PDA

View Full Version : Some Basic observation about Garino for the folks that missed his games.

apalisoc_9
08-17-2016, 09:38 PM
According to scouts before the olympics started, Garino was good at shooting, very good on defense and a really good rebounder. According to scouts, he had a decent all around game and can make straight drives to the basket. He also had projected weaknesses..like his speed, inability to make plays for others, and he isnt elite at anything.

After watching him play 6 games, here is how he fared against mostly NBA level players and some elite euros.

Offense+

- He can really set good offball screens. A sign of good character...alot of that has to do with his length and somewhat wider frame for an SF.

- He seems to be confident with his Three point shooting ability and so he doesnt hesitate when he's wide open. That's a must for any player wanting to make it to the NBA

- He's unselfish and will make the extra pass if need be.

Offense-

- His cofidence in the three point shot varries depending on where he is. He doesn't like to shoot at the top. Which is concerning but I imagine most of his opportunities will be in the corner. No midrange game. No PNr game

- He was advertised as a do all kind of guy, but his dribbling skill is way too poor to be reliable...when he tries, he makes bad decisions.

- He doesnt do anything at all offensively, to be honest.

Defense+

- Very capable one on one defender. He's lenght allows him to bother most shots

- Amazing off ball defender. Very focused and communicates.

- Did not have trouble with bigger PFs and held his ground agaibst Guards.

Defense -

- Surprisngly, not a whole lot of negative. He's a great defender.

Rebounding

- I honestly thought he was pretty darn average. Missed a few fundamental box outs too.

SAGirl
08-17-2016, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the scouting report Apo!
Just on defense alone I think he has a good chance. But one could see why he went undrafted.

MaNu4Tres
08-17-2016, 09:47 PM
Austin Spurs or back overseas.

SAGirl
08-17-2016, 09:49 PM
Austin Spurs or back overseas.
Versus Forbes and Arci?

MaNu4Tres
08-17-2016, 09:51 PM
Versus Forbes and Arci?

I think all three are waived just before the last cuts. Forbes & Arcidiacono will be in Austin.

dabom
08-17-2016, 09:55 PM
I think all three are waived just before the last cuts. Forbes & Arcidiacono will be in Austin.

I think he makes the cut. Spurs do like that 15th spot open though.

apalisoc_9
Forbes won't make the team, neither will Arci...They're all Austin Material..same thing with Garino. Murray is going to play for Austin for long stretches too.

I would play for Austin if I was Garino. He only really needs to improve his three ball. If he becomes a good shooter, he's instantly NBA material since he has all the phyiscal tools to be an NBA player.

SAGirl
Hmm I disagree. I think they do keep someone. I think it was Chinook who mentioned elsewhere all 3 candidates have a niche and a specific role they could fill. It will come down to where Pop feel they need help the most. That's impossible to know right now but I do think they keep someone.

apalisoc_9
08-17-2016, 09:58 PM
Hmm I disagree. I think they do keep someone. I think it was Chinook who mentioned elsewhere all 3 candidates have a niche and a specific role they could fill. It will come down to where Pop feel they need help the most. That's impossible to know right now but I do think they keep someone.

I can see one of the Austin guys playing for a couple of games, then back to austin...so that could be anyone of the three. I was hoping Garino would be better than Simmons since simmons is old and his game doesnt fit well when LA, Kawhi and Pau are all playing together...but we'll see.

spurs10
08-17-2016, 10:11 PM
I think he makes the cut. Spurs do like that 15th spot open though. Yeah this what I'm wondering. If he takes the 15th spot our roster is full isn't it?

dabom
08-17-2016, 10:16 PM
I think so. But at this time, it actually looks like a complete roster tbh. Spurs shouldn't mind using up that last roster spot.

gambit1990
08-17-2016, 10:25 PM
raw, can defend.

i question his decision making atm but he's young and undrafted so.

ElNono
08-17-2016, 11:29 PM
raw

spurs10
08-18-2016, 12:00 AM
I think so. But at this time, it actually looks like a complete roster tbh. Spurs shouldn't mind using up that last roster spot. I could see it happening.

Emperor
08-18-2016, 12:04 AM
The best 15th spot player in the NBA.

dabom
08-18-2016, 12:08 AM
The best 15th spot player in the NBA.

Already better than fathead.

Emperor
08-18-2016, 12:16 AM
Already better than fathead.

Better to be just 3 & D than just slow and high iq? :lol

dabom
08-18-2016, 12:19 AM
Better to be just 3 & D than just slow and high iq? :lol

Having a big head doesn't mean you have a high IQ. :lol

dabom
08-18-2016, 12:24 AM
I have seen zero plays that makes me think fathead has a High IQ. And I'm not talking about some garbage time RS fucking game. I'm not directing that emperor. I just want to see if anyone disagrees.

dabom
08-18-2016, 12:26 AM
Like Kawhi is high fucking IQ player. Immensely. The ability to evolve/learn all his moves is a thing of beauty on offense. His awareness on defense. :wow

dabom
08-18-2016, 12:29 AM
Kawhi don't take it up like a little bitch on a PG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5rLHaeCgRI

Also the refs letting Kawhi GET MUGGED on the head by Russ and nothing called. :lmao

Emperor
08-18-2016, 12:39 AM
I hope Kawhi becomes alitte more vocal this season. I'm hoping he has it in him even though he's been abit of a quiet leader thusfar but he's alpha AF with his two way game and just entering his prime which is scary enough. He's not near perfect yet, but WAY better than people thought he'd be coming out of college.

dabom
08-18-2016, 12:46 AM
I hope Kawhi becomes alitte more vocal this season. I'm hoping he has it in him even though he's been abit of a quiet leader thusfar but he's alpha AF with his two way game and just entering his prime which is scary enough. He's not near perfect yet, but WAY better than people thought he'd be coming out of college.

I think so too. You really can't tell a team with Fucking Tim Fucking Duncan and Pop, that you want the team to play like this way or something. Especially if it got you 1 ring already. If you're Kawhi, you have to be really fucking patient. I think he has giving the Spurs enough patience. No Duncan and no winning these last 2 years and carrying some carcass s around, It's only natural for Kawhi to expand his leadership role.

jesterbobman
08-18-2016, 02:38 AM
The fact that you can almost copy and paste this to describe Harrison Barnes says something.

Mal
08-18-2016, 03:01 AM
He sucks. I saw the game. Not NBA material.

apalisoc_9
08-18-2016, 03:06 AM
The fact that you can almost copy and paste this to describe Harrison Barnes says something.

Harrison barnes isba good defender? When the fuck did that happen

kobyz
08-18-2016, 06:42 AM
http://youtu.be/2BpEFJXQ8bo

Seventyniner
08-18-2016, 08:14 AM
The writeup sounds like a before-his-prime Bruce Bowen. Though I'm not actually sure that kind of player can be useful in :lol today's NBA.

buttsR4rebounding
08-18-2016, 08:58 AM
I think Pop is looking for perimeter defenders to match up to GS as best as possible. If he plays defense as described and can hit the corner 3 to provide spacing for the pound-the-shit-out-of-paint offense he will make a positive contribution. Simmons is the one most likely to get cut if Garino plays well.

look_at_g_shred
08-18-2016, 09:12 AM
Thanks for a great write-up. I'm torn between him and Forbes. On one hand you have a guy in Forbes who can provide instant offense off the bench with average at best defense, and then Garino who will supply tough defense. We saw last year that even with great defense, Offense was what we lacked. It be great to have both.

Canyonero
08-18-2016, 09:40 AM
Offense+

- He seems to be confident with his Three point shooting ability

Offense-

- His cofidence in the three point shot varries depending on where he is.

Ok....

kaji157
08-18-2016, 10:20 AM
Garino has shown some good things and i do not entirely agree with apo.

On the plus side i would say he is a very good positional player, both on offense and defense, that is a huge, HUGE plus for our team as we rely a lot on positioning and outsmarting our opponents.
On defense he does very well both on and off the ball, and on offense he is always in the right place and is smart for cuts inside, even some penetrations off a curl.
He is clearly not a shot creator, nor for himself or others, but is not an unwilling passer or a bad decision maker. The problem in argentina is that if the ball was in his hands to make a decision, is because the defense was already ahead of the offense in that play.
He has a pretty good 3pt shot that i see no problem translating to the NBA distance, has a slow release but nothing out of the ordinary, and he has a good one pump-shot for when defenses closes on him.
Also the main problem for him not being a shot creator is his iffy dribling, yet Green has showed that you donīt need to be elite in that aspect to succeed in the Spurs.

Nothing flashy, for me is the usual spurs blue collar guy, and i think he will be in front of Anderson and Simmons very soon.

ElNono
08-18-2016, 10:49 AM
His man defense is good, but he's going to foul a lot until he earns the refs respect. That's pretty normal with new players. He has a long way to go to earn a spot in the NBA, but the tools are there.

MaNu4Tres
08-18-2016, 11:06 AM
Thanks for a great write-up. I'm torn between him and Forbes. On one hand you have a guy in Forbes who can provide instant offense off the bench with average at best defense, and then Garino who will supply tough defense. We saw last year that even with great defense, Offense was what we lacked. It be great to have both.

There's nothing to be torn about. Forbes or Garino won't be relevant to the Spurs next year. Austin Spurs, yes. San Antonio Spurs, no. Spurs are stacked in the backcourt and at the wing already enough. If either makes the team, which I doubt will happen, they'll be buried on the bench in a suit or in Austin.

cutewizard
08-18-2016, 11:06 AM

-----------------------------------------------------------------

We already have superior offense with Lamarcus, Gasol, Kawhi, Tony, Mills, and Lee

we could do with more defence......

RD2191
08-18-2016, 11:34 AM
There's nothing to be torn about. Forbes or Garino won't be relevant to the Spurs next year. Austin Spurs, yes. San Antonio Spurs, no. Spurs are stacked in the backcourt and at the wing already enough. If either makes the team, which I doubt will happen, they'll be buried on the bench in a suit or in Austin.
Our backcourt is trash. Not sure why you mean by stacked. And depth behind Kawhi is still iffy at best.

MaNu4Tres
08-18-2016, 11:36 AM
Our backcourt is trash. Not sure why you mean by stacked. And depth behind Kawhi is still iffy at best.

PG: Parker, Mills, Murray
SG: Green, Manu, Simmons
SF: Kawhi, Anderson, Bertans .. There's a reason why Forbes and Garino were undrafted. There's a reason why no team offered them full guaranteed deals (like GPII) . Those two players are not better than any of those 9 players ahead of them. So yes, they'd be buried on the bench in a suit or in Austin.

dabom
08-18-2016, 11:36 AM

I'm gonna have to bookmark you dude. Top poster, but I disagree on Garino not making the team.

dabom
08-18-2016, 11:43 AM
SF: Kawhi, Anderson, Bertans .. There's a reason why Forbes and Garino were undrafted. There's a reason why no team offered them full guaranteed deals (like GPII) . Those two players are not better than any of those 9 players ahead of them. So yes, they'd be buried on the bench in a suit or in Austin.

If the playoffs started today, I'd pick Garino over fathead for backup Kawhi duties.

MaNu4Tres
08-18-2016, 11:45 AM
I'm gonna have to bookmark you dude. Top poster, but I disagree on Garino not making the team.

I think all three players signed those deals as signing bonuses to agree to go to Austin if they don't get picked up at the end of training camp (which likely won't happen). It was 100K guarantee for Garino, 75K for Forbes and Arci.

Go ahead and bookmark me, I said the same thing about Cotton 2 years ago.

dabom
08-18-2016, 11:47 AM
I think all three players signed those deals as signing bonuses to agree to go to Austin if they don't get picked up at the end of training camp (which likely won't happen). It was 100K guarantee for Garino, 75K for Forbes and Arci.

Go ahead and bookmark me, I said the same thing about Cotton 2 years ago.

I never thought cotton would make the team either. I also don't have a lot of bump-able material.

He's gonna make the team by the end of the year.

apalisoc_9
08-18-2016, 11:50 AM
Offense+

- He seems to be confident with his Three point shooting ability

Offense-

- His cofidence in the three point shot varries depending on where he is.

Ok....

Yeah hes a cobfident three point shooter...except at the top of the key...hebdoesbt like those.

MaNu4Tres
08-18-2016, 11:54 AM
If the playoffs started today, I'd pick Garino over fathead for backup Kawhi duties.

Anderson, Bertans and Simmons are better than Garino.

dabom
08-18-2016, 11:57 AM
Fathead and Simmons nah. Never.

elemento
08-18-2016, 12:49 PM
Sons , if you're expecting a new Manu you'll be highly disappointed. The boy is a project to be a decent 3 and D role player, nothing more than that. They won't be another special player like Manu in Argentina ever again.

I. Hustle
08-18-2016, 12:58 PM
Sons , if you're expecting a new Manu you'll be highly disappointed. The boy is a project to be a decent 3 and D role player, nothing more than that. They won't be another special player like Manu in Argentina ever again.

I haz a sad

https://media.giphy.com/media/CAWjxQLGFB7ZS/giphy.gif

kuato
08-18-2016, 01:13 PM
Hire Campazzo!!

SAGirl
08-18-2016, 03:29 PM

On the plus side i would say he is a very good positional player, both on offense and defense, that is a huge, HUGE plus for our team as we rely a lot on positioning and outsmarting our opponents.
On defense he does very well both on and off the ball, and on offense he is always in the right place and is smart for cuts inside, even some penetrations off a curl.
He is clearly not a shot creator, nor for himself or others, but is not an unwilling passer or a bad decision maker. The problem in argentina is that if the ball was in his hands to make a decision, is because the defense was already ahead of the offense in that play.
He has a pretty good 3pt shot that i see no problem translating to the NBA distance, has a slow release but nothing out of the ordinary, and he has a good one pump-shot for when defenses closes on him.
Also the main problem for him not being a shot creator is his iffy dribling, yet Green has showed that you donīt need to be elite in that aspect to succeed in the Spurs.

Nothing flashy, for me is the usual spurs blue collar guy, and i think he will be in front of Anderson and Simmons very soon.
:lmao had to laugh at your homerism. In no world is he better than Anderson and for Simmons that is yet to be seen.

dabom
08-18-2016, 03:35 PM
:lmao had to laugh at your homerism. In no world is he better than Anderson and for Simmons that is yet to be seen.

Not funny considering you don't know basketball. :lol

TD 21
08-18-2016, 03:42 PM

I don't get the fascination with him. I know it's partially because he's Argentinian, but the situation is clearly what you described. He even sounded resigned to his fate after he signed.

The 15th spot (really, Jean-Charles will be the 15th man though) is probably going to Robinson or, if he chooses the Pacers or whoever else might be interested, some other big.

SAGirl
08-18-2016, 04:18 PM
He's like a homeless man's Danny Green and I say homeless bc he's not on Danny's level on D and Danny has a quick shot that he can make from anywhere. This guy is 23 and only recently as of last season became a 3 pt shooter from college 3 pt line and FiBA. Has a long way to go to show he can shoot the 3 in the league.

In that interview he gave after his contract, he admitted that dleague was a big possibility.

SAGirl
08-18-2016, 04:20 PM
I don't get the fascination with him. I know it's partially because he's Argentinian, but the situation is clearly what you described. He even sounded resigned to his fate after he signed.

The 15th spot (really, Jean-Charles will be the 15th man though) is probably going to Robinson or, if he chooses the Pacers or whoever else might be interested, some other big.
You are right, if he makes the team his competition is likely Livio Jean Charles, who is another defensive project player.

dabom
08-18-2016, 04:25 PM
Fathead is comparable to a bag of shit. Not even near green or kawhi. :lol

kaji157
08-18-2016, 05:00 PM

Not yet, i said "very soon".

Probably not smart to laugh at something that in 6 month might come back to bite your ass.

I never liked Simmons a lot, but Anderson, i always thought he was gonna be usefull at the least, and for what he was able to show, he is still almost unplayable in defense and in offense he plays well with the ball but off it he has not shown much smarts.

SAGirl
08-18-2016, 05:29 PM
Not yet, i said "very soon".

Probably not smart to laugh at something that in 6 month might come back to bite your ass.

I never liked Simmons a lot, but Anderson, i always thought he was gonna be usefull at the least, and for what he was able to show, he is still almost unplayable in defense and in offense he plays well with the ball but off it he has not shown much smarts.
You might be the one scratching your bottom TBH. Unplayable on defense shows ignorance and offensively he wasn't a shooter which made the pairing with Manu awkward bc Manu needs shooters around him that's no secret, but he's improved his shot a lot and is still younger than Garino.

I am hoping for the best for Garino, from the very beginning I stated he had a chance, but to assume he's better than Anderson even right now is really homerism, which frankly you can admit. Dude still needs to make the team to start and has the same uphill climb all rookies have. He's got a low ceiling as a 3-D roleplayer who is a bit older than other rookies. There's a reason he went undrafted and it can be seen in his limited game. Anderson is a lot more versatile on both ends, Simmons is a versatile offensive player and Bertans is the one who has a limited game, but he's such a pure shooter that Garino won't even come close. I have thought for a while he has a good chance based on his defensive hustle but he's not the better player of the 4 guys here.

dabom
08-18-2016, 05:33 PM
I said Fathead was a POS player last year. I wasn't wrong. :lmao

ernest787
08-18-2016, 06:31 PM
I said Fathead was a POS player last year. I wasn't wrong.

but he improved his shot... but it's Manu's fault b/c they can't play together... but.. but.. but...

SAgirl calling people off for homerism :lmao

sasaint
08-18-2016, 06:47 PM

I do not expect Anderson to back up Kawhi any more than Boris did, so I think we are thin on the wing. I expect Kyle to become a point 4 a la Boris. He has a slightly different skill set than Boris, and he needs experience to develop Boris' savvy, but I expect him to fill that role - hopefully, sooner rather than later.

sasaint
08-18-2016, 07:04 PM

I think you got sucked into playing with "their" ball on "their" home court. Trying to be objective, I see posters on ST falling into roughly 3 groups. One group just seems to passionately dislike the guy (and his appearance). A second group seems to project him as a SF and (justifiably) see him washing out. The third group projects him as a PF, playing Boris' role (more or less) and sees a relatively high ceiling for a very young guy who has been slowly developing his game and has yet to be utilized in the role we foresee for him. This season should tell what Pop intends for him and, consequently which group is right.

Garino, though, may well be a better bet at SF. Comparing him and Kyle is absolutely apples and oranges.

TheGreatYacht
08-18-2016, 07:41 PM

^ Argie

TheGreatYacht
08-18-2016, 07:42 PM
After watching this guy.... I'm with SAGirl

Anderson >>>>>>>>>>> Garino

And it isn't close.

phxspurfan
08-18-2016, 08:15 PM
looked slow and soft in the USA game. Also didn't seem to have killer instinct when shooting, kind of shot it timidly. But has some size. Kind of a poor mans Kyle Anderson with less court vision and slightly better shot.

tonight...you
08-18-2016, 08:20 PM
^ Argie
^ Mexican

gospursgojas
08-18-2016, 08:33 PM
Offense+

- He can really set good offball screens. A sign of good character...alot of that has to do with his length and somewhat wider frame for an SF.

- He seems to be confident with his Three point shooting ability and so he doesnt hesitate when he's wide open. That's a must for any player wanting to make it to the NBA

- He's unselfish and will make the extra pass if need be.

Offense-

- He doesnt do anything at all offensively, to be honest.

Well which is it?

Keepin' it real
08-18-2016, 08:48 PM
He sucks. I saw the game. Not NBA material.

SAGirl
08-18-2016, 09:27 PM
I think you got sucked into playing with "their" ball on "their" home court. Trying to be objective, I see posters on ST falling into roughly 3 groups. One group just seems to passionately dislike the guy (and his appearance). A second group seems to project him as a SF and (justifiably) see him washing out. The third group projects him as a PF, playing Boris' role (more or less) and sees a relatively high ceiling for a very young guy who has been slowly developing his game and has yet to be utilized in the role we foresee for him. This season should tell what Pop intends for him and, consequently which group is right.

Garino, though, may well be a better bet at SF. Comparing him and Kyle is absolutely apples and oranges.

You are right. :tu Some guys are not worth chatting with and they are on my ignore list (others are obvious trolls alts, when I see a troll with only 300 posts, that is someone trying to inflate the trolling with an alt, yea its pathetic). Not that Kaji is that, he's just a local Argentinian fan who is going to have homer glasses.

In reality the summer is always the time for overhyping undrafted guys and not all of them pan out. The vast majority is Austin bound. Last season for example Simmons was being called the second coming of Manu, a playmaking SG who could slash on the PnR. He was even more flashy and had good reason to get ppl hyped up over the summer. Then he struggled as a rookie, and was close to getting cut. He is still working on his game to break through and I am optimistic about him, I think that he will. I would say Simmons was by far the more impressive undrafted guy out of the two between him and Garino and he commanded at least one season fully guaranteed, which Garino did not.

Bertans is in another stratosphere having gotten 2 years fully guaranteed and being a known commodity as a knock down shooter.

As for Kyle, the troll brigade is ignorant. I won't say much about him as I have chatted a lot about him elsewhere, and this thread is about Garino after all, but he already played a lot of minutes towards the second half of the season and is a guy Pop came to trust. He is only 22 and only going to trend up from here. You would think true Spurs fans would be happy about that, but such is the toxic crew that visits here and like to post (I am sure a lot of fans lurk but stay away lol).

What Pop decides to do with him for the season is on Pop. I think he will still be played all over in spots, bc he can adjust depending on who is playing beside him. He's so versatile with ball handling/shooting/passing/defense/rebounding/BBIQ that it doesn't matter. His weakness was shooting and I would expect him to improve that this season. Him being that versatile is a good thing, it's something very few players can do well.

Now if the coach wanted to maximize what he specifically could do for the team, he would be put more often in positions to make decisions with the ball. My guess is he's going to be tested in situations this season and Manu coming back is meant as help and not to have Manu shoulder the burden since that should not be his role at 39 and they need to be getting other guys ready. I would expect Kyle (and Simmons, Murray, or Bertans) to be more involved in what the bench are doing this season. For a limited role like Kyle had last season, standing in a corner, Garino is ideal but that is not probably the kind of guys that the Spurs will prioritize bc soon as Manu retires they need offensive players and ballhandlers in the bench and Garino is not that. He could be Austin bound or if he makes the team as the 15th guy will still be Austin bound and needs to develop his game.

kaji157
08-19-2016, 12:47 AM
You might be the one scratching your bottom TBH. Unplayable on defense shows ignorance and offensively he wasn't a shooter which made the pairing with Manu awkward bc Manu needs shooters around him that's no secret, but he's improved his shot a lot and is still younger than Garino.

I am hoping for the best for Garino, from the very beginning I stated he had a chance, but to assume he's better than Anderson even right now is really homerism, which frankly you can admit. Dude still needs to make the team to start and has the same uphill climb all rookies have. He's got a low ceiling as a 3-D roleplayer who is a bit older than other rookies. There's a reason he went undrafted and it can be seen in his limited game. Anderson is a lot more versatile on both ends, Simmons is a versatile offensive player and Bertans is the one who has a limited game, but he's such a pure shooter that Garino won't even come close. I have thought for a while he has a good chance based on his defensive hustle but he's not the better player of the 4 guys here.

I like you so I'll end it here. Let's see what happens.

SAGirl
08-19-2016, 01:16 AM
I like you so I'll end it here. Let's see what happens.

:toast :flag: To be fair from the very beginning I said he has a good shoot as his defense and BBIQ is evident and I think Spurs need that and JSimms himself is not standing on strong ground. I am not wishing him ill, but I also don't see him above the guys I cited above. If he makes the team and proves to be a contributor I won't be grumpy about it and if he doesn't it really is not my style to be bumping threads.

DAF86
08-19-2016, 02:01 AM
Do you want the truth? Here it comes:

Garino is fucking money on defense. He has the physical tools and mindset to be elite on that end. He also has a knack for getting offensive rebounds and lose balls.

The questions comes on offense. I know most of you have him as a 3 pt specialist, but the truth is that he wasn't particularly good at shooting 3's 'till a couple of years ago. And even now, he hesitates a lot to pull the trigger. He only takes wide ass open shots. Any semi-contested shot and he will get the ball out of his hands in a hurry. A good thing about him is that, unlike Danny Green, he has decent handles and can finish around the rim.

He's definitely worth a look. If Kawhi was able to develop into the shooter he is now, then Garino could easily become a pretty good 3 and D guy.

dabom
08-19-2016, 02:06 AM
Some good quality posting. :tu

r0drig0lac
08-19-2016, 06:04 AM

wut?

cutewizard
08-19-2016, 06:18 AM
defender....................hmmmm..............

kaji157
08-19-2016, 08:38 AM
:toast :flag: To be fair from the very beginning I said he has a good shoot as his defense and BBIQ is evident and I think Spurs need that and JSimms himself is not standing on strong ground. I am not wishing him ill, but I also don't see him above the guys I cited above. If he makes the team and proves to be a contributor I won't be grumpy about it and if he doesn't it really is not my style to be bumping threads.

The problem that i have with JSimms is that he doesnīt seem to have been able to understand the team culture at all. While Anderson has all the tools to play a Ginobili role, but with Manu here he wonīt be used much.
The only position up for the takes is the backup SF, and Garino and Bertans seems the ones going for it. Bertans is a play well or bust player and Garino seems more like a long term project.
But considering what the second unit will look like with Patty-Manu/Kyle-Garino/Bertans-Dedmon-Lee, that unit is clearly in more need of defense than scoring. And thatīs why i think Garino will be over Kyle and JSimms if Bertans doesnīt shoot lights out.

BackHome
08-19-2016, 09:18 AM
We lost because our Dunacan was hurt and Pop was using West as a center and we did not loose to Golden State we lost to OK. Need to get past OK and Clippers before GS.

look_at_g_shred
08-19-2016, 09:55 AM
wut?
by stacked I think he's referring to quantity not quality.

MaNu4Tres
08-19-2016, 12:25 PM
by stacked I think he's referring to quantity not quality.

I can confirm of this.

SAGirl
08-19-2016, 01:43 PM
The problem that i have with JSimms is that he doesnīt seem to have been able to understand the team culture at all. While Anderson has all the tools to play a Ginobili role, but with Manu here he wonīt be used much.
The only position up for the takes is the backup SF, and Garino and Bertans seems the ones going for it. Bertans is a play well or bust player and Garino seems more like a long term project.
But considering what the second unit will look like with Patty-Manu/Kyle-Garino/Bertans-Dedmon-Lee, that unit is clearly in more need of defense than scoring. And thatīs why i think Garino will be over Kyle and JSimms if Bertans doesnīt shoot lights out.

I agree with you but Spurs need to know what they have in JSimms b4 he hits FA. I don't think you are way off thinking Garino could end up being better, but that is going to require J.Simms to suck and I just chose to not discard him as a factor yet.

Anderson, I will allow my own favoritism glasses. He has a role, he was already a rotation player. As a 3rd season player with continuity, Spurs will probably want to continue to push Anderson in a progression path along, not back.

Bertans and Murray are rookies, they might be on even footing with Garino (just different talents and roles), but they are probably on different development paths, with Murray being very raw and young--neeeding a lot of dleague-- and Bertans just maybe needing a period of adjustment, but probably not much to develop as he's already a fairly developed player. Garino may need the dleague to make improvements in his own game and that is not humiliating.

hater
08-19-2016, 02:15 PM
Austin Daye after being driven home by JR Smith

T Park
08-19-2016, 02:54 PM
Austin Daye after being driven home by JR Smith

He's already got a better shot and way way better defender than Daye.