PDA

View Full Version : Monty Williams to Join Spurs Staff

Spur|n|Austin
07-29-2016, 10:36 PM
http://www.si.com/nba/2016/07/29/monty-williams-san-antonio-spurs-coaching-staff-usa-basketball

Dancelot
07-29-2016, 10:41 PM
Nice.

Chinook
07-29-2016, 10:42 PM
Interesting. Probably wants some stability right now

Dancelot
07-29-2016, 10:43 PM
I wonder if he decided to leave Okc because the bad memories about his wife who dieded or because of Durant?

ducks
07-29-2016, 10:51 PM
A democrat to join pop lol

Robz4000
07-29-2016, 10:54 PM
Welcome back Monty.

Robz4000
07-29-2016, 10:55 PM

Pop is a Democrat tbh.

illusioNtEk
07-29-2016, 10:55 PM
This guy is under rated. Welcome back home Monty

BatManu20
07-29-2016, 10:57 PM
Welcome back Monty.

Damn.

tmtcsc
07-29-2016, 10:58 PM
Lol, they wouldn't let him back in the Spurs facilities until Tim retired.

ismael-robert
07-29-2016, 11:01 PM
I doubt hes democrat cause of his strong faith but could be wrong

SpurPadre
07-29-2016, 11:03 PM

fortunately, Pop is a fierce liberal. Where have you been?

loveforthegame
07-29-2016, 11:04 PM
Welcome back. :tu

ElNono
07-29-2016, 11:08 PM
another yes man, ugh

SAGirl
07-29-2016, 11:09 PM
another yes man, ugh
In Becky I trust. If she ain't speaking her mind .. aw shucks

KDKSpurs24
07-29-2016, 11:29 PM
Nice :toast

PublicOption
07-29-2016, 11:31 PM
If Pop is so smart why is he a democrat?......................................... ....because republicans are so stupid.

K...
07-29-2016, 11:41 PM
another yes man, ugh

other than colangelo and phil, who isn't a pop yes man?

K...
07-29-2016, 11:42 PM
so he has to be a bench coach right? Did messina get an offer i don't know about?

dylankerouac
07-29-2016, 11:44 PM
Welcome back Monty!

apalisoc_9
07-29-2016, 11:50 PM
Exactly the kind of Guy you want to surround Kawhi with. He's a shitty coach no doubt, but he's also pretty good at building confidence. Anderson would benefitnfrom him too.

SilverSpur
07-29-2016, 11:59 PM
This is great news. I believe he was rehired for his credentials but I also believe it was to counter the Mike Brown hiring by Golden State.
Very surprised the spurs didnt bring back Mike Brown but we scored big with Monty.

LittleCriminal
07-29-2016, 11:59 PM
But will monty bring Westbrook with him???

spurtech09
07-30-2016, 12:21 AM
Exactly the kind of Guy you want to surround Kawhi with. He's a shitty coach no doubt, but he's also pretty good at building confidence. Anderson would benefitnfrom him too.No he is not........

spurtech09
07-30-2016, 12:22 AM
This is great news. I believe he was rehired for his credentials but I also believe it was to counter the Mike Brown hiring by Golden State.
Very surprised the spurs didnt bring back Mike Brown but we scored big with Monty.True

spurtech09
07-30-2016, 12:24 AM
Welcome back Monty!!!!!

Slippy
07-30-2016, 01:28 AM
Great news. Pops ready made replacement when he retires

TheGreatYacht
07-30-2016, 01:35 AM
Someone who's not a yes men! Finally!

Welcome back Monty :toast

Sean Cagney
07-30-2016, 01:37 AM
Yes sir......

T Park
07-30-2016, 01:50 AM
another yes man, ugh

yes because head coaches of his stature always have people around them that say "youre an idiot"

DeRozan m8
07-30-2016, 03:32 AM
If Pop is so smart why is he a democrat?......................................... ....because republicans are so stupid.

As stupid as losers who buy into this fake, two party delusional, divide and conquer shit.

The globalists control all.

Your vote is fake.

The election is not real.

The politics you see is all for show.

Cheers

Sean Cagney
07-30-2016, 03:36 AM
As stupid as losers who buy into this fake, two party delusional, divide and conquer shit.

Your vote is fake.

Cheers
This is the realist post in here, LOL politicians and parties and all that bullshit. Politics, pile of tricks... The world is duped by this nonsense and still buys in to it and the media etc., It's really laughable man. People are just fucking idiots I guess or just asleep.

hooperflash
07-30-2016, 03:44 AM

Genius.

DeRozan m8
07-30-2016, 06:42 AM
This is the realist post in here, LOL politicians and parties and all that bullshit. Politics, pile of tricks... The world is duped by this nonsense and still buys in to it and the media etc., It's really laughable man. People are just fucking idiots I guess or just asleep.

:bobo

Mr. Body
07-30-2016, 08:07 AM
Can we please use this thread to celebrate Monty Williams, the man, his career, and his joining the Spurs organization instead of dragging politics into it? Also, Republicans are stupid.

RD2191
07-30-2016, 08:52 AM

Your vote is fake.

Cheers
Tbfh

exstatic
07-30-2016, 09:26 AM
Great news. Pops ready made replacement when he retires

You're pretty dumb if you haven't realized that Pop's replacement is Ime Udoka, and it's been a done deal for a couple of years.

tholdren
07-30-2016, 09:32 AM
although i agree with your sentiment - I find it ironic that you partake in what makes this possible... internet, social media, posting on a forum thinking that your voice/opinion means anything.....

mudyez
07-30-2016, 09:36 AM
nice!

Spur|n|Austin
07-30-2016, 10:08 AM
You're pretty dumb if you haven't realized that Pop's replacement is Ime Udoka, and it's been a done deal for a couple of years.

Yep, this.

Slippy
07-30-2016, 10:11 AM

Hate to break it to ya but you are still a fuking idiot for posting bs thats pure specualation on your part.

Spurs9
07-30-2016, 10:13 AM
:wow

Chinook
07-30-2016, 10:16 AM
Hate to break it to ya but you are still a fuking idiot for posting bs thats pure specualation on your part.

Yeah. I think it's Ime as well, but there are a number of good candidates now. Not certain at all.

exstatic
07-30-2016, 10:34 AM

Explain why the Spurs go out of their way to re-assure an assistant that had only been on the bench for a year or two that when Messina was hired that he wasn't getting knocked down in the coaching order. Messina is here to learn the NBA coaching bench. He'll be gone someday, probably sooner than later. In spite of the fact that Messina and Udoka have the two seats nearest to Pop, and his ear, you NEVER hear about Ime interviewing for other jobs. Messina and Borrego both interviewed this summer for other positions.

SAGirl
07-30-2016, 10:50 AM
so he has to be a bench coach right? Did messina get an offer i don't know about?
I haven't heard anything on Messina, but I believe this is the last season on his contract anyways.

Solid D
07-30-2016, 10:51 AM
The defense just got tougher. Grrrrreeaatttt news!

Uriel
07-30-2016, 10:56 AM
Can we please use this thread to celebrate Monty Williams, the man, his career, and his joining the Spurs organization instead of dragging politics into it? Also, Republicans are stupid.

xXx
07-30-2016, 11:10 AM
The writing was on the wall with this one.

Slippy
07-30-2016, 11:10 AM
Lol assurance of pecking order & closest seats to pop is you reading into things.Like that seals the deal.

What you reckon they told Monty to get him on board. Keeping in mind this guy has history with the spurs and proven nba coaching experience . Realize we grooming Ime You are here just to educate.

OR The chance of coaching this team once pop retires is a realistic possibility.

One guy is ready . One isn't

ElNono
07-30-2016, 11:27 AM
yes because head coaches of his stature always have people around them that say "youre an idiot"

why not? he pretty much allowed that when he went to work for coach K and Colangelo.

Monty's life story is legit sad, and I don't hate the person at all.

But much like Mike Brown, they were generally terrible coaches (with top talent). Peeps hate on Messina, but at least the guy brought a completely different perspective and had a fairly successful career as a coach.

These guys, on the other hand, feel like they're just getting a job so they don't disappear into oblivion.

sasaint
07-30-2016, 11:36 AM
No he is not........

Which part are you disagreeing with?

Obstructed_View
07-30-2016, 11:41 AM
why not? he pretty much allowed that when he went to work for coach K and Colangelo.

Monty's life story is legit sad, and I don't hate the person at all.

But much like Mike Brown, they were generally terrible coaches (with top talent). Peeps hate on Messina, but at least the guy brought a completely different perspective and had a fairly successful career as a coach.

These guys, on the other hand, feel like they're just getting a job so they don't disappear into oblivion.

He didn't try at all as a player. He was just there to collect a paycheck and watch games. He seems like a really nice guy, but I haven't seen any evidence that his coaching career is any different from his playing career.

Sean Cagney
07-30-2016, 01:55 PM
although i agree with your sentiment - I find it ironic that you partake in what makes this possible... internet, social media, posting on a forum thinking that your voice/opinion means anything.....

All of our opinions and voices mean something man, so that part I disagree with. You mean will it change things or the way it is or world? No it will not, but we have the free right to voice what we believe on the boards and that is what makes this a great place to post. I do partake on the internet, that part is very true so I am guilty of things too.

I agree fully and then you throw in the last part to keep it up though. I am not Republican btw., but neither party really interests me and both have their major flaws but that is a different subject.

Monty was a great hire.

Aztecfan03
07-31-2016, 02:00 AM
All of our opinions and voices mean something man, so that part I disagree with. You mean will it change things or the way it is or world? No it will not, but we have the free right to voice what we believe on the boards and that is what makes this a great place to post. I do partake on the internet, that part is very true so I am guilty of things too.

I agree fully and then you throw in the last part to keep it up though. I am not Republican btw., but neither party really interests me and both have their major flaws but that is a different subject.

Monty was a great hire.
I am Republican, but most of both parties look like fucking idiots right now.

Mel_13
07-31-2016, 07:29 AM
Stein posted a more complete article yesterday. The highlights:

Sources told ESPN that Williams -- who left the Oklahoma City Thunder's bench in February after the tragic death of his wife, Ingrid -- has been urged by Spurs coach Gregg Popovich to take as much of a role with the organization as he feels comfortable for the 2016-17 campaign.

The specifics of what role Williams would fill and how much time he could commit have not yet been determined, but sources say San Antonio has opened the door to either a coaching and player-development role or a front-office position (or a hybrid), depending on what he prefers.

Williams' in-laws live in San Antonio and have been assisting him with the couple's five children in the wake of Ingrid Williams' death after a Feb. 9 collision in which a car crossed over onto the wrong side of the road and struck her vehicle head-on.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17176748/monty-williams-expected-join-san-antonio-spurs-staff

tholdren
07-31-2016, 08:19 AM

Sources told ESPN that Williams -- who left the Oklahoma City Thunder's bench in February after the tragic death of his wife, Ingrid -- has been urged by Spurs coach Gregg Popovich to take as much of a role with the organization as he feels comfortable for the 2016-17 campaign.

The specifics of what role Williams would fill and how much time he could commit have not yet been determined, but sources say San Antonio has opened the door to either a coaching and player-development role or a front-office position (or a hybrid), depending on what he prefers.

Williams' in-laws live in San Antonio and have been assisting him with the couple's five children in the wake of Ingrid Williams' death after a Feb. 9 collision in which a car crossed over onto the wrong side of the road and struck her vehicle head-on.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17176748/monty-williams-expected-join-san-antonio-spurs-staff

what great hast mont done as a coach? Lots of headlines about his wife not his accomplishments

UZER
07-31-2016, 08:44 AM
Ime...Pop's Bonner of the coaching staff.

BillMc
07-31-2016, 09:48 AM

Wondering that too. Was he especially tight with Westbrook?

DMC
07-31-2016, 11:16 AM
I wonder if he decided to leave Okc because the bad memories about his wife who dieded or because of Durant?
Because he had 5 kids and a life to care more about. His inlaws are in SA and he needs some family support that doesn't require long distance travelling with 5 kids. It's got to be a tough gig. I feel for him.

DMC
07-31-2016, 11:17 AM
what great hast mont done as a coach? Lots of headlines about his wife not his accomplishments

It's not all about accomplishments. There are a lot of unaccomplished coaches. I'll take a good one over an asshole.

DMC
07-31-2016, 11:19 AM
It's a fucking cartoon and we're fucked.

Sean Cagney
07-31-2016, 12:36 PM

^^^ Yes sir.
It's a fucking cartoon and we're fucked.

Basically this too.

LittleCriminal
07-31-2016, 12:51 PM

Honestly I do not know..

Kindergarten Cop
07-31-2016, 12:57 PM

http://uproxx.com/dimemag/russell-westbrook-kevin-durant-talk-smack-monty-williams/

BillMc
07-31-2016, 01:51 PM
http://uproxx.com/dimemag/russell-westbrook-kevin-durant-talk-smack-monty-williams/

Thanks. :toast Could be just one incident but doesn't look good.

Man, it just seems like Westbrook doesn't taking coaching. Pop would have his work cut out for him.

gambit1990
07-31-2016, 02:11 PM
classic russell :lol

Spurtacular
07-31-2016, 06:59 PM

Doubt he liked Donovan. That whole I'm taking the year off thing to grieve never washed, tbh. Not saying he wasn't in deep grief; but work would've been a good outlet. He saw an excuse to get away from Donovan. If it had been Pop, he'd have been back after a month or less.

gospursgojas
07-31-2016, 09:46 PM
Complain about guys like Jim Boylen

Get legit HC talent like Monty Williams

Complain about Monty Williams

-ST.com

07-31-2016, 11:31 PM
Nice to have another experienced coach on the bench. Pop probably just doing this as a favor to Monty though so he can gradually transition back to another coaching position. Probably won't be here long term.

YGWHI
07-31-2016, 11:50 PM

Makes sense after losing Forcier

z0sa
08-01-2016, 05:06 AM

The system relies first and foremost upon participation. Without it, youre right, it becomes flawed, even twisted and fraudulent. If youre not voting, youre actually playing into the hands of both parties, who usually want to suppress as many voters as possible so they can keep the status quo with as little effort as possible.

Moral of the story is vote and be heard.

Of course this doesnt apply to the presidential election due to the INCREDIBLY outdated electoral college taking precedent over the popular vote.

wildbill2u
08-01-2016, 08:57 AM
Nice to have another experienced coach on the bench. Pop probably just doing this as a favor to Monty though so he can gradually transition back to another coaching position. Probably won't be here long term.

Seeing that Williams' in-laws are here in SA and he probably needs some support in raising five kids while in ANY basketball job that requires traveling, I think you might put this hire in the category of more FO and Pop "Good Works". It sounds like they made a place for him and are going to let him work out his actual duties so as to make his mourning period about his wife a little easier. I doubt this aspect of the hire will get much publicity--and Pop would never take credit for it--but I bet other players and coaches around the league are taking notice that the Spurs are about more than being a premier basketball team.

We have more reasons than championships to be very proud of the Spurs and the way they represent the city.

FkLA
08-01-2016, 01:56 PM
We have more reasons than championships to be very proud of the Spurs and the way they represent the city.

Except for that faggot Enrique who sleeps with teammates' wives tbh.

Solid D
08-01-2016, 02:23 PM
It would be an absolute shock to me if Pop doesn't use Monty to work with the defense in some way.

illusioNtEk
08-01-2016, 02:39 PM
Maybe this will help us sign Anthony Davis.... maybe LMA willing to take paycut after his contract.

poeticism707
08-01-2016, 05:23 PM

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Mel_13
09-15-2016, 10:39 AM
From Buck Harvey's column:

At least Popovich is doing something familiar as he takes the first step toward another season. He and his staff leave for the West Coast on Friday for their annual retreat, where, as Popovich said, “the arguing will begin.”

Included on this retreat is Monty Williams, the onetime Spur and former head coach of New Orleans. Williams has officially joined the Spurs, though Popovich is still unsure whether Williams will work from the bench or from R.C. Buford’s box.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/article/Hole-in-his-gut-Spurs-Popovich-moves-on-9222728.php?t=99614805f7ebaa2aab&cmpid=twitter-premium

ginobilized
09-15-2016, 11:01 AM

At least Popovich is doing something familiar as he takes the first step toward another season. He and his staff leave for the West Coast on Friday for their annual retreat, where, as Popovich said, “the arguing will begin.”

Included on this retreat is Monty Williams, the onetime Spur and former head coach of New Orleans. Williams has officially joined the Spurs, though Popovich is still unsure whether Williams will work from the bench or from R.C. Buford’s box.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/article/Hole-in-his-gut-Spurs-Popovich-moves-on-9222728.php?t=99614805f7ebaa2aab&cmpid=twitter-premium
Thanks for the share Mel_13!
I too am excited by what this team could become.

Spur|n|Austin
09-15-2016, 11:06 AM
It's beginning to look a lot like Spursmassss!

SAGirl
09-15-2016, 05:06 PM

I expect that meeting to be where coaches design what the heck they are doing with guys through the season. That is where they will tweak offenses, decide if Kawhi is to do more ballhandling, if Pau starts, helps the bench or what, roles for all the bench guys. I bet they take footage video of olympics games, the rotation guys summer league games, the OKC and Memphis series' etc. It's so interesting to hear the coaches argue and debate about what to do. I expect there to be some debate about whether they are playing a 4 out style in the bench with either Bertans or Anderson as a 4, or whether they play Lee and attempt to solve that riddle of fit. I bet they are reminded that the riddle they encountered last season with Diaw/West was never solved. So interesting... Thanks for sharing. :toast

cutewizard
09-16-2016, 11:28 AM

makes me excited

cutewizard
09-16-2016, 11:31 AM
Look at that:

They still have him around, though. Duncan hasn’t been in the Spurs’ practice facility every day this summer, but he was there this week. He hits the weight machines, does some shooting, hangs around the guys.
--------------------------------------

Our Tim loves the game so much, and his Spurs team.

----------------------------------

But wait, WHAT IF HE..........................COMES BACK???????

jyra
09-16-2016, 11:56 AM

So it's a front office role for Monty Williams. Will Hardy was the video coordinator last season and coached the Summer League with Becky for the last two season, probably fills the gap left by Forcier.

Chinook
09-16-2016, 12:04 PM

So it's a front office role for Monty Williams. Will Hardy was the video coordinator last season and coached the Summer League with Becky for the last two season, probably fills the gap left by Forcier.

I always found Hardy lacking. Feels like Boylen-lite.

TheDoctor
09-16-2016, 12:23 PM
I always found Hardy lacking. Feels like Boylen-lite.

Same here.

szkorhetz
09-16-2016, 01:01 PM
Landry Field just became our college scout? Guy was balling in NY.

SAGirl
09-16-2016, 07:43 PM

I imagine Monty chose a FO role due to his widower status with 5 kids. It's just not practical for him to be traveling on the road anymore. I wish him the best.

I like Hardy the person, wish him the best too. I think he probably needed to grow some more as a coach (didn't have any impressive SL showings these past couple of seasons), but OTH it did seem like he was able to establish good rapport with players on a very quick schedule. On the fence about him, but no matter. Becky is the star!

09-18-2016, 03:53 PM
I imagine Monty chose a FO role due to his widower status with 5 kids. It's just not practical for him to be traveling on the road anymore. I wish him the best.
I got the same impression. Couldn't be more happy for him, and wish him the best.

Spur|n|Austin
09-18-2016, 10:12 PM
Look at that:

They still have him around, though. Duncan hasn’t been in the Spurs’ practice facility every day this summer, but he was there this week. He hits the weight machines, does some shooting, hangs around the guys.
--------------------------------------

Our Tim loves the game so much, and his Spurs team.

----------------------------------

But wait, WHAT IF HE..........................COMES BACK???????

http://i.imgur.com/V8MXyPd.gif