PDA

View Full Version : Found a Dejounte Murray video that highlights some of his passing

sexinthatsx
07-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Sorry if this has been posted already but some of you were concerned about his passing; this video highlights some of his passing, a lot of which are lobs which might integrate well in his game playing along Dewayne Dedmon.

Also, that spin move at 6:54 was NASTY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjCfjP6w2HQ

jermaine
07-09-2016, 11:23 AM
Basically he's Tony Parker when he 1st came to the Spurs. Only with height an better passing!?!

palangi
07-09-2016, 11:28 AM
Some of the shit that comes from people about this kid make me laugh.

ceperez, says he plays below the rim. He's worried about a PG that plays below the rim! The kid that catches alley oops and is dunking.

Then those that that say he can't pass, WTF!

what also makes me laugh is those that want to make him a 6th man SG already. Ha ha!

Spurstalk is getting more stupid by the day.

raybies
07-09-2016, 11:30 AM
Sorry if this has been posted already but some of you were concerned about his passing; this video highlights some of his passing, a lot of which are lobs which might integrate well in his game playing along Dewayne Dedmon.

Hadn't seen this vid. Thanks for posting. He's already doing what he did in College in the summer league against better competition. Want to see him finish against elite size though and see how he plays against the better guards.

gambit1990
07-09-2016, 11:35 AM
already said i'd start him.

idc if he's raw. he's 6'5 with a 6'10 wingspan. can pass better than parker.

we wouldn't even need a lot from him, we don't need him to be elite from the start. just be active defensively and move the ball.

and with parker not starting the ball would be in kawhi's hands more.

cutewizard
07-09-2016, 11:39 AM
Nice, thanks!

alpha_HaZE
07-09-2016, 11:44 AM
Thanks for posting, Dejounte has crazy potential.

cutewizard
07-09-2016, 11:48 AM
What the hell, this kid is something huh......definitely the Spurs point guard of the future! watch out NBA!

Sec24Row7
07-09-2016, 12:09 PM

ceperez, says he plays below the rim. He's worried about a PG that plays below the rim! The kid that catches alley oops and is dunking.

what also makes me laugh is those that want to make him a 6th man SG already. Ha ha!

That wasn't a dunk. That was a catch, cockback and dunk. He's not super bouncy off one foot like the most elite athletes, but he has better spring than kawhi.

ceperez
07-09-2016, 12:22 PM

yep... he pretty much plays below the rim. that's what the scouting reports say and that's what I see.

he uses his length to his advantage, but his shots are coming from below the rim.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dejounte-Murray-7309/

Murray has good size for either guard position, measuring 6'5 in shoes with a 6'9 ½ wingspan. He has a thin frame, currently only listed at 170 pounds, but has fairly wide shoulders that indicate he should be able to fill out and get stronger in time. While not freakishly athletic in a traditional sense...

Lacking a degree of strength and explosiveness as a finisher around the basket, Murray is highly dependent on his floater to bail him out when he can't draw contact and get to the free throw line... Murray really struggles finishing in traffic otherwise, even in the open court, which is one of the reasons he shot just 46% from 2-point range.

Murray's biggest weakness offensively, besides his poor decision making skills, revolves around his very inconsistent jump-shot. ....

Defensively, Murray's long arms and excellent instincts give him some potential to grow into, but he was largely ineffective on this end of the floor as a freshman. He doesn't put much effort into this part of his game at this stage of his career, as he has poor fundamentals and isn't particularly attentive either. His lack of strength made it easy for players to bulldoze their way straight through him, he rarely gives a second effort after getting beat, and often looks very upright just standing straight up off the ball.

BillMc
07-09-2016, 12:25 PM

Nice vid. Thanks. :toast

palangi
07-09-2016, 02:04 PM
yep... he pretty much plays below the rim. that's what the scouting reports say and that's what I see.

he uses his length to his advantage, but his shots are coming from below the rim.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dejounte-Murray-7309/

Murray has good size for either guard position, measuring 6'5 in shoes with a 6'9 ½ wingspan. He has a thin frame, currently only listed at 170 pounds, but has fairly wide shoulders that indicate he should be able to fill out and get stronger in time. While not freakishly athletic in a traditional sense...

Lacking a degree of strength and explosiveness as a finisher around the basket, Murray is highly dependent on his floater to bail him out when he can't draw contact and get to the free throw line... Murray really struggles finishing in traffic otherwise, even in the open court, which is one of the reasons he shot just 46% from 2-point range.

Murray's biggest weakness offensively, besides his poor decision making skills, revolves around his very inconsistent jump-shot. ....

Defensively, Murray's long arms and excellent instincts give him some potential to grow into, but he was largely ineffective on this end of the floor as a freshman. He doesn't put much effort into this part of his game at this stage of his career, as he has poor fundamentals and isn't particularly attentive either. His lack of strength made it easy for players to bulldoze their way straight through him, he rarely gives a second effort after getting beat, and often looks very upright just standing straight up off the ball.
Looks pretty fast and athletic to me. But then again I watch the film and judge rather than just parrot what some else says. But I guess athleticism is just jumping off 1 foot now? Westbrook is a two foot jumper. I guess he isn't athletic and plays below the rim too. I mean I've seen him shoot floaters and lay ups too.

daslicer
07-09-2016, 02:09 PM
Looks pretty fast and athletic to me. But then again I watch the film and judge rather than just parrot what some else says. But I guess athleticism is just jumping off 1 foot now? Westbrook is a two foot jumper. I guess he isn't athletic and plays below the rim too. I mean I've seen him shoot floaters and lay ups too.

Dominique Wilkins and Jason Richardson are also two other guys who were great leapers that used both feet to get off the ground.

Chinook
07-09-2016, 02:09 PM
https://youtu.be/zUW7M6Xmtrg?t=257

Click the link if you want to fast-forward to the passing part, or just move the vid to 4:17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUW7M6Xmtrg

Those first two passes are exceptional. He has good vision. He's just a chucker.

Spur|n|Austin
07-09-2016, 02:16 PM
Better court vision that the scouts had said; I'm excited to watch him play this summer.

ulosturedge
07-09-2016, 02:20 PM

People here also say he's too slow for a PG lmao. Doesn't look slow on the break nor does he look slow when he slashes to the rim.

People read a random scouting report and consider it the Bible.

He has passed the eye test for me from what I saw in his first SL game. For a 19 year old he seems ahead of the game to me. Not crowning him a starter or anything, but he has a future in the NBA from everything i've seen so far.

Solid D
07-09-2016, 02:59 PM
That 7-minute video is just highlights of Murray for only one year. He's got some amazing flair and creativity in space. A couple of his moves were Earl Monroe-esque.

Mr. Body
07-09-2016, 03:01 PM
How many PGs play above the rim in the NBA? Westbrook? And...?

Mr. Body
07-09-2016, 03:02 PM
Basically he's Tony Parker when he 1st came to the Spurs. Only with height an better passing!?!

Parker was quicker, more controlled, and had tighter handles.

MaNu4Tres
07-09-2016, 03:23 PM
https://youtu.be/zUW7M6Xmtrg?t=257

Click the link if you want to fast-forward to the passing part, or just move the vid to 4:17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUW7M6Xmtrg

Those first two passes are exceptional. He has good vision. He's just a chucker.

Here's the thing I love about him and why I'm very very high on him, his weaknesses are only shooting, and decision making with the ball (shoot or pass and when to shoot or pass). For a 19 year old, I don't care how good of a prospect you are -- whether you're LeBron of 03' or Kobe of 96' --- those two things are always below average for a 19 year old. Everything else about his game is a positive and his length and size for the PG position makes his ceiling incredibly high -- a lot higher than the normal talent you see for the 29th pick usually.

I'm very confident his shot and decision making will improve as time goes on, because from everything I've read and seen -- the kid has ELITE work -ethic. Once his body, shooting and decision makes comes along.... watch out!

Spurs may have gotten the steal of the draft at the position they need the most. He has the length and size to make a Kawhi-like impact at the point guard position for years to come on both ends of the floor.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Mills traded by the trade deadline if Murray progresses a lot faster than anyone anticipated. Spurs won't re-sign Mills anyway after this year for 7-9 million ( which should be his market value next year) with Murray making pennies for 3 more years. Better to trade him and get something back in return ( high 2nd or late 1st) than to let him go in FA for nothing.

dabom
07-09-2016, 03:34 PM
Murray dunked with his left hand. :wow

PublicOption
07-09-2016, 03:49 PM
he has a little manu in him.

TheGreatYacht
07-09-2016, 03:55 PM
he has a little manu in him.
He is turnover prone, yes

PublicOption
07-09-2016, 04:02 PM
i think if you put simmons, murray, kwahi, aldridge, and gasol. they would be a hard nut to crack.....even for golden hate.

cd98
07-09-2016, 04:47 PM
Before you cede the starting spot to a 19 year old rookie, wait and see him against NBA starting point guards and NBA starting bigs. You might take back some of those comments. Kid has talent, but he's not there physically or fundamentally and there is no reason to force him into a spot where he fails when we already have a starting caliber PG on our roster who is adequate for the task of running the team. And if you think this kid is better than Parker right now at running point. Then you're a moron. The PG spot is the hardest position to learn in the NBA and Absent a trade, no one on this current roster will take his spot in the starting line up for the next two years.

Poolboy5623
07-09-2016, 05:11 PM
How many PGs play above the rim in the NBA? Westbrook? And...?

To me he looks like a raw, poor mans (maybe homeless, at this pt) Westbrook. ...there I said it.

Joseph Kony
07-09-2016, 05:15 PM
The next Westbrook imo

LongtimeSpursFan
07-09-2016, 05:24 PM
Murray is already a better finisher at the rim than Kawhi. Hope to see Murray in many PnR's this season.

siraulo23
07-09-2016, 05:37 PM
Here's the thing I love about him and why I'm very very high on him, his weaknesses are only shooting, and decision making with the ball (shoot or pass and when to shoot or pass). For a 19 year old, I don't care how good of a prospect you are -- whether you're LeBron of 03' or Kobe of 96' --- those two things are always below average for a 19 year old. Everything else about his game is a positive and his length and size for the PG position makes his ceiling incredibly high -- a lot higher than the normal talent you see for the 29th pick usually.

I'm very confident his shot and decision making will improve as time goes on, because from everything I've read and seen -- the kid has ELITE work -ethic. Once his body, shooting and decision makes comes along.... watch out!

Spurs may have gotten the steal of the draft at the position they need the most. He has the length and size to make a Kawhi-like impact at the point guard position for years to come on both ends of the floor.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Mills traded by the trade deadline if Murray progresses a lot faster than anyone anticipated. Spurs won't re-sign Mills anyway after this year for 7-9 million ( which should be his market value next year) with Murray making pennies for 3 more years. Better to trade him and get something back in return ( high 2nd or late 1st) than to let him go in FA for nothing.

Im not worried about this guy offensively, i think he'll figure it out but it's gonna take a season or two

but defensively, he's got some BAD habits to break. I can already see Pop losing his mind if murray ever gets minutes this season

cd98
07-09-2016, 06:02 PM
Murray is already a better finisher at the rim than Kawhi. Hope to see Murray in many PnR's this season.

Yes you can tell this bc he makes lay ups against college players and guys trying to make the 14th and 15th spot on an NBA roster. Wait and see if he can do that against true NBA players before you conclude, incredulously, that he's a better finisher than the best player on our team and the MVP runner up.

apalisoc_9
07-09-2016, 06:06 PM
Yes you can tell this bc he makes lay ups against college players and guys trying to make the 14th and 15th spot on an NBA roster. Wait and see if he can do that against true NBA players before you conclude, incredulously, that he's a better finisher than the best player on our team and the MVP runner up.

Why are you replaying against a frustrated troll? :lol

bic50
07-09-2016, 06:09 PM
Before you cede the starting spot to a 19 year old rookie, wait and see him against NBA starting point guards and NBA starting bigs. You might take back some of those comments. Kid has talent, but he's not there physically or fundamentally and there is no reason to force him into a spot where he fails when we already have a starting caliber PG on our roster who is adequate for the task of running the team. And if you think this kid is better than Parker right now at running point. Then you're a moron. The PG spot is the hardest position to learn in the NBA and Absent a trade, no one on this current roster will take his spot in the starting line up for the next two years.

Didn't take long for parker to become a starter and spurs drafted him at 19 also. If he's impactful in games, he'll earn more playing time.

cd98
07-09-2016, 06:39 PM
Didn't take long for parker to become a starter and spurs drafted him at 19 also. If he's impactful in games, he'll earn more playing time.

The guy in front of him was 40 years old. Parker is like 33.

BackHome
07-09-2016, 06:51 PM
Parker played pro ball before coming to SA you can't even come close to comparing the two

MaNu4Tres
07-09-2016, 06:54 PM
Im not worried about this guy offensively, i think he'll figure it out but it's gonna take a season or two

but defensively, he's got some BAD habits to break. I can already see Pop losing his mind if murray ever gets minutes this season

Bad habits on D are an easy fix. Most 19 year olds aren't great decision makers on either end of the court -- that comes in time. And with the Spurs, that time almost always is expedited because of elite coach/player development.

Give me a 19 year old PG w/ room to grow mentally with the size and length Murray has over a smart kid out of college who doesn't have the length or size.

Murray has the potential to be scary and he could contribute this year. I wouldn't be shocked if Mills is traded by the deadline if Murrays' elite work ethic expedites his progression.

bic50
07-09-2016, 07:31 PM
Parker played pro ball before coming to SA you can't even come close to comparing the two

I'm not comparing the 2 but I think he can have an impact in games .

cd98
07-09-2016, 07:40 PM
Bad habits on D are an easy fix. Most 19 year olds aren't great decision makers on either end of the court -- that comes in time. And with the Spurs, that time almost always is expedited because of elite coach/player development.

Give me a 19 year old PG w/ room to grow mentally with the size and length Murray has over a smart kid out of college who doesn't have the length or size.

Murray has the potential to be scary and he could contribute this year. I wouldn't be shocked if Mills is traded by the deadline if Murrays' elite work ethic expedites his progression.

This I agree with. Murray's length, combined with Danny and Kawhi could shut down passing lanes a la Jordan, Harper, and Pippen in the late 90s. He'll have to improve on D and he'll have to learn how to run a team, but that's doable on a three year timetable. And I don't even mind if he's a little shoot first. Players that are 6'5 in the NBA generally play shooting guard or even a smaller forward. If he could develop a post game against PG, that could be a game changer for how teams match up. But this is all at least 3 years down the road from today.

Sec24Row7
07-09-2016, 10:30 PM
He needs a Eurostep.

LongtimeSpursFan
10-24-2017, 01:19 AM

Nailed it.

dabom
10-24-2017, 01:31 AM
Nailed it.

Except you didn't. DM wasnt a better finisher at the rim than Kawhi last year. Kawhi was GOAT status until he got cheap shotted by zaza.

MaNu4Tres
03-03-2018, 12:40 AM

This is for dabom.

If only they traded Patty last year before FA.

dabom
03-03-2018, 12:46 AM
20 days after DM got drafted. :lmao

Where's your day one bud? :lmao

And completely wrong about MVPatty per par. :lmao

Consistently wrong faggot. :lmao

dabom
03-03-2018, 12:48 AM
By the deadline to the off-season to the deadline again. :lmao