PDA

View Full Version : Just when I thought ESPN couldn't get worse...

cd98
07-25-2016, 11:01 PM
Ok. This is not a partisan political post because I don't care which side of the political spectrum, I go to sports to escape this crazy world. But I go to ESPN and it's become a lefty blog. If people want to read political articles or blogs, there are no shortage for either side of an issue. But let's let sports be fun and not a lecture. ESPN reminds me of when MTV stopped playing music. It has no soul. I know this should probably be downstairs, but it's summer and nothing is happening in Spurs world for the next two months, so what the hell.

I've always hated how ESPN caters to California and New York and has ignored the Spurs, but I could at least visit the site for the scoreboard and stats, but now I can't stand going there. It's awful and will only get worse. The Olympics can't get here soon enough and thank-you baseball for being so boring until the playoffs.

ElNono
07-25-2016, 11:05 PM
It's the downtime, tbh... is there any serious sport going on right now (ie: not beisbol)?

tbh, don't really even check those sites in the offseason.

Sean Cagney
07-25-2016, 11:09 PM
It's the downtime, tbh... is there any serious sport going on right now (ie: not beisbol)?

During those days of Summer when it's just baseball on to watch I never tune in to sports channels, NONE.... Snooze fest.

ElNono
07-25-2016, 11:33 PM
During those days of Summer when it's just baseball on to watch I never tune in to sports channels, NONE.... Snooze fest.

Gotta wait for the Olympics to start, hopefully there's something decent there

Mr. Body
07-25-2016, 11:34 PM
You sound like a ninny.

K...
07-26-2016, 12:04 AM
is op talking about athletes talking about black lives mttr in the offseason or that weird nate silver area of the home page where it's never sports.

K...
07-26-2016, 12:06 AM
if it's the former, consider that most athletes are liberal until their playing careers end and the have more time to look into their money and watch it go away. Then they get conservative.

Spurtacular
07-26-2016, 02:08 AM

I tuned in to ESPN the other day. They had this TPP basketball tourney going. It was seriously a gym league for wash-ups. A lot of the guys had guts. Yea, they were a little better, a little taller than the average man on the street. But it was ultimately really bad. They should seriously be playing game replays from 20 years ago over that sh**. Or they need to do like reality shows or something. The program directors at ESPN seriously suck.

Spurtacular
07-26-2016, 02:10 AM
Ok. This is not a partisan political post because I don't care which side of the political spectrum, I go to sports to escape this crazy world. But I go to ESPN and it's become a lefty blog. If people want to read political articles or blogs, there are no shortage for either side of an issue. But let's let sports be fun and not a lecture. ESPN reminds me of when MTV stopped playing music. It has no soul. I know this should probably be downstairs, but it's summer and nothing is happening in Spurs world for the next two months, so what the hell.

I've always hated how ESPN caters to California and New York and has ignored the Spurs, but I could at least visit the site for the scoreboard and stats, but now I can't stand going there. It's awful and will only get worse. The Olympics can't get here soon enough and thank-you baseball for being so boring until the playoffs.

I agree. ESPN should stay out of politics. They shouldn't even touch that sh**. Even the Obama doing brackets sh** just annoys me. Stop giving politicians free advertising. It pisses people off. It's not "innocuous"; nobody needs to lighten up. Stick to sports and stop pissing off chunks of your audience.

raybies
07-26-2016, 03:36 AM

Only the world sport, football or here we call it soccer. The off season use to be so difficult for me until I really started following soccer. San Antonio has a team, with MLS aspirations, in the USL that I'm following and attending games and I just started watching soccer Sunday on ESPN. Not the best soccer in the world and if you can get accustomed games with lack of scoring. I liken watching soccer to bass fishing. It requires patience and focus but you just know that a score can happen at any time, and If you look away you miss it. It's pretty compelling action when the breakthrough happens. It's a simple game and easy to follow.

If your in San Antonio and need some action, check a FC game. I've been to three games so far this year. Not a bad seat in the house and we are fighting for a playoff spot in our first year. If not, then watch baseball or be bored.

cd98
07-26-2016, 08:50 AM
is op talking about athletes talking about black lives mttr in the offseason or that weird nate silver area of the home page where it's never sports.

I'm talking about both. Nate Silver on sports is fine. Nate Silver on Trump is not. And if players want to take a stance on guns or police or black lives matter (though most of them have been sheltered since they were 12 bc they were athletes) that's fine, but do it on CNN. Let ESPN be about sports. That whole NC all star game drove me crazy. I think they discussed it every 5 minutes. Enough already. Show me some highlights and let's talk and debate sports.

Mr. Body
07-26-2016, 09:03 AM
Real men take all this in stride and don't bitch about it online like a weenie.

noles1983
07-26-2016, 09:23 AM
well Disney owns ESPN, go watch fox sports if you want the conservative bullshit i guess?

doobs
07-26-2016, 09:48 AM
It's not just BLM, either.

And the annual presidential bracket is some of the most contrived propaganda. Obama does not sit down with pen and paper and research the NCAA tournament. It simply does not happen; a group of aides and interns who follow sports get together and draw up the bracket for him, and then Obama and the ESPN person read from a script.

Mr. Body
07-26-2016, 10:10 AM
It's not just BLM, either.

And the annual presidential bracket is some of the most contrived propaganda. Obama does not sit down with pen and paper and research the NCAA tournament. It simply does not happen; a group of aides and interns who follow sports get together and draw up the bracket for him, and then Obama and the ESPN person read from a script.

Of course it happens, dummy. You don't think even top executives take moments for entertainment and to unwind? Obama is an avowed basketball fan.

doobs
07-26-2016, 10:38 AM
Of course it happens, dummy. You don't think even top executives take moments for entertainment and to unwind? Obama is an avowed basketball fan.

Lol no it doesn't. Even if Obama is "an avowed basketball fan," this sort of planned media appearance is carefully crafted by his team and not left to chance. Sorry to disappoint you.

Chinook
07-26-2016, 10:42 AM
Obama is the fucking POTUS. He's not just "a politician". He gets airtime because he's the head of the American government, not because he's liberal.

cd98
07-26-2016, 10:56 AM
well Disney owns ESPN, go watch fox sports if you want the conservative bullshit i guess?

It's not the viewpoints. I don't care if they are for or against NC law or immigration. If I need those takes, I can go to Foxnews or MSNBC, but I think ESPN is becoming MTV. ESPN needs to stick with sports.

cd98
07-26-2016, 10:58 AM
Real men take all this in stride and don't bitch about it online like a weenie.

Eh, I guess. Or maybe I got tired of Parker v. Manu or Tim v. McHale threads or Spurs should trade Bonner or whatever useless pieces for Westrook. We still have two months to go until football season. I don't know if I'm going to make it.

jsandiego
07-26-2016, 11:52 AM
ESPN's job is to create dichotomy/bi-polar opinion pieces where they contrive up some "issue" and the talking heads take sides. Skip vs. SAS, etc. They usually gloss over the surface of an issue, and rarely dig deep. They play to the mass media markets to exploit those demographics -- Cowboys, Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers, etc. The flyover states rarely get any play, unless LeBron is involved, because basketball markets individuals over teams.

ESPN is entertainment first, sports second. It's exactly like MTV when they stopped playing music videos, and it's exactly like politics and listening to CNN, Fox, or MSNBC. Canned answers, talking heads doing a bit or a schtick, 5 second soundbites, and no real analysis.

I finally deleted my ESPN app last year and rarely go to their site unless there's a detailed article on the Spurs; but now with social media, blogs, message boards, and alternative outlets, I can get my sports commentary in other ways. They do a sports purist a real disservice, but most people are casual observers, and just wanna see a dunk, car crash, home run, touchdown, or a goal.

It is what it is. I'm just glad there's alternative media out there when I need my fix of advanced statistics, scouting, analysis, etc.

JR3
07-26-2016, 12:29 PM
I hate how ESPN has most of the articles as insider articles now.

cjw
07-26-2016, 03:35 PM
I hate how ESPN has most of the articles as insider articles now.

You can find deals where you get Insider for like $4 a year and it comes with the magazine. Basically the cost of a cheap beer at a bar. I usually just read the Magazine articles online or on my iPad, but the paper copy comes in handy occasionally.

dafonearth
07-26-2016, 03:38 PM
I completely agree with you. It's not just ESPN though. Almost all the sports media I listen to or watch has a liberal bias. From radio to tv to the web. They're part of the mainstream media which is predominantly liberal. I don't know much we can do about it, except not watch.

JR3
07-26-2016, 03:51 PM
You can find deals where you get Insider for like $4 a year and it comes with the magazine. Basically the cost of a cheap beer at a bar. I usually just read the Magazine articles online or on my iPad, but the paper copy comes in handy occasionally.
I'll keep an eye out... Although I have a little bit of a moral issue with my money going to ESPN...although I did take the family to Disney World last year so that goes out the window I guess...

Aztecfan03
07-26-2016, 04:54 PM

It doesn't cater to California. It's known as "Eastern Sports (insert any random p-word) Network" for a reason.

Spurtacular
07-26-2016, 06:30 PM
Real cucks take all this in stride like bitches taking a weenie.

Fixed.

da_suns_fan
07-26-2016, 07:07 PM

Yes, because the Spurs always drew little interest because they werent a coastal city.

YGWHI
07-27-2016, 12:09 AM
I've always hated how ESPN caters to California and New York and has ignored the Spurs
The whole league ignore the Spurs. There is a reason why New York had two ALL-STAR games in the last 20 years, California three, and SA...zero.

spurtech09
07-27-2016, 12:19 AM
SA AllStar game? That will be the day?

exstatic
07-27-2016, 01:57 AM
The whole league ignore the Spurs. There is a reason why New York had two ALL-STAR games in the last 20 years, California three, and SA...zero.

SA AllStar game? That will be the day?

Ever hear of this thing called the Rodeo Road Trip? There is usually one leg of the trip, then the ASG break, then another leg of the trip. The AT&T Center will never be available to host an ASG. The SA Stock show and Rodeo OWNS that whole complex pretty much for the month of February. That was the price to pay to have a non-local tax supported arena and keep the Spurs here.

YGWHI
07-27-2016, 03:29 AM
Ever hear of this thing called the Rodeo Road Trip? There is usually one leg of the trip, then the ASG break, then another leg of the trip. The AT&T Center will never be available to host an ASG. The SA Stock show and Rodeo OWNS that whole complex pretty much for the month of February. That was the price to pay to have a non-local tax supported arena and keep the Spurs here.

I doubt that's the only reason.

However, it's sad that the City with the Spurs' and Rodeo's owners can't make a deal for just a week to play at the AT&T or even the Alamodome

dbestpro
07-27-2016, 06:57 AM
Sports use to be a place where you could escape from all of the politics in life. As it has gotten more political, I have found myself becoming less of a sports fan. It's probably a good thing because I use to waste a lot of time living vicariously through others. Now, I do more for others, and myself, and leave all the drama to the people who live to tell others what to do.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-28-2016, 04:04 PM
And to think the majority of American NFL fans (the #1 sport in the nation by a country mile) are conservative/Republican.