PDA

View Full Version : Netflix "Stranger Things"

RandomGuy
07-19-2016, 10:15 AM
Good series.

Very retro 80's in look, feel, and of course setting.

If you like Stephen King, this is as good an homage to his style as it gets.

I. Hustle
07-19-2016, 11:21 AM
What it's about, man? I am like the Stephen King.

leemajors
07-19-2016, 12:21 PM
it's a mishmash of a bunch of 80s stuff, pretty entertaining but not terribly original.

RandomGuy
07-19-2016, 12:34 PM
What it's about, man? I am like the Stephen King.

Scary monster from another dimension, evil goverment experiment, small town sheriff.

Lee is spot on. Not original.

Fun to watch, but don't expect anything that isn't derivative.

SpursforSix
07-19-2016, 12:44 PM
So I see they are actually redoing "It" for a theater release. Anyone remotely excited? I thought the TV series was pretty good until the craziness and shitty special effects in the end.

I. Hustle
07-19-2016, 12:53 PM
Scary monster from another dimension, evil goverment experiment, small town sheriff.

Lee is spot on. Not original.

Fun to watch, but don't expect anything that isn't derivative.

So is it like "From A Buick 8"?

DJR210
07-19-2016, 02:33 PM
I'm on like episode 9.. good series to watch w/ the fam in between Lucky Louie, GoT, and Bloodline which I have in rotation ATM

I. Hustle
07-19-2016, 03:33 PM

Spur|n|Austin
07-19-2016, 03:45 PM
I hear it's kind of Spielbergesque meets the X-Files. I'm excited to check it out.

Capt Bringdown
07-19-2016, 04:11 PM
A pastiche of Stephen King, Speilberg and ABC afterschool specials. Watchable, but not memorable.
Too much banking on 80's nostalgia and the work of others.

leemajors
07-19-2016, 10:02 PM

More the Body or It, but I'm only halfway through. And Poltergeist, Close encounters, and a ton of other shit.

I. Hustle
07-20-2016, 08:20 AM
Ok, so I gave it a shot and watched the first two episodes last night. Not bad at all. Didn't care for the two ugly teens trying to get it on. I think they could have gone with a hotter chick. Solid start.

leemajors
07-20-2016, 10:45 PM
I think this show would be way better without Ryder tbh

KarmaKarma
07-20-2016, 11:21 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed this series. :wakeup

Chris
07-22-2016, 04:20 PM
Binge watched it in less than 24 hours. Everything is nice and tidy here. It takes everything good from the 80's and mashes it into a fun sci-fi story. Not mad that it borrowed a lot of ideas from King/Koontz/Spielberg; I think it's more of an homage or a tribute, and it is well done. Ryder and the rest of the actors were terrific, especially the kids. A gem among the garbage that is being shown in the movie theaters these days.

chunticakes
07-22-2016, 06:21 PM
Binge watched it in less than 24 hours. Everything is nice and tidy here. It takes everything good from the 80's and mashes it into a fun sci-fi story. Not mad that it borrowed a lot of ideas from King/Koontz/Spielberg; I think it's more of an homage or a tribute, and it is well done. Ryder and the rest of the actors were terrific, especially the kids. A gem among the garbage that is being shown in the movie theaters these days.

I saw it all one night too and I couldn't agree more. Winona Ryder looks like a TOSB, however. :lol

Chris
07-22-2016, 07:25 PM
I saw it all one night too and I couldn't agree more. Winona Ryder looks like a TOSB, however. :lol

:lol age does us all in sadly, but she still got it imo

KarmaKarma
07-22-2016, 11:41 PM
Agreed. She still does, considering she is mid 40s......

JMarkJohns
07-23-2016, 01:53 AM
Synth scores are the best.

leemajors
07-23-2016, 10:22 AM
Synth scores are the best.

yeah, two dudes from Austin did the score:

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/meet-the-guys-behind-the-music-from-your-new-favorite-show-stranger-things?utm_source=dmfb

Boogie Munster
07-23-2016, 10:58 AM
yeah, two dudes from Austin did the score:

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/meet-the-guys-behind-the-music-from-your-new-favorite-show-stranger-things?utm_source=dmfb

I was supposed to book these guys (S U R V I V E) a show in San Antonio last year. We could never sort out the details so it never happened. Now they are going to blow up huge. My friend in Austin distributes their records and sold out their LP 3 days after the show premiered. Happy for them. They are extremely talented.

Chris
07-23-2016, 03:41 PM
amazing intro theme

FpHNlx0pPIU

JMarkJohns
07-23-2016, 05:06 PM
Score has been better than most of the show, and the show has been very good.

Just an incredible feel provided by the score.

Chris
07-23-2016, 05:15 PM
Season 2 confirmed with same character; different plot (obviously)

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/stranger-things-finale-duffer-brothers-interview-season-2-1201816664/

oh crap
07-23-2016, 05:15 PM
on episode 5. not bad.

redzero
07-29-2016, 02:02 AM
It's funny that the climax of the second season of Fargo wound up being just as weird as the climax of Stranger Things.

Also, cop marries woman, woman gives birth to daughter, daughter dies, cop and woman divorce, cop becomes alcoholic and discovers a wide-reaching conspiracy. Sounds like any character you know?

07-29-2016, 06:34 AM
It's funny that the climax of the second season of Fargo wound up being just as weird as the climax of Stranger Things.

Also, cop marries woman, woman gives birth to daughter, daughter dies, cop and woman divorce, cop becomes alcoholic and discovers a wide-reaching conspiracy. Sounds like any character you know?
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=16145&dateline=1392718639

InRareForm
08-04-2016, 11:36 PM
It was good. Not great

JMarkJohns
08-04-2016, 11:45 PM
It was good. Not great

It had several great elements. I felt it started stronger than it finished. Which seems to be typical for these miniseries.

Hell, even Breaking Bad's last few episodes declined from Ozymandias.

The score and soundtrack was perfect, from White Rabbit, to Heroes cover by Peter Gabriel, to the actual synth, it was on point with every mood.

Several characters were very well done. Teenagers sorta all sucked.

The Sheriff was cool. The Science teacher was cool.

I felt the government agency should have felt a bit more ominous. They felt like incompetent dupes in the grand scheme. Never fully explored or understood the significance of the agency's existence or experiments that creates the parallel dimension.

The series was either two episodes too long or too short, probably.

I'd give entire series a B+... I've seen it twice, so it holds rewatchability.

Reck
08-05-2016, 02:52 AM
Very solid. The show kept me wanting more.

I think shows like these are better off being anthologies. Each season being totally different.

Wynona drove me insane though. There's so much crying and yelling one can take tbh.

leemajors
08-05-2016, 06:56 AM
It had several great elements. I felt it started stronger than it finished. Which seems to be typical for these miniseries.

Hell, even Breaking Bad's last few episodes declined from Ozymandias.

The score and soundtrack was perfect, from White Rabbit, to Heroes cover by Peter Gabriel, to the actual synth, it was on point with every mood.

Several characters were very well done. Teenagers sorta all sucked.

The Sheriff was cool. The Science teacher was cool.

I felt the government agency should have felt a bit more ominous. They felt like incompetent dupes in the grand scheme. Never fully explored or understood the significance of the agency's existence or experiments that creates the parallel dimension.

The series was either two episodes too long or too short, probably.

I'd give entire series a B+... I've seen it twice, so it holds rewatchability.

Interesting, I thought the last three episodes were far more compelling than the previous ones. It finally got more of its identity and seemed like less of a hodgepodge of previous movies/books to me. I thought it was amusing the the Duffer bros were born in 84 and set this before they were born. I also agree with Rech about Winona, but she was toned down more in the last three eps so that was part of it for me.

Findog
08-05-2016, 02:37 PM
Am I the only person that didn't like this show? It was a slog to get through.

JMarkJohns
08-05-2016, 05:37 PM
Interesting, I thought the last three episodes were far more compelling than the previous ones. It finally got more of its identity and seemed like less of a hodgepodge of previous movies/books to me. I thought it was amusing the the Duffer bros were born in 84 and set this before they were born. I also agree with Rech about Winona, but she was toned down more in the last three eps so that was part of it for me.

Oh, I absolutely agree with your take, but I happened to really enjoy the borrowed feel and re-adapted plots. As the film progressed it became less about the mystery of it all and more about search & rescue/destroy. Which was fine, but I preferred the setup and the mystery that shrouded the agency, it's experiments, it's accidental creation and why 11 was so important.

Ultimately 11 was a weapon. But we never really got to know why, or to what strategic end. Had she not screamed the parallel universe into existence, what were her and the agency's greater significance? I thought they'd tie it all together and didn't get that.

Then again, True Detective did and was worse off for it, so it doesn't always work.

Darth_Pelican
08-05-2016, 10:46 PM
http://www.slashfilm.com/stranger-things-questions-answered/

Capt Bringdown
08-06-2016, 12:05 AM
amazing intro theme

Heavily "influenced" by this soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWNSc6bU8eI

cd021
08-07-2016, 06:37 PM

Just finished ep. 4

its 3/5 its not terrible but I can't watch it in one sitting, I usually break each show down into two halves.

gambit1990
08-07-2016, 08:00 PM
haven't seen it, been hearing good things about it. i just finished season 1 of narcos so this could the next show i watch.

lefty
08-08-2016, 09:41 AM
Overall I really liked this show

They managed to recreate that 80s atmosphere and cheesiness; a lot of references too, including the not so subtle E.T ones :lol

Hopper was badass ,ALPHA :worthy:

Didn't know Ryder and Modine were in this show tbh, I thought the acting was pretty good

By the way, the actor who plays Steve looks familiar

SpursforSix
08-24-2016, 08:33 AM
Finished this last night. Went in with tempered expectations. From the reviews, I thought it was going to be overly campy like Creepshow. Which it wasn't. I really enjoyed this. Maybe partly because it seemed kind of fresh. Not sure if a second season will hit me the same way.

The acting was good. The girl that played Eleven did a heck of a job. Wonder if she'll somehow come back next season. Perfect role for Winona Rider although it's wearing to watch her that neurotic for that long. The cop was good as well. And Matthew Modine was a good choice for the doc.

I agree with everyone above about the score. Really awesome and was exactly right for this show. Mixed in with some 80's songs.

I liked the first half better than the second. Maybe because there was still some mystery of what was going on. But no complaints.

8/10

LaMarcus Bryant
08-24-2016, 10:21 AM
Watched it all in one day.
Great show. Loved picking out all the references and homages.

gambit1990
08-24-2016, 11:30 AM
i liked it. didn't think it's the greatest thing ever like some people though.

feels like stephen king/the goonies/goosebumps in one.

i love the theme song.

I. Hustle
08-24-2016, 01:05 PM
i liked it. didn't think it's the greatest thing ever like some people though.

feels like stephen king/the goonies/goosebumps in one.

i love the theme song.

You don't have to think it's the greatest show ever to like it.

gambit1990
08-24-2016, 01:29 PM
You don't have to think it's the greatest show ever to like it.
i know that. i said i like it.

SpursforSix
08-24-2016, 01:31 PM
i know that. i said i like it.

Same. But I sure wouldn't put it up there with Breaking Bad or anything.

I. Hustle
08-24-2016, 01:36 PM

or The Fresh Beat Band

gambit1990
08-24-2016, 01:42 PM
you bringing it up made me youtube hanks vs the twins. i think that parking lot scene is my favorite in the entire series.

SpursforSix
08-24-2016, 02:01 PM
you bringing it up made me youtube hanks vs the twins. i think that parking lot scene is my favorite in the entire series.

I really need to go back and watch the whole thing again without the long breaks in between seasons.

lefty
09-03-2016, 12:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrpWyh_oJwc

vander
09-07-2016, 12:33 AM
Scary monster from another dimension, evil goverment experiment, small town sheriff...

... and some adventurous nerdy 80's kids.

just watched the first episode and I'm hooked

Blake
03-19-2017, 12:33 AM
ET, goonies, poltergeist, alien and more 80s flicks rolled into one made me like the nostalgia feel of it. Overall just an average show/movie/whatever.

Blake
03-19-2017, 12:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrpWyh_oJwc

Rofl Barb.

MI21
03-20-2017, 06:14 AM

Enjoyed the first few eps, struggled through the last 3 or 4. About a 6/10 for me.

InRareForm
03-20-2017, 09:18 AM
I thought it was good, but people overhype it too much

Xevious
03-20-2017, 02:10 PM
They nailed the 80s vibe. The show was pure nostalgia for me. I liked it a lot.

SpursforSix
03-20-2017, 02:23 PM

Yep. From the soundtrack to the graphics to the actual show. It was a better Stephen King movie than almost any Stephen King movie. But I can definitely see the point of view as it being "OK" for someone not growing up in that era.

lefty20
07-21-2017, 06:04 PM
By the way, the actor who plays Steve looks familiar

Looks like the pizza obsessed guy in Domino's commercials.

Loved the show and the theme song was awesome as well. Looking 4ward to season 2.

Venti Quattro
07-22-2017, 11:08 PM
October 27

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgS2L7WPIO4

Xevious
07-22-2017, 11:52 PM
:tu

lefty
07-27-2017, 09:35 PM
Cool trailer tbh

illusioNtEk
08-01-2017, 10:30 PM
Just started watching during my work outs at the gym, on EP4... love it so far

RandomGuy
08-02-2017, 10:28 AM

+1

I had to explain a lot to my kids.

Darth_Pelican
10-30-2017, 02:25 PM
Anyone start season 2 yet? I will try to sometime this week.

The Gemini Method
10-30-2017, 02:31 PM
Anyone start season 2 yet? I will try to sometime this week. I did. I enjoyed it. It really got me and the lady friend caught up most of Friday night. Had to put it on hold due to a Halloween party on Saturday, but finished it on Sunday. I thought the season was well written as it expands on Will's disappearance and goes into more of the Upside Down. I thought it was slightly better than the 1st season. I like the more use of 80's nostalgia that lines the season. I think, if you liked the initial season, you'll find this one good. I also thought there were some situations that kind of wavered (Elle's side journey) Overall, I really enjoyed it.

Darth_Pelican
10-30-2017, 03:16 PM
I did. I enjoyed it. It really got me and the lady friend caught up most of Friday night. Had to put it on hold due to a Halloween party on Saturday, but finished it on Sunday. I thought the season was well written as it expands on Will's disappearance and goes into more of the Upside Down. I thought it was slightly better than the 1st season. I like the more use of 80's nostalgia that lines the season. I think, if you liked the initial season, you'll find this one good. I also thought there were some situations that kind of wavered (Elle's side journey) Overall, I really enjoyed it.

Thanks. Do you think it's necessary to re-watch the season 1 finale to remember everything that happened, or do they give a pretty good recap at the beginning of season 2?

lefty20
10-30-2017, 03:32 PM
I also thought there were some situations that kind of wavered (Elle's side journey)

It felt like this was a setup for future seasons. It obviously had very little relevance to this season.

RandomGuy
10-30-2017, 03:37 PM
Anyone start season 2 yet? I will try to sometime this week.

Good so far. Haven't binge watched the whole thing, but the pacing, writing and acting are all on par with the first season.

The Gemini Method
10-30-2017, 04:34 PM
Thanks. Do you think it's necessary to re-watch the season 1 finale to remember everything that happened, or do they give a pretty good recap at the beginning of season 2? If you have time or if you have problems recovering past seasons, maybe. But I don't think it is a necessity. I watch a ton of shows so I just glanced over the recap of the 1st season so it kind of refreshed my memory and I was able to follow Season 2 without much loss.I may go back and watch it just for the supposed Easter Eggs. But we'll see.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-30-2017, 06:04 PM
:tu

Looking forward to watching it. Will probably binge it next weekend.

JMarkJohns
10-31-2017, 07:59 AM
Season 2 starts a bit slow, has a few unnecessary characters and plot points, which ultimately made the middle feel overly complicated, a bit scattered, but the season coalesces nicely by episode 8-9.

Not nearly as “fun” as Season 1, but in the end, very entertaining, and last two episodes brought some classic 70s/80s horror tension. Did a good job of many more, but more subtle homages to 80s classic scenes.

Also, Billy is definitely growing up to be Wild Bill from Silence Of The Lambs.

LaMarcus Bryant
10-31-2017, 01:44 PM
People ripped episode 7 with Elle's side story :lol funny shit to read online.

Gonna finish it tonight. Feels better to non-binge, no matter how tempting.

lefty
11-02-2017, 07:49 AM
It was good, not great, good.
As usual a lot of 80s Easter Eggs.

Hopper is still the coolest, most badass TV Alpha character ever tbh

Capt Bringdown
11-02-2017, 08:38 PM
Season 2: a crashing bore.

chunticakes
11-03-2017, 04:05 AM
People ripped episode 7 with Elle's side story :lol funny shit to read online.

Gonna finish it tonight. Feels better to non-binge, no matter how tempting.

Did people really dress like that and live in abandoned warehouses in the 80s?!

LaMarcus Bryant
11-03-2017, 07:10 AM
Did people really dress like that and live in abandoned warehouses in the 80s?!

Consensus seems to be was a backdoor test pilot. Which obviously failed miserably lol. Worse rated episode on IMDB and it's a CLEAR outlier LOL.
Tho it was cool to see all the Grant Morrison references in their warehouse...Barbelith, King Mob, O'Bedlam..
https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/31666/1089084-invisibles_1.jpg

Proxy
11-13-2017, 02:04 PM
season 2 has been shit so far, I don't know if I'll even watch the last episode. Not sure what happened to the quality of writing that season 1 had

Blake
11-13-2017, 03:37 PM
Not sure why everyone is beating up season 2. I thought it was entertaining enough.

The only problem I had was that it lost it's sense of mystery that the first one had. I was also hoping for more of the Upside Down dimension instead of just a bunch of tunnels running underneath the town

SpursforSix
11-13-2017, 03:44 PM
Yeah...it was decent enough. I think the first one was so novel when it came out that it would be impossible to recreate the freshness that it had.
Not sure how long they'll be able to keep it going though. Hopefully, the writers know when to end it. I'm predicting one more season.

Blake
11-13-2017, 05:00 PM
Well the question is what will ultimately happen with Eleven.

She'll inevitably have her strain herself again to save the world, so will she: 1. Die 2. Lose her power 3. Fly away with aliens

SpursforSix
11-13-2017, 05:07 PM
Well the question is what will ultimately happen with Eleven.

She'll inevitably have her strain herself again to save the world, so will she: 1. Die 2. Lose her power 3. Fly away with aliens

I'm thinking that she and Mike will fall in love and it will turn into a youth version of Bewitched. It'll be called "Oh Eleven". Eleven will use her powers to do everyday things like wash the dishes or cook dinner.
And at the end of every episode, she'll screw something up and Mike will say "Oh Eleven". Freeze frame and out.

Blake
11-13-2017, 05:15 PM
Eleventh Heaven

monosylab1k
11-13-2017, 05:27 PM
Season 2 was decent, but it got a bit stale, and all the new characters/ideas sucked. Next season could really suck if they don’t figure out something new to do with these characters and not rely 100% on Eighties nostalgia.

SpursforSix
11-13-2017, 05:29 PM
Eleventh Heaven

Not bad. What about "That Lazy Bitch Eleven".

So she's always using her powers to do little trivial shit but meanwhile the upside down monsters are taking over the world. But somehow she accidentally saves the world every time.
Like maybe she fucks up a stew recipe and after the monster breaks in to the house and eats it, he dies.

Mike comes home and sees the exploded monster all over the walls. "Oh Eleven".

Blake
11-13-2017, 05:35 PM
Season 2 was decent, but it got a bit stale, and all the new characters/ideas sucked. Next season could really suck if they don’t figure out something new to do with these characters and not rely 100% on Eighties nostalgia.

Yeah, way too much camera time on that big brother douche that beat up on Steve during basketball practice

SpursforSix
11-13-2017, 05:37 PM
Yeah, way too much camera time on that big brother douche that beat up on Steve during basketball practice

Was just about to mention this. Seems like they were going to involve him in the final showdown somehow. In the end, there wasn't much point to him. Unless they're building for next season.

SpursforSix
11-13-2017, 05:37 PM
Was just about to mention this. Seems like they were going to involve him in the final showdown somehow. In the end, there wasn't much point to him. Unless they're building for next season.

I mean...the whole scene when he was flirting with the mom...I didn't get the point.

LaMarcus Bryant
11-14-2017, 10:19 AM

For real....what was the point of the deviant older brother douche kicking ass and being a dick all the time
Then they show his dad totally pwn him and we're supposed to feel sorry for him or something? Then nearly murdering poor Steve LOL

Guy was kinda pointless.

Texas_Ranger
11-14-2017, 10:50 AM
Fuck ep 7. Everything else was pretty good... oh, and the show didn't need the power ranger bully, but i guess the creators like Stephen King.

Blake
11-16-2017, 12:06 PM
https://i.imgur.com/LNuIysS.jpg

Xevious
11-17-2017, 11:45 AM
I liked it. Though I agree that episode seven and the story line leading up to it was weak. Not sure where they were going with that.

SpursforSix
11-17-2017, 12:08 PM
I liked it. Though I agree that episode seven and the story line leading up to it was weak. Not sure where they were going with that.

My guess would be that they'll bring the other experiment chick back at some point. But it was weird to do a whole episode on it. Although she did show 11 how to use her anger to increase her power. Which was used to close the portal. IDK. I expect to see Mullet and the other number girl next season.

Unless the the writers are so stumped that they just needed to fill up time so they could deliver episodes.

I like the show but I think it's got a very limited life span. The novelty of the 80's won't carry it if the writing sucks.

Capt Bringdown
11-18-2017, 02:30 PM
The Strangest Thing about season 2 was that as I watched, I couldn't remember what I liked about Season one.

Reck
11-26-2017, 04:37 AM
Great series and great season 2.

It was already renewed for a 3rd and 4th season even before season 2 was released. So good news there.

We've already saw the first blemished on the series with that super shitty episode about Eleven and her boring new group. I hope that's an idea that they explored and then abandoned for the future because it did not work at all.

Premiere setup and the episode that culminated in this mess is all you need to know this side project failed.

AaronY
11-26-2017, 12:25 PM
I like that the seasons are short. 8 episodes, 9 episodes, etc doesn't drag on. Gives it a punch that would not be there if it was 13 or 16 episodes and drawn out

monosylab1k
11-26-2017, 05:40 PM
lol

Chris
11-26-2017, 05:42 PM
lol

Great work Sherlock :lol

Blake
11-26-2017, 07:44 PM

Loll the boycott

AaronY
11-27-2017, 03:58 AM
Netflix boycott really is one of the most gooberish he's done and thats really saying something if you've examined his posts closely. They got like hundreds of millions of subscribers and theyre growing like crazy so its not doing anything to hurt them. Plus you get like a shitload of movies and TV shows for like $10 so youre just shooting yourself in the foot.

But hey gotta fight dat culture war!

Xevious
11-27-2017, 05:29 AM
Netflix boycott really is one of the most gooberish he's done and thats really saying something if you've examined his posts closely. They got like hundreds of millions of subscribers and theyre growing like crazy so its not doing anything to hurt them. Plus you get like a shitload of movies and TV shows for like $10 so youre just shooting yourself in the foot.

But hey gotta fight dat culture war!
The fuck are you talking about? He single handedly got Chelsea Handler cancelled. Better watch out, the Marvel shows and Stranger Things are next.

leemajors
11-27-2017, 11:43 AM
The fuck are you talking about? He single handedly got Chelsea Handler cancelled. Better watch out, the Marvel shows and Stranger Things are next.

Did he? She still has a deal with netflix, the show just got canceled.

Xevious
11-27-2017, 08:47 PM
Did he? She still has a deal with netflix, the show just got canceled.

He thinks so anyway. :lol

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271353

Spurtacular
11-28-2017, 09:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=25&v=npcqBt_e4k0

spurraider21
05-14-2018, 04:34 PM
Just watched seasons 1 and 2 for the first time. Pretty good show, tbh. Season 2 was not quite as good as season 1, but still thoroughly enjoyable. There was just a lot less mystery around season 2. One of the great plot functions of season 1 was Eleven's constant flashbacks to her experimentation, which slowly revealed the extent of her powers, the motivation of Hawkins Lab, and what the hell the upside down was. Season 2 had a lot less of that.

I really like the evolution of Steve... in season 1 he was a douche trying to take advantage of a nice prude girl, but by the end of season 1 you realize that nancy was basically a bitch and steve actually changed for the better. Steve mentoring Dustin was pretty cool, too.

My main criticism of season 2 was Eleven's side story. They tease Kali in the beginning of season 1, then don't touch up on her until midway through the season, where she basically has 1 episode and then eleven just leaves anyway. All that buildup for Eleven learning to focus her powers? btw, that scene was basically a remake of Xavier helping Magneto in X-Men First Class

RandomGuy
05-14-2018, 06:07 PM
Just watched seasons 1 and 2 for the first time. Pretty good show, tbh. Season 2 was not quite as good as season 1, but still thoroughly enjoyable. There was just a lot less mystery around season 2. One of the great plot functions of season 1 was Eleven's constant flashbacks to her experimentation, which slowly revealed the extent of her powers, the motivation of Hawkins Lab, and what the hell the upside down was. Season 2 had a lot less of that.

I really like the evolution of Steve... in season 1 he was a douche trying to take advantage of a nice prude girl, but by the end of season 1 you realize that nancy was basically a bitch and steve actually changed for the better. Steve mentoring Dustin was pretty cool, too.

My main criticism of season 2 was Eleven's side story. They tease Kali in the beginning of season 1, then don't touch up on her until midway through the season, where she basically has 1 episode and then eleven just leaves anyway. All that buildup for Eleven learning to focus her powers? btw, that scene was basically a remake of Xavier helping Magneto in X-Men First Class

Yeah, I didn't get that either.

Looks like they had the luxury of setting up future plot lines in season 2, knowing they could hit them in the future. Fleshing out the characters and so forth was fun to watch as they got a bit more depth.

RandomGuy
05-14-2018, 06:08 PM
Great work Sherlock :lol

Maybe you can get Lucifer cancelled next.

Hail Satan.

Chris
05-14-2018, 06:12 PM
Maybe you can get Lucifer cancelled next.

Hail Satan.

“Therefore come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you.”
-2 Corinthians 6:17

Blake
05-14-2018, 06:46 PM
“Therefore come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you.”

Lol Disney ban!

RandomGuy
05-16-2018, 12:47 PM

Bacon is tasty. I like mixed fabrics.

Hail Satan.

leemajors
07-23-2018, 11:34 AM
I had watched the first ep of the second season when it came out, didn't hook me. Watched the second ep and got hooked with the mind flayer, really enjoyed it.

spurraider21
09-03-2019, 11:05 AM
season 3 was another really strong entry. i do miss the more mysterious feel of season 1, but i dont really see how they can go back to that. i'm still pleased with the quality of the show

lefty
09-03-2019, 04:17 PM
Eh I wish Stranger had a different paranormal event each season, it would have been better if it was a hot bed for different weird stuff
Looks like season 4 will deal with Russian demogorgon , fuck that

Darth_Pelican
04-13-2022, 09:27 AM
yQEondeGvKo

Reck
04-13-2022, 11:09 AM
Netflix let the hype completely disappear by putting this show off for so long. I don’t care that much about this show anymore. Most people I talk to forgot all about it too.

leemajors
04-13-2022, 12:17 PM
yQEondeGvKo

Looks great, tbh

Robz4000
04-13-2022, 03:20 PM
Netflix let the hype completely disappear by putting this show off for so long. I don’t care that much about this show anymore. Most people I talk to forgot all about it too.

:lol and now all the kids are in their 20s

leemajors
04-13-2022, 09:41 PM

If it’s good, who cares. There’s thousands of other things to watch in the meantime

lefty
04-14-2022, 01:08 AM
S4 seems to have a different vibes from the previous seasons tbh

lefty
05-27-2022, 05:17 PM
Reminder : new episode today

Reck
05-27-2022, 07:54 PM
They held the last two episodes for a month. Ok?

Blake
05-28-2022, 08:28 AM
I had no idea S4 was available to watch. I guess they got to get the sheriff back

lefty
05-28-2022, 11:11 AM
What a shit episode, super slow

But at least we may be getting something different than the fucking demogorgons

Blake
05-28-2022, 11:46 AM

Dormammu?

daboom1
05-28-2022, 01:52 PM
Best season so far, I was really impressed tbh

SnakeBoy
05-29-2022, 06:04 PM
Best season so far, I was really impressed tbh

I just started watching. So far nothing has happened at all, just kids trying to fit in at high school. I hope it gets better.

daboom1
05-29-2022, 06:14 PM
I just started watching. So far nothing has happened at all, just kids trying to fit in at high school. I hope it gets better.

It gets 1000% better

Dick Jones
05-30-2022, 02:15 PM
It’s funny, after season 1, Mike has become basically useless & at this point he’s just a lifeless plot device to emotionally motivate Eleven…but Finn Wolfhard is the most famous of the male actors so they’re forced to try and make him relevant :lol

Season 4 is okay, but my goodness they bloated each episode with so much pretentious dialogue, it’s like watching The Matrix Reloaded except you skip most of the action and just watch The Merovingian and The Architect blather on endlessly.

lefty
05-31-2022, 10:00 AM

I've watched 5 episodes so far

I have to admit, so far it's better than what I was expecting

Trill Clinton
05-31-2022, 10:31 AM
This is the best season imo.

SnakeBoy
05-31-2022, 01:18 PM
It gets 1000% better

You weren't wrong. Best season yet.

daboom1
05-31-2022, 02:28 PM
You weren't wrong. Best season yet.

Yes!

Darth_Pelican
05-31-2022, 03:14 PM
3 episodes into S4. Loving it

leemajors
05-31-2022, 03:24 PM
Really enjoyed it, but aside from the last episode, Vecna has been kinda disappointing.

lefty
05-31-2022, 07:11 PM
Ok ok ok Just finished S4

Well done, tbh :tu

Edit : still 2 episodes left, up in July

lefty
05-31-2022, 07:12 PM
3 episodes into S4. Loving it

It will get even better

lefty
05-31-2022, 07:33 PM
Didn’t recognize Robert Englund tbh

spurraider21
05-31-2022, 09:04 PM
gotta get on this soon. still have a few episodes of ozark to wrap up first

daboom1
05-31-2022, 09:21 PM
Last 2 episodes of Season 4 are supposed to be "movie length" so 2 hours 30 mins per I'm assuming. Episodes so far are well over an hour.

Trill Clinton
06-02-2022, 09:22 AM
https://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/wow.png

Blake
06-02-2022, 12:25 PM
In episode 1 where the basketball team captain is talking about remembering people it reminded me of this clip

nrpWyh_oJwc

lefty
06-02-2022, 12:29 PM

super powered Vecna just watching Max run away
I dunno. I feel like he should be able to stop her

Trill Clinton
06-02-2022, 12:38 PM
super powered Vecna just watching Max run away
I dunno. I feel like he should be able to stop her

Do you see his beer belly? He can't chase her. He tried using telekinesis but it wasn't enough to overpower Kate Bush's classic. He should have summoned the demon bats instead.

lefty
06-05-2022, 12:59 PM
Do you see his beer belly?.

Right, I forgot he’s Murican

Blake
06-06-2022, 11:28 PM
Do you see his beer belly? He can't chase her. He tried using telekinesis but it wasn't enough to overpower Kate Bush's classic. He should have summoned the demon bats instead.

Lessons on how to take an obscure 80s song and send it to the top of the charts almost 40 years later

Blake
06-06-2022, 11:34 PM
I was thinking towards the end there how are they supposed to tie all this together and then incredibly tied it to together perfectly.

Of the new cast, Eddie is an awesome character. Argyle is terrible.

spurraider21
06-18-2022, 12:06 PM
Just finished episode 4… max running up that hill.

wow this season is outrageously good :tu

except hopper having super soldier healing powers apparently :lol

spurraider21
06-18-2022, 12:09 PM
went back and rewatched the scene a couple times after just having finished the episode :tu :tu :tu

spurraider21
06-20-2022, 05:09 PM
just finished the season (or the part that is currently available).

still think its quite good, and while i like the reveal in concept, was kinda just spoonfed in a long exposition-fest, so not a huge fan of the delivery there. still, intense stuff and cant wait for these final episodes

spurraider21
06-21-2022, 01:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl_dTUsrU9s

leemajors
06-21-2022, 02:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl_dTUsrU9s

Been waiting for the rooftop guitar solo from the earlier trailer

spurraider21
06-23-2022, 01:12 PM
https://i.gyazo.com/15d72d6c30541fb2c89e0ec8807dd8b4.jpg

Dick Jones
06-23-2022, 05:33 PM
Season 1 is still easily the best season. Followed in a distance second place by 4, then 3, then 50 feet of crap, then 2.

spurraider21
06-23-2022, 07:09 PM
Season 1 is still easily the best season. Followed in a distance second place by 4, then 3, then 50 feet of crap, then 2.
a) agree with your ordering
b) got the moneyball reference
c) dont think 2 was bad by any stretch... but was definitely the weakest. eleven's arc with the goth kids was pointless

SnakeBoy
06-24-2022, 09:06 PM
a) agree with your ordering
b) got the moneyball reference
c) dont think 2 was bad by any stretch... but was definitely the weakest. eleven's arc with the goth kids was pointless

Pretty sure netflix was doing a test run for a spin off that never happened.

spurraider21
07-02-2022, 10:03 PM
Part 2 was pretty good. Wicked action sequence in the middle-end of finale. At the end of episode still felt a tad underwhelmed. Obv still looking forward to last season. I think it was always going to be tough to beat Dear Billy

daboom1
07-03-2022, 04:22 PM
Not sure why Eddie had to die. Looks like they are turning Will gay. Other than that, I enjoyed this season :tu

lefty
07-03-2022, 10:17 PM
Will is annoying as fuck tbh

Season 4 was great, well done

Blake
07-04-2022, 03:44 AM
Will is annoying as fuck tbh

Season 4 was great, well done

Ditto. Bravo on season 4. No surprises in the final two episodes but had cohesive action the whole time.

spurraider21
07-04-2022, 08:56 PM
Not sure why Eddie had to die. Looks like they are turning Will gay. Other than that, I enjoyed this season :tu
Will was always hinted at being gay. Go back and watch season 1. His dad would call him queer. Bullies at school said he is in fairyland and gay, etc. his awkwardness when asked to dance with a girl, etc

lefty
07-04-2022, 10:55 PM

Yeah not a fan of Eddie dying eithet, he was a great addition to the show
And the guitar scene was awesome

Blake
07-04-2022, 10:59 PM
I wish they killed the pizza surfer dude instead

daboom1
07-05-2022, 05:49 AM
Yeah not a fan of Eddie dying eithet, he was a great addition to the show
And the guitar scene was awesome

Maybe they can bring back Eddie in Season 5 :lol Also surprised they killed Papa Scientist (again)

spurraider21
07-05-2022, 09:31 AM
If Eddie didn’t die the show would feel too low stakes. They couldn’t even follow through with Max and had El go full matrix reloaded Neo

lefty
07-05-2022, 09:59 AM
Maybe they can bring back Eddie in Season 5 :lol Also surprised they killed Papa Scientist (again)
:lol I think Modine's character is done for good

Bringing Eddie back is not out of the question, as he has been framed for the murders/events and they could change the public opinion and his reputation in season 5

Now how would they do that?
Maybe the upside down has special properties we don't know about yet, he could wake up as a zombie but with a conscience, or Eleven could somehow bring him back - she hasn't reached her full potential yet

Imagine Eddie being the key to humanity's survival next season, would be cool tbh

lefty
07-05-2022, 10:02 AM
I still think Will be heavily featured next season tbh (duh)

spurraider21
07-05-2022, 12:07 PM
:lol I think Modine's character is done for good

Bringing Eddie back is not out of the question, as he has been framed for the murders/events and they could change the public opinion and his reputation in season 5

Now how would they do that?
Maybe the upside down has special properties we don't know about yet, he could wake up as a zombie but with a conscience, or Eleven could somehow bring him back - she hasn't reached her full potential yet

Imagine Eddie being the key to humanity's survival next season, would be cool tbh
so far all the upside down stuff has been kept from the public. maybe with the massive event at the end of season 4, that wont be possible going forward, but even now theyre just calling it an earthquake. pretty sure they'd never be able to publicly prove eddie's innocence, so him being alive would be pointless in that scenario. i just think they wanted to show some stakes but didnt have it in them to kill off main cast.

but yeah i did really like him as a character. they've done really well when it comes to adding characters each season. max/billy in season 2, robin in season 3, eddie in season 4

Blake
07-05-2022, 12:45 PM
If they bring Eddie back now it'll be cheesy and I'll be disappointed.

lefty
07-05-2022, 12:56 PM
but yeah i did really like him as a character. they've done really well when it comes to adding characters each season. max/billy in season 2, robin in season 3, eddie in season 4

Yep great additions tbh

lefty
07-05-2022, 12:57 PM
If they bring Eddie back now it'll be cheesy and I'll be disappointed.
Super Mega Munson !

lefty
07-05-2022, 12:59 PM
By the way, Hopper has to be the most Alpha character in the history of TV

I'm sure I'm forgetting others, though

spurraider21
07-05-2022, 01:04 PM
By the way, Hopper has to be the most Alpha character in the history of TV

I'm sure I'm forgetting others, though
his ankle has wolverine's healing factor tbh

Blake
07-05-2022, 01:07 PM
Is Max dead or in a coma?

lefty
07-05-2022, 01:25 PM

some kind of limbo I guess
El entered her mind but it was empty

Also found this theory online :

One fan took to Reddit when they realised Lucas was reading aloud from an iconic novel by Stephen King and Peter Straub, The Talisman.
This fantasy epic follows a 12-year-old named Jack who embarks on a dangerous quest to a strange land called The Territories in order to save his dying mother.
User JellybeanFernandez posted: “In The Talisman, the lead character is a kid whose mother is dying.
“The only way he can save her is by travelling to a different world, one that mirrors our world but is in a fantasy setting filled with monsters, to fulfil a quest and retrieve an amulet that can save her life.”

Stranger Things: Lucas couldn't protect Max from Vecna (Image: Netflix)
“I thought at first that it was just a homage to King by the Duffer Bros, but perhaps it gives good insight on Lucas’s path in season five.”
Stranger Things has featured several references to the iconic horror author so far, with the series drawing heavily from the likes of It, Stand By Me and Carrie

spurraider21
07-05-2022, 01:56 PM
well shes clearly not dead in that they had her in the hospital a couple of days later. but all kinds of fucked up, and like lefty said, el couldnt even interact with her in her head. i dont know how they're going to write it. even if she wakes up, her body was completely fucked up. those were not your simple bone fractures :lol

spurraider21
07-05-2022, 01:58 PM
but if her healing abilities are anywhere near hopper's she'll be just fine and up and running shortly

Blake
07-05-2022, 05:50 PM
I didn't know if she had flat lined at the end or not. It was like 3am and I was flat lining

daboom1
07-06-2022, 01:48 PM
https://twitter.com/StrangerNews11/status/1544361725289439233?t

Spurminator
07-06-2022, 02:10 PM

"Looks like" :lol

We've got an observant one here.

spurraider21
07-06-2022, 02:24 PM
https://twitter.com/StrangerNews11/status/1544361725289439233?t
there could be moments where any/all members of the gang get Vecna visions. Dustin's guilt over Eddie's death seems like an easy way for him to get on screen

leemajors
07-06-2022, 03:29 PM
"Looks like" :lol

We've got an observant one here.

Boycott Netflix!

Blake
07-06-2022, 03:31 PM
Boycott Netflix!

:lmao

steak n eggs
07-06-2022, 04:57 PM
Any theories on why Will seems to be somehow connected with the upside down/Vecna?

leemajors
07-06-2022, 05:02 PM
Any theories on why Will seems to be somehow connected with the upside down/Vecna?

Wasn't he there most of the first season?

Blake
07-06-2022, 05:05 PM

That's actually not a bad question since his connection seems different from everyone else that went down under

spurraider21
07-06-2022, 05:42 PM
That's actually not a bad question since his connection seems different from everyone else that went down under
he was also the host for the mind flayer in season 2

spurraider21
07-06-2022, 05:43 PM
or maybe they're signaling to us that gay people go to hell

steak n eggs
07-06-2022, 05:46 PM
Wasn't he there most of the first season?

He was. I guess I was just looking for a more clear connection other than just having been there. I’ll probably go back and watch season 1 and maybe 2 in order to look for some clues.

daboom1
07-07-2022, 04:26 AM
Will threw up a demogorgon at the end of season 1 and was possessed by the Mind Flayer all of Season 2. You don't need to look for clues.

Blake
07-07-2022, 10:22 AM
Great, then why didn't vecna just kill Will then

Darth_Pelican
07-07-2022, 10:37 AM
When Hopper walked into Elle's room tho.

SnakeBoy
07-07-2022, 04:00 PM

Because Vecna is gay too

lefty
07-07-2022, 06:20 PM

All Vecna’s victims were straight tbh

Blake
07-07-2022, 08:24 PM

"When asked if Max was still alive, Matt Duffer responded, "Right. Yeah, she's brain-dead, but she's alive. Brain-dead and blind." Ross Duffer added, "And all of her bones broken, but she's doing great.""

https://www.cbr.com/stranger-things-max-season-4-fate-explained-duffer-brothers-netflix/

steak n eggs
07-07-2022, 08:26 PM
Will threw up a demogorgon at the end of season 1 and was possessed by the Mind Flayer all of Season 2. You don't need to look for clues.

Thanks chief. I’ll be sure to not take your advice.

daboom1
07-07-2022, 08:48 PM
:lol

daboom1
07-08-2022, 06:43 PM
-tLHXchXRdM?

pgardn
07-08-2022, 08:03 PM
My wife is watching these. I sat in on a few...

I completely dont get the love for this.
At all. And obviously I fall way out of the mainstream as people I know are all about this stuff as well.
Middle school to HS kids falling for each other while trying to kill underground monsters via some special kid characteristic aided by some experiment on them?
Or some quirky characteristic that makes kids useful and adults stupid.

I can see how it gets a lot of age groups involved quite possibly though. Like evil Disney stuff.

And I really want the girl to bleed out of her eyes as well as her nose eventually. When she tries really, really hard.

daboom1
07-08-2022, 08:32 PM

At all. And obviously I fall way out of the mainstream as people I know are all about this stuff as well.
Middle school to HS kids falling for each other while trying to kill underground monsters via some special kid characteristic aided by some experiment on them?

I can see how it gets a lot of age groups involved quite possibly though. Like evil Disney stuff.

And I really want the girl to bleed out of her eyes as well as her nose eventually. When she tries really, really hard.

This show is probably too smart for you. Does your wife routinely roll her eyes when you are talking?

pgardn
07-08-2022, 09:47 PM
This show is probably too smart for you. Does your wife routinely roll her eyes when you are talking?

:lol:lol

This is actually good!
Good going Chrissy!

Yeah she does.

But mostly because I make fun of the show; kind of like I do of you and your fake religious attitude.
But dont worry. Remember you can act like a complete bastard because Christ will absolve you of all your stupidity. He made you this way on purpose so its not your fault.

spurraider21
07-09-2022, 03:53 PM

sometimes shows are supposed to be fun and not intellectually challenging

pgardn
07-10-2022, 09:53 PM
sometimes shows are supposed to be fun and not intellectually challenging

Fun does not necessarily come with repetition.
I can take the fun. But damn the same thing again and again?

accchhhh....Maybe like an amusement park ride. You want to go again I guess.