PDA

View Full Version : 247sports: Spurs interested in trading for Greg Monroe

Twisted_Dawg
07-19-2016, 08:07 PM
Not sure what to think of this, but don't think it will happen.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Spurs-interested-in-pursuing-a-trade-for-Greg-Monroe-46315897

TrainOfThought5
07-19-2016, 08:07 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.gif

slick'81
07-19-2016, 08:09 PM
Sign and trade for bonner

GSH
07-19-2016, 08:11 PM
http://static2.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/I+don+t+see+race+i+only+believe+that+i+m+white+_d4 e9645bf624085f90737c6b104d396a.gif

cd98
07-19-2016, 08:12 PM
Doubt it will happen.

Mr. Body
For who? I don't see it.

TrainOfThought5
Hes the opposite of what we need. We need a stout rebounder and athletic shotblocker, who cover the PnR when necessary, and excels at SCREENING, and the Dive/roll on the PnR

tonight...you
07-19-2016, 08:14 PM
Hes the opposite of what we need. We need a stout rebounder and athletic shotblocker, who cover the PnR when necessary, and excels at SCREENING, and the Dive/roll on the PnR
Yes.
YES.
YES!

cd98
07-19-2016, 08:19 PM
My feeling is that mobile centers would have high value i.e. ones that can switch on a guard and move their feet and keep the guard in front of them. Not a lot of David Robinsons out there, though. So my next move would be a mobile big that could play center a la Thompson from the Cavs. If we are trading, why not look for one of those. Monroe feels like Pau Gasol lite and we already gave our cap space to Gasol.

Uriel
07-19-2016, 08:22 PM
I can't believe lots of people are saying no to Monroe. Have you seen how decimated our front court has become after Diaw, West, and Boban all left?

ceperez
07-19-2016, 08:24 PM
For who? I don't see it.

:bobo

raybies
Same news as in the off season thread. It's from amico.

TrainOfThought5
I can't believe lots of people are saying no to Monroe. Have you seen how decimated our front court has become after Diaw, West, and Boban all left?

Monroe is expensive, and not the answer. Ask yourself, what would we have to give up, and what would he give us in return?

tonight...you
07-19-2016, 08:27 PM
Always good to see you post, friend.
And good point.

Snaq O'Meal
07-19-2016, 08:33 PM

Thomas Robinson fills more of those needs than Greg Monroe tbh.

Biggems
07-19-2016, 08:34 PM
At first i was yes, but then I realized I was confusing him with andre drummond.

Leetonidas
07-19-2016, 08:35 PM

and who realistically fits this mold the Spurs could sign for the min? Milwaukee has been trying to trade monroe for awhile

Uriel
07-19-2016, 08:37 PM
Always good to see you post, friend.
And good point.
:toast

ElNono
07-19-2016, 08:37 PM
and who realistically fits this mold the Spurs could sign for the min?

Tim Duncan

gambit1990
07-19-2016, 08:39 PM
Thomas Robinson fills more of those needs than Greg Monroe tbh.
and much, much cheaper. been wanting the spurs to sign him all summer.

if there's truth to this trade, who are the spurs willing to give up?

tonight...you
07-19-2016, 08:39 PM
and who realistically fits this mold the Spurs could sign for the min? Milwaukee has been trying to trade monroe for awhile
Monroe can be had on the min? If so, you may have something, but you don't.
If the Spurs really want him, they'll have to give up a salary(ies) to get him.

Which weakens the team. Ball's in your court.

GSH
07-19-2016, 08:40 PM
If a third party is involved, it means the Spurs will be giving up picks, in addition to whatever else. I'd like to see another big man come this way, but I'm not crazy about mortgaging the future for him.

I admit I wasn't one of the dozen or so people who followed the Bucks this last season. But it looks like they were ready to get rid of him months ago. Their explanation was that "he just doesn't fit in with our offensive and defensive schemes". Uhhh, yeah. Hard to judge locker room problems on a team like Milwaukee, just like it's harder to judge his stats on a crap team. I just don't see how they pull off that salary without giving up too much.

Obi Juan Kenobi
07-19-2016, 08:40 PM
Tim Duncan

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/932/537/71b.jpg

spurtech09
07-19-2016, 08:41 PM
Would be nice but realistically its not going to happen....

Spur|n|Austin
07-19-2016, 08:42 PM

montgod
07-19-2016, 08:42 PM

And they have only had him for a year. Detroit let him go and they instantly became better. It's an odd trade that I call bogus (Kidd probably garnering interest by using Spurs).... rather have someone like TGibson who is half the price, plays defensive, and retains flexibility next year.

tonight...you
07-19-2016, 08:43 PM
If a third party is involved, it means the Spurs will be giving up picks, in addition to whatever else. I'd like to see another big man come this way, but I'm not crazy about mortgaging the future for him.

I admit I wasn't one of the dozen or so people who followed the Bucks this last season. But it looks like they were ready to get rid of him months ago. Their explanation was that "he just doesn't fit in with our offensive and defensive schemes". Uhhh, yeah. Hard to judge locker room problems on a team like Milwaukee, just like it's harder to judge his stats on a crap team. I just don't see how they pull off that salary without giving up too much.
Good point. Teams know he's ended up unwanted from the last few teams he's been on.
I just don't know about this random and what it would end up taking to make it a certainty.

Hmmm...

Leetonidas
Monroe can be had on the min? If so, you may have something, but you don't.
If the Spurs really want him, they'll have to give up a salary(ies) to get him.

Which weakens the team. Ball's in your court.

lol you're obviously missing the point. the player described is not available for the min nor is there any team willing to trade a player like you described because they would likely be important to their rotation. like I said, Monroe is available because bucks have been trying to trade him for awhile and his stock is low, making him a player that could likely be traded for in theory. spurs would probably need a third team to facilitate or could trade Parker for him. I'm not saying it's a great idea but pointing out that based on what is available he's not a terrible option

gambit1990
i'll take john henson. wanted him since the draft.

tonight...you
07-19-2016, 08:47 PM
lol you're obviously missing the point. the player described is not available for the min nor is there any team willing to trade a player like you described because they would likely be important to their rotation. like I said, Monroe is available because bucks have been trying to trade him for awhile and his stock is low, making him a player that could likely be traded for in theory. spurs would probably need a third team to facilitate or could trade Parker for him. I'm not saying it's a great idea but pointing out that based on what is available he's not a terrible option
Gotcha. I still think, even with a third team involved, that the Spurs will have to give up players to attain salary matches to get this guy.
Giving up Parker is not worth it to me. Giving up Danny is even worse. Someone (somebodies) has to go and tossing out the team's trash is an unreasonable thing to suggest.
So... My point still stands somehow.

Ron Swanson
07-19-2016, 08:47 PM
Sign and trade for bonner

They will have to throw in MCW, as well.

Leetonidas
07-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Gotcha. I still think, even with a third team involved, that the Spurs will have to give up players to attain salary matches to get this guy.
Giving up Parker is not worth it to me. Giving up Danny is even worse. Someone (somebodies) has to go and tossing out the team's trash is an unreasonable thing to suggest.
So... My point still stands somehow.

Parker I would think is not a bad deal but I don't think spurs will ever trade TP, especially to a team like Milwaukee (they accommodated Diaw) so in a two team trade it seems Green would be gone and yes I definitely think that's a terrible idea.

who knows if spurs can get a third team involved though then things become interesting

Snaq O'Meal
07-19-2016, 08:50 PM
i'll take john henson. wanted him since the draft.

The Bucks will not be letting go of Henson anytime soon.

montgod
07-19-2016, 08:51 PM
They will have to throw in MCW, as well.

And immediately put him on year long inactive list due to injury

gambit1990
07-19-2016, 08:52 PM
The Bucks will not be letting go of Henson anytime soon.
i wouldn't either.

tonight...you
07-19-2016, 08:53 PM
Parker I would think is not a bad deal but I don't think spurs will ever trade TP, especially to a team like Milwaukee (they accommodated Diaw) so in a two team trade it seems Green would be gone and yes I definitely think that's a terrible idea.

who knows if spurs can get a third team involved though then things become interesting
Could become very interesting, for sure.
Doubt anything comes close to anything though. We'll see I guess.

Hey GSH, I'm thinking of seguing from Megaforce to PumaMan. Natural progression...

spurtech09
07-19-2016, 08:58 PM
Well Spurs do need to get another big....Spurs don't have any legit back ups.......Bonner? Don't think so.....Im pretty sure spurs will sign someone.....

Kawhitstorm
07-19-2016, 09:01 PM
A team that I could see trading for him are the Bulls who could offer Robin Lopez/Taj who are better fits for the Bucks.

Leetonidas
07-19-2016, 09:02 PM
doesn't Chicago have a time period they have to wait to trade Lopez?

HarlemHeat37
07-19-2016, 09:02 PM
Not a fan..he's a cancer as a starter due to his lack of big man qualities(defense, rebounding, etc) and tendency to be a black hole on offense..he would be great as a bench anchor, though..

Kidd would love Kyle, though..he would be a perfect fit for Milwaukee's approach to the future..

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jrfllnl

montgod
07-19-2016, 09:03 PM
A team that I could see trading for him are the Bulls who could offer Robin Lopez/Taj who are better fits for the Bucks.

No...Spurs need to get Taj who is a better fit.

ElNono
07-19-2016, 09:04 PM
Not a fan..he's a cancer as a starter due to his lack of big man qualities(defense, rebounding, etc) and tendency to be a black hole on offense..he would be great as a bench anchor, though..

Kidd would love Kyle, though..he would be a perfect fit for Milwaukee's approach to the future..

I approve of this trade :lol

gambit1990
07-19-2016, 09:06 PM
would rather have taj.

NASpurs
07-19-2016, 09:08 PM

Can we form an online petition with this trade linked, gather the required signatures and send it to PATFO?

:lol

Spur|n|Austin
07-19-2016, 09:11 PM

Damn, looks good.

Mr. Body
07-19-2016, 09:12 PM
Parker's going nowhere.

tholdren
07-19-2016, 09:19 PM
For who? I don't see it.
this is why the link was garbage.

Kawhitstorm
07-19-2016, 09:21 PM
I approve of this trade :lol

Spurs don't have the cap space to absorb Monroe's contract.:lol

DPG21920
07-19-2016, 09:22 PM
Not surprised to hear SA/Monroe rumors. I brought it up before the draft as a possible candidate but I can see it making some sense even now. Then the logic I had was Tim might come back and SA might be able to absorb that Monroe deal with only sending out abou 7M. Would help them get another big and free up FA cap space for MIL.

There is still some logic even after FA why MIL would want to dump Monroe and why SA might be interested.

Again, like Pau, Monroe is on what looks to be a one-year deal. He has a player option for next year which I think he may not exercise. If you are looking to compete as much as you can this year, need a big man and don't want to mess up long-term flexibility there is none better than Monroe.

Sure, there is some risk (like Pau) that they opt in, but you can't have a perfect scenario. SA needs more big depth (IMO) and fit can't be the big concern; talent is.

If SA can sneak in by giving up someone like Kyle+Filler (not sure if that is even possible - don't think it is) and get a free audition for Pau/Monroe, I see how that makes sense.

Twisted_Dawg
07-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Who was the last player we got from Milwaukee?

tonight...you
07-19-2016, 09:25 PM
Not surprised to hear SA/Monroe rumors. I brought it up before the draft as a possible candidate but I can see it making some sense even now. Then the logic I had was Tim might come back and SA might be able to absorb that Monroe deal with only sending out abou 7M. Would help them get another big and free up FA cap space for MIL.

There is still some logic even after FA why MIL would want to dump Monroe and why SA might be interested.

Again, like Pau, Monroe is on what looks to be a one-year deal. He has a player option for next year which I think he may not exercise. If you are looking to compete as much as you can this year, need a big man and don't want to mess up long-term flexibility there is none better than Monroe.

Sure, there is some risk (like Pau) that they opt in, but you can't have a perfect scenario. SA needs more big depth (IMO) and fit can't be the big concern; talent is.

If SA can sneak in by giving up someone like Kyle+Filler (not sure if that is even possible - don't think it is) and get a free audition for Pau/Monroe, I see how that makes sense.
A basic Kyle for Monroe trade.
Don't see it happening. At all. But we can keep talking nonsense... What else is there right now?

GSH
07-19-2016, 09:30 PM

That's just wrong, bringing that up.

TheCerebral1
07-19-2016, 09:33 PM
Sure, I'm interested. Pop can get him in the mold of what we need.

GSH
07-19-2016, 09:33 PM

I hate the thought of giving up a 1st round pick for a 1-year rental. Surely the Spurs wouldn't give up more than a second rounder to make something like this happen? And wouldn't Kyle + filler still take a shitload of filler?

dbestpro
07-19-2016, 09:35 PM
Monroe makes 17 mil a year. I do not see how you can get close to a trade without sending Green.

DPG21920
07-19-2016, 09:35 PM
Spurs need to send out about 12.2M to get Monroe back I believe.

tonight...you
07-19-2016, 09:36 PM
So a basic Kyle for Monroe (even with a 3rd party) is completely not worth bringing up, right?

DPG21920
07-19-2016, 09:36 PM
I hate the thought of giving up a 1st round pick for a 1-year rental. Surely the Spurs wouldn't give up more than a second rounder to make something like this happen? And wouldn't Kyle + filler still take a shitload of filler?

I don't think SA gives up a pick unless they really love Monroe (which means signing him and I don't think they love him - but who knows).

Spurs need to send out about 12.2M in salaries to take back Monroes salary.

DPG21920
07-19-2016, 09:37 PM
So a basic Kyle for Monroe (even with a 3rd party) is completely not worth bringing up, right?

Nope - the 3rd party is only relevant to get assets MIL may want. But no matter what, SA has to send out around 12.2M in salary to take on Monroe's 17.2M.

tonight...you
07-19-2016, 09:39 PM
Nope - the 3rd party is only relevant to get assets MIL may want. But no matter what, SA has to send out around 12.2M in salary to take on Monroe's 17.2M.
Yeah... I just don't see it. Maybe... MAYBE Pop sends off Parker (kind of hope not), or Green (completely retarded), but I just don't see either situation happening.
And if they did, I don't see it moving the needle in the Spurs favor, in the End.

GSH
07-19-2016, 09:42 PM
I don't think SA gives up a pick unless they really love Monroe (which means signing him and I don't think they love him - but who knows).

Spurs need to send out about 12.2M in salaries to take back Monroes salary.

Usually when I see a third team involved, they wind up getting a pick for their trouble. I went to Philly first, because they already said that they would be willing to facilitate a Monroe trade. That's why I thought Milwaukee might take one of Philly's young, lower-priced bigs as part of a deal.

DPG21920
07-19-2016, 09:44 PM
Usually when I see a third team involved, they wind up getting a pick for their trouble. I went to Philly first, because they already said that they would be willing to facilitate a Monroe trade. That's why I thought Milwaukee might take one of Philly's young, lower-priced bigs as part of a deal.

Yup - I don't think MIL will have to give up a pick to dump Monroe, but maybe if they are getting Noel back? They might think it's worth it. I just don't see SA giving up a first rounder for Monroe along with Kyle + ?? I mean, it's possible Obvioulsy and with SA drafting so late because of their great record, their first has far less value than most (especially for other teams that might not draft so well).

But cheap talent is huge and SA needs to keep building that pipeline.

cd98
07-19-2016, 09:50 PM
I agree. Spurs think they have something with Slomo. Not saying they do, but I think they want to see unless there's a too good to be true trade, which I don't think Monroe is.

tonight...you
07-19-2016, 09:51 PM
Just think of the money SA has to send out, no matter how many teams are involved.
This team is not deep enough to get rid of much to nab freaking Greg Monroe.

GSH
07-19-2016, 09:52 PM
Yup - I don't think MIL will have to give up a pick to dump Monroe, but maybe if they are getting Noel back? They might think it's worth it. I just don't see SA giving up a first rounder for Monroe along with Kyle + ?? I mean, it's possible Obvioulsy and with SA drafting so late because of their great record, their first has far less value than most (especially for other teams that might not draft so well).

But cheap talent is huge and SA needs to keep building that pipeline.

Yeah, I didn't see Milwaukee being the one to give up a pick, which meant it would be SA on the hook. The thought of it being a first rounder just made me cringe. But if the Bucks were getting Noel? Yeah, they might. I like the thought of that better, because I just hate the thought of giving up a pick for a rental.

The Bucks gave Monroe a max contract just last season for a reason. They obviously wanted a big man, so I think they would be interested in getting one in return.

Of course, no one has mentioned that they could trade Manu straight up for Monroe. I just thought I'd say that because I haven't seen enough people fight for one evening. ;)

Kawhitstorm
07-19-2016, 09:52 PM

It can't be more than 125% + 100K so, 17.1/1.25 = 13.6 - 100K = 13.5 :wakeup

Kawhitstorm
07-19-2016, 09:54 PM
Of course, no one has mentioned that they could trade Manu straight up for Monroe. I just thought I'd say that because I haven't seen enough people fight for one evening. ;)

Earl Monroe has long retired....

DPG21920
07-19-2016, 09:55 PM
It can't be more than 125% + 100K so, 17.1/1.25 = 13.6 - 100K = 13.5 :wakeup

From my understanding, for non-tax teams, if the outgoing salary is between 9.8M - 19.6M you can take back the outgoing salary + 5M.

Monroe makes 17.2M. 17.2M - 5M = 12.2M outgoing.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm - Question 84.

apalisoc_9
07-19-2016, 09:58 PM
Why does this team contonue to ignore the team's glaring need of another perimter? Even if we're to assume kawhi is primed to take a major leap with his ball handling responsibility, that doesnt addres that issue completely.

DPG21920
07-19-2016, 09:58 PM
Why does this team contonue to ignore the team's glaring need of another perimter? Even if we're to assume kawhi is primed to take a major leap with his ball handling responsibility, that doesnt addres that issue completely.

Who says they are ignoring it?

apalisoc_9
07-19-2016, 10:04 PM

What moves have they done to suggest otherwise? They're not playing murray and hopefully not because he's garbage...

They'e already added Gasol and with a thinner rotation in the playoffs, they need to look at a ball handler rather than another big. One of manu ginobili or Parker will most likely get injured for a stretch not to mention that one of the two will play shitty ball in one playoff series at least.

What has the spurs done to fix that? Show interest in Brandon Bass and Greg Monroe..the latter being a huge risk with a player option next year. Considering some great available PGs next year..no need to make that risk unless its a PG.

SpursFan86
07-19-2016, 10:08 PM
Don't think Monroe would be worth it for what we'd have to give up. Sure, it'd provide some needed depth for bigs...but then there would be another hole or 2 created in the process.

To the people who are fond of this idea - what $12+ million in contracts would you want to send to Milwaukee in exchange for Monroe? And don't say Parker, because we all know SA isn't trading him.

coachmac87
07-19-2016, 10:10 PM
What moves have they done to suggest otherwise? They're not playing murray and hopefully not because he's garbage...

They'e already added Gasol and with a thinner rotation in the playoffs, they need to look at a ball handler rather than another big. One of manu ginobili or Parker will most likely get injured for a stretch not to mention that one of the two will play shitty ball in one playoff series at least.

What has the spurs done to fix that? Show interest in Brandon Bass and Greg Monroe..the latter being a huge risk with a player option next year. Considering some great available PGs next year..no need to make that risk unless its a PG.

Murray garbage? He's better at 19 then your lover Kawhi Leonard was at 19.

Kawhitstorm
07-19-2016, 10:12 PM

Pau is going to play point-center like Noah did when Rose was out.:wakeup

DPG21920
07-19-2016, 10:15 PM

Not hearing about it, does not mean that SA has not tried. You can only sign who's both available and willing to sign with you. I'm sure they had some offers out to guards but with TP on the roster, drafting Murray and having to re-sign Manu the likely didn't have enough to land Pau and another really good guard.

Doesn't mean the didn't try. Can't do everything unfortunately.

Kawhitstorm
07-19-2016, 10:15 PM
Don't think Monroe would be worth it for what we'd have to give up. Sure, it'd provide some needed depth for bigs...but then there would be another hole or 2 created in the process.

Monroe doesn't make sense unless PATFO are trying to unload Softridge to clear cap space for next summer.:wow

Two birds with one stone: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jgr4vtl :hat

look_at_g_shred
07-19-2016, 10:18 PM
Not hearing about it, does not mean that SA has not tried. You can only sign who's both available and willing to sign with you. I'm sure they had some offers out to guards but with TP on the roster, drafting Murray and having to re-sign Manu the likely didn't have enough to land Pau and another really good guard.

Doesn't mean the didn't try. Can't do everything unfortunately.
Don't bother with that one.

tholdren
07-19-2016, 10:21 PM
Monroe doesn't make sense unless PATFO are trying to unload Softridge to clear cap space for next summer.:wow

Two birds with one stone: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jgr4vtl :hat
sign me up

lmbebo
07-19-2016, 10:36 PM
Not sure how they accomplish this without giving up Green and/or Parker. Don't think Manu can be traded (not that they would).

Would spurs leave a hole in back court with green gone?

playbonner15
07-19-2016, 10:51 PM
RJ :bang

GSH
07-19-2016, 10:53 PM
Not hearing about it, does not mean that SA has not tried.

Yeah, that should probably be stickied to every single trade rumor thread. Most of the ones we hear about there's nothing to. Then we find out at the end of the season that they had quietly tried to trade for someone we never knew about.

The Spurs FO has always said that they are willing to look at any trade possibility. And I'm pretty sure that they're aware of the weak spots in the roster.

T Park
07-19-2016, 11:29 PM
A. I dont quite understand why they would Greg Monroe,

B. They dont have the assets to make it work going out

C. why the living hell would you trade Lamarcus Aldridge a top five big man in this league, for MCW and Monroe? What the living ever hell is that!??!

DeRozan m8
07-19-2016, 11:33 PM
I hope Anderson is involved, not that anyone would want him

T Park
07-19-2016, 11:37 PM

I'd do that trade. Only realistic one I've seen and even then. don't think San Antonio does it.

sasaint
07-20-2016, 12:18 AM

Who would we be making cap space for? Adams?

I have refrained from posting proposed trades because I hate to engage in completely futile exercises, but here goes. I would rather trade LMA, Patty and JSimms to Chicago for Butler and Portis, followed by a 3 team trade: SA sends Danny to the Bucks and TP to the Kings. The Kings send Gay to Milwaukee, and Milwaukee sends Monroe, MCW and Brogdon to the Spurs.

The Spurs:

PG: MCW, Manu, Dijon, (Brogdon)
SG: Butler, (Manu), Brogdon, Forbes
SF: Kawhi, Bertans (Kyle, Butler)
PF: Pau, Kyle, Portis, LJC
C: Dedmon, Monroe, (Pau + Ndoye or Nnoko or ?)

coachmac87
07-20-2016, 12:20 AM
My sources told me it's a sign and trade for Matt Bonner

palangi
07-20-2016, 12:36 AM
I see you've brought you idiotic hate here too. Simple-minded-folk.

Leetonidas
07-20-2016, 12:42 AM

I have refrained from posting proposed trades because I hate to engage in completely futile exercises, but here goes. I would rather trade LMA, Patty and JSimms to Chicago for Butler and Portis, followed by a 3 team trade: SA sends Danny to the Bucks and TP to the Kings. The Kings send Gay to Milwaukee, and Milwaukee sends Monroe, MCW and Brogdon to the Spurs.

The Spurs:

that starting lineup is atrocious shooting wise

sasaint
07-20-2016, 12:46 AM
that starting lineup is atrocious shooting wise
Butler, Kawhi and Pau? MCW to drive. Dedmon to dive.

montgod
07-20-2016, 12:51 AM
A. I dont quite understand why they would Greg Monroe,

B. They dont have the assets to make it work going out

C. why the living hell would you trade Lamarcus Aldridge a top five big man in this league, for MCW and Monroe? What the living ever hell is that!??!

This

Kawhitstorm
07-20-2016, 12:55 AM

Blake (Dedmon can be a poor man's DeAndre)

The Spurs:

Porker isn't getting traded & MCW would get the Tony Allen treatment playing w/ high usage players: Kawhi/Butler/Pau.:rolleyes

gambit1990
07-20-2016, 12:58 AM
parker would get traded before lma :hungry:

sasaint
07-20-2016, 01:02 AM
Blake (Dedmon can be a poor man's DeAndre)

Porker isn't getting traded & MCW would get the Tony Allen treatment playing w/ high usage players: Kawhi/Butler/Pau.:rolleyes

I acknowledged that it was an exercise in futility. Parker is likely a Spur-for-life - I agree. Yet, MCW would be okay with this unit precisely because the other guys are high usage. He is a much better ball handler/driver than Tony Allen. MCW is there as an initiator/occasional driver/and defender (especially). With the exception of Pau, that first unit has the potential to be a truly great defensive unit. The team would have a bunch of moveable pieces - very flexible.

SAGirl
07-20-2016, 02:07 AM

I would look forward to watch Kyle in MiLwaukee. Exactly the kind of young team willing to embrace him and his passing. He will get along just fine and I do believe he will improve that team more than the trade machine suggests bc he's still improving his shooting.

But Tony to Sacramento, that's cruel. I don't see Pop doing that. I don't see him trading Kyle either but Ill play along and Milwaukee is excellent for a young guy like him, they will play him and Kidd will love his passing ability and his smarts.TBH I can see that trade be something the Spurs come to regret on Kyle's front. It's like Cojo going to Toronto, he's in such a much better team and situation for himself. I can totally see it work for Kyle, but for Tony that's cruel. Nowhere more palatable to send Tony?

gambit1990
07-20-2016, 02:11 AM
I would look forward to watch Kyle in MiLwaukee. Exactly the kind of young team willing to embrace him and his passing. He will get along just fine and I do believe he will improve that team more than the trade machine suggests bc he's still improving his shooting.

But Tony to Sacramento, that's cruel. I don't see Pop doing that. I don't see him trading Kyle either but Ill play along and Milwaukee is excellent for a young guy like him, they will play him and Kidd will love his passing ability and his smarts.TBH I can see that trade be something the Spurs come to regret on Kyle's front. It's like Cojo going to Toronto, he's in such a much better team and situation for himself. I can totally see it work for Kyle, but for Tony that's cruel. Nowhere more palatable to send Tony?
what city does erin barry live in now?

SAGirl
07-20-2016, 02:17 AM
Yeah, I didn't see Milwaukee being the one to give up a pick, which meant it would be SA on the hook. The thought of it being a first rounder just made me cringe. But if the Bucks were getting Noel? Yeah, they might. I like the thought of that better, because I just hate the thought of giving up a pick for a rental.

The Bucks gave Monroe a max contract just last season for a reason. They obviously wanted a big man, so I think they would be interested in getting one in return.

:troll I mean if we want to be trolling about it, the Spurs are better prepared to send both Manu and Mills somewhere... Move on with Anderson, Simmons, Bertans, Forbes, and Dejounte in the youth front and ship off the oldies.

Russo21
07-20-2016, 02:33 AM
Someone in the front office once said if you've heard rumours about a trade then it is already dead. I don't mind Monroe but hopefully they are in stealth mode for a player who is a better fit.

DeRozan m8
07-20-2016, 02:35 AM
Someone in the front office once said if you've heard rumours about a trade then it is already dead. I don't mind Monroe but hopefully they are in stealth mode for a player who is a better fit.

Well history suggests this is bullshit

Mal
07-20-2016, 02:35 AM
How this is possible ? We are sending Green ? Parker ? LMA, Gasol, Kawhi, Manu all are staying. How this deal is possibile ?

SAGirl
07-20-2016, 02:37 AM
Good point. It might have been plan B or C in case they didn't get Gasol. That would make more sense and I would rather have Gasol.

T Park
07-20-2016, 02:52 AM

I heard rumblings about Aldridge to the Spurs in January of 2015..... so, eh.... Maybe.

gambit1990
07-20-2016, 02:58 AM
who?

Emperor
07-20-2016, 03:59 AM

Well we heard rumors of Durant to SA in May and that pursuit was still alive and well going into July despite him picking GS so either you heard wrong or that person in the front office who said that is full of shit.

Russo21
07-20-2016, 04:32 AM
Well we heard rumors of Durant to SA in May and that pursuit was still alive and well going into July despite him picking GS so either you heard wrong or that person in the front office who said that is full of shit.

Durant was free agency, not trade.

Russo21
07-20-2016, 04:34 AM
I heard rumblings about Aldridge to the Spurs in January of 2015..... so, eh.... Maybe.
That was free agency to. Anyway, just something I heard a while back. Times change, take it with a grain of salt.

r0drig0lac
07-20-2016, 06:01 AM
I would rather trade LMA, Patty and JSimms to Chicago for Butler and Portis
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Emperor
07-20-2016, 06:15 AM
Durant was free agency, not trade.

Trades would have been made, to make room for him.

Emperor
07-20-2016, 06:16 AM
That was free agency to. Anyway, just something I heard a while back. Times change, take it with a grain of salt.

A trade was made to make room for him also, Splitter.

Chinook
07-20-2016, 06:17 AM
Trades would have been made, to make room for him.

This isn't really a winning argument on your part.

Emperor
07-20-2016, 06:22 AM
This isn't really a winning argument on your part.

Sure as hell is because we weren't getting Durant without trading away Green/Diaw to start, don't you agree?

Chinook
07-20-2016, 06:39 AM
Sure as hell is because we weren't getting Durant without trading away Green/Diaw to start, don't you agree?

You're off-topic. The quote you were refuting is that by the time you hear about trades, they're usually dead. No one leaked any rumors about trades for Green or Parker. So news about Durant's free agency doesn't have anything to do with what Russo was talking about.

baseline bum
07-20-2016, 06:48 AM
There are only two ways it could be done:

1. Parker for Monroe
2. Green + Mills for Monroe

:vomit: to either of these

timtonymanu
07-20-2016, 06:52 AM
not a fan, tbh. teams seem worse off with him and better off without him. Just look at what happened to Detroit after he left and Milwaukee when he arrived.

Chillen
07-20-2016, 07:26 AM
I doubt this is more than just a rumor but Spurs would look to obviously mentor Monroe, he would be the real TD replacement with his size, physicality. Obviously TD is unreplaceable, but he would be that guy if this happened.

intlspurshk
07-20-2016, 07:42 AM
Sounds like another Richard Jefferson trade

bklynspursfan
07-20-2016, 07:47 AM
There are only two ways it could be done:

1. Parker for Monroe
2. Green + Mills for Monroe

:vomit: to either of these

If a 3rd team is involved is it the same scenario?

I just don't see Parker or Mills being moved

RD2191
07-20-2016, 08:11 AM
Trade Parker. He's worth shit and will only get worse. Get rid of him now before he becomes the next Bonner.

Raven
07-20-2016, 09:27 AM
that would be fucking fantastic

mo7888
07-20-2016, 09:29 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jj6j4d3

Since everyone else is suggesting trades. Also, sign Ty Lawson and Thomas Robinson to round things out,

ernest787
07-20-2016, 10:02 AM
I don't think he Spurs regret Cojo at all. They could not afford him. They knew he was going to get paid and had to make some decisions and he just was not in the long term plans.

Monroe may not be the answer to the Spurs problems, but Monroe > Kyle. If the Spurs had to let Kyle go to get him then you do it. Kyle is a fringe NBA player at this point.

That said, I wouldn't want Monroe for what it's going to cost. I'd rather live with Pau/LMA/Dedmon/vet min

baseline bum
07-20-2016, 10:07 AM
Trade Parker. He's worth shit and will only get worse. Get rid of him now before he becomes the next Bonner.

I'd love to trade Parker, but not for the bigman version of Richard Jefferson who is making Kawhi level money.

Keepin' it real
07-20-2016, 10:31 AM
Monroe may not be the answer to the Spurs problems, but Monroe > Kyle. If the Spurs had to let Kyle go to get him then you do it. Kyle is a fringe NBA player at this point.

Reminds me of several years ago, when there was a rumored Suns/Spurs trade** involving Amare for Blair and George Hill. At the time, the Spurs were in love with Hill and Blair, as was Spurstalk.

In hindsight, if not for Amare's health issues, that would have been a no-brainer of a trade. Anytime you can acquire a player with star potential (who can fit within the team's culture), you have to go for it, no matter how much you love your role players.

Point being, if this Monroe guy has star potential (despite the "he plays no defense" detractors), you let go of role players to get him.

**Disclaimer: If my recollection of that trade is inaccurate, then my bad. :hat

tholdren
07-20-2016, 10:39 AM
getting rid of parker or green may be addition by subtraction

wildbill2u
07-20-2016, 10:44 AM

The Spurs:

Dude, you willing to sell some of that?

SAGirl
07-20-2016, 11:26 AM
I don't think he Spurs regret Cojo at all. They could not afford him. They knew he was going to get paid and had to make some decisions and he just was not in the long term plans.

That said, I wouldn't want Monroe for what it's going to cost. I'd rather live with Pau/LMA/Dedmon/vet min
RC did want to keep Cojo who some here were considering a fringe player in his second NBA season,, but you went by the side. The main point is that CoJo is in a much better team and situation for himself. He became a regular rotation player and a legit 6th/7th man, which fans here never thought he had in him.

He had been 10-12 th in the Spurs depth chart but in another good team he's getting more playing time has and be helped improve that team significantly. I believe in a team that sought to play Kyle to his strengths and not off the ball and off Manu he would be better and improve that team significantly more. It's no secret that the Spurs system didn't do CoJo any favors bc he was asked to play off the ball when he was a real PG, more of a real PG than Mills is, and Kyle is similar in some respects, and becoming already a better shooter than CoJo.

GSH
07-20-2016, 11:30 AM

The Spurs:

Surely you wouldn't want to keep the same coaching staff? I think Kobe might be up for a head coach position.

Wouldn't this whole plan be a lot easier if we just switched teams with, say, Charlotte?

SAGirl
07-20-2016, 11:33 AM
Reminds me of several years ago, when there was a rumored Suns/Spurs trade** involving Amare for Blair and George Hill. At the time, the Spurs were in love with Hill and Blair, as was Spurstalk.

In hindsight, if not for Amare's health issues, that would have been a no-brainer of a trade. Anytime you can acquire a player with star potential (who can fit within the team's culture), you have to go for it, no matter how much you love your role players.

Point being, if this Monroe guy has star potential (despite the "he plays no defense" detractors), you let go of role players to get him.

**Disclaimer: If my recollection of that trade is inaccurate, then my bad. :hat
The hot take is not Kyle but the fact that he makes 1 mill and you need to send Tony there to make it work in reality and are left with no starting PG... unless you with my start Dejounte idea.

sasaint
07-20-2016, 11:46 AM
Surely you wouldn't want to keep the same coaching staff? I think Kobe might be up for a head coach position.

Wouldn't this whole plan be a lot easier if we just switched teams with, say, Charlotte?

Not Kobe, but another head coach is fine with me at this point. :tu

I like the idea of having a core of Kawhi, Butler, Dijon, Portis, Kyle and possibly Bertans and Brogdon going forward. The first four are on especially advantageous contracts. Maybe Monroe pans out and becomes a core member. I know; I know: LMA and TP won't get traded.

Spur|n|Austin
07-20-2016, 11:56 AM
who?

David Lee

SAGirl
07-20-2016, 12:02 PM
Not Kobe, but another head coach is fine with me at this point. :tu

I like the idea of having a core of Kawhi, Butler, Dijon, Portis, Kyle and possibly Bertans and Brogdon going forward. The first four are on especially advantageous contracts. Maybe Monroe pans out and becomes a core member. I know; I know: LMA and TP won't get traded.
:tu
I like your idea... it's a much younger team with two star wings, two different bigs with different skills and skilled guards with a lot of 3 pts shooting... but the legacy contract Pop gave Manu should all but tell us he's going to go down with the ship and his decrepit vets at this point. I was rather depressed last night about the prospects for the season considering what Pop's version of a youth movement is. Maybe he will surprise me, hopefully but I am expecting same old from him + maybe some nights he won't have it bc he will be grieving Timmy all season... our record on the road is not going to be that good this season. It was on the road that Tim did the most bonding.

Sean Cagney
07-20-2016, 12:06 PM
Dude, you willing to sell some of that?

Exactly, some of these trades get so outlandish you wonder if people are high or serious? LMA, Parker and Green are not getting traded all in one year :lol

sasaint
07-20-2016, 12:14 PM
:tu
I like your idea... it's a much younger team with two star wings, two different bigs with different skills and skilled guards with a lot of 3 pts shooting... but the legacy contract Pop gave Manu should all but tell us he's going to go down with the ship and his decrepit vets at this point. I was rather depressed last night about the prospects for the season considering what Pop's version of a youth movement is. Maybe he will surprise me, hopefully but I am expecting same old from him + maybe some nights he won't have it bc he will be grieving Timmy all season... our record on the road is not going to be that good this season. It was on the road that Tim did the most bonding.

I share your skepticism about this season, although I hadn't really broken down our prospects on a home/away basis. I think you make a good point about Tim on the road. Personally, I will miss most the incredible substance as well as symbolism of Tim's being the last Spur off the floor at the end of games, waiting on all the other guys from Kawhi to lowliest scrub (I didn't say Ayres) to walk off before him so that he could give them a hand on the head or a backslap... I'm getting kind of misty writing about that image! (This is my first post about Timmy's departure...)

I think this season will be a success if the Spurs keep the 50-win streak alive. But, it is a little gratifying to see that you grasp what my moves were attempting to accomplish. MCW would be a one-season place holder as nominal starter. I would expect a virtual PG by committee approach under my scheme.

SAGirl
07-20-2016, 12:29 PM
I share your skepticism about this season, although I hadn't really broken down our prospects on a home/away basis. I think you make a good point about Tim on the road. Personally, I will miss most the incredible substance as well as symbolism of Tim's being the last Spur off the floor at the end of games, waiting on all the other guys from Kawhi to lowliest scrub (I didn't say Ayres) to walk off before him so that he could give them a hand on the head or a backslap... I'm getting kind of misty writing about that image! (This is my first post about Timmy's departure...)

I think this season will be a success if the Spurs keep the 50-win streak alive. But, it is a little gratifying to see that you grasp what my moves were attempting to accomplish. MCW would be a one-season place holder as nominal starter. I would expect a virtual PG by committee approach under my scheme.
Yup I got the MCW part. I know you are no fan of his but something like that would challenge Dejounte to not feel entitled to the spot and earn it through becoming better than MCW to start.

Sorry I brought the "waterworks" with Tim. I liked how he tapped young players in the head coming in during a timeout. Danny and Kyle's posts in instagram were so revealing as to how he encouraged and lifted young players up after a bad game. It's easy to notice Mills waving towels and the claw sign celebrating Kawhi or the belly rub when Marco was here when the team was winning. It's easy to cheer when guys are winning. Teams are tested in adversity though. That's where you see real leadership and character and those were Tim moments.

No one can be Timmy for this group right now. They have to find it within themselves. They will miss him.... damn I went down my own sentimental road.:depressed

I don't think Manu or Tony are the same kind of leader and it's better if someone younger starts to step up bc Manu is retiring soon anyways so it will be another loss yet again in leadership next season.

TheGreatYacht
07-20-2016, 01:13 PM
:lol tbh

tholdren
07-20-2016, 02:20 PM
:lol tbh
idk - someone wanted gary neal.

montgod
07-20-2016, 02:21 PM
idk - someone wanted gary neal.

nobody wants him and he already opened his big mouth... what a dummy.

ernest787
07-20-2016, 04:08 PM
RC did want to keep Cojo who some here were considering a fringe player in his second NBA season,, but you went by the side. The main point is that CoJo is in a much better team and situation for himself. He became a regular rotation player and a legit 6th/7th man, which fans here never thought he had in him.

He had been 10-12 th in the Spurs depth chart but in another good team he's getting more playing time has and be helped improve that team significantly. I believe in a team that sought to play Kyle to his strengths and not off the ball and off Manu he would be better and improve that team significantly more. It's no secret that the Spurs system didn't do CoJo any favors bc he was asked to play off the ball when he was a real PG, more of a real PG than Mills is, and Kyle is similar in some respects, and becoming already a better shooter than CoJo.

Saying that RC wanted to keep Cojo and that the spurs regret letting Cojo to is 2 very different things.

There are lots of players that the Spurs would have liked to keep. I'm sure they would have loved to keep George Hill... does that mean they regret trading him? I can assure you that answer is no.

Cojo is a good player. Cojo was a good player in SA (towards the end of his run). He would have made a fine back up PG here. The Spurs knew that. They also knew they didn't have the money to pay him back up PG money while still being able to bring him LMA.

Your love for KA is one of the most annoying things on this forum at this point and every post being about him and how he's going to be this or that is just blah. So seeing you post things like the Spurs will regret trading KA one day like they regret letting Cojo go is just wrong and misinformation.

But whatever.

SAGirl
07-20-2016, 04:15 PM
Saying that RC wanted to keep Cojo and that the spurs regret letting Cojo to is 2 very different things.

There are lots of players that the Spurs would have liked to keep. I'm sure they would have loved to keep George Hill... does that mean they regret trading him? I can assure you that answer is no.

Cojo is a good player. Cojo was a good player in SA (towards the end of his run). He would have made a fine back up PG here. The Spurs knew that. They also knew they didn't have the money to pay him back up PG money while still being able to bring him LMA.

Your love for KA is one of the most annoying things on this forum at this point and every post being about him and how he's going to be this or that is just blah. So seeing you post things like the Spurs will regret trading KA one day like they regret letting Cojo go is just wrong and misinformation.

But whatever.
It will be my pleasure to keep annoying the shit out of you. :toast

tholdren
07-20-2016, 04:26 PM
Im really a man:toast

TD 21
07-20-2016, 04:42 PM

Because the perimeter is more of a quality than quantity issue and there's probably nothing they could have realistically done to make it markedly better.

In terms of quantity, power forward is clearly the biggest hole on the roster.

cd98
07-20-2016, 05:10 PM
Because the perimeter is more of a quality than quantity issue and there's probably nothing they could have realistically done to make it markedly better.

In terms of quantity, power forward is clearly the biggest hole on the roster.

Interesting, because I would say point guard.

cutewizard
07-20-2016, 05:22 PM
Has Thomas Robinson been signed yet by other teams????

szkorhetz
07-20-2016, 05:26 PM
Has Thomas Robinson been signed yet by other teams????
Nope.

TD 21
07-20-2016, 06:27 PM
Interesting, because I would say point guard.

They at least have three point guards, two of which are proven rotation players and the third of which is, if nothing else right now, an NBA talent.

Snaq O'Meal
07-20-2016, 06:45 PM
They at least have three point guards, two of which are proven rotation players and the third of which is, if nothing else right now, an NBA talent.

The Spurs' shortest players are serviceable against most teams. But when they are playing the Warriors, they are as useful as teats on a bull.

Thomas82
07-20-2016, 09:02 PM

Cosign!!