PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi needs to take the last 6 out of 8 shots of a close game

dabom
08-13-2016, 04:15 PM
That's the one of the few aspects of his game he needs to fix. He needs to understand the BALL is GOING TO HIM at the end of the game.

Pop also needs to nurture this part. Kawhi so far doesn't still know when his shots are coming in a game. He will adjust his game so he can save that last burst for the end of the game.

This will allow Kawhi to not rush shots or force shots knowing when he'll get his next shot.

I'd rather win 55-60 games with Kawhi learning to close out games than 65ish games(we were on pace for 70) and not learn anything.

jehawk81
08-13-2016, 04:29 PM
That's the one of the few aspects of his game he needs to fix. He needs to understand the BALL is GOING TO HIM at the end of the game.

Pop also needs to nurture this part. Kawhi so far doesn't still know when his shots are coming in a game. He will adjust his game so he can save that last burst for the end of the game.

This will allow Kawhi to not rush shots or force shots knowing when he'll get his next shot.

I'd rather win 55-60 games with Kawhi learning to close out games than 65ish games(we were on pace for 70) and not learn anything.

Stupid OP is stupid OP

Astray
08-13-2016, 04:31 PM
Kiwi isn't clutch. The ball needs to go to LMAlpha.

TheGreatYacht
08-13-2016, 04:35 PM
Thankfully we have MVParker and :lmaMAlpha

jehawk81
08-13-2016, 04:36 PM

BOLD this nig!!:lma

K...
08-13-2016, 05:14 PM
He needs to be able to do that, not should or must. When lma was clearly gassed I was like ok number two, do some magic and here we are

TheGreatYacht
08-13-2016, 05:54 PM
Best go-to guys on the team:
1. LMAlpha
2. MVParker
3. Green
4. MVPau
5. Mills
6. Simmons
7. Bertans
8. Murray
9. Arcidiacono
10. Forbes

TheGreatYacht
08-13-2016, 05:55 PM

BOLD this nig!!:lma

houston spurs fan
08-13-2016, 06:39 PM
Glad Pop is in charge and not OP. Lol, smh...

DeRozan m8
08-13-2016, 06:50 PM
With a PG like Parker... Op is correct.

SAGirl
08-13-2016, 06:58 PM
He needs to be able to do that, not should or must. When lma was clearly gassed I was like ok number two, do some magic and here we are

It's not just that. There weren't many close games to begin with. The famous .gif of Pop telling Tony to give Kawhi the ball was in a relatively close game. I think they are trying to get him ready, there just weren't that many opportunities.

He's probably going to have chances this season, without that historic defense we won't have so many blowouts.

RD2191
08-13-2016, 07:03 PM
LMA can't even get out of the 2nd round. "Alpha" crofl.

SAGirl
08-13-2016, 07:07 PM

I like Kawhi, but as much as he's achieved already, he has yet to win a championship being the Alpha in the team. When he won, it was an amalgamation of contributions from a lot of guys and the big 3 were the leaders.

It's not about LMA vs Kawhi either. Kawhi's own achievements as a player need to stand out outside of the shadow from the big 3.

dabom
08-13-2016, 07:12 PM
I like Kawhi, but as much as he's achieved already, he has yet to win a championship being the Alpha in the team. When he won, it was an amalgamation of contributions from a lot of guys and the big 3 were the leaders.

It's not about LMA vs Kawhi either. Kawhi's own achievements as a player need to stand out outside of the shadow from the big 3.

Playing with POS players like FATHEAD DWORST AND ENRIQUE. :lmao

TheGreatYacht
08-13-2016, 07:13 PM

Best girl poster on here, tbh

tholdren
08-13-2016, 07:25 PM
NO LMA spurs would have gotten swept second round. Not saying he's a gamer, saying in one game I think he scored a few straight at the end. maybe a 40pt game?

tholdren
08-13-2016, 07:26 PM
Best girl poster on here, tbh
She's a dude. But I've been posting that for years.

skulls138
08-13-2016, 07:27 PM

I'd rather win 55-60 games with Kawhi learning to close out games than 65ish games(we were on pace for 70) and not learn anything.Kawhi or LMA need to take the last 6 out of 8 shots of the game. Alpha this and alpha that....stupid. Having more options, finding weaknesses in the opponent, outsmarting the opponent, passing and playing team ball wins. Am I on the Knicks forum???

SAGirl
08-13-2016, 07:34 PM
Kawhi or LMA need to take the last 6 out of 8 shots of the game. Alpha this and alpha that....stupid. Having more options, finding weaknesses in the opponent, outsmarting the opponent, passing and playing team ball wins. Am I on the Knicks forum???

Very good points. The best way to put it is that he and LMA need to establish chemistry among themselves and make it work. In reality the great teams in history have had duos or trios. It's no single man glory, playing with the teammates yields a better success than being a lone wolf.

skulls138
08-13-2016, 07:34 PM
He needs to be able to do that, not should or must. When lma was clearly gassed I was like ok number two, do some magic and here we areWhen LMA was gassed??? Doing what, jumpshooting??? Kawhi was ripping rebounds out of peoples hands. He was making clutch defensive plays. It was KL who was truly gassed. LMA is the better offensive player but was getting his ass handed to him under the boards and that was the key to the series, second chance points.

dabom
08-13-2016, 07:39 PM
Kawhi or LMA need to take the last 6 out of 8 shots of the game. Alpha this and alpha that....stupid. Having more options, finding weaknesses in the opponent, outsmarting the opponent, passing and playing team ball wins. Am I on the Knicks forum???

I don't think you watch Spurs Spurs basketball you stupid fuck. :lmao

This isn't 2014 where we had Manu going OFF and Duncan going OFF. This team doesn't have an identity at the end of games. This is exactly so the Spurs/Kawhi can close out games in the Playoffs you stupid fuck. :lmao

skulls138
08-13-2016, 08:01 PM
Very good points. The best way to put it is that he and LMA need to establish chemistry among themselves and make it work. In reality the great teams in history have had duos or trios. It's no single man glory, playing with the teammates yields a better success than being a lone wolf.Thats a fact...it just is

Play Boban
08-13-2016, 08:02 PM

PauVP.

skulls138
08-13-2016, 08:02 PM
I don't think you watch Spurs Spurs basketball you stupid fuck. :lmao

This isn't 2014 where we had Manu going OFF and Duncan going OFF. This team doesn't have an identity at the end of games. This is exactly so the Spurs/Kawhi can close out games in the Playoffs you stupid fuck. :lmaoHoly shit dude you got problems

DeRozan m8
08-13-2016, 08:06 PM

Yet you praise Kyle all the time....

He won the FMVP being the alpha that series....not his fault he lacked help the next couple of years....when you have a PG that constantly shits the bed in big games, and turd towers like Diaw and West (plus a 40yo Duncan), as well as no SG for basically a whole season, there's only so much one can do.

Not to mention how hard he plays both ends of the floor....Kawhi carries this team so f*cking much tbh

dabom
08-13-2016, 08:10 PM
People that keep thinking the TEAM is gonna win us games obviously didn't see these past 2 years when the role players flopped.

We are gonna be in the same situation and then what... You think he is gonna miraculously have those skills or better yet, the team needs to learn to give him the rock too.

I remember this exact same fucking thing like 2 years ago. I said the players can't entry pass it to Kawhi and the Bigs weren't giving him space in the low post. I swear to fucking GOD. jeez.

The team also needs to adjust. This is a learning process for the whole team. Not just Kawhi.

Spurtacular
08-13-2016, 08:10 PM
OP is a butt plug enthusiast.

dabom
08-13-2016, 08:11 PM
I wanna know what my friend BillMc thinks. He a top 5 poster.

BillMc
08-13-2016, 08:47 PM
I wanna know what my friend BillMc thinks. He a top 5 poster.Cheers man, but I'm not remotely a Top 5 poster. A lot of people on here understand the game better than I do, and many know things like the cap and contracts a thousand times better than I ever will take the time to know. But thanks for the compliment bro.I think Kawhi should be plenty aggressive, but I'm very much of the "open man should take the shot" mindset. I'd like to see more ball movement and less iso play. With good ball movement I would be very surprised if Kawhi is the "open man" 3 out of 4 times in a close game as you suggest in the thread title. In fact (and you probably will disagree) in a perfect world I'd like to see more of an offense by committee so Kawhi can save more energy for defense, where is unequivocally the best perimeter defender on the planet. But as Kawhi is developing quickly, that may not be politically realistic on the team. We may have to accept that it is a Kawhi-LMA iso heavy team. And Pau is well known, despite good passing skills, for pouting if he doesn't get shots. So, with those egos, 6 out of 8 in games that matter is probably asking for too much for any one person, even as good as Leonard is.

dabom
08-13-2016, 08:54 PM
Cheers man, but I'm not remotely a Top 5 poster. A lot of people on here understand the game better than I do, and many know things like the cap and contracts a thousand times better than I ever will take the time to know. But thanks for the compliment bro.I think Kawhi should be plenty aggressive, but I'm very much of the "open man should take the shot" mindset. I'd like to see more ball movement and less iso play. With good ball movement I would be very surprised if Kawhi is the "open man" 3 out of 4 times in a close game as you suggest in the thread title. In fact (and you probably will disagree) in a perfect world I'd like to see more of an offense by committee so Kawhi can save more energy for defense, where is unequivocally the best perimeter defender on the planet. But as Kawhi is developing quickly, that may not be politically realistic on the team. We may have to accept that it is a Kawhi-LMA iso heavy team. And Pau is well known, despite good passing skills, for pouting if he doesn't get shots. So, with those egos, 6 out of 8 in games that matter is probably asking for too much for any one person, even as good as Leonard is.

I disagree Bill. Top 5 poster.

I also disagree on the by committee. :lol

Let me explain why. The Spurs moved to a Kawhi and LMA iso heavy offense in the playoffs because the TEAM stopped scoring at an acceptable level. And an acceptable level is really dam bad shooting too.

This is exactly why the Spurs should nourish Kawhi's ability to close out late games. We need that extra option. We have never had that option. I'm not saying that for the playoffs we just dump it off to Kawhi. I want this team to click and everyone to score and work the offense as a team. It's just there will be times or many games in a series where the team will suck and you need that option(KAwhi) to know what he is doing. We need to give Kawhi reps BEFORE the playoffs.

dabom
08-13-2016, 08:57 PM
The team as a whole also needs the reps.

BillMc
08-13-2016, 09:16 PM
I disagree Bill. Top 5 poster. I also disagree on the by committee. :lolLet me explain why. The Spurs moved to a Kawhi and LMA iso heavy offense in the playoffs because the TEAM stopped scoring at an acceptable level. And an acceptable level is really dam bad shooting too. This is exactly why the Spurs should nourish Kawhi's ability to close out late games. We need that extra option. We have never had that option. I'm not saying that for the playoffs we just dump it off to Kawhi. I want this team to click and everyone to score and work the offense as a team. It's just there will be times or many games in a series where the team will suck and you need that option(KAwhi) to know what he is doing. We need to give Kawhi reps BEFORE the playoffs.I understand what you're saying. And I'm all for giving Kawhi more leadership on the team and a lot of that will come with him winning games for the Spurs in the last minute. That said, I'd still prefer the "open man" principle. And 6 out of 8, that ratio, would be a grave misuse of the talent on the team around Kawhi. I'm not a stat guy, but I'd be surprised if Kobe on his worst days was chucking it up 3 of 4 times at the end of the game. No, the only one that should get the ball 6 of 8 at the end of games is Bertans, you know, because of Riga Time! :lol

dabom
08-13-2016, 09:25 PM
I understand what you're saying. And I'm all for giving Kawhi more leadership on the team and a lot of that will come with him winning games for the Spurs in the last minute. That said, I'd still prefer the "open man" principle. And 6 out of 8, that ratio, would be a grave misuse of the talent on the team around Kawhi. I'm not a stat guy, but I'd be surprised if Kobe on his worst days was chucking it up 3 of 4 times at the end of the game. No, the only one that should get the ball 6 of 8 at the end of games is Bertans, you know, because of Riga Time! :lol
I like the new talent this year. Some of those guys will surprise. :lol

Spurtacular
08-13-2016, 09:30 PM
OP takes 6 out of 8 loads to close out his bukake sessions.

BillMc
08-13-2016, 09:41 PM
I like the new talent this year. Some of those guys will surprise. :lol :toastAgreed. Want to see what Bertans and Dedmon can really do. And Murray down the line.

dabom
08-13-2016, 09:42 PM
:toastAgreed. Want to see what Bertans and Dedmon can really do. And Murray down the line.

I like Garino kid too. If one pans out we good. :lol

BillMc
08-13-2016, 09:45 PM
I like Garino kid too. If one pans out we good. :lolHe looked good in the game today. (And thanks for that link. Best game I've seen in a long time).

dabom
08-13-2016, 09:46 PM
He looked good in the game today. (And thanks for that link. Best game I've seen in a long time).

Game was exciting. Especially cause it was actually the home crowd going crazy too.

cutewizard
08-13-2016, 10:13 PM
Basically, as I understand the OP is saying that Kawhi needs to practice being CLUTCH, OFFENSIVELY

i get it, and i agree

but perhaps they alternate, Kawhi and Lamarcus, hmmmm........

cutewizard
08-13-2016, 10:13 PM
Any links to Garino guys??

dabom
08-13-2016, 10:14 PM
Basically, as I understand the OP is saying that Kawhi needs to practice being CLUTCH, OFFENSIVELY

i get it, and i agree

but perhaps they alternate, Kawhi and Lamarcus, hmmmm........
This is why you are a Top poster too. :toast

TrainOfThought5
08-13-2016, 10:19 PM
Anywhere i can watch the garino game getting replayed?

jehawk81
08-14-2016, 12:19 AM
...This is exactly why the Spurs should nourish Kawhi's ability to close out late games...

Alphas don't need to be "nourished" for anything.. they put teams on their backs & MAKE things happen.

cutewizard
08-14-2016, 12:17 PM
This is why you are a Top poster too. :toast

-------------------------------------

Kudos man! Thank you for the appreciation, more power to you!

Dex
08-14-2016, 01:44 PM
Yeah because defenses aren't going to figure that out.

dabom
08-14-2016, 01:48 PM
Yeah because defenses aren't going to figure that out.

This is so Kawhi learns to score on a defense that knows he IS gonna take the last shot. What didn't you understand? This is so WE have the option to drop the ball to him in the PLAYOFFS. God you're dumb. srs.

dabom
08-14-2016, 02:11 PM
I already pointed out we will lose more RS games...

YGWHI
08-14-2016, 10:29 PM
Kiwi isn't clutch.

I wonder if Astray is TYG and jehawk81...It's so rare that they post the same things all the time...And they're wrong all the time.

But sure...Kawhi isn't clutch.

YGWHI
08-14-2016, 10:39 PM
I'm getting tired of these kind of threads about "Kawhi needs this" "Better he..."

I just hope he can repeat the amazing season he had last year.

He wasn't the reason why the Spurs lost in the playoffs. LMA, either. If Pau finds chemistry with the guys and our bench can make shots & rebounding, we'll be fine.

DMC
08-14-2016, 10:51 PM
The list of shit posters on this site keeps growing.

AFMadison
08-16-2016, 01:55 PM
I'm fine with Kawhi taking the last shot as long as we don't play ISO ball the entire game.

Mnky
08-16-2016, 02:54 PM
I disagree Bill. Top 5 poster.

I also disagree on the by committee. :lol

Let me explain why. The Spurs moved to a Kawhi and LMA iso heavy offense in the playoffs because the TEAM stopped scoring at an acceptable level. And an acceptable level is really dam bad shooting too.

This is exactly why the Spurs should nourish Kawhi's ability to close out late games. We need that extra option. We have never had that option. I'm not saying that for the playoffs we just dump it off to Kawhi. I want this team to click and everyone to score and work the offense as a team. It's just there will be times or many games in a series where the team will suck and you need that option(KAwhi) to know what he is doing. We need to give Kawhi reps BEFORE the playoffs.

These are good points. People criticize the iso play, we go iso because the role players can't score. Even when they get wide open shots, they had a horrible year converting. Kawhi and lma were getting doubled and tripled, and no one could take advantage of it. There isn't a team who has won the championship without ISO ball, it's part of the game. Even the spurs won by isolating Diaw. ISO doesn't have to lead to a bucket, it can lead to a pass.

Kawhi definitely needs more experience doing these things and finding out how to get the team to score when his few moves are shut down. He has major tunnel vision, and experience will help that.

No, he shouldn't be the default go to in games that matter, since he hasn't shown he can handle it consistently at all, but he should get the possessions to help develop. Every other superstar developed from those opportunities. Kawhi should get his.

HarlemHeat37
08-16-2016, 03:24 PM
I still can't believe Aldridge missed those 2 wide open jump shots in game 5, tbh:lol..excluding FTs, that was probably the worst clutch shooting I have ever seen, since becoming an NBA fan..

TheGreatYacht
08-16-2016, 03:45 PM
:lmaMAlpha with the big balls shot, and MVParker with the incredible assist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT6YmecjQcU&feature=share

Chinook
08-16-2016, 03:48 PM
These are good points. People criticize the iso play, we go iso because the role players can't score. Even when they get wide open shots, they had a horrible year converting. Kawhi and lma were getting doubled and tripled, and no one could take advantage of it. There isn't a team who has won the championship without ISO ball, it's part of the game. Even the spurs won by isolating Diaw. ISO doesn't have to lead to a bucket, it can lead to a pass.

Kawhi definitely needs more experience doing these things and finding out how to get the team to score when his few moves are shut down. He has major tunnel vision, and experience will help that.

No, he shouldn't be the default go to in games that matter, since he hasn't shown he can handle it consistently at all, but he should get the possessions to help develop. Every other superstar developed from those opportunities. Kawhi should get his.

This is all fine, but the Spurs are going to have to develop their role-players as well. That's even more true this year. The Spurs went iso because it's the easiest way to exploit mismatches, and they'll have them against GS. The role-players were off last year, but they're proven scorers. They'll need the ball as well. The Spurs need to work on integrating Kawhi/LMA touches within the flow of the offense. With guys like Gasol and Lee in the fold, that's even more obvious.

The Spurs are going to need role-players and secondary stars to score, and that will only work if they get good touches, not just the scraps of what the big two don't eat.

look_at_g_shred
08-16-2016, 04:13 PM
Best go-to guys on the team:
1. LMAlpha
2. MVParker
3. Green
4. MVPau
5. Mills
6. Simmons
7. Bertans
8. Murray
9. Arcidiacono
10. Forbes
:lmao

Brazil
08-16-2016, 04:16 PM
:madrun I also want to be a top 5 poster...

OP is right and is probably selling this stuff short, Kawhi needs to take all of them... the more he practices during the RS the more effective he will be in POs... Bold OP, one the very best poster of this site

dabom
08-16-2016, 04:31 PM
:madrun I also want to be a top 5 poster...

OP is right and is probably selling this stuff short, Kawhi needs to take all of them... the more he practices during the RS the more effective he will be in POs... Bold OP, one the very best poster of this site

:lol

That's twice today someone's said that. Must be true. :tu

And LOL at Chinook. We still trying to tell Kawhi to get his points within the flow of the offense? That's worked out for the Spurs right? It's like some people don't watch or know anything Spurs basketball. :lmao

Brazil
08-16-2016, 04:34 PM
:lol

BillMc
08-16-2016, 04:43 PM
:lmaMAlpha with the big balls shot, and MVParker with the incredible assist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT6YmecjQcU&feature=shareThat was a great play. Man, it still stings we lost that game.

skulls138
08-16-2016, 08:08 PM
I understand what you're saying. And I'm all for giving Kawhi more leadership on the team and a lot of that will come with him winning games for the Spurs in the last minute. That said, I'd still prefer the "open man" principle. And 6 out of 8, that ratio, would be a grave misuse of the talent on the team around Kawhi. I'm not a stat guy, but I'd be surprised if Kobe on his worst days was chucking it up 3 of 4 times at the end of the game. No, the only one that should get the ball 6 of 8 at the end of games is Bertans, you know, because of Riga Time! :lolDefinitely. Iso ball took one of our biggest contributors in Danny Green. Also Leonard is an excellent 3 pt shooter that will get just as much points with less effort. LMA should copy Duncan of the past and drive and kick, less jump shooting.

look_at_g_shred
08-16-2016, 08:16 PM
They all need to be near the basket too

dabom
08-16-2016, 08:17 PM
They all need to be near the basket too

that's fine. As long as he has the ball.