PDA

View Full Version : NBA: What rules would you like to see done away with?

Caltex2
07-19-2016, 03:46 AM
I know some have some modern rules in mind but I'm thinking about rules that make zero sense or no longer make sense for today's game:

I. Backcourt Violation

It makes no sense to have because the shot clock forces you to get and keep the ball in the front court.

II. 8/10 seconds

Ditto, if you don't get the ball up court, you're dumb anyways because 8/10 seconds will have already gone by and you'll have less than 16 seconds (20 in college) to get a shot off.

III. Foul disqualification

This makes a major impact on the game, as coaches become reluctant to use players in foul trouble, players feel like they can't play as aggressively and referees have a greater impact on the game, feeling they need to call it tighter or not much at all to protect star players or just because they want to. It'd be better to just enforce a technical foul and the ball on the side after a number of fouls instead of the current setup, that way the game can naturally flow and there's a penalty for being too aggressive.

IV. 5 second rule

If there's a shot clock, as is the case in college, then it makes little sense to have as you have to keep moving the ball to get a shot off, if you're smart and not a ball hog. In high school, it makes total sense in most places that lack a shot clock.

Also, expand the dimensions of the court, players are bigger than they used to be. I'd also like to see them make a shot from halfcourt or beyond a 4 or 5-point shot. Why not? It's quite the accomplishment to make a halfcourt shot as it is and they're so rare that they won't factor into the game often enough to change it, so just make it 4 or 5 instead of just 3.

daslicer
07-19-2016, 07:24 AM
I would like to get rid of offensive fouls. Too many guys get rewarded for flopping on defense. I would like to see that end.

Caltex2
07-19-2016, 07:36 AM
Why don't you just say make harsher penalities for flopping? Get rid of offensive fouls? Seriously?

Clipper Nation
07-19-2016, 08:21 AM
Make the current three-pointer only count for two points from now on.

R.I.P. Warriors :lol

DMC
07-19-2016, 08:55 AM
I know some have some modern rules in mind but I'm thinking about rules that make zero sense or no longer make sense for today's game:

I. Backcourt Violation

It makes no sense to have because the shot clock forces you to get and keep the ball in the front court.

It limits the offense from using the entire floor to move the ball or to escape a trap. It needs to stay.

II. 8/10 seconds

Ditto, if you don't get the ball up court, you're dumb anyways because 8/10 seconds will have already gone by and you'll have less than 16 seconds (20 in college) to get a shot off.

It keeps folks like TP from spending 16 seconds to walk the ball up the floor. Needs to stay. These rules are by and large designed to create the benefit of defense. Otherwise no one defends anyone.

This makes a major impact on the game, as coaches become reluctant to use players in foul trouble, players feel like they can't play as aggressively and referees have a greater impact on the game, feeling they need to call it tighter or not much at all to protect star players or just because they want to. It'd be better to just enforce a technical foul and the ball on the side after a number of fouls instead of the current setup, that way the game can naturally flow and there's a penalty for being too aggressive.

Players need to learn to defend without fouling. You cannot have a penalty without any real repercussions. You could have your star player foul every trip down the floor otherwise and you'd never get a shot in the paint. Needs to stay. I don't want rule changes for the sake of :cry the stars :cry

IV. 5 second rule

If there's a shot clock, as is the case in college, then it makes little sense to have as you have to keep moving the ball to get a shot off, if you're smart and not a ball hog. In high school, it makes total sense in most places that lack a shot clock.

Takes away the effectiveness of the trap. Seems like you just want SSOL ball. Figures since you're a D'Antoni fan now.

Also, expand the dimensions of the court, players are bigger than they used to be. I'd also like to see them make a shot from halfcourt or beyond a 4 or 5-point shot. Why not? It's quite the accomplishment to make a halfcourt shot as it is and they're so rare that they won't factor into the game often enough to change it, so just make it 4 or 5 instead of just 3.

Responses in red

Kidd K
07-19-2016, 09:13 AM
I'd like to see the hack rule changed back to what it was. No reason to protect players who can't shoot.

I wouldn't mind handchecking being brought back at least in some minor form.

This isn't so much a rule change as how I'd like to see the game called, but I would enjoy it I obvious offensive fouls were called more often (push offs, illegal screens, hard charges on people who are basically already there the whole time who happened to move 5 degrees to square up).

Would also like to see shot block attempts at the rim be called more loosely for fouls. You don't see too many contests there anymore because any contact whatsoever tends to be a foul (which is why "dunking on someone" usually doesn't look that impressive anymore like it used to.

I'd also like to either see mild taunting not be a technical foul offense, OR they start calling the star players who taunt and celebrate all the time for them instead of just letting them do it.

Edit: I'd also like to see challenges expanded to include any type of play.

TDMVPDPOY
07-19-2016, 09:50 AM
the inbound 5 second rule i never get that...

does it mean ball has to be inbound and touch by another player? or the ball has to leave the hands of the inbound passer b4 5seconds

then sometimes nobody touches the ball and it rolls for more seconds to run down the clock, that should be a violation if nobody touches the ball after 5seconds from the inbound pass

Thread
07-19-2016, 10:05 AM
Fine thread.

Pelicans78
07-19-2016, 10:19 AM
The charge call.

SpursforSix
07-19-2016, 10:31 AM

does it mean ball has to be inbound and touch by another player? or the ball has to leave the hands of the inbound passer b4 5seconds

then sometimes nobody touches the ball and it rolls for more seconds to run down the clock, that should be a violation if nobody touches the ball after 5seconds from the inbound pass

He just has to throw it in before 5 seconds. Doesn't matter how long it takes for someone to touch it. Once he's released the ball, the count stops.

Fabbs
07-19-2016, 11:21 AM
make harsher penalities for flopping.
Stern Jr. claimed he was going to penalize faggy flopping.
Liar.

Fabbs
07-19-2016, 11:23 AM
Tip in's a go from anywhere.
Get rid of this "ball in the cylinder" bullshit.

Spurtacular
07-19-2016, 01:53 PM

I. Backcourt Violation

II. 8/10 seconds

IV. 5 second rule

I thought they did away with the 5 second rule? I don't remember it called once in the last few seasons or even being talked about.

I'd prefer 8 be pushed to 10 because who cares if the ball is ran up. I see refs allowing 8 and 9 seconds all the time anyways. If they don't take the rule seriously, why should we?

I do like the backcourt violation rule b/c I half court trapping. But I could live without it.

Foul DQ is a good thing despite what people say. Without it, hacking would be a huge problem.

Get rid of the phony no fouling in the last two minutes sh**. That rule was made to cater to sh** shooters (and not even that many of them).

Caltex2
07-19-2016, 03:19 PM
Responses in red

I. Who cares? If the offense has to throw it in the backcourt, they still have to deal with the shot clock, which presumably will be at 10 seconds or less by the time it gets back in the front court.

II. These rules were created to speed up the game in a time period when there was no incentive, or in other words a shot clock, to give them every reason to do so and instead let them use every inch of the court to get away from the defense and not attack the basket. If Tony Parker wants to spend 16 seconds in the backcourt, that's him, he'll have 8 seconds to find and get off a shot when he gets to the frontcourt.

III. What's a foul and what isn't is objective depending on the ref and besides, eventually you'll be giving up points and possesions if you keep fouling under my way. Short of throwing a punch or sometehing like that, why should anyone be disqualified from the game? Why should someone have to sit on the bench unless they're not playing well or tired? That's stupid imo and the game isn't as good when the best players aren't playing. For the paying cutomers, it's even worse.

IV. You're not even thinkiing about why the rules were put in place and just saying "you'll make everyone alter strategy!" That said, I do ask why the NFL changed the extra point rule for no apparent reason.

5 seconds as a violation only makes sense if there's a running clock (which is most of the time) in the final minutes when the clock is stopped after a dead ball. In the final minutes, it shouldn't be enforced imo.

DMC
07-20-2016, 12:40 AM
I. Who cares? If the offense has to throw it in the backcourt, they still have to deal with the shot clock, which presumably will be at 10 seconds or less by the time it gets back in the front court.

So your defense to any rational argument is "who cares"?

There are a ton of situations that involve the backcourt violation possibility that affect the game. The shot clock is the least of any of it. You seem to think teams struggle to not have shot clock violations.

II. These rules were created to speed up the game in a time period when there was no incentive, or in other words a shot clock, to give them every reason to do so and instead let them use every inch of the court to get away from the defense and not attack the basket. If Tony Parker wants to spend 16 seconds in the backcourt, that's him, he'll have 8 seconds to find and get off a shot when he gets to the frontcourt.

Then by extension turn off the shot clock and use the game clock. If Tony Parker wants to spend 48 minutes dribbling the ball, let him.

III. What's a foul and what isn't is objective depending on the ref and besides, eventually you'll be giving up points and possesions if you keep fouling under my way. Short of throwing a punch or sometehing like that, why should anyone be disqualified from the game? Why should someone have to sit on the bench unless they're not playing well or tired? That's stupid imo and the game isn't as good when the best players aren't playing. For the paying cutomers, it's even worse.

You're posing "ought to" questions about a game. There's no "ought to". You have to show how having a backcourt violation in the game hinders game play. Else we could go down the list and challenge everyone with "why should free throws be in the game?" and "why should traveling be in the game?"

IV. You're not even thinkiing about why the rules were put in place and just saying "you'll make everyone alter strategy!" That said, I do ask why the NFL changed the extra point rule for no apparent reason.

You still haven't made a case as to why the backcourt violation needs to go. You keep mentioning the shot clock but they aren't related. I don't need to prove to you why brick number 45,908 needs to stay in the building. You need to prove why it shouldn't.

5 seconds as a violation only makes sense if there's a running clock (which is most of the time) in the final minutes when the clock is stopped after a dead ball. In the final minutes, it shouldn't be enforced imo.
You're either high or stupid or both.

Caltex2
07-20-2016, 03:57 AM
Why give the defense an unnecessary advantage over rules that should have been taken out decades ago? Many of those rules were created to speed up the game back before the shot clock forced it. If you want to be 90 feet away with 5 seconds on the shot clock, that's your business. If you want to throw it to your opponents' 3-point line with 7 seconds left, so be it, do it. Just make sure you launch a prayer before the buzzer sounds.

It's like most things in life, people don't question it because it's tradition...it's just always been that way, so they see no need for a change. And many rules were put in place before others came about and changed the way the game was played. That the game is 48 minutes, is four quarters long with an intermission and the season is 82 games is one thing but some rules no longer apply as they used to. In the old days, they were trying to avoid final scores of 26-21 and 46-33. We'd still see that if there was no shot clock and no rules like I talked about abolishing.

Finally, the backcourt violation, as I said, gives the defense an unfair advantage. It was one thing back before the shot clock and they were trying to speed the game up but now you give the defense an extra out-of-bounds boundary and for what? If you wanna take it back, take it back but get a shot off before the shot clock buzzer. As for the 5-second violation, it stops teams from icing the clock with a big lead but in the final minutes, when the clock doesn't tick after a made basket, it becomes pointless so there shouldn't be a 5-second violation in the final minutes.

Capt Bringdown
07-20-2016, 06:26 AM
3 Pointers = ABA clown ball.
Get rid of 'em!

Caltex2
07-20-2016, 06:59 AM
3 Pointers = ABA clown ball.
Get rid of 'em!

The game would change for the better if they were done away with or moved beyond the halfcourt line. Suddenly, players would have to develop a skillset instead of jacking up 3's non-stop.

Keepin' it real
07-20-2016, 11:18 AM
What rules would you like to see done away with?

Get rid of free throws. This has nothing to do with hack-a-shack. FTs bring the game to a grinding halt. FTs are the football equivalent of field goals. BORING. Simply give the ball back to the team that was fouled. Play on.

Get rid of corner 3s. Then, redo the points system based on shot complexity:

One point: Uncontested layups.
Two points: Contested layups and/or uncontested floaters and close/midrange jumpers.
Three points: Uncontested shots behind the 3 point line and/or long/midrange shots while contested by one defender. (Example: Timmy's shot over Shaq in game 5 of 2004. That was easily worth an extra point for degree of difficulty.)
Four points: Contested 3 pointers (Example: Sean's 3 pointer over Rasheed in '99, although if played under these new rules, it would have been only 3 points due to no more corner 3s.) or long/midrange shots while contested by two defenders.
Five points: Shots from behind halfcourt.

Judges' scorecards unveiled by quarter. Finally, because a lot of the scoring (contested/uncontested) would be subjective, a panel of judges (like the slam dunk contest) would unveil scores at the end of each quarter. And because the NBA is a ratings whore, you could have celebrity judges, too.

The above is not a comprehensive plan because I'm, you know, working and doing this quickly while on break. So there might be one or two kinks to work out.

Do it Adam Silver! Do it, and see the ratings go through the roof!!!

Biggems
07-20-2016, 08:26 PM
How about calling offensive fouls when the defender is vertical and merely occupting his space, which he should be allowed to do. When the offensive player initiates all the contact and even uses body contact to force the defender to move backwards. Also when the offenive player kicks out his leg, jumps sideways into, or backwards into the defender to draw a foul, it should be either an offensive foul or a no call.

ambchang
07-20-2016, 09:01 PM
Actually enforce the rules.

Caltex2
07-20-2016, 11:17 PM
Get rid of free throws. This has nothing to do with hack-a-shack. FTs bring the game to a grinding halt. FTs are the football equivalent of field goals. BORING. Simply give the ball back to the team that was fouled. Play on.

Get rid of corner 3s. Then, redo the points system based on shot complexity:

One point: Uncontested layups.
Two points: Contested layups and/or uncontested floaters and close/midrange jumpers.
Three points: Uncontested shots behind the 3 point line and/or long/midrange shots while contested by one defender. (Example: Timmy's shot over Shaq in game 5 of 2004. That was easily worth an extra point for degree of difficulty.)
Four points: Contested 3 pointers (Example: Sean's 3 pointer over Rasheed in '99, although if played under these new rules, it would have been only 3 points due to no more corner 3s.) or long/midrange shots while contested by two defenders.
Five points: Shots from behind halfcourt.

Judges' scorecards unveiled by quarter. Finally, because a lot of the scoring (contested/uncontested) would be subjective, a panel of judges (like the slam dunk contest) would unveil scores at the end of each quarter. And because the NBA is a ratings whore, you could have celebrity judges, too.

The above is not a comprehensive plan because I'm, you know, working and doing this quickly while on break. So there might be one or two kinks to work out.

Do it Adam Silver! Do it, and see the ratings go through the roof!!!

I think you're messing around here in most ways but I wouldn't say get rid of free throws but instead raise the count that it takes to get into the penalty. 7 seems like a better number than 5 and even then, maybe they could do the bonus and double bonus like in college.

StrengthAndHonor
07-20-2016, 11:21 PM
Tech foul for taunting. That's really stupid AF.

Caltex2
07-23-2016, 03:32 AM
I just realized I got my 5-second rules confused in this thread (the closely guarded rule and the inbounding violation), so sorry about that.