PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Time To Be A Spurs Fan

Thomas82
07-28-2016, 09:03 AM
I have been a die hard Spurs fan since 1988 and have thoroughly enjoyed rooting for them every year since then. But the time I most enjoyed watching the Spurs was the Twin Towers Era, especially before David Robinson's back gave out. I liked watching them together on offense, especially with their high-low game, but the I really enjoyed seeing them together on defense. There was nothing like knowing that if an opponent managed to get by one of them, the other one would be at the basket waiting. A while back, one poster likened it to having 2 Dwight Howards on our defense. I used to love how fans of other teams would constantly tell me how unfair it was having both of them on our team.

What was your favorite time to root for the Spurs?

BD24
07-28-2016, 10:29 AM
2013-2014 season. I had just moved from Illinois to San Antonio, had been a lifelong spurs fan. Was amazing to get to watch the Spurs live so often and then get to bring it all home in the finals. Was down on the river walk for game 5. Really an amazing experience

07-28-2016, 10:35 AM
Every year since 1977-78 when I first discovered the sport.

Thomas82
07-28-2016, 10:41 AM
2013-2014 season. I had just moved from Illinois to San Antonio, had been a lifelong spurs fan. Was amazing to get to watch the Spurs live so often and then get to bring it all home in the finals. Was down on the river walk for game 5. Really an amazing experience

Yes, that was an amazing time to be a Spurs fan.

skulls138
07-28-2016, 10:51 AM
2014!

Oh the sweet revenge on, not only the Heat but all of the media haters who for some strange reason didnt want them to win.

Ruler
07-28-2016, 10:59 AM
Hey! I was there too, for the start of the game. For the first half I had to go to my sisters dance recital which is at the convention center on the riverwalk.
I was so mad because they kept announcing the scores in between performances. I had it recording and was like "Dammit, shut up!" That was an awesome season

bdictjames
07-28-2016, 11:09 AM
I really liked the 2005-2007 Spurs. The flexibility of the team, the ability to play run-and-gun, or grind-it-down, was simply phenomenal. Duncan, Manu and Parker were all great, coupled by the defensive nastiness of Bruce Bowen, the tenacity of Nazr Mohammed, the explosiveness of Elson, the careful craftiness of Brent Barry, the old man intelligentsia in Fabricio Oberto, and the deadly sharpshooting of Michael Finley... Although we didn't win as many games as we have had in years after that (probably because the rest of the league was skilled at that time), it was a great combination of youth, veteran leadership, and skill (not athleticism though... lol).

Thomas82
07-28-2016, 11:17 AM
I really liked the 2005-2007 Spurs. The flexibility of the team, the ability to play run-and-gun, or grind-it-down, was simply phenomenal. Duncan, Manu and Parker were all great, coupled by the defensive nastiness of Bruce Bowen, the tenacity of Nazr Mohammed, the explosiveness of Elson, the careful craftiness of Brent Barry, the old man intelligentsia in Fabricio Oberto, and the deadly sharpshooting of Michael Finley... Although we didn't win as many games as we have had in years after that (probably because the rest of the league was skilled at that time), it was a great combination of youth, veteran leadership, and skill (not athleticism though... lol).

Good post!!

TheRemix
07-28-2016, 11:30 AM
2014, man what a time to be a spurfan

daslicer
07-28-2016, 11:43 AM
'05-'07 since the big 3 were all still in their primes during that time period.

Horse
07-28-2016, 12:33 PM
I have been a die hard Spurs fan since 1988 and have thoroughly enjoyed rooting for them every year since then. But the time I most enjoyed watching the Spurs was the Twin Towers Era, especially before David Robinson's back gave out. I liked watching them together on offense, especially with their high-low game, but the I really enjoyed seeing them together on defense. There was nothing like knowing that if an opponent managed to get by one of them, the other one would be at the basket waiting. A while back, one poster likened it to having 2 Dwight Howards on our defense. I used to love how fans of other teams would constantly tell me how unfair it was having both of them on our team.

What was your favorite time to root for the Spurs?

The redemption was amazing but I'm with you. Drob made me a Spurs fan and after waiting what seemed like my whole life to see them finally win was incredible. That 4th quarter D was like a boa constrictor not sure we've ever seen anything like it. You just knew if the game was close come the 4th we would win.

Thomas82
07-28-2016, 02:36 PM
The redemption was amazing but I'm with you. Drob made me a Spurs fan and after waiting what seemed like my whole life to see them finally win was incredible. That 4th quarter D was like a boa constrictor not sure we've ever seen anything like it. You just knew if the game was close come the 4th we would win.

Yeah, I loved our defense. In fact, the '99 team set an NBA record for opponent field goal percentage (.4016).

Dre_7
07-28-2016, 02:39 PM
From June 25, 1997 - present

UNT Eagles 2016
07-28-2016, 02:53 PM
2005 ish

Chinook
07-28-2016, 02:54 PM
Medium Three era.

DJR210
07-28-2016, 02:59 PM
05'-07' was good as the big three were dominant as hell with an animal in Bowen but I enjoyed watching the Spurs dismantle the Heat after blowing it in 13'.. So much good shit talking to bandwagon Heat fans, good times.

SASdynasty!
07-28-2016, 03:04 PM
2007. Spurs at the closest thing to peaking. Lebron has only lost 2 playoff series in less than 6 games in his career. 2014 in 5 and 2007 in 4.

Poolboy5623
07-28-2016, 03:06 PM
Ive been watching since 1990...2003 and 2014 are the years ill remember most.

jsandiego
07-28-2016, 03:31 PM
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/64346765.jpg

DeRozan m8
07-28-2016, 04:45 PM

Oh man, this sounds like the dream.

Jealous as tbh

SAGirl
07-28-2016, 08:45 PM
I was on cloud 9 in 2014 but I live in the present. The time is now.

bdictjames
07-28-2016, 09:02 PM
Good post!!
Thanks m8! :toast

Sean Cagney
07-29-2016, 12:58 AM

I would say 2003-07 Spurs but that is a pretty good assessment of the team there and those years were great. They should have three peated during those years man. Manu, Tim and Parker were at their peak too as you said.

bdictjames
07-29-2016, 06:04 PM
I would say 2003-07 Spurs but that is a pretty good assessment of the team there and those years were great. They should have three peated during those years man. Manu, Tim and Parker were at their peak too as you said.
Thanks man. :toastv Almost forgot about Robert Horry. It was a great collection of present and past stars, which befittingly got us quoted "too old" lol.

tholdren
07-30-2016, 09:29 AM
I think the 90's through the 2000's. You had to live through the constant what if's with David's squads, and the frustration. Then you got the rings. Made the 80s 90s worthwhile.

It would suck to have just gotten on board in the 2000s - knowing and feeling the history is what it means to be a fan

mudyez
07-30-2016, 11:15 AM
Would love to talk about the old times (I'm all in on the Spurs since '93), but 2014 was sweeter than anything!

SilverSpur
07-30-2016, 12:32 PM
I would honestly have to say 1986 to present time. I've had a great time being a Spurs fan because I live in Laker country.
being the only spurs fan in the area who wears the jerseys and the only guy who wears a Spurs hard hat to work is special.
I love all the additions the team has added thur the years and always hoping they would win big.
In 86 when they added Johnny Dawkins and Walter Berry to a team that already had Alvin Robertson, and a year later drafted David Robinson. I thought for sure this team was on the rise,
89 they added Sean Elliott and Terry Cummings and Robinsons rookie year gave the Spurs at that time the biggest win / loss turn around in NBA history.
The Dennis Rodman experiment was intresting.
I love the Duncan era and all the players who have come and gone playing along side Timmy, especially Parker and Ginobili.
The development of Kawhi Leonard the signing of LMA . The ever growing list of draft and stash players. Watching D Leauge players develope and given a chance from time to time.
But now is also exciting , we've really change the roster for the 16-17 season. Can't wait to see players like Gasol, Dedmon, Lee, Forbes, Archidicono, Murrary, Garino.
Next year is unknown, but it will be fun watching them and rooting for them to do well, all while the Lakers are down in the dumps. Love that.
Right now is a great time to be a Spurs fan,
GO SPURS GO !

JFK
07-30-2016, 01:25 PM
I've been a lifelong fan of the Spurs, but the favorite time is now and since Duncan came aboard, because things changed for the better. Currently, at least there is talk of getting better one day and winning a title again, there is a marquee free agent that signed, LaMarcus, and then there are decent rookies they are finding or players they are finding.

There were days before when just another "Midwest Division" title seemed to be as good as we would ever be and sometimes felt hopeless. The John Lucas years were depressing because we could go on a streak and maybe think about going far into the playoffs (Not win it all just getting to a WCF was big) but then being brought down to earth because we really sucked ass with scrubs like Negele Knight on the team.

Prose
07-31-2016, 01:13 PM
1999....the first one is always the sweetest

Obi Juan Kenobi
07-31-2016, 11:32 PM
1999....the first one is always the sweetest

Same here...1999 will always be my favorite since it was also my first season being a Spurs fan...

Spur|n|Austin
07-31-2016, 11:45 PM
2003 was a very memorable season for me

z0sa
08-01-2016, 12:00 AM
2003 right after we spanked the Lakers by eleventy or so. The tears on Kobe's face, oh god, man that was the shit. after how we got our asses kicked by the Lakers during the 3peat, and just knowing it was our guys who dethroned them, that was a special moment for me in terms of being a spurs fan. Of course, being an original member of the NASF movement (didnt really become super enthusiastic about the Spurs til after we got Timmy) the Lakers were evil incarnate on a basketball court back then for us.

Sean Cagney
08-01-2016, 12:14 AM
2003 was a very memorable season for me

My personal fave title.

tony77
08-01-2016, 01:36 AM
I have 2. first was the day I saw Tim put his Spurs cap on for the first time, and 2nd was 2014, I had a good feeling the Spurs would win the whole thing, but never in the fashion that they did. they killed the Heat. I'll never forget that.

Thomas82
08-01-2016, 05:57 AM
My personal fave title.

Mine too.