PDA

View Full Version : RC Buford Interview - The Vertical Podcast - Woj

siraulo23
07-13-2016, 11:15 PM
"Timmy's not walking through the door to save us anymore and now we're on our own." - R.C. Buford

houston spurs fan
07-13-2016, 11:19 PM
Powerful interview. Like Pop, RC extremely emotional about Tim's departure. Choked up at the end and they wrapped

TheGoldStandard
07-13-2016, 11:26 PM
Tim was the franchise.. Kept everything in check.. Now have to hope that Kawhi is that guy.

siraulo23
07-13-2016, 11:28 PM
Theres some good stuff here, RC saying trade discussion/roster moves most of the time happen between Pop, TD, Manu and Parker

siraulo23
07-13-2016, 11:43 PM
"More often than not the only reason he didnt play his best at the end of the year wasnt because he was playing poorly, it was because his body was letting him down"

"A year ago, he was still All NBA when he felt good, this year the good knee got tweaked in December and it just never, we never could get it calmed down and it was that point in time where the body finally limited him to a point that he couldnt play to what he wanted to do"

"I think he fully expected to continue to play had the good knee not blown up"

siraulo23
07-13-2016, 11:52 PM
RC on the Spurs pitch during TD Free Agency:

"We probably couldnt have screwed it up worse than we did"

"We focused more on trying to convince him that Orlando wasnt the place for him than we focused on who we were"

"The meeting that we shared with tim was a disaster... Pop and Timmy's relationship saved us... "

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-13-2016, 11:54 PM
If you don't already listen to the Vertical with Woj, subscribe now. Some of the best conversations with NBA insiders that you'll hear. :tu

daslicer
07-14-2016, 01:06 AM
The ending hurt just to hear RC crying. He's feeling the same pain as the fans are feeling about Duncan's retirement.

T Park
07-14-2016, 02:06 AM
That's as open as you will ever hear RC Buford.

The thing that worries me, is if there's a sentiment around the organization now of "what's the point?"

Maybe not, but I get the feeling that guys like Pop, RC, and others their fire is burning less, and if it is, that's not good at all.

biziofromdowntown
07-14-2016, 02:57 AM
Maybe not, but I get the feeling that guys like Pop, RC, and others their fire is burning less, and if it is, that's not good at all.

Same feeling here, I was wondering what's left in Pop fire after his interview on Duncan

davidbowie
07-14-2016, 02:59 AM
this was tremendous

tbdog
07-14-2016, 03:19 AM
Hearing RC break down at the end was rough. I think we all here get it, but not so much of the rest of the casual NBA fans out there. TD was not as once in a generation player. He was once in a life time. We will never see that again. Some will get close, but will fall short what TD stood for and how damn good he was.

tbdog
07-14-2016, 03:22 AM
I think those two guys, mainly RC who still has years left in the job, but no so much Pop who only has till 2020 as his most likely retirement date, they hold it to Tim to not let the fire fade. For what Tim stood for, for what he meant to the organisation, and for what he continued to build, for it to come crushing down after he leaves would be heart breaking for him.

playbonner15
07-14-2016, 04:07 AM
Wow. Felt like Duncan is gone forever or something from RC. I had to remind myself that in reality, he's just chilling in his car shop and might be playing pokemon go :lol

playbonner15
07-14-2016, 04:09 AM
But I cant shake the feeling that Pop and RC might feel like they let Duncan down........... I mean usually coaches are happy when their star players retire..... I think they were trying to convince Tim to have another go at it but he declined and decided to hang it up

siraulo23
07-14-2016, 05:10 AM
Wow. Felt like Duncan is gone forever or something from RC. I had to remind myself that in reality, he's just chilling in his car shop and might be playing pokemon go :lol

:lol

AFBlue
07-14-2016, 07:43 AM
Eff...RC losing it at the end hit me right in the feels.

notcool
07-14-2016, 08:13 AM
The whole interview nicely sums up what the spurs organization is.
It's not just 5 championships.
Sorry, KD, you never get that.

Russo21
07-14-2016, 08:28 AM
Eff...RC losing it at the end hit me right in the feels. Yep, that was brutal to hear. Amazing how TD affected the lives of those around him, and the lives of millions of us he never met. GOAT

Chillen
07-14-2016, 08:41 AM
That's as open as you will ever hear RC Buford.

The thing that worries me, is if there's a sentiment around the organization now of "what's the point?"

Yeah, I have thought about if the Spurs have a really disappointing season next year knowing Tim's not ever gonna be on the team again. On paper the Spurs should easily be a 55+ win team with the roster, but I wonder if the shadow of Tim will have an effect on the players, staff, fans, front office, etc. My guess is it will, but will it result in a disappointing season? well they have to play the games to see. A player of Duncan's caliber, character is really impossible to replace.

Chillen
07-14-2016, 08:48 AM
The whole interview nicely sums up what the spurs organization is.
It's not just 5 championships.
Sorry, KD, you never get that.

If the Warriors win it all next season it will be the most meaningless NBA title in the history of the NBA, unless you are a Warriors fan or Kevin Durant. It will be a bought NBA title. Durant winning a championship for OKC would have been a more meaningful NBA title.

SPURt
07-14-2016, 09:04 AM
Love this interview, though Woj cut bait pretty quickly after RC breaks down. Did anyone else think that was awkward?

Yuixafun
07-14-2016, 09:05 AM
It's only natural there will be a grieving process. And especially by all accounts what Tim meant to who the Spurs are today, how beloved he is, that mourning for the end of an era will be deep. But when they step back from it, it really was a triumphant career. Sure the last 2 years were disappointing, but with 5... after the pain of 6... the story had reached its epic climax. We're just so fortunate Timmy stuck around to continue to give the young core a lottle more seasoning, and enabling the Spurs to acquire Aldridge, and even Gasol in way.

It's so thorough and complete how much Timmy has given to this orginization. One man can change the world. In the right environment.

This is as great a union you will ever see in sports. We weep because everything comes to an end. I just hope we got all the joy out it we could becuase this time will never come again.

bklynspursfan
07-14-2016, 09:11 AM
I felt better after hearing/seeing TD.. And now this, it's back to :cry

rjv
07-14-2016, 09:39 AM
the one question that i have never heard asked (of pop, RC or tim) was: whether or not they thought the baton (of leadership) had been passed, and if so, to whom?

MultiTroll
07-14-2016, 10:08 AM
Theres some good stuff here, RC saying trade discussion/roster moves most of the time happen between Pop, TD, Manu and Parker
Bonner?
The Porker extension?

smh would Tim and Manu really sign off on this chit?

SpursforSix
07-14-2016, 10:21 AM

:pop: : Hey, there's a solid looking PG we need to check out. Very solid. Good passer.
Parker: :eyebrows I don't know about that guy. Hey...have you seen the great French player, Jaque Pierre? We could sign him and let him play overseas.
Manu : :rolleyes

Proxy
07-14-2016, 11:08 AM
Man.... listening to him go through the history of the team is so cool. How lucky we've been.

el contusione
07-14-2016, 11:18 AM
It is amazing to see how Pop, RC and everybody else in the Spurs org felt a responsibility to make sure Tim was put in the best position possible. Tim never demanded that. The feelings were so genuine. Nothing was forced among these guys. Tim was The San Antonio Spurs and the Spurs were Tim Duncan. I think people don't fully realize what the Spurs lost with Tim retiring.

BillMc
07-14-2016, 12:02 PM
"It'll never be onto the next, after Tim.":cry

tmtcsc
07-14-2016, 12:14 PM
I felt better after hearing/seeing TD.. And now this, it's back to :cry

No need for tears. I think the Spurs will be able to keep Tim involved with the organization in an influential capacity. I think RC termed it as a Culture Agent or Driver.

I think its important to remember that David Robinson influenced Tim as well. He came to a team where David was eager and willing to accept Tim and not get in the way or try to marginalize him. There was no power struggle like the kind you see with Harden and Howard or Durant and Westbrook. I think it meant a lot to Tim in those early years and he carried it forward.

tholdren
07-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Tim was the franchise.. Kept everything in check.. Now have to hope that Kawhi is that guy.
you're kidding, right? KL isn't even the second option in the 4th

TheDoctor
07-14-2016, 12:55 PM

I really doubt Kawhi is that guy. I mean, what I can infer watching from afar. I don't know how is Kawhi in the locker room.

mbass
07-14-2016, 01:16 PM

Kawhi is not that guy - nobody can replace the maturity, unselfishness and leadership that Timmy provided.

toki9
07-14-2016, 01:37 PM
What is really striking about this interview--and the one given by Pop--is just how obviously appreciative the player, the GM and the coach was/is of one another. Has there ever been a case like that, any franchise/sport? You occasionally see good player/coach relationships, but player/coach/GM? And over 19 years?

skulls138
07-14-2016, 01:45 PM
"It'll never be onto the next, after Tim.":cry

skulls138
07-14-2016, 01:53 PM
What is really striking about this interview--and the one given by Pop--is just how obviously appreciative the player, the GM and the coach was/is of one another. Has there ever been a case like that, any franchise/sport? You occasionally see good player/coach relationships, but player/coach/GM? And over 19 years?Tims one of a kind. To be so thorough in maintaining integrity in a league that loses it by the day, how can you not love the guy and be so thankful to be attached to him? Dont get me wrong, theyve all got integrity but you more expect it from the older generation.

SPURt
07-14-2016, 02:35 PM
These two are great friends and he knew it was time to cut it off. Also most pods usually end around that time.
What was the point of letting him sob on air for another 5-10 mins?

Those 5 seconds sums up the entire Duncan/Pop/RC experience.
I understand Woj wanted to end the interview. The awkwardness, at least to me, was the unemotional way he ended the interview like he would any podcast. Poor RC was definitely done. I just thought a little more empathy on Woj's part would've been more appropriate.

skulls138
07-14-2016, 02:50 PM
I understand Woj wanted to end the interview. The awkwardness, at least to me, was the unemotional way he ended the interview like he would any podcast. Poor RC was definitely done. I just thought a little more empathy on Woj's part would've been more appropriate.I thought so too but RC corrected him with his last statement and I bet Woj was glad he did because his intentions were probably better than the words that came out.

-21-
07-14-2016, 03:03 PM
What is really striking about this interview--and the one given by Pop--is just how obviously appreciative the player, the GM and the coach was/is of one another. Has there ever been a case like that, any franchise/sport? You occasionally see good player/coach relationships, but player/coach/GM? And over 19 years?

Tim really is one of a kind.

testies
07-14-2016, 03:08 PM
Jeez, it looks like he died or something. Relax you fucking wimp

toki9
07-14-2016, 03:08 PM
I understand Woj wanted to end the interview. The awkwardness, at least to me, was the unemotional way he ended the interview like he would any podcast. Poor RC was definitely done. I just thought a little more empathy on Woj's part would've been more appropriate.

That Buford breakdown at the end was probably both a little shocking and awkward...and, with some people, under those circumstances they go back to what is habitual...maybe that's what happened with Woj...he was probably plenty empathic inside, but he still had to hold it together for the show...

Mouth is Bleeding
07-14-2016, 04:59 PM
It was a good interview. RC emotional throughout not just the at the end I noticed.

Mouth is Bleeding
07-14-2016, 05:23 PM
One thing that for some reason that I found very surprising was RC saying Timmy had still been around the last few weeks (days?) doing his gym routines and shooting drills.

spursistan
07-14-2016, 06:01 PM
watching adult men in their late 60s choke up like some bereaved parents just shows you the magnitude this event .

Pop and RC, deep down, understands fully how this transcends the on-court part of basketball.. Such is the inimitable greatness of Timmy that he leaves behind a great foundation and promising seeds all over this franchise..The tremendous responsibility these two men feel now to keep this thing together and going without the man who made them all is why they both lost their shit in the moment...

I know it is one of the corniest lines thrown in similar circumstances, but I'm sure as hell "there will never another Tim Duncan"..And it is why this has a strangely morbid sense of death..Hopefully, not..

Sigz
07-14-2016, 09:40 PM
Man that was hard to listen to at the end.

Poor RC. That gave me the feels.

HarlemHeat37
07-14-2016, 09:43 PM
The presence of social media has allowed us to appreciate Duncan's career far more than any numbers or rings or accolades, tbh..all you have to do is show somebody all the reactions of players/coaches/front office members of the organization and it speaks volumes on the impact he had on them..

I've never seen a player command this type of reaction, IIRC..

spursistan
07-14-2016, 09:54 PM
The presence of social media has allowed us to appreciate Duncan's career far more than any numbers or rings or accolades, tbh..all you have to do is show somebody all the reactions of players/coaches/front office members of the organization and it speaks volumes on the impact he had on them..

Really amazing..aside from that naked troll Colin Cowherd , haven't heard read anything but positive words/testimonies...I mean i just you watched the praise heaped by basketball purists like Carlisle//Thibs, you can tell Duncan is undoubtedly every coach's dream, and it is not even close..

timtonymanu
07-14-2016, 09:55 PM

Yep, you could either get standing ovations from thousands of fans who you don't know or give a shit about vs having your own GM/coach cry for you and having all your teammates, former and current, show their love. It's pretty amazing how Tim's retirement has generated that kind of reaction.

SpursFan86
07-14-2016, 09:57 PM
Really amazing..aside from that naked troll Colin Cowherd , haven't heard read anything but positive words/testimonies...I mean i just you watched the praise heaped by basketball purists like Carlisle//Thibs, you can tell Duncan is undoubtedly every coach's dream, and it is not even close..

What did Cowherd say about Duncan?

timtonymanu
07-14-2016, 10:03 PM
What did Cowherd say about Duncan?

He just said Kobe had a more impactful career than Timmy and was more important and popular, also mentioning that Duncan was so boring and no one wanted to wear his shoes/jerseys/etc.

Budkin
07-15-2016, 01:11 AM
Dude, the end of that interview was brutal. And Woj is just like "welp ok thanks bye."

siraulo23
07-15-2016, 03:27 AM
Dude, the end of that interview was brutal. And Woj is just like "welp ok thanks bye."

Woj was like gtfo here RC, you aint crying on my podcast :lol

barakz21
07-15-2016, 08:55 AM
Not to sound like an asshole but it's fucked up/funny when the people who are close to Tim are sobbing/holding back tears and he's just chilling somewhere.