07-18-2016, 09:55 AM
Good idea. Add Bertans
Anderson - 18/8/3/3
Simmons - 12/6/2/2
Bertans - 12/6/2/2

SAGirl
07-18-2016, 10:26 AM
Hard to say.
:pop: It depends on Pop allocating minutes and roles. If they are used in a marginal fashion Pop is indeed going senile.

picnroll
07-18-2016, 10:39 AM
If Pop's not giving at least two of those three significant minute he's going to have to play KL, Green , Parker, Manu and Mills about 45 minutes a game every night. KA is a lock unless he really craps the bed.

kaji157
07-18-2016, 11:06 AM
I think Simmons will be traded for sure, the guy is usefull but dumb, doesnīt seems like Spurs material just yet.

Anderson on the other hand has shown flashes, as Nocioni once said about talented skinny players, it all has to do with the workload he forces onto himself.
If he develops muscle and is a viable option at PF for time to time, and can be used against specific SF, his opportunity will remain. If he presents himself with the same body as he came into the league in his 3rd year... i donīt think heīll remain past the trade deadline.

LongtimeSpursFan
07-18-2016, 11:06 AM
24/12/8/ (tel:24/12/8/4/5)5. MIP candidate.

GSH
07-18-2016, 11:37 AM
Expectations?

KA - Stop fucking up so much.
Simmons - Stop fucking up so much.

Over and out.

SAGirl
07-18-2016, 11:43 AM
I think Simmons will be traded for sure, the guy is usefull but dumb, doesnīt seems like Spurs material just yet.

Anderson on the other hand has shown flashes, as Nocioni once said about talented skinny players, it all has to do with the workload he forces onto himself.
If he develops muscle and is a viable option at PF for time to time, and can be used against specific SF, his opportunity will remain. If he presents himself with the same body as he came into the league in his 3rd year... i donīt think heīll remain past the trade deadline.

I don't discard entirely the possibility of trades, bc none of these guys are untouchable, but realistically, Kyle is in a very cheap contract, and young guys in rookie scale deals who are producing in the league provide such great value that it makes it a bad idea to trade them. Anderson last season in a very reduced role still produced a $7 million value to the franchise while being paid $1 mill. You just don't trade away value like that. Plus, he's still very young and improving. The versatility he showed playing 3 different positions in the RS, able to spell other guys in the team who were injured also makes him an incredible asset for the team. On top of that the Spurs value his leadership and other intangibles that go beyond a boxscore and need someone in the next generation Spurs to step up. Nope, Anderson won't be traded. The Spurs will give him the time they gave CoJo to grow as a player and then evaluate the situation in his fourth season.

Simmons is on a different path bc next season he's 27 and in a contract year. He will not remain that cheap to keep (unlike Anderson) and may get inflated offers in the summer. He's really an energy player and his best asset is his athleticism. I think the Spurs probably plan to keep him because Manu is about to retire let's be realistic here, but it really depends on whether Simmons plays well this season.

alpha_HaZE
07-18-2016, 12:24 PM
I don't discard entirely the possibility of trades, bc none of these guys are untouchable, but realistically, Kyle is in a very cheap contract, and young guys in rookie scale deals who are producing in the league provide such great value that it makes it a bad idea to trade them. Anderson last season in a very reduced role still produced a $7 million value to the franchise while being paid $1 mill. You just don't trade away value like that. Plus, he's still very young and improving. The versatility he showed playing 3 different positions in the RS, able to spell other guys in the team who were injured also makes him an incredible asset for the team. On top of that the Spurs value his leadership and other intangibles that go beyond a boxscore and need someone in the next generation Spurs to step up. Nope, Anderson won't be traded. The Spurs will give him the time they gave CoJo to grow as a player and then evaluate the situation in his fourth season.

Simmons is on a different path bc next season he's 27 and in a contract year. He will not remain that cheap to keep (unlike Anderson) and may get inflated offers in the summer. He's really an energy player and his best asset is his athleticism. I think the Spurs probably plan to keep him because Manu is about to retire let's be realistic here, but it really depends on whether Simmons plays well this season.

Very good assessment! Simmons and KA should get plenty of opportunities next year to show what they can do.

AFBlue
07-18-2016, 01:10 PM
People need to realize that Anderson played over 18mpg last year and Simmons over 16MPG. That was before the departures of West and Diaw in the frontcourt. While Bertans and Dedmon will pick up some of those minutes, I expect Anderson and Simmons to have PT advantage as they've been in the system for multiple years.

Anderson should average 24MPG between both forward spots, and Simmons 20MPG at the 2/3. Look for Simmons to also get heavy minutes in the scheduled or unscheduled absence of Manu as their primary bench facilitator. Not sure how either will perform, but they should get significantly more minutes and ample opportunity to prove they can be a big part of the regular rotation.

Chinook
07-18-2016, 02:08 PM
People need to realize that Anderson played over 18mpg last year and Simmons over 16MPG.

That'd be a strange realization, as Anderson played 16mpg and Simmons 15. And if you actually adjust it for total minutes, Anderson played 15mpg and Simmons less than 10mpg.

Anderson should average 24MPG between both forward spots, and Simmons 20MPG at the 2/3.

Anderson at 24 mpg would be pretty much the max I could see him getting, and that's coming at the expense of Simmons. It's not about Bertans really, more it's about Simmons being the 10th man, and that's too much for such a spot to earn.

buttsR4rebounding
07-18-2016, 02:45 PM
Anderson 22 minutes per game, 8.5 ppg, 3 APG, 5.5 RPG
Simmons 10 MPG, 4 ppg, 1.5 APG, 2 Rpg

Kikoluna
07-18-2016, 03:38 PM
Wow!! Some of you here blow my mind! The stats you give Kyle are WAY OVER BLOWN. He will continue to be terrible just like he was against okc. He will continue to leave guys wide open for a corner 3. He will still run slower than me. Unfortunately, and as much as it pains me, he will play 22-24 minutes per game. Average 6 points, 3 assists and 4 rebounds. Against okc and gsw you divide that by 2. The guy is Our WEAKEST LINK. As far as Simmons, he has more hope. Super athletic guy. Will play only 12-15 minutes per game. 7 ppg. 2.5 rebounds 1.5 assists per game. Simmons should be a 2nd unit guy. Kyle should be the 15th guy. My dream is he gets traded. For anything. A diet cokd. What ever. If you think I'm hating just watch the last game vs okc.

szkorhetz
07-18-2016, 03:40 PM
This hate on Anderson is getting ridiculous. We are talking about a fucking player, who is 22 and spent two years in the league.

Kikoluna
07-18-2016, 03:45 PM
Forgot to mention, guy seems like a nice dude, good teammate, my dislike is only for his actual game.

palangi
07-18-2016, 04:06 PM
Forgot to mention, guy seems like a nice dude, good teammate, my dislike is only for his actual game.
You also seem to not be able to post about anything Spurs outside of Kyle Anderson bashing. Try real hard to diversify your thinking.

AFBlue
07-18-2016, 04:15 PM
That'd be a strange realization, as Anderson played 16mpg and Simmons 15. And if you actually adjust it for total minutes, Anderson played 15mpg and Simmons less than 10mpg.

Anderson at 24 mpg would be pretty much the max I could see him getting, and that's coming at the expense of Simmons. It's not about Bertans really, more it's about Simmons being the 10th man, and that's too much for such a spot to earn.

Looks like I need to double check...used regular season stats from ESPN. Excluded post-season because it was less indicative of their overall contribution. Maybe that skewed it? Dunno, will look into it.

CGD
07-18-2016, 04:44 PM
If this is the last cheap year for these guys, I'd flip them for other assets. They're great prospects and all, but would you really want to match an Alan Crabbe type offer sheet for either of these guys? I wouldn't

K...
07-18-2016, 05:17 PM
If this is the last cheap year for these guys, I'd flip them for other assets. They're great prospects and all, but would you really want to match an Alan Crabbe type offer sheet for either of these guys? I wouldn't

so you want to start the bench from scratch?

Tully365
07-18-2016, 05:26 PM
Anderson's total numbers don't matter to me as much as his efficiency, which took a nice jump from his rookie season to 2nd year:

Rookie year: 10.8 mpg, 34.8% FG%, 27.3% 3ptFG%
2nd season : 16.0 mpg, 46.8% FG%, 32.4% 3ptFG%

Kyle's percentages took a similar leap in his two seasons at UCLA, most notably in 3ptFG% and apg: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kyle-Anderson-6177/stats/

I'm hoping for something like this from him this year:
18--24 mpg, 48% FG%, 36% 3ptFG%

Stats from 82games.com show that he was most effective last year as a PF rather than a SF (http://www.82games.com/1516/15SAS8.HTM), and I hope that's where Spurs continue to use him, though he can be valuable as a combo forward in the right match ups. At 6'9" with a 7'2.75" wingspan that's probably his best position in the NBA. I know there's a lot of disagreement on spurstalk about him, but there's no question his trajectory is moving in the right direction. I don't expect him to be a starter but if he's a solid 6th/7th man, that'll be more than anyone else drafted in his range is doing, except for Nikola Jokic & Clint Capela.

SAGirl
07-18-2016, 05:27 PM
It's the last season on the cheap for Simmons, Kyle has 2 more at the rookie level and they really need him. Simmons, if Dejounte and Bertans come out balling and become better perimeter players than him through the course of the season, I could also see him lose playing time and being considered for a trade but even then, the Spurs likely hold on to him this season for depth.

And to your point... at some point Spurs will have to start paying their young players $, instead of giving lifetime achievement awards to Manu and Parker. It will be easier to retain Simmons if he turns into a difference maker than luring a difference maker here in the open market bottom line, and if he doesn't turn into that difference maker then farewell to him you let him go.

Also, Crabbe looked like shit his first two years in the league and it wasn't until his third season when playing time opened up for him that he improved significantly.

Ultimately, I don't have a hot take. Kyle is due for a breakout season and is 22, younger than Crabbe in his own breakout season, young enough to have been a rook coming into this season. Simmons is pretty much what he is. You are unlikely to find a point forward who can shoot the 3 for cheap though and with Manu likely retiring next season, Anderson is a must keep.

Kikoluna
07-18-2016, 05:33 PM
Manu And Mills Aside, we have no bench.

Spurtacular
07-18-2016, 06:13 PM
Anderson: traded
Simmons: 16MPG, 8PPG, 3APG, 3RPG

Simmons won't be averaging 3APG; not this year, anyways.

Obstructed_View
07-18-2016, 06:40 PM
Minutes
PPG
Assists
Rebounds

Kyle: If he doesn't play some type of defense, his other stats almost don't matter unless he's putting up great numbers.

Simmons: He's going to find his way out of San Antonio if he plays like he did in summer league

Bertans: Too many wrong conclusions to jump to based on one game.

tonight...you
07-18-2016, 06:43 PM
Kyle: If he doesn't play some type of defense, his other stats almost don't matter unless he's putting up great numbers.

Simmons: He's going to find his way out of San Antonio if he plays like he did in summer league

Bertans: Too many wrong conclusions to jump to based on one game.
Summer League wasn't his first pro game, ballah.
I'm not saying he's going to be a contendah, but he has skills that translate to the big leagues.
His stroke will be the same no matter what court he steps on. It's quick, accurate and he's tall.

I'm of the opinion that if he can get with the team concept of their defense without too many mental errors...
He's got a spot and minutes on this team.

Obstructed_View
07-18-2016, 06:45 PM
Summer League wasn't his first pro game, ballah.
I'm not saying he's going to be a contendah, but he has skills that translate to the big leagues.
His stroke will be the same no matter what court he steps on. It's quick, accurate and he's tall.

I'm of the opinion that if he can get with the team concept of their defense without too many mental errors...
He's got a spot and minutes on this team.

I'm of the same opinion. Whether or not we like it, one game ain't enough to know for sure.

tonight...you
07-18-2016, 06:46 PM
I'm of the same opinion. Whether or not we like it, one game ain't enough to know for sure.
I get you on the solo summer league game, but he does have a body of work overseas (which the talent is nearly the same, but sometimes more organized) and he was the same guy.
You can acknowledge that, right?

picnroll
07-18-2016, 06:50 PM
Granted defense will matter, not just for Anderson but Simmons and Bertans as well.
Granted efficiency matters for all three.
Given that there seems to be a significant number of people to wax on with a dearth of what they consider reasonable expectations for actual numbers.

Obstructed_View
07-18-2016, 07:00 PM
I get you on the solo summer league game, but he does have a body of work overseas (which the talent is nearly the same, but sometimes more organized) and he was the same guy.
You can acknowledge that, right?

Yeah, but Spanoulis and Jasikevicius were better players overseas and they were moist shit in the NBA.

I really like Bertans. Like I'm super excited to see what he can do. He's made an impact where he's restored my hope that this season can be salvaged. I'm dying to write a big long post about how trading George Hill completely revitalized the franchise. And I will as soon as I see enough to confirm my hopes. For now, in my opinion, there's just no way to know. Maybe he's Tony Kukoc, and maybe he's Jan Vesely.

tonight...you
07-18-2016, 07:01 PM
Yeah, but Spanoulis and Jasikevicius were better players overseas and they were moist shit in the NBA.

I really like Bertans. Like I'm super excited to see what he can do. He's made an impact where he's restored my hope that this season can be salvaged. I'm dying to write a big long post about how trading George Hill completely revitalized the franchise. And I will as soon as I see enough to confirm my hopes. For now, in my opinion, there's just no way to know. Maybe he's Tony Kukoc, and maybe he's Jan Vesely.
In the End, you're right. And when you're right, you're right. And you're right.
I look forward to your long post, should it come to fruition.

Obstructed_View
07-18-2016, 07:06 PM
In the End, you're right. And when you're right, you're right. And you're right.
I look forward to your long post, should it come to fruition.

I got all sorts of expectations just ready to throw at this dude.

tonight...you
07-18-2016, 07:09 PM
I got all sorts of expectations just ready to throw at this dude.
Even though the family patriarch has left the building, I'm excited as hell for next season.

ElNono
07-18-2016, 07:09 PM
I don't have the slightest idea how Pop is going to approach this. Probably one of the things to look at when the season starts.

I do wish the best for both, because we're going to need them.

tonight...you
07-18-2016, 07:13 PM
I don't have the slightest idea how Pop is going to approach this. Probably one of the things to look at when the season starts.

I do wish the best for both, because we're going to need them.
I don't even think we're going to get a good feel for this team til around February/March. I think Pop is going to go full blown mad scientist the first few months to find rotations he likes and feels comfortable with moving forward.
There is going to be a metric shit-ton of griping the first few months. Hell... all year. Hell! Every year!

CGD
07-18-2016, 07:42 PM

Not scratch. I just support selling high on good, but not great, young players that will probably end up costing too much for the Spurs to keep anyway. Why not get a good asset in return, especially if the season isn't going as planned by February?

CGD
07-18-2016, 07:53 PM
It's the last season on the cheap for Simmons, Kyle has 2 more at the rookie level and they really need him. Simmons, if Dejounte and Bertans come out balling and become better perimeter players than him through the course of the season, I could also see him lose playing time and being considered for a trade but even then, the Spurs likely hold on to him this season for depth.

And to your point... at some point Spurs will have to start paying their young players $, instead of giving lifetime achievement awards to Manu and Parker. It will be easier to retain Simmons if he turns into a difference maker than luring a difference maker here in the open market bottom line, and if he doesn't turn into that difference maker then farewell to him you let him go.

Also, Crabbe looked like shit his first two years in the league and it wasn't until his third season when playing time opened up for him that he improved significantly.

Ultimately, I don't have a hot take. Kyle is due for a breakout season and is 22, younger than Crabbe in his own breakout season, young enough to have been a rook coming into this season. Simmons is pretty much what he is. You are unlikely to find a point forward who can shoot the 3 for cheap though and with Manu likely retiring next season, Anderson is a must keep.

You're right that Kyle has more cheap years. I'm cautiously optimistic that he steps up this season, and I think there is a lot riding on it for him this year.

I don't dislike Kyle. In fact, it's because he is an asset that I think he could fetch something good. I laugh on draft night when folks suggest attaching garbage to move up to the high teens. Kyle, like George Hill was, is a legit asset that would actually move the needle for some teams.

tholdren
07-19-2016, 09:46 AM
Expectations?

KA - Stop fucking up so much.
Simmons - Stop fucking up so much.

Over and out.
Maintain a lead

sasaint
07-19-2016, 09:56 AM
24/12/8/ (tel:24/12/8/4/5)5. MIP candidate.

My projections/expectations for Kyle are a little more modest: 24m/10p/6r/4a, which I do not expect to put him in the running for MIP. But either Kyle or Bertans has to attain those numbers if the Spurs are to be any kind of contender.

offset formation
07-19-2016, 10:50 AM
Hard to say.
:pop: It depends on Pop allocating minutes and roles. If they are used in a marginal fashion Pop is indeed going senile.

Yep. If Kyle is below 20-25 mpg, assuming he's better than last year, he's misusing him.

Too versatile.

Spurtacular
07-19-2016, 01:31 PM
Yep. If Kyle is below 20-25 mpg, assuming he's better than last year, he's misusing him.

Too versatile.

Too slow you mean.

Nathan89
07-19-2016, 01:37 PM
I have no expectations for Simmons. Anderson will look good as a distributor depending on the off ball play of his teammates. Bertans has great potential to make Anderson shine. Other than that he'll be serviceable on offense if he has a pretty solid 3pt shot.