PDA

View Full Version : The torch has been passed, Kawhi

SpurPadre
07-11-2016, 01:37 PM
I believe in Kawhi and know he has the same strength of character and class that TD had, whom Da Admiral had before him and passed that torch with the same traits. Make the most of it and I'll proudly watch you be the face of the franchise moving forward...just don't snub people's daughters anymore.

BatManu20
07-11-2016, 01:38 PM
"Not on my watch"

http://www.famousbirthdays.com/headshots/tony-parker-4.jpg

HarlemHeat37
07-11-2016, 01:39 PM
In all honesty, the franchise can't really move forward until 1 more piece is gone, tbh:lol maybe 2, actually..

TheGreatYacht
07-11-2016, 01:41 PM
Manu probably stole the torch and turned it over to Miami

LongtimeSpursFan
07-11-2016, 02:13 PM
Kawhi is more DRob than Duncan.

mywastedlife900
07-11-2016, 02:52 PM

Oh I thought he stuck it up your asshole which is why your So butt hurt all the time.

spursistan
07-13-2016, 05:50 PM
if there is ever a time for Kawhi to step up his leadership game it is right now...

I don't expect Kawhi to fully take ownership of the team with Manu/Parker still around, but he should take the biggest chunk of leadership space left by Timmy (with TD/Bonner gone he is 4th most tenured current Spurs.how fast!!)..Gotta assert yourself more vocally with Pop, teammates and referees..an MVP-candidate should look the part..

alpha_HaZE
07-13-2016, 06:05 PM
As per Pop, the torch is up in the air. If you ask Timmy, he is going tell you that this team belongs to KL. And I do think that's the case, what Pop is saying is that with so many vets still in the team; Manu, Tony, LaMarcus, and Pau of course, who is new to the team but an established player on the NBA, it will be a collective effort as it always has been. KL will lead by setting up the tone with his work ethic and also by playing within the spurs system. And, ultimately by having another bada$$ MVP type season.

Hoops Czar
07-13-2016, 06:07 PM
In all honesty, the franchise can't really move forward until 1 more piece is gone, tbh:lol maybe 2, actually..

You should really come up with some new material, tbh. You're current shtick is played out.

sasaint
07-13-2016, 08:19 PM

How's that? DRob was downright gregarious compared to Tim.

cd98
07-13-2016, 08:22 PM
I think it will take Kawhi at least another two years before he can lead a team to the finals.

K...
07-13-2016, 08:24 PM
Would any one be surprised if Pau was a leader? He's been there more often then anyone other than Parker. He doesn't seem outgoing but he's more so then kawhi and I think he'll have the respect of the team from day one.

loveforthegame
07-13-2016, 09:05 PM
I'd love to see Kawhi step into this role. It's his time.

But I won't be surprised if it's a team wide effort being the first season without Timmy. Quite the adjustment for all.

cd98
07-13-2016, 09:26 PM
Hey Insider has a new article on Post Duncan Spurs, if someone wants to post.

sasaint
07-13-2016, 09:55 PM
Would any one be surprised if Pau was a leader? He's been there more often then anyone other than Parker. He doesn't seem outgoing but he's more so then kawhi and I think he'll have the respect of the team from day one.

I think Pau will definitely be a leader. He doesn't have first-hand experience with Spurs Culture, but he is very Spursy. In addition to his impact on the floor, he will go a long way toward filling the leadership void left by Tim's departure. I just don't see Kawhi stepping into much of a leadership role.

skulls138
07-13-2016, 09:56 PM
Would any one be surprised if Pau was a leader? He's been there more often then anyone other than Parker. He doesn't seem outgoing but he's more so then kawhi and I think he'll have the respect of the team from day one.No way. I think Kawhi and Manu are co-leaders

SpurPadre
07-13-2016, 10:09 PM
As per Pop, the torch is up in the air. If you ask Timmy, he is going tell you that this team belongs to KL. And I do think that's the case, what Pop is saying is that with so many vets still in the team; Manu, Tony, LaMarcus, and Pau of course, who is new to the team but an established player on the NBA, it will be a collective effort as it always has been. KL will lead by setting up the tone with his work ethic and also by playing within the spurs system. And, ultimately by having another bada$$ MVP type season.

who are you, Durant?

skulls138
07-13-2016, 10:43 PM
Kawhi will lead by example, not vocally, not yet. If he does itll be slowly done throughout the year if its needed at all. Too many vets. Its going to be a co-leadership. I think through example is the only way he could lead anyways and its effective because hes such a hustler. If other guys arent following suit KL will just glare and theyll feel guilty.

SpurPadre
07-13-2016, 10:46 PM
Kawhi will lead by example, not vocally, not yet. If he does itll be slowly done throughout the year if its needed at all. Too many vets. Its going to be a co-leadership. I think through example is the only way he could lead anyways and its effective because hes such a hustler. If other guys arent following suit KL will just glare and theyll feel guilty.

Well, considering the Dubs raping of the system, God could lead the team and it won't matter this season, anyways. Nevertheless, the stage is set for Kawhi to take the reigns.

skulls138
07-13-2016, 10:55 PM
I dont believe its a foregone conclusion at all. Have GSW added size? Great regular season team but need size in playoffs.

ajh18
07-13-2016, 11:17 PM
This is my biggest concern regarding Kawhi. He has the physical gifts and work ethic to do pretty much anything on the floor. He'll be a superstar level player for sure, on both ends of the court. But I'm not sure if he's comfortable enough with people in general to take the leadership reins, vocally or even by actions.

Tim wasn't that vocal, but as Pop and multiple players have said, he made the little gestures to keep the team rolling. A reassuring few words to KA, or LDN after a bad game. Showing Boban, or Tiago, where to be and how to fit in the system. Cheering on the bench loudly to support his teammates. I'm not sure if Kawhi has that in him, nor am I sure he's able to be a vocal leader like an Avery or David. I hope he can do it because I know the team would follow if he took over as the leader.

SAGirl
07-14-2016, 02:13 AM
What Pop said in Timmy's press announcement:

Other people will have to step up leadership-wise. That'll be a huge thing for us: Who's gonna step up and be that quiet leader that everybody responds to and respects and feeds off of? Not a lot of people can handle that. So we'll see how that goes."
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17024510/nba-popovich-duncan-retirement-transcript?sf30819655=1

I am sure Pop has Kawhi in mind, but he's careful to say, not everyone can handle that. Uncertain times.

cutewizard
07-14-2016, 05:33 AM
Manu will be the mental leader for a while,

he will the the new big three of Kawhi, Lamarcus and Pau.....

until the new big three jells....

cutewizard
07-14-2016, 05:33 AM
ill not be surprised if there would be a trade in the midseason,

AFBlue
07-14-2016, 07:44 AM

:lmao

AFBlue
07-14-2016, 07:49 AM
In all seriousness, I see that potential in Kawhi. He's had a great example of quiet leadership to learn from over the last 4 years. All he has to do is be his hardworking self and others will fall in line. It also helps that he has Pop and the veterans like Tony, Manu and Pau to help set the tone. Looking forward to his growth as a leader.

spursgu
07-14-2016, 08:23 AM
Love Kawhi but like others have said on here, he has to be a leader. He can't be the quiet "yes man" all the time, especially if Pop has one of his brain farts.

Spurtacular
07-14-2016, 02:02 PM
with TD/Bonner gone

Cart before the horse; Bonner is not gone yet.

MR-Clutch
07-14-2016, 02:20 PM
I'm not worried about Kawhi. He did everything humanly possible to keep us in the thunder series, and had no help from anyone else. As much as I have loved Parker in the past he is part of the problem between his pay and his play. He would be more valuable as a 6th man at this point. I agree with Harlem. We're not going anywhere until we have another star next to Kawhi.

LongtimeSpursFan
07-14-2016, 02:36 PM
We haven't won a championship since the torch was passed to Kawhi. The torch hasn't been passed it's been extinguished.

HarlemHeat37
07-14-2016, 07:47 PM
You should really come up with some new material, tbh. You're current shtick is played out.

What shtick? I hope you don't mean "anti-Parker", considering I just spent an entire season defending him and have barely said anything negative about him in like a year:lol

Yuixafun
07-14-2016, 10:53 PM
In all seriousness, I see that potential in Kawhi. He's had a great example of quiet leadership to learn from over the last 4 years. All he has to do is be his hardworking self and others will fall in line. It also helps that he has Pop and the veterans like Tony, Manu and Pau to help set the tone. Looking forward to his growth as a leader.

Well said. And with a new crop of recruits.. they will look up to Kawhi too.

Back to back DPOY, a finals MVP.. holding Curry and Lebron in check a few time in the last couple years.

And such a relentless worker, that seems humble and over himself.

That's a guy you can follow, because he's looking to a level you can't even see yet.

Kool Bob Love
07-14-2016, 11:12 PM
Lottery bound.

EIC
07-14-2016, 11:22 PM

Kawhitstorm
07-14-2016, 11:31 PM

Pop/RC need to go...:wakeup

FlAVaK
07-15-2016, 02:24 PM
http://clutchpoints.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/duncan-anderson.jpg

tholdren
07-15-2016, 07:00 PM
it hasn't - spurs have tried to give it to him. but he won't take control - just like lma - which is why manu is back.

KL and LMA are big time butt-cheek clinchers when it matters.

YGWHI
07-15-2016, 09:18 PM
I think it will take Kawhi at least another two years before he can lead a team to the finals.

He has yet to hit his prime, maybe in two/three seasons.

But also, he has to beat a superteam in the West to reach the Finals. It will be hard and next to impossible for Kawhi to beat them with Spurs' current roster.

SAGirl
07-16-2016, 02:14 AM
He has yet to hit his prime, maybe in two/three seasons.

But also, he has to beat a superteam in the West to reach the Finals. It will be hard and next to impossible for Kawhi to beat them with Spurs' current roster.

That's not what a leader says. The leader raises everyone's confidence to his level, makes everyone play better than they are without him and always believes in his teammates and himself that they can win.

I know Kawhi already sets an example with his play but he, or somebody else, will need to do more. I think Pop had Kawhi in mind when he said that's not for everybody.

Among the young guys, we have to watch the chemistry. I believe mentoring this generation of Spurs is why Manu was so important for and RC specifically mentioned it, but Manu will sit games and it's not on him anymore. I think they are waiting to see how the chemistry and the locker room develops.

YGWHI
07-17-2016, 06:29 PM
That's not what a leader says. The leader raises everyone's confidence to his level, makes everyone play better than they are without him and always believes in his teammates and himself that they can win.

But that's what I say. And trust me, I don't want to be a baller nor the Spurs leader. I don't want to be anything but a realistic fan.

Again. I can't see the Spurs beating the Warriors in playoffs or playing in the Finals with their current roster, or before 2018/19 when Kawhi should start hitting his prime.

Do you think otherwise? Good for you. :tu

SAGirl
07-17-2016, 07:10 PM
But that's what I say. And trust me, I don't want to be a baller or the Spurs leader. I don't want to be anything but a realistic fan.

Again. I can't see the Spurs beating the Warriors in playoffs or playing in the Finals with their current roster, or before 2018/19 when Kawhi should start hitting his prime.

Do you think otherwise? Good for you. :tu
Tim carried a very oddball of a team in 2003. It was long b4 I followed the Spurs, but guys got to believe in themselves and their team. Spurs have defeated some formidable teams in the past, and Kawhi is far from having a craptastic team. I hope he doesn't share your view or any of the Spurs leaders for that matter. Winning is not guaranteed, and is difficult no matter what in any season, but you can't go into it thinking you have no chance as a player. This thread was about leadership and truth be told, we don't know if Kawhi will step up in the leadership department.

SAGirl
07-17-2016, 07:54 PM

YGWHI
07-17-2016, 08:17 PM
Kawhi is far from having a craptastic team.
Neither I would say he has a balanced team.

-Spurs' best guards are 34/39 years old guys playing against elite, younger, faster, guards in the West.

-Spurs' best shooters can't hit an ocean in their season-long slumps.

-The bench have a bunch of rookies/sophomores, who we don't even know if they are NBA players.

-They will play a guy out of position to rebound and defend in the paint. And we saw last year how bad it was.

-The coach who sacrificed depth to sign starts is the same coach who refuses to play those starts more minutes to compesate for the lack of depth.

This thread was about leadership and truth be told, we don't know if Kawhi will step up in the leadership department.
It doesn't matter with the current roster in a transition year like next season.

However, I can see him stepping up in that department when he reaches his full potential in two or three seasons. Because when a guy starts to hitting his prime, he's comfortable with himself as player, the highest level of maturity required to be a positive leader.

Also, I don't like to talk about the private life of players, but he has new important responsibilities in his life. That will help him to become more empathetic, way more in tune with his teammates in the next years.

SAGirl
07-17-2016, 08:42 PM
Neither I would say he has a balanced team.

-Spurs' best guards are 34/39 years old guys playing against elite, younger, faster, guards in the West.

-Spurs' best shooters can't hit an ocean in their season-long slumps.

-The bench have a bunch of rookies/sophomores, who we don't even know if they are NBA players.

-They will play a guy out of position to rebound and defend in the paint. And we saw last year how bad it was.

-The coach who sacrificed depth to sign starts is the same coach who refuses to play those starts more minutes to compesate for the lack of depth.

It doesn't matter with the current roster in a transition year like next season.

However, I can see him stepping up in that department when he reaches his full potential in two or three seasons. Because when a guy starts to hitting his prime, he's comfortable with himself as player, the highest level of maturity required to be a positive leader.

Also, I don't like to talk about the private life of players, but he has new important responsibilities in his life. That will help him to become more empathetic, way more in tune with his teammates in the next years.
You make some good points and in a way its a shame that I think neither you nor I have too much faith in Pop at this point.
On the one hand, will he play the stars the time required and will he use them optimally? I don't know. On the other, is he really committed to developing? Much as old timers say the Spurs are not a developing team, they have no choice at this point. Truth be told I don't think Spurs will have the best chance (as opposed to no chance) as a team until the youngest members of the team step up, which should coincide with Kawhi's best years. Dijon, Kyle and Bertans need to become players and Simmons has to show if he will stick around or not. Maybe it doesn't come together this season as Dijon specially is so young, but unless these guys step up the team is probably going to look like they are one piece away or something, probably at the guard spots. I just look forward to a good season, and specially how the young bench develops. Manu may be on his own farewell tour after all.
:flag:

SAGirl
07-27-2016, 11:46 AM
"Not on my watch"

http://www.famousbirthdays.com/headshots/tony-parker-4.jpg

Right you were BatManu20, not even trolling with this one:
http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Parker-ready-to-take-on-bigger-leadership-role-8425335.php?t=3edf2d3fb6c6ed8151&cmpid=twitter-premium

With Tim Duncan gone and 15 seasons under his belt, Parker is now the senior Spur in terms of longevity with the team and eager to take on an increased leadership role in the absence of the “Big Fundamental.”
“I’m just going to try to be a good leader and welcome all the new guys,” Parker, 34, said Tuesday. “I’m going to try to help them as much as I can and just show them the Spurs culture and what we do here.”
In making his first public comments in San Antonio since Duncan retired this month after 19 seasons, Parker stressed that despite that monumental loss and an influx of young newcomers, the Spurs “are still going to have a great team.”

Considering Kawhi's reserved nature he's probably relieved. He will have to step up at some point though.

ernest787
07-27-2016, 11:57 AM
No one knows who the leader of teams are except the guys in the locker room. Ideally, i think coaches would love the best player to be the leader, but that's not always how it works.

I'm not worried about leadership on this team. Tony and Manu are still around. Pau and LMA are both veterans. Kawhi and Green have been raised in the Spurs culture. Pop is still there.

The time to wonder about leadership will be when Tony/Manu/Pop are gone.

For now the biggest transition will be just getting used to not having Timmy there, not so much from a leadership perspective, but just for the fact that he's been there 19 years.

Mikeanaro
07-27-2016, 01:12 PM
Spurs should leave an unoccupied chair representing Tim at every game, if someone plans to sit there everybody must yell ¨THATS TIMMY´S CHAIR¨
Thats leadership.