PDA

View Full Version : Duncan to not announce retirement today

2centsworth
07-08-2016, 01:49 PM
word on the street

jermaine
07-08-2016, 01:51 PM
word on the street

What street do you live on an what street did you hear that at?

bklynspursfan
07-08-2016, 01:52 PM
From Timvp's post ^

thispego
07-08-2016, 01:56 PM
What street do you live on an what street did you hear that at?

:lmao

Solid D
07-08-2016, 02:00 PM
I saw Tim at HEB this afternoon in the condiments aisle and Timmy said to me: "Excuse me, sir, could I squeeze by here with my basket?"

Nobody shops at HEB in the early afternoons except mostly retirees, so I say Timmy is retiring.

Spurtacular
07-08-2016, 02:03 PM
Don't want to say pink that fool; cos Apo and his 100 sn's are first in line. But man, fuck off, OP.

Duncan2177
07-08-2016, 02:04 PM
Go eat a dick OP.

Budkin
07-08-2016, 02:04 PM
Delete this thread until it's official. My stomach dropped out.

GSH
07-08-2016, 02:08 PM
My sources tell me that West felt disrespected by the comments here on ST, and that's why he chose to go to Golden State. A friend of mine was shopping at HEB, and Tim Duncan told him that. He didn't mention anything about retiring, but he'd already left the condiments aisle.

bic50
:lol

Dex
This is all Kevin Durant's fault.

jermaine
07-08-2016, 02:09 PM

Tech.... we all know its coming an going to happen. Sooooooo

Leetonidas
07-08-2016, 02:09 PM
Nice thread :td

Spur Bank
07-08-2016, 02:12 PM
Strongly agree

SpurPadre
07-08-2016, 02:19 PM
Word on the street? Is it the street where he did this:

http://deadspin.com/5958586/tim-duncan-smoothly-gives-fan-the-finger-in-most-boring-and-fundamentally-sound-athlete-meltdown-ever

Poolboy5623
07-08-2016, 02:29 PM
For those wanting TD to keep playing...why? Last year was too painful to watch imo..

baseline bum
07-08-2016, 02:38 PM
word on the street

Hopefully it's the same street DJ Khaled heard the Heat would win the 2014 Finals on

SpurPadre
07-08-2016, 02:40 PM
For those wanting TD to keep playing...why? Last year was too painful to watch imo..

Because he was still amongst the best defensive big men in the game last year.

Keepin' it real
07-08-2016, 02:42 PM
word on the street

https://spurstalk.vbulletin.net/

Please go there now, take the spurstalk riffraff with you, and don't come back.

Poolboy5623
07-08-2016, 02:58 PM
Because he was still amongst the best defensive big men in the game last year.

"Big men" ....I didn't know there were any left. Lets face it, he can still defend because it doesn't require him leaving his feet. If he has to jump, say your prayers..

Spurs9
07-08-2016, 04:10 PM
Everyone acting like they got sources :lol

bklynspursfan
07-08-2016, 04:21 PM

It was painful after January when he had the knee injury. Before that? Not at all. People know what he can do if that knee can get better

DBMethos
07-08-2016, 04:46 PM
Did Kawhi turn down TD's daughter?

Knoxxx
07-08-2016, 04:49 PM
As it was he was missing "bunny" lay ins after the injury which was the hardest thing to watch. Gasol will at least make those and that makes us that much more formidable. Now if Danny Green can make wide open 3s, we are ringing again!

GSH
07-08-2016, 04:52 PM
TIMVP's post said that Tim was supposed to announce today. But if he didn't announce today, it was a good sign for him staying. It's 5:00, and he hasn't announced. So in reality, was it a stealth post telling us that Tim is coming back, and not to worry?

Can the OP go back to HEB and try to get some clarification?

polandprzem
07-08-2016, 05:01 PM
I saw Tim at HEB this afternoon in the condiments aisle and Timmy said to me: "Excuse me, sir, could I squeeze by here with my basket?"

Nobody shops at HEB in the early afternoons except mostly retirees, so I say Timmy is retiring.

Come on there Solid D!

Poolboy5623
07-08-2016, 05:11 PM
It was painful after January when he had the knee injury. Before that? Not at all. People know what he can do if that knee can get better

At his age, he's going to hit problems (physically) around January....

DeRozan m8
07-08-2016, 05:50 PM
Duncan is done.

He's looked pretty done last season.

Can't see it going on for another season...

TD 21
07-08-2016, 05:53 PM
As it was he was missing "bunny" lay ins after the injury which was the hardest thing to watch. Gasol will at least make those and that makes us that much more formidable. Now if Danny Green can make wide open 3s, we are ringing again!

Duncan fg% by distance: 0-3 feet - .671%, 3-10 feet - .458%

Gasol fg% by distance: 0-3 feet - .566%, 3-10 feet .435%

Leetonidas
07-08-2016, 05:55 PM

how many more shots did pau take though? and are those stats only after the knee injury?

K...
07-08-2016, 06:05 PM
he'll do it at 11:59 pm probably. Or even worse the dude will run to the int date line and do it at 11:59 there. Or even worse he'll just declare time to be an illusion and move to a quantum state of being retired and also dunking on your ass 24/7/365

bklynspursfan
07-08-2016, 06:12 PM
At his age, he's going to hit problems (physically) around January....

Nah. He was fine the year prior. He kept his body in great shape and with his managed minutes was in position to play longer.

callo1
07-08-2016, 06:26 PM
People keep talking about Tim's knee injury, which no doubt played a huge role in the OKC series, but Tim's struggles go well beyond the actual knee injury.

When Tim was out, LAMarcus took over as the featured scoring front court big. When Tim came back, he honestly didn't know where to fit in...he was lost.

I have zero doubt that TD can come back and find a niche as not only a defender, but as a scoring big man for the Spurs. He needs to develop his jumper to do so and he would be fine.

UZER
07-08-2016, 06:44 PM
People keep talking about Tim's knee injury, which no doubt played a huge role in the OKC series, but Tim's struggles go well beyond the actual knee injury. When Tim was out, LAMarcus took over as the featured scoring front court big. When Tim came back, he honestly didn't know where to fit in...he was lost. I have zero doubt that TD can come back and find a niche as not only a defender, but as a scoring big man for the Spurs. He needs to develop his jumper to do so and he would be fine.

This. Duncan and LMA were a forced duo. They never truly clicked all season. The consistently occupied each other's space which is why there was so much iso ball this past season.

ElNono
07-08-2016, 07:21 PM
multiple sauces

Steve-O-Matic
07-08-2016, 07:45 PM
I saw him entering a Golden Corral for dinner at 4:30pm, so he must be retired.

Kawhitstorm
07-08-2016, 08:08 PM

The issue was that Tim shot 44% from 0-3 FT in the playoffs, that's basically WestBrick's overall FG%.:lol

slick'81
07-08-2016, 08:27 PM
Still waiting

Boogie Munster
07-08-2016, 08:27 PM
Per KSAT News, Tim Duncan's decision will be delayed a few more days out of respect for the fallen police officers killed in an ambush in Dallas.

fwiw.....

2centsworth
07-08-2016, 10:58 PM
fwiw.....

was going to post this

Capt Bringdown
07-08-2016, 11:07 PM
multiple sauces

http://cdn.outblush.com/women/images/2011/08/Sauces-Recipe-Book.jpg

SanAntonioSpurs23
07-08-2016, 11:11 PM
TIMVP's post said that Tim was supposed to announce today. But if he didn't announce today, it was a good sign for him staying. It's 5:00, and he hasn't announced. So in reality, was it a stealth post telling us that Tim is coming back, and not to worry?

Can the OP go back to HEB and try to get some clarification?

Disregard

Sec24Row7
07-09-2016, 12:20 AM
http://i.imgur.com/BxvxL.gif

Solid D
07-09-2016, 11:55 AM
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/00393/123812404_Smoke_393904c.jpg

...and black smoke has again emerged above 21 Spurs Chapel where no decision could be announced.

Spur|n|Austin
07-09-2016, 12:44 PM
lol ^

OP what street did you hear that on?

beirmeistr
07-09-2016, 12:55 PM
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/00393/123812404_Smoke_393904c.jpg

...and black smoke has again emerged above 21 Spurs Chapel where no decision could be announced.
hilarious

SpurPadre
07-09-2016, 01:15 PM
He'll probably retire because with Howard playing in the East now, he'll only be able to laugh at him twice a year instead of 3-4 times with an additional Western Conference playoff matchup opportunity to do so. Just not worth it to him, tbh.

Keepin' it real
07-09-2016, 01:54 PM

http://rs263.pbsrc.com/albums/ii152/MorganaLeFaye-2008/AVATARS/BLASPHEMER.jpg~c200

TD 21
07-09-2016, 06:36 PM
how many more shots did pau take though? and are those stats only after the knee injury?

Duncan's % of shots taken from 0-3 feet - .324 and 3-10 feet - .406

Gasol's % of shots taken from 0-3 feet - .245 and 3-10 feet - .192

Both the previous sets and these encompass the entire season's worth.

The issue was that Tim shot 44% from 0-3 FT in the playoffs, that's basically WestBrick's overall FG%.:lol

10 game sample size, 6 of which came against Ibaka/Adams.

The bottom line is, there's no evidence to support the notion that Gasol is a better finisher. What he is, is a better shot creator, at this point.

apalisoc_9
07-09-2016, 06:37 PM

The bottom line is, there's no evidence to support the notion that Gasol is a better finisher. What he is, is a better shot creator, at this point.

Morr space for Kawhi and Aldridge too...

Reminds me of the TD and TP two man game..TP loved that shit :lol

Kawhitstorm
07-09-2016, 06:55 PM

Again, Gasol is a mid-range shooter who posts up smaller opponents which is means he's VERSATILE. :wakeup

Tim missed POINT BLANK shots which he should have made even if Hakeem was playing weakside defense.:lol

He was unplayable against the Duds so if he wasn't useful against a team w/ a traditional lineup then what is the purpose of playing him?:rolleyes (To guard washed up Z-Bo?:lol)

You forgot to mention Pau was playing w/ the likes of Noah/Taj who don't command double teams & are actually ignored by the defense which won't be the case w/ LMA. Pau is similar to Boban when it come to finishing POINT BLANK shot at the rim, he can dunk or tip-in shot while barley jumping.:lol (Pau's issue is finishing through contact similar to Softridge)

h6i47qiCyCE

TD 21
07-09-2016, 07:03 PM
Again, Gasol is a mid-range shooter who posts up smaller opponents which is means he's VERSATILE. :wakeup

Tim missed POINT BLANK shots which he should have made even if Hakeem was playing weakside defense.:lol

He was unplayable against the Duds so if he wasn't useful against a team w/ a traditional lineup then what is the purpose of playing him?:rolleyes (To guard washed up Z-Bo?:lol)

You forgot to mention Pau was playing w/ the likes of Noah/Taj who don't command double teams & are actually ignored by the defense which won't be the case w/ LMA. Pau is similar to Boban when it come to finishing POINT BLANK shot at the rim, he can dunk or tip-in shot while barley jumping.:lol (Pau's issue is finishing through contact similar to Softridge)

I never said anything to the contrary. I simply stated statistical evidence to dispel the notion that Gasol is a better finisher at the rim.

No question, he struggled mightily, but being tall and shooting within' ten feet doesn't mean shit if 1) It takes time to gather after the catch, 2) You struggle to elevate/explode, 3) You're playing against 2 athletic freaks.

Noah missed a lot of the season and Gasol played plenty with Mirotic. The reality is, Gasol's ability to finish at the rim has declined significantly the last 2 seasons.

Kawhitstorm
07-09-2016, 07:18 PM
I never said anything to the contrary. I simply stated statistical evidence to dispel the notion that Gasol is a better finisher at the rim.

There are stats for contested & uncontested shots, that's more relevant than anything in this debate b/c Tim was missing UNCONTESTED shots. Otherwise, DeMarcus Cousins shot 59% for 0-3 ft I guess that means Tim is a better finisher than Cousins.:lol

No question, he struggled mightily, but being tall and shooting within' ten feet doesn't mean shit if 1) It takes time to gather after the catch, 2) You struggle to elevate/explode, 3) You're playing against 2 athletic freaks.

He looked fine to me against PRE-injury Tim when he was being guarded 1-on-1:

POyN74B6XCE

Noah missed a lot of the season and Gasol played plenty with Mirotic. The reality is, Gasol's ability to finish at the rim has declined significantly the last 2 seasons.

Pau was getting doubled after Butler got injured which was why he was racking up assists. Even when Butler was in the lineup most teams would just help off Snell when Pau posted up. (Butler/Rose are also mediocre shooters which doesn't help the spacing)

TD 21
07-09-2016, 07:37 PM
There are stats for contested & uncontested shots, that's more relevant than anything in this debate b/c Tim was missing UNCONTESTED shots. Otherwise, DeMarcus Cousins shot 59% for 0-3 ft I guess that means Tim is a better finisher than Cousins.:lol

He looked fine to me against PRE-injury Tim when he was being guarded 1-on-1:

POyN74B6XCE

Pau was getting doubled after Butler got injured which was why he was racking up assists. Even when Butler was in the lineup most teams would just help off Snell when Pau posted up. (Butler/Rose are also mediocre shooters which doesn't help the spacing)

Yeah, but there's gray area on many of them. Duncan missed a lot of late contests or shots where he was essentially running into traffic and getting smothered. Those are not "layups", just because they're within' the vicinity of the rim.

That was about Duncan and basing anything off of one game, is foolish.

Spin this all you want, the reality is, there's not nearly the difference in finishing at the rim between them as the perception is among Spurs fans. Gasol's clearly a better range shooter and shot creator, at this point, though.

cd021
07-09-2016, 07:46 PM

Gasol is an above average finisher but Duncan is elite, Gasol is a career 65% finisher from 0-3 feet during the regular season while Duncan is at an insane 69.4%:wow.

Pau had a rough season around the rim and has dropped each of the last three seasons from
67.1% to 13-14, 61.3%, to 14-15, and 56.6% in 15-16. I don't think that that will be as much of an issue this season with the Spurs however. I'd expect him to be back up to near in career averages.

MultiTroll
07-09-2016, 08:26 PM
Gasol is an above average finisher but Duncan is elite, Gasol is a career 65% finisher from 0-3 feet during the regular season while Duncan is at an insane 69.4%:wow.

Pau had a rough season around the rim and has dropped each of the last three seasons from
67.1% to 13-14, 61.3%, to 14-15, and 56.6% in 15-16. I don't think that that will be as much of an issue this season with the Spurs however. I'd expect him to be back up to near in career averages.
What are Bobans finishing #s?

Kawhitstorm
07-09-2016, 08:36 PM
Yeah, but there's gray area on many of them. Duncan missed a lot of late contests or shots where he was essentially running into traffic and getting smothered. Those are not "layups", just because they're within' the vicinity of the rim.

Tim's shot became contested at the rim b/c he was SLOW as molasses (ala Perkins::lol) when he was dragging TWO bum knees.

Spin this all you want, the reality is, there's not nearly the difference in finishing at the rim between them as the perception is among Spurs fans. Gasol's clearly a better range shooter and shot creator, at this point, though.

Tim is basically Noah status w/ two crippled knees (Noah shot 44% from 0-3 ft last season while essentially taking similar shots).

cutewizard
07-10-2016, 02:35 AM
THE RETIREMENT OF DUNCAN, from the point of view of the Tarot:

http://learntarot.com/bigjpgs/cups08.jpg
The main themes of this archetype are abandonment and endings. Something has reached the end of its natural cycle and it is time to move away from it. Very often this involves a turning point in a relationship, when you realize that it has run its course and nothing more can be gained from it. Although this can be very difficult or even heart-rending at the time, the Eight of Chalices carries a sense of inevitability. There is a feeling that you have no other options. There is also the promise, even if it remains unspoken, that happier times will follow.
The finality associated with this card can seem uncompromising and bleak. It often describes a relationship or situation that is a spent force. For instance, it may be a bloodless marriage in which both partners no longer have anything in common, so one of the partners finally plucks up the courage to end it and begin again. Outsiders may wonder why, since on the surface the couple got on so well together or appeared to share such a contented life. This might well happen when the couple’s children leave home and they become much more reliant on each other’s company. They then come to the uncomfortable realization that they no longer have anything to offer each other and that their only link is their children. They may even begin to feel like strangers.
It takes courage to be able to walk away from a relationship, especially if this will cause frictions within the family. Yet what other choices are there?
The illustration on this card depicts a peculiar moon, which appears to be full and new at the same time. This indicates that one cycle has to end before another can begin. Full moons are a classic sign of endings, while new moons are traditional indications of fresh beginnings. So there is more hope contained within this card’s message than may at first be apparent. There might also be a sense of relief, even if it seems in bad taste to admit it to yourself. Even though you are coping with the breakdown of the relationship and all that this involves, you may experience a dawning sense of liberation and excitement at what the next stage of your life may bring. You might also be able to salvage a good deal from the relationship, especially if you are able to end it at the right time. Clinging on in desperation long after you should have let go may only lead to bitterness and frustration on both sides.
Sometimes, the Eight of Chalices describes the end of cherished hopes and dreams. You may have to accept that you gave a project your best shot and that it simply did not succeed, so it is time to move on to something else. There is no point in chastising yourself for this because you will have to accept that it is just one of those things. Later on, you may even decide that it was obviously not meant to happen, or you will realize that you are glad your plans had to be abandoned because something much better took their place.

cd021
07-10-2016, 04:31 AM
What are Bobans finishing #s?

73.8 percent and almost half of his shots came from 0-3 feet. Damn shame we couldn't keep him.

2centsworth
07-11-2016, 09:41 AM
GOAT didn't want to announce on Friday cuz of the shootings.

His knee simply didn't respond.