PDA

View Full Version : Stein: Sources say San Antonio had to officially waive Duncan for cap reasons

NASpurs
07-12-2016, 11:38 AM

ninjaskrzypek
07-12-2016, 11:39 AM
I'm confused on what that means.

Leetonidas
07-12-2016, 11:42 AM
So they paid him his full salary and he isnt stretched over 3 years now?

vander
07-12-2016, 11:42 AM
That just ain't right

Chinook
07-12-2016, 11:44 AM
So they paid him his full salary and he isnt stretched over 3 years now?

Nah, because that wouldn't affect the cap. They almost certainly stretched him if he's getting anything. Remember, though, that contracts are automatically stretched in terms of real money. It's only the cap hits that get changed.

Jdspur20
Hmmm, so his whole 6.5 mil will count against the cap?

Dex
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they had to formally waive his contract in order to use the stretch provision, which allows them to pay out his contract over the next three years.

Doing so should allow the Spurs the cap space they need to sign Gasol.

Marc Stein makes it sound like the Spurs were forcing Timmy out, but I'm sure that is not he case. Everybody knows Tim Duncan IS the Spurs...if he wanted to stay, they would've found a way to make it happen, even if it meant giving up on Gasol or moving another piece like Mills.

I think on the surface, though..."Spurs waive Duncan" does have a certain amount of shock value, even if it is all just cap gymnastics.

spurs10
07-12-2016, 11:53 AM
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they had to formally waive his contract in order to use the stretch provision, which allows them to pay out his contract over the next three years.

Doing so should allow the Spurs the cap space they need to sign Gasol.

Marc Stein makes it sound like the Spurs were forcing Timmy out, but I'm sure that is not he case. Everybody knows Tim Duncan IS the Spurs...if he wanted to stay, they would've found a way to make it happen, even if it meant giving up on Gasol or moving another piece like Mills.

I think on the surface, though..."Spurs waive Duncan" does have a certain amount of shock value, even if it is all just cap gymnastics. This is how I understand it. They put out an article in the SA paper about this several days ago foreshadowing what is happening. Told people 'don't be alarmed' which many found alarming!

BillMc
07-12-2016, 11:55 AM
Nah, because that wouldn't affect the cap. They almost certainly stretched him if he's getting anything. Remember, though, that contracts are automatically stretched in terms of real money. It's only the cap hits that get changed.

So, if he's stretched automatically when waived, (if I understand you right), what is the advantage of waiving him?

EDIT: Just saw Dex's post. No need to reply. Thanks.

Ron Swanson
07-12-2016, 11:58 AM
Vet minimum contract with the Dubs after the All Star Break.

ST implodes.

tbdog
07-12-2016, 12:06 PM
So, if he's stretched automatically when waived, (if I understand you right), what is the advantage of waiving him?

When you waive someone, you stretch their contract out. The player still gets the contract, but the cap hold of the player is lowered. For example, Pistons waived Josh Smith, who had 2 years and 27mil owing. So instead of the Pistons having 13.5mil on the cap taken up per year for 2 years, they stretch it so they have 5.4mil until 2020.

cutewizard
07-12-2016, 12:09 PM
When you waive someone, you stretch their contract out. The player still gets the contract, but the cap hold of the player is lowered. For example, Pistons waived Josh Smith, who had 2 years and 27mil owing. So instead of the Pistons having 13.5mil on the cap taken up per year for 2 years, they stretch it so they have 5.4mil until 2020.

omg

BillMc
07-12-2016, 12:12 PM

Cheers.:bobo Many thanks for the clarification.

cutewizard
07-12-2016, 12:13 PM
So, now we can sign Gasol>??

And, more importantly, can we sign someone else???

Old School 44
07-12-2016, 12:16 PM

ST implodes.

As much as I'd like Tim to comeback mid season with the Spurs (not Dubs), if I'm not mistaken, you can't unretire in the same season.

Ron Swanson
07-12-2016, 12:18 PM
As much as I'd like Tim to comeback mid season with the Spurs (not Dubs), if I'm not mistaken, you can't unretire in the same season.

I know. It was just a joke.

FromWayDowntown
07-12-2016, 12:19 PM
For whatever it's worth, this wasn't just some report. The league's transactions page for yesterday shows:

"San Antonio Spurs waived forward Tim Duncan"

http://stats.nba.com/transactions/

Basketball-Reference handled it a bit more, um, reverentially. His career transactions (in its totality) on B-R is a beautiful thing:

June 25, 1997: Drafted by the San Antonio Spurs in the 1st round (1st pick) of the 1997 NBA Draft.

July 9, 2015: Signed a multi-year contract with the San Antonio Spurs

July 11, 2016: Announced retirement.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/duncati01.html

tbdog
07-12-2016, 12:21 PM
So, now we can sign Gasol>??

And, more importantly, can we sign someone else???

1. Yes.
2. Only min contracts. We are right on the edge, and we are still unsure what Manu is getting. The Spurs will probably go over cap to sign manu and we will have to stay under next season to avoid consecutive year tax penalty. With our starting 5 plus Anderson all tired up, we would have about 25 to 30 mil to play around with, which is enough to get someone like Westbrook or two of say Gibson/Teague/Tyreke Evans/Reddick type of players. Again depends on Manu and his deal, he might want a guaranteed 2 years .

cutewizard
07-12-2016, 12:26 PM
1. Yes.
2. Only min contracts. We are right on the edge, and we are still unsure what Manu is getting. The Spurs will probably go over cap to sign manu and we will have to stay under next season to avoid consecutive year tax penalty. With our starting 5 plus Anderson all tired up, we would have about 25 to 30 mil to play around with, which is enough to get someone like Westbrook or two of say Gibson/Teague/Tyreke Evans/Reddick type of players. Again depends on Manu and his deal, he might want a guaranteed 2 years .

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks man!

So, with whatever budget we have left, whom do you foresee can we afford?

Thomas Robinson perhaps? Another wing perhaps?

FvckMavs
07-12-2016, 12:26 PM
1. Yes.

Don't think Spurs will give Manu two years guaranteed.

tbdog
07-12-2016, 12:36 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks man!

So, with whatever budget we have left, whom do you foresee can we afford?

Thomas Robinson perhaps? Another wing perhaps?

Well there are still teams with plenty of space left, and there is cap floor, which means that if they don't reach the cap floor, they have equally pay the gap to all players in the team, so you will find anyone else with talent that won't hurt their youth movement might get some decent 1 year deals. So teams like Nets, Sixers, and Suns have a big chunk to hand out. However, luckily for us, at least Sixers and Suns are set at the bigs position, so players like Thomas Robinson could be had. But I am sure there is a team available out there they will give a player like T Rob a better contract than the min. I recommend Q Acy.

tbdog
07-12-2016, 12:37 PM
Don't think Spurs will give Manu two years guaranteed.

Spurs won't exactly say no, but I see them giving him a bigger one year deal than match it over 2 years to avoid having anything extra on the books when retirement is likely after next season.

montgod
07-12-2016, 12:40 PM

I know this was a joke, but actually, I believe you can unretire as long as you go to the same team you left. The one instance I remember was when Jason Williams retired and then tried to unretire and go to a different team. It was rejected and he had to wait till the next year to go to a different team.

GSH
07-12-2016, 12:47 PM
So they just "revealed" what people on ST have been saying for a month. He retired, but they had to officially waive him. BFD. Every person who reads this forum should have known this was just a formality that had to happen, after Tim officially decided he wasn't coming back.

It's just not a big deal. Tim saying he wasn't going to play anymore was the big deal. This is just about the accounting.

Chinook
07-12-2016, 12:50 PM

Yeah. I'm just saying that there's no option to not stretch Tim because he wants all his money this year. He will get it over three years no matter what the Spurs do. So the cap is the only consideration.

We can still keep our fingers crossed that someone claims him to get under the floor.

Dex
07-12-2016, 03:00 PM
Yeah. I'm just saying that there's no option to not stretch Tim because he wants all his money this year. He will get it over three years no matter what the Spurs do. So the cap is the only consideration.

We can still keep our fingers crossed that someone claims him to get under the floor.

How would it benefit another team to claim a retired player?

Obstructed_View
07-12-2016, 03:06 PM

I never quite figured out how Junior Seau had this big tearful goodbye in San Diego and was in New England four days later.

Obstructed_View
07-12-2016, 03:07 PM
How would it benefit another team to claim a retired player?

It wouldn't, but the Spurs wouldn't be on the hook for his salary.

Kawhitstorm
07-12-2016, 03:16 PM

Colangelo will finally get his hands on Tim.:lol

Seventyniner
07-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Colangelo will finally get his hands on Tim.:lol

Or Cuban gets to say "I finally got you on my payroll, Tim."

poeticism707
07-12-2016, 03:47 PM

ST implodes.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Duncanforthree
07-12-2016, 05:35 PM
Could Cuban claim him and then offer him like $50 million to not retire?

Because I could see Cuban doing something like that. :)

cutewizard
07-13-2016, 07:34 AM
Could Cuban claim him and then offer him like $50 million to not retire?

Because I could see Cuban doing something like that. :)

lol

hsxvvd
07-13-2016, 07:54 AM
If waived technically a team like Philly could pick him up... even though they know he is retiring.

Makes no sense... but technically...

Would you be pissed if it happened?

Clears his salary? Still only ever PLAYS for one team.

Mal
07-13-2016, 07:59 AM
If waived technically a team like Philly could pick him up... even though they know he is retiring.

This shouldn`t be an issue tbh, but it`s better to pay more for current players on roster, rather than paying Tim Duncan.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-13-2016, 08:12 AM

Unlikely that they'd do it, but it's not like they haven't paid players not to play for them in recent years.

Also gets them closer to the salary floor without costing a roster spot.

james evans
07-15-2016, 07:08 AM
can we waive parker too? or just trade him for Westbrooke, but I know that's not gonna happen. Spurs too loyal. They'd rather have 6 straight years of losing seasons than trade a guy like him