PDA

View Full Version : A Contest Gone Wrong

Rebel Scum
10-04-2005, 08:58 PM
This is a letter sent a few days ago to WOAI and Clear Channel regarding the trip to the Virgin Islands:

On September 30th, I received a phone call from News 4 WOAI. The gentleman on the phone stated I won the WOAI / Corporate Travel Planners (CTP), trip to the Virgin Islands, a contest recently removed from the News 4 WOAI website.

As the conversation goes, he stated the original winner didn't know about the hotel accommodations News 4 WOAI would not cover in the contest. The winner was supposed to cover that end of the expense. Everything else was taken care of as far as I knew. So now, I am the official winner. I accepted the trip and would be contacted by email (as a personal request by myself) with what my guest and I needed to know in terms of the schedule relating to the San Antonio Spur's training camp in the Virgin Islands and the tickets to attend a game on the 7th of October. He told me he would contact me that night or the following day with further information . If I declined to go on the trip, he told said he would send me some Spurs tickets to a future game. At this point, I only had three days to prepare for the trip to the Virgin Islands instead of one week based on the date the winner was supposed to be contacted or announced.

Shortly thereafter, a representative of CTP contacted me. She was informed by the gentleman from News 4 WOAI (I assume) stating I had accepted to go on the trip, however there was a problem with the tickets and the time period to claim them. I didn't fully understand the technicalities. Despite that, she told me she would put together a package and would contact me. In the meantime, I was supposed to contact her with the name of the guest I chose to join with me on the trip. I didn't want to contact her because the person I wanted to take didn't know if they would be able to attend and I didn't want the CTP representative to go the extra mile for nothing.

To make a long story short, I have yet to hear from News 4 WOAI concerning the itinerary in regards to the San Antonio Spurs training camp and tickets to the practice game or CTP and their travel arrangements to the Virgin Islands. Frankly, it's too late now. It's the day of the trip and my guest and I were supposed to depart but here we sit at home extremely disappointed at the outcome of this contest. At this point, I don't care about the trip any longer. I wish I had never received the phone call telling me I had won. If I knew then what I know now, I never would have accepted to go on this trip much less pick up the phone. Words cannot describe how disappointed I am.

Clandestino
10-04-2005, 09:04 PM
that sucks!

tw05baller
10-04-2005, 09:05 PM
tonight on news4woai the trouble shooters turn on their own company and see why rebel scum did not get to go to the virgin islands. all this and more at 10 on 4

tw05baller
10-04-2005, 09:05 PM
and yes that really sux

Clandestino
10-04-2005, 09:13 PM
no, but you bet the other news crime fighters will be all over this shit! haha

SpursWoman
10-04-2005, 09:45 PM
If this is all true....you need to make sure you get at least some tickets or something. That sucks. :(

Rebel Scum
10-04-2005, 10:50 PM
Not only have I sent this letter to News 4 and Clear Channel, I have sent it to News 4 Trouble Shooters and KSAT. I may be inclined to hit up the San Antonio Lightning as well as San Antonio Express News if I don't receive a responce via email or phone.

If you see me at a future game, I will be wearing a shirt saying:

"I won a trip to the Virgin Islands but News 4 WOAI dropped the ball and all I got was nose-bleed tickets to a Spurs Game."

Nbadan
10-04-2005, 11:09 PM
As the conversation goes, he stated the original winner didn't know about the hotel accommodations News 4 WOAI would not cover in the contest. The winner was supposed to cover that end of the expense. Everything else was taken care of as far as I knew. So now, I am the official winner. I accepted the trip and would be contacted by email (as a personal request by myself) with what my guest and I needed to know in terms of the schedule relating to the San Antonio Spur's training camp in the Virgin Islands and the tickets to attend a game on the 7th of October. He told me he would contact me that night or the following day with further information . If I declined to go on the trip, he told said he would send me some Spurs tickets to a future game. At this point, I only had three days to prepare for the trip to the Virgin Islands instead of one week based on the date the winner was supposed to be contacted or announced.

Have you considered that this may have been a scam by CTP? Isn't it unusual for a contest to be offered without hotel accommodations already being included? Seems kinda weird.

On face value, it seems like you may have a case for the Tx Attorney General. Did you send his office and the B.B.B. a copy of your letter?

AlamoSpursFan
10-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Dude...you should hit up Chris Duel.

Sounds like Clear Channel's Got Your Goat.

:lol

Rebel Scum
10-04-2005, 11:55 PM
Have you considered that this may have been a scam by CTP? Isn't it unusual for a contest to be offered without hotel accommodations already being included? Seems kinda weird.

On face value, it seems like you may have a case for the Tx Attorney General. Did you send his office and the B.B.B. a copy of your letter?

This was a contest generated by News 4 along with CTP. News 4 would handle the Spurs itinerary, CTP would handle the flight accommodations. The contest was announced on TV during Sports Sunday with Don Harris and for those who wanted to enter to win were instructed to visit the WOAI website.

I don't recall who I talked to on the phone but my called ID did say News 4 WOAI along with their number. The call from CTP came shortly after. Hotel accommodations were not included as stated on the WOAI website in bold letters. Everything else was included or as I understand paid for.

I have yet to take legal action. I mean, I didn't have anything invested in the trip other than my precious time. Right now, I am giving them a chance to admit fault and apologize. It's something that can be done with a simple phone call or an email. They have both points of contact.

kris
10-05-2005, 12:53 AM
You just got hosed. Don't wasting time calling attorneys. Even if they took the case you don't win anything for a little hassel and losing a few hours you would have spent on the internet.

Best case scenario is you boycott channel 4 until they have an exclusive.

Kori Ellis
10-05-2005, 12:56 AM
In the meantime, I was supposed to contact her with the name of the guest I chose to join with me on the trip. I didn't want to contact her because the person I wanted to take didn't know if they would be able to attend and I didn't want the CTP representative to go the extra mile for nothing.

I'm not trying to be on WOAI/CTP's side, but I have a question. Did they tell you if you don't call them back with the name of the guest, then they won't be able to confirm your reservations for you?

Vashner
10-05-2005, 01:08 AM
Try to get a comp trip out of them....

Rebel Scum
10-05-2005, 01:09 AM
You just got hosed. Don't wasting time calling attorneys. Even if they took the case you don't win anything for a little hassel and losing a few hours you would have spent on the internet. Best case scenario is you boycott channel 4 until they have an exclusive.

Hosed? Not entirely. I'm not about to drop a dime sense I didn't lose any money over it. Just time wasted is all but it's the principle of the matter. I can't say I will boycott News 4. That won't do any good.

I'm not trying to be on WOAI/CTP's side, but I have a question. Did they tell you if you don't call them back with the name of the guest, then they won't be able to confirm your reservations for you?

No. Both parties were explicit about getting back to me which none did. Imagine I confirm the trip but not the Spurs stuff. I'm sure the Virgin Islands are great but what's it without a little Spurs action.

Vashner
10-05-2005, 01:11 AM
Give me the tix i'll pack up my scuba gear..... are you nuts?

Spurs live here so it's not like you will never see them again..

Kori Ellis
10-05-2005, 01:14 AM
No. Both parties were explicit about getting back to me which none did. Imagine I confirm the trip but not the Spurs stuff. I'm sure the Virgin Islands are great but what's it without a little Spurs action.

And to this date, neither has gotten back to you, and you've left messages?

That really sucks. Hopefully you get something out of it. It sucks to get your hopes up and then be disappointed.

gospursgojas
10-05-2005, 05:12 AM
Shortly thereafter, a representative of CTP contacted me. She was informed by the gentleman from News 4 WOAI (I assume) stating I had accepted to go on the trip, however there was a problem with the tickets and the time period to claim them. I didn't fully understand the technicalities. Despite that, she told me she would put together a package and would contact me. In the meantime, I was supposed to contact her with the name of the guest I chose to join with me on the trip. I didn't want to contact her because the person I wanted to take didn't know if they would be able to attend and I didn't want the CTP representative to go the extra mile for nothing.

Looks like thats where you messed up. It doesn't sound like you were that excited to go anyway, just really dissapointed that it didn't work out.

CosmicCowboy
10-05-2005, 08:07 AM
hmmm..this almost sounds like a scam. I get "you have won" or "you have been selected" travel crap like that on my fax machine at my office all the time...they don't use the Channel 4 hook but the rest sounds the same...when a deal sounds too good to be true you can be sure that it is...

ObiwanGinobili
10-05-2005, 08:08 AM
man that sucks to no end!
they better compensate you somehow, and it should be somethign more then the 200 club seats that they usually cover booboo's with.
I'd hate to see you sitting in the nosebleeds for one freaking game when you had the oppurtunity to g oto the VI for spurs activities and see the scrimmage on the 7th...

ZStomp
10-05-2005, 08:13 AM
Not only have I sent this letter to News 4 and Clear Channel, I have sent it to News 4 Trouble Shooters and KSAT. I may be inclined to hit up the San Antonio Lightning as well as San Antonio Express News if I don't receive a responce via email or phone.

If you see me at a future game, I will be wearing a shirt saying:

"I won a trip to the Virgin Islands but News 4 WOAI dropped the ball and all I got was nose-bleed tickets to a Spurs Game."

What's San Antonio Lightning?

kris
10-05-2005, 09:42 AM
Farm Club to the Rampage?

batman2883
10-05-2005, 09:51 AM
someone got shafted

samikeyp
10-05-2005, 10:02 AM
CTP blows. Sorry that happened to you....hope you get some justice.

PeterBurns
10-05-2005, 10:14 AM
If this is legit, I'll forward to some people I know here, and see If I can help.
That's total BS.

PeterBurns
10-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Rebel
IF you have some email correspondence with them, email me at [email protected]

fraga
10-05-2005, 10:43 AM
I doubt it was a scam coming from WOAI...I just think it wasn't very well planned...but yeah...try and get some free Spurs tickets out of this some how..

Rebel Scum
10-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Looks like thats where you messed up. It doesn't sound like you were that excited to go anyway, just really dissapointed that it didn't work out.

I wasn't the "original" winner. Someone prior to me won but he/she bailed because of the hotel accommodations which were to be paid by the winner. On my end, I don't know how long ago that took place but once I was contacted, I only had three days to prepare. The technicalities were on their end. The time had expired for the "other" winner to claim the tickets. I wasn't given any time frame other than the remaining three days. WOAI knew I accepted the trip. So what if I didn't seem excited or was running around the room like a soccer hooligan, I still wanted to go.

Rebel, IF you have some email correspondence with them, email me at [email protected]

Thanks for the email address.

If you live in the viewing area, does anyone remember the contest? I may be dreaming it, LOL.

CosmicCowboy
10-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Is this a contest you registered for or did the call just come out of the blue?

Rebel Scum
10-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Is this a contest you registered for or did the call just come out of the blue?

I registered on the WOAI website.

TheTruth
10-05-2005, 03:12 PM
I remember Don Harris announcing it. You're not crazy Scum.

Clandestino
10-07-2005, 12:29 PM
so, what happened? who was at fault? the trouble shooters want to know

Rebel Scum
10-07-2005, 01:36 PM
so, what happened? who was at fault? the trouble shooters want to know

I was contacted by the station. They in turn contacted CTP. I have 30 days the claim the trip. However, the point of the trip was the Spurs. The trip to the Virgin Islands now is meaningless. He made no mention of tickets or any kind of compensation.

WOAI sucks but it isn't over. I will get something out of it.

ObiwanGinobili
10-07-2005, 01:45 PM
are the tickets liek voucher tickets?? as in transferable?
maybe you could at least sell them.

totally unconnected with WOAI - but this last season I won airline tickets from southwest doign the Coyote Races at a spurs game. i couldn't go beofre they expired so I sold them.

MannyIsGod
10-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Hey man, a free trip to the Virgin Islands isn't the end of the world!!!! Even if the Spurs aren't there!

Rebel Scum
10-07-2005, 08:40 PM
are the tickets liek voucher tickets?? as in transferable?
maybe you could at least sell them.

totally unconnected with WOAI - but this last season I won airline tickets from southwest doign the Coyote Races at a spurs game. i couldn't go beofre they expired so I sold them.

I also won SWA tickets at a playoff game. I did the "what city is this?" I ended up going to Vegas.

I may sell them. I will have to call this chick and ask. I know I can't go now. I have work. So, who wants to go to the Virgin Islands? Name your price!