PDA

View Full Version : Is there a free electic car plug in anywhere near you?

Fabbs
08-03-2016, 09:15 AM
Slowly but surely more are popping up. Some malls, some job sites, even some apartment complex's have installed free EV charging stations.
Any near you?

Chevy dealerships definitely cost themselves a sale with me. I offered them one last time to find a plug in and they knew of none. Turns out there is one 3 miles from my abode at a mall.

Toyota really pissed me off with their bait and switch attempt on the 2017 Prius plug in. They floated all year long that it would go 80 miles on a plug before switching over to gas. Now they say oh woops 22 miles, check back with us later. Asstards.

The new 2017 Tesla for 35K or so sounds great. 180 miles on a plug. But I'm not plopping down a grand and waiting a year. Maybe in late 2017 or early 2018. Also there will be some great deals on slightly used Teslas as a few people will bail on the new ones for one reason or another.

SpursforSix
08-03-2016, 09:38 AM
I've only seen 1 and it's at a sports park about 1 hour away in Plano.

Chinook
08-03-2016, 09:43 AM
Is it so bad to pay for electricity?

Anyway, I see plugs in parking lots all around West Austin. But since I don't have an electric car, I can't tell you if it's free or not.

Fabbs
08-03-2016, 09:49 AM
Is it so bad to pay for electricity?

Anyway, I see plugs in parking lots all around West Austin. But since I don't have an electric car, I can't tell you if it's free or not.
Depending on the cost, it can negate the $$ saved by using electric.
Free plug in is the no brainer $$.
Example Volt get 109 miles per gallon to the average regular driving routes when elec and gas are combined.
That can seriously lower your gasoline bill.
If one has access to free plug in plus does not have to go over 50 miles, you could have your gas bill be damn near zero. Regardless of 50 mile limit or not, your gas bill is going seriously down if you have access to free plug in.

If you plug in at your house, it all depends on what your local Scam Power company gouges. Most places electrical rates go down at night.

Xevious
08-03-2016, 09:51 AM
I see plugs at Wholefoods... but also don't know if it's free.

Out of curiosity, what do places charge to plug your car in?

SpursforSix
08-03-2016, 09:59 AM
Most cars nowadays have a USB outlet. Some even a standard plugin. Couldn't one just use an adapter and charge directly through the car itself?

leemajors
08-03-2016, 10:07 AM
They have them at the Mueller HEB, a few miles from my house in Austin

Chinook
08-03-2016, 10:12 AM
Depending on the cost, it can negate the $$ saved by using electric.
Free plug in is the no brainer $$.
Example Volt get 109 miles per gallon to the average regular driving routes when elec and gas are combined.
That can seriously lower your gasoline bill.
If one has access to free plug in plus does not have to go over 50 miles, you could have your gas bill be damn near zero. Regardless of 50 mile limit or not, your gas bill is going seriously down if you have access to free plug in.

If you plug in at your house, it all depends on what your local Scam Power company gouges. Most places electrical rates go down at night.

Yeah, but that just seems like complaining about not getting free shit. It's certainly cool to have any of those stations, but it doesn't feel right to expect other people to pay for you to get around.

SpursforSix
08-03-2016, 10:21 AM
Yeah, but that just seems like complaining about not getting free shit. It's certainly cool to have any of those stations, but it doesn't feel right to expect other people to pay for you to get around.

I'm not sure that the OP was necessarily griping about not having a free plug in. Seems like his main complaint is that his car doesn't go as far as they say and they can't show him where there are any plugins (free or otherwise) to recharge so that he can even drive as needed. Although I may be wrong.

I agree with you that it doesn't make sense to complain about not getting free electricity. Unless the dealership actually told him there are plenty of free places around. Which does sound like something a salesman might say.

Wild Cobra
08-03-2016, 10:30 AM
There are several plug in locations in the Portland Oregon area. I don't think they are free though. I think you use a credit card.

Interesting. Google maps only has a few listed. There are more that I have seen in several locations that "maps" doesn't show.

Chinook
08-03-2016, 10:31 AM
I'm not sure that the OP was necessarily griping about not having a free plug in. Seems like his main complaint is that his car doesn't go as far as they say and they can't show him where there are any plugins (free or otherwise) to recharge so that he can even drive as needed. Although I may be wrong.

I agree with you that it doesn't make sense to complain about not getting free electricity. Unless the dealership actually told him there are plenty of free places around. Which does sound like something a salesman might say.

Fabbs' gripe is definitely not a simple as not having free electricity. But I'm just wondering how that's even on the table. If that's going to be a real thing (free charge stations), it definitely affects my upcoming car search.

Chinook
08-03-2016, 10:32 AM
Interesting. Google maps only has a few listed. There are more that I have seen in several locations that "maps" doesn't show.

Those extra ones are probably mimics. I'd steer clear of them.

Wild Cobra
08-03-2016, 10:35 AM
Those extra ones are probably mimics. I'd steer clear of them.

Mimics?

LOL...

Do you expect google maps to always be up to date?

They are so behind on anything not paid to be advertised through them.

SpursforSix
08-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Fabbs' gripe is definitely not a simple as not having free electricity. But I'm just wondering how that's even on the table. If that's going to be a real thing (free charge stations), it definitely affects my upcoming car search.

I haven't done much research on it but who ultimately pays for that? I assume if it's at a park or something, it falls on the city/taxpayers. If it's at an HEB, does the store pay for that? Or do they get some kind of tax credit if they provide the outlet. I guess even if the store pays for it, it's good for them if it draws in more consumers.

SpursforSix
08-03-2016, 10:39 AM
Mimics?

LOL...

Do you know if you can recharge at a Pokemon station?

Chinook
08-03-2016, 10:47 AM
Mimics?

LOL...

See, people tried the same thing with treasure chests. And it didn't work out well for them:

https://67.media.tumblr.com/e92b909381b1a6060a52def02b94e247/tumblr_nkccapfWXD1suvo9xo1_500.gif

Chinook
08-03-2016, 11:01 AM
I haven't done much research on it but who ultimately pays for that? I assume if it's at a park or something, it falls on the city/taxpayers. If it's at an HEB, does the store pay for that? Or do they get some kind of tax credit if they provide the outlet. I guess even if the store pays for it, it's good for them if it draws in more consumers.

That's definitely the question. It's probably cheap enough to do that right now. But I doubt that's sustainable.

leemajors
08-03-2016, 11:08 AM

they probably get some sort of break for having them. I know if you have a Car2Go parking spot for your business in Austin it counts as 20 "regular" parking spots.

Fabbs
08-03-2016, 11:31 AM
Here is some insider info. Use it wisely please. :lol
http://voltacharging.com/

leemajors ^^

Fabbs
08-03-2016, 11:36 AM
I see plugs at Wholefoods... but also don't know if it's free.

Out of curiosity, what do places charge to plug your car in?
Wholefoods has some hot babes doing the *organic* shopping thing. Use it as an icebreaker if you see one of them using it. If applicable and you're single.
Plus it usually says the cost right on the charging station, somewhere.

The price really jumps around. Wholefoods and other stores/malls often times it's free. They are assuming you will shop there and they will make it up, plus they get a huge tax break (at least in Calif). See above link for a joint that is currently doing it for free at no cost to the mall. How long that will last, who knows.

SpursforSix
08-03-2016, 11:44 AM
That's definitely the question. It's probably cheap enough to do that right now. But I doubt that's sustainable.

I'm not sure how this gets us away from fossil fuels in the long run. Seems like it would just shift demand from oil to natural gas. I guess natural gas is cleaner and it would lower our reliance on the Middle East. But at the same time it would dictate that more natural gas wells (and associated fracking) be drilled.

SpursforSix
08-03-2016, 11:45 AM
they probably get some sort of break for having them. I know if you have a Car2Go parking spot for your business in Austin it counts as 20 "regular" parking spots.

what do you mean? that it counts for 20 regular spots.

Avante
08-03-2016, 11:48 AM
When people who work in the oil business start losing their jobs over this, watch what happens.

A city like Bakersfield without the oil business, ouch~~~~~~~ Gas stations start losing customers, ouch~

leemajors
08-03-2016, 12:12 PM
what do you mean? that it counts for 20 regular spots.

Bars and other establishments are required to have a certain amount of parking spots available based on capacity. They can get around that with car2go spots, but I don't know what the other ways around it are.

mrsmaalox
08-03-2016, 12:19 PM
As I recall reading recently, some states give tax incentives for them but it didn't seem like much----a rebate of a small percentage of the cost to install the equipment. Retailers are starting to get on board with it; I know here in SA all Kohl's, Lowe's and most Walgreens provide them free of charge. There are probably lots more.

leemajors
08-03-2016, 12:38 PM
As I recall reading recently, some states give tax incentives for them but it didn't seem like much----a rebate of a small percentage of the cost to install the equipment. Retailers are starting to get on board with it; I know here in SA all Kohl's, Lowe's and most Walgreens provide them free of charge. There are probably lots more.

It probably costs them next to nothing, I never see them being used.

koriwhat
08-03-2016, 02:10 PM
Most cars nowadays have a USB outlet. Some even a standard plugin. Couldn't one just use an adapter and charge directly through the car itself?

Usb is 5v i believe. That would take an eternity.

SpursforSix
08-03-2016, 02:14 PM
Usb is 5v i believe. That would take an eternity.

It'd have an adapter to make it more.

DJR210
08-03-2016, 02:17 PM
Only faggots drive electric cars :lol Move to San Francisco

Avante
08-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Only faggots drive electric cars :lol Move to San Francisco

Dude, do you think at all before posting? Calling people you don't know anything about a faggot because they might drive an electric car? Fuck you asshole.

koriwhat
08-03-2016, 03:07 PM
It'd have an adapter to make it more.

so a stepup transformer... not gonna happen. you'd have another plug and not usb.

koriwhat
08-03-2016, 03:09 PM
here's my electric bmw i8 hybrid... 6-volts baby!

http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/image/Target/15609447?wid=450&hei=450&fmt=pjpeg

SpursforSix
08-03-2016, 03:10 PM
so a stepup transformer... not gonna happen. you'd have another plug and not usb.

A lot of cars now feature a standard plug in. So all you need is an adapter to plug your car into that.

leemajors
08-03-2016, 03:44 PM
A lot of cars now feature a standard plug in. So all you need is an adapter to plug your car into that.

isn't there already a beats adapter for that?

DJR210
08-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Dude, do you think at all before posting? Calling people you don't know anything about a faggot because they might drive an electric car? Fuck you asshole.

You drive a fucking beat up white van, why are you even in here humping legs?

Avante
08-03-2016, 04:20 PM

There ya go AGAIN telling lies. I have never owned a van.

When ya say shit like.....everyone who drives an electric car must be a fag.....that says it all about you ya little shit.

SpursforSix
08-03-2016, 04:38 PM

While Beats is primarily focused on audio, I'm pretty sure that technology is embedded in their products and would just require some reverse engineering. But that's beyond me.

08-03-2016, 06:37 PM
:lol

08-03-2016, 06:38 PM
:lmao

Xevious
08-03-2016, 10:11 PM
It probably costs them next to nothing, I never see them being used.

That's because everybody in Texas drives a gas guzzler, myself included.

Spur|n|Austin
08-03-2016, 11:23 PM
Yup, we have one in our office parking garage. Employees only though.

MultiTroll
08-04-2016, 08:26 AM
Yup, we have one in our office parking garage. Employees only though.
There ya go.
Next q will be how fast does it charge.
The aforementioned Volta charging stations are currently using 30 AMPs. Much slower then I would like.
Here is a good overview, altho this is a way old article in 2011. Still it gives the basics.
http://www.pluginamerica.org/drivers-seat/understanding-electric-vehicle-charging

As you can see, as far back as 2011 a "DC fast charging" plug in with ave 40 miles worth of driving delivered in only 10 minutes, that kicks ass.

MultiTroll
08-04-2016, 08:34 AM
It is going to continue to grow.
Now as to how fast the delivery of upcoming public charging stations free (or for that matter pay) will be, I don't yet know.

MultiTroll
08-04-2016, 08:39 AM
The Oil Pigs passing on their tax break savings to us? :lol These stats are from 2011:

"Taxpayer subsidies for oil far exceed those for electric cars. Since 1973, the US has spent about $90 billion per year to secure foreign oil fields and oil routes. That's over $1 per gallon. That doesn't count our oil-motivated wars in the middle east, tax breaks to oil companies, or the healthcare costs associated with burning oil and the urban air pollution it causes."

So if the Gov't is now offering some incentives for electric plug in, so be it.
The malls and shops who offer free plug in I'm sure make their money back 10 fold. Plus like with the Volta Charging arrangement, the malls don't even pay for the farking charging unit.

xXx
08-04-2016, 08:46 AM
Try the bonham you queer...lol.

MultiTroll
08-04-2016, 08:47 AM
No, I'm fried because I was considering buying a Volt and thus asked two Chevy dealers if they knew of free public plug ins anywhere's near my pad. They both said no idea. Turns out there is that Volta one 3 miles from my house. I found that out myself after I told Chevy no and bought another car. Sure, I could of and should have done my own homework/detective work. But I mean, wouldn't you expect a farking Chevy dealership to know this? For that matter the local Toyota dealerships did not know either. Nissan Leaf currently has one of the farthest miles per charge (100) but I don't want all electric, I want gas backup.

DJR210
08-04-2016, 09:28 AM
There ya go AGAIN telling lies. I have never owned a van.

When ya say shit like.....everyone who drives an electric car must be a fag.....that says it all about you ya little shit.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_meg5hxwE6T1r2lm6yo1_500.jpg

DMC
08-04-2016, 12:43 PM
I guess if you're broke as fuck all the time and 20 dollars means the difference between ramen and actual food, sure. Otherwise, it's a fad right now. Eventually it will be better but I stay as far away from that shit as possible now. "oh I got a free recharge and went 30 miles and saved 2.13 in gas today"

SpursforSix
08-04-2016, 12:55 PM
I guess if you're broke as fuck all the time and 20 dollars means the difference between ramen and actual food, sure. Otherwise, it's a fad right now. Eventually it will be better but I stay as far away from that shit as possible now. "oh I got a free recharge and went 30 miles and saved 2.13 in gas today"

you forgot to mention that you also did your part for the environment.

DMC
08-04-2016, 01:40 PM
you forgot to mention that you also did your part for the environment.
Yeah there is that little delusional reinforcement.

koriwhat
08-04-2016, 04:51 PM

hope this fad lasts and oil goes the wayside. fuck these corporate pigs ruining this country, our pockets, and generations to come.

DPG21920
08-04-2016, 05:24 PM
here's my electric bmw i8 hybrid... 6-volts baby!

http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/image/Target/15609447?wid=450&hei=450&fmt=pjpeg

I actually saw the real version of this in Austin and it was draw-joppingly beautiful.

koriwhat
08-04-2016, 08:22 PM
I actually saw the real version of this in Austin and it was draw-joppingly beautiful.

i'm sure. i saw that audi i-whatever back in san marcos yrs ago and it was a beaut too; smaller than i imagined but still a nice car. wish i could afford either but whatever; i paid my car off right when i bought it so no car payments for me.

SpursforSix
08-04-2016, 08:30 PM
hope this fad lasts and oil goes the wayside. fuck these corporate pigs ruining this country, our pockets, and generations to come.

Those will be the same corporate pigs running the natural gas industry. Or electric industry or whatever. Boots gets that part right.

Xevious
08-04-2016, 11:53 PM
People who are broke don't buy electric cars. Yuppies who think they are saving the environment buy them. I see no financial benefit in buying one at this point for average families.

MultiTroll
08-05-2016, 12:05 AM
I see no financial benefit in buying one at this point for average families.
1. Virtually free Ford Focus electric
http://leasehackr.com/blog/2016/3/27/californians-lease-a-ford-focus-electric-for-free

2. Ditto Chevy Spark
http://leasehackr.com/blog/2016/4/22/californians-lease-a-chevy-spark-ev-for-free

All kinds of other deals including gas guzzling trucks.

DMC
08-05-2016, 12:07 AM
People who are broke don't buy electric cars. Yuppies who think they are saving the environment buy them. I see no financial benefit in buying one at this point for average families.
It's assumed you have one already if you're looking for a free charge.

MultiTroll
08-05-2016, 12:17 AM
It's assumed you have one already if you're looking for a free charge.
People who make a million bucks a year and drive Teslas sometimes want to know where a free charging station is.
:lol You haven't been around too many millionaires, have you.

xXx
08-05-2016, 07:11 AM
Lol. I think Avantes son drives an electric car...

xXx
08-05-2016, 07:14 AM
Money don't make you less of a queer...

xXx
08-05-2016, 07:15 AM
And it's funny is all...lighten up francis.

Fabbs
08-18-2016, 05:49 PM
We'll see if VW actually delivers.
I listened to Toyota promise an 80 mile range Prius available in late Oct 2016 and they have since flaked on that and said Oops 22 miles, maybe the 2018 model.

VW will make Tesla sweat with 300-mile EV prototype at Paris show
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/08/17/vw-300-mile-ev-paris-auto-show-report/

Fabbs
08-30-2016, 09:50 AM
Guy who follows the miles per gallon / alt fuel scene says it's possible the Global Oil Pigs were behind the China blow up.
Volks cars said to be the hydrogen ones.

http://www.ibtimes.com/

SpursforSix
08-30-2016, 09:55 AM
Guy who follows the miles per gallon / alt fuel scene says it's possible the Global Oil Pigs were behind the China blow up.
Volks cars said to be the hydrogen ones.

http://www.ibtimes.com/

I had heard on a podcast that the U.S. shot a satellite based projection at them. Not sure if it was the same time as this or not.