PDA

View Full Version : Questions About the San Antonio Airport

Chinook
08-15-2016, 09:50 AM
So I'm driving down from Austin on Friday to pick up my friend at the airport. His plane gets in at about 11a.m., but I'll probably leave my house at like six to avoid traffic and hopefully dodge the rain. That'd put me at the airport like four hours early.

So is there anywhere in the area I can chill to kill a couple of (morning) hours? And while I'm asking, does anyone know where I need to go to pick up someone getting off a Frontier flight?

RGMCSE
08-15-2016, 10:06 AM
I couldn't think of a more boring place to be then SA airport. SA's airport is really simple to navigate. Dropping off is upper level pickup is bottom level. If it was me I'd chill at a local Starbucks and enjoy a coffee and some wifi. Or go to PT's and watch some titays for a few.

RGMCSE
08-15-2016, 10:14 AM
Thinking more about it. I would go to www.thehotelemma.com in the pearl brewery to chill for a few hours. It's very relaxed atmosphere and free parking! Plus an awesome affordable gourmet sandwich shop next door. Plus it's an easy 5 minute drive on 281 south from the airport.

baseline bum
08-15-2016, 10:32 AM
I couldn't think of a more boring place to be then SA airport. SA's airport is really simple to navigate. Dropping off is upper level pickup is bottom level. If it was me I'd chill at a local Starbucks and enjoy a coffee and some wifi. Or go to PT's and watch some titays for a few.

Strip club at 9AM sounds pretty rough tbh, probably a bunch of 45 year old Mexican great grandmothers.

DisAsTerBot
08-15-2016, 10:34 AM
why are you getting there 4 hours early?

Chinook
08-15-2016, 10:44 AM

Yeah, the Austin airport is kinda in the middle of nowhere, and it's miserable to get out of their once traffic picks up. I don't doubt that SA would have a boring airport as well. I was considering just stopping in a town between the two cities to spend a couple of hours (maybe stock up on some road-trip supplies). And the airport here is small, so it's much easier to navigate than say Philly's.

Thinking more about it. I would go to www.thehotelemma.com (http://www.thehotelemma.com) in the pearl brewery to chill for a few hours. It's very relaxed atmosphere and free parking! Plus an awesome affordable gourmet sandwich shop next door. Plus it's an easy 5 minute drive on 281 south from the airport.

Thanks. I'll take that into consideration for sure. I'm picking a pretty poor time to try to find entertainment at it is.

Chinook
08-15-2016, 10:47 AM
why are you getting there 4 hours early?

Because it's supposed to rain, and I hate Austin traffic. Plus I like visiting SA. I just can't localize much that far north, and I have no idea what is open or worth going to see at like eight in the morning on a weekday.

ColinB
08-15-2016, 11:04 AM
There's a Barnes and Noble across from the mall if you can't find anything else to do.

RGMCSE
08-15-2016, 11:12 AM
Yeah, the Austin airport is kinda in the middle of nowhere, and it's miserable to get out of their once traffic picks up. I don't doubt that SA would have a boring airport as well. I was considering just stopping in a town between the two cities to spend a couple of hours (maybe stock up on some road-trip supplies). And the airport here is small, so it's much easier to navigate than say Philly's.

Thanks. I'll take that into consideration for sure. I'm picking a pretty poor time to try to find entertainment at it is.

No problem man. Pearl is a nice place to visit any time of day. It's a nice place to kill some time.

I. Hustle
08-15-2016, 11:13 AM
Check craigslist before you drive down. I bet there are a bunch of women who would be willing to help you kill some time. They'll probably even hang out with you in your car while you wait.

RGMCSE
08-15-2016, 11:17 AM
Strip club at 9AM sounds pretty rough tbh, probably a bunch of 45 year old Mexican great grandmothers.

Thats true, but nothing like having bb's abuelita's tetas in your face for breakfast. After that she'll make home made tortillas on stage.

clambake
08-15-2016, 11:18 AM
the best thing about that airport is the departure.

RGMCSE
08-15-2016, 11:22 AM
the best thing about that airport is the departure.

In my experience, that's true for most airports.

Chinook
08-15-2016, 11:23 AM
No problem man. Pearl is a nice place to visit any time of day. It's a nice place to kill some time.

It's at the top of the list if I decide to go in and actually see the city. Right now, the plan is to shoot down 35 until I get to 410, swing by the airport and just catch 10 on the way West. Just quick and clean.

Spur|n|Austin
08-15-2016, 11:30 AM
There's a Barnes and Noble across from the mall if you can't find anything else to do.

Ah the good ole time killer, B&N. How does that place stay in business?

RGMCSE
08-15-2016, 11:30 AM
It's at the top of the list if I decide to go in and actually see the city. Right now, the plan is to shoot down 35 until I get to 410, swing by the airport and just catch 10 on the way West. Just quick and clean.

:bobo

Blake
08-15-2016, 11:35 AM

:lol

SpursforSix
08-15-2016, 11:35 AM
You should spend some time walking the airport and checking out all the Illuminati symbolism. Especially the murals.

elbamba
08-15-2016, 01:21 PM
North Star Mall is right there if you want to kill some time.

phxspurfan
08-15-2016, 01:38 PM
topgolf if you want to drive to NW side and spend money

library downtown, pretty nice library last time I went 15 years ago

academy at 410 to pick up spurs gear

Joseph Kony
08-15-2016, 01:43 PM
like someone said the closest big thing to the airport is probably North star mall. if you play instruments you can fuck around at guitar center or sam ash for awhile to kill time.

SA airport is super small and boring but its actually a good thing, makes getting in and out of there fairly simple

I. Hustle
08-15-2016, 02:28 PM
topgolf if you want to drive to NW side and spend money

library downtown, pretty nice library last time I went 15 years ago

academy at 410 to pick up spurs gear

This dude. He ain't trying to drive all around town.

philldafunk
08-15-2016, 03:17 PM
North Star or the Quarry, There's also a Alamo Drafthouse near by as well, could get some grub and catch a flick.

I. Hustle
08-15-2016, 05:02 PM
Go get some breakfast at Magnolia Pancake Haus or go to Torchy's tacos if you want to feel like you are still home.

SpursforSix
08-15-2016, 05:03 PM
Oh yeah...don't forget to swing by the Alamo.

Robz4000
08-15-2016, 08:25 PM
Yeah, North Star Mall would be your best bet to kill a few hours. Plenty to do in and around it.

DMC
08-16-2016, 02:41 AM
So I'm driving down from Austin on Friday to pick up my friend at the airport. His plane gets in at about 11a.m., but I'll probably leave my house at like six to avoid traffic and hopefully dodge the rain. That'd put me at the airport like four hours early.

So is there anywhere in the area I can chill to kill a couple of (morning) hours? And while I'm asking, does anyone know where I need to go to pick up someone getting off a Frontier flight?
Curbside. He'll tell you where he's standing. If he has luggage, it doesn't matter what flight he took, his bags will go where the hell ever those idiots decide to put them and he'll walk out the nearest door.

DMC
08-16-2016, 02:44 AM

lol I fly almost every week and never had any issues getting in and out of the Austin airport. After dealing with Logan and YYZ recently, I am not worried in the least about Austin or SA airports. Folks who never fly have to learn everything on the "fly". I'd suggest you drive through the passenger pickup area to see what you are going to be facing. They likely have a cell phone lot for waiting (up to 45m I think). That keeps you from doing 10 loops as your passenger is waiting for their luggage.

Chinook
08-16-2016, 06:56 AM
Curbside. He'll tell you where he's standing. If he has luggage, it doesn't matter what flight he took, his bags will go where the hell ever those idiots decide to put them and he'll walk out the nearest door.

Indeed. And I think I'll do that.

lol I fly almost every week and never had any issues getting in and out of the Austin airport.

I flew a lot when I was in college, but my main experience with airport commuting was when I worked at ABIA the summer after high school. It wasn't hard to get back onto 71, but you start off on the right side, and if you have to get over to the left to avoid going onto Airport, then it's a real bitch in morning traffic (when I'd get off every day). It's probably easier doing that from the passenger exit, which is farther away from the split than the service entrance.

After dealing with Logan and YYZ recently, I am not worried in the least about Austin or SA airports. Folks who never fly have to learn everything on the "fly". I'd suggest you drive through the passenger pickup area to see what you are going to be facing. They likely have a cell phone lot for waiting (up to 45m I think). That keeps you from doing 10 loops as your passenger is waiting for their luggage.

That's good advice. Thanks. Despite how often I've personally flown, I've only ever picked up someone from an airport once (in a car -- met some others in Philly via train). I'll most likely be making use of the cell phone lot, but I also am trying to find a place for a longer period to get out and do something, because it's straight to New Mexico from the airport.

DMC
08-16-2016, 11:11 AM
You could always go check out Tim's custom automotive shop and get a t-shirt.

Blake
08-16-2016, 11:18 AM
Oh yeah...don't forget to swing by the Alamo.

There's also Fiesta Texas and if there's still time that morning, get in 18 holes at TPC golf course, and maybe a show or two at Sea World followed by a concert at the Majestic.....if there's time

Chinook
08-16-2016, 11:18 AM
You could always go check out Tim's custom automotive shop and get a t-shirt.

Now that would be cool. But seriously, are all of these place open so early?

Blake
08-16-2016, 11:20 AM
Now that would be cool. But seriously, are all of these place open so early?

If you can't do all that in four hours then I don't know what to tell you

Chinook
08-16-2016, 11:20 AM
There's also Fiesta Texas and if there's still time that morning, get in 18 holes at TPC golf course, and maybe a show or two at Sea World followed by a concert at the Majestic.....if there's time

I think there will be time if I can get back to Corpus before eight.

Chinook
08-16-2016, 11:21 AM
If you can't do all that in four hours then I don't know what to tell you

Was talking about Tim's shop. A lot of people are giving good suggestions, but I feel like the 7:30a.m. to 10:30a.m. timeframe is being overlooked. Especially on a weekday.

SpursforSix
08-16-2016, 11:29 AM
Was talking about Tim's shop. A lot of people are giving good suggestions, but I feel like the 7:30a.m. to 10:30a.m. timeframe is being overlooked. Especially on a weekday.

You could do the Riverwalk.

Blake
08-16-2016, 12:13 PM

Yeah, drive time during rush hour is absolutely being overlooked.

Just go to the mall or a Starbucks, imo

elbamba
08-16-2016, 01:05 PM
Mall opens at 10:00 i believe. I had to run there today to return a stupid drone.

DJR210
08-16-2016, 01:10 PM
Go hit up George Gervin's Sports Bar in the airport for a few

Chinook
08-16-2016, 01:18 PM
Mall opens at 10:00 i believe. I had to run there today to return a stupid drone.

I figured something like this. When I worked in a mall during college, it opened at 9a.m. So I don't think it's a viable option. Will probably just do a Walmart or something.

RGMCSE
08-16-2016, 02:02 PM

Did you happen to buy one of those orange drones from the kiosk?

I. Hustle
08-16-2016, 02:26 PM
I'm telling you, just check Craigslist. I bet you find plenty of women that will help you kill some time. They say massage but I bet for a couple extra bucks you could get a little more.

elbamba
08-16-2016, 02:48 PM
Did you happen to buy one of those orange drones from the kiosk?

It was a white one. I would have never purchased it. My FIL bought it for my son for his birthday. I don't buy from mall Kiosks due to the risk of crappy products and an impossible return policy.

RGMCSE
08-16-2016, 03:06 PM
It was a white one. I would have never purchased it. My FIL bought it for my son for his birthday. I don't buy from mall Kiosks due to the risk of crappy products and an impossible return policy.

Oh ok. I was just wondering because I was at North Star on Sunday and saw some dude with like 3 drones. I later noticed that he must've bought them from the kiosk by the food court. Dude either got a good deal or was re selling or maybe just giving away drones as gifts or something.

DMC
08-16-2016, 03:16 PM
Do you have your road beers and such ready for the trip? Think about what you'll need on your trip. Maybe hit a car wash, or pick up Tony Parker and he'll drive non stop and never pass off to you guys.

Chinook
08-16-2016, 03:35 PM
Do you have your road beers and such ready for the trip? Think about what you'll need on your trip. Maybe hit a car wash, or pick up Tony Parker and he'll drive non stop and never pass off to you guys.

:lol I have thought about just going to a Walmart or something to fill up on supplies before going to the airport. Seeing as it's getting kind of hard to find the time to do it this week, I might end up doing that.

Only issue is that Tony likes to drive into traffic and get blocked up in the lane. Would rather avoid that.

DisAsTerBot
08-16-2016, 03:42 PM
or you could just leave austin at 9 and not be 4 hours early roaming a fucking walmart

SpursforSix
08-16-2016, 03:43 PM
I'm telling you, just check Craigslist. I bet you find plenty of women that will help you kill some time. They say massage but I bet for a couple extra bucks you could get a little more.

No disrespect...but have you really thought that through???

Thanksgiving 2016

IHustle : Hey mom, glad to be home...good to see you.
IHMom : Hi honey...hope you're hungry
IHustle : Sure am. Who's that guy in the back?
IHMom : His name's Chinook. We met...uh...at the grocery store.

DMC
08-16-2016, 07:44 PM
:lol I have thought about just going to a Walmart or something to fill up on supplies before going to the airport. Seeing as it's getting kind of hard to find the time to do it this week, I might end up doing that.

Only issue is that Tony likes to drive into traffic and get blocked up in the lane. Would rather avoid that.
True, and if he doesn't do well through 3/4ths of Texas, he'll drive like a maniac to recover in that last leg even if you're basically there already.