player all the time and he can rebound, distribute and score versus most any lineup, now.

Good stuff!

cutewizard
07-08-2016, 11:03 AM
Stellar post from a forum board friend, the legendary timvp. Glad to see your thoughts and insight, again my friend.

Regarding your Paul Gasol comments, I agree except I think I see as much value coming to the Spurs in interior defense. He produced 2 bpg the last two seasons in Chi-town and that's great stuff for a guy in his mid-30s.

I am also delighted with Anderson's rebounding and overall play despite his limitations in the fast-twitch area. He is becoming a more savvy player all the time and he can rebound, distribute and score versus most any lineup, now.

Good stuff!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

i like Anderson, too

do you think he can be our Magic Johnson??

Solid D
07-08-2016, 11:09 AM

i like Anderson, too

No, haha. Probably not. He doesn't have that type of personality and leadership command. Not as good a defender either. He's got some similarities to Magic in that he can play the pivot or out on the floor. Also pretty nice court vision and awareness.

robert1886
07-08-2016, 11:10 AM

i like Anderson, too

I wish!

Never actually sign into my account, I always just lurk around for years and read everyone's comments, but these past couple of days have been intense for a spurs fan. TIMVP good to see you post! It is hard to imagine mentioning the spurs without Duncan. Today will be a sad day if he does indeed retired even though it is something we all saw coming. The future is still bright thanks to Duncan laying the foundation to what is the great organization of the spurs!

Mark in Austin
07-08-2016, 11:12 AM
Good to hear from you, timvp. Sad news about Duncan. I feel so incredibly grateful for being able to have watched his whole career. He said he'd play 'till the wheels fell off. Looks like they finally have.

I think Gasol will be a brilliant fit. Biggest what if in a while for me - if Gasol had picked the Spurs over Chicago a couple years back...

SPURt
07-08-2016, 11:14 AM

Ugh... That's tough to read. It's amazing he played as well as he did in his last game despite the physical limitations. I'm still holding out hope Tim forces year 20 but this tidbit makes it seem incredibly unlikely.

baseline bum
07-08-2016, 11:15 AM

Since his "good" knee never responded to rest in the season, I wasn't expecting a miracle in the offseason either. Tough to lose the heart and soul of the team after 19 years and I can't imagine the team as a title contender without him. Still, it's awesome to be a Spurs fan. Most teams are playing for ping pong balls when a legend hangs it up. But the Spurs should still be a top 4 seed in the west and should still be playing some awesome basketball. This team should probably still win in the neighborhood of 55 games, which I would have never believed would happen when Tim retired if you told me a few years ago.

Maybe he found it disrespectful that he was given so many minutes to get eaten alive by Kanter and Adams? :lol

I wish Holt has just matched the deal. I mean he gave AJ $8 million back when Duncan's max salary was $9.6 million. With the paycuts Manu has repeatedly taken to keep this incredible team together the last 13 years and with the Spurs nowhere close to the luxury tax line I would have given him a big one year deal.

baseline bum
07-08-2016, 11:18 AM
I don't know how it would work contract/cap wise, but is it possible for Tim/Spurs to have a planned way for Tim to play half the year? Maybe retire and then unretire at the all-star break if he felt up to it? I know...I'm in denial. :(

The Spurs would have to salary dump Mills right now to do it.

Darius Bieber
07-08-2016, 11:20 AM
Glad to see timvp back. If this is really the end of Duncan's career, I'll just be happy to know I had the privilege of watching his entire career. GOAT

Uriel
07-08-2016, 11:31 AM
So much insider information in this post not being reported by a single media outlet. How does OP know all this?

Spur|n|Austin
07-08-2016, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the post, timvp (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8) - stick around a while!

This Tim news is really a bummer, I'll never forget him walking off the court in OKC last season shooting a hand up to the crowd - it just felt like the end.

I can only hope he's around the franchise in one form or another; I'm forever grateful for what he's done for this franchise, all in true professional fashion.

GOAT

Ice009
07-08-2016, 11:38 AM
I think Tim should just take more time. He doesn't have to be ready for the start of the season. He should take most of the off-season off and see if it improves in a month or two. He can start training again later if it improves and start playing in January onward. If it doesn't improve in the next couple of months, he could also call it quits before training camp begins. I guess it also depends if the Doctors say it will or won't heal with more time off.

No need to rush anything IMO.

Killakobe81
07-08-2016, 11:39 AM
So much insider information in this post not being reported by a single media outlet. How does OP know all this?

TimVP is very connected.
I dont think I ever considered him to be a "i know someone who is very close to the situation" type ...
Or that he shares for "cool" points.
I find Tmvp to be very forthright and even if ends up being wrong on this I would not change my thoughts on his credibility.

Nathan89
07-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Timvp bringing a lot of inside information to the table.

mbass
07-08-2016, 11:41 AM
Good to hear from you, timvp. Sad news about Duncan. I feel so incredibly grateful for being able to have watched his whole career. He said he'd play 'till the wheels fell off. Looks like they finally have.

I think Gasol will be a brilliant fit. Biggest what if in a while for me - if Gasol had picked the Spurs over Chicago a couple years back...

If Gasol had picked the Spurs a couple of years back, would we have gone all out for LMA last year?

mbass
07-08-2016, 11:44 AM
what if Tim came back as a player-coach? would that change anything?

robert1886
07-08-2016, 11:45 AM
If Gasol had picked the Spurs a couple of years back, would we have gone all out for LMA last year?
I think they would have but at the same time it is hard to go back in time and think what if we had this player. The whole dynamic of the team changes, who knows what the team would like now especially when considering the cap.

lefty
07-08-2016, 11:47 AM
ST was sold to make room for Manu's contract imo

Solid D
07-08-2016, 12:04 PM

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KFU-wXsRhic/hqdefault.jpg

He's timvp.

mookie2001
07-08-2016, 12:09 PM
insider info is drudge report and the manager at the petroleum club

Seventyniner
07-08-2016, 12:26 PM
TimVP is very connected.
I dont think I ever considered him to be a "i know someone who is very close to the situation" type ...
Or that he shares for "cool" points.
I find Tmvp to be very forthright and even if ends up being wrong on this I would not change my thoughts on his credibility.

This. Unlike many posters here, timvp is not an attention where at all.

kobyz
07-08-2016, 12:27 PM
Whity can't play anymore at an nba level, he's a liability, he can't be helpful anymore so people should stop with that nonsense!

benefactor
07-08-2016, 12:27 PM
More sense in one post than the site has had in years.
I bet this was sweet relief for you. I'm sure you've been waiting anxiously for the day you could once again drop to your knees in front of him and unbuckle his pants.

RandomGuy
07-08-2016, 01:01 PM

I approve of these Random thoughts.

Robz4000
07-08-2016, 01:07 PM
I bet this was sweet relief for you. I'm sure you've been waiting anxiously for the day you could once again drop to your knees in front of him and unbuckle his pants.

:lmao

Darkwaters
07-08-2016, 01:13 PM
TimVP sighting! Always good to hear from you friend.

apalisoc_9
07-08-2016, 01:26 PM

Best post in this thread..

07-08-2016, 01:27 PM
Wonder which team offered the 1 year $19 million contract to Manu. Lakers? Sixers? One of the tanking teams for sure. Just want to eat up some cap space and have someone to mentor the young players.

Wish Duncan could have gotten a big contract too. At least Manu is getting paid. Stay one more year Duncan... need to do a proper farewell tour with Duncan and Manu together. And then they can maybe even enter the HOF together.

lefty
07-08-2016, 01:28 PM

-21-
07-08-2016, 01:31 PM
Maybe he found it disrespectful that he was given so many minutes to get eaten alive by Kanter and Adams? :lol

:lmao I think he was expecting the Spurs to repay him the money he gave up to come here tbh.

GSH
07-08-2016, 01:38 PM
LMAO... well I sure as hell got trolled. You don't write for a couple of years, and leave us in virtual mod-less hell. The site goes dark. Then you show up talking about "the end"?

And it ain't even April 1. :lol

kaji157
07-08-2016, 01:45 PM
I don΄t get why everyone is saying Manu will make 10 millions a season. I would be surprised if he got more than 5.

MultiTroll
07-08-2016, 01:47 PM
-I like the Pau Gasol signing.
Certainly under no obligation, but could you tell any of us what you've been up to the last couple? Just generally speaking. I'm sure a lot who don't already know would like to know.

Writing for ____? Dealing with offspring? Helping Mouse with legal matters? Getting sucked out/sucking out on the river?

Mugen
07-08-2016, 01:48 PM
So either Timmy retires or we have to salary dump Patty for nothing. Great.

jeebus
07-08-2016, 01:49 PM
He sold the site to Duncan.

Ice009
07-08-2016, 02:07 PM
This is kind of driving me crazy.

kobyz
07-08-2016, 02:13 PM
As a Duncan fan, i don't want spurs to win any more titles after him, it will be not good for his legacy!

biziofromdowntown
07-08-2016, 02:22 PM
TIMVP back to honour the GOAT. Sounds right.

timvp
07-08-2016, 02:23 PM
Selling SpursTalk :lol. Sounds like y'all boys got trolled.

I debated posting at all because of the other quality threads that have been great to read during the offseason. Didn't want to take the focus off the very good posters keeping those threads going. Keep it up.

I'm still holding out hope that Duncan plays one more year. One more year of the Big Three would be amazing. Even if Duncan plays 10 minutes a night, it'd be worth it for one more season in the sun. But if the wheels have fallen off, the wheels have fallen off. Being able to have watched every game of his career has been a joy. I honestly don't think that any fan of any sport of any era has experienced as entertaining of a ride as being a Spurs fan the last 20 years. Duncan leading a rebel ABA outfit from South Texas to five NBA championships with sustained success despite the devastation of Game 6, .4, The Foul, etc. has been a ride too preposterously joyous for even the rosiest of storybooks. Thanks again, TD.

TheGreatYacht
07-08-2016, 02:26 PM
One part of me wants Tim to retire so his stats don't get wrecked and because he's already given everything he has to us. The other part wants him to stay just so he's not the undercard to Kobe's HOF speech.... Even though he's arguably a Top 5 player while Kirby is Top 15 if you're being generous.

rastaspur
07-08-2016, 02:29 PM

:lol

Alot of nuthugging going on in this post.

biziofromdowntown
07-08-2016, 02:32 PM
I will not complane if it's the end. What a ride my friends, what a ride...
All i can say is thanks God for TimmyD

Splits
07-08-2016, 02:37 PM

Is that why you never sent me the analytics?

Mr. Body
07-08-2016, 02:39 PM

Ok

Yuixafun
07-08-2016, 02:40 PM
Somewhere I read about the stretch 4 evolving into the playmaking 4...

Which is exactly what Kyle Anderson is being developed into. His speed and quickness limitations are mitigated, while his pace and bbiq are being emphasized. Also he's shown to be adept enough on defense for switches, and his agility and savvy is an edge against bigger pfs and centers.

With the same way Kawhi was given tools every year to become the player he is today, KA is following the same path. And Murray's road is just beginning.

3 years from now we'll have a fading prime Lma, in prime KL, DG and maybe Simmons, beginning prime Ka.. and seasoned vet 22 year old pg ready to start.

The bigs moving forward are still a huge ? But we have some great ingredients post big 3.

objective
07-08-2016, 02:41 PM
I debated posting at all because of the other quality threads that have been great to read during the offseason. Didn't want to take the focus off the very good posters keeping those threads going. Keep it up.

Your welcome.

r0drig0lac
07-08-2016, 02:43 PM
tbh

rastaspur
07-08-2016, 02:45 PM
The tim duncan era has been amazing.

I became a spurs fan when d rob was drafted. Huge d rob fan. Became used to the spurs getting waxed year in and out in the playoffs and took on a kobe bryant type perspective as a fan. I wanted d rob to get his stats and achieve notoriety.

I actually was pissed when duncan was drafted because i knew he would steal d robs spotlight. I actually called for pops head immediately when he named himself head coach. Never have i been so wrong.

20 years removed and i am 100 times a bigger fan of duncan than i ever was of d robs. Huge change of heart and perspective watching the goat and his committment to winning. Spurs fans have been the most spoiled fans over the last 20 years. Its been continual excellence from day 1.

The above is equally applicable to manu. Gonna be an equally sad day when he retires.

Thank you duncan. Your example molded the shape and thought process of the whole spurs organization and many a fan who was more player oriented instead of team oriented.

baseline bum
07-08-2016, 02:50 PM

I'm still holding out hope that Duncan plays one more year. One more year of the Big Three would be amazing. Even if Duncan plays 10 minutes a night, it'd be worth it for one more season in the sun. But if the wheels have fallen off, the wheels have fallen off. Being able to have watched every game of his career has been a joy. I honestly don't think that any fan of any sport of any era has experienced as entertaining of a ride as being a Spurs fan the last 20 years. Duncan leading a rebel ABA outfit from South Texas to five NBA championships with sustained success despite the devastation of Game 6, .4, The Foul, etc. has been a ride too preposterously joyous for even the rosiest of storybooks. Thanks again, TD.

I would have given my left nut for one title after how much 1995 hurt, and man, the AT&T Center has five banners now. How unreal is it to watch a title contender every year since 1989-90? (save 1996-97 after David fvcked his back and broke his foot). And they're not in a full rebuild after losing either Robinson or Duncan. They're still going to be a really good team next year. To have one down year in twenty seven and to still have a bright future? More than I could have ever dreamed of back when I first started following the team in a 3/4 empty Hemisfair Arena watching Alfrederic Hughes embarrass himself on the floor.

Solid D
07-08-2016, 02:58 PM
https://d30y9cdsu7xlg0.cloudfront.net/png/16253-200.png

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/27/47/30/6190608/3/1024x1024.jpg

J_Paco
07-08-2016, 02:59 PM

Pretty sure the same people that gave Wojo this information and let him break the story last week. Although, obviously timvp went into greater detail.

Thanks for the post, timvp (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8) - stick around a while!

This Tim news is really a bummer, I'll never forget him walking off the court in OKC last season shooting a hand up to the crowd - it just felt like the end.

I can only hope he's around the franchise in one form or another; I'm forever grateful for what he's done for this franchise, all in true professional fashion.

GOAT

I'm not sure, but the finger pointing in the sky has as much to do with his family (mother and father) as acknowledging the crowd.

Great to see you post again, timvp. You and Kori have been sorely missed around these parts. Hope all is well in life and with the fam.

With this thread I know the inevitable is almost here. A part of me doesn't want to believe it though.....

BillMc
07-08-2016, 03:33 PM
TiMVP with the great post as always. Reason I came to this website in the first place!:toast

As presently configured (and assuming you're right about TD) how do you see the Spur's outlook for next season?

Brazil
07-08-2016, 03:42 PM
The Trolling

:lol solid

FkLA
07-08-2016, 04:14 PM

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Dex
07-08-2016, 04:14 PM
I'm afraid to refresh SpursTalk today. Every time I do, I brace myself for a heart sinker.

Darius Bieber
07-08-2016, 04:21 PM
I'm afraid to refresh SpursTalk today. Every time I do, I brace myself for a heart sinker.

Same. I even regret checking my phone, as I get ESPN updates...

EIC
07-08-2016, 04:23 PM
Just posted to tip my cap for correctly spelling "lede." Very few people realize it is "lede" and not "lead" in this context. You, sir, know your shit.

HI-FI
07-08-2016, 04:24 PM
What I'm thinking. Not ready for it to be the end but least it sounds like PATFO have been trying to give him plenty of time.

GSH
07-08-2016, 04:47 PM

Well I sure as hell did. :lol Perfectly timed, with this site going dark, and Duncan giving signs of riding off into the sunset.

So if Tim staying means Patty going... is Manu going to be coming off the bench for Danny, or Tony? Or is Jacques Vaughn going to come back for a min contract?

ElNono
07-08-2016, 05:01 PM

thanks, tbh

raybies
07-08-2016, 05:03 PM

I knew it was a troll :lol

tonight...you
07-08-2016, 05:04 PM
The tim duncan era has been amazing.

I became a spurs fan when d rob was drafted. Huge d rob fan. Became used to the spurs getting waxed year in and out in the playoffs and took on a kobe bryant type perspective as a fan. I wanted d rob to get his stats and achieve notoriety.

I actually was pissed when duncan was drafted because i knew he would steal d robs spotlight. I actually called for pops head immediately when he named himself head coach. Never have i been so wrong.

20 years removed and i am 100 times a bigger fan of duncan than i ever was of d robs. Huge change of heart and perspective watching the goat and his committment to winning. Spurs fans have been the most spoiled fans over the last 20 years. Its been continual excellence from day 1.

The above is equally applicable to manu. Gonna be an equally sad day when he retires.

Thank you duncan. Your example molded the shape and thought process of the whole spurs organization and many a fan who was more player oriented instead of team oriented.
Great post.

mudyez
07-08-2016, 05:28 PM
Best OP in years.

Thats you timvp!

Hoops Czar
07-08-2016, 05:30 PM
timvp - Don't ever leave again.

Strategic
07-08-2016, 05:35 PM
Nice read. I agree with the Manu bit. Taking it further he will probably do more to fill the seats than anyone. Too bad that he didn't have a shoe contract. Hopefully Pop will use him more this year.

DeRozan m8
07-08-2016, 05:41 PM
Fucking Kyle

Chinook
07-08-2016, 05:46 PM
I debated posting at all because of the other quality threads that have been great to read during the offseason.

Hard to take you seriously when you say shit like this. I think we've had some good discussions on here, but the quality of the average thread is beyond awful.

SpursBig3s
07-08-2016, 05:49 PM
As a Duncan fan, i don't want spurs to win any more titles after him, it will be not good for his legacy!

Will you do us all a favor and just shut the fuck up

angel_luv
07-08-2016, 06:09 PM
Excellent post, Timvp !

If Timmy does retire it helps to have heard it from you first.

Mr. Body
07-08-2016, 06:18 PM
No one would pay for this shit show.

angel_luv
07-08-2016, 06:39 PM
Per KSAT 12 news at 6,
Tim Duncan's announcement, whatever it is, is likely delayed several days out of respect for the injured and the murdered officers in the ambush in Dallas.

bklynspursfan
07-08-2016, 06:46 PM
Per KSAT 12 news at 6,
Tim Duncan's announcement, whatever it is, is likely delayed several days out of respect for the injured and the murdered officers in the ambush in Dallas.

That's exactly what I was wondering earlier

With all the stuff in the news today, you think TD would announce his retirement? It'd definitely be under the radar, but at the same time maybe he wouldn't want to now?

Mugen
07-08-2016, 06:48 PM

:rollin

Leetonidas
07-08-2016, 06:54 PM

spurraider21
07-08-2016, 06:56 PM
:lmao December romo with no regard tbh

Em-City
07-08-2016, 07:34 PM
i just saw this on facebook... timvp

http://i68.tinypic.com/142ddp4.jpg

Boogie Munster
07-08-2016, 07:38 PM
Per KSAT News, Tim Duncan's decision will be delayed a few more days out of respect for the fallen police officers killed in an ambush in Dallas.

SAGirl
07-08-2016, 08:00 PM
End of an era. Feels like my childhood is over. At least we still have Ginobili and Parker.
At least we have Dijon, Juice, SlowMo, Bertans (we have to come with a nickname for him) and some development to watch, hopefully filled with some fast paced running and oops, some transition 3s from Bertans and Mills, and the red faced Pop sighting when the inevitable TO pops up.
When Manu rests we will have our choice of some errant passing,:lol and someone is bound to dart to the paint like Tony used to.:toast What is irreplaceable is TD.. but I got to find some fun in watching these youngsters make Pop crazy if anything. I haven't been this excited about a season b4, not bc of the one who retired, but bc we haven't had so much youth together in a long time and when we did, that little young core brought a championship in 2014 (in which the big 3 were still integral parts but Danny, Kawhi and a host of others had to grow up.) Maybe this little youth group coming in (plus the ones who are joining us next season), together with Kawhi a FA reinforcement and the merry band still here by then can bring a championship within 3 years.

Will be fun to continue watching Kawhi too. He's still young too and its his time now.
:flag:

bklynspursfan
07-08-2016, 08:07 PM
Hard to take you seriously when you say shit like this. I think we've had some good discussions on here, but the quality of the average thread is beyond awful.

I thought he was being sarcastic personally

spurs10
07-08-2016, 08:20 PM
Great to see timvp's post. To those criticizing Manu coming back and how it impacted Boban leaving consider Boban made his own decision and rightfully took the big payday. He will be missed, but like CJ, Baines, and many more he was able to greatly increase his profile and salary through his association with the Spurs. I'm happy for him...great guy and fan favorite.

bklynspursfan
07-08-2016, 08:22 PM

Agreed. It'll be so odd once they are all gone. They've given us so many good years

houston spurs fan
07-08-2016, 08:29 PM
Shit.

ElNono
07-08-2016, 11:07 PM
What you think about dem Grizzlies, tbh?

Kikoluna
07-08-2016, 11:40 PM
Current state: Boban and timmy are gone. We still have Kyle and Tony so we suck

Ice009
07-08-2016, 11:43 PM
I'm assuming that if he's holding off the decision a few days, then that means he's pretty much retiring? I wouldn't think there is any need to hold off on the decision if he's coming back? or do you guys think he genuinely wants a few more days to think about it as he's still undecided?

Ron Swanson
07-09-2016, 12:30 AM
I think he's torn about it, but in the end he hangs it up. I'd love for him to give it one more season, but that's just me being selfish. We've been dreading this for a while and it's finally upon us. He has nothing left to prove. If his body can't do it anymore, he should retire. His kids have split time with the Spurs their entire lives. He's a single dad and his time to be with them full time is here. Go enjoy the rest of your life, Tim. You've given us 19 years of greatness and we truly appreciate it.

houston spurs fan
07-09-2016, 12:36 AM
He's not torn he's made up his mind. He is respecting the Dallas law enforcement and delaying the announcement but it's over. The wheels have fallen off.

Leetonidas
07-09-2016, 12:57 AM
Does it still hurt?

Ice009
07-09-2016, 01:02 AM
He's not torn he's made up his mind. He is respecting the Dallas law enforcement and delaying the announcement but it's over. The wheels have fallen off.

I hope I am wrong, but that is what I am thinking. If he's returning, he wouldn't really need to hold off, would he? I think he's showing respect to the Dallas law enforcement by not making the announcement now so that he doesn't overshadow what happened to them.

Having said that, if that's what you've decided Tim, please use the time to think about it some more and come back for one more, Tim.

GSH
07-09-2016, 01:08 AM

When, exactly, did he make up his mind? Did he know the Dallas incident was coming, so he delayed until it happened, so he could then delay for a few more days out of respect? I bet that's it. He knew on Monday, but he said, "Oh, hell... I guess I better wait until after the shootings in Dallas happen, so I won't look disrespectful."

Or did he make up his mind today?

Do you even think at all before saying shit like this?

T Park
07-09-2016, 01:37 AM

And we wonder why this site is considered trash by NBA writers and bloggers all over

houston spurs fan
07-09-2016, 04:52 AM
When, exactly, did he make up his mind? Did he know the Dallas incident was coming, so he delayed until it happened, so he could then delay for a few more days out of respect? I bet that's it. He knew on Monday, but he said, "Oh, hell... I guess I better wait until after the shootings in Dallas happen, so I won't look disrespectful."

Or did he make up his mind today?

Do you even think at all before saying shit like this?
Dumbass, yes I think. KSAT reported as such. If he was going to stay, he'd already have announced it and we would have moved on...

Obstructed_View
07-09-2016, 05:52 AM

I would have given my left nut for one title after how much 1995 hurt, and man, the AT&T Center has five banners now. How unreal is it to watch a title contender every year since 1989-90? (save 1996-97 after David fvcked his back and broke his foot). And they're not in a full rebuild after losing either Robinson or Duncan. They're still going to be a really good team next year. To have one down year in twenty seven and to still have a bright future? More than I could have ever dreamed of back when I first started following the team in a 3/4 empty Hemisfair Arena watching Alfrederic Hughes embarrass himself on the floor.

I remember a San Antonio Light article predicting that the Spurs could win 50 games for the next decade with the combination of Robinson and Elliott, and I was beside myself at the thought.

cutewizard
07-09-2016, 05:53 AM
bye Timmeh...................

cutewizard
07-09-2016, 05:53 AM
The King is gone, LONG LIVE THE KING OF THE SPURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the KINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG of the Spuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrssssssssssss ssss!

cutewizard
07-09-2016, 05:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXAnxAA73xM

cutewizard
07-09-2016, 05:56 AM
If Lyanna Mormont was the Coach of Spursland, how I would love her to put Parker in his place, lol

Obstructed_View
07-09-2016, 06:01 AM
I knew it was a troll :lol

It was Kori's account that posted the announcement. Did she get hacked?

cutewizard
07-09-2016, 06:01 AM
I sense the transfer of power into the hands of Prince Leonard, now the newly crowned King of the Spurs!

May he lead us against the white walkers of golden state!!!!!!

The newwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww King of the Spppppppppppppppuuuuuuuuuuuuursssss!!!!

:claw

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:and soon to be :lobt2:

cutewizard
07-09-2016, 06:03 AM
https://nesncom.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/kawhi-leonard.jpgInto they hands we commend our spirit:

https://nesncom.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/kawhi-leonard.jpg

playblair
07-09-2016, 06:08 AM
i just saw this on facebook... timvp (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8)

http://i68.tinypic.com/142ddp4.jpg

did @timvp (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8) get john carrolled again.........that poster is taking all the credit in comments

YGWHI
07-09-2016, 08:27 AM
If timvp is a well connected with the Spurs organization, I'm very concerned about his post.

-The Spurs have been telling Duncan to take his time in making his decision in hopes that he changes his mind. The front office didn't expect to lose both Boris Diaw and David West this offseason – and they had previously projected that they'd be able to keep Boban. After losing all three, the Spurs prefer for Duncan to return – but they obviously will let him make the final call.-

Are RC/Pop losing "the touch" with the players?

They were forced to make at least three decisions they didn't expect...Worrisome.

he's still the most impactful bench player in the league. Sure, he doesn't score like Jamal Crawford or defend like Andre Iguodala, but Ginobili remains the ultimate difference-maker off the bench.

Why do the Spurs still believe Parker and Manu are difference-makers after both were outplayed by elite teams all season?

Not sure how the Spurs get younger, quicker, more athletic with Parker and Manu still on the team. Our backcourt players are our biggest weaknesses and Pop/RC didn't want to make a move to improve that area.

I LOVE Parker/Manu but "loyalty" is BS, it's time to move on.

And for the record, our bench looked bad, really bad in the regular season against good teams, so Manu being an impactful bench player meant nothing last season.

By what the data is showing, the Spurs’ bench was very productive against less talented teams...So as March showed, when the Spurs faced their toughest competition of the season, that’s also when their bench had its second lowest scoring month.

This kind of connects statistically to what happened against the Thunder in Round 2. When the bench faced tough competition in the Thunder defense, their play showed that their main quintet (http://projectspurs.com/2016-articles/spurs-seek-support-from-bench-vs-thunder.html) of Mills, Ginobili, Anderson, Diaw and West couldn’t match the size, speed, and length of the Thunder defenders either in the backcourt or frontcourt.

...The level of competition actually gave hints in the regular season that the Spurs’ bench was eventually going to struggle when they faced a much better opponent.
http://projectspurs.com/2016-articles/why-did-spurs-bench-fizzle-out-in-playoffs.html

-With how things turned out this summer, Kyle Anderson now has a path to be a full-time stretch power forward – and I think that will suite him well. He's playing PF in summer league, which is likely a sign of things to come. If he can rebound (he already rebounds better than Diaw), I don't see why it won't work
Also "if he can consistently knock down 3's". At least his shot looks better this summer.

any hope of the Spurs beating the Warriors probably includes a lot of small ball with Anderson at power forward

This is the part of I hate most about this post and Pop's approach to adjusting lineups against Warriors.

The Spurs need to stay big against GSW to have a chance...but I can see Pop doing exactly what timvp posted, trying to match their small ball with Kyle at PF. Pop has learned nothing from his mistakes.

TheGreatYacht
07-09-2016, 09:42 AM
Current state: Boban and timmy are gone. We still have Kyle and Tony so we suck
I think you mean "We still have Kyle and Manure so we suck"

tmtcsc
07-09-2016, 09:45 AM
If Lyanna Mormont was the Coach of Spursland, how I would love her to put Parker in his place, lol

That character and the actress that portrayed her were AWESOME. Could use some of that in the locker-room.

Old School 44
07-09-2016, 09:50 AM
Sad...I keep coming back here looking for a REAL announcement regarding Tim Duncan one way or another, and still nothing. :(
Hopefully, this means there's still a chance for his return. :)

Old School 44
07-09-2016, 09:59 AM
Even though Tim's not a media guy, I think he would still have a press conference to announce his decision and thank the fans etc. Maybe the delay is so key people can be here in town and at the press conference when the announcement is made. Not sure where everyone's at, but Pop, Manu, Tony, David, RC, Holt may want to attend.

spurs10
07-09-2016, 10:49 AM
Sad...I keep coming back here looking for a REAL announcement regarding Tim Duncan one way or another, and still nothing. :(
Hopefully, this means there's still a chance for his return. :) It's not over until it's over. The delay because of tragedies in Dallas and Baton Rouge is respectful and expected. I don't think it means he is definitely retiring..maybe the fact Boban, West, and Diaw are gone will make him consider hanging around. It's the cap space that doesn't look promising for his return.

Keepin' it real
07-09-2016, 11:09 AM
I LOVE Parker/Manu but "loyalty" is BS, it's time to move on.

http://imagesmtv-a.akamaihd.net/uri/mgid:file:http:shared:mtv.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/ek5amg-1439732946.gif

YGWHI
07-09-2016, 11:14 AM
http://imagesmtv-a.akamaihd.net/uri/mgid:file:http:shared:mtv.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/ek5amg-1439732946.gif

Well, if loyalty means that with Manu still on the team we won't make any move to upgrade the backcourt, if that means we won't ever trade Parker...Like it or not, it's BS.

cutewizard
07-09-2016, 11:49 AM
That character and the actress that portrayed her were AWESOME. Could use some of that in the locker-room.

----------------------------------------------------------

Precisely my point, thanks man!

Old School 44
07-09-2016, 12:59 PM
It's not over until it's over. The delay because of tragedies in Dallas and Baton Rouge is respectful and expected. I don't think it means he is definitely retiring..maybe the fact Boban, West, and Diaw are gone will make him consider hanging around. It's the cap space that doesn't look promising for his return.
Still don't understand the cap issue? Can't Tim play for anything? I know it's circumventing the cap, but Tim will be employed by the Spurs for life and in whatever capacity he wants. They can pay him as a consultant after he retires. OR if Tim has to be paid a certain amount this year because he opted in, can Manu just sign for less, but for two years even though the Spurs and Manu know he's not playing past this year?

Spur|n|Austin
07-09-2016, 01:05 PM
did @timvp (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8) get john carrolled again.........that poster is taking all the credit in comments

:lol yep timvp def did - checked out the site and here's his newest convenient post

http://i.imgur.com/HvzFwzT.png

Spur|n|Austin
07-09-2016, 01:09 PM
Why do the Spurs still believe Parker and Manu are difference-makers after both were outplayed by elite teams all season

Dude what? Did you watch the same regular season as everyone else did? Spurs won 67 games last season :lol

Spurtacular
07-09-2016, 01:21 PM
Although the OP makes a could case about what Pau can do, it's important to note that we paid double for a guy in his twilight over an up and coming monster just entering his prime. To me, that is a horrendous decision if the Spurs indeed don't match Boban.

Spur|n|Austin
07-09-2016, 01:28 PM
Although the OP makes a could case about what Pau can do, it's important to note that we paid double for a guy in his twilight over an up and coming monster just entering his prime. To me, that is a horrendous decision if the Spurs indeed don't match Boban.

I think your view on Boban is a little skewed..

Keepin' it real
07-09-2016, 01:43 PM

B-b-but Boban looks funny and has big ears, and the fans cheer for him too much, and the game is too fun when he plays.

tmtcsc
07-09-2016, 02:01 PM

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/357/026/2ff.gif

Spurtacular
07-09-2016, 07:21 PM
I think your view on Boban is a little skewed..

21 and 14 per 36 on 60 FG per 36. We don't know what drop-off he'd have as a starter; but we know the man is for f'ing real. Serious mistake by the Spurs.

Ice009
07-09-2016, 07:58 PM
Still don't understand the cap issue? Can't Tim play for anything? I know it's circumventing the cap, but Tim will be employed by the Spurs for life and in whatever capacity he wants. They can pay him as a consultant after he retires. OR if Tim has to be paid a certain amount this year because he opted in, can Manu just sign for less, but for two years even though the Spurs and Manu know he's not playing past this year?

I'm pretty sure Manu said he's not sure about next year and that he would see how he feels after this season. He didn't say this was his last year at all. I don't think you'd want to lock him into a big contract for next season as he might want to play again depending on how this season goes for him and the team.

YGWHI
07-09-2016, 08:29 PM
Dude what? Did you watch the same regular season as everyone else did? Spurs won 67 games last season :lol

I said elite teams, the Spurs didn't play 67 games against those teams last season.

Is it really necessary to post how Parker had a few good games in the first months and then he looked horrible later in the season, like the last three years? Or Manu being outplayed by scrubs like Waiters?

They aren't difference-makers anymore.

exstatic
07-10-2016, 07:41 AM
21 and 14 per 36 on 60 FG per 36. We don't know what drop-off he'd have as a starter; but we know the man is for f'ing real. Serious mistake by the Spurs.

Per 36 stats are useless when measuring someone who plays 9 minutes a game against the scrubbiest of the scrubs most nights.

cutewizard
07-10-2016, 10:41 AM
the fans will miss Boban, thats for sure........

Spurtacular
07-10-2016, 11:55 AM
Per 36 stats are useless when measuring someone who plays 9 minutes a game against the scrubbiest of the scrubs most nights.

We saw similar metrics regardless of when he played, such as when he started.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-13-2016, 09:40 PM
Had to get in on the timvp sighting!

Hope you , Kori and the kids are well. I'll never forget 2003 and 2007. :D

ezau
07-14-2016, 03:28 AM

Good to see you post again and thanks for not selling the site, yet.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-14-2016, 04:04 AM

Theyre not useless they just need to be adjusted much like park factors. No doubt that he dominated what was put in front of him.