PDA

View Full Version : Boban

I. Hustle
07-15-2016, 11:21 AM
Why are you guys so pissed at losing him? Upset with Manu and thinking that if Manu would have taken less, we could have kept Boban. Or signing him over others.

You do realize that he isn't going to last more than a couple of years. It would take that time for him to get everything down. Then by the time he knew the Spurs system in and out, he wouldn't be able to play anymore because of his knees and feet. The guy has to have some form of gigantism and it's not going to be a long career for him. He is only going to thrive in very limited minutes and more than likely would have only ever been used in garbage time.

dabom
07-15-2016, 11:24 AM
The Spurs can afford to play their centers little time as possible. See Tiago Splitter. He would have a long career with us. Any other team is different.

TheGreatYacht
07-15-2016, 11:26 AM
Dude is in great shape and was healthy last year.

OP is just speculating.

Manu cost us Boban.

peacemaker885
07-15-2016, 11:35 AM
People just expressing their opinions and that's always a good thing. Always two sides to a coin. Manu tres!!! Can't wait for next season.

I. Hustle
07-15-2016, 11:48 AM
Dude is in great shape and was healthy last year.

OP is just speculating.

Manu cost us Boban.

I'm not saying that he is out of shape. I'm saying that his body won't hold up. Dude could barely move when he was more that 6 feet from the basket. Opposing players would just blow past him.

I like the guy. I think he's a great novelty act but he isn't going to cut it long term. I would rather pay Manu this one year and get it over with and have the money freed up next season. Signing Boban to a multiyear deal would hurt us more.

I. Hustle
07-15-2016, 11:49 AM
The Spurs can afford to play their centers little time as possible. See Tiago Splitter. He would have a long career with us. Any other team is different.

Tiago could actually move though. He helped when it was needed. Boban was mostly a garbage time player. Big difference.

dabom
07-15-2016, 11:51 AM
Tiago could actually move though. He helped when it was needed. Boban was mostly a garbage time player. Big difference.

He was impressive with the Spurs his rookie season. All time high on his production stats all year. How did Tiago do his first season?

TheGreatYacht
07-15-2016, 11:51 AM
Splitter was a garbage time player when he got here as well. Pop was stupid for not playing Boban earlier in the OKC series just like he was when he benched Tiago in 2011 against Memphis tbh

dabom
07-15-2016, 11:52 AM
I advocated Pop Play Boban in game 4. Not an elimination game for fuck's sake. :lol

I. Hustle
07-15-2016, 11:53 AM
He was impressive with the Spurs his rookie season. All time high on his production stats all year. How did Tiago do his first season?

LMAO we were also beating people by a high margin. So when he went in, he just played against other scrubs. Again, not the same.

I. Hustle
Splitter was a garbage time player when he got here as well. Pop was stupid for not playing Boban earlier in the OKC series just like he was when he benched Tiago in 2011 against Memphis tbh

Hey, I agree. Splitter was a different case in my opinion. I think that he deserved to play more when he got here.

dabom
LMAO we were also beating people by a high margin. So when he went in, he just played against other scrubs. Again, not the same.

He got a fat contract even when Pop tried to hide him. The league says otherwise.

I. Hustle
07-15-2016, 12:04 PM
He got a fat contract even when Pop tried to hide him. The league says otherwise.

The league also paid players like Manute Bol and Gheorghe Muresan. It's not like he's a sure thing just because "the league says otherwise". How many #1 picks ended up being scrubs?

cjw
07-15-2016, 12:17 PM
Manu didn't cost the Spurs Boban. Just stop. Would have been very difficult to match his deal even with the Manu deal off the books - think there was a $1 million difference in year 1 between the Boban match and Manu hold.

And I'll take Dedmon at his salary over Boban. At least he can play defense, which Boban was a total liability at.

TheGreatYacht
07-15-2016, 12:20 PM
Manu didn't cost the Spurs Boban. Just stop. Would have been very difficult to match his deal even with the Manu deal off the books - think there was a $1 million difference in year 1 between the Boban match and Manu hold.

And I'll take Dedmon at his salary over Boban. At least he can play defense, which Boban was a total liability at.
Manu did cost the Spurs Boban though. Woj said it.

I. Hustle
07-15-2016, 12:22 PM

We didn't need him though. Who cares if it costs us Boban?

I. Hustle
07-15-2016, 12:23 PM

Exactly. We needed someone that can move and keep up with opposing players.

cjw
07-15-2016, 12:24 PM

Boban cost $5.6 million to match, and Manu's hold was $4.4 million. If Spurs were willing not to bring over Bertans and LJC AND replace them with minimum salary guys, then you might have a point. But it was Boban+two min guys, or Manu+LJC+Bertans

TheGreatYacht
07-15-2016, 12:27 PM
We didn't need him though. Who cares if it costs us Boban?
We did need him against OKC though :lol

Look, this will never end. Manu fans will discredit Boban how many times it takes to convince everyone that overpaying Manu was the right choice.

I'm just saying, Boban wasn't a scrub and you have no proof that his body will fail on him when he's in incredible shape.

At the end of the day, there's no denying that Manu did indeed cost the Spurs Boban.

I. Hustle
07-15-2016, 12:33 PM
We did need him against OKC though :lol

Look, this will never end. Manu fans will discredit Boban how many times it takes to convince everyone that overpaying Manu was the right choice.

I'm just saying, Boban wasn't a scrub and you have no proof that his body will fail on him when he's in incredible shape.

At the end of the day, there's no denying that Manu did indeed cost the Spurs Boban.

It's not even the fact that I am a Manu fan or not. I didn't want Boban long term. I think he has a great personality and very fan friendly but I don't see him lasting. Just because of the way he moved while he is in incredible shape.

I think only time will. I doubt that I am wrong but if I am, I don't see it costing us a championship.

TheGreatYacht
07-15-2016, 12:36 PM
It's not even the fact that I am a Manu fan or not. I didn't want Boban long term. I think he has a great personality and very fan friendly but I don't see him lasting. Just because of the way he moved while he is in incredible shape.

I think only time will. I doubt that I am wrong but if I am, I don't see it costing us a championship.
We'll see :toast

EIC
07-15-2016, 01:33 PM
I think the frustration at seeing Boban go is that he seemed to have a lot of potential and we never really got to see where he could have taken this team if given more minutes. I think there's a certain amount of fear he's gonna go somewhere else and dominate.

Dre_7
07-15-2016, 01:38 PM

The Sixers did is what Woj said.

Spurtacular
07-15-2016, 01:41 PM
The Spurs passed on Boban before shelling out backpay for Manu. And what I read, the $9.5 M on the back end of the three year contract is allegedly the reason. That's just stupid and lacks forethought. They could trade him by then. It'd be a value by then, anyhow.

ceperez
07-15-2016, 01:41 PM
Boban cost $5.6 million to match, and Manu's hold was $4.4 million. If Spurs were willing not to bring over Bertans and LJC AND replace them with minimum salary guys, then you might have a point. But it was Boban+two min guys, or Manu+LJC+Bertans

Thanks for the clarification and the right balance of equations.

One other way to look at it is that Pau cost us Boban.

Spurs play with championship level efficiency at both ends of the court. Boban was problematic in defending the pick and roll. Against weak 2nd stringers, his presence on the court was devastating. So given that Boban is playing in the Eastern conference, he's going to cause a lot of chaos!

Which begs the question, is All-Star Boban worth half as much as aging all-star Pau?

james evans
07-15-2016, 01:42 PM
I'm still in disbelieve that we're paying a 39 year old injury proned turnover machine $14 million. Is this really happening?

Spurtacular
07-15-2016, 01:43 PM

Assuming your calculation is based on avoiding luxury tax. Boban was worth a little bit of luxury tax. Spurs cheaped out. And Boban's contract would've been great for year two, which is realistically what the Spurs should be shooting for in a mini rebuild.

Spurtacular
07-15-2016, 01:45 PM
I'm still in disbelieve that we're paying a 39 year old injury proned turnover machine $14 million. Is this really happening?

Back pay, dude. You think there wasn't some sort of understanding in place when guys like Manu were taking pay cuts so they could get certain players and make it to finals?

Though frankly, Manu is better than much of the other sh** being signed for $10 mil plus in this league.

TheGreatYacht
07-15-2016, 01:51 PM

SpursforSix
07-15-2016, 01:54 PM

He's only 34.

Yuixafun
07-15-2016, 01:57 PM
He's only 34.

hahaha... you sly dog

mexicanjunior
07-15-2016, 02:11 PM

This...Manu would have a hard time starting on the Toros at this point.

TheGreatYacht
07-15-2016, 02:12 PM
This...Manu would have a hard time starting on the Toros at this point.

Obstructed_View
07-15-2016, 02:19 PM
Why are you guys so pissed at losing him? Upset with Manu and thinking that if Manu would have taken less, we could have kept Boban. Or signing him over others.

You do realize that he isn't going to last more than a couple of years. It would take that time for him to get everything down. Then by the time he knew the Spurs system in and out, he wouldn't be able to play anymore because of his knees and feet. The guy has to have some form of gigantism and it's not going to be a long career for him. He is only going to thrive in very limited minutes and more than likely would have only ever been used in garbage time.

Dumbasses with an agenda using Boban as an excuse to shit on Manu. If Ginobili had taken even less than he did last year, the Spurs might have had a chance to match. Completely unrealistic.

Mikeanaro
07-15-2016, 02:20 PM
Lol what is so great about Boban?

Obstructed_View
07-15-2016, 02:22 PM

Splitter was a far more proven player when he came to the Spurs, and Pop didn't play him most of the year, only giving him minutes when the Spurs were getting curbstomped in the playoffs. He certainly didn't bench him.

TheGreatYacht
07-15-2016, 02:27 PM
Splitter was a far more proven player when he came to the Spurs, and Pop didn't play him most of the year, only giving him minutes when the Spurs were getting curbstomped in the playoffs. He certainly didn't bench him.
How was he far more proven? Lmao. They were both winners and MVP's in Europe.

Boban had the better first season, and it really isn't debatable.

I. Hustle
07-15-2016, 02:44 PM
We'll see :toast

:toast

TheGreatYacht
07-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Lol what is so great about Boban?
He produced on the court when called, even with scarce minutes.

In a league that's paying Jon Leuer 40M over 4 years. A guy with these numbers would've been paid 5.6M in the first year, 5.9M in the second, and 9.5M in the third:

Per-36 (measures how good his production was with limited min)
21.0Pts, 13.7Reb, 1.5Apg, 1.6Blk, 0.9Stl, 60.3FG%, 76.3FT%

Advanced
27.7PER, 66.2TS%, .325 WS/48, 3.6BPM, 21.7 TRB%

What your post should've been was....

Lol what is so great about Manu?

Mikeanaro
07-15-2016, 03:06 PM
He produced on the court when called, even with scarce minutes.

In a league that's paying Jon Leuer 40M over 4 years. A guy with these numbers would've been paid 5.6M in the first year, 5.9M in the second, and 9.5M in the third:

Per-36 (measures how good his production was with limited min)
21.0Pts, 13.7Reb, 1.5Apg, 1.6Blk, 0.9Stl, 60.3FG%, 76.3FT%

Advanced
27.7PER, 66.2TS%, .325 WS/48, 3.6BPM, 21.7 TRB%

What your post should've been was....
Nonsense, Bon Bon is a stats king too and in reality is a scrub, Boban is not bad but he is slow, Mozgov is older and faster and so Porzingis also he is turnover prone and system player lets see how well he plays in a shitty team.

tmtcsc
07-15-2016, 03:11 PM
Boban was a fan-favorite but not worth retaining at a high cost. I agree with most of what you said. Garbage time player who was not a particularly strong rebounder or defender.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-15-2016, 03:29 PM
We didn't have bird rights so Boban could not have been retained whereas we could go over the cap to sign Manu with Bird rights. Gasol was already taking a market discount so we would have had to trade Patty or something like that to keep Boban.

The anger should be at Detroit for poaching our bigs two years in a row but he deserves the money so I cannot be too mad. At least he didn't go to the Lakers or something like that.

Obstructed_View
07-15-2016, 03:33 PM

Okay. That's why he didn't get drafted, dude.

TheGreatYacht
07-15-2016, 03:48 PM
Drafted ≠ proven

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-15-2016, 04:24 PM

Tiago was way more proven than Boban. Boban has literally had only 2 years playing significant minutes at the top level, whereas Tiago was a major player on a very good, perennial Euroleague team for 5-6 years.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-15-2016, 04:33 PM

Youre back door logic here is failing. European prospects with the way the teams use contracts to leverage and the like is not a simple thing. If I remember correctly Boban lost a big chunk of change to get out of his balkan league contract before he came over.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-15-2016, 04:34 PM
Tiago was way more proven than Boban. Boban has literally had only 2 years playing significant minutes at the top level, whereas Tiago was a major player on a very good, perennial Euroleague team for 5-6 years.

Which would you rather have:

Player that takes 2 years to reach MVP level or
Player that take 5 years?

james evans
07-15-2016, 04:45 PM
He's only 34.
Ginobli aint been 34 in 5 years. 2016-1977 is not 34 in any form of math.

SpursforSix
07-15-2016, 04:59 PM
Ginobli aint been 34 in 5 years. 2016-1977 is not 34 in any form of math.

you missed the joke

james evans
07-15-2016, 05:32 PM
you missed the joke
yeah I did, but he's just as bad as Parker. It's basically a debate over who hurts us the most.

SpursforSix
07-15-2016, 07:48 PM
yeah I did, but he's just as bad as Parker. It's basically a debate over who hurts us the most.

It's a terrible debate to have to have.

cjw
07-15-2016, 11:27 PM
Assuming your calculation is based on avoiding luxury tax. Boban was worth a little bit of luxury tax. Spurs cheaped out. And Boban's contract would've been great for year two, which is realistically what the Spurs should be shooting for in a mini rebuild.

No, they literally didn't have room for those two plus Boban of signing Pau. As ceperez mentioned, it was really Pau or Boban. I'll happily take Dedmon over Boban, who is unplayable against good pick and roll teams.

ElNono
07-15-2016, 11:39 PM
I like Boban, he looked like a cool dude... that said, even Pop worried about fans treating him like a freakshow more than a professional basketball player last season.

I wish him the best in Detroit (except when they play us)... Is Baynes still there? If the Baynes/Boban frontcourt own us, the meltdown here will be hilarious :lol

ElNono
07-15-2016, 11:41 PM

http://i.imgur.com/7drHiqr.gif

Spurtacular
07-15-2016, 11:52 PM
No, they literally didn't have room for those two plus Boban of signing Pau. As ceperez mentioned, it was really Pau or Boban. I'll happily take Dedmon over Boban, who is unplayable against good pick and roll teams.

I wasn't arguing room. I was saying pay some luxury tax. Sometimes, you have to bite the bullet. Mark Cuban cheaped out on not resigning Chandler after 11 and the Mavs went in the tank.

ElNono
07-15-2016, 11:56 PM
I wasn't arguing room. I was saying pay some luxury tax. Sometimes, you have to bite the bullet. Mark Cuban cheaped out on not resigning Chandler after 11 and the Mavs went in the tank.

Luxury tax doesn't enter the picture at all in this scenario.

Spurtacular
07-15-2016, 11:59 PM
Luxury tax doesn't enter the picture at all in this scenario.

Then sign him.

ElNono
07-16-2016, 12:02 AM
Then sign him.

cannot do if you wanted Gasol, Bertrans, etc... all players that were not on the Spurs last season, so they had to be signed with cap. You use that on them or Boban. Spurs chose them.

Anyways, that's what they were trying to tell you.

ElNono
07-16-2016, 12:04 AM
It's possible that if they would've rescinded Manu's cap hold, the Spurs would've had the money though. I think there was talk about that, but somebody else can chime in on that.

Spurtacular
07-16-2016, 01:48 AM
cannot do if you wanted Gasol, Bertrans, etc... all players that were not on the Spurs last season, so they had to be signed with cap. You use that on them or Boban. Spurs chose them.

Anyways, that's what they were trying to tell you.

I understand what you're trying to say in terms of limitations. I just don't understand if those limitations exist. Can teams not go over the cap any more? That'd defy my understanding.

ElNono
07-16-2016, 01:53 AM
I understand what you're trying to say in terms of limitations. I just don't understand if those limitations exist. Can teams not go over the cap any more? That'd defy my understanding.

They can go over to sign players they have bird rights for. In order to get bird rights on a player, the player must have been with the team for at least 3 years. So, they didn't have bird rights for Boban, thus he could've only been signed with cap space.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-16-2016, 02:19 AM
Which would you rather have:

Player that takes 2 years to reach MVP level or
Player that take 5 years?

Neither of them have won Euroleague MVP, so I've no idea what you're talking about. Do you mean domestic leagues MVPs?

I'd take the much better player - Tiago.

SAGirl
07-16-2016, 02:35 AM
I think the frustration at seeing Boban go is that he seemed to have a lot of potential and we never really got to see where he could have taken this team if given more minutes. I think there's a certain amount of fear he's gonna go somewhere else and dominate.
I have that feeling. I think D west coming over in his ring chase put Pop in a bind. He had committed to play D west and was developing Boban for the future. The report is that they wanted and had planned to resign him. You are right we,never got to see how that would look like. On with the season though

FuzzyLumpkins
07-16-2016, 02:42 AM
Neither of them have won Euroleague MVP, so I've no idea what you're talking about. Do you mean domestic leagues MVPs?

I'd take the much better player - Tiago.

They both made All-Euroleague 1st team once.

Boban was better in year 1 of the NBA than Splitter was in his respective first year. Boban has also been much more durable. I'll let their careers play out before I anoint either.

Fireball
07-16-2016, 04:55 AM
I will miss Boban ... he brought excitement to the game and with the slim championship chances a little excitment would not have been a bad thing

Spurtacular
07-16-2016, 04:58 AM
They can go over to sign players they have bird rights for. In order to get bird rights on a player, the player must have been with the team for at least 3 years. So, they didn't have bird rights for Boban, thus he could've only been signed with cap space.

Interesting. Well, as I mentioned before, I would've kept Boban and passed on Pau. Though, I'd admit for this year, Pau could be the better option.

Old School 44
07-16-2016, 08:29 AM
Didn't see this posted. I still think Spurs made the right decision.

How the 76ers cost the Spurs Boban.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/how-the-76ers-cost-the-spurs-their-beloved-boban-marjanovic-160517258.html

cjw
07-16-2016, 02:08 PM
Interesting. Well, as I mentioned before, I would've kept Boban and passed on Pau. Though, I'd admit for this year, Pau could be the better option.

That's a totally fair assessment (Boban over Pau), though as you say you're sacrificing any chance you had this year - as small as it might be. Manu may not have come back if not for replacing Duncan with Pau either.

We'll just agree to disagree on Boban. He's fine as a backup big but his defense on PnR will always keep him off the floor in big games. Offensively, he's been a beast but wonder how he impacts a defense against non-scrub lineups. Will be interesting to see how SvG brings him along. No better coach than him. Boban as a guy off the bench for Drummond makes hack a impossible.

Spurtacular
07-16-2016, 02:17 PM
That's a totally fair assessment (Boban over Pau), though as you say you're sacrificing any chance you had this year - as small as it might be. Manu may not have come back if not for replacing Duncan with Pau either.

We'll just agree to disagree on Boban. He's fine as a backup big but his defense on PnR will always keep him off the floor in big games. Offensively, he's been a beast but wonder how he impacts a defense against non-scrub lineups. Will be interesting to see how SvG brings him along. No better coach than him. Boban as a guy off the bench for Drummond makes hack a impossible.

If that impacted Manu's decison, I'd have to maybe rethink it. My best guess would be that Manu wanted to come back, even if it wasn't with the Spurs at $18 mil.

I could be wrong on Boban. I have concerns about his lateral movement just like anyone else. But I think I saw enough to know how he can impact a ball game in ways nobody else can.

Spurtacular
07-16-2016, 02:23 PM
Didn't see this posted. I still think Spurs made the right decision.

How the 76ers cost the Spurs Boban.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/how-the-76ers-cost-the-spurs-their-beloved-boban-marjanovic-160517258.html

Pau could've taken a mil less to sign Boban. Sad.