PDA

View Full Version : Where do you think the defense will be?

All Mighty Janitor
07-15-2016, 12:36 PM
1: How much will losing Duncan affect our D?
2: Whose going to take up the communication responsibilities?
3:Is Pau a suitable replacement to keep our D number one rated?
4: Will Kawhi have to sacrifice some defense to take an offensive leap? If so, can Danny pick up the slack?
5: Can we rely on Dedman and Murray?

I'm thinking we will still be top five even considering other teams are looking to be much improved on D. But Duncan did so much for us: always being in the right spot, ready and willing to provide help, defending w/o fouling, and, most importantly, communicating rotations and coverages. I don't think Pau can make up for any of these things especially the communication part. I don't think Pau will be complete shit, but I think he's going to show us just how good Duncan still was (:depressed) on defense. The main reason I'm asking this is because I'm wondering if we would be better off focusing on being a great defensive team or trying to change things up and focus on improving our offence. I know Pop likes to focus on defense early on, but our problem last year was volume scoring and I don't think that's just going to change unless the team make a concerted effort to do so. Maybe Kawhi can improve offensively to a point where we won't have to worry about this, but if he doesn't what should the identity of the team be: a grind it out defensive team or a balanced approach offensively and defensively?

EIC
07-15-2016, 01:29 PM
Obviously, losing Duncan is going to be a big hit. Not only because of his individual D, but because he made everyone else better in the "field general" role, as you say.

But one thing to consider is that it's easier to defend in a half-court set than off a fast break. This is particularly true if teams like the Warriors, OKC, and the Clippers. By increasing our offensive efficiency, Pau will help offset the loss of Duncan's D at least a little simply by putting us in more half-court situations and fewer fast-break situations.

Yuixafun
07-15-2016, 01:47 PM
I was sitting in a Hookah Lounge for game 5 against OKC, sometime during towards the end of the 3rd quarter Duncan got subbed in.

Immediately the defense transformed. Their entire demeanor, energy, movement.

I've heard in the past about someone 'anchoring the defense.' But that was the first time it really came alive and my eyes were able to see it.

Duncan didn't move much, but he moved exactly at the right time. It was Wizardry how all the other players whirled and bended, twisting to and fro like snakes emanating from from Duncan.

The lane would seemingly be open for a second, WB would drive down it, only to have 4 players converge and suffocate him. Every rotation was on point.

It reminded me of 2013 game 6 first half Duncan, dominant, just a superior will.

But instead of scoring 25 points in the first half... Duncan was a part of everything it takes to win a game for a 4-5 minute stretch.

Every point, every defensive stop it seemed.

I was screaming DUNCAN! DUNCAN! like somehow I knew this was the last time I'd see the truth of who he was on the court.

AND THEN POP PULLS HIM.

VERY FUCKING NEXT PLAY ADAMS SCORES ON GREEN.

2 more minutes of shitty basketball, and Duncan gets back in, but the tide has turned and the magic is gone.

I realized that I KL can't anchor the defense like that from the perimeter.

It's just not in the physics of the game.

But yes... a better offense will help with our defense as EIC stated above.

And LA will take a step forward in the defensive system, instead of looking like Bambi on Ice.

And instead of loafing from Boris, misguided outrage and ineptness from West, and lumbering taking too long from his brain to the rest of giant body synapsis so quick reaction is not possible from Boban... we'll have hungry athletes that can fly around, and at least make up for lack of knowledge with sheer enthusiasm and youthful vigor. Those energy, hustle, junkyard play mentality was very missed last year.

cd021
07-15-2016, 01:49 PM
I think the Spurs can still be top 5 defensively but Gasol is definitely a down grade over Duncan. Gasol did post a D Rtg of 101 on a mediocre Bulls defensive team (15th ranked) while playing heavy minutes.
His length is useful, he has random games where he'll rack up five blocks mostly because of it, but I Think LMA will have to play a bigger role defensively.

With any luck Dedmon could be a solid defense and board type of big man in a 15-18 mpg role while.

Spurtacular
07-15-2016, 01:52 PM
I was sitting in a Hookah Lounge for game 5 against OKC, sometime during towards the end of the 3rd quarter Duncan got subbed in.

I've heard in the past about someone 'anchoring the defense.' But that was the first time it really came alive and my eyes were able to see it.

Duncan didn't move much, but he moved exactly at the right time. It was Wizardry how all the other players whirled and bended, twisting to and fro like snakes emanating from from Duncan.

The lane would seemingly be open for a second, WB would drive down it, only to have 4 players converge and suffocate him. Every rotation was on point.

It reminded me of 2013 game 6 first half Duncan, dominant, just a superior will.

But instead of scoring 25 points in the first half... Duncan was a part of everything it takes to win a game for a 4-5 minute stretch.

I was screaming DUNCAN! DUNCAN! like somehow I knew this was the last time I'd see the truth of who he was on the court.

AND THEN POP PULLS HIM.

2 more minutes of shitty basketball, and Duncan gets back in, but the tide has turned and the magic is gone.

And LA will take a step forward in the defensive system, instead of looking like Bambi on Ice.

And instead of loafing from Boris, misguided outrage and ineptness from West, and lumbering taking too long from his brain to the rest of giant body synapsis so quick reaction is not possible from Boban... we'll have hungry athletes that can fly around, and at least make up for lack of knowledge with sheer enthusiasm and youthful vigor. Those energy, hustle, junkyard play mentality was very missed last year.

Great post. Even older Tim was a top five defensive anchor if not player in the league. Remember that block on Harden for what should've been the defining moment of another championship run? Obviously, he's irreplaceable. When he announced his retirement, I suddenly realized how much worse the Spurs would be. All these fa****** who were calling for him to leave are just that.

Spurtacular
07-15-2016, 01:54 PM
I think the Spurs can still be top 5 defensively but Gasol is definitely a down grade over Duncan. Gasol did post a D Rtg of 101 on a mediocre Bulls defensive team (15th ranked) while playing heavy minutes.
His length is useful, he has random games where he'll rack up five blocks mostly because of it, but I Think LMA will have to play a bigger role defensively.

With any luck Dedmon could be a solid defense and board type of big man in a 15-18 mpg role while.

Yea, maybe. But there's a difference between being a top whatever defense and being flat out dominant, which the Spurs were on a historic run before the Timmy injuries. I don't know exactly where they landed; someone post that.

SAGirl
07-15-2016, 02:38 PM
Pop will keep the team with a focus on defense, that's who Pop is. The second unit has liked to push the tempo though and has been a notorious paper tiger. Contrary to others I think our second unit will be better than last season. Dedmon is a legit C not a pretend one like D west, he's very athletic and will roll hard to the paint and defensively has vertically and quickness, both things D west lacks. Kyle will open up things more than Boris who was refusing to shoot the 3 and part of his training in SL was quarterbacking and leading. Becky said as a leader his communication on the floor was excellent. He will be challenged by bigger and stronger guys and will have a tough battle some nights, but that's part of growing up and all young players go through that. Bertans is an elite 3 pts shooter and Simmons can finish in the paint with the best of them. They are a versatile, much younger unit, better suited to pushing the tempo. I have no doubt they can score as a unit. Defensively they have work to do.

The starting unit will likely see a decline defensively but I think eventually they will figure things out. The team has potential to be better/more versatile than last season's, but there are obvious question marks. One of Pau or LMA needs to be actively communicating on defense. I am not sure of the two who will be up to it maybe Pau.

I don't think Dejounte is ready to contribute yet, but he might. He could improve his shooting enough with Chip to be playable some minutes (or need more time, unknown). He has athleticism and length to defend ok for a few minutes after getting training camp experience (being so skinny hurts him, but he can force TO and get guys out of their rhythm).

coachmac87
07-15-2016, 02:41 PM
Defense will be fine. Maybe better tbh

elemento
07-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Not the best defense in the league without Duncan, but I'd say top 5. Spurs still have elite perimeter defenders and a good defensive system

coachmac87
07-15-2016, 02:49 PM
Defense struggled without Duncan on the court because Diaw/West combo was the replacement. That just wasn't a good fit IMO. With Dedmom who can rebound and block shots should help the bench defensively. Also Pau is a better rebounder than Tim at 40..rebounding is the last line of defense. Spurs are longer with a Pau/LMA line up and again better on the glass. Duncan was great last year in spurts but the Spurs "defense" starts snd ends with Kawhi/Green locking up the opposing backcourt

cd021
07-15-2016, 02:55 PM
Yea, maybe. But there's a difference between being a top whatever defense and being flat out dominant, which the Spurs were on a historic run before the Timmy injuries. I don't know exactly where they landed; someone post that.

At last check they were the best defensive team in NBA history but that was with a few games left in the season

cd021
07-15-2016, 03:00 PM
I think Spurs could be top five in offense and defense potentially

ceperez
07-15-2016, 03:03 PM
Spurs defense last year would break apart with the lack of athleticism in the paint.

I can see some promise with both Dedmon and LJC playing help defense. LJC is actually one hell of a good shot blocker (that's what the scouts claim).

T Park
07-15-2016, 03:16 PM
Not as good as last year but, it will be better vs the Warriors. Dedmon, if he progresses and has a brain, will be huge vs them

HarlemHeat37
07-15-2016, 03:28 PM
Gasol was a top 5 rim protector in the NBA, last season..the defense will naturally drop off, as last year's pace was unsustainable, but it will still easily be in the top 5, probably in the top 3 IMO..

All Mighty Janitor
07-15-2016, 03:42 PM
Obviously, losing Duncan is going to be a big hit. Not only because of his individual D, but because he made everyone else better in the "field general" role, as you say.

But one thing to consider is that it's easier to defend in a half-court set than off a fast break. This is particularly true if teams like the Warriors, OKC, and the Clippers. By increasing our offensive efficiency, Pau will help offset the loss of Duncan's D at least a little simply by putting us in more half-court situations and fewer fast-break situations.
I know about how having a good offence make your D better, and we didn't have a problem with that. We had a efficient half court offense last year which led to us having the best transition D in the league (by a huge margin http://www.inpredictable.com/2016/01/san-antonios-stinginess-in-transition.html). But I'm wondering if there is a way to make our offence more explosive. Us drawing more fouls would be the way to go if we want to maintain our great D. Not sure if that's possible with our personnel though. So, should we look to run or grind it out? Something else?

All Mighty Janitor
07-15-2016, 03:47 PM
Pop will keep the team with a focus on defense, that's who Pop is. The second unit has liked to push the tempo though and has been a notorious paper tiger. Contrary to others I think our second unit will be better than last season. Dedmon is a legit C not a pretend one like D west, he's very athletic and will roll hard to the paint and defensively has vertically and quickness, both things D west lacks. Kyle will open up things more than Boris who was refusing to shoot the 3 and part of his training in SL was quarterbacking and leading. Becky said as a leader his communication on the floor was excellent. He will be challenged by bigger and stronger guys and will have a tough battle some nights, but that's part of growing up and all young players go through that. Bertans is an elite 3 pts shooter and Simmons can finish in the paint with the best of them. They are a versatile, much younger unit, better suited to pushing the tempo. I have no doubt they can score as a unit. Defensively they have work to do.

The starting unit will likely see a decline defensively but I think eventually they will figure things out. The team has potential to be better/more versatile than last season's, but there are obvious question marks. One of Pau or LMA needs to be actively communicating on defense. I am not sure of the two who will be up to it maybe Pau.

I don't think Dejounte is ready to contribute yet, but he might. He could improve his shooting enough with Chip to be playable some minutes (or need more time, unknown). He has athleticism and length to defend ok for a few minutes after getting training camp experience (being so skinny hurts him, but he can force TO and get guys out of their rhythm).
I agree with most of what you said, but Dedmon is very foul prone. Even for spot minutes, will Pop tolerate that?

All Mighty Janitor
07-15-2016, 03:48 PM
Spurs defense last year would break apart with the lack of athleticism in the paint.

I can see some promise with both Dedmon and LJC playing help defense. LJC is actually one hell of a good shot blocker (that's what the scouts claim).
LJC is a great defender no doubt. Is he sure to make the team?

MultiTroll
07-15-2016, 03:52 PM
Watching summer league.
Murray is two years and many steroid doses away from being a playoff contributor.

All Mighty Janitor
07-15-2016, 03:59 PM
Watching summer league.
Murray is two years and many steroid doses away from being a playoff contributor.
:lol I was just talking about defense; as in would we be able to deploy him for some stops.

Spurtacular
07-15-2016, 07:16 PM
Watching summer league.

:lol

SAGirl
07-15-2016, 09:00 PM
I agree with most of what you said, but Dedmon is very foul prone. Even for spot minutes, will Pop tolerate that?
I don't know him very well. I did see the SL forwards play the 5 on occasion... even Kyle. If we are seeing that with him, it wouldn't surprise me if more realistic 5s like Pau or LMA end up playing with Kyle a good amount or Bertans.. I think we may end up playing a lot more perimeter just based on our personnel.

dabom
07-15-2016, 09:05 PM
Gasol was a top 5 rim protector in the NBA, last season..the defense will naturally drop off, as last year's pace was unsustainable, but it will still easily be in the top 5, probably in the top 3 IMO..

Top 1. The Spurs still had an amazing defense when Duncan wasn't playing. Even in the playoffs. We did get creamed like 2 or 3 times(very little) when Dwest played big minutes. I think that pertains more to how he couldn't play vs them, than the actual team defense.

YGWHI
07-15-2016, 10:21 PM
Can't see Murray playing many minutes with Patty/Manu healthy. About relying on Dedmon? We have to, there is no other option.

cutewizard
07-15-2016, 10:40 PM

AND THEN POP PULLS HIM.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

my god, one of the great posts I have ever read, you must be a writer Sir, excellent ability to communicate meaning.

insights, so Duncan is really the modern day Bill Russell...wow! my respect for Duncan increases

and this goes to show how a simple fan like myself....my knowledge of technical basketball is non-existent, wanna know more about the game, i wanna know more about basketball theory, and strategy, etc....but cant seem to find the time, haha...just enjoying the Spurs...

this post is optimistic! it means there is still hope for the Spurs, and i know Manu, Kawhi, Lamarcus, Pau and Green shall bring it...

Kudos and more power Sir! You should post more, and share more of your insights!

Mabuhay (Long Live) from the Philippines!

cutewizard
07-15-2016, 10:44 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Another optimistic post, and suddenly my sadness with the Duncan departure is gone....

thanks! so, the second unit shall be a refreshing change, hope they gel and harmonize around the all star break

DEDMON AT CENTER, KYLE AS POINT FORWARD, BERTANS AS SHOOTING FORWARD, MANU AND SIMMONS AT THE BACKCOURT!

not bad hey........

cutewizard
07-15-2016, 10:45 PM
i forgot Mills, hehehehehe

where is Mills in all these?

Uriel
07-15-2016, 10:47 PM
OP has a really interesting username and display pic, tbh.

cutewizard
07-15-2016, 10:47 PM
If we are in the top five defensively and then will jump to being a top five offensively, im happy

If Pau and Lamarcus develop some chemistry, watch out NBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All Mighty Janitor
07-15-2016, 10:52 PM
Can't see Murray playing many minutes with Patty/Manu healthy. About relying on Dedmon? We have to, there is no other option.
I didn't want to believe that. I guess I'm just used to having options.

All Mighty Janitor
07-15-2016, 10:53 PM
OP has a really interesting username and display pic, tbh.
:toast

YGWHI
07-15-2016, 10:55 PM
I didn't want to believe that. I guess I'm just used to having options.

Because you're an optimistic man. :toast

ElNono
07-15-2016, 10:57 PM
I wanna see what the league looks like this season, tbh. If it's anything like last season, despite that losing TD is probably a downgrade, we should still be up there.

baseline bum
07-15-2016, 11:04 PM
I wanna see what the league looks like this season, tbh. If it's anything like last season, despite that losing TD is probably a downgrade, we should still be up there.

:lol Tomorrow's NBA

ElNono
07-15-2016, 11:14 PM
:lol Tomorrow's NBA

:lol

I actually have to give props to my boy Hoops Czar, who was right about det historical defense being just inflated numbers against fodder, which is what 90% of the league was last season...

While you definitely want to be in the top 5, you also gotta look at the competition.

SAGirl
07-15-2016, 11:33 PM
i forgot Mills, hehehehehe

where is Mills in all these?
I think Manu and Simmons split minutes and then possibly Bertans/Simmons also split minutes.

John Petrucci
07-16-2016, 12:38 AM
Edit: Wrong thread.

alpha_HaZE
07-16-2016, 01:06 AM
with some luck; Kyle would be an upgrade over Diaw on D, Dedmon over West, and Simmons over Manu **if Pop plays him, of course. And if Pau, dedicates himself on D, now that he only needs to carry the O for short stretches, we could end up top5 on D, but I would not be surprised if we are barely top 10.

SAGirl
07-16-2016, 01:50 AM
with some luck; Kyle would be an upgrade over Diaw on D, Dedmon over West, and Simmons over Manu **if Pop plays him, of course. And if Pau, dedicates himself on D, now that he only needs to carry the O for short stretches, we could end up top5 on D, but I would not be surprised if we are barely top 10.
Aww it's really up to LMA and Pau.

The entire Pop system is based on sending guys to help so I guess we are only as good on that end as our big men.

But against the perimeter teams Pop was already sitting TD. We never got to see if Pop stayed big against the perimeter teams bc Tim got so injured he couldn't play against them and this wasn't just GSW either, chaotic fast and bad teams like the Suns Timmy couldn't play against and had to be benched. In the playoffs, one Grizzly game TD didn't play much bc they went perimeter and this was a bad Grizzly team. I think TD in his later state couldn't punish those perimeter teams, but with Pau it's different. We will have to see.