PDA

View Full Version : Duncan says "I could probably still play," but "I started not enjoying myself."

Amuseddaysleeper
07-13-2016, 10:18 PM
That really really sucked to hear :depressed

At least he retired at the right time, but I figured he retired because his knee wouldn't allow him to, not because his love for the game faded.

Either way, all the best to him and I hope he enjoys retirement, the man deserves it.

Juan
07-13-2016, 10:21 PM
RC confirmed that Tims "good knee" blew up in January and they couldn't ever get it to recover. He also said he believes Tim would still be playing if it weren't for his good knee blowing up this season.

GSH
07-13-2016, 10:22 PM
That's so cool. Nobody gets any guarantees on how many years they have. He's got enough money. Nice to see someone who can walk away from more.

Honestly, he didn't look like he was having such a good time last year.

RC confirmed that Tims "good knee" blew up in January and they couldn't ever get it to recover. He also said he believes Tim would still be playing if it weren't for his good knee blowing up this season.

LOL... yeah, what the hell does Tim know about the real reason why he retired?

testies
07-13-2016, 10:23 PM
source?

GSH
07-13-2016, 10:25 PM
source?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17056716/tim-duncan-san-antonio-spurs-says-playing-fun-anymore

Juan
07-13-2016, 10:26 PM
That's so cool. Nobody gets any guarantees on how many years they have. He's got enough money. Nice to see someone who can walk away from more.

the two are mutually exclusive dumbo. He wasnt having as good of a time because of injuries and the fact that they limited his overall production.

tonight...you
07-13-2016, 10:27 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17056716/tim-duncan-san-antonio-spurs-says-playing-fun-anymore
It1 can't be fun when you can't do the things you could do anymore. To know that you could be a detriment to the team, although you could still "play".
I understand him. I don't blame him. I hope he stays around to keep his aura around the team, but I won't blame him if he doesn't.

J_Paco
07-13-2016, 10:29 PM

His knees both being shot is probably what made his enjoyment wane. It can't be easy to play on two bad knees, a reduced role and be the level of athlete he once was. And he has time, money and 2 great kids to spend both with, now. So, it makes sense to walk away now especially if he wanted to avoid a "retirement tour."

source?

Yeah, I would love to hear or read R.C. dishing out that much "family business" to any media. That would be quite out of character.

spurtech09
07-13-2016, 10:31 PM
Well things happen for a reason......Wish Tim Duncan the best...

GSH
07-13-2016, 10:34 PM
He wasnt having as good of a time because of injuries and the fact that they limited his overall production.

Ummm... are you looking at the same article?

His knees both being shot is probably what made his enjoyment wane.

Holy shit... there must be another article. Does your article say anything about Damian Lillard?

Ron Swanson
07-13-2016, 10:37 PM
Tim made a comment on his knees during his interview today, too. I think it had something to do with the reason he wasn't enjoying it anymore.

z0sa
07-13-2016, 10:38 PM
the two are mutually exclusive dumbo. He wasnt having as good of a time because of injuries and the fact that they limited his overall production.

That's not how you use mutually exclusive dumbo

J_Paco
07-13-2016, 10:47 PM
Holy shit... there must be another article. Does your article say anything about Damian Lillard?

What the fuck are you getting on about? I never said anything about Lillard and his chances of coming to San Antonio are 0 to none.

Anyway, if you add everything up that has been speculated - by even the webmaster of this here site, shithead - these last 6 months about the health of his knees and what Duncan says in his interview about losing "desire/love/enjoyment" then it comes together. Same thing that happened to Barkley, Ewing, Olujawon and O'Neal when their (old) bodies gave up on them.

I think I found the podcast where R.C. speaks about why Timmy is calling it quits. The truth, like most things, probably is somewhere in the middle:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://art19.com/shows/vertical/episodes/624b7b1a-0609-47b9-97ce-e025e02f36d5&ved=0ahUKEwjsuqvhg_LNAhXG1h4KHRF9DoMQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNEFVNk35pksogrVF9JUzGfR_L9CBg&sig2=TPwzwBSyu3PylhgaTTdOsw

thispego
07-13-2016, 10:51 PM
It didn't look like a lot of fun getting dunked on and manhandled by Adams in the semi finals

J_Paco
07-13-2016, 10:55 PM
It didn't look like a lot of fun getting dunked on and manhandled by Adams in the semi finals

No, it didn't. Reminded of that time that idiot Ryan Hollins put in a tip - dunk over Timmy and proceeded to yell in Timmy's face as if he had won a championship. That was one of Timmy's least productive playoff runs and that bum Hollins got the better of him (only in that moment). You could see it bothered him a bit and pissed me the fuck off.

GSH
07-13-2016, 11:02 PM
Well what do you know. There really was another article.

"Once my knees started to hurt, the game really wasn't fun for me anymore. That happened about 7 years ago. But what really made me decide to quit was when I found out that they were bringing in Damian Lillard to be the new me. And why? Just because he has two good knees? I thought when I turned Pop against Gary Neal my job was safe. Now I find out Pop was secretly happy to see me retire. I just wish that bitch Amy hadn't talked me out of going to Orlando."

Amazingly, that one article summed up all the stupid shit posted here today.

kxs783kms
07-13-2016, 11:17 PM

"Once my knees started to hurt, the game really wasn't fun for me anymore. That happened about 7 years ago. But what really made me decide to quit was when I found out that they were bringing in Damian Lillard to be the new me. And why? Just because he has two good knees? I thought when I turned Pop against Gary Neal my job was safe. Now I find out Pop was secretly happy to see me retire. I just wish that bitch Amy hadn't talked me out of going to Orlando."

I see my recent post made your comment. Thanks dude!!! :toast

ElNono
07-13-2016, 11:25 PM

thanks for sharing, will repost to ESPN

J_Paco
07-13-2016, 11:32 PM

No one in this thread is making up absurd statements about Lillard or whatever nonsense you keep on about.

R.C. Buford, the GM of the team that has a 16 or 17 year relationship with Timmy, stated (paraphrasing) "that once the good knee went south, it was difficult for him" in the very podcast (that has it's own thread) that I llnked to. Obviously, Timmy had a varity of reasons to quit and his healthy is likely one of them.

But sure, we'll just go with your premise that he retired solely because of a lack of "passion/love/interest." He has never used injuries as an excuse, so of course he won't now that he is ready to lesve the game behind.

If you want to take only what Tim says at face value, fine, but there is nothing wrong with the rest of us "reading between the lines."

SAGirl
07-13-2016, 11:51 PM
It makes sense that it would stop being fun when he wasn't performing at a level that was acceptable for him. That RC interview where he mentions how perfectionist Tim was with himself and the standards he set for himself. It stopped being fun when it turned into a struggle IMO.

Spurtacular
07-13-2016, 11:51 PM
He wasn't enjoying it as much b/c playing through age and injury is tough when you're wanting to do more (even if you're contributing). I think the knee took him below a threshold. This had to be especially hard on him in the low post. He was getting pushed around when he was an anchor right before that.

At the start of the year, he and LMA had brilliant high low play. That was just not there in the playoffs due to the knee. So, when he says he can still play (probably) he means he can contribute but that the knee did not get back to a point that he liked. Personally, I think he should've came back and just sat out the few months and then seen if he could or couldn't recover. It seemed too early to say for sure.

SpursFan86
07-13-2016, 11:56 PM
I don't get the argument going on here. Is it really that crazy to think that part of why Duncan wasn't enjoying himself as much is because his one good knee got injured and he never fully recovered? I don't think anyone is necessarily saying that the sole reason he wasn't enjoying himself was injury...just that Duncan not being able to get healthy likely affected his enjoyment of basketball. Hell, the guy even specifically said "the truth is probably somewhere in the middle".

This seems like an incredibly stupid argument to be having, even by SpursTalk standards :lol

rastaspur
07-13-2016, 11:58 PM
It1 can't be fun when you can't do the things you could do anymore. To know that you could be a detriment to the team, although you could still "play".
I understand him. I don't blame him. I hope he stays around to keep his aura around the team, but I won't blame him if he doesn't.

This is true for the most part.

However, there are exceptions to the rule. I cant have sex like i used to. My lung capacity sucks. Ive had asthma attacks from losing my breath. As an 18 year old i wouldnt run out of physical steam.

Still love it as much. Just let my lady get all sweaty and out of breath while i lay there all chill and occassionally spank her. For myself, adaptation is primarily driven by convenience and the path of least resistance.

kobyz
07-14-2016, 01:56 AM
Last two years were so cursed, with spurs couldn't win any close game, with many unforced mistakes by pop to waste the season, it's got into him...

gilmor
07-14-2016, 02:07 AM
That's not how you use mutually exclusive dumbo

mutually inclusive..

spursgu
07-14-2016, 02:13 AM
I don't get the argument going on here. Is it really that crazy to think that part of why Duncan wasn't enjoying himself as much is because his one good knee got injured and he never fully recovered? I don't think anyone is necessarily saying that the sole reason he wasn't enjoying himself was injury...just that Duncan not being able to get healthy likely affected his enjoyment of basketball. Hell, the guy even specifically said "the truth is probably somewhere in the middle".

This seems like an incredibly stupid argument to be having, even by SpursTalk standards :lol

GSH is just an emotional weirdo. He gets riled up about the most trivial things on here.

daslicer
07-14-2016, 02:25 AM
GSH is just an emotional weirdo. He gets riled up about the most trivial things on here.

:lol GSH is the same idiot who got emo in the "Draymond is overrated thread"and randomly got butt hurt when I didn't agree with him on Draymond being a superstar. He defended Draymond like he played for the Spurs.

Obstructed_View
07-14-2016, 04:41 AM

Jesus, dude. Grow up. The only one being stupid in this thread is you. Duncan's good knee was fucked up for the last half of the season. There are multiple sources. Hell, all you had to do was pay a little bit of attention. And Duncan wouldn't focus on his body failing him, and you know it. In a few years he might acknowledge that the wheels fell off, but nobody with a lick of sense expects him to right now. Quit being a twat.

spursgu
07-14-2016, 04:51 AM
:lol GSH is the same idiot who got emo in the "Draymond is overrated thread"and randomly got butt hurt when I didn't agree with him on Draymond being a superstar. He defended Draymond like he played for the Spurs.

He also had a meltdown years ago and started a thread about how he stopped watching basketball because of some bad calls. :lol. He's always been a cry baby bitch

cutewizard
07-14-2016, 05:47 AM
http://airalamo.com/2016/07/13/popovichs-promise-tim-duncan/

mosdef17
07-14-2016, 07:42 AM
The whole notion of not being fun anymore is probably related to the amount of work he needed to put into his knees just to get through a game. Couple that with the pain he would have been in most games and how that probably restricted how much he wanted to impact a game. You can see how the love of the game can dissipate when you're in pain playing and don't feel that your body can keep up with your mind.

GSH
07-14-2016, 08:09 AM
Jesus, dude. Grow up. The only one being stupid in this thread is you. Duncan's good knee was fucked up for the last half of the season. There are multiple sources. Hell, all you had to do was pay a little bit of attention. And Duncan wouldn't focus on his body failing him, and you know it. In a few years he might acknowledge that the wheels fell off, but nobody with a lick of sense expects him to right now. Quit being a twat.

LMAO... All this talk about his reasons for not enjoying the game are pure speculation - just like the Damian Lillard thread was 100% made up. No different. Nobody here knows if it was his knees, or if he was tired of being on the road away from his kids all the time, and in the gym the rest of the time. But some people can't admit that, because (in their minds) it would make their hero seem like a mere mortal. Go back and read all the comments in this thread from people describing just what's going on in Tim's mind, like they know him. I called bullshit. I still call bullshit. I expect that from some of the usual suspects here. You know better.

You want to read between the lines and write your own story? Put 2 and 2 together? LOL - go for it. But don't get pissed at me if I interrupt your story to point out that Tim never said that shit. You really think that he can't face saying that his knees are shot, but he might be able to face it in a few years? Seriously? LMAO - everybody already knows that. All I heard him say was that "I can still do this. I could still probably play". And that he always said that when it wasn't fun anymore, he would be done. Beyond that, you're making shit up that makes you feel better.

Here's an alternate theory: Over the years, I've heard a LOT of older athletes talk about how difficult it gets, keeping their bodies in shape every year, and how it gets to be no fun. Not because they "have bad knees, and regret not being able to perform at a high level". Just because they get tired of it. They live in fucking hotels half the time. Flying on a private jet quits being a novelty, and starts being a grind. And a lot of them... a LOT... have retired when they still had "more in the tank", and went to do something else with their lives.

But our Timmy would never to that. He loves us too much to quit when there's still a possibility of playing. :toast

Russo21
07-14-2016, 08:17 AM
Fair enough. Hard to enjoy the game when you are in constant crippling pain and your body can't do what the mind is telling it to do. He gave the Spurs all he had and then some. It was an honour following this guys career.

GSH
07-14-2016, 08:35 AM
He also had a meltdown years ago and started a thread about how he stopped watching basketball because of some bad calls. :lol. He's always been a cry baby bitch

Heh. Watching the game quit being fun for me. :D

I always get so upset when the gray-names and their alts try and dogpile me. Please, please like me. :rolleyes

tonight...you
07-14-2016, 11:12 AM
This is true for the most part.

However, there are exceptions to the rule. I cant have sex like i used to. My lung capacity sucks. Ive had asthma attacks from losing my breath. As an 18 year old i wouldnt run out of physical steam.

Still love it as much. Just let my lady get all sweaty and out of breath while i lay there all chill and occassionally spank her. For myself, adaptation is primarily driven by convenience and the path of least resistance.

Ha ha ha! Very true. :toast

Obstructed_View
07-14-2016, 04:43 PM
LMAO... All this talk about his reasons for not enjoying the game are pure speculation - just like the Damian Lillard thread was 100% made up. No different. Nobody here knows if it was his knees, or if he was tired of being on the road away from his kids all the time, and in the gym the rest of the time. But some people can't admit that, because (in their minds) it would make their hero seem like a mere mortal. Go back and read all the comments in this thread from people describing just what's going on in Tim's mind, like they know him. I called bullshit. I still call bullshit. I expect that from some of the usual suspects here. You know better.

You want to read between the lines and write your own story? Put 2 and 2 together? LOL - go for it. But don't get pissed at me if I interrupt your story to point out that Tim never said that shit. You really think that he can't face saying that his knees are shot, but he might be able to face it in a few years? Seriously? LMAO - everybody already knows that. All I heard him say was that "I can still do this. I could still probably play". And that he always said that when it wasn't fun anymore, he would be done. Beyond that, you're making shit up that makes you feel better.

Here's an alternate theory: Over the years, I've heard a LOT of older athletes talk about how difficult it gets, keeping their bodies in shape every year, and how it gets to be no fun. Not because they "have bad knees, and regret not being able to perform at a high level". Just because they get tired of it. They live in fucking hotels half the time. Flying on a private jet quits being a novelty, and starts being a grind. And a lot of them... a LOT... have retired when they still had "more in the tank", and went to do something else with their lives.

But our Timmy would never to that. He loves us too much to quit when there's still a possibility of playing. :toast

I understand your point, but I disagree. There are a lot of reports about Timmy's "good" knee breaking down, and not recovering. There are a lot of people in game threads who made the observation about it at the time, and other outside reports coincide with them. There's evidence out there, and people are putting it together to make observations, sometimes throwing in a dash of their own experiences. Some of us who are getting old understand the bitterness of aging and see that in Timmy. Nobody's theory is automatically more valuable than anyone else's. It is Tim Duncan, after all. Who really knows anything about him for sure?

The Damian Lillard thing seems like utter bullshit, and the comparison is not apt, and I thought your reaction to those offering their opinions was uncharacteristic.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-14-2016, 04:55 PM
That really really sucked to hear :depressed

At least he retired at the right time, but I figured he retired because his knee wouldn't allow him to, not because his love for the game faded.

Either way, all the best to him and I hope he enjoys retirement, the man deserves it.

The two notions are not mutually exclusive. If he no longer enjoyed it then his knees being shot likely was a major factor in that displeasure.

J_Paco
07-14-2016, 04:59 PM
Straight from the GM of the team:

"More often than not the only reason he didnt play his best at the end of the year wasnt because he was playing poorly, it was because his body was letting him down"

"A year ago, he was still All NBA when he felt good, this year the good knee got tweaked in December and it just never, we never could get it calmed down and it was that point in time where the body finally limited him to a point that he couldnt play to what he wanted to do"

"I think he fully expected to continue to play had the good knee not blown up"

So, like I said the truth lies somewhere in the middle or they are both actually telling the truth. Or I guess R.C. is "speculating" about what TD is thinking and behaving like a "fan." All his "hero worshipping" is pathetic especially the crying at the end.....

:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes

Some people need to remove that cycnical stick out of their ass and realize we are (mostly) all here cause of the Spurs and TD. He isn't immortal, a robot or a "super hero" but just a flesh - and - blood person that excelled at the heighest level in a sport and on a team we love. Nothing more, nothing less......

Obstructed_View
07-14-2016, 06:04 PM
Well, said, J.

TDfan2007
07-14-2016, 06:16 PM
Timmy is a competitor first and foremost. It's no fun putting up mediocre production (for your standards) against guys who you know you could have dominated just a few years ago.

It was obvious by his body language this season that something wasn't right, both mentally and physically. I'm just thankful that he was able to give us 19 years.

"I can still play" != "I can still play at the all-nba level that I expect from myself"

Diego20
07-14-2016, 07:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIG7OHjAXig

Duncan interview with a childhood friend.

Yuixafun
07-14-2016, 11:52 PM
Wow awesome.. much thanks for the interview link. I was smiling a lot of the time, especially about what kind of father Tim is. I also found it weird that when he described how when the Spurs won, their first Championship, he sort of didn't know how to feel, but he watched guys like Sean and Avery who had had to fight for a long time in their career to get there, so he sort of understood what it meant. Didn't mention the Admiral though.

The interview itself was alright to me.. I think the interviewer talked a bit too much and was "hokey" with it.

I did love the part about how Tim has something autographed by Dr. J... but it isn't displayed.

Tim says he keeps it in a place "where I see things."

And then I had an image, a desire, to someday have a place where I reside only for me, an inner sanctum... that has objects that I've collected in my lifetime, mementos, that I could walk by, and think back and say, that was pretty cool.

MAN! Around the 33 mark the interviewer is describing a time when some SA people came to the Islands and were witnessing how passionate the people are about sports in a bar he owns... and his is describing one young lady in particular... and he Says her name is AMY. How she would cringe when the people banged their hands down to celebrate good plays etc..

But WTF dude lol. I cringed. That's the name of Tim Duncan's recently divorced ex wife. You see Tim's demeanor slightly change, and he's like gulping for breathe and running his hands through his hair. BTW Tim Duncan's current romantic interest is there too at the table, I guess recording the interview.

TimDunkem
07-15-2016, 02:50 AM
GSH (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=1519) is just an emotional weirdo. He gets riled up about the most trivial things on here.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The guy is the biggest whiney little bitch on this forum. Strange, because he used to be more level-headed. I think he's going through a midlife crisis or something.