PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Spurs sign Villanova guard Ryan Arcidiacono

ducks
07-15-2016, 02:43 PM
http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NBA/2016/07/15/San-Antonio-Spurs-sign-Villanova-guard-Ryan-Arcidiacono/5441468599562/

San Antonio Slayer
07-15-2016, 02:51 PM
easily a starter when he upgrades offensive skills and athleticism. I love his court vision and passing.

ceperez
07-15-2016, 03:00 PM
RC Diacono ... if Nash could become an MVP, maybe he can too!

So let's not discount his lack of athleticism.

SpursforSix
07-15-2016, 03:04 PM
RC Diacono ... if Nash could become an MVP, maybe he can too!

So let's not discount his lack of athleticism.

Nash was a pretty damn good athlete.

lmbebo
07-15-2016, 03:10 PM
Seems to be a heady PG lacking elite shooting and athleticism. Maybe a project for D League.

ceperez
07-15-2016, 03:11 PM
Nash was a pretty damn good athlete.

No he wasn't. He was a very good shooter that became a very good dribbler and passer.

Tully365
07-15-2016, 03:13 PM
I can see him becoming a reliable professional back up in the mode of Kevin Ollie.

SpursforSix
07-15-2016, 03:14 PM
No he wasn't. He was a very good shooter that became a very good dribbler and passer.

I'm not saying he's Kevin Johnson, but he was fairly fast and had good quickness. At least with the ball.

ceperez
07-15-2016, 03:16 PM
I'm not saying he's Kevin Johnson, but he was fairly fast and had good quickness. At least with the ball.

He was very crafty with the ball. I did see him play when he was a nobody, and he was really known as a very good shooter with a lot of range.

Though it took him a while to get those really good handles and passing. That wasn't available for him in his first couple of years.

SpursforSix
07-15-2016, 03:19 PM
He was very crafty with the ball. I did see him play when he was a nobody, and he was really known as a very good shooter with a lot of range.

Though it took him a while to get those really good handles and passing. That wasn't available for him in his first couple of years.

Fair enough. I can't say that I was aware of him in his early years. I just never really looked at him and thought that he was nonathletic. Maybe I should have added the obligatory "for a white guy".

Ocotillo
07-15-2016, 03:26 PM
I think this guy is being signed to start for the Austin Toros. The Spurs are taking a flyer that he can develop into something while in the D-League. He has looked steady and solid in Summer League but does lack the athleticism you would like for a NBA guard. I guess their ceiling would be third point guard on a roster if he develops.

ceperez
07-15-2016, 03:29 PM
I think this guy is being signed to start for the Austin Toros. The Spurs are taking a flyer that he can develop into something while in the D-League. He has looked steady and solid in Summer League but does lack the athleticism you would like for a NBA guard. I guess their ceiling would be third point guard on a roster if he develops.

There's always value for a guy who can dribble the ball well and shoot the occasional 3 pointer. Steve Kerr made a living on just 3 pointers, and he couldn't even dribble!

tbdog
07-15-2016, 03:34 PM

You are wrong. Nash wasn't athletic but things like hands, dribble control, and balance was amazing. The guy could dribble around the key amongst the trees and never lose his dribble without doing anything fancy, and when he had to shoot off the dribble, his body was so square, and his shooting mechanics was so consistent. The guy was a great athlete. Take someone like Wesbrook, that guys balance and shooting mechanics are dreadful. His career ends the day he loses 25% of his athleticism.

lmbebo
07-15-2016, 03:35 PM
Yeah, Pop liked Andre Miller because he could control the offense, I think they want to see if this guy can develop into that kind of player.

Kikoluna
07-15-2016, 03:47 PM
This guy is CURRENTLY better than Kyle. Love the signing

Mnky
07-15-2016, 04:00 PM
Been a fan since day one. He could be what dellie was for the cavs type of player., but much better vision and awareness. Hope he develops.

TheGreatYacht
07-15-2016, 04:05 PM
Utah & Vegas Summer League stats (19.5mpg):
2.43ppg, 2.71rpg, 2.29apg, 1.1spg, 1.4TO, 35fg%, 33.3 3P%

benefactor
07-15-2016, 04:05 PM
Camp contract tbh

jermaine
07-15-2016, 04:07 PM
I really love the way he's always under control, not selfish, and is a pass first pg. Ain't to many of them floating around these days. Everybody wanna be Curry or Westbrook.

james evans
07-15-2016, 04:48 PM
we're fucked.

Obstructed_View
07-15-2016, 04:51 PM

Nash was an amazing athlete from the time he was a rookie.

AFBlue
07-15-2016, 04:57 PM
I like this kid a lot...heady player, pesky defender, has a nose for the ball and can make some shots. There is a stark contrast between him and Murray in that he always plays under control and within the offense.

I don't know if he fits on the current roster, but Od hate to lose him to another team if the Spurs cut him. I just think the kid has the "it" factor.

Kikoluna
07-15-2016, 06:00 PM
we're fucked.

No, we are fucked if Kyle remains in the 2nd unit. Okc was like " are you shitting me pop? You're gonna play Kyle? Thanks! "

alpha_HaZE
07-15-2016, 06:20 PM

do you know many players that jump off one foot, shoot and make the basket? You speak as if, shooting, dribbling and passing do not require any elite athletic abilities whatsoever....

Austin_Toros
07-15-2016, 06:24 PM
Hasn't this guy been throwing bricks in the Summer League?

TheGreatYacht
07-15-2016, 06:26 PM
Hasn't this guy been throwing bricks in the Summer League?
Yes and no. Yes his % has been terrible, and no he barely shoots.

0 points in 18 minutes today, only one FGA

apalisoc_9
07-15-2016, 06:32 PM
American white guy player. :lol

ElNono
07-15-2016, 06:38 PM
American white guy player. :lol

:lol

I like Archi's demeanor. I think he would be a good professional if given a chance. He does have 1000 things going against him though.

wildbill2u
07-15-2016, 06:49 PM
Great BB IQ player without size, speed, or shooting skills, but good passer and can run an offense--in college. I don't know if he can make the jump, but he's smart and works hard on the court. Doesn't hurt to bring him to camp or to the Austin team.

Personally, I thought Cummings was pretty damn good in SL. Didn't shoot a lot but made shots and had 3pt range. Besides that he was fast as hell and very active/pesky type on defense.

tholdren
07-15-2016, 06:55 PM
I would say he was already a good passer - once you get to the nba, if you are a decent assist man in college, you can get that average up due to style of nba play. Other than that he was always a crafty, smart player. He played soccer which allowed him to play angles better than most, increased court vision, and know how multiple movements with the ball could in up in success.

beirmeistr
07-15-2016, 07:01 PM
Great BB IQ player without size, speed, or shooting skills, but good passer and can run an offense--in college. I don't know if he can make the jump, but he's smart and works hard on the court. Doesn't hurt to bring him to camp or to the Austin team.

Personally, I thought Cummings was pretty damn good in SL. Didn't shoot a lot but made shots and had 3pt range. Besides that he was fast as hell and very active/pesky type on defense.

he is 6'3"---isn't that bigger than parker?

apalisoc_9
07-15-2016, 07:10 PM

I like Archi's demeanor. I think he would be a good professional if given a chance. He does have 1000 things going against him though.

I did mention in the other thread that hes at least got good character and competes on D..unlike the other physically and athletically challenged american white player last year.
That got cut in preseason

ceperez
07-15-2016, 08:17 PM
I did mention in the other thread that hes at least got good character and competes on D..unlike the other physically and athletically challenged american white player last year.

He's maybe 2 inches taller than the player that shall not be named.

ceperez
07-15-2016, 08:18 PM
I didn't know they were letting ethnics into the league ...

ethnic? you mean like Ginobili?

tonight...you
07-15-2016, 08:24 PM
For real. The casual likes to rely upon racial profiling and uses White=Nonathletic to write their entire narrative and while it is true- not all whitey be's the same.
Some are more useful than others. Some much more.

Some know where their spots are to be and how to act in the moment. Sometimes outsmarting others in the process.

HOF careers have been built by nonathletic, white guys with the proper IQ and desire.

ceperez
07-15-2016, 09:22 PM
Not going to jump out of the gym, but seems to be a very smart and controlled player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL9juGPrPIU

cutewizard
07-15-2016, 10:08 PM
Are the Spurs not looking at Andre Miller to mentor the young ones?

he would make a good mentor to these young point guards, I wish he joined the coaching staff....

just random thoughts

Russo21
07-15-2016, 10:33 PM
Wow I literally read just half the title of this thread and thought we signed Charlie Villanueva, I nearly spewed.

spurtech09
07-16-2016, 01:44 AM
Another solid 3pt shooter....and can handle the ball....not bad....

Sean Cagney
07-16-2016, 01:54 AM
we're fucked.

Snaq O'Meal
07-16-2016, 01:56 AM
Are the Spurs not looking at Andre Miller to mentor the young ones?

he would make a good mentor to these young point guards, I wish he joined the coaching staff....

just random thoughts

They paid Manu $14 million this coming season to do just that.

BackHome
07-16-2016, 10:05 AM
I think he and Parker are the only two Spurs players that ca keep there dribble and no turn the ball over.

kaji157
07-16-2016, 01:59 PM
I think this seems to be the guy Manu would be in charge of, similar game, still manu is bigger than him.
It all looks like if this guys fits it will be as a combo guard.

jermaine
07-16-2016, 02:13 PM
Not going to jump out of the gym, but seems to be a very smart and controlled player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL9juGPrPIU

How could a person not like this bite size killer! If JJ Barea can make it in the league, how come this kid can't. I love this lil dude man. I'd keep his ads for sure, but I know the Spurs aren't.

Beaverfuzz
07-16-2016, 02:35 PM
Scrub.

james evans
07-16-2016, 04:32 PM
I think he and Parker are the only two Spurs players that ca keep there dribble and no turn the ball over.
hold up, parker doesn't turn the ball over? :lol

dbestpro
07-16-2016, 04:41 PM
I like Forbes more so as being able to have an NBA career. He is a lights out shooter most of the time.