PDA

View Full Version : Who drives a manual transmission?

DD
07-09-2016, 04:04 PM
So I got handed the keys to one of our AV's earlier today, and when I was doing the vehicle check I saw it was a stick-shift. I stared at it for a moment and thought to myself "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck," it's been at least 15 years since I drove one of these. Took me about 15 minutes to get used to it, and even stalled out a couple times:lol...embarrasing since 'muricans are supposed to be masters of this shit, but I eventually got it down. I've lived in big cities my whole life so I've never had a need for a stick--but for those who drive it--how do ya'll live with this shit during rush hour? Must be a bitch...

HI-FI
07-09-2016, 04:29 PM
I drove stick all thru high school and college, then switched to auto for awhile, now I got a shifty car again.

i definetly prefer manual transmission but it's terrible in rush hour just for the ball chafing alone. I always thought automatics were more of an American thing.

leemajors
07-09-2016, 04:29 PM
My brother and sister both have sticks, it's fun to drive them on occasion. We all started on one. Last two times I bought a car the woman I was with begged me not to get one :/

DD
07-09-2016, 04:37 PM
I drove stick all thru high school and college, then switched to auto for awhile, now I got a shifty car again.

i definetly prefer manual transmission but it's terrible in rush hour just for the ball chafing alone. I always thought automatics were more of an American thing.

Fuckin' A...especially when the A/C quit halfway through the patrol. Gonna need to douse my crotchetal region with Goldbond if I get that car again

apalisoc_9
07-09-2016, 05:41 PM
Never really understood the desire to drive a Manual...I drove one a few years ago and I sold it as soon as had the extra money to buy a newer vehicle.

I suupose it gives you better control in the harsh winters..but it's honestly more annoying than useful.

Ray Combs
07-09-2016, 06:07 PM
They're more fun to drive if you're out on the weekends, but yeah, for a daily driver, manuals are a huge pain in the ass. Then there's the Fast&Furious bro subculture of "if you drive an automatic you're a pussy" which is hilarious because automatic transmissions are so refined now that it can change gears quicker than any human, and also the stick shift crowd clearly has subconscious issues with wanting to control things by gripping a shaft.

IronMaxipad
07-09-2016, 06:36 PM
I drive stick in LA traffic and it's whatever. Traffic sucks regardless if its stick or automatic.

Xevious
07-09-2016, 09:52 PM
Never really understood the desire to drive a Manual.
In days past, you could get them for cheaper and you could get better gas mileage. Not so any more. I used to drive standard transmissions exclusively my first ten years or so of driving. If I was to buy a sports car (probably never will) today, I'd still buy a standard just for the extra control. They're a lot more fun to drive.

benefactor
07-09-2016, 10:56 PM
My Challenger is a manual. I understand if you live in a congested city but if you have a V8 sports car, I don't get having an automatic.

rmt
07-10-2016, 12:16 AM
I drove a manual until kids when I switched to a mini-van. It's fun. Talking about cars - dd went on a trip with 4 other interns to Yosemite. They used a Google car but found out this morning that only people over 20 are allowed to drive. That cancels out 3 of them so she and only one of her friends have to drive all the way. Crazy kids wanted to chance all of them driving - I told her under no circumstances does anyone under 20 drive because of liability issues. Hope everything went okay - she was concerned about driving on the mountains - at least it's in an automatic car.

koriwhat
07-10-2016, 12:19 AM
stickshift since 16.

DMC
07-10-2016, 01:17 AM
Had a Jeep and a 3000GT years ago that were manual. Both fun to drive. I wouldn't own a sports car that wasn't manual and I don't mean paddle shifters (though high end cars get a pass). In HS I had a truck with a column shifter, try that.

Bender
07-10-2016, 08:44 AM
I drive a stick. My first car was a manual, and my latest car is one. My current car will probably be my last one, since I'm a motorcycle guy.

vander
07-10-2016, 09:13 AM
lol 2016 and someone starts a stick v auto thread :lol

but whatever, I have a POS 4 cylinder 150 hp and it's still fun because: stick. whenever I fancy, I bust out of that roundabout in 2nd gear all the way to the red line fuck yeah!

when I have to drive an auto, I become a careless and distracted driver, checking ST on my phone...

TDMVPDPOY
07-10-2016, 09:27 AM
must learn to wank, b4 learning to shift faggot

mrsmaalox
07-10-2016, 09:54 AM
I drive a stick. No ball chafing.

Oh, Gee!!
07-10-2016, 11:19 AM
Stick

DMC
07-10-2016, 03:01 PM
I drive a stick. No ball chafing.
I bet you do.

Aztecfan03
07-10-2016, 04:58 PM
My dad drove a manual, but he died before i could drive so i never really had someone to teach me a whole lot.