PDA

View Full Version : Parker ready to take on bigger leadership role for Spurs

Snaq O'Meal
07-26-2016, 11:00 PM
In between all the laughter and high-fives, Tony Parker took a very Spurs-like tone with the participants at his youth basketball camp.

“He told us to play collectively, to play together as a team,” said 13-year-old Fantine Smagghe, who, like Parker, hails from France.

Consider it a rehearsal of sorts for what Parker will be doing at training camp in a few months.

With Tim Duncan gone and 15 seasons under his belt, Parker is now the senior Spur in terms of longevity with the team and eager to take on an increased leadership role in the absence of the “Big Fundamental.”

More at http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Parker-ready-to-take-on-bigger-leadership-role-8425335.php (http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Parker-ready-to-take-on-bigger-leadership-role-8425335.php)

dabom
07-26-2016, 11:41 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/aZ3LDBs1ExsE8/giphy.gif

TheGreatYacht
07-27-2016, 12:32 AM
The team just got more Alpha.

ElNono
07-27-2016, 12:37 AM
paywall free version:
http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Parker-ready-to-take-on-bigger-leadership-role-8425335.php?t=3edf2d3fb6c6ed8151&cmpid=twitter-premium

Mikeanaro
07-27-2016, 12:43 AM
http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/AP_BALI_PLANE_CRASH2_LT_130413_16x9_608.jpg

SAGirl
07-27-2016, 01:05 AM
Hmm, I was looking forward to see Kawhi step up, but let's be honest, he's too quiet and not the type, Pau has been a leader in other teams but he's new. Lamarcus is basically almost just as new as Pau and I am not sure about his leadership either. Manu will have his own part to do with the bench guys. Tony saying he ha already spoken to Dejounte over the phone after the draft is a leadership thing to do. I imagine this is all at Pop's request.

But the biggest test for Tony is to lead by example and that's the tough part.

loveforthegame
07-27-2016, 01:38 AM
Hmm, I was looking forward to see Kawhi step up, but let's be honest, he's too quiet and not the type, Pau has been a leader in other teams but he's new. Lamarcus is basically almost just as new as Pau and I am not sure about his leadership either. Manu will have his own part to do with the bench guys. Tony saying he ha already spoken to Dejounte over the phone after the draft is a leadership thing to do. I imagine this is all at Pop's request.

http://www.caller.com/sports/professional/nba/popovich-spurs-assistant-adjust-to-life-without-duncan-38666f9c-a28c-19c8-e053-0100007f2dea-388081892.html

Leonard withdrew from Olympic consideration this summer, but this is still an important offseason for him. With Duncan gone, the Spurs are counting on him to show up to training camp ready to lead.

"We've groomed Kawhi these past few years for this leadership role," Udoka said. "When Tim was here, everybody was always going to be under his umbrella. Now that Tim is gone, it will be a good challenge for Kawhi to step up and become a leader."

dabom
07-27-2016, 01:42 AM
http://www.caller.com/sports/professional/nba/popovich-spurs-assistant-adjust-to-life-without-duncan-38666f9c-a28c-19c8-e053-0100007f2dea-388081892.html

Thank God. :lol

dabom
07-27-2016, 01:43 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/aZ3LDBs1ExsE8/giphy.gif

bdictjames
07-27-2016, 02:22 AM

He's done with this with Team France for years now, I'm sure he can take on that role just fine. Hopefully we'll see glimpses of MVParker or at least an unselfish floor general on the court, which is what we need.

YGWHI
07-27-2016, 02:52 AM

With TP saying in public he'll be the leader? Good luck Kawhi, you will need it.

I thought that the Spurs leader would be some humble-low key guy like Tim. But Parker? C'mon :lol

cutewizard
07-27-2016, 07:11 AM
TP can make a goal: lead the NBA in assists! Then, he would earn my respect.

really...........

bklynspursfan
07-27-2016, 07:39 AM

How is leading by example the tough part for Tony? Despite the garbage on here by a lot of folks regarding him, he is a fine example of someone who has sacrificed and gotten over himself. He's got the seniority and respect of his teammates.

I think he and Manu will collectively take on some of this stuff, just in a different manner than Timmy.

bklynspursfan
07-27-2016, 07:40 AM

really...........

Spurs pass too much for anyone on the spurs to lead the league in assists.

SASdynasty!
07-27-2016, 07:45 AM

really...........
The NBA assist leader hasn't won a title in 30 years.

RD2191
07-27-2016, 08:18 AM
Lol. Porker is a fucking clown.

lefty
07-27-2016, 08:44 AM
http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/03/HAHAHAHA-GIF.gif?gs=a

SASdynasty!
07-27-2016, 09:33 AM
He led the team in scoring for years and has always led the team in distribution. Seems like a natural fit.

cutewizard
07-27-2016, 10:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ttK1uM-ZrE

Clipper Nation
07-27-2016, 10:29 AM
:lol Porker says this shit every year. What he really means is that he's ready for another year of overdribbling, chucking, and freezing out Manu and Kawhi.

ducks
07-27-2016, 10:50 AM

really...........if he averaged 20 people here would still bitch

Diego20
07-27-2016, 10:59 AM
if he averaged 20 people here would still bitch

No, just no.

tmtcsc
07-27-2016, 11:03 AM
Manu is unquestionably the leader of this team now, not Parker. LMA and Leonard are jokes when it comes to leadership and that's coming from a huge KL fan. Leonard isn't vocal enough to be a leader and neither is LMA.

SAGirl
07-27-2016, 11:24 AM
How is leading by example the tough part for Tony? Despite the garbage on here by a lot of folks regarding him, he is a fine example of someone who has sacrificed and gotten over himself. He's got the seniority and respect of his teammates.

I think he and Manu will collectively take on some of this stuff, just in a different manner than Timmy.
Geez so sensitive? I think Tony has struggled the most of the big 3 adapting his game is all. He still ballhogs more than he should for example.

spurs10
07-27-2016, 11:32 AM
paywall free version:
http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Parker-ready-to-take-on-bigger-leadership-role-8425335.php?t=3edf2d3fb6c6ed8151&cmpid=twitter-premium Right on! Thanks for the full article. He sounds optimistic- as he would at such an event. Interesting to know he has played against Gasol since he was 14. Muchimas gracias!

spurs10
07-27-2016, 11:37 AM

I think he and Manu will collectively take on some of this stuff, just in a different manner than Timmy. It's only nature he and Manu will be in the leadership role and fortunately their nature position will allow them to direct traffic quite a bit.

SAGirl
07-27-2016, 11:39 AM
loveforthegame (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=2665) thanks for sharing that link.

This is what Pop said at Timmy's press announcement:http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17024510/nba-popovich-duncan-retirement-transcript

So even though his production stat-wise wasn't the same, we won 67 games because he still was the center of everything we did on both ends of the court; even whether people scored more. So we'll miss that and have to figure it out. Other people will have to step up leadership-wise. That'll be a huge thing for us: Who's gonna step up and be that quiet leader that everybody responds to and respects and feeds off of? Not a lot of people can handle that. So we'll see how that goes.

I think Pop is hoping Kawhi will step up, while at the same time remaining aware that the people-person part of leadership is probably not in his nature and he has to see how that goes. It is interesting for me as a fan to see this develop.

skulls138
07-27-2016, 11:41 AM
I think Kawhi will learn to lead. People dont take into account that when you play with the big 3, leadership is pretty much taken care of. I dont think hes going to let the course of his career take a dive because hes not vocal enough, hes come too far.

He'll always lead by example but the way he gets the steals and the rebounds and always improves, he wont let someone who doesnt do those things, plus score mind you, to dictate to him how to play.

SAGirl
07-27-2016, 11:59 AM
Here is the actual Tony interview. He only sounds eager to help the new players in this interview. :toast

:flag:

mbass
07-27-2016, 12:05 PM
I think manu and pau - both are smart, unselfish leaders. Parker is too self-centered and Leonard and LMA too mentally dense

bklynspursfan
07-27-2016, 12:13 PM
Geez so sensitive? I think Tony has struggled the most of the big 3 adapting his game is all. He still ballhogs more than he should for example.

I am not sure how I came across as sensitive? I simply posted a response to something that I disagreed with that you wrote. Idk if you're confusing me with another poster or have thin skin (didn't think you did) but I don't think there was anything overly sensitive about that haha

Anyway... the example you posted I don't buy entirely. I think everyone has their moments where they try to do too much. (those that handle the ball more often) Parker like TD gets ripped by Pop. In fact, out of the big 3 he has gotten it the worst. And he accepted it and allowed Pop to coach him that way. That in itself is huge for the young guys coming in.

I just don't think leading by an example is something that he'll struggle with. He goes out there and competes (even put more effort on the defensive end) and takes orders from his coach without fussing.

bklynspursfan
07-27-2016, 12:15 PM
It's only nature he and Manu will be in the leadership role and fortunately their nature position will allow them to direct traffic quite a bit.

Agreed. And even off the court/the bench they can continue teaching and mentoring. I've seen both of them do it before, now they'll probably just do it a bit more

SAGirl
07-27-2016, 12:23 PM
I am not sure how I came across as sensitive? I simply posted a response to something that I disagreed with that you wrote. Idk if you're confusing me with another poster or have thin skin (didn't think you did) but I don't think there was anything overly sensitive about that haha

Anyway... the example you posted I don't buy entirely. I think everyone has their moments where they try to do too much. (those that handle the ball more often) Parker like TD gets ripped by Pop. In fact, out of the big 3 he has gotten it the worst. And he accepted it and allowed Pop to coach him that way. That in itself is huge for the young guys coming in.

I just don't think leading by an example is something that he'll struggle with. He goes out there and competes (even put more effort on the defensive end) and takes orders from his coach without fussing.
Good point. I wasn't attacking Tony myself but it was my perception that you thought I did. I now understand better what you meant.

Anyways, I think he was genuine when he said he's looking forward to helping others adapt to the system. I was encouraged after seeing Tony's interview.

Keepin' it real
07-27-2016, 01:22 PM
Manu is unquestionably the leader of this team now, not Parker.

What does that have to do with Parker ready to take a bigger leadership role?

J_Paco
07-27-2016, 01:38 PM
Thank God. :lol

A leader not the leader, dumbass. Kawhi needs to lead the team (since he's the best player), but Tony, Manu and even Pau's veteran leadership is needed with so many young, inexperienced players coming a board this year.

It really isn't an either/or situation because the team needs all of them to step up to at least somewhat fill Timmy's massive shoes.

tmtcsc
07-27-2016, 01:44 PM
What does that have to do with Parker ready to take a bigger leadership role?

From my perspective, Manu's been a leader on the Spurs for years now. Leaders don't feel the need to say they are going to take bigger leadership roles, they just do it. All the talk is bullshit.

J_Paco
07-27-2016, 01:53 PM
From my perspective, Manu's been a leader on the Spurs for years now. Leaders don't feel the need to say they are going to take bigger leadership roles, they just do it. All the talk is bullshit.

Yet, you fail to realize that they both have been leaders on the team not just one or the other. The real leader is gone (Timmy), so now everyone else (including Popovich) needs to do more with Timmy's absence.

They both will be vital in helping integrate the new players and helping Kawhi/LaMarcus in becoming the true leaders they have to become for the team to be successful. Pau is going to also be vital in that sense because he's also a 15 year veteran in the league, but Tony and Manu know the Spurs' culture and playbook inside - out.

bic50
07-27-2016, 01:55 PM
Everyone is arguing that Kawhi, lma, parker, Manu will be the leader of the team. Watch it end up being bonner.

J_Paco
07-27-2016, 02:00 PM
Everyone is arguing that Kawhi, lma, parker, Manu will be the leader of the team. Watch it end up being bonner.

The team doesn't need one person to lead it since you have strong voices in Manu, Tony and Popovich still around. And the added benefit of a veteran, successful player like Pau Gasol coming on board with a high BBIQ and tons of experience.

They do need to have Kawhi and LaMarcus become more vocal and begin to take on that responsibility as well. Those two are the best players on the team and need to eventually become leaders like Timmy, Tony and Manu.

TheGreatYacht
07-27-2016, 02:57 PM
Everyone is arguing that Kawhi, lma, parker, Manu will be the leader of the team.
Player fans arguing among themselves, but I actually think it's a good thing to have so many candidates worthy of being leaders tbh

SASdynasty!
07-27-2016, 08:54 PM
Ballhogs? He's had more assists than anyone on the team for 14 years in a row. How many players in history can say that? And he continues to take a back seat and not shoot as much as his team continues to get bounced from the playoffs in early rounds. He needs to just be alpha again like 2012-2014. Maybe we can make some more deep playoff runs.

SASdynasty!
07-27-2016, 08:57 PM
Manu's great and with 10,000 more minutes, he will have Parker's experience.

ElNono
07-27-2016, 08:59 PM

Some players need to reassure themselves, tbh... he doesn't have a gold medal like Manu... maybe this summer...

DenialTwist
07-27-2016, 09:45 PM
Ballhogs? He's had more assists than anyone on the team for 14 years in a row. How many players in history can say that? And he continues to take a back seat and not shoot as much as his team continues to get bounced from the playoffs in early rounds. He needs to just be alpha again like 2012-2014. Maybe we can make some more deep playoff runs.

Spurs are not making "deep playoff runs" with the oldest backcourt (A 34 year old Parker and 38 year old Ginobili) among all the contenders. They are not beating the Warriors with their backcourt, simple as that. Parker can be alpha all he wants, until they replace him with a player who can go toe to toe with Curry and CP3 they aren't making the finals.

Seventyniner
07-27-2016, 09:46 PM

Parker was asked about leadership and he answered the question. Manu would have done the exact same thing.

SAGirl
07-27-2016, 10:11 PM
All I hear is yada, yada. Even Brooklyn spurfan admitted the guy ballhogs and dribble, dribbles too much on occasion. He only qualified it stating that happens to a lot of players at times.... better to accept he's not perfect than to debate this to oblivion. I could leave you to yap at the wind.

tmtcsc
07-27-2016, 10:13 PM
Parker was asked about leadership and he answered the question. Manu would have done the exact same thing.

Yeah, I see that now. I made my comments based on the headline. It's misleading actually. All he said in the article was that he was going to try to be a good leader. Fair enough and glad to hear it.

OrEmuN
07-27-2016, 11:11 PM
Actually TD influence on and off the court is too hard to be replaced completely by one person.
Parker may help to acclimatize the newbies while Manu, Kawhi and LMA do their part elsewhere.

Putting an arm over a teammate, giving instant in-game advice are some examples whereby the veterans can chip in.

SASdynasty!
07-28-2016, 09:13 AM
All I hear is yada, yada. Even Brooklyn spurfan admitted the guy ballhogs and dribble, dribbles too much on occasion. He only qualified it stating that happens to a lot of players at times.... better to accept he's not perfect than to debate this to oblivion. I could leave you to yap at the wind.
Have you seen the stats on his supposed "overdribbling"? He actually doesn't.

SASdynasty!
07-28-2016, 09:15 AM
Spurs are not making "deep playoff runs" with the oldest backcourt (A 34 year old Parker and 38 year old Ginobili) among all the contenders. They are not beating the Warriors with their backcourt, simple as that. Parker can be alpha all he wants, until they replace him with a player who can go toe to toe with Curry and CP3 they aren't making the finals.
They could make it to the WCF before meeting GS. They can also beat ChokeP3, as Parker has routinely over the years. If it's a second round match, you can pretty much guarantee the Clippers aren't winning.

xXx
07-28-2016, 09:36 AM
Just put Barry's wife in the front office. He balls out for that chic. Also, Pop, give TP the ball early and often and then send his ass to the bench the second he takes a bad jumpshot. Tony needs to attack or sit down. Period.

ElNono
12-25-2016, 11:57 PM
http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/03/HAHAHAHA-GIF.gif?gs=a

:lol

spursistan
12-26-2016, 12:05 AM
I so hate his still-thinking-this-is-2012-again heat checks after each mid range jumper made..:lol