PDA

View Full Version : 90s Music or 80s Music?

MannyIsGod
10-04-2005, 05:09 PM
90s for me. Without a doubt.

JoeChalupa
10-04-2005, 05:11 PM
70's and 80's!! Classic rock rocks!!!!

mavsfan1000
10-04-2005, 05:12 PM
I agree. Both 70's and 80's are better than the 90's.

Spurminator
10-04-2005, 05:13 PM
The 80s were awful. Schmaltzy overproduced crap. Look at all of the great musicians that ended up sucking once 80s record companies got ahold of them.

Although the one thing I'll give the 80s is that every song still had a guitar solo. For whatever reason, in the Nineties those became taboo.

John T
10-04-2005, 05:13 PM
70's and 80's!! Classic rock rocks!!!!

Another vote for 70's and 80's!!

Carie

TheWriter
10-04-2005, 05:15 PM
My vote goes to the 80's, if only for nostalgic purposes.

90's music pretty much sucked besides a few good songs here and there.

I'm diggin' what's been put out in the 00's though. A lot of good bands, more indie if anything.

Kdfelicity
10-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Gosh, that's a hard one...I think I'm going to have to ponder bout that while in class today cuz I sure won't be concentrating on class material...I'll get back to ya on this one later tonight...

ALVAREZ6
10-04-2005, 05:16 PM
80's

MannyIsGod
10-04-2005, 05:18 PM
I think the 70s are better than both the 80s or 90s, but that really wasn't the question. I think the 60s are better than the 70s, so take that!

The 90s were incredible. There was a lot of shit around torwards the end of the decade, but the music coming out in the first half of the decade was phenomenal.

I dig the 00s so far too. When you have a society with so much anger, the art produced tends to be far more intense. There's a lot of good shit out there. There is a lot of good "indie rock" but there is a lot of shit as well.

Anyhow, the 80s were pretty horrible for the most part.

Spurminator
10-04-2005, 05:20 PM
I agree, this decade kicks both of the last two decades' asses.

I think the explosion of Internet music has reinvigorated "niche" music, and you no longer have to be radio friendly to be successful.

Tres_Till_it_MHz
10-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I like music.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2005, 05:22 PM
I guess 90's, but don't count the 80s as horrible..

I don't think the 80's were horrible at all. There was alot of bad stuff, but plenty of great stuff. They just did so much coke back then that its natural theres really bad and really good stuff from that era.

Nostalgia makes me feel really good and warm inside, so I love 80's music. New Order, Information Society, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode

the bolded ones are ill, the others just have selected good songs and they popped in my head first
Slayer released their most hardcore albums in the 80's
Metallica too
Rush had one good 80's album
Janes Addiction's first album was released in the 80s

So was NIN's i think
Gary Numan is a bad ass artist, I love his stuff.

Thats all i can think of right now.

sa_butta
10-04-2005, 05:26 PM
I love 80's music but I got to give it to the 90's.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien pretty much shifted the paradigm of the electric guitar, and without it, there would have been pretty weak heavy shit for the 90's, as far as bands with guitar solo's go

I think Sonic Youth got started in the 80's as well, i like them too.

ObiwanGinobili
10-04-2005, 05:28 PM
I can't pick. they re[present differnt moods for me.
sometimes i'm all 70's rock.. then I'll want some 80's pop... or maybe some early/mid 80's heavy metal.
90's grunge is kida reflective.... and I like 90's hip hop when I'm cleaning the house -it's a party mood.

JoeChalupa
10-04-2005, 05:28 PM
It really is just a matter of taste....and age I think.

I agree with Manny that 60's music kicked ass!

I grew up with 60's and 70's music and the 80's were during my hard party years but I listened to everything from hard rock to jazz to the GoGo's to Men at Work to Missing Persons to the Doobie Brothers so to me it is what "take you back".

I still listen to current music but I just can't get into it as much because I don't listen to music, well new music I should say but there is always good music out there it just depends on your taste.

I really like the Dave Matthews Band.

Horry For 3!
10-04-2005, 05:29 PM
I like just about every kind of music from every generation. But if I had to choose, I'd probably go with the 70s.

MannyIsGod
10-04-2005, 05:29 PM
See, NIN was an 80s band, but their best stuff came out in the 90s. I agree, Depeche Mode and New Order were both pretty bad ass in the 80s, but I can't stand Rush. Metallica had some awesome stuff in the 80s as well, and you can't forget about U2.

Janes Addiction put their best stuff out in the 90s as well.

But man, when I think about Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana, (early) Bush, Alice In Chains, Dre, Snoop, Crystal Method, Chemical Brothers, Garbage, Duncan Sheik, and some of my other 90s music I just get giddy.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2005, 05:30 PM
Al B. Sure is the shit too, lol

Nostalgia also makes me like the shitty cheesy dance 80's music, cuz thats the stuff they used to play at Skateworld. Stuff like technotronic, CC music factory, etc

MannyIsGod
10-04-2005, 05:30 PM
Oh yeah, Dave's stuff in the 90s was awesome. Post 00 Dave is lukewarm at best.

MannyIsGod
10-04-2005, 05:31 PM
:lmao @ C&C

I'm just squirel trying to get a nut to move your butt.

JoeChalupa
10-04-2005, 05:32 PM
Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien pretty much shifted the paradigm of the electric guitar, and without it, there would have been pretty weak heavy shit for the 90's, as far as bands with guitar solo's go

I think Sonic Youth got started in the 80's as well, i like them too.

Don't forget Eddie Van Halen and Randy Rhoades.

MannyIsGod
10-04-2005, 05:33 PM
I completely left off the Cranberries, Oasis, and Blur. I'm slacking.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2005, 05:33 PM
See, NIN was an 80s band, but their best stuff came out in the 90s. I agree, Depeche Mode and New Order were both pretty bad ass in the 80s, but I can't stand Rush. Metallica had some awesome stuff in the 80s as well, and you can't forget about U2.

Janes Addiction put their best stuff out in the 90s as well.

But man, when I think about Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana, (early) Bush, Alice In Chains, Dre, Snoop, Crystal Method, Chemical Brothers, Garbage, Duncan Sheik, and some of my other 90s music I just get giddy.

No doubt, at first i had said slightly 90s but i realized that was wrong. But I dont think 80's sucked at all.

Pretty Hate machine has some of my favorite NIN songs and "Ocean Size" is probably my 2nd favorite Jane's song.

I never was into the 90's electronica movement at the time, but the nostalgia kicks in these days and now i like it.

As for rap, I cannot stop bobbing my head (or laughing) when I listen to old school NWA

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
10-04-2005, 05:35 PM
My rank:

60s
70s
90s
50s
80s

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2005, 05:35 PM
Don't forget Eddie Van Halen and Randy Rhoades.

fuck yeah man

well im not a VH fan, but Randy fucking Rhoades, his version of some of Ozzy's songs go soooo freakin hard

MannyIsGod
10-04-2005, 05:36 PM
Shit, I am slipping. I forgot Radiohead!!!!!!

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2005, 05:38 PM
i think 90s is greater than 80s
but 90s is greater than 00's by a much wider margin

i have seriously bought like 10 cd's TOPS this entire decade so far.
Maybe im not getting out there enough, but most of what i hear is curdled rehashed hacnkeyed spineless corporate shit

i just remember liking so much more on the radio in the 80s and 90s. That brings up the question, has the quality of my tastes changed or is it mostly the quality of what's out there? I think its the stuff out there. It's like survivor trying to find a decent band these days.

MannyIsGod
10-04-2005, 05:43 PM
The quality of radio has gone way done. But there is still plenty of good music.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2005, 05:44 PM
The best shit always finds you though.

Guess I'll just keep listenin to Spice 1 and UGK.

sa_butta
10-04-2005, 05:56 PM
The best shit always finds you though.

Guess I'll just keep listenin to Spice 1 and UGK.Hey CBF you listenin to some tight shit. One of my fav. songs
One Day-UGK

SpursWoman
10-04-2005, 05:56 PM
I agree, this decade kicks both of the last two decades' asses.

All I hear this decade is regurgitated hip-hop crap. What am I missing....besides all of those little obscure bands that I don't have the time to go looking for?

mavsfan1000
10-04-2005, 06:15 PM
Some of the talent of Late 70's and early 80's was incredible. Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne, Scorpions, Vandenberg, Whitesnake, ACDC, Cinderella, Yngwie Malmsteen, Metallica, Journey and etc. was some incredible stuff. Don't forget Guns N Roses, Motley Crue, and Joe Satriani. None of the 90's bands rocked that much. It was almost like playing fast on guitar was not cool. Only band I know that really rocked in the 90's was Pantera and bands that were from the 80's. Alternative music is good but not even close to the level of the 80's.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Some of the talent of Late 70's and early 80's was incredible. Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne, Scorpions, Vandenberg, Whitesnake, ACDC, Cinderella, Yngwie Malmsteen, Metallica, Journey and etc. was some incredible stuff. Don't forget Guns N Roses, Motley Crue, and Joe Satriani. None of the 90's bands rocked that much. It was almost like playing fast on guitar was not cool. Only band I know that really rocked in the 90's was Pantera and bands that were from the 80's. Alternative music is good but not even close to the level of the 80's.

I think you just did not listen to enough. What you said about guitar is seriously exactly what i say about 00's rock.

Thats one thing you have to give 80's rock credit for...even the shitty poppy commercial bands had talent, their lead guitarists would rip and shred at will. (Again, Joe Satriani pretty much started this trend, at least for that style of shredding)

Vashner
10-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Kanye West is the best quality of music and talent ever to be on the radio in history of music.

mavsfan1000
10-04-2005, 06:26 PM
I think you just did not listen to enough. What you said about guitar is seriously exactly what i say about 00's rock.

Thats one thing you have to give 80's rock credit for...even the shitty poppy commercial bands had talent, their lead guitarists would rip and shred at will. (Again, Joe Satriani pretty much started this trend, at least for that style of shredding)

Satch didn't start till the late 80's but there were many guitar virtuosos in the 80's. It started with Van Halen I. Eddie Van Halen was amazing on that cd. Yngwie Malmsteen was an amazing shredder with his debut cd "Rising Force". Satriani was more melodic and less ridged the way he played compared to Yngwie which but Yngwie is a faster player.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2005, 06:31 PM
Satch didn't start till the late 80's but there were many guitar virtuosos in the 80's. It started with Van Halen I. Eddie Van Halen was amazing on that cd. Yngwie Malmsteen was an amazing shredder with his debut cd "Rising Force". Satriani was more melodic and less ridged the way he played compared to Yngwie which but Yngwie is a faster player.

yeah, ive heard a lil malmsteen and he's cold.

Satch started in 85-86

You gotta give loads of credit to VH but i just don't like them, not my cup of tea. At the same time i can't ignore the sheer insanity of some of Eddie's solos and intros

TheTruth
10-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Mid to late '90s alt rock owns anything the '80s put out.

mavsfan1000
10-04-2005, 06:48 PM
I totally disagree but whatever you like. Musicians in the 80's were unbelievable if you look pass the pop stuff.

nickbroken
10-04-2005, 07:20 PM
How can we forget imho the best band of the 90's thats still around, well maybe one of the only ones that is and I think one of the best of the 90's TOOL ;), the 90's was the best, NiN,TOOL,radiohead,I actually listened to radio stations back then.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2005, 07:25 PM
How can we forget imho the best band of the 90's thats still around, well maybe one of the only ones that is and I think one of the best of the 90's TOOL ;), the 90's was the best, NiN,TOOL,radiohead,I actually listened to radio stations back then.

yeah why the fuck does TOOL have to be one of those bands that releases an album only every 5 years

i remember danny carrey saying they were working on the new album and he was DESIGNING some new state of the art drums for the album, and this was like 3 years ago...

mavsfan1000
10-04-2005, 07:29 PM
They both were great decades. I see the 80's had much better guitar and stuff and the 90's much better singers. I would rather have the musicians. I almost discredited the 90's by not mentioning Dream Theater. That band was amazing and had an 80's sound to it but was in the 90's.

nickbroken
10-04-2005, 07:37 PM
yeah why the fuck does TOOL have to be one of those bands that releases an album only every 5 years

i remember danny carrey saying they were working on the new album and he was DESIGNING some new state of the art drums for the album, and this was like 3 years ago...

New album is out soon, was checking out stuff on it on Adam Jones' myspace site, has pics of them recording, it prolly wont be out till early 06, but eh I rather tool release an album ever 5ish years and it be kick ass instead of them release one ever one or two years and it be a piece of shit like oh so many bands.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2005, 07:39 PM
New album is out soon, was checking out stuff on it on Adam Jones' myspace site, has pics of them recording, it prolly wont be out till early 06, but eh I rather tool release an album ever 5ish years and it be kick ass instead of them release one ever one or two years and it be a piece of shit like oh so many bands.

NATURALLY :)

CharlieMac
10-04-2005, 07:43 PM
90's.

Too Short, Sat N Peppa and the Cobain. I mean, come on.

midgetonadonkey
10-04-2005, 07:49 PM
I'd have to say the 90's. Just because I was a teen during the 90's and the music much more meaning to me.

Marklar MM
10-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Sandstorm is all you need to live a happy and prosperous life...Sandstorm and all mixes including Sandstorm.

Shelly
10-04-2005, 08:06 PM
See, NIN was an 80s band, but their best stuff came out in the 90s.

I wouldn't consider NIN an 80s band. Pretty Hate Machine was released in 1989.

Marklar MM
10-04-2005, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't consider NIN an 80s band. Pretty Hate Machine was released in 1989.

1989 was in the 80s... :spin

mavsfan1000
10-04-2005, 08:11 PM
I agree. Pretty Hate Machine sounds very 90's like.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2005, 08:14 PM
PHM sounds 90's like in what way?

the beats were industrial-esque, and that shit was already going on. It was released in 89.

PHM couldn't sound more late 80's to me.

re-listen to the bass and beats of the intro to Head like A Hole. That ain't 90's

MannyIsGod
10-04-2005, 08:45 PM
I should be shot for forgetting Tool.

Guru of Nothing
10-04-2005, 08:46 PM

Ever listened to the Replacements? Jason and the Scorchers? Camper Van Beethoven? R.E.M? (I really don't like R.E.M., but this seems like an appropriate thread in which to mention them) Husker Du? ... Dinosaur Jr.? ... The Pixies? ... The Cramps? ... U2? ... Siouxsie and the Banshees? ... The Butthole Surfers? ... Lloyd Cole and the Commotions?

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2005, 08:47 PM
all this music talk and nickbrocken's comment about myspace got me searching for adam jones site on myspace with no luck

but i found NIN's site, and blogged around a while, then i realized they still had seats available for the San Antonio show, shitty seats, but seats nonetheless
I have wanted to see this band since Jr High and if it means sitting in section 201 of the SBC center, then by god it is worth it

I just got two tix :elephant :elephant :elephant

Looks like Sunday-day is gonna be off tha heezee fo' sheezee

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2005, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the link, nick.

I have to share this with everyone....just a fucking sign of how bad ass adam jones is

on his "about me" of his myspace, he has the Litany Against Fear, from DUNE (written by frank herbert, of course)

" I must not fear . Fear is the mindkiller . Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration . I will face my fear . I will permit it to pass over and through me . And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path . Where the fear has gone there will be nothing . ONLY I WILL REMAIN . "

fuckin BAD

nickbroken
10-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Anytime bro, TOOL is the shit and it's hard to find any band close to them, atleast for me...maybe Mars Volta, but they are all really cool guys.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2005, 09:37 PM
I've still never really listened to Mars Volta. Everyone I've heard of says they rock hard, and are one of hte best bands. Everyone i've heard who's seen them live have said its one of the best surreal shows they've ever been to.

Maybe I should get an album..

nickbroken
10-04-2005, 09:41 PM
De-loused is the best one imo mostly because you can actually hear the bass in that one, thank Flea.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2005, 09:48 PM
De-loused is the best one imo mostly because you can actually hear the bass in that one, thank Flea.

Flea is in Mars Volta or he helped produced deloused inthe comatorium?

Kdfelicity
10-04-2005, 10:04 PM
I'd have to say the 90's. Just because I was a teen during the 90's and the music much more meaning to me.

Yea. I've thought about it long enough..I know yall were all sweating bullets waiting for my verdict, so here it is...the 90s!! In the 80s I was just a kid but I didn't have as much exposure to music as I did in the 90s. So although the 80s started my journey into loving music, it was the 90s that I truly appreciated music from that decade and the 80s...

MannyIsGod
10-04-2005, 10:05 PM
The Mars Volta definetly does rock.

Duff McCartney
10-04-2005, 10:06 PM
They are both just as good. The both have blemishes on them but I don't think any one era is better than any except the 60s.

mavsfan1000
10-04-2005, 11:35 PM
I like every decade except the 50's and the 00's. Rock and Roll was beginner rock. The music now isn't that good either. Every other decade I like some and dislike some. I just thought the 80's had some great memories for those lived through it and some great guitarists that other decades weren't quite have as much of.

MannyIsGod
10-04-2005, 11:40 PM
I perfer good songwriting over comlpexity for the sake of comlpexity. Solos that go nowhere within the song are a waste. But thats just my preference.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2005, 11:41 PM
But worthless solos are better than no solos, if those solos require a higher level of talent

if today's contemporary rock, or wahtever you wanna call it, incorporated more than just power chords and natural harmonics, i would like it better, just outta respect for the skill of the guitarist

MannyIsGod
10-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Solo's don't require a whole lot of talent, they require a whole lot of practice. Anyone can sit there and play scales all day and try to tap out 32nd notes. But can everyone write a Lover You Should've Come Over, Wonderwall, or Southern Man?

I think creative soloing is pretty awesome, but that wasn't what you saw in the 80s. The 80s was about fitting as many notes into one measure as possible then waving your blonde mass of hair around and around.

Give me the simplicty of half of Cat Power's material over the worthlessness of half of the hair band material.

mavsfan1000
10-04-2005, 11:49 PM
Solo's don't require a whole lot of talent, they require a whole lot of practice. Anyone can sit there and play scales all day and try to tap out 32nd notes. But can everyone write a Lover You Should've Come Over, Wonderwall, or Southern Man?

I think creative soloing is pretty awesome, but that wasn't what you saw in the 80s. The 80s was about fitting as many notes into one measure as possible then waving your blonde mass of hair around and around.

Give me the simplicty of half of Cat Power's material over the worthlessness of half of the hair band material.
:lmao at you saying there is no talent in guitar solos. Being creative is just as important and there was creativity in the 80's. You just haven't gotten into it enough to make judgements about that. There were some of those bands in the 80's that were all about flash just like there are some crappy bands in the 90's. There were also very good soloist like Satriani and I can name you more.

MannyIsGod
10-04-2005, 11:53 PM
:lmao at you saying there is no talent in guitar solos. Being creative is just as important and there was creativity in the 80's. You just haven't gotten into it enough to make judgements about that. There were some of those bands in the 80's that were all about flash just like there are some crappy bands in the 90's. There were also very good soloist like Satriani and I can name you more.
There is talent in guitar solos, but really anyone who sits there and practices scales all day will be a good soloist.

I just prefer songwriting.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Solo's don't require a whole lot of talent

It does take talent though, naturally talent takes practice to hone, but the common person can't play the common 80s solo or the common guitar solo, with the right inflection and groove etc

The 80's did have creative soloing, but there was a shitload of playing fast just for the sake of playing fast...

BUT i would rather have someone playing fast for the sake of playing fast than playing nothing but power chords and harmonics...hair band was gay, but i would rather listen to Whitesnake over A Simple Plan (Steve Vai......)

Because it does require a certain level of skill and speed. Far more than I eve could accomplish, and I played my guts out for a while back in the day. Everyone i've met that can play solos has been playing for quite a while.

I garuntee you the common guitar chode in Texas could not play a Steve Vai solo by just practicing it over and over for less than a month. And some of it requires god given talent, Duncan-style.

I was able to play some of the contemporary shit my gay ass neighbor has been playing for the past couple months the first week i picked up a guitar.

What excuse do today's musicians have for not utilizing notes? If they had better knowledge about what the guitar is capable of, even moderatley paced soloes can outdo the chord-swamped shit they play today

I have nothing against songs that dont include soloes, but bands that dont include solos just have bad guitarists (very few exceptions)
If they like chords thats what rhythm guitarists are for
lead guitar and solos give you an added dimension of creativity

MannyIsGod
10-05-2005, 12:01 AM
I agree, but man, A Simple Plan? :lol

I'll never be a great guitarist. I don't put the effort into learing and practicing technique.

mavsfan1000
10-05-2005, 12:02 AM
There is talent in guitar solos, but really anyone who sits there and practices scales all day will be a good soloist.

Yeah I like that to. The 80's was about having a good time while 90's songwriting is more melancholy and angry. I prefer the 80's style of songwriting also. Practicing scales all day doesn't make you a creative soloist. That part of it takes talent. Improvisation is all about talent because of written down solos are extremely hard and take along time to develop. I was able to play fast when I was a guitarist but had trouble being melodic like good guitarist are able to do.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-05-2005, 12:02 AM

I'll never be a great guitarist. I don't put the effort into learing and practicing technique.

I tried once but my knuckles got grossly swollen and I had to buy some psuedo-medicine supplement at GNC and take it for about 3 weeks before they went back to normal size

after that i stopped playign altogether and rarely bust out the guitar when im stoned or something

Good songwriting is a must-have too, but as far as rockbands go, not having a guitar solo??? that's what rock is all about!

midgetonadonkey
10-05-2005, 12:03 AM

I gotta agree with Manny on this one. There is nothing like great lyrics. I knew junkies that played great solos on guitars but they could barely even write. Making a great lyrical song takes a lot more talent than playing the guitar.

JoePublic
10-05-2005, 12:03 AM
Having played guitar since I was 7 I happen to think it takes great talent to be a great guitar soloist.
Carlos Santana still has some of the best guitar solos around and he doesn't "speed lick" but rather shows his mastery of scales as does Eric Clapton. But the 80's did showcase some great guitar playing.
There are also many song writers who don't even write music but just lyrics and vice versa. There are virtuosos in every musical instrument with different skills.
But good songwriting with great guitar work is the shit.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-05-2005, 12:04 AM

lol, steve vai himself would probably look at his project with whitesnake as the a simple plan of the 80's

samikeyp
10-05-2005, 12:09 AM

I am the same way but about the 80's. I agree with Manny about the stuff in the first half of the 90's being much better than the latter half, as well as his statement about the 60's and 70's. For every great 80's or 90's song, we can all come up with an equally crappy song. Its all subjective but its all great to listen to.

MannyIsGod
10-05-2005, 12:11 AM
But good songwriting with great guitar work is the shit.
Jimi, Anyone?

Cant_Be_Faded
10-05-2005, 12:13 AM
Anyone here listen to "Demons and Wizards" or "Blind Guardian" ?

They incorporate decent song writing with melodic rock and BAD ASS solos
I saw blind guardian at the backroom in austin on thanksgiving of 2002. My ears were ringing for 3 days straight, but it was worth it.

MannyIsGod
10-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Forgot about Tori Amos and Jeff Buckley. Sad.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-05-2005, 12:20 AM
90s - bjork, at the drive in, SMASHING PUMPKINS, ratm
80s- the cure, my winamp is playing the Tree Mix of "A Forest" :smokin
gotta love that song....The Cure owns

MannyIsGod
10-05-2005, 12:27 AM
Smashing Pumpkins. I do need to be shot.

At The Drive In was great too, but I'd rather listen to either Sparta or TMV.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-05-2005, 12:29 AM
SP is my favorite band of alllll time. I've converted like 2 or 3 people into SP fans once i played their non-single songs for them.

Really? I never liked Sparta. I do like some of TMV but never listened to them as much. Relationship of Command just seems like one of those perfect rock albums to me, with most songs totally bad ass, totally representative of what rock should be at that time....TMV seems good but i never hear them rock as hard as ATDI used to

"danciiiinnn onnnn the corpses ashes!"

batman2883
10-05-2005, 08:32 AM
I'd have to go with 80's, the era of depeche mode and the cure

CommanderMcBragg
10-05-2005, 09:12 AM
80's.

Ishta
10-05-2005, 09:40 AM
The 80's for me... I have my tickets for Depeche Mode already...New album out mid month..Can't wait

MsMcGillyCutty
10-05-2005, 10:27 AM
80's. I loved the guitar gods as much as Heather Locklear.

tlongII
10-05-2005, 12:50 PM
I can't choose one era over another. There is excellent music in all eras. What is more popular today, rap/hip-hop or hard rock? I'm guessing it's rap/hip-hop which is too bad as I don't really care for the genre'. I think there is some terrific hard rock that is being produced currently.

samikeyp
10-05-2005, 12:53 PM
tlong is wise.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Everyone is debating the best of the best from the respective decades, but what also needs to be taken into account is how much does the shittiest music from each decade detract? For instance how big a blow do the New Kids on the Block and REO Speedwagon deal to the 80's argument and how many points does Shaq's rapping attempts take away from the 90's?

I think it's a little too early to settle this question. By now you can tell whether or not some of the stuff from the 80's had staying power, but the jury is still out on the 90's.

Low End Specialist
10-05-2005, 01:21 PM
The 90s music for me. Red Hot Chili Peppers are pretty much my favorite band from the 90s.

JoeChalupa
10-05-2005, 01:37 PM
Everyone is debating the best of the best from the respective decades, but what also needs to be taken into account is how much does the shittiest music from each decade detract? For instance how big a blow do the New Kids on the Block and REO Speedwagon deal to the 80's argument and how many points does Shaq's rapping attempts take away from the 90's?

I think it's a little too early to settle this question. By now you can tell whether or not some of the stuff from the 80's had staying power, but the jury is still out on the 90's.

Huh? REO Speedwagon jammed. I saw them several times and they put on a great show. But as most bands their later stuff wasn't as good as their earlier music. Golden Country, Riding the Storm Out, Roll with Changes...they were a great band.

MiNuS
10-05-2005, 01:37 PM

I think it's a little too early to settle this question. By now you can tell whether or not some of the stuff from the 80's had staying power, but the jury is still out on the 90's.90's grunge movement,rap,and R&b dancing music messed it up for me.

I still like Creed,Seal.

I can't really say I liked C&C Factory,Hootie & the Blowfish. I really don't remember much of the 90's music. I was more into the 90's Spanish Rock and pop.

I started liking the techno music of the late 90's/early 00's and started listening to more 80's music and older artists like Metallica,Duran Duran,Seal.

I can't say I like today's music. Its very "pop/bubble gum" it's too fabricated,there's too much rap and now reggetton.

batman2883
10-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Creed sucks ass!!! with a vengence

JoeChalupa
10-05-2005, 01:41 PM
I liked Creed and Hootie and the Blowfish.

Music is like women. One man's symphony is another man's musical nightmare.

There is always great music being played but not everyone is going think it is great music. Some people can't stand Bob Dylan where as I love his beatnik music.

I think the Doors were great where some think they sucked.

Jimcs50
10-05-2005, 01:42 PM
I like music in every era.

MiNuS
10-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Creed sucks ass!!! with a vengence
what about Creed don't you like? Stapps voice,the lyrics,the message.
What?

JoeChalupa
10-05-2005, 01:43 PM
I like music in every era.

I concur.

MannyIsGod
10-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Creed was great on their first album. Then well, they sucked.

JoeChalupa
10-05-2005, 01:45 PM
That happens to quite a few bands.

MiNuS
10-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Creed was great on their first album. Then well, they sucked.
Matter of opinion.

Human Clay sold more copies than My own Prison.

Weathered did blow but I still liked it.

batman2883
10-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Nah i just dont like the way the dude sings, his voice is awful, it sounds like he has something in his throat..

samikeyp
10-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Never been a huge fan of Creed either.

SWC Bonfire
10-05-2005, 02:15 PM
I would rather listen to Faith +1.

http://qcom.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pG01-1469903dt.jpg

MannyIsGod
10-05-2005, 02:19 PM
Matter of opinion.

Human Clay sold more copies than My own Prison.

Weathered did blow but I still liked it.
It is a matter of opinion.

I never guage a record's sales figures as an accurate measure of how good it is.

rr2418
10-05-2005, 02:32 PM
I would have to say the music in the 80's was better than the 90's. But it all depends on what type of music you grew up with. I liked the disco era, b/c those were my highschool days. But I also like classic rock. When the 80's came around, I didn't care for the "new wave" music b/c it replaced disco. But the music grew on me. I remember coming home from partying and still catching about 1/2 hour of "Night Tracks" on TBS. Remember that program!!! Alot of those bands made it big over night, b/c of NTs. Alot of the music in the 80's, I picture the video that went with it. Later on I found out I liked some different kinds of music, like jazz, and new age. I think my favorite time would have to be the 70's. Groups like Chicago, Santana, Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan, Rare Earth, Boston, Deep Purple, Styx, to name a few, those were some of my fav bands.

JoeChalupa
10-05-2005, 02:39 PM
I would have to say the music in the 80's was better than the 90's. But it all depends on what type of music you grew up with. I liked the disco era, b/c those were my highschool days. But I also like classic rock. When the 80's came around, I didn't care for the "new wave" music b/c it replaced disco. But the music grew on me. I remember coming home from partying and still catching about 1/2 hour of "Night Tracks" on TBS. Remember that program!!! Alot of those bands made it big over night, b/c of NTs. Alot of the music in the 80's, I picture the video that went with it. Later on I found out I liked some different kinds of music, like jazz, and new age. I think my favorite time would have to be the 70's. Groups like Chicago, Santana, Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan, Rare Earth, Boston, Deep Purple, Styx, to name a few, those were some of my fav bands.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The 70's were if for me too.

Remember Don Kirshner's Rock Concert?

I remember the Eagles, Stones, Harry Chapin, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, Rare Earth, Leon Redbone, Rush, REO Speedwagon, Rufus Thomas, Earth/Wind/& Fire, ELO, Kansas, Ike and Tina Turner, Jim Croce, Uriah Heep, Bad Company, Def Leppard, Foghat, Joe Walsh, Johnny Winter, Steppenwolf, Kiss, Boston, Lou Reed, and a ton of others. yes.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-10-2005, 01:32 AM
The Mars Volta definetly does rock.

My kid sister got me Deloused today. I've been listening to it off and on for hte past 8 hours.

I have to say my favorite track is number 7, the CD definitely does fucking rock, and I have no idea why they released the weakest track, Televators, as a single.

It's weak in the sense that every other track is much better.

It's like the Gilmore Girls of the WB lineup.

bull62400
10-10-2005, 02:33 PM
The 90's had rap and grundge, the 80's had homos with make-up and big hair. I like the 90's

baseline bum
10-10-2005, 02:38 PM
80s hip-hop blows away 90s hip-hop. NWA had Cube back then, Public Enemy released their 2 best albums, Rakim and Ice T had their best stuff, Ultramagnetic dropped critical beatdown, Run DMC, DOC's album, etc.

Shelly
10-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Ice-T's wife scares me.

Dos
10-10-2005, 03:38 PM
90's music was better.... IMO

Spurminator
10-10-2005, 03:47 PM
I think 90's music just has more staying power... In other words, I think more of it will appeal to people in the future who didn't live through that decade. A lot of the appeal of 80's music is nostalgic, IMO... It is for me, anyway... I grew up with a lot of that music. But to people who didn't, I don't think it has aged as well.

But as with all art, it all depends on perspective, which is why there isn't really a better/worse, good/bad.

Unless we're talking about the late Nineties, where it was all teen pop and Limp Bizkit clones. Those years sucked balls.

gameFACE
10-10-2005, 10:44 PM
I'd have to say 80's underground music. It was what became 90's bourgeois. "Alternative" music in the 90's wasn't really alternative to anything but itself.

mavsfan1000
10-10-2005, 11:59 PM
80's music quality is way ahead of the 90's. The 90's music is a little boring. They hardly ever had any solos and the music was depressing. I don't see that as staying power. I didn't grow up in the 80's but love it more than the 90's despite that. I didn't get the makeup part but I really liked the music.

symple19
01-17-2014, 03:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4PN7Xbexq4

symple19
01-17-2014, 03:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evA-R9OS-Vo