PDA

View Full Version : I hate to say it but... TD gone makes this particular team better

UNT Eagles 2016
07-29-2016, 09:49 AM
Even before the knee injury, he's basically been a good shot blocker and solid finisher at the rim, that's about it and it's been that way for quite a few seasons now.

His 4-down efficiency has been atrocious since about 2010. Last shining moments were game 6 against OKC in 2014 when he got lucky a couple times (first with a generous call, then with a lucky bounce) and game 5 at LAC in 2015 when he made some critical buckets. But in general, his points per possession/efficiency rating in isolation situations has not been good for a long time, and we all know how 4-down bogs down our offense and leads to droughts and shooters getting cold (it's been an eternity since he's commanded double teams).

He never had a consistent mid range jumper (besides that bank shot from the side that completely went down the toilet about 8 years ago) and nowadays can't hit anything from more than 10 feet out at the top of the circle. Thus, he's a liability in the pick and pop, though Aldridge was the savior there.

His defensive game is limited to post defense (less important against today's NBA offenses) and shot blocking right at the rim. He's horrible against the pick and roll and has been for at least 10 years, but he was a different level of atrocious in that aspect in the last 2-3 years. He's not like Kanter/Ibaka/Adams who can usually get back to his man in time or switch, so he's basically unplayable on defense against the Warriors.

And his free throws took a nosedive once again last year. Then again, that's rarely been one of his strong suits.

Basically, Pau is objectively an upgrade, if you can't see that I don't know what game you are watching. This 67-win team just doesn't need Duncan anymore on the court, would be nice if he went to the majority of the games and continued to support his team though because his leadership is his best asset.

If I were the Spurs I would consider paying him a few million per season (non player salary) just to go to 60 games per year plus all playoff games and sit by the Spurs bench -- seriously. The guys love him.

mywastedlife900
07-29-2016, 10:53 AM
It's the leadership dummy.

kxs783kms
07-29-2016, 11:03 AM

What is leadership, when Pop takes you out and sits you at the end of key games? Especially when the player who is subbing for you is D. West. Fans hate to admit it but Timmy was getting to the point where he was hurting us in a lot of areas. But it's OK! You can still be truthful about Tim and still love him for the player he was. He'll still be the GOAT you know.

Horse
07-29-2016, 12:37 PM
Even before the knee injury, he's basically been a good shot blocker and solid finisher at the rim, that's about it and it's been that way for quite a few seasons now.

His 4-down efficiency has been atrocious since about 2010. Last shining moments were game 6 against OKC in 2014 when he got lucky a couple times (first with a generous call, then with a lucky bounce) and game 5 at LAC in 2015 when he made some critical buckets. But in general, his points per possession/efficiency rating in isolation situations has not been good for a long time, and we all know how 4-down bogs down our offense and leads to droughts and shooters getting cold (it's been an eternity since he's commanded double teams).

He never had a consistent mid range jumper (besides that bank shot from the side that completely went down the toilet about 8 years ago) and nowadays can't hit anything from more than 10 feet out at the top of the circle. Thus, he's a liability in the pick and pop, though Aldridge was the savior there.

His defensive game is limited to post defense (less important against today's NBA offenses) and shot blocking right at the rim. He's horrible against the pick and roll and has been for at least 10 years, but he was a different level of atrocious in that aspect in the last 2-3 years. He's not like Kanter/Ibaka/Adams who can usually get back to his man in time or switch, so he's basically unplayable on defense against the Warriors.

And his free throws took a nosedive once again last year. Then again, that's rarely been one of his strong suits.

Basically, Pau is objectively an upgrade, if you can't see that I don't know what game you are watching. This 67-win team just doesn't need Duncan anymore on the court, would be nice if he went to the majority of the games and continued to support his team though because his leadership is his best asset.

If I were the Spurs I would consider paying him a few million per season (non player salary) just to go to 60 games per year plus all playoff games and sit by the Spurs bench -- seriously. The guys love him.

Hey guy Fuck you!!!

Poolboy5623
07-29-2016, 12:44 PM
"The leadership"....lol, unreal

UNT Eagles 2016
07-29-2016, 07:42 PM
wrong
Right?

TrainOfThought5
07-29-2016, 07:45 PM
Not sure what kind of reaction OP was expecting, tbh

07-29-2016, 08:08 PM
Manu should've retired as well.

Kawhitstorm
07-29-2016, 08:21 PM
His 4-down efficiency has been atrocious since about 2010. Last shining moments were game 6 against OKC in 2014 when he got lucky a couple times (first with a generous call, then with a lucky bounce) and game 5 at LAC in 2015 when he made some critical buckets.

He scored on Blake at will in Gm 7:

GiKIwY8slsk

illusioNtEk
07-29-2016, 08:38 PM

Do you even watch the games son?

Timmy's presence alone causes major disruption on either the offence and defense end of the game.

SpursFan86
07-29-2016, 08:39 PM
As much as I love Timmy, he just wasn't the same after that knee injury in January. It'd take Pau suffering a pretty severe decline for him not to be an upgrade over post-knee injury Duncan.

That being said, Duncan is still clearly a net positive player and I would've loved to have him come back in a smaller role where we don't depend on him as much.

SpurPadre
07-29-2016, 08:44 PM
I hate that KG is still going to play another year but not Timmy.

DeRozan m8
07-29-2016, 08:44 PM
If we are talking about last seasons Timmy then yes.

This was the first time I wasn't keen on him coming back.

He was done.

Which takes nothing away from him.

SAGirl
07-29-2016, 08:49 PM

GiKIwY8slsk
:worthy: That Tim would have rung last season.:toast

skulls138
07-29-2016, 08:54 PM
Not sure what kind of reaction OP was expecting, tbhOr the reason he wrote it

skulls138
07-29-2016, 08:58 PM
I hate that KG is still going to play another year but not Timmy.Must be hard to retire when theres a hint of a chance you could do some good, really hard. Its the reason so many greats stay on too long. TD took the bull by the horns and said "I fucking retire bitches!!"

wyn50
07-29-2016, 09:06 PM
If it was a shorter season, he would probably still be playin

dbreiden83080
07-29-2016, 09:38 PM
Yeah no..

Spurs will win 55 or so games this year. 1st or 2nd round exit. Likely no more titles for many years to come. If ever again.

dbreiden83080
07-29-2016, 09:39 PM

KG should have quit 4 years ago. He is horrible.

DeRozan m8
07-29-2016, 09:55 PM
Yeah no..

Spurs will win 55 or so games this year. 1st or 2nd round exit. Likely no more titles for many years to come. If ever again.

Lol Timmy fans like you are just the worst.

Acting like 40 year old Duncan is the difference between a ring or not is sheer stupidity.

houston spurs fan
07-29-2016, 10:00 PM

Op needs his attention fix

DMC
07-29-2016, 10:04 PM
That time you put that gun in your mouth and thought "I don't matter" then suddenly an epiphany.. "maybe I will to someone one day"...

Never think like that again. Quitter.

bic50
07-29-2016, 10:21 PM
Blasphemy

itzsoweezee
07-29-2016, 10:53 PM
Tim was obviously hurt the second half of the season. Other than that, OP's take is trash, as usual.

pgardn
07-29-2016, 11:35 PM
Tim was fine at the beginning of the season. The other knee ended his career. Why must we have to go over this eleventy billion times....

No. Just No. We are not better off without healthy old Tim.

J_Paco
07-30-2016, 12:29 AM

You do realize that everything you typed was plainly obvious to anyone that watched any Spurs' games over the last 6 years? Timmy had a lot more "good moments" than the two you described - like when his 37/38 year old ass nearly carried the team to a title in '13 - but it's easier to sum it down to his two best recent moments.

He wasn't nearly the same level of player that he was the last 6 seasons of his career, but he still found ways to positively impact the game. And that is while playing on just one good leg through the duration of that time.

It isn't a guarantee that Garnett will return for next season especially with how poor he looked/performed last season. He has even less left than Timmy and Kobe, yet those two (were smart enough to) already called it quits.

Mikeanaro
07-30-2016, 12:40 AM
Even before the knee injury? Lol OP needs to try some new things in life, basketball takes are too much for him.

Sean Cagney
07-30-2016, 01:03 AM

GiKIwY8slsk
Tim was a beast in that series, our best player because Kawhi was bad in games 5-7.

callo1
07-30-2016, 04:03 AM
Blasphemy

Aye

DenialTwist
07-30-2016, 04:31 AM
Nah. But...it seems like Parker makes the team worse. You should read the comments on insidehoops forum and reddit. Everyone is basically saying that the spurs are missing an elite point guard if they want to compete against the Warriors.

cd021
07-30-2016, 05:14 AM

GiKIwY8slsk

He embarrassed DeAndre Jordan that year in the RS and PS

cd021
07-30-2016, 05:17 AM
Gasol is an offensive upgrade but not nearly the defender. Both are excellent passers and rebounder's. Team isn't better, I expect them to be the #2 seed and have 57 wins

r0drig0lac
07-30-2016, 06:35 AM
- current team is better than last season
- no relation with of Duncan's retirement

dbreiden83080
07-30-2016, 10:25 AM
Lol Timmy fans like you are just the worst.

Acting like 40 year old Duncan is the difference between a ring or not is sheer stupidity.

They weren't winning a title with him this year either. The last best chance was when they lost to the Clippers. Spurs fans are very spoiled, it's what comes with winning too many chips. You have teams like the Jazz, and Pacers that have never won anything in the NBA, and they have been around for 50 plus years. The Knicks have not won jack shit since the 70's in spite of having some damn good teams in the 90's. The reality is the odds point to some lean years for the Spurs. And the odds are very long of winning a chip again. And that is not a big deal to me. You can be a fan without thinking the title is coming every year.

dbreiden83080
07-30-2016, 10:28 AM
Gasol is an offensive upgrade but not nearly the defender. Both are excellent passers and rebounder's. Team isn't better, I expect them to be the #2 seed and have 57 wins

Gasol is old too and has that rep of being soft. I don't know how big an impact he will have. Getting to that point where big men fall off a cliff. His numbers look good but he won't be getting a lot of shots here, and he can't defend.

Obstructed_View
07-30-2016, 11:44 AM

"going to play" is kind of generous on your part. I don't think Garnett has played a meaningful minute of basketball in the last four years.

SpurPadre
07-30-2016, 01:44 PM
"going to play" is kind of generous on your part. I don't think Garnett has played a meaningful minute of basketball in the last four years.

true, but that he could get continue to add to his career stats while TD doesn't, is sickening, tbh.

bdictjames
07-30-2016, 02:43 PM
Defense is what makes this team click. Defense is what won Cleveland the championship. Tim was our defensive anchor, and while I can't see into the future, his defensive presence alone and knowledge of how the team clicks makes a big difference in whether we are a contender or not.

RD2191
07-30-2016, 03:43 PM
OP is a huge faggot.

cd021
07-30-2016, 05:24 PM
Gasol is old too and has that rep of being soft. I don't know how big an impact he will have. Getting to that point where big men fall off a cliff. His numbers look good but he won't be getting a lot of shots here, and he can't defend.

He is an excellent mid range shooter, passer and defensive rebounder, who can still post up on occasion. If the Spurs plug him in place of Duncan in the starting lineup this could be the most talented Starting lineup for the spurs in a decade. He won't have as many shots but he could get high percentage looks simply by spacing the floor and having Aldridge and Leonard play along side him along with Parker who seems to play well with floor spacing bigs.

Defensively, Gasol isn't mobile but he isn't terrible at the rim and his length makes it difficult to shoot over him on post ups (not that many centers actually do that anymore) His biggest issue is going to be defending in space but I don't think that will make him a net negative at all.

emmo
07-30-2016, 05:28 PM
Better than the start of last season? No way. Better than post-injury to Tim Spurs. Hell yes it's a better team.

Best case scenario is that Tim is around in future in some way to provide leadership, but not being relied on to contribute on the court with no knees.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-31-2016, 07:00 PM
As for Garnett, he took the mentor/bench warmer (usually inactive) role that TD didn't want because he wanted time with his kids. Can't compare the two.

skulls138
07-31-2016, 07:35 PM
Nah. But...it seems like Parker makes the team worse. You should read the comments on insidehoops forum and reddit. Everyone is basically saying that the spurs are missing an elite point guard if they want to compete against the Warriors.Players dont win, teams do and GSW might dominate the regular season but until they convince in the postseason theres always hope. We just have to make it to the playoffs.

I think Parker realizes that and wont have a need to match GSW's guard output. He will be more savvy and relaxed and be more of a facilitator.

spurs10
07-31-2016, 07:46 PM
Players dont win, teams do and GSW might dominate the regular season but until they convince in the postseason theres always hope. We just have to make it to the playoffs.

I think Parker realizes that and wont have a need to match GSW's guard output. He will be more savvy and relaxed and be more of a facilitator. Yes he will have won more rings than most team's starting line-ups put together.

Pauleta14
07-31-2016, 10:37 PM

z0sa
07-31-2016, 11:32 PM
You generalize too much. From the general, you need to make arguments based on specific scenarios. Timmy's post game was very effective vs LAC in 2015, for example, even being our first or second option at times. He struggled on switches (the CP3 series winner comes to mind) but his intangibles vs their bigs were still effective enough for Pop to keep him on the floor.

Vs OKC this season, on the other hand, he wasnt able to mitigate a percentage of his defensive struggles with baskets on the other end (and, to be fair, that was not a winning formula last year anyway) While his mid range game was better than you made it sound, it still has never been good enough to rely upon solely, much less when yourr a traffic cone on defense.

YGWHI
08-01-2016, 01:06 AM
You should read the comments on insidehoops forum and reddit. Everyone is basically saying that the spurs are missing an elite point guard if they want to compete against the Warriors.

We don't have to read other sites to know it...Unfortunately, Parker's Net negative in playoffs.

Sean Cagney
08-01-2016, 01:47 AM
true, but that he could get continue to add to his career stats while TD doesn't, is sickening, tbh.

Not really, all that is dropping his his career averages year after year.

Obstructed_View
08-01-2016, 10:19 AM

That might matter to people who try to compare the two of them with each other, I suppose. Garnett would be doing well to score 200 points this season. I'm sure if Garnett has a healthy season and does well, nobody will be happier for him than Tim Duncan.

J_Paco
08-01-2016, 11:04 AM
That might matter to people who try to compare the two of them with each other, I suppose. Garnett would be doing well to score 200 points this season. I'm sure if Garnett has a healthy season and does well, nobody will be happier for him than Tim Duncan.

I wonder if that "Mother's Day" story is true or if Garnett has since apologized? I just find it hard to believe that a seemingly "good natured" guy like Timmy could hate an opponent. As much as I love KG's game, I can unfortunately see him saying some scumbag shit like that to throw off an opponent. He's said other allegedly questionable and disrespectful things in "the heat of the moment" to other oppoents as well. Although, since that supposed moment Garnett has done nothing but show admiration and love for Timmy as a rival/opponent.

We'll probably never find out the actual truth of the matter.

Obstructed_View
08-01-2016, 03:12 PM
I wonder if that "Mother's Day" story is true or if Garnett has since apologized? I just find it hard to believe that a seemingly "good natured" guy like Timmy could hate an opponent. As much as I love KG's game, I can unfortunately see him saying some scumbag shit like that to throw off an opponent. He's said other allegedly questionable and disrespectful things in "the heat of the moment" to other oppoents as well. Although, since that supposed moment Garnett has done nothing but show admiration and love for Timmy as a rival/opponent.

Kevin Garnett is a classless piece of shit. It doesn't matter whether he apologized or not, because Timmy is NOT a classless piece of shit.

Sean Cagney
08-01-2016, 05:13 PM

Didn't he call Charlie V a cancer patient or something to that effect? That was cold man.

Thomas82
08-01-2016, 11:28 PM
Didn't he call Charlie V a cancer patient or something to that effect? That was cold man.

Yes he did, back in 2010.

NameLess Scrub
08-02-2016, 06:53 AM
It isn't a guarantee that Garnett will return for next season especially with how poor he looked/performed last season. He has even less left than Timmy and Kobe, yet those two (were smart enough to) already called it quits.

I'd say Kobe was also not smart enough. I think he was good to get media attention and make a lot of money, but he was done years ago, if not for anything else but his injuries.

Spurs 4 The Win
08-02-2016, 08:14 AM
Why is this thread not closed and deleted? Nobody wants to see this shit anywhere near the first page, disrespectful as fuk

Killakobe81
08-02-2016, 09:31 AM
:worthy: That Tim would have rung last season.:toast

you could see he had little elevation even then but so clutch so effective.
Everytime he had Blake on him it was like he could "see" right through him.
What a mismatch Timmy with Blake defending in the post ...

SAGirl
08-02-2016, 12:43 PM
you could see he had little elevation even then but so clutch so effective.
Everytime he had Blake on him it was like he could "see" right through him.
What a mismatch Timmy with Blake defending in the post ...
That series I could tell for sure how bad Tim wanted the repeat. It was his last great series and it was so shocking to see him so different against OKC bc he hardly had any other big help him against Blake and Deandre just a season b4. Tiago and Baynes were near unplayable and Diaw was just as undersized back then as he was against OKC in 2016. He was just more aggressive then, but Tim was the monster. That series was all Tim.

I can understand and accept his retirement. I even admire him bc he knew when it was time. In a way it's still bittersweet bc we now have some younger guys in the team that never played with him and he was a great teammate too. The leadership vacuum he left will be interesting to see how it gets filled. That's part of the themes for next season.

poeticism707
08-02-2016, 04:19 PM

Fuck you,

you dick taking faggot...

8FOR!3
08-02-2016, 04:51 PM

Agreed. And also this thread is disrespectful to Tim Duncan, his ability, and his accomplishments. I do think the team has been upgraded and Gasol at this point might have a little left in the tank than Timmy does, but let's not pretend for a second that Duncan retiring is addition by subtraction bc it's not.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-03-2016, 11:10 AM
ITT: short bus crew acting like imams on Muhammad/allah cartoon day.

cutewizard
08-03-2016, 11:12 AM

-------------------------------------------------------------------

agree

cutewizard
08-03-2016, 11:14 AM
He is an excellent mid range shooter, passer and defensive rebounder, who can still post up on occasion. If the Spurs plug him in place of Duncan in the starting lineup this could be the most talented Starting lineup for the spurs in a decade. He won't have as many shots but he could get high percentage looks simply by spacing the floor and having Aldridge and Leonard play along side him along with Parker who seems to play well with floor spacing bigs.

Defensively, Gasol isn't mobile but he isn't terrible at the rim and his length makes it difficult to shoot over him on post ups (not that many centers actually do that anymore) His biggest issue is going to be defending in space but I don't think that will make him a net negative at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Right there! Kudos and more power!

philldafunk
08-03-2016, 03:13 PM
You should try playing with him on 2K16, it's really sad.