PDA

View Full Version : Need Help for a Fiction Story Set in Chicago (Park Ridge)

BillMc
07-24-2016, 03:05 AM
I'm writing a story set near Chicago (Park Ridge) and need a help on two things:

1) I need a local restaurant/fast food place that a teenager is likely to frequent. Just wanted to give it some local flavor. As I am in Kiev, Ukraine now doing the research is a bit difficult. So, anyone in the area who knows the spots the locals would hit, I'd be grateful for the assistance.

2) Is there any place near Park Ridge (without going all the way into Chicago) where there are some thin roads/alleys between buildings where a car could get stuck and be unable to turn around. In other words, they'd have to back out of the alley etc. I need, for plot reasons, for some guy in a car to have the exit blocked by another guy in a car. Park Ridge looks completely suburban so I don't know if that's possible. Just want to make my scene seem plausible.

Thanks.

Best, Bill

DeadlyDynasty
07-24-2016, 05:30 AM
What are you doing in Kiev, if you don't mind me asking? I'm currently in Luhansk

thispego
07-24-2016, 07:52 AM
lol fiction

07-24-2016, 09:30 AM
street view might help you

clambake
07-24-2016, 10:05 AM
fiction huh?

chicago, where everyone lives in harmony.

thispego
07-24-2016, 10:39 AM
If it's fiction just make it up

BillMc
07-24-2016, 10:59 AM
What are you doing in Kiev, if you don't mind me asking? I'm currently in Luhansk

Wow Lughnsk is right in the heart of the trouble area. Hope you're in the military or something similar.

I write fiction about Eastern Europe. Latest book has a large part in Ukraine so I just got my residency permit for a year. (Was previously in Riga, Latvia). I'm in Kiev for another month but will probably end up in Kharkov.

BillMc
07-24-2016, 11:00 AM
fiction huh?

chicago, where everyone lives in harmony.

Yep, fiction. Of course you try to be as accurate as you can within the needs of the story.

BD24
07-24-2016, 11:04 AM
Just put the story on the south side and have some people shooting each other. Would be very accurate in that case.

BD24
07-24-2016, 11:04 AM
But yea park ridge is totally the burbs. May be hard to find that ally you are looking for

BillMc
07-24-2016, 11:07 AM
But yea park ridge is totally the burbs. May be hard to find that ally you are looking for

Cheers. :toastI just made up a little line of shops and put an alley in the middle. lol.

I'll do the South Side next time. :lol

DeadlyDynasty
07-24-2016, 01:40 PM
Wow Lughnsk is right in the heart of the trouble area. Hope you're in the military or something similar.

I write fiction about Eastern Europe. Latest book has a large part in Ukraine so I just got my residency permit for a year. (Was previously in Riga, Latvia). I'm in Kiev for another month but will probably end up in Kharkov.

Civilian, not military...it's relatively quiet in the city, but on patrols near the contact line it's obviously dicey. Still, at least I'm not in Donetsk Oblast anymore so that's a minor victory.

Kharkiv is a fun city, but I'd recommend Lviv (in the Trans-Carpathian region) if you want a change of pace more suitable for literary inspiration...gorgeous city with lots of history--just my 2 cents. You've probably been there already though, as well as Odessa. If you want a little taste of the risque spend the rest of the summer in Mariupol--enjoy the Sea of Azov amidst the shelling. Channel your inner-Hemingway:lol

gambit1990
07-24-2016, 02:01 PM
If it's fiction just make it up
:lol

BillMc
07-24-2016, 02:21 PM
Civilian, not military...it's relatively quiet in the city, but on patrols near the contact line it's obviously dicey. Still, at least I'm not in Donetsk Oblast anymore so that's a minor victory.

Kharkiv is a fun city, but I'd recommend Lviv (in the Trans-Carpathian region) if you want a change of pace more suitable for literary inspiration...gorgeous city with lots of history--just my 2 cents. You've probably been there already though, as well as Odessa. If you want a little taste of the risque spend the rest of the summer in Mariupol--enjoy the Sea of Azov amidst the shelling. Channel your inner-Hemingway:lol

Thanks man. Stay safe. Yeah, I lived in Ukraine previously 6 years so I've been all over the country. Lviv is very beautiful (Looks just like Krakow Poland). I'm a big fan of Odessa for writing purposes. But, as I said, it looks like long term I'll be in Kharkov (again.)

DeadlyDynasty
07-24-2016, 02:57 PM
Thanks man. Stay safe. Yeah, I lived in Ukraine previously 6 years so I've been all over the country. Lviv is very beautiful (Looks just like Krakow Poland). I'm a big fan of Odessa for writing purposes. But, as I said, it looks like long term I'll be in Kharkov (again.)

Good stuff...were you here during Maidan?

BillMc
07-24-2016, 03:02 PM
Good stuff...were you here during Maidan?

I was living in Kharkov at the time. But during the worst of it was actually in America as my mother had some health issues I had to help her through.