PDA

View Full Version : Zach Lowe: Spurs losers in Free Agency

coachmac87
07-12-2016, 12:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16992129/rating-won-lost-nba-free-agency-period

Lowe: San Antonio countering the Durant event by signing a loping, ground-bound Pau Gasol might end up the perfect final symbol for the transition of power in the Western Conference. Remember: Golden State never feared the Spurs. Even after losing in San Antonio in March, Golden State's players chatted in the locker room about how the Spurs posed no threat to them in a seven-game series, according to several team sources.

San Antonio has never been able to score against these Warriors, and Gasol's silky but slow post game just doesn't feel like a potent enough answer. Tony Parker is 34, and the Spurs couldn't find another off-the-bounce threat to ease his burden.

The Spurs set the template for defending Golden State, but they might not be able to hold off the deluge without the thinking man's excellence of Timothy Theodore Duncan.

The Spurs probably know they can't beat the Warriors without some injury luck. They tried to get Durant, after all. A nucleus of Kawhi Leonard, LaMarcus Aldridge and Danny Green is a ridiculous starting point, but it feels like San Antonio needs a placeholder season to figure out what to do next. At least the Thunder are gone.

He also said on NBA Lockdown Podcast that Spurs struggled defensively without Duncan last year and expects the same with Gasol. IMO he's totally missing the point that Duncan was replaced by West/Diaw who aren't long or good rebounding. Spurs have Dedmon and Pau both are 7ft and good rebounders. No way in hell IMO did the Spurs "lose" when they replaced a starting center with an all star center tbh....they just didn't get KD

Robz4000
07-12-2016, 12:35 PM
He's right tbh. The Spurs lost Tim. That automatically makes them the biggest losers of the offseason.

Nathan89
07-12-2016, 12:41 PM
Until this team has more "off-the-bounce" threats they have zero chance. That's why we need a star pg next free-agency.

NameLess Scrub
07-12-2016, 12:41 PM
He's right tbh. The Spurs lost Tim. That automatically makes them the biggest losers of the offseason.

:cry

GSH
07-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Durant was THE free agent this season. Everyone who didn't get him "lost".

Maybe they should just cancel the season.

RD2191
07-12-2016, 12:47 PM
Spurs are still the 2nd/3rd best team in the league. Anything can happen in the playoffs.

tbdog
07-12-2016, 12:48 PM
We didn't get better, which makes us losers. But we are not the biggest losers. That goes to Thunder. Clippers did next to nothing. Grizzlies will be better with a healthy team but their ceiling is just not high enough. Parsons isn't going to put them over the top. Rockets, who knows. They have no defense, literally none. Jazz, Nuggets and Twolves will improve, but not enough to best us. Pelicans signed Solomon Hill ffs. Mavs got the left overs. Lakers, Suns, Kings are still trash. Portland could make a jump.

It really comes down that the best in the west got better, second best got worse, and third and fourth best went sideways.

TheGoldStandard
07-12-2016, 12:49 PM
People writing obituaries before the season started.. Great individuals can shape the game but great teams can transcend individual greatness. Spurs kept the majority of their pieces together while getting younger and bringing in Gasol who will fit well in his role. They will ultimately need to work together and figure out how it will play out depending on how Pop will play them. That said, GSW needs to do the same thing, they lost a lot of pieces and they will need to learn how to play together.. Just having great shooters on the floor doesn't make them all that special. GSW will regress some as they learn to share the ball etc..

Spurs will have a great opportunity to beat them if they're able to play the way they want to and are not coaxed into playing another teams game. It usually takes Pop a few seasons to get that whenever there is a changing of the style of effective play in the NBA, hopefully this season or next is the case for the Spurs.

TheGreatYacht
07-12-2016, 12:53 PM
The Warriors players didn't fear the Spurs... Who gives a shit?

Im sure they didn't fear Cleveland when they blew them out by 40 in the regular season. Still got smacked the fuck up when it mattered.

coachmac87
07-12-2016, 12:53 PM
I just don't see how getting Gasol is a loss? Lol

They're still the 2nd best team in the West..I respect Lowe I just think he's too caught up with matching up with with Warriors mindset.

Like how are the Spurs a "loser" but the Heat aren't? How they replace Wade?

houston spurs fan
07-12-2016, 12:57 PM
Spurs do the best job in the league in player development. If Kawhi takes another step forward and gets better, LMA second year in the system feels more comfortable, guys like Anderson and Simmons get better, who knows. GSW created a super team, all the pressure is on them anyways....Curry and KD could get hurt, you never know

DenialTwist
07-12-2016, 12:58 PM
Lowe sounding like Amin now. They don't think the Spurs have a shot in hell at beating the warriors. Well, guess what the rest of the NBA has no chance either.

Obstructed_View
07-12-2016, 12:59 PM
The Spurs are an offseason loser because they lost a top three all-time player, but getting a guy who went for 16 points, 11 boards, 4 assists and 2 blocks last year to take his spot, the second biggest free agent, and the guy they wanted all along is a pretty decent consolation prize.

Also, that story about the Warriors not fearing the Spurs needs to die. That game taught the entire league how to beat the Dubs, and they never bothered to even look at the tape.

midnightpulp
07-12-2016, 12:59 PM
I would say we're winners considering we got the best replacement possible for Timmy.

As for adding a dribble-drive threat, there wasn't any worthwhile FAs at the right price.

Obstructed_View
07-12-2016, 01:00 PM
By the way, guys, this is how articles are going to read for the next year or so. Writers know they can get a lot of clicks from new Warriors fans while the bandwagon is growing. They probably don't actually believe any of the shit they're writing.

T Park
07-12-2016, 01:01 PM
The Spurs are an offseason loser because they lost a top three all-time player, but getting a guy who went for 16 points, 11 boards, 4 assists and 2 blocks last year to take his spot, the second biggest free agent, and the guy they wanted all along is a pretty decent consolation prize.

Also, that story about the Warriors not fearing the Spurs needs to die. That game taught the entire league how to beat the Dubs, and they never bothered to even look at the tape.

That's exactly right. Teams took the defensive template from that game, used it, and solved the Warriors. Oklahoma damn near beat em with it, hell a rebuilding Portland used it to win two damn games.cleveland finally fixed their rotations and used it to beat them three damn games in a row

DAF86
07-12-2016, 01:02 PM
This team won't go anywhere untill get get another all-star level perimeter player. We just don't have enough firepower.

Obstructed_View
07-12-2016, 01:03 PM
Durant was THE free agent this season. Everyone who didn't get him "lost".

Maybe they should just cancel the season.

What's funny is how many teams have absolutely hamstrung themselves by throwing good money after bad free agents. The Spurs went after the one guy who was worth a max deal, and then got Pau Gasol at about ten million dollars less than his market value. So they have two, maybe three all-stars in their starting lineup and they still have money to have a shot at a Russel Westbrook next summer.

Sounds like a winning plan to me.

T Park
07-12-2016, 01:04 PM
I would say we're winners considering we got the best replacement possible for Timmy.

As for adding a dribble-drive threat, there wasn't any worthwhile FAs at the right price.

I don't get the either, the Spurs have Leonard, Aldridge when he wants to be, Murray if he's allowed to make mistakes ALA 2001 Parker. Simmon's best skill is dribble drive.

Hell Bertans can do it to an extent but wtf?

T Park
07-12-2016, 01:05 PM
What's funny is how many teams have absolutely hamstrung themselves by throwing good money after bad free agents. The Spurs went after the one guy who was worth a max deal, and then got Pau Gasol at about ten million dollars less than his market value. So they have two, maybe three all-stars in their starting lineup and they still have money to have a shot at a Russel Westbrook next summer.

Westbrook, Chrid Paul.... Plus young guys can develop like Murray, Bertans, Anderson.

Strategic
They probably quit fearing the thunder only after Durant whispered sweet nothings in their ears after game 5 of WCF's.

Chinook
The Spurs won the off-season simply by avoiding giving out any of those Bazemore/Crabbe/Mozgov contracts. Gasol's contract would have been fine under the old cap. I think when 2017 and especially 2018 rolls around, there are going to be a lot of teams that are locked into long-term horrible contracts while the Spurs will have a ton of cap space and a couple of decent players (along with their best player) 27 and under.

coachmac87
07-12-2016, 01:07 PM

This.

The Warriors have to play somebody in the WCF and I'd think the Spurs would be the favorites for 2nd in West.

703 Spurz
07-12-2016, 01:10 PM
Hence why Durant going to Golden State is the biggest bitch move ever. A generational talent like him joining a historic team. No NBA team can make any moves to counter him going there.

Keepin' it real
07-12-2016, 01:12 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b5/1b/5e/b51b5e9df9f12409886dfc8ef9ce4516.jpg

rastaspur

Im sure they didn't fear Cleveland when they blew them out by 40 in the regular season. Still got smacked the fuck up when it mattered.

baseline bum
I agree with Lowe, the Spurs went from a 67 win team to one who will probably win about 55 games or so. Gasol is no Duncan and the Spurs bigman depth chart is razor thin now. If one of Gasol or Aldridge gets hurt for any length of time how are the Spurs responding to that? And they didn't upgrade Parker. Just the thought of Gasol's man screening for Curry while Parker is on him is hilarious. The Spurs went from a title contender to probably a distant 3 seed (thanks to OKC getting destroyed). I mean Gasol was the best option for sure, there was little chance of keeping the team as good as it was in 2015-16 considering how many players were on absolute bargain basement deals and eligible to test free agency in a summer where everyone had money. But this team isn't a title contender. They're not going to get much scoring out of the backcourt and they have no frontcourt depth. They'll be a good team but a second round exit to the Clippers or Warriors is probably what we're looking at next year.

sasaint
07-12-2016, 01:13 PM

Agree with your assessment for the most part. But next off-season Russ is headed to LA or possibly New York or even Miami before he would even consider SA. He is a wannabe fashionista who was born in SoCal and attended UCLA. With his non-basketball aspirations and style it is even less conceivable that Westchuck would come to he Spurs than it was that Durant would.

DAF86
07-12-2016, 01:15 PM

Nah. It may have shown some defensive strategies but not much more than that. The slow tempo approach the Spurs used against GS isn't the answer, you have to run right back at them. Being smart, not turnig the ball over but never slowing down. The whole "playing defense with the ball" strategy just isn't going to cut it. I thought that was the key to beating them, but after seeing how things played out last season I stand corrected.

Obstructed_View
07-12-2016, 01:15 PM
Agree with your assessment for the most part. But next off-season Russ is headed to LA or possibly New York or even Miami before he would even consider SA. He is a wannabe fashionista who was born in SoCal and attended UCLA. With his non-basketball aspirations and style it is even less conceivable that Westchuck would come to he Spurs than it was that Durant would.

I don't even think they'd want Westbrook. The point is more that the Spurs got the player they wanted, did the best they could with their depth, got younger, and still have financial flexibility in the future.

07-12-2016, 01:16 PM
I'll say this.If the Spurs ball movement slows to a screeching halt and we keep seeing more Kawhi-LMA iso ball, there's no way they get past the Warriors.

DAF86
07-12-2016, 01:16 PM
Either way, clearly the biggest loser is OKC. I don't know why Lowe wants to get all cute about this.

coachmac87
07-12-2016, 01:17 PM
Hence why Durant going to Golden State is the biggest bitch move ever. A generational talent like him joining a historic team. No NBA team can make any moves to counter him going there.

Anybody who tried to defend Durant going there will realize by all star break how much this fucked everything up. It's a cool story to right about in the offseason but the league is so fucked..especially if LeBron goes down. Like there's no interest around the league or competition

apalisoc_9
07-12-2016, 01:18 PM
The only team that won in Free agency is GSW..tbh

Obstructed_View
07-12-2016, 01:19 PM
Nah. It may have shown some defensive strategies but not much more than that. The slow tempo approach the Spurs used against GS isn't the answer, you have to run right back at them. Being smart, not turnig the ball over but never slowing down. The whole "playing defense with the ball" strategy just isn't going to cut it. I thought that was the key to beating them, but after seeing how things played out last season I stand corrected.

I'm not sure what the hell you're talking about, but it's a single defensive strategy that everyone else used: switching on picks. Nobody figured it out before the Spurs did. The Thunder were a pretty shit defensive team during the season and they were able to grind the Warriors' offense to a halt.

sasaint
07-12-2016, 01:21 PM
I don't even think they'd want Westbrook. The point is more that the Spurs got the player they wanted, did the best they could with their depth, got younger, and still have financial flexibility in the future.

Totally agree. :toast I hope that Russ and the Clips hook up to bring the local boy home, and CP3 comes here.

SPURt
07-12-2016, 01:21 PM
It's strange Zach would take that stance considering he said on his podcast that the money flying around this offseason was going to haunt a lot of teams like the Lakers. I thought the Spurs played it safe and correctly. The Spurs had two choices this offseason:

1. Overpay for mid level prime players and bet that these mid level players will contribute enough to win a chip
2. Get older and undervalued players to play for reasonable contracts while betting drafted players will take advantage of playing time in a way the Spurs haven't allowed since the early 2000's.

I'm not suggesting KA, Murray, or Bertans will be Tony or Manu this year. What I am saying is Pop is going to have to play inexperience, he has no choice.

I think the Spurs had the best off season possible considering the talent available and the money required to sign that talent. If two of Murray, Bertans, or LCJ turn out to be legit role players the Spurs are going to have cap space in the coming years while those guys are on favorable deals.

The Spurs success starts and ends with Pop and the coaching staff. The Spurs used their cap space the best way they possibly could while keeping Tony Parker on the team. Zach doesn't offer any alternatives to the Spurs strategy, so it is hard to respect his position. Though he also calls the NBA and it's fans losers in this years free agency, which is true.

I'm excited to see which of the young guys step up.

coachmac87
07-12-2016, 01:22 PM
I agree with Lowe, the Spurs went from a 67 win team to one who will probably win about 55 games or so. Gasol is no Duncan and the Spurs bigman depth chart is razor thin now. If one of Gasol or Aldridge gets hurt for any length of time how are the Spurs responding to that? And they didn't upgrade Parker. Just the thought of Gasol's man screening for Curry while Parker is on him is hilarious. The Spurs went from a title contender to probably a distant 3 seed (thanks to OKC getting destroyed). I mean Gasol was the best option for sure, there was little chance of keeping the team as good as it was in 2015-16 considering how many players were on absolute bargain basement deals and eligible to test free agency in a summer where everyone had money. But this team isn't a title contender. They're not going to get much scoring out of the backcourt and they have no frontcourt depth. They'll be a good team but a second round exit to the Clippers or Warriors is probably what we're looking at next year.

So you think Spurs were better off with a 40yr old Duncan, quitter in Diaw, and washed up West last year?

DAF86
07-12-2016, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure what the hell you're talking about, but it's a single defensive strategy that everyone else used: switching on picks. Nobody figured it out before the Spurs did. The Thunder were a pretty shit defensive team during the season and they were able to grind the Warriors' offense to a halt.

That defensive strategy alone doesn't beat the Warriors. You have to follow it up with a fast tempo offense that contains, at least, 4 three point shooting threats.

Obstructed_View
07-12-2016, 01:23 PM
Totally agree. :toast I hope that Russ and the Clips hook up to bring the local boy home, and CP3 comes here.

We have more immediate shit to worry about. Like hoping someone from the youth movement steps up and becomes a real NBA player. If none of them do, it could be a long year.

baseline bum
07-12-2016, 01:23 PM
So you think Spurs were better off with a 40yr old Duncan, quitter in Diaw, and washed up West last year?

Yes, I think they were better last year than they will be this year. By a mile.

Chinook
07-12-2016, 01:25 PM
... Gasol is no Duncan and the Spurs bigman depth chart is razor thin now. ... They'll be a good team but a second round exit to the Clippers.

I went from going like, "Sure, sure. That's reasonable." To "Aw fuck no." over the course of your post. There's no reason at all to think the Clippers are above the Spurs. You want to talk about a lack of depth? Their current bench is Rivers/Crawford/Mbah a Moute/Pierce/Speights. Even ignoring age for them (which I'm sure you aren't ignoring for the Spurs), you have a draft bust who's being shamelessly riding on his father's gravy train, a chucker who can shoot his team out of a game, a guy whom I like a lot as a role-player but who is offensively limited, a guy who's been ineffective for a year now and a guy who played well for GS but is still a question mark as the main offensive player for his unit. Their starters are obviously really good, though it depends on Wes Johnson being a good 3-and-D guy. But they have their own health issues.

I understand that people don't want Parker to start. I'm not a fan of not getting another back-court scorer either. But he'll be fine so long as he continues to work on his three-pointer. I think the Spurs' bench matches up really well with the Clippers' second unit. And I think they're going to have a better starting unit this year.

I. Hustle
07-12-2016, 01:25 PM
YES!!!! Let it begin. This is EXACTLY what the Spurs need! They need all these writers to say that they are done. They need everyone to dismiss them. I was JUST talking about this with someone. When that happens is when the Spurs excel.

Obstructed_View
07-12-2016, 01:26 PM
That defensive strategy alone doesn't beat the Warriors. You have to follow it up with a fast tempo offense that contains, at least, 4 three point shooting threats.

But that doesn't matter. Prior to the strategy, nothing beat the Warriors. The Spurs exposed their Achilles heel. That's why the Dubs lost the same number of games in the playoffs as they did the entire regular season.

skulls138
07-12-2016, 01:27 PM
Hence why Durant going to Golden State is the biggest bitch move ever. A generational talent like him joining a historic team. No NBA team can make any moves to counter him going there.But no ones going to fear them even if they have another historic run because people see that their brand of b-ball isnt as effective in the postseason.

Chinook
07-12-2016, 01:27 PM

I think you're overrating Duncan, at least as far as straight on-the-court impact goes. They have a ton of potential to be better in the first unit, and I think their second unit is going to be MUCH better than last year.

Obstructed_View
07-12-2016, 01:29 PM

It's a concern. Duncan's defense was really good up until about game 2 of the Thunder series when his knee completely stopped working. Gasol will improve the offense, and probably the rebounding. Maybe even block numbers, but I'll be really surprised if the defense doesn't fall off a lot without Timmy. Then you factor in the loss of reliable depth. A fat, uninterested Boris Diaw is more of an NBA player than LJC or Cady Lalanne.

itzsoweezee
07-12-2016, 01:30 PM
I think you're crazy. Where is this improvement going to come from? A bunch of rookies? A washed up Gasol? No.

BillMc
07-12-2016, 01:30 PM
Spurs took a necessary step back with the retirement of TD, no matter how much of a nice get Gasol is.

But a bit of perspective is in order. Remember how circa 2009 and 2010 when everyone thought the Spurs would collapse when Timmy hung it up? That's not going to happen. Year 1 AD (After Duncan) will have us somewhere between the 2nd and fourth best team in the league. In the big picture that's pretty good.

Also, since OKC is not going to be a viable threat, even the though the Spurs may be a little worse on the court this year, they're likely to advance as far or farther. You can argue the road to the WCF has opened up, with the Clips and the Spurs battling to face the Dubs in conference championships. So we may win less in the regular season, yet very well may win more in the postseason.

And the youth movement is underway. KA will see a much bigger role this year. Simmons might too. And Bertans, JCL and Dedmon all bring youth to the bench. Time is now to develop them.

Again, going back to 2009, if you told me THIS is what the team would look like in AD 1, I'd have taken it in a heartbeat.

Obstructed_View
07-12-2016, 01:31 PM
It's strange Zach would take that stance considering he said on his podcast that the money flying around this offseason was going to haunt a lot of teams like the Lakers. I thought the Spurs played it safe and correctly. The Spurs had two choices this offseason:

1. Overpay for mid level prime players and bet that these mid level players will contribute enough to win a chip
2. Get older and undervalued players to play for reasonable contracts while betting drafted players will take advantage of playing time in a way the Spurs haven't allowed since the early 2000's.

I'm not suggesting KA, Murray, or Bertans will be Tony or Manu this year. What I am saying is Pop is going to have to play inexperience, he has no choice.

I think the Spurs had the best off season possible considering the talent available and the money required to sign that talent. If two of Murray, Bertans, or LCJ turn out to be legit role players the Spurs are going to have cap space in the coming years while those guys are on favorable deals.

The Spurs success starts and ends with Pop and the coaching staff. The Spurs used their cap space the best way they possibly could while keeping Tony Parker on the team. Zach doesn't offer any alternatives to the Spurs strategy, so it is hard to respect his position. Though he also calls the NBA and it's fans losers in this years free agency, which is true.

I agree with all of this. Further, Tony Parker being on the team is essential. There is NOBODY behind him that can be expected to bring the ball up, initiate the offense, and stay healthy. The bar is admittedly pretty damn low for Parker. :lol

Chinook
07-12-2016, 01:32 PM
I think you're crazy. Where is this improvement going to come from? A bunch of rookies? A washed up Gasol? No.

I find it hilarious that people are calling Gasol washed up but acting like Tim wasn't. And we're talking about second- and third-year players leading the improvement charge. If you're trying to poopoo that, then I think you completely lack perspective on these last five years.

elbamba
07-12-2016, 01:33 PM
The Spurs need to find some 3 point shooting stat.

Chinook
07-12-2016, 01:36 PM

They've signed about the two-best three-point shooters they could along with getting a better three-point-shooting center, and having Anderson and Simmons work on improving their shots.

tbdog
07-12-2016, 01:38 PM
That's exactly right. Teams took the defensive template from that game, used it, and solved the Warriors. Oklahoma damn near beat em with it, hell a rebuilding Portland used it to win two damn games.cleveland finally fixed their rotations and used it to beat them three damn games in a row

Actually Lue's best and most important adjustment was putting Jefferson on Livingston. It just negated Livingston altogether. I remember us fans were calling Pop to put Anderson on him.

Also, I have been saying this, Curry and Klay are regular season players. When playoffs happen, teams get away with a lot more contact. It just wore them out. They were fighting through screens, getting bumped for the defense just to switch. Then, Curry in particular, danced with the ball to try and get a shot off. By the end, he just didn't have legs and a sore knee. Great template by Pop.

GSH
07-12-2016, 01:39 PM
It's strange Zach would take that stance

First of all, he talks about conversations in the Warriors' locker room. Was he in the locker room? Doubtful, since he didn't report it before now. So he's gone and interviewed Warriors players after the fact? And they told him that they were never worried about the Spurs - after the fact? That's not a stance. That's getting down on your knees.

As for the Spurs free-agency this year - part of the cap bind they are in now is simply the price to be paid for winning #5. And Timmy was lost in December of last year, not this week.

So for all practical purposes, the Spurs started this season without Timmy, and without a lot of money to hire free agents. They picked up Pau Gasol and Dedmon, on their limited budget. We'll just have to wait and see which of their Euro players make the final cut. But until we see who is on the final roster, and how well they stack up, it's a little premature to say that they had a bad offseason.

After picking up Durant, the Dubs are an odds-on favorite to win the West, if not the whole thing. That's a given. So there are going to be a lot of second-rate "journalists" slobbering all over them. And why not? It's easy. One thing everyone needs to keep in mind - none of these jackasses were picking the Cavs to beat the Warriors this time last season. No matter how stacked the Warriors are, there's a reason they still play the games.

Oh, and fuck Zach Lowe.

BillMc
07-12-2016, 01:40 PM

Hopefully Bertans and Forbes can help in that regard.

Chinook
07-12-2016, 01:41 PM
Lowe's legit, especially as an analyst. I just think people are going to be looking at this off-season completely differently first in May and then again next July.

Obstructed_View
07-12-2016, 01:44 PM
Lowe's legit, especially as an analyst. I just think people are going to be looking at this off-season completely differently first in May and then again next July.

Calling the team "losers in free agency" implies that there were bad choices made. How the team performs next year isn't really relevant to their options now. So what did the Spurs not do that they could have done?

Obstructed_View
07-12-2016, 01:46 PM
At this point, it's particularly stupid to treat the Warriors' 2017 title like a fait accompli. Any of you that do so going forward will be called on your ignorance of sports.

coachmac87
07-12-2016, 01:46 PM

Matching up with Warriors?? I don't see how that's possible.

Chinook
07-12-2016, 01:48 PM
Calling the team "losers in free agency" implies that there were bad choices made. How the team performs next year isn't really relevant to their options now. So what did the Spurs not do that they could have done?

I imagine that swapping out Eric Gordon and Boban for Gasol would have pleased Lowe quite a bit. I was one of those people who argued for better guard play, and it seems like the team is investing developmental resources in it instead of dollars. And it feels a bit too late for that. If you don't like Gasol -- and a lot of analytics guys don't -- then you're not going to give anyone credit for signing him as their main piece. I mean, who's patting Indiana on the back for getting Al Jefferson at such a reasonable deal?

DAF86
07-12-2016, 01:50 PM
But that doesn't matter. Prior to the strategy, nothing beat the Warriors. The Spurs exposed their Achilles heel. That's why the Dubs lost the same number of games in the playoffs as they did the entire regular season.

You said "that game showed how to beat GS" and it didn't, because if that was the case teams would have beaten them playing a slow paced offense which is the kind of offense that the Spurs used on that game. When, in fact, the key to beating them was doing the complete opposite.

The defensive strategy is nice and all but it's only half the battle. Besides, you are making it seem like the Spurs tried some novel stuff that nobody else thought about. Many teams tried the same "switch all" strategy before and after that game and they got anally raped because they didn't have the discipline nor the talent that some elite teams have (nor the playoffs intensity either).

So, no. That game didn't show how to beat GS, imho.

tbdog
07-12-2016, 01:51 PM
I am looking forward to see how Pop integrates Gasol in the starting lineup. One thing Pop does great in, is changing his style and get the most out of his team. We went from a slow down, defensive juggernaut, to a fast pace, average defensive team. To the beautiful game. To the slow down, post up, wall defense game. Now we are going big. 2 7fts, and a 6'11 guy. More spacing with Gasol, etc.

elbamba
07-12-2016, 01:52 PM
They've signed about the two-best three-point shooters they could along with getting a better three-point-shooting center, and having Anderson and Simmons work on improving their shots.

I was not sure if they actually signed them or if it was just for summer league. That was one of the big things I felt we lost last year with Marco leaving and Danny having a down year.

Kawhitstorm
07-12-2016, 01:54 PM
Zach Hoe at this time last year:

Prediction #13. Spurs Disappoint.

The Spurs could be special, and I’m optimistic about the LaMarcus Aldridge fit (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-adjustment-bureau-how-lamarcus-aldridge-will-fit-in-with-the-spurs/) — even if some folks in rival front offices and coaching staffs remain skeptical. The other stuff worries me: Tony Parker’s decline, and that so many key contributors around the Aldridge-Leonard–Danny Green foundation are 33 and older. Tim Duncan isn’t going to play like this until he’s 45.
If the Spurs stay healthy, they could round into championship form in May and June. But the interim could be rockier than expected.

:wakeup

look_at_g_shred
07-12-2016, 01:55 PM
so what? We were winners of last offseason and how did that work out for us?

Obstructed_View
07-12-2016, 01:55 PM
You said "that game showed how to beat GS" and it didn't, because if that was the case teams would have beaten them playing a slow paced offense which is the kind of offense that the Spurs used on that game. When, in fact, the key to beating them was doing the complete opposite.

The defensive strategy is nice and all but it's only half the battle. Besides, you are making it seem like the Spurs tried to some novel stuff that nobody else thought about. Many teams tried the same "switch all" strategy before and after that game and they got anally raped because they didn't have the discipline nor the talent that some elite teams have (nor the playoffs intensity either).

So, no. That game didn't show how to beat GS, imho.

Um, no. The Spurs were the first team to do it, they won the game, and because the Spurs' offense happened to be poor in that game, the Warriors did like you did and wrote it off as a fluke. The reality was in the playoffs when everyone that beat the Warriors used that defensive strategy to slow down their offense. Take away their quick flashes to the basket and they're reduced to a jump shooting team. If you don't do that, it doesn't matter how flashy your offense is because you can't outscore them.

SPURt
07-12-2016, 01:56 PM
I agree with all of this. Further, Tony Parker being on the team is essential. There is NOBODY behind him that can be expected to bring the ball up, initiate the offense, and stay healthy. The bar is admittedly pretty damn low for Parker. :lol

This is very true especially considering the price of Jeremy Lin and Tyler Johnson.

DAF86
Zach Hoe at this time last year:

:wakeup

He was right about some stuff there though.

coachmac87
I find it hilarious that people are calling Gasol washed up but acting like Tim wasn't. And we're talking about second- and third-year players leading the improvement charge. If you're trying to poopoo that, then I think you completely lack perspective on these last five years.

Totally agree. People are comparing Gasol and Duncan's careers and not recent play. Yes I know Gasol isn't the defender that Duncan was at 40..or maybe he is? Gasol never got go play with 2 elite perimeter defenders and a long body in LMA. Gasol will put up 15/9/1.5 with his eyes closed next year IMO.

And like I said in OP Diaw/West combo was terrible and made Duncan look waaaaaay better defensively..

Keepin' it real
07-12-2016, 01:59 PM
so what? We were winners of last offseason and how did that work out for us?

Amazingly well. A historic 67-win season, a historic 40-1 home record. Kawhi was 2nd in MVP voting. LMA made significant progress in adjusting to the team and vice versa. Set the Spurs up for 2-4 years of legit title contention.

Kawhitstorm
07-12-2016, 02:00 PM
Just the thought of Gasol's man screening for Curry while Parker is on him is hilarious.

Just like Tim being unplayable against the Duds last season or D-Worst getting a train run on him at the rim by Livingston/Ezeli.:lol

Again, the Spurs aren't contending for a championship until Porker gets traded or demoted to the bench which could happen in 2017 if PATFO can land Chris Paul.

r0drig0lac

DAF86
Um, no. The Spurs were the first team to do it, they won the game, and because the Spurs' offense happened to be poor in that game, the Warriors did like you did and wrote it off as a fluke. The reality was in the playoffs when everyone that beat the Warriors used that defensive strategy to slow down their offense. Take away their quick flashes to the basket and they're reduced to a jump shooting team. If you don't do that, it doesn't matter how flashy your offense is because you can't outscore them.

Yes they did son. Just because it didn't turn out as good as it did for the Spurs on that game it doesn't mean they didn't. Heck, that same strategy was used by the Spurs and Clippers against the Warriors in the '13 and '14 playoffs respectively.

GSH
07-12-2016, 02:01 PM

LOL... well isn't that what analysts are for? Figuring it out up front, instead of in hindsight? LOL... let me analyze last season, and I'll look like a damn genius.

sasaint
07-12-2016, 02:02 PM
We have more immediate shit to worry about. Like hoping someone from the youth movement steps up and becomes a real NBA player. If none of them do, it could be a long year.

Actually, I should have posted a more complete thought. I thought the conversation was about next off-season when CP3 and Russ are FAs.

phxspurfan
07-12-2016, 02:03 PM

The team with the best talent doesn't always win. Remember the 03 Spurs? That team had a hobbled DRob, prime Duncan, young TP who had to be saved by backup PGs, and other newbies and we won it all. And there were good teams that year like the Mass that were better on paper.

Also if you want to look at some teams that had great depth but lost look no further than the clippers of the past 3 years, the pistons in 05-07, the nets when the Russian dude spent all that drug money etc. It guarantees nothing. I mean the Warriors won 73 games and had a ridiculous roster, and still have up a 3-1 lead and lost game 7 at home. Lol.

Dex
07-12-2016, 02:04 PM
That take is so bad it's not even worth picking apart.

Let's start the season already.

ElNono
07-12-2016, 02:05 PM

Improving the starting back court for one, and the Diaw trade, especially when he was entering a contract-season, can easily backfire. Also, while it wasn't a decision of the organization, Tim hanging them up also go into the "lose" column for the Spurs team.

Hoops Czar

Only for sentimental reasons. On paper, they're worse because for the upteenth year in a row, the Spurs didn't address their offseaon needs. They still don't have a penetrating guard that can breakdown the defense and they lack any kind of three point depth. And losing a Duncan/Diaw/Boban/West and gaining a Gasol doesn't make you better. You might gain a few points per game from the starting lineup but you lose a ton of depth. This was never about missing out on Durant because he was never coming here to begin with.

Obstructed_View
Actually, I should have posted a more complete thought. I thought the conversation was about next off-season when CP3 and Russ are FAs.

I don't think I misunderstood you, and didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing. They're good points, and having flexibility for next year is great, but as fans we're all hoping some of these kids grow up fast. That's all I was saying.

Kawhitstorm
07-12-2016, 02:06 PM
He was right about some stuff there though.

It doesn't take a genius to sight "health issues" as being a deal breaker after what took place in 2015. The addition of LMA had nothing to do w/ it.

coachmac87
07-12-2016, 02:06 PM
I am looking forward to see how Pop integrates Gasol in the starting lineup. One thing Pop does great in, is changing his style and get the most out of his team. We went from a slow down, defensive juggernaut, to a fast pace, average defensive team. To the beautiful game. To the slow down, post up, wall defense game. Now we are going big. 2 7fts, and a 6'11 guy. More spacing with Gasol, etc.

High Post/Elbows. Gasol will make the offense flow a lot better than with Duncan who became a liability who couldn't do anything on the offensive end

Obstructed_View
07-12-2016, 02:11 PM
Improving the starting back court for one, and the Diaw trade, especially when he was entering a contract-season, can easily backfire. Also, while it wasn't a decision of the organization, Tim hanging them up also go into the "lose" column for the Spurs team.

No, you can't just give me generic responses. That's the kind of shit idiots do so they can say "see I told you so" when the Spurs don't win it all. The Spurs' FO knows as well as you or I do where the team's weaknesses are, and losing Duncan was pretty fucking huge, and Gasol is a pretty fucking huge band-aid on that. Plus he was a bargain. The reality is that the Spurs traded a guy that we were all pretty sure Pop was going to release to free up the money to sign Pau, plus they got a prospect in return that could help the back court. If you have a better plan, share it in detail.

Someone said Eric Gordon and Boban instead of Gasol would have been a better solution. I happen to disagree, but at least it's specific.

Kawhitstorm
07-12-2016, 02:12 PM
I went from going like, "Sure, sure. That's reasonable." To "Aw fuck no." over the course of your post. There's no reason at all to think the Clippers are above the Spurs.

Basically, the Pau/LMA frontline means that Blake has to check one of them in the post which isn't his forte (he's worse than Ibaka::lol) & can get him in foul trouble. Chris Paul has been murdering Tim on PnRs so it's going to be more of the same with Pau basically sagging in the paint to prevent the DeAndre lobs.

Obstructed_View
07-12-2016, 02:12 PM
It doesn't take a genius to sight "health issues" as being a deal breaker after what took place in 2015. The addition of LMA had nothing to do w/ it.

Agree. He said they'd round into form, which is the opposite of what happened. Everyone knew the Spurs were likely to crash and burn once Duncan's other knee went.

SAGirl
07-12-2016, 02:13 PM

I agree. It's scary to think that the fate of the season, how good the team can be compared to last season depends on Tony holding up, and Anderson, Simmons or Bertans becoming quality NBA players and Murray developing into the quick stepping guard they need with better decision making. It may not all come together this season as Murray is just so young and raw and there are question marks for all of the other three but at least two already played in the NBA and had relatively good seasons viewed in context, and Bertans is a specialist with a translatable skill.

Maybe it's not evident this season that the moves they made were the best possible moves, all things considered, but a few years ago, the Spurs had a very young Kawhi, Danny, Cojo, a young Mills and a lot of question marks too.

Next season they have cap for a FA, while they also have developed depth and young players in bargain contracts. It's as much about playing the long game as the short game. Yes in the immediate future they lost depth (Boban, Diaw, D west, TD) but they were not going to go much farther than they got with that depth and that team had no upside as it was, (if anything, there were possibilities for further decline), save Boban.

Considering that Timmy retired, they did as well as they could have hoped and they are still a very good team. It's not like we went down to fringe playoff team.

Chinook
07-12-2016, 02:13 PM
LOL... well isn't that what analysts are for? Figuring it out up front, instead of in hindsight? LOL... let me analyze last season, and I'll look like a damn genius.

Actually, I disagree. I think predictive analysis is largely shit. Half of it is stats which don't track particularly well, while the other half is just stating obvious things. I think analysis is much better for determining why things happened the way they did. I much prefer the clarity of past analysis over the guess-work of future analysis.

DAF86
07-12-2016, 02:17 PM

I'm talking about other things like Aldridge being a good fit (he is, despite whatever troll job someone would like to make), Parker's decline, Duncan's decline and the role players not producing as expected.

Kawhitstorm
07-12-2016, 02:20 PM
I'm talking about other things like Aldridge being a good fit (he is, despite whatever troll job someone would like to make), Parker's decline, Duncan's decline and the role players not producing as expected.

If that's the case then why is 67 wins & 2nd rd exit a disappointment when Porker was coming off an all-time atrocious series in 2015? (Manu was also benched against the Cripples)

Were they expected to improve with age?:lol (It was LMA or bust & lets just say he blew his load in Gm 1/2)

DAF86
07-12-2016, 02:22 PM
If that's the case then why is 67 wins & 2nd rd exit a disappointment when Porker was coming off an all-time atrocious series in 2015? (Manu was also benched against the Cripples)

Did I say he was right on everything or just "some stuff"?

ElNono
07-12-2016, 02:25 PM
No, you can't just give me generic responses. That's the kind of shit idiots do so they can say "see I told you so" when the Spurs don't win it all. The Spurs' FO knows as well as you or I do where the team's weaknesses are, and losing Duncan was pretty fucking huge, and Gasol is a pretty fucking huge band-aid on that. Plus he was a bargain. The reality is that the Spurs traded a guy that we were all pretty sure Pop was going to release to free up the money to sign Pau, plus they got a prospect in return that could help the back court. If you have a better plan, share it in detail.

Someone said Eric Gordon and Boban instead of Gasol would have been a better solution. I happen to disagree, but at least it's specific.

It's an opinion piece, there's no "facts" here to make them non-generic responses. Neither by Lowe or anybody else. Only time will tell if he was right or not. Those areas I pointed out are areas everybody is well aware of that we've been lacking.

For example, we as Spursfans know that TP and Manu are treated like family by the Spurs org, and they'll likely stay for as long as they want. But an outside observer doesn't have to adhere to that. On a league with Curry, Westbrook, CP3, Irving, etc it's hard to argue that the Spurs are at a disadvantage at the starting PG position. The fact that they apparently aren't even looking to upgrade that position (due to what I pointed out earlier) should be tacked in the "loss" column. We have no fallback also if Danny Green has another shitty shooting season. Losing Diaw on a contract year, on the other hand, is very factual. Will it be the right decision or not? Only time will tell. Boris is a guy that went from terrible to amazing to terrible in the span of three-four seasons.

That doesn't mean the Pau pickup wasn't great and hopefully offset quite a bit losing TD. But he's looking at the overall, and there's no doubt that there's some areas that were concerning from last season (and perhaps even previously to that) that weren't addressed. Due to money reasons or whatever other reason.

itzsoweezee
07-12-2016, 02:27 PM

Duncan was better than Gasol last year, sorry. Even last year, he was the number two reason the Spurs had a historic defense. I don't have much confidence in Anderson or Simmons being difference makers. They dominated summer league because they were among the oldest and most experienced guys there.

Kawhitstorm
07-12-2016, 02:28 PM
Did I say he was right on everything or just "some stuff"?

The stuff you sighted was what had ACTUALLY already happened in 2015 & should have been accounted for without even mentioning.:lol (It would be like saying the Spurs will disappoint next season if Porker isn't worthy of being a starter on a contender)

The Rockets were supposed to be the Duds main roadblock last season but the narrative changed when the Spurs won 67 games. Basically, the Spurs actually OVERACHIEVED or at least hit their ceiling. (Zach Hoe wasn't expecting Kawhi to finish 2nd in MVP)

Softridge was an upgrade over Shitter & Pau will be an upgrade over post-injury Tim. Saying the addition of Pau means the Spurs regressed is ludicrous.

sasaint
07-12-2016, 02:29 PM
I don't think I misunderstood you, and didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing. They're good points, and having flexibility for next year is great, but as fans we're all hoping some of these kids grow up fast. That's all I was saying.

I have been more impressed with Dijon than I expected. I am not sure whether he will become a true PG or whether he will be more of a combo guard who can give some good minutes at the point. Regardless, I think he is a project that will take more than this season and next to be a big contributor on a team that (hopefully) competes for a chip. Plus, TP would have to go. So, after next off-season, my ideal PG rotation would be Paul/Dijon.

tbdog
07-12-2016, 02:29 PM
It's an opinion piece, there's no "facts" here to make them non-generic responses. Neither by Lowe or anybody else. Only time will tell if he was right or not. Those areas I pointed out are areas everybody is well aware of that we've been lacking.

For example, we as Spursfans know that TP and Manu are treated like family by the Spurs org, and they'll likely stay for as long as they want. But an outside observer doesn't have to adhere to that. On a league with Curry, Westbrook, CP3, Irving, etc it's hard to argue that the Spurs are at a disadvantage at the starting PG position. The fact that they apparently aren't even looking to upgrade that position (due to what I pointed out earlier) should be tacked in the "loss" column. We have no fallback also if Danny Green has another shitty shooting season. Losing Diaw on a contract year, on the other hand, is very factual. Will it be the right decision or not? Only time will tell. Boris is a guy that went from terrible to amazing to terrible in the span of three-four seasons.

That doesn't mean the Pau pickup wasn't great and hopefully offset quite a bit losing TD. But he's looking at the overall, and there's no doubt that there's some areas that were concerning from last season (and perhaps even previously to that) that weren't addressed. Due to money reasons or whatever other reason.

A lot of teams don't have full back plans for their core players. Green is our core player. He is our starter. Behind him is Manu and Simmons. That is all we can afford and give.

HarlemHeat37
07-12-2016, 02:30 PM
Calling the Spurs losers in Free Agency is a stretch and seems like an attempt to click bait, tbh..however, Lowe is correct about their flaws, and it's difficult to be encouraged about contending when they still don't have a dynamic guard on the roster..

They certainly have a puncher's chance(this year's Cavs were probably the 4th best team in the NBA, for example), but they would need a lot of breaks to go in their favor..

GSH
07-12-2016, 02:30 PM
Actually, I disagree. I think predictive analysis is largely shit. Half of it is stats which don't track particularly well, while the other half is just stating obvious things. I think analysis is much better for determining why things happened the way they did. I much prefer the clarity of past analysis over the guess-work of future analysis.

I'm too subtle for my own good sometimes. Look, Lowe is making predictive analysis by saying that the Spurs' offseason moves won't be good for them. (As if they had better options, after Durant went west.) Isn't it hard to be "legit" when you're doing something that is, by definition, shit?

For the most part, these guys just throw a lot of poop at the wall, and come back after the season to crow about the parts that stuck. When you've got a team as stacked as Golden State is this year, it's easy for them to just bandwagon. That's not analysis. It's just picking the wall that looks the stickiest to throw their poop on.

That's my point. Jumping on the Golden State bandwagon is pretty much a no-brainer. But it's a cop-out. I think the Spurs have done damn well in free agency, giving what they had to work with. So much so that I would call it a win. If he's trying to say that GS has more raw talent than the Spurs, well duh. But saying that they are losers in free agency? I'd like to hear his plan for how they could have done better.

look_at_g_shred
07-12-2016, 02:31 PM
Losers every time that Parker contract is a part of the cap.

DAF86
07-12-2016, 02:32 PM
The stuff you sighted was what had ACTUALLY already happened in 2015 & should have been accounted for without even mentioning.:lol

The Rockets were supposed to be the Duds main roadblock last season but the narrative changed when the Spurs won 67 games. Basically, the Spurs actually OVERACHIEVED or at least hit their ceiling. (Zach Hoe wasn't expecting Kawhi to finish 2nd in MVP)

I don't know what he expected son. I'm just saying that that quote you posted of him isn't some completely laughable horrible prediction, tbh.

Chinook
07-12-2016, 02:32 PM
Duncan was better than Gasol last year

He wasn't, especially considering that he was a part-time player. If you can't accept that, then it's no wonder why you don't think the team has a chance at improving.

I don't have much confidence in Anderson or Simmons being difference makers. They dominated summer league because they were among the oldest and most experienced guys there.

They're far from the oldest guys on the team and the league for sure. Especially Anderson. And yes, being young and experienced is a good thing.

Spurtacular
07-12-2016, 02:35 PM
Golden State never feared the Spurs.

They did; and they should've feared the Cavs.

BatManu20
07-12-2016, 02:36 PM
Spurs will be a good team but a second round exit to the Clippers or Warriors is probably what we're looking at next year.

Yep.

coachmac87
Calling the Spurs losers in Free Agency is a stretch and seems like an attempt to click bait, tbh..however, Lowe is correct about their flaws, and it's difficult to be encouraged about contending when they still don't have a dynamic guard on the roster..

They certainly have a puncher's chance(this year's Cavs were probably the 4th best team in the NBA, for example), but they would need a lot of breaks to go in their favor..

Blows my min how Spurs are labeled "losers" but the Heat are not lol

Leetonidas
What a garbage article. I normally like Zach Lowe but this is retarded. aside from losing out on Durant and Duncan retiring which spurs have no control over they had a solid off-season and added an all star C, an athletic shotblocker/rebounder, and added some youth. what else were they supposed to do with only 10 mil in space

Kawhitstorm
I don't know what he expected son

He expected the Rockets to be better than the Spurs, that's all.

I'm just saying that that quote you posted of him isn't some completely laughable horrible prediction, tbh.

He sighted OBVIOUS flaws the Spurs had BEFORE Aldridge arrived to claim they will disappoint. Why would he expect anything more than 67 win & almost making it to the WCF a "disappointment"?

Disappointment is when a team like the Rockets underachieves & losing in free agency isn't signing Pau to replace Tim w/ roasted knees when that was the only feasible option other than trading Porker. (His logic lacks relativity)

Yuixafun
We're one Westbrook type away from a threepeat.

The Dubs just lost all their contunuity, chemistry is key.

GSH
07-12-2016, 02:38 PM
Duncan was better than Gasol last year, sorry. Even last year, he was the number two reason the Spurs had a historic defense.

Timmy was still a force on defense last season, even though his offense was strangely lacking. It got commented on regularly. Until December, when he hurt his "good" leg. After that he wasn't a force on either end. He barely limped through the remainder of the season. Say what you want, but after December he wasn't better than Gasol. I won't even argue about who was better before that, because it's immaterial. The Spurs finished the season with a shadow of Duncan, who wasn't better than Gasol.

BatManu20
Need Westbrook or CP3 to miraculously come to SA next summer IMVHO

DAF86
He expected the Rockets to be better than the Spurs, that's all.

Should have posted that, tbh.

Spurtacular
07-12-2016, 02:39 PM
It feels like San Antonio needs a placeholder season to figure out what to do next. At least the Thunder are gone.

I fear that's what this season will be. My hope is a solution at PG emerges and that KL, LMA, DG play like a true Big Three.

Obstructed_View
07-12-2016, 02:40 PM

Agreed on all points. The Spurs had a lot of leaks, and did literally everything in their power to try to plug the most urgent ones, and did so WITHOUT hamstringing themselves financially going forward. The goal of free agency is to improve your team. He's saying "they can't beat the Warriors so they failed" which is retarded.

SPURt
One thing everyone needs to keep in mind - none of these jackasses were picking the Cavs to beat the Warriors this time last season. No matter how stacked the Warriors are, there's a reason they still play the games.
This. As Spurs fans we know how hard it is to win chips. Based on the regular season and getting a 73 win team it felt like why even play the playoffs?

TheGoldStandard
So many defeatists... The season will be a success Post Duncan.

HarlemHeat37
07-12-2016, 02:41 PM
I fear that's what this season will be. My hope is a solution at PG emerges and that KL, LMA, DG play like a true Big Three.

:lol from where?

Spurs have a legit big 3(Kawhi, LMA, Gasol) and 1 legit role player(Green)..they have major question marks at PG, on the bench(only Manu and Mills are proven) and in the frontcourt(depth)..

The problem with the top 3 is that they're all frontcourt players, unfortunately..in today's league, you better have at least 1 PG or combo guard that can consistently create for himself and others..

Darius McCrary
07-12-2016, 02:44 PM

I would spooge like ElNoNo during an East Coast road game winner if we got ChuckGod.

Kawhitstorm
07-12-2016, 02:44 PM
Should have posted that, tbh.

1. Houston Emerges As the Biggest Threat to Golden State in the West
I love this team. They are freaking loaded with relentless athletes who will never stop running, flying to the rim, launching 3s, and whipping the ball up the court in transition. They are exhausting to play against. They got Lawson for free! K.J. McDaniels may be ready for more time on the wing, Clint Capela is a player, and Harden is going to make a run at MVP again. And for all the anxiety about the shaky makeup, these guys held together during the same tense moments in which the Clippers quaked. Howard was great in the playoffs, and he has already led a team to the Finals. Why do we act as if he has accomplished nothing on the big stage?

HarlemHeat37
07-12-2016, 02:45 PM
Ya, I don't really know what Lowe expected..the options in FA for penetrating/explosive guards were scarce, tbh..

There's no way in Hell I'm paying 150 million for a 3rd-tier PG like Mike Conley:lol

Perry Mason
07-12-2016, 02:45 PM

This times 1000. Lowe's points just mean GSW was overconfident; and probably using that confidence to mask underlying fear. They very well can lose to a Spurs team if it can fire on all cylinders. An improved Kawhi plus an effective Pau and LMA can go a long way in the playoffs.

Let's see how bad they want it.

Spurtacular
07-12-2016, 02:46 PM
:lol from where?

Spurs have a legit big 3(Kawhi, LMA, Gasol) and 1 legit role player(Green)..they have major question marks at PG, on the bench(only Manu and Mills are proven) and in the frontcourt(depth)..

The problem with the top 3 is that they're all frontcourt players, unfortunately..in today's league, you better have at least 1 PG or combo guard that can consistently create for himself and others..

I'm not saying a PG will come to the front. I said that's my hope. Odd things can happen; but it doesn't mean I'm expecting it. Personally, I'd got with Jimmer.

InRareForm
07-12-2016, 02:46 PM
Sounds about right.. You are a sensitive Homer if you think otherwise

At least we got 2014

elbamba
07-12-2016, 02:47 PM
Losing Diaw on a contract year, on the other hand, is very factual. Will it be the right decision or not? Only time will tell. Boris is a guy that went from terrible to amazing to terrible in the span of three-four seasons.

While there is no way to tell now, I don't think losing Diaw in a contract year is too risky considering his age. He was 30 when he decided to get back into shape and become a good player again. At 34 I think it was a smart calculated gamble to get rid of him, pick up a prospect, and sign Gasol to a short 2 year deal.

Spurs9
07-12-2016, 02:47 PM
Spurs are still the 2nd/3rd best team in the league. Anything can happen in the playoffs.

Obstructed_View
07-12-2016, 02:51 PM
Ya, I don't really know what Lowe expected..the options in FA for penetrating/explosive guards were scarce, tbh..

There's no way in Hell I'm paying 150 million for a 3rd-tier PG like Mike Conley:lol

Precisely fucking this. If losing Duncan and Durant is automatically a loss, then not compounding the problem by signing Mike Conley for 150 million is at least a wash.

Spurs9
07-12-2016, 02:57 PM
I'm so glad the Spurs didn't overpay for someone like a ton of other teams. That won't bode well for them in the future being stuck with a bunch of those contracts. I rather the Spurs take chances on a bunch of cheaper rookies/euros along with the guys we already have.

Mr. Body
07-12-2016, 02:58 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16992129/rating-won-lost-nba-free-agency-period

Lowe: San Antonio countering the Durant event by signing a loping, ground-bound Pau Gasol might end up the perfect final symbol for the transition of power in the Western Conference. Remember: Golden State never feared the Spurs. Even after losing in San Antonio in March, Golden State's players chatted in the locker room about how the Spurs posed no threat to them in a seven-game series, according to several team sources.

San Antonio has never been able to score against these Warriors, and Gasol's silky but slow post game just doesn't feel like a potent enough answer. Tony Parker is 34, and the Spurs couldn't find another off-the-bounce threat to ease his burden.

The Spurs set the template for defending Golden State, but they might not be able to hold off the deluge without the thinking man's excellence of Timothy Theodore Duncan.

The Spurs probably know they can't beat the Warriors without some injury luck. They tried to get Durant, after all. A nucleus of Kawhi Leonard, LaMarcus Aldridge and Danny Green is a ridiculous starting point, but it feels like San Antonio needs a placeholder season to figure out what to do next. At least the Thunder are gone.

He also said on NBA Lockdown Podcast that Spurs struggled defensively without Duncan last year and expects the same with Gasol. IMO he's totally missing the point that Duncan was replaced by West/Diaw who aren't long or good rebounding. Spurs have Dedmon and Pau both are 7ft and good rebounders. No way in hell IMO did the Spurs "lose" when they replaced a starting center with an all star center tbh....they just didn't get KD

I'm not sure what the Spurs were supposed to have done. Durant, the ultimate following-beta, was never going to go anywhere but coattail with the Warriors.

Meanwhile, the Warriors say that shit about every team. That they're no threat at all. They were talking shit about the Cavs all season -- remember the 'I hope their locker room still smells like champaigne' comment? Up until the Cavs beat them.

Perry Mason
07-12-2016, 02:59 PM

This used to be true. But he became a front-runner, quite unexpectedly. I guess the media culture just rubbed off on him. Pity, really. But I no longer seek out his analysis because it has become so inconsistent.

coachmac87
07-12-2016, 03:03 PM
This used to be true. But he became a front-runner, quite unexpectedly. I guess the media culture just rubbed off on him. Pity, really. But I no longer seek out his analysis because it has become so inconsistent.

When did he become a front runner?

Kawhitstorm
07-12-2016, 03:12 PM
I'm not sure what the Spurs were supposed to have done.

Kawhi should have recruited LeBron!:rolleyes

Obstructed_View
07-12-2016, 03:15 PM
I'm not sure what the Spurs were supposed to have done.

The Spurs have two weaknesses going in: bigs and guards. The Warriors have the best smallball team maybe ever, so trying to match that would be pretty dumb. The Warriors have one weakness, and by getting Gasol, the Spurs gave themselves a sliver of daylight. Sounds like a pretty damn successful season to me.

objective
07-12-2016, 04:03 PM
They had weaknesses that weren't addressed, at least as it appears now, and might have added and lost other weaknesses. Losers, winners, what's important is what happened to the rosters. Context matters.

One thing I had been hoping for in a Duncan replacement was improved pick & roll defense. Didn't happen. Maybe the rim protection will remain the same. Probably greatly improved offensive production from Gasol (provided he doesn't fall off his own cliff at his age), but a lot from the same spots as Aldridge, getting lots of touches to facilitate, etc. But did they get better defensively in the area that is necessary to maximize chances against GS?

I also hoped that they would add a point guard with decent size, in the draft or otherwise, who could play emergency minutes as a defender and ball mover. Parker's effectiveness was at near zero with no defense, and Mills and his size limitations combined with age and wear & tear isn't a great option. Could they get someone who was as effective as George Hill was as a rookie? Just play hard defense and make hustle plays with size and speed?

That didn't happen. They added Murray who is a long term project, mostly defensively. I can't see him ready his rookie year to make a defensive impact.

They are still razor thin upfront. Dedmon is currently the only true big on the bench. That could/should change as they fill out their roster, and how Dedmon handles being a third big is a question mark. Anderson and Bertans are the other pieces, and while hopeful for Anderson at PF I can easily picture him being eaten up by legit 4s. Bertans has fight in him, but against NBA talent and with Pop doing Pop things? A big question mark.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-12-2016, 04:48 PM

While he is more credible than your typical sports journalist, I've heard him laugh about riling up Spurs fans in the past. He enjoys it.

DeRozan m8
07-12-2016, 04:55 PM

27 year old Durant > 40 year old Tim

Hoops Czar
07-12-2016, 05:00 PM
The Spurs have two weaknesses going in: bigs and guards. The Warriors have the best smallball team maybe ever, so trying to match that would be pretty dumb. The Warriors have one weakness, and by getting Gasol, the Spurs gave themselves a sliver of daylight. Sounds like a pretty damn successful season to me.

Diaw/Boban/Duncan =/= Gasol

Gasol isn't a + against small ball lineups. He's slow as shit on both ends of the court and he's going to get manhandled in the low post on defense. He is a good passing big and a fairly decent low post scorer himself but he isn't going to offset the 30 point swing that comes from Golden State's 3 point attack. The Spurs got skunked by GS , not because they lacked a scoring big but, because they couldn't match Golden States fire power even though they had a top 5 player, another top 25ish player at PF and a ton of championship experience at C, PG and back up SG. The Spurs set themselves for failure because they waited too long to get young. Now, they have a bunch of rotation players that either flat out stink (Simmons, Bertans) or aren't nearly developed enough to be counted on in medium to high leverage situations (Anderson, Dedmon, LJC, Murray). And for yet another season, the Spurs are going to rely on 38 year old Manu Ginobili to carry the bench all season long only to be totally gassed by the time the playoffs arrive.

4/5th's of the Spurs starters are ISO players and they won't beat a team like GS playing ISO ball. They'll either bring back the motion offense or they'll be cast aside pretty quickly.

Kikoluna
07-12-2016, 05:00 PM
Westbrook, Chrid Paul.... Plus young guys can develop like Murray, Bertans, Anderson.
Anderson? Really

timtonymanu
07-12-2016, 05:03 PM
Usually like Lowe but calling them "losers" is too much. No one can control the fact that Durbeta is Durbeta and Timmy retired. Also :lol at some of the posters in here justifying Lowe's claim .

TD 21
07-12-2016, 05:14 PM
Lowe is so damn biased to the organizations he has a good relationship with and it's clear that the Spurs aren't one of them, which is why he's mostly ignored or made snide remarks about them for two years.

He keeps stating that the Warriors "never feared the Spurs", as if that automatically gives credibility to the notion that they couldn't beat them. I also don't know where he got the notion from, that the Spurs have "never been able to score against these Warriors", when prior to last season they owned them.

He goes on to contradict himself, essentially calling the Spurs antiquated, yet he likes how the Jazz match-up because of their size. Unlike the Spurs, their starting bigs provide little in the way of post up threats/floor spacing and offer similar rebounding.

YGWHI
07-12-2016, 05:30 PM
Precisely fucking this. If losing Duncan and Durant is automatically a loss, then not compounding the problem by signing Mike Conley for 150 million is at least a wash.

Well, Lowe talking about Parker means the Spurs should do something to upgrade PG an SG positions. And he's right.

Parke wil play his good games in the first months of the season and then he will look extremely incompetent latter, like the last two playoffs.

And signing 39-year-old-Manu doesn't solve our issues in the perimeter against elite guards.

People say that there aren't true options in the market this summer to trade Parker, but who knows if Lowe thinks the Spurs should make a move with Celtics to get younger, or try to find a way for Teague/whoever/X, because he doesn't give an option

Hoops Czar
07-12-2016, 05:34 PM
Well, Lowe talking about Parker means the Spurs should do something to upgrade PG an SG positions. And he's right.

Parke wil play his good games in the first months of the season and then he will look extremely incompetent latter, like the last two playoffs.

And signing 39-year-old-Manu doesn't solve our issues in the perimeter against elite guards.

People say that there aren't true options in the market this summer to trade Parker, but who knows if Lowe thinks the Spurs should make a move with Celtics to get younger, or try to find a way for Teague/whoever/X, because he doesn't give an option

The only people in the universe that thought the Spurs had a real shot at Durant were the posters in this forum. :lol

DPG21920
07-12-2016, 05:53 PM
They had weaknesses that weren't addressed, at least as it appears now, and might have added and lost other weaknesses. Losers, winners, what's important is what happened to the rosters. Context matters.

One thing I had been hoping for in a Duncan replacement was improved pick & roll defense. Didn't happen. Maybe the rim protection will remain the same. Probably greatly improved offensive production from Gasol (provided he doesn't fall off his own cliff at his age), but a lot from the same spots as Aldridge, getting lots of touches to facilitate, etc. But did they get better defensively in the area that is necessary to maximize chances against GS?

I also hoped that they would add a point guard with decent size, in the draft or otherwise, who could play emergency minutes as a defender and ball mover. Parker's effectiveness was at near zero with no defense, and Mills and his size limitations combined with age and wear & tear isn't a great option. Could they get someone who was as effective as George Hill was as a rookie? Just play hard defense and make hustle plays with size and speed?

That didn't happen. They added Murray who is a long term project, mostly defensively. I can't see him ready his rookie year to make a defensive impact.

They are still razor thin upfront. Dedmon is currently the only true big on the bench. That could/should change as they fill out their roster, and how Dedmon handles being a third big is a question mark. Anderson and Bertans are the other pieces, and while hopeful for Anderson at PF I can easily picture him being eaten up by legit 4s. Bertans has fight in him, but against NBA talent and with Pop doing Pop things? A big question mark.

Even with the Spurs flaws in PNR defense they were so far the best defensive team it wasn't even funny. Did they really need to improve their "GS defense"? In the regular season, SA held GS to two really low scoring games; between how they checked a great OKC defense and with the success they had against GS (even though they gave up points the other two GS games) I dont think they needed to improve too much there.

I also think having Dedmon helps that more than anyone last year. Same with LJC possibly. Scoring was the issue and while TP is a big concern, Gasol is a much better scorer than Tim right now so even with the same opportunities Tim had, Pau will give you 4-6 more PPG at least.

DPG21920
07-12-2016, 05:57 PM
I personally don't think Lowe is biased at all and he's not the only one "reporting" about that GS mindset. They are cocky though and thought CLE couldn't beat them and we saw what happened.

The one change I noticed in Lowe is he seems more bitter now since Grantland was blown up. He no longer has a sense of humour, only responds on Twitter to argue with fans vs engage with them like he used to. Seems like a piece of him died with Grantland.

YGWHI
07-12-2016, 05:59 PM
Nah. It may have shown some defensive strategies but not much more than that. The slow tempo approach the Spurs used against GS isn't the answer, you have to run right back at them.

Agree. But you need to have the right personnel to do it. Do you think that the Spurs with old players like Parker, Manu, Gasol, all over the 35, can run, setting a fast, up-tempo?

Donovan's defensive estrategy was the closest facsimile to Pop's, but improved, with younger and more mobile bigs.

The Cavs -with other personnel- used other tactics. They maintained an aggressive, double-teaming defense on Curry, we didn't see Pop double him that much.

Also, Pop beat the Warriors slowing the pace and giving the ball to LMA, and exploiting Diaw favorable mismatch over Barnes.

But the Cavs won the 3 fastest-paced games of the series and killed them with perimeter players like Irving.

YGWHI
07-12-2016, 06:13 PM
The only people in the universe that thought the Spurs had a real shot at Durant were the posters in this forum. :lol
So? I didn't mention Durant. I'm talking about upgrading our PG/SG.

DPG21920
07-12-2016, 06:27 PM
You can only sign whom wants to come here & whom you have the money to sign.

Sometimes, even though there is a "best" strategy, guys like KD choose GS. Nothing you can do. You are constantly making decisions on what you want for your future while balancing being competitive now.

Could SA have signed Eric Gordon or Mike Conley? Maybe, but it doesn't seem likely and does handing out contracts like crazy assuming they want to come to SA make sense and turn out better than improving like SA did while maintaining solid flexibility next year?

Sure, having Westbrook would be great but was there anyone like that available, that SA could afford that would be worth it both long and short term?

Obstructed_View
07-12-2016, 06:46 PM

I agree. Gasol is an upgrade in everything but average age and minutes. With all due respect to Timmy, with two bad knees his only value to the team was when he retired and gave up a roster spot. Boban might have been a good value for seven million a year, but he's a liability on defense, and an unknown quantity against top competition. Meanwhile, Diaw had a foot out the door and we all knew it. If Gasol can match the production of last year, it's almost certainly better than bringing back Diaw and Boban, and only cost the team about three million dollars more.

Gasol isn't a + against small ball lineups.
Not sure where there's evidence of that. They played the Wizards last year who went small and Gasol nearly dropped a triple double on them. The way to beat a small lineup is to have two good scoring bigs who can exploit a mismatch, and they have to be able to switch and pay attention on defense. If Gasol and Aldridge can't do that, then the Spurs never had a shot anyway, and nothing they could have done in the offseason was going to change that.

He's slow as shit on both ends of the court and he's going to get manhandled in the low post on defense. He is a good passing big and a fairly decent low post scorer himself but he isn't going to offset the 30 point swing that comes from Golden State's 3 point attack.

Marjanovic and Diaw are not the solution to that problem, and you know it. My position is that the Spurs did what they could, and got great market value for someone who can cover all of Duncan and Marjanovic's minutes, and is probably a net gain at every statistical position for the cost of another Kyle Anderson.

The Spurs got skunked by GS , not because they lacked a scoring big but, because they couldn't match Golden States fire power even though they had a top 5 player, another top 25ish player at PF and a ton of championship experience at C, PG and back up SG.
The Spurs matched up fine with the Warriors. Timmy broke down and all that championship experience seemed to follow suit. The Spurs played one decent game in the playoffs.

The Spurs set themselves for failure because they waited too long to get young. Now, they have a bunch of rotation players that either flat out stink (Simmons, Bertans) or aren't nearly developed enough to be counted on in medium to high leverage situations (Anderson, Dedmon, LJC, Murray). And for yet another season, the Spurs are going to rely on 38 year old Manu Ginobili to carry the bench all season long only to be totally gassed by the time the playoffs arrive.
Agree completely, though not hitting on draft picks hurts, and can't really be planned around. Personally, I have zero problem with bringing in vets last year, basically firing every available bullet before Duncan hung it up. Though it sucks, Gasol is still the best solution that was available. Boban and Diaw don't fix any of that.

4/5th's of the Spurs starters are ISO players and they won't beat a team like GS playing ISO ball. They'll either bring back the motion offense or they'll be cast aside pretty quickly.
I don't think I agree that they are isolation players. They can do it, but last year shows that the Spurs struggle to beat bad teams playing iso ball. The Spurs still have a bunch of good pick and roll players.

And really, all of this, while fun to debate, isn't the biggest problem. As you mentioned above, the depth is dependent upon a bunch of really really young players. Someone from that group is going to have to step up and make a major contribution if the Spurs want any chance of even making the conference finals, let alone beating the Warriors.

Obstructed_View
07-12-2016, 06:55 PM

I agree. Gasol is an upgrade in everything but average age and minutes. With all due respect to Timmy, with two bad knees his only value to the team was when he retired and gave up a roster spot. Boban might have been a good value for seven million a year, but he's a liability on defense, and an unknown quantity against top competition. Meanwhile, Diaw had a foot out the door and we all knew it. If Gasol can match the production of last year, it's almost certainly better than bringing back Diaw and Boban, and only cost the team about three million dollars more.

Gasol isn't a + against small ball lineups.
Not sure where there's evidence of that. They played the Wizards last year who went small and Gasol nearly dropped a triple double on them. The way to beat a small lineup is to have two good scoring bigs who can exploit a mismatch, and they have to be able to switch and pay attention on defense. If Gasol and Aldridge can't do that, then the Spurs never had a shot anyway, and nothing they could have done in the offseason was going to change that.

He's slow as shit on both ends of the court and he's going to get manhandled in the low post on defense. He is a good passing big and a fairly decent low post scorer himself but he isn't going to offset the 30 point swing that comes from Golden State's 3 point attack.

Marjanovic and Diaw are not the solution to that problem, and you know it. My position is that the Spurs did what they could, and got great market value for someone who can cover all of Duncan and Marjanovic's minutes, and is probably a net gain at every statistical position for the cost of another Kyle Anderson.

The Spurs got skunked by GS , not because they lacked a scoring big but, because they couldn't match Golden States fire power even though they had a top 5 player, another top 25ish player at PF and a ton of championship experience at C, PG and back up SG.
The Spurs matched up fine with the Warriors. Timmy broke down and all that championship experience seemed to follow suit. The Spurs played one decent game in the playoffs.

The Spurs set themselves for failure because they waited too long to get young. Now, they have a bunch of rotation players that either flat out stink (Simmons, Bertans) or aren't nearly developed enough to be counted on in medium to high leverage situations (Anderson, Dedmon, LJC, Murray). And for yet another season, the Spurs are going to rely on 38 year old Manu Ginobili to carry the bench all season long only to be totally gassed by the time the playoffs arrive.
Agree completely, though not hitting on draft picks hurts, and can't really be planned around. Personally, I have zero problem with bringing in vets last year, basically firing every available bullet before Duncan hung it up. Though it sucks, Gasol is still the best solution that was available. Boban and Diaw don't fix any of that.

I don't think I agree that they are isolation players. They can do it, but last year shows that the Spurs struggle to beat bad teams playing iso ball. The Spurs still have a bunch of good pick and roll players.

And really, all of this, while fun to debate, isn't the biggest problem. As you mentioned above, the depth is dependent upon a bunch of really really young players. Someone from that group is going to have to step up and make a major contribution if the Spurs want any chance of even making the conference finals, let alone beating the Warriors.

DAF86
07-12-2016, 07:06 PM
Agree. But you need to have the right personnel to do it. Do you think that the Spurs with old players like Parker, Manu, Gasol, all over the 35, can run, setting a fast, up-tempo?

No.

Beaverfuzz
07-12-2016, 07:12 PM
Until this team has more "off-the-bounce" threats they have zero chance. That's why we need a star pg.

Fixed it for you.

daslicer
07-12-2016, 08:11 PM
I'm not sure what the Spurs were supposed to have done. Durant, the ultimate following-beta, was never going to go anywhere but coattail with the Warriors.

Meanwhile, the Warriors say that shit about every team. That they're no threat at all. They were talking shit about the Cavs all season -- remember the 'I hope their locker room still smells like champaigne' comment? Up until the Cavs beat them.

Pretty much this. It's laughable that Lowe thought this was earth breaking news. The Warrior's arrogance reminds me of the early '00 Lakers. They will continue to talk a lot of shit and dismiss opponents until they are beaten multiple times. Eventually their arrogance will be their down fall.

YGWHI
07-12-2016, 08:16 PM
they won't beat a team like GS playing ISO ball.

Either moving the ball with 3-point shooters and old guards who can't make their shots.

We shouldn't forget that the Spurs missed most uncontested shots in last playoffs. It's not like they didn't create good looks, they did, but missed those open shots.

Anyway, the Cavs beating Warrios with Iso plays, I'm not saying that's the way, or the Spurs' way, but you should find a balance between Iso and Motion.

Especially, when your best player is one of the most efficient iso-scorers in the league.

Should you put him spotting-up in the corner most game ignoring his real strenght?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmNOsAkWYAAYFVv.jpg

webshad
07-12-2016, 08:52 PM

OWNED! ouch!

TheGreatYacht
07-12-2016, 08:58 PM
OWNED! ouch!
:lol :tu

BackHome
07-12-2016, 09:02 PM
Stokes sucks on defense

J_Paco
07-13-2016, 12:46 AM
First of all, he talks about conversations in the Warriors' locker room. Was he in the locker room? Doubtful, since he didn't report it before now. So he's gone and interviewed Warriors players after the fact? And they told him that they were never worried about the Spurs - after the fact? That's not a stance. That's getting down on your knees.

As for the Spurs free-agency this year - part of the cap bind they are in now is simply the price to be paid for winning #5. And Timmy was lost in December of last year, not this week.

So for all practical purposes, the Spurs started this season without Timmy, and without a lot of money to hire free agents. They picked up Pau Gasol and Dedmon, on their limited budget. We'll just have to wait and see which of their Euro players make the final cut. But until we see who is on the final roster, and how well they stack up, it's a little premature to say that they had a bad offseason.

After picking up Durant, the Dubs are an odds-on favorite to win the West, if not the whole thing. That's a given. So there are going to be a lot of second-rate "journalists" slobbering all over them. And why not? It's easy. One thing everyone needs to keep in mind - none of these jackasses were picking the Cavs to beat the Warriors this time last season. No matter how stacked the Warriors are, there's a reason they still play the games.

Oh, and fuck Zach Lowe.

Amen....

J_Paco
07-13-2016, 01:22 AM

Finally, we completely agree on something. In a market that overpays Mike Conley, Kent Bazemore and Solomon Hill (amongst others) standing pat at the guard spots (as much as I hate it) was the best course of action. No one available, minus an in his right mind "Indiana" Lance Stephenson, was going to improve the backcourt enough especially at the ridiculous price ranges ($10+ million to both Jeremy Lin and Tyler Johnson) being set.

Gotta hope Simmons improves into a 7th/8th man caliber guard or the Spurs find a "Gary Neal" type diamond in the rough in the Summer League.

Prose
07-13-2016, 11:19 AM
"Golden State's players chatted in the locker room about how the Spurs posed no threat to them in a seven-game series"
THAT IS THE SAME SHIT THEY SAID ABOUT THE CAVS

spurs10
07-13-2016, 11:41 AM
Warriors suffered an historic loss this year. I bet that more Zach Lowe didn't have his money on the Cavs. Their supposed locker room banter shows why they got smacked down. 'Oh yeah...and fuck Zach Lowe.'

Russo21
07-13-2016, 12:02 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing that Dedmon guy play for us. He could have a breakout year. There are some holes in the roster still but shit happens.

spursistan
07-13-2016, 05:16 PM
Lowe is so damn biased to the organizations he has a good relationship with and it's clear that the Spurs aren't one of them, which is why he's mostly ignored or made snide remarks about them for two years.

He keeps stating that the Warriors "never feared the Spurs", as if that automatically gives credibility to the notion that they couldn't beat them. I also don't know where he got the notion from, that the Spurs have "never been able to score against these Warriors", when prior to last season they owned them.

He goes on to contradict himself, essentially calling the Spurs antiquated, yet he likes how the Jazz match-up because of their size. Unlike the Spurs, their starting bigs provide little in the way of post up threats/floor spacing and offer similar rebounding.

I have noticed this a bit, too (since his move to ESPN)..i liked the more detached analyst hat he wore in Grantland..now, he's starting to become a borderline "embedded" writer for teams that gives him the quote/access (Warriors/Thunder (Presti in particular)/Bulls etc..)r ..he is still good read overall but this is such a sloppy passage on the spurs, and as you said, he would have probably avoided mailing it in if he wwas hobnobbing with our higher-ups/executives on regular basis..(in one podcast he raved about how it was easy for him to ask for GSW players to go out for dinner with him during the finals)

Kawhitstorm
07-13-2016, 10:59 PM
Especially, when your best player is one of the most efficient iso-scorers in the league.

Should you put him spotting-up in the corner most game ignoring his real strenght?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmNOsAkWYAAYFVv.jpg

Also, the only reason Kawhi isn't on par w/ Carmelo is b/c he doesn't get calls.

SpursBig3s
07-13-2016, 11:08 PM
ridiculous

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-14-2016, 12:01 AM
I have noticed this a bit, too (since his move to ESPN)..i liked the more detached analyst hat he wore in Grantland..now, he's starting to become a borderline "embedded" writer for teams that gives him the quote/access (Warriors/Thunder (Presti in particular)/Bulls etc..)r ..he is still good read overall but this is such a sloppy passage on the spurs, and as you said, he would have probably avoided mailing it in if he wwas hobnobbing with our higher-ups/executives on regular basis..(in one podcast he raved about how it was easy for him to ask for GSW players to go out for dinner with him during the finals)

I have listened to and read everything Zach has put out for about the past 5 years and he doesn't have a bias against the Spurs, or for anyone else for that matter. He even mocks himself when he sounds biased.

IMHO Spurs did about the best they could in a very tough FA period. 2016-17 will be a consolidation and learning year. So be it.

z0sa
07-14-2016, 01:30 AM

Yep. More uncertainties going forward than at any point in recent Spurs history.

FromWayDowntown
07-14-2016, 11:02 AM
Yep. More uncertainties going forward than at any point in recent Spurs history.

That was always going to be true in the immediate aftermath of TD's retirement.

What is truer now than I think most ever expected is that the Spurs don't have to immediately go to the bottom in order to get back to competitiveness post-TD. For all of the uncertainties, they do appear to have a cornerstone and a solid sidekick (as well as Pop for a bit at least), which is far more than I think most of us expected them to have a few years ago (2009 or 2010) when projecting life after the Duncanpocalypse came.

tmtcsc
07-14-2016, 11:51 AM
To call the Spurs losers in Free Agency was pretty inaccurate. As others have mentioned, they were able to get 1 of the 2 people they targeted and filled an immediate need. I'd call that a success.

I'd like to see them add another experienced (I didn't say old or has-been) point guard.

playbonner15
07-14-2016, 12:08 PM
Well, if Gasol gets sidelined (higher risk of injuries because of his age), then there's gonna be little hope for a title, unless FO can sign an amazing backup (who???).........

z0sa
07-14-2016, 05:23 PM
That was always going to be true in the immediate aftermath of TD's retirement.

What is truer now than I think most ever expected is that the Spurs don't have to immediately go to the bottom in order to get back to competitiveness post-TD. For all of the uncertainties, they do appear to have a cornerstone and a solid sidekick (as well as Pop for a bit at least), which is far more than I think most of us expected them to have a few years ago (2009 or 2010) when projecting life after the Duncanpocalypse came.

I own a positive outlook. At the same time, I think it's going to take another big jump for Kawhi for us to be legit contenders considering the Bay Area's bevy of bonafide ballers.