PDA

View Full Version : Your level of excitement for the 2016-17 Spurs and NBA?

Keepin' it real
07-14-2016, 05:17 PM
I'm wondering what your level of excitement is for the Spurs and the NBA next season.

Personally, I'm spent. I think I need a semi-break from the Spurs and the NBA, for several reasons:

Tim's retirement. Duh. I might need more than just the off-season to mourn and recover.
So many (unexciting) changes to the Spurs roster. I was sooo looking forward to seeing what Boban could do, even if he ultimately failed. It would have been fun to watch. I think many of us agree on that. Instead, the Spurs made a solid signing with Gasol. I know it's a smart deal, but as a fan, I'm more relieved than excited to have 36-year-old Pau on the roster. And Murray, while a good prospect, seems to be a long way from contributing, plus none of the other newcomers are moving the needle in terms of excitement.
The KD-to-the-Warriors fiasco has put a sour taste in my mouth. I know I'm not alone on this one. I'm not sure I want to endure a 3rd straight GSW-Lebron finals. It sucks having no one to root for.
The general state of the NBA game, specifically poor officiating. I realize this is nothing new, and I tend not to complain about the officials. But this year was worse than ever for the Spurs, with two home playoff games taken away by the refs, plus all the nonsense GSW gets away with. It's too frustrating at times, and right now is one of those times.

Look, I'm an old-timer who's been through a lot. My Spurs days extend back to the 70s and 80s, when I went to a few games at HemisFair Arena when I could afford it but mostly listened to Spurs games on the radio. I then enjoyed the Robinson days and survived the miserable playoff failures of the 90s. Then of course, the 19-year Duncan dynasty that just came to an end.

I now live outside the San Antonio market and have paid for the NBA league pass the past several years so I could watch every Spurs game. I think I'll be saving my money this upcoming season. No league pass. No new Spurs caps or T-shirts. Maybe I'll just be a normal basketball fan who starts watching the NBA in the spring.

Big Empty
07-14-2016, 05:26 PM
Fair weather fan. Take a break? Its like taking a break from breathing if u live and breath Spurs basketball.

bklynspursfan
07-14-2016, 05:28 PM
Excitement is not there due to Timmy leaving. I know once the season starts it'll change.

Maybe they can just put Duncan on the roster and put a DNP-Old or DNP-Retired so its like he never left

ElNono
07-14-2016, 05:29 PM
I want the season to start now, tbh... luckily there's some Olympics basketball to watch

Obstructed_View
07-14-2016, 05:30 PM
I feel the opposite of you, KiR. I have turned into Jerry West the last few years. The big games have stressed me out so badly that I have difficulty watching them. Nobody will be picking them to win the conference, let alone a title this year. I'm looking forward to seeing them develop young people and watching these young all-stars try to make their way. It will be nice to see a season end without a championship and not think of it as a failure.

timtonymanu
07-14-2016, 05:31 PM
Always excited to watch my Spurs. Kawhi, Danny, and Manu are my favorite players on the team right now. I just won't be as disappointed in a playoff loss or expect a championship because the expectations have dropped, imo. It's sad that we can't say win #6 for Timmy anymore.

Robz4000
07-14-2016, 05:33 PM
Very little tbh. Year after that will be a different story when/if I come to terms with Tim retiring.

dabom
07-14-2016, 05:35 PM
Fairweather fans can get the fuck out. I;m sure Duncan is excited you panzy faggots.

Richie
07-14-2016, 05:37 PM
For the NBA I don't really care. I honestly see the Warriors as a shoe in, the double whammy of getting a superstar in his prime while also crippling your biggest rival makes the season a foregone conclusion and I am uninterested in watching the inevitable.

For the Spurs I'm actually very interested. We've gone all in on youth pretty much and I want to see how the team gels together, who sticks and who we can let go. It's incredible that the down year I'm expecting for Spurs will still likely net us 50+ wins and a Top 4 seed, Spurs fans are so spoilt. We need to build a team that can lure a superstar next summer (Paul or Westbrook tbh) and compete with the Warriors going forward.

I don't see us as a legit contender which takes most of the pressure off next season, I won't let my hopes get raised too high and just enjoy the ride.

TheGreatYacht
#6 won't mean a thing without Timmy, IMO :depressed

Still excited to watch MVParker, LMAlpha, and the new guys though

spurs10
I feel the opposite of you, KiR. I have turned into Jerry West the last few years. The big games have stressed me out so badly that I have difficulty watching them. Nobody will be picking them to win the conference, let alone a title this year. I'm looking forward to seeing them develop young people and watching these young all-stars try to make their way. It will be nice to see a season end without a championship and not think of it as a failure. This makes a lot of sense to me. I'm looking forward to seeing most of their home games live and don't have championship expectations....but then again anything can happen.
:flag:

Budkin
07-14-2016, 05:38 PM
I'm at least looking forward to the inevitable failure of another superteam.

mookie2001
07-14-2016, 05:39 PM
Duncan retiring is good. It gives us flexibility and athleticism we haven't had for years.

RD2191
07-14-2016, 05:46 PM
Kawhimvp got this.

ElNono
07-14-2016, 05:49 PM
Excited to see what he got for $14m, tbh... :lol

Chinook
07-14-2016, 05:50 PM
I'm more excited than I've been since maybe 2010. Knowing your team is going to be good isn't exciting -- it makes the regular season a chore since you know only the playoffs count. This year, there is so much uncertainty and room to improve that every game might hold something interesting.

As far as the league goes, fuck it. I've never cared about most other teams, and I won't start now. I am interested in watching the Lakers, which is probably the club I see the second most of. Walton is an interesting hire for them, but I'm not sure that the Lakers aren't going to be giving Philly a top-seven pick.

cd98
07-14-2016, 06:01 PM
Spurs will take a step back this year without Tim and with a bench that is inexperienced and with losing a few veterans. I think we'll still be a top 4 team in the West, but I wouldn't act like it's just us and the Warriors. We'll still be good because we have high quality players, but how good we are depends on rapid development of our bench, which I see as being the weakest Spurs bench in years.

noles1983
07-14-2016, 06:04 PM
will do like i do every year, watch the spurs only, fuck the nba. when spurs are eliminated from playoffs, stop watching. i have zero interest in watching the same teams play in the finals 3 fucking years in a row. load of horse shit.

LongtimeSpursFan
07-14-2016, 06:05 PM
Kawhimvp got this.

Kawhi hasn't done any thing for us since he took over the team.

TrainOfThought5
07-14-2016, 06:06 PM
I'm wondering what your level of excitement is for the Spurs and the NBA next season.

Personally, I'm spent. I think I need a semi-break from the Spurs and the NBA, for several reasons:

Tim's retirement. Duh. I might need more than just the off-season to mourn and recover.
So many (unexciting) changes to the Spurs roster. I was sooo looking forward to seeing what Boban could do, even if he ultimately failed. It would have been fun to watch. I think many of us agree on that. Instead, the Spurs made a solid signing with Gasol. I know it's a smart deal, but as a fan, I'm more relieved than excited to have 36-year-old Pau on the roster. And Murray, while a good prospect, seems to be a long way from contributing, plus none of the other newcomers are moving the needle in terms of excitement.
The KD-to-the-Warriors fiasco has put a sour taste in my mouth. I know I'm not alone on this one. I'm not sure I want to endure a 3rd straight GSW-Lebron finals. It sucks having no one to root for.
The general state of the NBA game, specifically poor officiating. I realize this is nothing new, and I tend not to complain about the officials. But this year was worse than ever for the Spurs, with two home playoff games taken away by the refs, plus all the nonsense GSW gets away with. It's too frustrating at times, and right now is one of those times.

Look, I'm an old-timer who's been through a lot. My Spurs days extend back to the 70s and 80s, when I went to a few games at HemisFair Arena when I could afford it but mostly listened to Spurs games on the radio. I then enjoyed the Robinson days and survived the miserable playoff failures of the 90s. Then of course, the 19-year Duncan dynasty that just came to an end.

I now live outside the San Antonio market and have paid for the NBA league pass the past several years so I could watch every Spurs game. I think I'll be saving my money this upcoming season. No league pass. No new Spurs caps or T-shirts. Maybe I'll just be a normal basketball fan who starts watching the NBA in the spring.

I understand this. I had serious fan fatigue after the heartbreak in 2013. It seemed like the offseason FLEW by, and basketball had started again a week after our season ended. I couldnt fully engage until after december/january.

Obstructed_View
07-14-2016, 06:06 PM
Many of you are probably too young to appreciate it, but the 1997 team was fun to root for. The best player on the team for the year was Dominique Wilkins on his last legs. They played their guts out, and lost a lot, and it wasn't a horrible season. Maybe I remember it more fondly because of the way it ended, though.

Obstructed_View
07-14-2016, 06:08 PM
Excited to see what he got for $14m, tbh... :lol

What he gave you, you already got, tbh. Anything else is gravy.

lilbthebasedgod
07-14-2016, 06:08 PM
NBA has amazing officiating.

Other than that I mostly agree.

TrainOfThought5
07-14-2016, 06:09 PM
Kawhi hasn't done any thing for us since he took over the team.

Tough but fair. Im holding out hope Kawhi can take one last leap forward in development of dribbling, court vision, and passing so he can take the ball out of Parkers hands. Barring that we wont have a realistic chance at a title until we get a new PG. but Tim carried shitty teammates to a title or two, so the expectation on Kawhi is fair.

Obstructed_View
07-14-2016, 06:12 PM
NBA has amazing officiating.
They used to, that's for sure. For years I said that they're far and away the best officials in pro sports. They're fighting for third place now.

DPG21920
07-14-2016, 06:13 PM
I'm pumped! I love the NBA and I'm thrilled to see how good GS can be. I'm thrilled to see who blossoms on SA and just how good they can get. There is more youth and change than ever before and that is amazing to me (even if scary and bittersweet).

There are plenty of interesting teams (UTA, OKC with WB show, MEM, new look HOU, Boston). Plus, with what happened in FA this year (KD leaving OKC with no return on him, Wade, Horford, etc..) we may see some BLOCKBUSTER trades since teams have to face reality and worst case scenario of losing big names this next free agency without any return (Blake Griffin, Westbrook, etc..).

Dex
07-14-2016, 06:13 PM
10/10.

Just like every year.

All teams are starting 0-0. Nothing is guaranteed. Anything can happen.

Go Spurs Go.

Obstructed_View
07-14-2016, 06:14 PM
I'm pumped! I love the NBA and I'm thrilled to see how good GS can be.
You're a better person than I am. I'm going to watch, rooting for major injuries to them the whole way. :)

picnroll
07-14-2016, 06:17 PM
Probably be watching more D league games to see if/how Murray and LJC are progressing.

DPG21920
07-14-2016, 06:18 PM
You're a better person than I am. I'm going to watch, rooting for major injuries to them the whole way. :)

I get that :lol. Durant has gone full blown detachment from reality with his stupid comments "I want to be the one to put GS over the top" :lmao? They already won a title without you guy.

But, from a basketball perspective, that is going to be crazy to watch how good they can be.

picnroll
07-14-2016, 06:22 PM
I get that :lol. Durant "I want to be the one to put GS over the top"

This fool bought such a load of horseshit from the GS players. The weak mind beta is going to take so much crap from fans and players this year he's likely to fall apart.

DPG21920
07-14-2016, 06:23 PM
"I took the hard road'

"I want to be the one to put them over the top"

:lmao full on delusional and that makes me kind of hate KD

Obstructed_View
07-14-2016, 06:25 PM
Those spindly-ass knees and that brittle foot. They play Detroit twice. :)

siraulo23
07-14-2016, 06:26 PM
"I took the hard road'

:lmao

The sad thing is he probably believes its true

JR3
07-14-2016, 06:31 PM
I feel the same as OP. I too listened to the Spurs on the radio although it was when I was a little kid. I'll stay tuned to see if Pop can find a way to beat small ball with the best front court in the NBA.

SanAntonioSpurs23
07-14-2016, 06:32 PM
I'm excited to see Golden State fail.

Obstructed_View
07-14-2016, 06:32 PM
I feel the same as OP. I too listened to the Spurs on the radio although it was when I was a little kid. I'll stay tuned to see if Pop can find a way to beat small ball with the best front court in the NBA.

Hell, I still listen to the Spurs on the radio. Living in Dallas, sometimes it's the only way to know what's going on. I sometimes have to drive around to find a spot where WOAI comes in. :lol

siraulo23
07-14-2016, 06:33 PM
As for the level of excitement, its lower than last year (hyped AF after the aldridge and west signing etc...) but almost the same as any other year

I wanna see how Aldridge looks after a year in the system, is Kawhi gonna take a higher leap into his development or is his progression gonna plateau? How much will Pop utilize Gasol as a point centre in the offense? Can Anderson be a reliable playoff contributor? Are any of the young guys gonna surprise us this year?

lilbthebasedgod
07-14-2016, 06:57 PM
They used to, that's for sure. For years I said that they're far and away the best officials in pro sports. They're fighting for third place now.
The officiating is easily the best now ever since the move to to Secaucus that it ever has been. The real problem they have is with make up calls.

Mr. Body
07-14-2016, 07:08 PM
Durant setting a weenie bomb to the foundation of the league sucks, and Duncan leaving.

I'm seeing a bad several years for the NBA, like the ones as Jordan, Ewing, Olajuwon, Robinson, Stockton, Malone, Barkley, etc., were retiring or close to it, when guys like Steve Francis and Jerry Stackhouse were trying to fill the gaps. It was bad. Now we're seeing Duncan, Garnett, Kobe, Pierce, Dirk, and other go, and the young players kind of suck. Westbrook is a head case, Griffin never panned out, Davis is only pretty good, Wall and Kyrie and others, they are pretty mediocre.

We're in for some slender years. The Warriors got their timing PERFECT.

tholdren
07-14-2016, 07:22 PM
Fair weather fan. Take a break? Its like taking a break from breathing if u live and breath Spurs basketball.
Im a spurs fan, have been since the 80s. The older I get, the more these douche bags coming in to the league with no talent, and overhyped ego, ruin the game. I used to love to watch HS basketball too. I would follow it consistently, and regularly go out of my way to view a certain matchup, with hours of driving. I would scout, but I really just loved watching the game. Any more with the garbage ball that is being allowed by HS coaches, college coaches, and nba coaches, the game itself is just not fun to watch. Sad that the players and the aau teams have more pull than a high school coach. I completely stopped watching hs basketball after 30+ years of watching a couple of years ago. I don't have time for the WWE or some fucking E! reality show, but this is what the nba is become. Started in hs, college still has some of the reins pulled in, nba is a joke. Probably give the spurs 2-3 more years. Once manu leaves, there is no character on this team.

Who on SA can lead?
Parker - low character guy
KL - not a team leader
LMA - proven soft and stupid
Green - we be clubbing
Patty- not skilled doesn't take game seriously enough
Pau - WTF
Anderson - not skilled enough
Simmons - not skilled enough

Great run by SA. Cant keep up with the culture of the game and the fans.

tholdren
07-14-2016, 07:25 PM
"I took the hard road'

"They're not going to get up at 9 o'clock in the morning and work on their game for me. I've got to do all of that on my own."

And you wanted this workhorse to come to SA? LOL only spurstalk

TXstbobcat
07-14-2016, 07:29 PM
It will be tough at the beginning of the season without Timmy but I will be excited for the Spurs season opener.

Im excited to see Gasol play for the Spurs and also to see LMA after a year in the Spurs system.

JR3
07-14-2016, 08:18 PM
Hell, I still listen to the Spurs on the radio. Living in Dallas, sometimes it's the only way to know what's going on. I sometimes have to drive around to find a spot where WOAI comes in. :lol
That's dedication!

baseline bum
07-14-2016, 08:21 PM
I hate July, waiting until October to see a real basketball game again (fuck the Olympics and the NCAA). I don't think the Spurs are title contenders but I still can't wait to see them play again. Talk about some spoiled fans, this team is still really likely to win 50 games and has a lot of talent. Not as much as the Warriors, Cavs, or Clippers, but I think it should still be a pretty awesome season.

HarlemHeat37
07-14-2016, 08:24 PM
Same as the past 2 seasons, tbh, nothing has really changed..Tim is my favorite player of all-time, but it's not as if his retirement was unexpected or shocking..

Like Chinook said, I like the uncertainty factor..it'll be interesting to watch all the unknowns on the bench and seeing if any of them can step up and become legitimate..

As for the rest of the league, I've never been a "only watch my team" type, so nothing changes in that regard..it's good to have a "villainous" team to cheer against, I haven't had one since the Lakers..

Seventyniner
07-14-2016, 08:24 PM
I'm as excited as always. Perhaps more so because of the uncertainty; this team has a pretty high ceiling but a lower floor than we've seen in a while. We won't know the effect Duncan's absence has on team chemistry until we see it first-hand.

I don't really care about the Warriors, I think I watched a handful of minutes of GS that weren't against the Spurs last year, and that includes the playoffs.

All Mighty Janitor
07-14-2016, 08:39 PM
It's decently high. I want to see: if Kawhi can take the leap, how well Murray does, where our defense is for future Championship runs, progress of other interesting players, and how far we go in the playoffs. Definitely more stuff. I like basketball :fro

alpha_HaZE
07-14-2016, 08:44 PM
Tim's Retirement, duh :(

Boban was fun to watch, but couldn't stay on the floor against the right small ball team. Good for reg. season, sucks for playoffs.

KD 2 Warriors, I really don't mind it as much. We did something similar last year, and if you ask me the big banger would have been useful again OKC, don't you think? They added KD, but depleted their bench. Oh and Curry is injury prone. And Iguodala's back needs some care as well. When you have major worries going into an NBA season, you can't be that much better than anyone else. For a short stretch they will play amazing basketball, but can they sustain it? And if yes, will they have enough gas to go all they way?

Regarding officiating, I am pretty sure the NBA is pissed at KD and the warriors and may want to send a message to them via officiating. I can easily see them wanting the #2 seed to beat the warriors. Right now, there are 4 teams for that #2 spot, at least in my mind; Spurs, Clippers, Blazers, and Grizzlies. I think at the end it will boil down to us and LA Clippers.

GSH
07-14-2016, 09:03 PM
Last year I was more excited than I could ever remember being for the Spurs' regular season to start. LMA, West, and Boban in addition to the Spurs' core? It was the best offseason ever - at least since Timmy, and we really didn't understand just how good he would be then.

This year? I'd just like to know who's actually going to be on the roster. Take your time in camp, guys, and tell us that a bunch of the new players are exceeding expectations. Maybe that will get me more excited for the season to roll around.

I just want Golden State to bomb out in the first round, and to see all the analysts scratching their heads. Anything beyond that would be a bonus.

spursreport
07-14-2016, 09:08 PM
I get that :lol. Durant has gone full blown detachment from reality with his stupid comments "I want to be the one to put GS over the top" :lmao? They already won a title without you guy.

But, from a basketball perspective, that is going to be crazy to watch how good they can be.

They are the new 2013-2014 Denver Broncos led by 2 Peyton Mannings. Their downfall is inevitable.

ceperez
07-14-2016, 09:18 PM
meh

Floyd Pacquiao
07-14-2016, 09:19 PM
With Timmy retiring I feel as if basketball doesn't even matter to me anymore.

SAGirl
07-14-2016, 09:20 PM
Nice original thread.

Don't care about the league.

I like to watch team dynamics and this year there are a lot of young players coming into the team at the same time which makes it exciting. I also look forward to watch Pop's coaching, it will be a challenge for him.

In the starting lineup, I look forward to seeing how the chemistry develops with Pau/LMA/Kawhi.

But the most interesting for me is the bench. I want to see what he has in mind for Kyle/Jon together with Manu/Mills/Dedmon/Bertans and Co.

Manu might actually have to work for his contract after all.

I look forward to Kyle having a great year this season too. He needs to step it up and I believe that he will. There will be more lobs thrown this season than previously and quite a few oops. It will be fun.

8FOR!3
07-14-2016, 09:22 PM
I'm a little scared of having a Tim Duncan hangover, but hoping that the team is talented enough to keep that from happening. The most underrated signing in my eyes this offseason for us was Dewayne Dedmon.

GSH
07-14-2016, 09:31 PM
The most underrated signing in my eyes this offseason for us was Dewayne Dedmon.

I want to bump this thread in December and give you credit for being right about that. That would be big. I'm pretty sure he'll be fine, for a backup C. But I would love to see him flourish here, and make you look like Nostradamus.

SuperCam
07-14-2016, 09:39 PM
Warriors do not have the big men or rim defense to win a title, the King is gonna repeat mark my words.

spurs will be fine. only 6 losing seasons since the merger and 1 in the last thirty years. From GG to Drob to Timmy and now LMA, spurs have been very lucky the last 40 years to have a mvp caliber player on the roster, tbh

MultiTroll
07-14-2016, 10:13 PM
Spurs - snoozerish. I'm sure they will win 50+ again and enter the playoffs.
But with opponents having coaching the likes of Doc Rivers and Billy Donovan, the ending will be the same. Maybe Pop n Parker will get injured and miss the playoffs.

NBA I definitely want to see how Boban does.
Golden Phaggots lots can still happen like injuries.
Completely sick of refs bias towards Spurs.
Maybe now that the Greatest has retired they will let up.
Want to see where Westbrook ends up.

Yuixafun
07-14-2016, 10:30 PM
We'll see the hungriest Spurs team since 14... but that was a dark kind of hunger, tormented and haunted, with the pain of 13. Which is why in the end it produced such breathtaking beauty. Because of the anguish, it's a doorway to some other world. They were playing for their salvation.

This team will have more of that exhuberence and gusto GS had a couple years ago. Also the Spurs will be playing with a chip on their shoulder, to prove to the City and the NBA that there is life after Duncan.

Year 1 AD might also finally at least subconciously allow a certain individual in himself to say it's alright to be the man now.

BD24
07-14-2016, 10:39 PM
Meh. Feel like it will be a pretty boring season. Spurs will probably be second round fodder, possibly make the conference finals if they can avoid Golden State. Will lose to GS in the conference finals anyway though.

Another Lebron/Warriors finals.

sananspursfan21
07-14-2016, 10:41 PM
My only excitement comes from uncertainty. Most seasons we know that a long playoff run is a likelihood. This season's roster could do anything imho. I can see anything from a 4-5th seed losing in the first/second round to winning it all (with a lot of luck, kawhi's progression, and Aldridge getting more comfortable in the system and not choking). It'll be fun, I'm trying to buck the Timmy Blues here...

SnakeBoy
07-14-2016, 11:26 PM
Im a spurs fan, have been since the 80s. The older I get, the more these douche bags coming in to the league with no talent, and overhyped ego, ruin the game. I used to love to watch HS basketball too. I would follow it consistently, and regularly go out of my way to view a certain matchup, with hours of driving. I would scout, but I really just loved watching the game. Any more with the garbage ball that is being allowed by HS coaches, college coaches, and nba coaches, the game itself is just not fun to watch. Sad that the players and the aau teams have more pull than a high school coach. I completely stopped watching hs basketball after 30+ years of watching a couple of years ago. I don't have time for the WWE or some fucking E! reality show, but this is what the nba is become. Started in hs, college still has some of the reins pulled in, nba is a joke. Probably give the spurs 2-3 more years. Once manu leaves, there is no character on this team.

Who on SA can lead?
Parker - low character guy
KL - not a team leader
LMA - proven soft and stupid
Green - we be clubbing
Patty- not skilled doesn't take game seriously enough
Pau - WTF
Anderson - not skilled enough
Simmons - not skilled enough

Great run by SA. Cant keep up with the culture of the game and the fans.

How old are you? I'm 49, old enough to sometimes feel like everything used to be better than it is now but still young enough to know it isn't so. Just wondering how long I have before I start bitching about "these kids nowadays".

Obi Juan Kenobi
07-14-2016, 11:27 PM
Curious to see how the rookie Euros and Gasol integrate into the team...

Mnky
07-15-2016, 02:30 AM
I'm pretty excited to see the development of the new kids. They all look promising. The way they are at the beginning of the year versus the end will be big. This makes it exciting since we will see how they adapt. Kawhi and lma will be better and pau is an upgrade. Danny shouldn't play as bad. Tony should be less of a focal point with Gasol around. It should be fun.

Spurtacular
07-15-2016, 05:40 AM
My 'excitement' is down. I'll probably cut my package from league wide to five teams or the one team option.

DrSteffo
07-15-2016, 06:23 AM
My excitement level is at medium. It will be nice to see what Gasol can do. No great hopes for the youngsters. Kyle was a disappointment in the playoffs and Murray seems selfish and a couple of years away from contributing. Timmy will be missed of course. But it is what it is and they did the best they could. We have three stars one of them is still improving, so t could be a lot worse.

Obstructed_View
07-15-2016, 07:34 AM
The officiating is easily the best now ever since the move to to Secaucus that it ever has been. The real problem they have is with make up calls.

It's far worse than it's ever been, and it's not even close. They leave any questionable call to review, they can't do make-up calls, which compounds the problem, and they can't do simple things like overlook a foul but intentionally call an out of bounds play wrong. The block/charge calls now are so bad that it's a coin flip on which way they'll call it, so nobody bothers to try to block shots at all anymore, and players are happy to step up under a guy in the air and take their chances. Now the last two minutes of a game take an extra ten minutes because they keep having to check the video. It's fucking awful.

Obstructed_View
07-15-2016, 07:36 AM
That's dedication!

Nah, I'm just really cheap. Fuck the NBA for trying to force me to pay for audio league pass. It's a digital stream of a land phone leaned against a radio speaker.

John B
07-15-2016, 08:44 AM
It would be sweet for the Spurs to once again break a super team. It would be nice with Duncan on it, and I'm hoping that he could come back in March on a min vet salary for one last stint before riding off the sunset. That would be awesome. :flag:

spurspokesman
07-15-2016, 11:36 AM
As a fan of the way the NBA used to be I am rapidly losing interest in this soft ass league. I can only watch the spurs nowadays tbh

mexicanjunior
07-15-2016, 11:52 AM
Meh...this current roster doesn't even look like a playoff team. The frontcourt is LMA, Gasol and a bunch of D-Leaguers. Manu stealing 14 million this year is a joke.

Maddog
07-15-2016, 11:57 AM
I'm moderately excited and very curious.
I've been a Spurs fan forever. I've also seen plenty of contenders come and go to know one can never be 100% certain (Remember some pundits had the Rockets in the finals....). It was inevitable that the team would eventually have to rebuild- but somehow they are rebuilding while being an outside contender.
I'm really curious about our new rookies, Kawhis progression etc. Is Dedmon a player etc....

The only thing that dampers my enthusiasm is the bigger picture- The whole super team concept. Look at it- the Spurs have 3 players who where all stars last year. The MVP runner up. An excellent role player in DG- yet despite all this they are at best an outside shot to win it all...

I think this will even out as we get settled into the new money-but right now.....

DontStopBelieving
07-15-2016, 12:05 PM
Meh...this current roster doesn't even look like a playoff team. The frontcourt is LMA, Gasol and a bunch of D-Leaguers. Manu stealing 14 million this year is a joke.

:lol

BOHOLANO#21
07-15-2016, 01:39 PM
I approach each NBA season since TD played for the Spurs like we always have a good shot at the title. The addition of Gasol made me believe we still have a shot at the trophy even with the retirement of TD. Go Spurs Go!

HankChinaski
07-15-2016, 01:58 PM
I will watch the olypmc games then preseason NFL and reg season nfl till about late September. About this time NBA training camps begin and I only have enough time and energy I am willing to spend on one sport and that is basketball.

I can't wait and this season is no exception

SpursforSix
07-15-2016, 02:01 PM
It's just like one of many past seasons. Spurs aren't favored to win but they are certainly in the mix. Excited just like every year. Excited to see if KL keeps improving. Excited to see if LMA fits in the scheme a little better. Excited to see what the new faces can do and if they have a promising future. Excited to see what Pau brings.

It's not like having to be a Mavs fan or anything.

HankChinaski
07-15-2016, 02:14 PM
The only thing that dampers my enthusiasm is the bigger picture- The whole super team concept. Look at it- the Spurs have 3 players who where all stars last year. The MVP runner up. An excellent role player in DG- yet despite all this they are at best an outside shot to win it all...

I think this will even out as we get settled into the new money-but right now.....

The Durant and Golden State nuptials haven't sold me on them being a super team. Iggy is a year older, the bench loss key cogs that made them dangerous in at 48 min regulation game. They added some depth to the bench but they are very top heavy lineup and defensively I feel they dropped in overall defense. They were just one win away from going back to back. It was an epic choke job. If they come back this season like the Spurs did in 2014 then that's a different story. I don't see them in that mold of the 2014 Spurs though.

Spurs have a favorable opportunity to be NBA Champions. It just isn't a for sure thing. Neither is GS by all looks.

daslicer
07-15-2016, 02:18 PM
I think the Spurs will have a season very similar to what the the '93-'94 bulls had after MJ retired the first time. That season for the bulls had a lot of highs and lows and they still managed to win 55 games.The bulls had new additions in Kukoc,Kerr,Longley but still had a bunch of holdovers from the three peat championship teams. Scottie Pippen elevated his game to MVP status during that season. I think Kawhi and LMA will play even better this upcoming season. I look forward to seeing how some of these young guys develop this year. It's going to be interesting to see how guys deal with the adversity of not having Duncan much like the bulls had to deal with not having MJ during the '93-'94 season. The odds are not in favor of the spurs winning a title this year but I think this year will be a bridge year for the future.

The Spurs will have this type of season
_2D8lZ4JSXs&index=4&list=PLRrcq1PQaNXtJrlZIxpZZOmhevi6BOBu6

tholdren
07-15-2016, 02:18 PM
How old are you? I'm 49, old enough to sometimes feel like everything used to be better than it is now but still young enough to know it isn't so. Just wondering how long I have before I start bitching about "these kids nowadays".
About the same - It depends on your expectations of the game. If you continue to lower your standards so today's nba play and players are highly skilled and high character - more power to you.

John Petrucci
07-15-2016, 02:21 PM
While I'm not sure if our record will be all that great or if we'll have much playoff success, I do think the team could give us a lot more athletic highlights than we've seen in a long time. Guess it depends on who Pop is giving decent minutes to. How many good dunkers do we have now? Kawhi, Simmons, Murray, Dedmon, looks like Bertans can get up too.

Keepin' it real
07-15-2016, 02:24 PM
I understand what many of you are saying about being eager to see what the young Spurs players can do. And believe me, I join you in hoping Bertans quickly becomes Korver 2.0, that Archie becomes Scott Skiles 2.0, etc. Ironically, I've been anticipating this transition for awhile, but now that it's here, I'm like "Oh, crap."

Maybe it's because I'm going through my annual summer sports depression (no offense to those who are clinically depressed.) I'm all about NFL, NCAA football and the NBA. So every year, from the time the Spurs stop playing until the first regular season football game in late August/early September, I go into a big-time funk. This year, the funk is worse due to the points I mentioned in my original post.

HankChinaski
07-15-2016, 02:55 PM
Pop is the big question mark for me. He seems like the kind of person to stick to his word and will finish out his career until Aldridge current contract ends. But coaching one team and with one player for so long 19 with Duncan twenty plus now this season with the Spurs. I don't blame the man for not being laser focus like 2014 these last two seasons. It's amazing to do the work he does day in and out with the Spurs after two decades. I only know a enough people I can count on one hand that show that level of commitment to something they do for a living at the same place doing the same thing over and over year in and out.

Look at other NBA coaches resumes very few have careers in one place and with the accomplishments that he has had so far. Jerry Sloan is the most recent one that comes to mind. He ran a team for the longest time I loathe the Spurs to go up against. F'ing Malone, Stockton, Hornacek, Bryon Russell, Ostertag, names and faces that come to mind when I think of that team. Countless playoffs yet the mailman could never deliver.

I don't know

What will motivate him now like 2014? Without Duncan there, is that a challenge enough for himself? Winning without Duncan.

What else does he feel he needs to prove. I don't feel like he does for himself. He definitely doesn't care for the opinions of the media, only his peers.

Mostly a rant now. But I like Pop as the head coach still. Yes he creates hair pulling moments much like a family member that continues to drive you crazy yet you still continue to root for them.

xellos88330
07-15-2016, 02:57 PM
I am always excited for the Spurs. Plain and simple. Spurs or die bitches.

poeticism707
07-15-2016, 02:57 PM
0 excitement post TD...

JR3
07-15-2016, 04:31 PM
Nah, I'm just really cheap. Fuck the NBA for trying to force me to pay for audio league pass. It's a digital stream of a land phone leaned against a radio speaker.
I feel ya. I'm in Utah so I a gotta pay for the full one team league pass...I chalk it up to Utah cost of living.

Obi Juan Kenobi
07-15-2016, 10:51 PM
It's not like having to be a Mavs fan or anything.

LOL you're right it could be worse...

cutewizard
07-15-2016, 11:08 PM
Bertans, the Larry Bird of the Spursssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Riga time! Yihaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaa!!!!

cutewizard
07-15-2016, 11:09 PM
I like Murray, too, my gawd, in the SL

Gasol of Earth at center, Lamarcus of America and Kawhi of the Milky Way at forwards

Green Lantern and Murray at guards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh my god,

TRADE PARKER NOW!

Old School 44
07-16-2016, 07:27 AM
Looking forward to it. Can't wait to see the young guns, Murray, Bertans and Forbes. Hopefully, they get time during the regular season to develop. Also, want to see how well Anderson and Simmons have progressed. They have put in a lot of work this off season. I really like the young assets the Spurs are developing, even if they don't stay with the Spurs long term, I'm sure the FO can find ways to use them in trade packages. I'm an old schooler too, as much as I'll miss TD, life moves on...and so will the Spurs. It would have been nice to see TD, Diaw, Gasol high-low action, but watching Gasol, Kawhi and Aldridge will be fun too.

Btw, I hope Westbrook stays in OKC, at least until their first game against the Warriors. That's one non-Spurs game I'd love to see. The great thing about the Warriors is if you think the Spurs were under the radar in previous years, next year is going to be even further under the radar. Waiting on ESPN to come up with some clever "Warriors Watch" page similar to the "Heat Index". Looking forward to them failing miserably.

sexinthatsx
07-16-2016, 10:38 AM
I'm honestly more excited about the dynamics of the team and the personalities rather than the actual basketball games. I am really interested in seeing how Kawhi will act now that Duncan is gone (was he putting up a quiet front the whole time, or is he going to show his true side - befriending rappers and other celebrities), if Pau Gasol will mesh into the mix, and whether there is any player to pinpoint that has that extra ounce of motivation and clutchness.

I always thought Tim Duncan staying with the team has in a sense held the team back from progressing and moving forward to a day they would play without him, and I hated myself for thinking that. But since it has happened, I wouldn't mind seeing what these young players are made of.

djohn14
07-16-2016, 10:56 AM
Of course KD to the Warriors hurts. Of course Timmy leaving puts a damper on my excitment...but I'm still excited.
I think Pau fits in great with this offense. I'm excited to see our team get an infusion of athleticism. I'm excited because we have Kawhi Leonard and LaMarcus Aldridge. I'm excited because we may be one injury away from being the best team in the West for sure...possibly the league. Theres a lot of reasons to be excited and there are a few reasons to be upset, but the good easily out weighs the bad in my opinion.

SpurPadre
07-16-2016, 12:01 PM
Of course KD to the Warriors hurts. Of course Timmy leaving puts a damper on my excitment...but I'm still excited.
I think Pau fits in great with this offense. I'm excited to see our team get an infusion of athleticism. I'm excited because we have Kawhi Leonard and LaMarcus Aldridge. I'm excited because we may be one injury away from being the best team in the West for sure...possibly the league. Theres a lot of reasons to be excited and there are a few reasons to be upset, but the good easily out weighs the bad in my opinion.

I expected more infusion of athleticism based on what Pop and RC said after OKC took us out. Dedmon and drafting Murray isn't enough to fill that void, tbh.

djohn14
07-16-2016, 12:23 PM
I expected more infusion of athleticism based on what Pop and RC said after OKC took us out. Dedmon and drafting Murray isn't enough to fill that void, tbh.

I agree, and I too expected more. But at the same time the team we really needed it for (OKC) dropped out of the title picture. Obviously Golden State scares the fuck out of me, but I think KD going there may have slowed are transition. Instead of trying to do it all in one season maybe we spread it out over the course of two now. Either way, I'm just excited the transition is beginning. We are trying to find a happy balance between skill and athleticism and thats tough to do man.

Fireball
07-16-2016, 12:25 PM
Low ... very low

Texas_Ranger
07-16-2016, 12:30 PM
2/10

Tully365
07-16-2016, 01:25 PM
Aldridge's stats improved every month last season, so I'm looking forward to seeing him start out comfortably this year as a top option.

Kawhi's the best young player in the league and has dramatically improved his shooting, ballhandling, and post skills over the years-- so it'll be exciting to watch him keep growing. Can he become a point forward? Can he average 4+ apg? That's the only category where he trails guys like Pippen, LeBron, etc.

36 yr old Pau won't be as good as 36 yr old Duncan, but he will be better than 41 yr old Duncan. He might be the best passing center in the league right now.

KA's numbers & efficiency improved dramatically between his rookie & sophomore seasons. If this trend continues for one more year, he's a legitimate bench player.

So many new players to watch-- Dedmon's D & athleticism, Murray's aggressiveness, Arcidiocono's steadiness, Forbes's shooting... If two of these exceed expectation, the Spurs are in good shape without spending very much money.

Thomas82
07-16-2016, 01:44 PM
The 2016-17 season will be interesting to say the least.

TrainOfThought5
07-16-2016, 07:06 PM

LOL yes, we definitely gotta combine the KA is Magic Johnson bandwagon with the Bertans is Larry Bird bandwagon!

BillMc
07-16-2016, 07:16 PM

BillMc
07-16-2016, 07:17 PM
I knocked over a plant.

CGD
07-16-2016, 08:53 PM
Interested in seeing what youngsters have staying power, and what other pieces can be flipped for future assets (eg Patty and Kyle). Will be watching the regular season more closely than before for that reason.

Also interested in the Manu farewell tour.

Sean Cagney
07-17-2016, 02:33 AM
Excited because this is the new look Spurs now, not a title team by any means but will be interesting to see how they can gel and play together. Excitement level 6/10, the highest would be when I was expecting or saw a title but I don't see one anytime soon with this team barring a big splash next summer.

beirmeistr
07-17-2016, 07:55 AM
Interested in seeing what youngsters have staying power, and what other pieces can be flipped for future assets (eg Patty and Kyle). Will be watching the regular season more closely than before for that reason.

Also interested in the Manu farewell tour.
has Manu stated that this is his last season?

intlspurshk
07-17-2016, 10:14 AM
Low expectation but I hope SPURS get a higher pick in next year draft which will be the most exciting part

HI-FI
07-17-2016, 11:20 PM
shit it's gotta be at least a 6/10. it will go up throughout the season.

glad that Bertans is finally coming over. want to see if Kawhi takes the next step.
i look forward to the infusion of youth and to see if some of these guys will sink or swim. really sucks to lose TD but i've always wanted MVPau on the team.
plus the Spurs are playing with house money compared to GSW.

also I think Dejante Murray is going to be really good eventually.