PDA

View Full Version : Gunning for that #15 spot - pick your guy

rastaspur
08-05-2016, 04:38 PM
So the current known options are forbes, arci, garino and lets throw bonner in there too for shits and giggles.

I think galino is going to win out. My second choice is forbes.

Discuss.....

SpursforSix
08-05-2016, 04:41 PM
:pop: Only one of those has pictures of my privates.

kaji157
08-05-2016, 04:45 PM
I think Garino makes the most sense as he is the one that would fit an immediate void in our lineup, a traditional backup SF.

Right now the SG and SF spot are covered with over 50 million in salaries. Tony, Patty, Danny, Manu, Murray and Simmons.

At SF we currently only have Kawhi. Anderson seems like a situational player and not a classic 3, Bertans is a questionmark for the legue and that backup 3 is the only "rotation" spot that is up for grabs.

Obstructed_View
08-05-2016, 04:51 PM
Garino for sure.

SAGirl
08-05-2016, 05:08 PM
Huge caveat: I haven't watched him, but by reputation Garino. If he disappoints then Forbes.

Why am I saying Garino if I haven't watched him? Because I believe Pop is still looking for better perimeter defense. Manu can no longer be the best perimeter defender in the bench and JSimms is really not it either. I don't know if Garino is it, but he's worth a look-see.

I really liked Forbes though and if Garino is not all he's cracked up to be I will be satisfied if he's the 15th guy.

SpurPadre
08-05-2016, 05:09 PM
Thomas Robinson or Garino

r0drig0lac
08-05-2016, 05:13 PM
Garino

Diego20
08-05-2016, 05:41 PM
Fernet y Dulce de Leche Garino.

wildbill2u
08-05-2016, 06:02 PM
Who are the supposedly 'sure thing' 14? The roster is getting so large with possibles I need a program to keep all the names straight.

RD2191
08-05-2016, 06:11 PM
Deez Nutz.

honestfool84
08-05-2016, 06:12 PM
It's a tossup for me between Garino or Kawhi

rastaspur
08-05-2016, 06:22 PM
Deez Nutz.

What position? Power bottom?

tonight...you
08-05-2016, 06:23 PM
Just tell 'em it was Draymond's and you were hacked.
The whole, but the penis was white! thing you can pass off to Photoshop.

RD2191
08-05-2016, 06:26 PM
What position? Power bottom?

High Center.

tonight...you
08-05-2016, 06:28 PM
High Center.
But with a low center of gravity. Trust me...

rastaspur
08-05-2016, 06:52 PM
High center. That would pretty much sum up my intramural basketball career. Doubt i ever played a sober game.

In the championship game one year i showed up after hours of consuming nitrous. Worst game of basketball played by anyone ever. Two teammates tried to fight me in the game. It was a circus. After being so embarassed i never touched that shit again.

Drom John
08-05-2016, 07:09 PM
Archidiacano.
Best defensive PG on the team.

pad300
08-05-2016, 07:10 PM
Who are the supposedly 'sure thing' 14? The roster is getting so large with possibles I need a program to keep all the names straight.
Sure thing 14 - all have fully guaranteed contracts:

Parker, Mills, Dejounte Murray
Green, Manu, Simmons
Kawhi, Bertrans
Aldridge, Anderson, Jean-Charles,
Gasol, Dedmon, Lee

with regards to the 15th spot, I think Garino is most likely, then Forbes...

Bartleby
08-05-2016, 08:20 PM
Yeah, probably Garino. Poor man's Nocioni?

dabom
08-05-2016, 08:21 PM

I laugh every time. :lol

Spur|n|Austin
08-05-2016, 08:30 PM
High center. That would pretty much sum up my intramural basketball career. Doubt i ever played a sober game.

In the championship game one year i showed up after hours of consuming nitrous. Worst game of basketball played by anyone ever. Two teammates tried to fight me in the game. It was a circus. After being so embarassed i never touched that shit again.

Wow that's really cool

BOHOLANO#21
08-05-2016, 08:53 PM
Garino

SPURt
08-05-2016, 08:59 PM
High Center.
I'm not sure Larry Sanders fits the team chemistry.

spurs10
08-05-2016, 09:00 PM
Who is the 13/ 14/ & 15. I'd say Bertans is going to make the roster at 12. Is Murray a shoe in at 13. LJC at 14? With Bertans saying he was told he'd be playing at the 4 I think that position is covered. I do think we need Garino at at the 3. Also need another 5 I'm thinking.

tonight...you
08-05-2016, 09:06 PM

Lol... doing whippets before a game.
God bless you. Should have crushed up some ephedrine (while it was for sale) and snorted it. You would have been Hulking up by the start of the 2nd quarter.
Of course, you'd have been turning into a tired Banner by the 4th...

Sean Cagney
08-05-2016, 10:27 PM
It's the Spurs, it will be Bonner... Whether we like it or not.

RD2191
08-05-2016, 10:42 PM
I'm not sure Larry Sanders fits the team chemistry.

:lol Didn't he like retire to smoke weed and what not?

tmtcsc
08-05-2016, 11:25 PM
LJC has no business on this team. Forbes and the Argie should both make the team.

spurtech09
08-05-2016, 11:29 PM
Thomas Robinson or Garinoagree

TheGreatYacht
08-06-2016, 05:58 AM
We don't need Garino, he looks fat and we already have 3 small forwards.

Gasol/Dedmon/???
Aldridge/Lee/Jean-Charles
Leonard/Bertans/Anderson
Green/Ginobili/Simmons
Parker/Mills/Murray

We need a C/PF. My guess would be Jason Thompson or Thomas Robinson

SPURt
08-06-2016, 08:00 AM
:lol Didn't he like retire to smoke weed and what not?
I thought that was what you meant by "high" center lol?

rastaspur
08-06-2016, 09:36 AM
Lol... doing whippets before a game.
God bless you. Should have crushed up some ephedrine (while it was for sale) and snorted it. You would have been Hulking up by the start of the 2nd quarter.
Of course, you'd have been turning into a tired Banner by the 4th...

I had a nitrous oxide tank. My retarded friend stole it and asked to hide it at my place. Big mistake.

rastaspur
08-06-2016, 09:51 AM
Wow that's really cool

Not really. Let my teamates down and lost the game. I was the go to guy on that team and played like crap. I had a problem in college and was just too wild.

Thank goodness i grew out of that. It is a cautionary tale really and i saw the writing on the wall.

RD2191
08-06-2016, 10:11 AM
I thought that was what you meant by "high" center lol?
Ugh yeah, yeah, that's what I meant.

Pocho La Pantera
08-06-2016, 12:54 PM
Garino

Tully365
08-06-2016, 03:05 PM
Guess I'd pick Garino, and looking forward to seeing Arcidiacono & Forbes get lots of minutes together as a back court in Austin.

Chinook
08-06-2016, 03:25 PM
Player-fanning for the 15th spot? New low, tbh.

Chinook
08-06-2016, 03:27 PM
Do wonder who the last two players are going to be. With the assumption that the Spurs are intending to use their Toros slots on the three they have, they can either re-sign players whose d-league rights they already down (like DeShaun Thomas) or vets in the Butler mode.

Kawhitstorm
08-06-2016, 03:32 PM
We don't need Garino, he looks fat and we already have 3 small forwards.

Gasol/Dedmon/???
Aldridge/Lee/Jean-Charles
Leonard/Bertans/Anderson
Green/Ginobili/Simmons
Parker/Mills/Murray

We need a C/PF. My guess would be Jason Thompson or Thomas Robinson

As long as it ISN"T Bonner....

dabom
08-06-2016, 03:52 PM

Forbes :lmao

wildbill2u
08-06-2016, 04:18 PM
Thanks. NOt sure Jean Charles is worth a fully guaranteed contract. Were they worried someone else would chase him?

Oh well, the organization pays scouts, coaches and executives millions of dollars a year to evaluate and make these decisions.

Chinook
08-06-2016, 08:24 PM
Thanks. NOt sure Jean Charles is worth a fully guaranteed contract. Were they worried someone else would chase him?

Oh well, the organization pays scouts, coaches and executives millions of dollars a year to evaluate and make these decisions.

They didn't have a choice. He's a first-round pick.

SAGirl
08-06-2016, 08:40 PM
I don't think there can be any lower than player fanning for Jimmer last season :lmao

SAGirl
08-06-2016, 08:47 PM
Do wonder who the last two players are going to be. With the assumption that the Spurs are intending to use their Toros slots on the three they have, they can either re-sign players whose d-league rights they already down (like DeShaun Thomas) or vets in the Butler mode.

It's hard to say, Butler was signed on the very eve of the preseason or something like that. Spurs can still surprise us with someone else. I don't expect Thomas though. I knew he was in summer league and didn't particularly stand out, but upon you wondering about him I did a quick google search and found out he's signing in Turkey.
http://wane.com/2016/07/12/report-deshaun-thomas-negotiating-deal-to-play-in-turkey/
(http://wane.com/2016/07/12/report-deshaun-thomas-negotiating-deal-to-play-in-turkey/)
Thomas told WANE-TV on Wednesday that he’s looking to sign a one-year deal with an option for a second season. He also says the contract will have NBA outs that allow him to return to the states if an NBA team offers an opportunity.

Thomas just finished playing for the Charlotte Hornets in NBA’s Orlando Summer League. He’s currently working out back in Columbus where he starred for the Buckeyes.
Last season Thomas played for the San Antonio Spurs NBADL team, averaging 14.7 points a game for the Austin Spurs.

spurs10
08-07-2016, 12:44 AM
They didn't have a choice. He's a first-round pick. Just for clarity Murray and LJC are first round picks so they are on the roster. With Simmons this is 11, 12, and 13 with Bertans looking solid for the 14th spot. Correct?

BackHome
08-07-2016, 11:04 AM
Garino is the pick so we finally have a solid backup for Kawhi who can also play SG if needed.

Murray I think will be 50/50 D-League and moved up to Spurs

Livio will be 100% in D-League he needs a lot of work

SURGE
08-07-2016, 05:32 PM
Thomas Robinson

spurs10
08-07-2016, 09:21 PM
Garino is the pick so we finally have a solid backup for Kawhi who can also play SG if needed.

Murray I think will be 50/50 D-League and moved up to Spurs

Livio will be 100% in D-League he needs a lot of work So LJC, who is a first round pick with a guaranteed salary, can be sent to Austin and not take up a roster spot on the Spurs? I've heard a lot of conflicting stories regarding this.

LittleCriminal
08-07-2016, 09:47 PM
Keith Bogans?? Anyone??

Chinook
08-07-2016, 10:16 PM
Just for clarity Murray and LJC are first round picks so they are on the roster. With Simmons this is 11, 12, and 13 with Bertans looking solid for the 14th spot. Correct?

I mean, there are 14 guaranteed contract, which is why we're considering that last spot as the "15th man". But depending on who gets that spot, their actual place in the rotation could be very different.

So LJC, who is a first round pick with a guaranteed salary, can be sent to Austin and not take up a roster spot on the Spurs? I've heard a lot of conflicting stories regarding this.

No. He takes up a roster spot no matter what. As much as people constantly bitch about him, he's a Spurs for the next year (and probably two, three and four). Nothing in camp or no assignment to Austin will affect his roster spot.

spurs10
08-08-2016, 12:21 AM
I mean, there are 14 guaranteed contract, which is why we're considering that last spot as the "15th man". But depending on who gets that spot, their actual place in the rotation could be very different.

No. He takes up a roster spot no matter what. As much as people constantly bitch about him, he's a Spurs for the next year (and probably two, three and four). Nothing in camp or no assignment to Austin will affect his roster spot. Thanks Chinook! I thought that was right and obviously his playing time will depend on his development. Several people have spoken about him as if he is on our D-team in Austin. Though he and others might spend plenty of time there, he's a Spur.

ginobilized
08-10-2016, 09:53 AM
Bye bye Bonner

My money is on Garino with Forbes as the dark horse

BillMc
08-10-2016, 11:54 AM
LJC has no business on this team. Forbes and the Argie should both make the team.

BillMc
08-10-2016, 11:56 AM
I don't think there can be any lower than player fanning for Jimmer last season :lmao

:lol Yeah, that Jimmer thread was ridiculous.

mo7888
08-10-2016, 12:24 PM
Trade Simmons to Brooklyn or Philly to free up a spot then take Garino and either Forbes or Robinson... depending if they think LVC can give us what Robinson would on the board and defensively at the 4 spot.

sasaint
08-10-2016, 02:15 PM
Trade Simmons to Brooklyn or Philly to free up a spot then take Garino and either Forbes or Robinson... depending if they think LVC can give us what Robinson would on the board and defensively at the 4 spot.

Trading Simmons by himself probably would not net us anything in return. It really would have the sole effect of clearing a roster spot. If we were to move him, I'd like to see us package him with another asset and actually get something in return. I think Simmons has some value, but as much as I have cheered for him, I think he is probably doomed on the Spurs.

mo7888
08-10-2016, 02:47 PM
Trading Simmons by himself probably would not net us anything in return. It really would have the sole effect of clearing a roster spot. If we were to move him, I'd like to see us package him with another asset and actually get something in return. I think Simmons has some value, but as much as I have cheered for him, I think he is probably doomed on the Spurs.

The roster spot is all I'm looking for...if we can get a 2nd rd pick in the future that would be great but, I'd be happy with a roster spot.

rastaspur
08-10-2016, 04:40 PM
The roster spot is all I'm looking for...if we can get a 2nd rd pick in the future that would be great but, I'd be happy with a roster spot.

Im okay with that assuming thomas robinson or an option better than jonathon simmons fills the void. If its just to free up a spot then i would be against it. Simmons is on a cheap contract and might prove to be somewhat useful, so why discard him to just do it if a better oprion isnt already lined up.

SAGirl
08-10-2016, 07:20 PM
Im okay with that assuming thomas robinson or an option better than jonathon simmons fills the void. If its just to free up a spot then i would be against it. Simmons is on a cheap contract and might prove to be somewhat useful, so why discard him to just do it if a better oprion isnt already lined up.

Simmons is indeed on a cheap contract and the Spurs need a backup SG with some experience with 39 year old Manu in the team likely to get rest (and the occasional nag) through the season. I kind of agree with sasaint though that he doesn't seem right now like a piece to keep for the future. Dijon has made him redundant in a way and Simmons will be a RFA this summer 7 years Dijon's senior, who can only be re-signed with cap space.

Several guys are up for being reupped with capspace: Gasol (PO) and Dedmon (assuming he pans out) and any FA Spurs want to go after over the next summer. Mills is also up for his own contract (though he can be resigned with Bird rights)

Spurs might face a situation similar to Boban, where some team just overprices him. It's hard to say. I guess at least sasaint is talking about the scenario where just like CoJo and Boban, the team chooses to go a different direction and lets them go without showing any asset for them.

But Spurs don't treat guys like straight up assets and they only move them if it's a clear advantageous and needed trade (like Hill) or at the player's request (like Nando).

I can understand someone suggesting a trade for a small asset instead, but if you have to package him with somone, who? There are no guys the Spurs can spare right now. He's likely headed for RFA this next summer for the open market and might be gone altogether.

Maddog
08-10-2016, 07:32 PM
It looks like Garino, based on not a whole lot.
One factor against him is the Spurs have usually carried 3 PGs. Right now only Tony and Mills.

dabom
08-10-2016, 07:35 PM
It looks like Garino, based on not a whole lot.
One factor against him is the Spurs have usually carried 3 PGs. Right now only Tony and Mills.

You do know We just drafted one right?

Maddog
08-10-2016, 07:41 PM
You do know We just drafted one right?

Murray?
At this point in time, I'm not sold on him as a 1.
I think he is going to be really good (eventually ), but I think he's more a combo guard. I could be wrong.

dabom
08-10-2016, 07:53 PM

sasaint
08-10-2016, 09:15 PM
Simmons is indeed on a cheap contract and the Spurs need a backup SG with some experience with 39 year old Manu in the team likely to get rest (and the occasional nag) through the season. I kind of agree with sasaint though that he doesn't seem right now like a piece to keep for the future. Dijon has made him redundant in a way and Simmons will be a RFA this summer 7 years Dijon's senior, who can only be re-signed with cap space.

Several guys are up for being reupped with capspace: Gasol (PO) and Dedmon (assuming he pans out) and any FA Spurs want to go after over the next summer. Mills is also up for his own contract (though he can be resigned with Bird rights)

Spurs might face a situation similar to Boban, where some team just overprices him. It's hard to say. I guess at least sasaint is talking about the scenario where just like CoJo and Boban, the team chooses to go a different direction and lets them go without showing any asset for them.

But Spurs don't treat guys like straight up assets and they only move them if it's a clear advantageous and needed trade (like Hill) or at the player's request (like Nando).

I can understand someone suggesting a trade for a small asset instead, but if you have to package him with somone, who? There are no guys the Spurs can spare right now. He's likely headed for RFA this next summer for the open market and might be gone altogether.

Depending on the player we would receive, I would be willing to consider packaging Simmons with any of several players. (I recognize what you are saying about PATFO's traditionally not viewing players as "assets" like other teams, and I also acknowledge that I would be willing to part with players that PATFO would not.)

But if another team were pretty interested in Simmons, then maybe we could satisfy both mo7888 and me. Perhaps we could ship out Simmons for the right to swap draft positions with a trade partner. I didn't say I necessarily wanted a player in return - just an asset.

Chinook
08-11-2016, 12:38 AM

The Spurs can use EB rights to match any offer to Simmons. They don't need cap space beyond his hold next summer.

SAGirl
08-11-2016, 12:49 AM
The Spurs can use EB rights to match any offer to Simmons. They don't need cap space beyond his hold next summer.
Can you explain that and I am sorry to ask but cap issues confuse me. I thought he could get Arenas contracts this summer. I doubt it, but you never know, it's crazy some of the wings that have gotten way overpaid recently after just one good season which I expect him to have within context.

Chinook
08-11-2016, 04:38 AM
Can you explain that and I am sorry to ask but cap issues confuse me. I thought he could get Arenas contracts this summer. I doubt it, but you never know, it's crazy some of the wings that have gotten way overpaid recently after just one good season which I expect him to have within context.

He is an Arenas RFA. But the Spurs have his Early Bird rights due to him having been with the team for two seasons. So they get what is essentially a free MLE to retain him. They'll be the same position with Bertans, and whoever (if anyone) hangs on out of Arcidiacono, Forbes and Garino.

Boban only had one year of service, so the Spurs only had his non-Bird rights, which only gives a small increase in salary from the previous season to re-sign him.

SAGirl
08-11-2016, 06:12 AM
He is an Arenas RFA. But the Spurs have his Early Bird rights due to him having been with the team for two seasons. So they get what is essentially a free MLE to retain him. They'll be the same position with Bertans, and whoever (if anyone) hangs on out of Arcidiacono, Forbes and Garino.

Boban only had one year of service, so the Spurs only had his non-Bird rights, which only gives a small increase in salary from the previous season to re-sign him.

Thanks that clarifies the issue. :tu It will be interesting to see how the Simms story goes with the season.

cutewizard
08-11-2016, 07:39 AM
Any update on Thomas Robinson?

spurtech09
08-11-2016, 11:25 PM
Any update on Thomas Robinson?Want to know too:)

cutewizard
08-11-2016, 11:33 PM
I want Robinson over the french guy, as 15th

T Park
08-11-2016, 11:44 PM
I want Robinson over the french guy, as 15th

What French guy?

cutewizard
08-11-2016, 11:49 PM
What French guy?

-----------------------------------

Livio Jean Charles?

dabom
08-11-2016, 11:58 PM
What French guy?

Chill faggot. He didn't mean porker. :lmao

spurs10
08-12-2016, 12:08 AM
-----------------------------------

Livio Jean Charles? I believe since LJC was a 1st round draft pick his contact is guaranteed. The Spurs would need to trade him. Chinook was explaining this and I thought I understood him to be signed.

cutewizard
08-12-2016, 01:15 AM
hope we trade him then, he looks NOT nba material....hmmmmp

Id rather have Thomas R, than another frenchman

cutewizard
08-12-2016, 01:16 AM
Mills and Bertans would be a deadly trifecta duo, off the bench, ey?!

kaji157
08-12-2016, 08:02 AM
I really donŽt get why they brought over Livio Jean Charles, he doesnŽt seem NBA ready at all. I guess maybe the management is just betting on him. But why bet on a player that youŽd have to guarantee 3 years.

Chinook
08-12-2016, 08:20 AM
I really donŽt get why they brought over Livio Jean Charles, he doesnŽt seem NBA ready at all. I guess maybe the management is just betting on him. But why bet on a player that youŽd have to guarantee 3 years.

It wasn't their choice. First-rounders have a unilateral right to accept their tenders. They don't have to be "ready" in the eyes of their teams.

But this "everybody > LJC" attitude is annoying (and no, I'm not zeroing-in on you with that comment). Dude is younger than both Forbes and Garino, and he has better physical tools than any of the three. And he has a better contract than they do. I wouldn't want any of those guys in LJC's situation instead of him.

T Park
08-12-2016, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE=cutewizard;8701930]-----------------------------------

Livio Jean Charles?[/QUOTE

You can wish for that all you want.

However this yearning for Thomas Robinson, isn't it curious if he's so great why no other team has rushed to sign him?

Maddog
08-12-2016, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=cutewizard;8701930]-----------------------------------

Livio Jean Charles?[/QUOTE

You can wish for that all you want.

However this yearning for Thomas Robinson, isn't it curious if he's so great why no other team has rushed to sign him?

That's an interesting question. Still youngish 25.
Has averaged - 1.25 teams/season.

So the question is not only why has no team rushed to sign him, but why has no team wanted to keep him?

spurs10
08-12-2016, 02:34 PM
It wasn't their choice. First-rounders have a unilateral right to accept their tenders. They don't have to be "ready" in the eyes of their teams.

But this "everybody > LJC" attitude is annoying (and no, I'm not zeroing-in on you with that comment). Dude is younger than both Forbes and Garino, and he has better physical tools than any of the three. And he has a better contract than they do. I wouldn't want any of those guys in LJC's situation instead of him. Other than seeing a good performance by Garino in their opening Rio game, I have little knowledge of these young guys. I liked what I saw of Bertans in SL. Training camp will be revealing to the coaches. Wish them all well.

wildbill2u
08-12-2016, 09:38 PM
The question I have is whether all these young talented players are as talented as we (think, hope, pray, etc.). Watching some of them in Sl is not the same as regular NBA games as we all found with Simmons and Kyle over the past season(s). The excitement of seeing some of the prior draft or trade picks finally here to actually compete for a role with FAs like Gasol and having a precocious draft choice in the mix as well is making me impatient for the preseason camp.

So many questions about plalyers roles and skill levels to be answered. What a great off-season for fans. It doesn't make up for the loss of Tim, but it gives us lots to argue about. I love it.

poeticism707
08-17-2016, 09:05 PM

:rollin :rollin :rollin