PDA

View Full Version : Hell or High Water

Fabbs
08-11-2016, 06:02 PM
SFS thanks for the point out to Blood Father, I'll be checking that out.

As ducks noted, with Hollywoods Feminazi movement bullshit we'd best take note when a move that does have some balls comes out.
Hell or High Water.
Trailer.
Whaddaya think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQoqsKoJVDw

SpursforSix
08-11-2016, 07:05 PM
The trailer isn't that great. But it's gotten a lot of good press and early reviews. Dirt, guns, and Jeff Bridges. I'll check it out for sure.

Fabbs
08-11-2016, 10:12 PM
The trailer isn't that great. But it's gotten a lot of good press and early reviews. Dirt, guns, and Jeff Bridges. I'll check it out for sure.
Casting the twink who played Kirk on the two modern day Fag Treks as one of the main robbers is a huge blunder. Not nearly enough grit that the part calls for.
We'll see if it can carry.

SpursforSix
08-11-2016, 10:58 PM
Casting the twink who played Kirk on the two modern day Fag Treks as one of the main robbers is a huge blunder. Not nearly enough grit that the part calls for.
We'll see if it can carry.

I thought it was Channing Tatum until I saw the credits. At first I couldn't tell if it was part comedy. The That's What She Said Line. But yeah, seems like there would have been a lot better choices than Chris Pine.

Fabbs
09-13-2016, 08:24 AM
What's taking KODI so long to get this?

Medvedenko
09-13-2016, 10:33 AM
Saw this last night. It was great and had a lot of cool elements but felt natural and germaine to the overall story. Highly recommended.

Avante
09-13-2016, 03:02 PM
Just saw Blood Father.

I have a hard time with cartoon violence in movies not trying to be a cartoon. It was however....ok.

Really like this Amazon Fire Stick thing.

Fabbs
11-12-2016, 11:37 AM
3/10, 4/10 tops.
Tries too hard to be No Country For Old Men II.
And fails.

Jeff Bridges attempting a phony West Texas accent is pathetic. Tries the know-it-ally cynic ala Tommy Jones in No and -fails.

You want the two robbers to succeed when they are knocking off small Texas banks and no one gets hurt.
Then there is a shooting and it gets real ugly from there. And stupid.

JMarkJohns
11-13-2016, 11:19 PM
Tries too hard to be a movie with a plot unquestionably dissimilar?

The tension stems from rooting for the good bad guys turned bad good guys.

Bridges has had that down-home accent for better than two decades.

Shit, in just the last decade he's been nominated twice and won an Oscar with it.

You can dislike the movie just fine, but you shit the bed at rationalizing.

MultiTroll
11-13-2016, 11:59 PM
^ In the cesspool that is Hollywood, Oscars have absolutely zero to do with talent.

You seriously cannot see the similarities between this and No Country? :lol

JMarkJohns
11-14-2016, 12:11 AM
^ In the cesspool that is Hollywood, Oscars have absolutely zero to do with talent.

Enlighten me.

In detail.

JMarkJohns
11-15-2016, 01:11 AM
So...

Spur|n|Austin
11-15-2016, 03:47 PM

Couldn't have been two more different plots. Do you mean how they wear cowboy hats and boots? :lol

JMarkJohns
11-15-2016, 04:00 PM
Couldn't have been two more different plots. Do you mean how they wear cowboy hats and boots? :lol

Don't forget money. Both movies had money.

And dirt. Lots of money and dirt.

Must be the same.

Avante
11-22-2016, 02:49 PM
Any movie that starts out with Towns Van Zandt and then Ray Wylie Hubbard, oh hell yes~~~ Gillian Welch!!!

My kind of movie, liked everything about it. Love grim, oily hair, good old boy bullshit and the music was outstanding.

Best movie I've seen since Jack Reacher.

Fabbs
11-22-2016, 03:37 PM
Enlighten me.

In detail.
The Oscar part let's make it a thread.
Here.
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264766&p=8802653#post8802653

JMarkJohns
11-22-2016, 05:48 PM
Huh?

So it's trying to be a film it is unquestionably dissimilar to because of Oscar nominations?

Fabbs
11-23-2016, 08:10 AM
Fabbs
How Much are Oscar Selections Made on Sincere Merit?

Of course it's bullshit.

Answer my question since you made a statement of illogic in the Hell/Highwayer thread.

Bridges has had that down-home accent for better than two decades.

Shit, in just the last decade he's been nominated twice and won an Oscar with it.

JMarkJohns
11-23-2016, 09:23 AM
I never said he was deserving. Just that it his down home wasn't new, and therefore wasn't some lame attempt at copying Tommie Lee from No Country.

You still haven't answered your own assertion.

Back it up or admit you know shit on the topic.

Fabbs
11-23-2016, 09:56 AM
I never said he was deserving.
Then why did you even bring it up?

Just that it his down home wasn't new
What's this jibberish?
You most certainly did bring up Bridges Oscar in an attempt to land credence to your take on the movie. F outa here.

I'll walk you and Spur n Austin thru and address how the movie was a take off on No County in a while.

JMarkJohns
11-23-2016, 10:17 AM
"in a while"

If you can't do it simply, quickly, then there's no real connection to be made, and anything brought is a bungled, convoluted attempt to fit square peg into round hole.

Uhhh money was taken!

Uhhh law was involved!

Uhhh lots of roads!

Uhhh small town shoot out!

Well, shit! When you put it that way!

JMarkJohns
11-23-2016, 10:22 AM
Then why did you even bring it up?

What's this jibberish?
You most certainly did bring up Bridges Oscar in an attempt to land credence to your take on the movie. F outa here.

I'll walk you and Spur n Austin thru and address how the movie was a take off on No County in a while.

If I wanted to bring up Bridges acclaim I'd have said his acting, including multiple western or Texas/south-based roles, have been honored with nominations 6 times over 4 decades. I didn't. I mentioned only specific instances where his "copy" of TLJ was decades old and widely recognized, therefore it's not new, therefore not a copy.

And Spurs and I made fun of your assertion by satirically pointing out the absurdity of it.

We did nothing but undercut your claim. Not bolster it.

The fact you can't see that suggests you're pretty ducking dumb.

You need to give credence to your claims, not I.

I've simply stated facts. You've stated conjecture.

Fabbs
11-23-2016, 10:57 AM
"in a while"

If you can't do it simply, quickly, then there's no real connection to be made, and anything brought is a bungled, convoluted attempt to fit square peg into round hole.

Uhhh money was taken!

Uhhh law was involved!

Uhhh lots of roads!

Uhhh small town shoot out!

Well, shit! When you put it that way!
Nope.
And your list is actually a decent start!

JMarkJohns
11-23-2016, 10:59 AM
Then do it. If you have it, show it.

You're all talk and all of its moronic.

Fabbs
11-23-2016, 11:32 AM
No County for Old Men and Hell or High Water

Working Man / everyday man feels like he deserves a break and gets one. (Llewellen and the brothers) Check.
You can choose to like Everyday Man or like the Law. Check.
You can decide who the protagonist is. Check.

Crotchety old man is high up the local law rung in Podunk, Texas rural town. Check.
Know it all attitude. Check.
Condescending towards others. Check.
Stale old Hollywood Establishment actor with phony Texas accent. Check.
Nearing retirement, hence others warn he doesn't need to pursue this case. Check.
The Feds are brought in, but only our Hero can solve the case. Check.
Lots of roads. (poster already pointed that out)
Cash. Ditto. Coffee shop crime solving scenes and dialogue. Check.
Crotchety old lawman doesn't really solve it until the case is closed. Check.

This movie was so predictably about 10 minutes in.
Not saying it was that bad. Wasn't that good. To each his own.
The similarities are obvious.

Fabbs
11-23-2016, 11:36 AM
Dale gets a boner going thru his almanacs looking up the songs. Check.

JMarkJohns
11-23-2016, 12:03 PM
That's a lot of over-simplified hogwash.

Motives, intentions, rights, wrongs, tension twixt, the ominous moods, the reason for being, none of this is similar.

Of course certain details like roads or money or Texas or law are going to be similar. Both are crime movies. Both are located in similar settings. Both involve people.

But nothing that ties the plot together is similar.

Attitudes of everyone involved included.

Your strongest point is the similarity of Bridges/Jones characters, in that each has seen it all, or mostly seen it all, brings a wealth of perspective, but where Jones was a crotchety cynic, Bridges was a mostly sarcastic-go-lucky. One was resolute to a world where he understood he couldn't solve or fix everything, or maybe anything, despite best attempts. The other was indignant and impervious to the notion that he couldn't solve or fix or correct all wrongs, badge or no badge.

Factor in one plot revolves around shady drugs, their reach and influence, and the corrupting influence of blood money, and the other is about opportune/vulture banking preying upon the weak.

At no point in No Country was there a moral righteousness to what Brolin did. He was entirely selfish. There's was no greater good. No high ground.

With the brothers, it was righting a wrong even if wrongly.

All of your superficial similarities do not mean they are anywhere similar in films.

It's like saying Heat is trying to be Oceans 11 (the original). Or that Django and 12 Years A Slave are alike.

Topics, settings, tropes, sure.

But the films aren't even close to being similar.

Fabbs
11-23-2016, 12:16 PM
If Bridges is so happy go lucky, why does he carry the hard on to get the one brother long after it's over?
Okay, he's pissed because his partner was killed.
But I read it more as his egotistical every-thing-in-his-West Texas life-went-his-way that he just can't let it end by being (in his mind) one upped.

Oh and I sure f'd up on the Tommy Lee Jones fake accent. Born and grew up near Midland.
Bridges on the other hand, spare me.

JMarkJohns
11-23-2016, 12:20 PM
If Bridges is so happy go lucky, why does he carry the hard on to get the one brother long after it's over?
Okay, he's pissed because his partner was killed.
But I read it more as his egotistical every-thing-in-his-West Texas life-went-his-way that he just can't let it end by being (in his mind) one upped.

Oh and I sure f'd up on the Tommy Lee Jones fake accent. Born and grew up near Midland.
Bridges on the other hand, spare me.

I didn't say happy go lucky. I didn't say happy at all.

I said sarcastic go lucky. For most of the film the chase is a game. Then it's personal. Then it's life-fulfilling.

But attitudes are drastically different, one being cynical to a fault, the other the antithesis of cynical.

As for the accent. I never said it was real. You said it was a copy. You said the whole character was a copy. But Bridges and his fake accent have made western films since the 80s. And their character's attitudes are nothing alike. So other than they are Texas lawmen chasing money, you have nothing.

You seem to have a problem with comprehension.

JMarkJohns
11-23-2016, 12:32 PM
Shit, just in the last few scenes of each film involving the Jones and Bridges characters:

1. Jones is woefully dismayed at what the world has become, lamenting he can't be motivated to see his job to its necessary conclusions in the light of the weight of atrocity. It's too big for him. He's crushed by the weight of the knowing what, but not knowing why. He can't "see" himself in the world. There's no place for him, his ways, his ideals despite an office that allows him to influence such.

2. Bridges, already lost to time, already out of it, is unwavering in his attitude that he will not allow what took place to happen without a comeuppance. Indignant, heavy-handed, he intimates he knows, and looking at the oil rigs and the family, knows why, and that's he's unmoved by their heartstrings story or Robin Hood attempts since resulting actions caused loss of life. His ways, his ideal of what needs doing don't begin or end with the badge.

One is so much a cynic he can't get out of his own way even for the sake of justice. The other, is so much the realist that he knows what happened must be met with some form of Justice.

Yeah, they both talk in drawls, one more realistic than the other.

Sure they each wore stars.

Yep, they each chased crime and money.

But how, why, to what end...

Nothing alike.

Avante
11-23-2016, 12:38 PM
All that silly bullshit over a movie, hahahaha~~~~~~~~~~

JMarkJohns
11-23-2016, 12:41 PM
All that silly bullshit over a movie, hahahaha~~~~~~~~~~

You're just pissed because neither film involved underage Asian tail.

Fabbs
11-23-2016, 12:59 PM
Nothing alike.
meh, not that either one of us wants or needs third parties....here one that has thoughts from both of us:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/12/12454490/hell-or-high-water-movie-review-western-chris-pine

JMarkJohns
11-23-2016, 01:10 PM
So you read a flawed review and had your mind made up for you because of superficial matches that dance around the nature of each character by masquerading tropes as analysis.

Must be nice to be a free thinker.

Fabbs
11-23-2016, 01:12 PM
So you read a flawed review and had your mind made up for you because of superficial matches that dance around the nature of each character by masquerading tropes as analysis.

Must be nice to be a free thinker.
:lol read the review after everything posted.
give it a break.

JMarkJohns
11-23-2016, 01:25 PM
Nah... my guess is you made an assertion, had no proof, and scouted the internet for anything that backed up your claim. Probably have "Hell Or Highwater No Country For Old Men" in your Google History.

Great job finding an article that makes only the most simplistic of links.

JMarkJohns
11-23-2016, 01:27 PM
Holy shit! The article you posted is the first search return on my joke above!

Avante
11-23-2016, 02:14 PM
You're just pissed because neither film involved underage Asian tail.

I was in the navy some 50 years ago little man, ok? Undersage...????

Fucking moron.

monosylab1k
11-23-2016, 08:19 PM
I was in the navy some 50 years ago little man, ok? Undersage...????

Fucking moron.

Doesn't that make sense to you, or is your brain that dumb that you can't even get that?

Fabbs
11-23-2016, 11:08 PM
Nah... my guess is you made an assertion, had no proof, and scouted the internet for anything that backed up your claim. Probably have "Hell Or Highwater No Country For Old Men" in your Google History.

Great job finding an article that makes only the most simplistic of links.
Pure fertilizer fabricated by you.
But if you were to choose to believe your own fert, it begets the question why would you be discussing movies with a poster if they did fit that fantacy? Hmmn?

JMarkJohns
11-23-2016, 11:47 PM
Because it's a public conversation and even if you still believe you bullshit, I might sway others from thinking two movies unlike in almost every way aside from them being about crime are the same, and, both, according to you, are merely meh, when each was arguably the best film of the year.

Nbadan
11-28-2016, 01:01 AM
Good man movie....very few weak spots and captured life in west tx...very good story and the end scene was classic.. 8/10 because lets face it, West TX has no cinematography

Avante
11-28-2016, 01:46 AM
Doesn't that make sense to you, or is your brain that dumb that you can't even get that?

Who really cares about sailors in bars to begin with? Yep, only some idiot so no it doesn't make any sense to me or anyone else.

Avante
11-28-2016, 01:52 AM
We need more movies filmed in Texas with a sound track that features....

Townes Van Zandt
Gillian Welch
Bonnie Raitt
Waylon Jennings
Willie Nelson
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Hank Williams
Albert Collins
Steve Earle
Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys
Patsy Montana
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Lightnin' Hopkins

A movie about a hoboing guitar player and a murder at some out in the dust cow town juke joint. Drugs, violence, sex, and the ...........music.

Sunsets, sunrises, dirt, grim, a lot of grit. And a cast of first time actors (in the movies that is)

Opening scene.....

We come up behind a tall long hair with a guitar strapped across his back and his thumb sticking out as a red Corvette and a gorgeous blonde speeds by, he just hangs his head and starts walking down a long lonely desolate Texas road....as we hear...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kosvsEfM-g&list=PLk1cl7VpPpcnmqt6Gk-SFdM_nOJW-RWpf

Just before the sun goes down, up pulls an old hippie in an old beat up pick up truck, he's heading to Tyler, on the radio......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNM4OwJX1H0

The old hippie lights a joint up, takes a hit and hands it to our hobo. This goes on for another 20 miles or so, before.....let me out here, and thanks partner. Our hobo walks into the Fat Freddy's Bar, on the juke box.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WhLhF12TBE

....then she walked in and every head in the bar turns, she walked right over to our hobo and.................

monosylab1k
11-28-2016, 07:29 PM
Who really cares about sailors in bars to begin with?

Well the 12 year old Olongapo girls who get raped by them, for starters.

Avante
11-28-2016, 11:59 PM
Well the 12 year old Olongapo girls who get raped by them, for starters.

Are you really dumb enought to think that bars hired 12 year old girls to hustle drinks? You cannot be this stupid. Stupid, the drinking age was 18 ok dummy? Now think, ok?

And, who in the hell would prefer some under developed, flat chested, know nothing kid to a full grown woman who knew what she was doing, well?

Never seen so many total idiots in one place before, wow~~~~~

And, how do ya rape a professional hooker who is of age?

Fabbs
11-29-2016, 09:22 AM
Because it's a public conversation and even if you still believe you bullshit, I might sway others from thinking two movies unlike in almost every way aside from them being about crime are the same, and, both, according to you, are merely meh, when each was arguably the best film of the year.
...and don't forget to add, future generations will be able to fawn over your review.

JMarkJohns
11-29-2016, 10:10 AM
...and don't forget to add, future generations will be able to fawn over your review.

Fringe benefit. Primary objective was to clear out the BS.

Fabbs
11-29-2016, 11:52 AM
You didn't disprove squat.
Just gave your opinion.

Which is what a lot of movie reviewing is about.

JMarkJohns
11-29-2016, 05:46 PM
Dude, I obliterated your bullshit.

You have no argument.

And I exposed you as a google opinion.

Avante
11-30-2016, 01:00 PM
Dude, I obliterated your bullshit.

You have no argument.

And I exposed you as a google opinion.

Actually all ya really did was show how tiny and petty you are. All that stupid shit over a......movie, hahaha~~~~

JMarkJohns
11-30-2016, 01:02 PM
Actually all ya really did was show how tiny and petty you are. All that stupid shit over a......movie, hahaha~~~~

Dick Wet + 13 Year Old Rape Victim X persecution Complex

=

100% Pedo

Avante
11-30-2016, 07:33 PM
Dick Wet + 13 Year Old Rape Victim X persecution Complex

=

100% Pedo

That was stupid as ya totally ignore just how tiny and petty you are.

Stupid, are you aware of the FACT the legal age of consent in the Phillipines was..............................12.

So cool all your stupid rape talk,ok stupid?

I never saw any young girls in those bars by the way. And even if they had been there, what dummy is taking some kid over full grown women?

JMarkJohns
11-30-2016, 11:43 PM
Dick wet + 12 year old legal X psychotic defense that age of consent is tantamount to unequivocable consent

=

100% Pedo

Avante
12-01-2016, 12:31 AM
Dick wet + 12 year old legal X psychotic defense that age of consent is tantamount to unequivocable consent

=

100% Pedo

Wrong as usual. I never saw any kids in any bars so why be a fucking liar, well?

And if I would have seen any kids in a bar I'm asking the manager about what the fuck is going on with that sick shit, got it little guy?

Stupid, stop ignoring my take on that sick shit, what ya can't read?

JMarkJohns
12-01-2016, 01:10 AM
Dick Wet + 12-13 year old sex slaves X eyes closed

=

didn't see any kids but felt their insides

=

100% Pedo

Avante
12-01-2016, 01:30 AM
Dick Wet + 12-13 year old sex slaves X eyes closed

=

didn't see any kids but felt their insides

=

100% Pedo

Dude, are you retarded? Where did you ever get this pedo thing from anyway? Why just make shit up ya fucking freak? I never saw any kids in any bars so why keep lying ya fucking liar?

Stupid, there is nothing sicker than a sick ass pedo, ok guy? Now why ignore my stance on that sickness, you really this fucked up?

JMarkJohns
12-01-2016, 09:35 AM
Dick Wet + 12-13 year old sex slaves made to look like adults X desire to kill all Pedos

=

100% Self-Hating Pedo

clambake
12-01-2016, 11:56 AM
i'm pretty sure avante first checked with the bars human resources director.

Fabbs
12-02-2016, 11:38 AM
The top one in google mentions similarities to No County for Old Men?
Try the top 10 and counting. :lol

But the films aren't even close to being similar.
More often than not, however, it tries so hard to emulate the likes of “No Country for Old Men” at times that you can feel it practically straining from the effort without quite pulling it off. Peter Sobczynski of Roger Ebert.com
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/hell-or-high-water-2016

it’s the kind of genre piece that’s destined to be compared — unfavorably, how else? — to “No Country for Old Men.” -Ann Hornaday Washington Post

In many ways, Hell or High Water reminds me of No Country for Old Men, as both explore violence and criminality in the modern world as a way to speak to larger truths as to how we judge one another...-Mark Hughes in Forbes

JMarkJohns
12-02-2016, 01:42 PM
It's incredible that you combat the fact you can't think for yourself with more proof that you can't think for yourself.

redzero
12-06-2016, 08:47 AM
Well, to bring the discussion back to the movie, I liked it. The film was basically The Town set in Texas, with a little No Country For Old Men sprinkled in.

I'd recommend it.