PDA

View Full Version : Since Timmy opted in, what will happen to his salary?

playbonner15
07-11-2016, 02:54 PM
Now that hes retired, will the FO use it to pursue some European?

or will it be used to resign Bonner :lol

Darkwaters
07-11-2016, 02:57 PM
They probably will use it to sign a 3 point shooting ginger.

Davis Bertans

fundamental9903
07-11-2016, 03:01 PM
Now that hes retired, will the FO use it to pursue some European?

or will it be used to resign Bonner :lol

His $5.6 million becomes guaranteed but it gets paid over 3 years.

DPG21920
07-11-2016, 03:08 PM
His $5.6 million becomes guaranteed but it gets paid over 3 years.

This is correct if he takes all of his money. Even likely. But it's not known currently how much if any money he is actually getting. Only the money he gets is counted.

Kikoluna
07-11-2016, 03:09 PM
Wow. So timmy took 5.6 million and then retired the next day?

Spur|n|Austin
07-11-2016, 03:11 PM

Are you saying he doesn't deserve his money?

playbonner15
Thanks! That clears some of the questions. I guess this gives the team some wiggle room to spend a little

TXstbobcat

timmy gets a nice retirement gift. He earned every cent of it over the past 19 years

ducks
07-11-2016, 03:12 PM

no he wanted to play but his one knee did not respond after rest
so he thought better retire and spurs can get someone else

Kikoluna
07-11-2016, 03:17 PM
Not that he doesn't deserve it but I'm sure he knew he was done before he signed for 5.6m
He's going to get 5.6 in a 3 year period without playing. And he knew it was going to be a no go. Just a little out of character.

GSH
07-11-2016, 03:22 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think they could just hand him money in any form, and say it wasn't for the purpose of compensating him for the last year of his contract. The league has always been pretty strict about back-door deals - at least when they wanted to be.

I read some comments that Tim was interested in being part of ownership. (I would LOVE to see it, BTW.) The might be able to arrange terms that would make good on the value, and still not violate the league's rules. Since they are under no obligation to pay for this season, that doesn't violate any league rules. It would just compensate him in a way that doesn't count against the cap.

I don't know for sure how the league would view it, but to me it would be a win/win.

Not that he doesn't deserve it but I'm sure he knew he was done before he signed for 5.6m
He's going to get 5.6 in a 3 year period without playing. And he knew it was going to be a no go. Just a little out of character.

Please stop. If you knew (apparently you don't) how much money Tim gave up to make room for other players on this team. Hell, the fact that he stayed in small-market SA. There was a report that Tim was really trying to see if he could come back, and the team told him to take his time. No reason to doubt their word. But even if that's not true, for the team to compensate Tim here at the end is anything but out of character.

TXstbobcat
07-11-2016, 03:22 PM

Have you ever given your employer two weeks notice and they let you go on the spot but paid you for two weeks for not working?

DPG21920
07-11-2016, 03:23 PM

Not at all. Instead of him taking the 10M he deserved last year, he set up his contract this way so SA could get LMA. He played last year while letting get LMA for this money.

The only difference is if he would have taken the 10M up front, vs this way, no LMA.

DPG21920
07-11-2016, 03:25 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think they could just hand him money in any form, and say it wasn't for the purpose of compensating him for the last year of his contract. The league has always been pretty strict about back-door deals - at least when they wanted to be.

I read some comments that Tim was interested in being part of ownership. (I would LOVE to see it, BTW.) The might be able to arrange terms that would make good on the value, and still not violate the league's rules. Since they are under no obligation to pay for this season, that doesn't violate any league rules. It would just compensate him in a way that doesn't count against the cap.

I don't know for sure how the league would view it, but to me it would be a win-win.

You are correct. Like I've been saying, it's dicey and perhaps Tim and/or SA (or both) felt they didn't want to mess around and the only "legal" way to pay Tim was him opting in.

I don't think the league could ultimately do anything, but we will see.

noles1983
07-11-2016, 03:38 PM
as long as we don't resign bonner I'm happy

Twisted_Dawg
07-11-2016, 03:44 PM
I hope they let him be a part time coach to help develop Dedmon and Milutinov, and also help mentor the younger players.

exstatic
07-11-2016, 03:47 PM

I don't know for sure how the league would view it, but to me it would be a win/win.

Please stop. If you knew (apparently you don't) how much money Tim gave up to make room for other players on this team. Hell, the fact that he stayed in small-market SA. There was a report that Tim was really trying to see if he could come back, and the team told him to take his time. No reason to doubt their word. But even if that's not true, for the team to compensate Tim here at the end is anything but out of character.

The salary is guaranteed. They not only can pay him, they have to pay him. He will be waived to open a roster spot, and then his contract will be "stretched" over three years to minimize cap impact.

baseline bum
07-11-2016, 03:50 PM

Or you can look at it as a loophole to pay him the $10.6 million we was worth last season (when he made $5 million) to enable the Aldridge signing. So he got paid over four years instead of one to ensure the Spurs would still have a strong team after he left.

Seventyniner
07-11-2016, 04:10 PM
no he wanted to play but his one knee did not respond after rest
so he thought better retire and spurs can get someone else

My guess is that this is correct. Tim wanted to come back and even planned to after his opt-in date, and then was forced to realize that his knees just won't let him play anymore.

DPG21920
07-11-2016, 04:10 PM
The salary is guaranteed. They not only can pay him, they have to pay him. He will be waived to open a roster spot, and then his contract will be "stretched" over three years to minimize cap impact.

This is not true. With him retiring they don't have to pay him.

r0drig0lac
07-11-2016, 06:02 PM

what this guy said

Darius Bieber
07-11-2016, 06:05 PM
They will do what's called "stretching" the contract. He will be paid over three years since he's retired. This opens up Cap Space for this season (enough to keep Pau at 30M/2yrs).

dbestpro
07-11-2016, 09:42 PM
I always felt he would retire, and I still feel he will make one more grand return after the all star break.

dabom
07-11-2016, 09:45 PM
Who the fuck is gonna tell Timmy he can't get his money? Huh? tell me people.

Spurs 4 The Win
07-11-2016, 10:29 PM
Who the fuck is gonna tell Timmy he can't get his money? Huh? tell me people.

skulls138
07-11-2016, 10:40 PM
timmy gets a nice retirement gift. He earned every cent of it over the past 19 yearsImagine the money made because of him vs if he went somewhere else.

Solid D
07-12-2016, 01:01 AM

Perhaps Davis Bertans is the new 6'-10" ginger.

Mikeanaro
07-12-2016, 01:03 AM

aal04
07-12-2016, 01:10 AM
Imo, they spend the 5.6 million salary and erect a 100 foot statue of Tim out the Front of the AT&T

Spurtacular
07-12-2016, 03:12 AM

Spurs and Tim had undoubtedly discussed these contingencies when Tim was agreeing to play for way below market value. I'm sure what he's doing is considered above board by all parties.

Ice009
07-12-2016, 05:13 AM

You better not be saying what I think you're saying. Tim Duncan should have been paid 200 million each 5 (or so) year contract he signed during his prime. He was underpaid his whole career. What the max is now, I easily would have paid Tim that per year during his prime. Actually, on second thoughts, I probably would have paid him more during his prime than even the current max or next year's max. I better not hear anyone else mention money again when it comes to Tim Duncan.

spurs10
07-12-2016, 06:11 AM
Wine and fine dining will surely account for some of it....:toast