PDA

View Full Version : Breakdown of Dejounte Murray's Game Vs the Blazers

raybies
07-11-2016, 03:03 AM
Rewatched the game...

Breakdown of Dejounte Murray's Game Vs the Blazers(For Reference)

1Q First Run About 5 minutes 1/2 FG 1 TO
Missed FG- pull up jumper that was contested
Made FG- floater from the baseline
Turnover- behind the back crossover into a double team

Thoughts- Overall this run was pretty good. He moved the ball well and got the offense rolling. He didn't initiate much and was going with the flow. The only thing I didn't like was the floater from the baseline. It was like it was foreshadowing a lot of his shots to come. Made one and then shot many more.

Start of 2nd Q Second Run about 4:30 minutes 0/1FG 1 TO
Missed FG- pull up mid range jumper that was contested
Turnover- touch pass alley oop

End of 2nd Q Third Run about 3:30 minutes 1/4FG
Missed FG- pull up floater that was contested
Missed FG- step back jumper that was contested
Missed 3FG- half court 3 at the buzzer
Made 3FG- spot up 3 uncontested
No Turnovers

Thoughts- He seemed to get more aggressive in this run. Although his two shots were contested there was still good space to make the shots.

Halftime about 13 minutes 2/7 FG 1/2 3FG 2TO 5PTS

3Q Fourth Run about 5:30 minutes 1/5FG 1TO
Missed FG- layup on a fast break contested
Missed FG- floater that was contested
Missed FG- layup that was uncontested
Missed FG- tap in off a rebound
Made 3FG- spot up 3 that was contested
Turnover- bringing the ball up and gets ripped

Thoughts- He missed a couple bunnies here that he made in the first game. Will be watching to see if there's a trend. The layup that was uncontested seemed a bit rushed. Started to notice that in transition he's a little careless with the ball when he's trying to rush up the court. This has happened a few times over the first few games. Sometimes he tries to go right through people and he loses the ball. He needs to recognize when to slow it down and when to push. This is undoubtedly one of the reasons people say he plays out of control. Also one of the reasons I think he needs to play with more discipline and needs to be educated.

Start of 4th Q Fifth Run about 2 minutes 2 TO
Turnover- bringing the ball up in transition
Turnover- bounce pass to Simmons in transition

Thoughts- It got ugly in these two minutes and he got pulled for a surer thing in Arci. I'm speculating that Becky wanted the offense to slow down a bit and went with a more natural PG. Makes sense since we had the lead and needed to take care of it. Again it was two turnovers in transition.

End of 4th Q Sixth Run about 1:30 minutes 0/1FG
Missed FG- floater in the lane out of a pick and roll
No Turnovers

Second Half about 9 minutes 1/6FG 3TO

Overall Thoughts- So I missed a three somewhere and a turnover; it must of been in the period of the game that didn't show for whatever reason. This is merely a reflection of FGA and turnovers which I think will be key in his early development. Personally, I think it would be good to have him focus on layups and spot up threes while being a facilitator, and mix in some jumpers since he is a diverse scorer. So he had 3 missed mid range jumpers and 3 missed floaters. I think as he progresses in the system he'll develop a much more defined role with his shots, cause his shot selection right now is all over the place. Maybe I'm looking at him with a lens of a role-player instead of a star player, which can score in a variety of ways, because I think he should start from the bottom and earn his way up, much like Leonard who started as a 3 and D player. In time we will see if the floater can become consistent but for now I would like to see him attack the rim for a layup or kick it back out. Right now it seems the floaters are a bailout because he can get the shot off. They were near the free throw line. If he does shoot them I would like them a bit closer, but I wonder if he could just shoot a mid range jumper if that would be more effective, much like Tony. As for the pull up jumpers he had, I didn't have a problem with them. They were good shots, even the step back jumper.

Sorry this may all be crap, but this is what I'm interested in right now.

Em-City
07-11-2016, 04:24 AM
I'm also not a fan of his floaters. They seem to come from different distances and angles and usually off-balance. IMO when developing that shot, he should initially only be looking for it in certain instances, e.g. coming off a curl, or pulling the trigger 6ft away as the result of a straight drive to the rim.

He should also start by practicing the jump-stop floater, which will give him a lot more control, rather than the one-legged efforts he's been demonstrating in SL so far.

Otherwise, it just seems like too random a shot for a youngster of his skill level to hit with any type of consistency and looks like he's chucking.

luckily he can learn from the master:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4rCYRd3Jlw

Obstructed_View
07-11-2016, 05:38 AM
Good breakdown. I agree. He's like an antelope. When everyone starts running, he just runs everywhere with no regard for what's going on. I'm more confident that he'll improve on that than I am that Simmons will by the end of Vegas.

blizz
07-11-2016, 06:00 AM
I mostly agree with your observations. You can tell that he has star potential once he "gets it". Whether or not he will, who knows. I think with him it's going to be a mental thing more than anything else. If he never turns into a passing guy who defers, I'm ok with that as long as he hones his offensive game to where he can come in off the bench and light it up, a la a Jamal Crawford. The talent is undeniable. One more thing, Leonard did not start as a 3 and D player by any means. He was strictly a D player. This last year was the first year he shot the 3 like that. He couldn't shoot to save his life when he came in.

ceperez
07-11-2016, 06:44 AM
I mostly agree with your observations. You can tell that he has star potential once he "gets it". Whether or not he will, who knows. I think with him it's going to be a mental thing more than anything else. If he never turns into a passing guy who defers, I'm ok with that as long as he hones his offensive game to where he can come in off the bench and light it up, a la a Jamal Crawford. The talent is undeniable. One more thing, Leonard did not start as a 3 and D player by any means. He was strictly a D player. This last year was the first year he shot the 3 like that. He couldn't shoot to save his life when he came in.

Seasoning.... that is what he needs. His length is what will give him his advantage. My recommendation, focus on playing defense and catch and shoot from 3. Spurs just need another 3 and D player.

SpursBig3s
07-11-2016, 07:04 AM
I missed the game... Did we win?

cutewizard
07-11-2016, 07:08 AM
Guys, do you know any torrent sites where we can download the 2016 Spurs summer league games?

thanks!

TheDoctor
07-11-2016, 07:34 AM
I'm also not a fan of his floaters. They seem to come from different distances and angles and usually off-balance. IMO when developing that shot, he should initially only be looking for it in certain instances, e.g. coming off a curl, or pulling the trigger 6ft away as the result of a straight drive to the rim.

He should also start by practicing the jump-stop floater, which will give him a lot more control, rather than the one-legged efforts he's been demonstrating in SL so far.

Otherwise, it just seems like too random a shot for a youngster of his skill level to hit with any type of consistency and looks like he's chucking.

You know, I like the randomness of his floater. Very Curryish. They just aren't falling and it is obvious that he's pretty raw and needs lots of practice, repetition and maturity.

Good breakdown. I agree. He's like an antelope. When everyone starts running, he just runs everywhere with no regard for what's going on. I'm more confident that he'll improve on that than I am that Simmons will by the end of Vegas.

:rollin

raybies
07-11-2016, 08:07 AM

Excellent points. I think the jump stop will help a lot too. That's exactly what Tony does and your right I'm sure Tony can give him some pointers. IMO Murray falls in love with the floater, because that's what he knows to do in that situation, but I think there's another look that would be a little more effective at least fundamentally.

look_at_g_shred
07-11-2016, 09:02 AM
The potential is there. He needs time with the coaching staff and a competitive training camp.

palangi
07-11-2016, 09:38 AM
Seasoning.... that is what he needs. His length is what will give him his advantage. My recommendation, focus on playing defense and catch and shoot from 3. Spurs just need another 3 and D player.
We also need a PG

fmedrano1977
07-11-2016, 09:50 AM
Guys, do you know any torrent sites where we can download the 2016 Spurs summer league games?

thanks!

Iptorrents.eu has them in 720p.

cutewizard
07-11-2016, 10:04 AM
Iptorrents.eu has them in 720p.

---------------------------------

needs an account, and i dont have one...

Brian Windhorst
07-11-2016, 11:15 AM
He has a long way to go. I don't see him being useful for the big boys for at least another season. That being said, when he's in the game you immediately notice it. He's got a gear that more polished players who might fare better THIS YEAR (i.e. Cummings, Arciadagaoadono, etc) just don't have and never will. He's displayed that he sees the floor in an advanced way and has the physical tools to give opposing guards nightmares. He's just playing in too much of a hurry right now and making a bunch of careless errors and bad decisions.

The good: He has a unique physical profile, a lightning quick first step, and the length to guard up to three positions if his body fills out. He's a good and willing rebounder for a PG. At 19 he's at the point where he can break down a defense by himself, but not at the point where he can finish or figure out what to do with the ball afterward. Seems like a good kid.

The questionable: His handle is up and down. He can cross up slower players, but he dribbles too high and at times can struggle even getting it up the floor. Floats on defense and switches unnecessarily. He's an extremely ball dominant player so there's a significant risk that he'll never be efficient enough as a scorer to justify putting him out there (The Jimmer Problem). Shot doesn't look broken but all indications are that it is.

The bad: Terrible at running any kind of coherent team offense. His lightning speed on offense doesn't translate to defense at all. Has the length to recover, but is frequently beat off the dribble. Would essentially be a walking turnover against elite D at this point. Errant passes that are either one step ahead or behind the rhythm of the game. Gets pickpocketed at least once per stint. His answer when he doesn't know where to go with the ball seems to be to pick up his dribble and shoot no matter where he is. Questionable intensity.

I think Tyreke Evans is a better comp. than Jamal Crawford. His potential is sky high, but don't expect him to contribute this year.

Solid D
07-11-2016, 12:17 PM
He played out of control too often. That will be corrected, both by his coaches and by the opposition at the pro level.

With that said, the best five on the floor vs. the Blazers were Arcidiacono, Murray, Simmons, Anderson, and Stokes.

Poolboy5623
07-11-2016, 01:29 PM
The potential is there..I mean hes 19. But he has a LONG ways to go, before he'll be playing any valuable reg season mins.

Spurtacular
07-12-2016, 01:47 AM
Bricks and turnovers and the OP is super impressed. :lmao

tholdren
07-12-2016, 11:21 AM
aau... playing as fast as possible to tilt the machine. hs and college coaches for this kid need fired

jermaine
07-12-2016, 11:26 AM
That nicca is super selfish an don't care about a system. Only getting to the rack. He don't often look for anyone open or not. That nicca only care about himself. His 1st yr will be with the D- league Spurs. He has talent, but his mind ain't there. Just a oversized kid.

james evans
07-13-2016, 10:23 AM
Exactly what do yall expect this guy to be a year removed from high school and at the 29th pick?

Keepin' it real
07-13-2016, 10:27 AM
Exactly what do yall expect this guy to be a year removed from high school and at the 29th pick?

Perfection.

daslicer
07-13-2016, 10:36 AM
That nicca is super selfish an don't care about a system. Only getting to the rack. He don't often look for anyone open or not. That nicca only care about himself. His 1st yr will be with the D- league Spurs. He has talent, but his mind ain't there. Just a oversized kid.

Granted I don't think he will ever be as good as Kobe but his mindset and his approach reminds me of Kobe when he was young. This guy has the same type of arrogance Kobe had when he entered the league. He thinks every shot he takes is a good shot and like you said is very selfish.

sasaint
07-13-2016, 11:02 AM

From Dijon I expect a guy who will have value about the time LMA's current deal is set to run out and Kawhi's will be a year off. I believe the guy would have to improve by an insane increment to even be very valuable in the 2017-18 season. The guy is probably the most athletic guy I have seen the Spurs draft. Unfortunately he is just too raw to be of real value very soon.

SnakeBoy
07-13-2016, 12:51 PM
Granted I don't think he will ever be as good as Kobe but his mindset and his approach reminds me of Kobe when he was young. This guy has the same type of arrogance Kobe had when he entered the league. He thinks every shot he takes is a good shot and like you said is very selfish.

So we got Kobe without the talent...great.

ceperez
07-13-2016, 03:51 PM
From Dijon I expect a guy who will have value about the time LMA's current deal is set to run out and Kawhi's will be a year off. I believe the guy would have to improve by an insane increment to even be very valuable in the 2017-18 season. The guy is probably the most athletic guy I have seen the Spurs draft. Unfortunately he is just too raw to be of real value very soon.

6'6" and below athletes that can't shoot are a dime a dozen. Let's just hope now that PATFO knew what they were doing when they drafted him.

picnroll
07-13-2016, 04:01 PM
I'd be more encouraged if Murray could make a layup.

daslicer
07-13-2016, 04:08 PM
So we got Kobe without the talent...great.

I would also add when Kobe first came into the league he was super frail and skinny much like Dejounte is now. Anyways I do think he has the physical tools to become a good player down the line. He has the ability to attack the rim but the problem is he is a terrible finisher. For example before Tony's recent demise he was the best guard in the league at finishing layups around the rim. It was rare Parker would miss when he attacked the basket. Dejounte can get into the paint like Parker but can't finish like Parker. I think this can be corrected and fixed over time. His handles are pretty good and I think they can get even better as time progresses. He has the ability to be a good playmaker when he actually tries to set up other guys.The other problem with this kid is his attitude. He really believes he has already arrived and is a star player. Pop is definitely going to break him but the question remains will he be strong enough to bounce back after getting humbled.

Russ
07-13-2016, 07:45 PM
I'd be more encouraged if Murray could make a layup.

He's a victim of his own success -- he has so many moves that he gets in position to make tough layups most players could never dream of.

He's streaky and in a slump, no doubt. But you can see how he affects all aspects of a game just by being on the court. That's rare.

The most encouraging thing about him is his defensive development in just a few games.

He went from being possibly the worst defender I've ever seen to being pretty darn good. I've never seen anything like that transformation -- and it speaks well of his potential to improve in other phases of the game.

spurtech09
07-13-2016, 08:41 PM
He is a rookie.....Enough said.....

bic50
07-13-2016, 09:59 PM
He is a rookie.....Enough said.....