PDA

View Full Version : Feinstein curses during Duke-Navy game

ShoogarBear
10-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Anyone know exactly what he said?

Feinstein to remain Navy announcer
Posted: Tuesday October 4, 2005 1:54PM; Updated: Tuesday October 4, 2005 3:21PM

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) -- Commentator John Feinstein will be back on the air for Saturday's Navy-Air Force game despite uttering an obscenity during the radio broadcast of last week's Navy game.

"No one feels worse about this than John. He made a mistake," Navy spokesman Scott Strasemeier said Tuesday.

Feinstein is a noted author of books about sports, including basketball, golf and the football rivalry between Army and Navy titled, "A Civil War: Army vs. Navy."

During the broadcast Saturday, Feinstein directed a profanity at the referees after a Duke receiver appeared to push a Navy defender so he could catch a 2-point conversion pass and tie the score 21-21 with 3 minutes, 20 seconds remaining. Navy came back to win 28-21.

Feinstein pulled himself from the rest of the broadcast and offered an on-air apology at the end of the game. He also immediately offered his resignation, but it was rejected.

"It was an inexcusable mistake," Feinstein said Tuesday. "I regretted it probably some kind of nano second after it was out of my mouth. I apologize to everybody who was listening and to the people at the academy who have been great to me and to my partners in the booth."

Strasemeier said because of Feinstein's busy schedule, he was only hired to be the radio color commentator for the games the Midshipmen have played against Maryland, Stanford and Duke and Saturday's game against Air Force in Annapolis.

Strasemeier said he received only one e-mail about what happened -- a request from a fan to retain Feinstein.

"I think people would feel differently if he didn't feel like he made a mistake," Strasemeier said. "He apologized right away. He offered his resignation."

Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/ncaa/10/04/bc.fbc.navy.obscenity.ap/index.html)

Horry For 3!
10-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Didn't see the game, who watches Navy vs Duke?

j-6
10-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Isn't he a Duke alum?