PDA

View Full Version : New Manu Column

kaji157
08-21-2016, 04:52 PM
I return full of heart

RIO DE JANEIRO I'm fine, happy. Happy to have had an experience like this. And more at this age, because it adds excitement. When you have 23 or 24 you do not take things the same way and don`t go beyond the significance of the result. But being here in the Olympics when I thought I was not going to be ... it's special. It was definitely an emotional day. The truth is that it was not all day like this, I was not thinking it was the last match with the national team all day. Yes I did at times, but it hit me when I left the court. When my colleagues began to hug me, people applauded and that was when I felt it. So many signs of affection and respect hit me hard and I could not contain the emotion anymore. The truth is that all that touched me.

In addition, there were gestures of peers and rivals that moved me a little. Because when a reporter makes asks them they are forced to say good things about you. But when they leave the usual ways to come and speak to you, to show their respect or appreciation for what you have done ... especially if it comes from players that you respect or have great careers. I felt so much affection that struck me. It's like falling on what happened a bit more. And the fans were moving. Beyond my particular situation, it was amazing, in general, throughout the tournament. A constant party, unconditional push for us when things were great and when they went difficult and ugly, like those it did the last two games. It was great that it happend in that context. So I am very grateful for all that energy brought to us in every game.

The truth is I hear everything that people say about what we left as a team and what I did in particular. It is not something i can realise today. Gradually, one will be able to take notice in different circumstances. But it is not me who should say what we did and how people see and respect us. No doubt,knowing we left something helps. Now, because i am retiring from International Competition, people tells me more about what we did, how they see us, and itīs very touching. There are times when I feel uncomfortable for that praise and other times when it helps a lot. They were very welcome. I return with my heart full of affection. You can leave champion or win a medal, but there are things that transcend that. And I think I can, and we can, be proud, those who were part of this whole cycle, to be respected and loved. And I feel that, besides winning, we represented 40,000,000 people who stayed at home, or 10 or 20 or those interested in the Olympics. That's what I value.

About my game, I am also satisfied, I overcame my physical expectations. I had some doubts, especially when I came to Las Vegas, because I did not know how or when it would heal my cufflink. I had not trained as wanted, but then I was gaining peace. I did not think I was going to be able to play as many minutes or that it was to contribute this much, so I'm happy. I could have played a little better? Well, yes, you can always play a little better. Could I have helped the team more? Surely. But I think generally I helped, and at times the team played well. Maybe not in a superlative level, but competed as a beast against all rivals, we fought with all but Spain and the United States, which today are undoubtedly not a step ahead of us but more than one, which made that we could not compete as equals ... I think it was a respectable championship in performance, perhaps surpassing the expectations we had at the time we met for the first time in Argentina.

Now the balance of the team (Argentina) will change, when, for example, a guy like Chapu (Nocioni) decides not to play anymore. Luckily for this process, especially for guys who are young, have two important leaders that remain, Luifa (Scola) and Carlos (Delfino), which in theory will continue playing. And it's good that way. And the truth is, weīve already seen how the team can react without me. Not without Chapu, because we had no way of knowing while he was active. This is the time to bloom for the rest of the team. In this tournament two key players had to have an increasingly prominent role, Facu (Campazzo) and Nico Laprovittola, but also Pato Garino, who is hungry and wants to have more and more court time and responsibilities. Perhaps the fact that Chapu and I were on the team prevented him of having the role he deserved or that would have allowed him to stand out more. But, hey, it's a natural process of replacement. And, no doubt, in every championship they will grow, gaining confidence and feeling that it is their team. No role players, but main guys. So I feel that it helped them play a championship of this magnitude. I now believe that the guys are ready, after a preparation as we did and the Olympic Games we played. It is an important step.

The good news is that the NBA begins much later than the European Championships and the Argentine. That gives me time to free up my mind of all the emotion. The preseason will start on September 25, so I have days to change the chip, relax the head, be with my family, regain time with my wife, take my kids to school, enjoy a mini vacation ... all this will ease my transition to a new NBA season. It will be a bit of rest and rehabilitation, because I have some bruises that I want to heal before I start working with the team. But I knew what I was exposing myself to and I did it with pleasure, with lotīs of pleasure. And that it is possibly my last participation in the NBA too makes me think short term, day by day, as I do lately. And I think it will be easy to put together the excitement and energy for maybe, like this one in the NT, the last experience of my career in the NBA.

Full Article here in Spanish: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1929622-me-vuelvo-con-el-corazon-bien-lleno

ElNono
08-21-2016, 06:09 PM
Thanks OP, I'm on vacations ATM, tbh.. :tu

BillMc
08-21-2016, 06:17 PM
THanks OP!:bobo

Spur|n|Austin
08-21-2016, 06:25 PM
:tu

Manu's the man

spurs10
08-21-2016, 07:23 PM
Thanks for this translation OP! I'm sure he was joking with his comment about "the last experience of my career in the NBA." Surely a joke...?? :cry
:flag:

Uriel
08-21-2016, 09:59 PM
Welp, looks like this really is Manu's last season.

SAGirl
08-21-2016, 10:24 PM
Thanks Kaji. :flag:It's going to be an emotional season.

lil'mo
08-21-2016, 10:26 PM
Why even waste our time with a google translation :rolleyes

kaji157
08-21-2016, 11:12 PM
Why even waste our time with a google translation :rolleyes

It is not a google translation my dear.

lil'mo
08-22-2016, 08:41 AM
It is not a google translation my dear.

so you just suck at translating?

dabom
08-22-2016, 08:51 AM
so you just suck at translating?

Cool dude. I'll wait for your version...

lil'mo
08-22-2016, 08:54 AM
Cool dude. I'll wait for your version...

K hold your breath

dabom
08-22-2016, 08:55 AM
Waiting...

From Downtown
08-22-2016, 09:13 AM
Thanks a lot mate, mistakes or not taking your time to translate and share with us is always appreciated :toast

kaji157
08-22-2016, 09:43 AM
Thanks a lot mate, mistakes or not taking your time to translate and share with us is always appreciated :toast

Itīs a really rare manu column because he is usually very well spoken but in this one he used a lot of argentinean "slang" if you want. So at some times i had to improvise a bit to not be repetitive. Manu uses the term "me cayo la ficha" like 4 times, which doesnīt have a direct translation, it would be something like "it hit me when i saw the crowd". But it is not exactly that.

The column is more emotional than other.

TheGreatYacht
08-22-2016, 10:27 AM
Retire already, tosb

Spur-Addict
08-22-2016, 04:29 PM
Feels like the last season, wouldn't be a bad thing either. It's time to turn the page, and Tony really needs to head to the bench. Manu leaving would hopefully expedite that process. While finding a player even at his current level would be somewhat hard to replace (especially in regards to team cohesiveness), we have two young guys in particular who need to get more integrated into the future trajectory of this program. One of which who will have a more substantial role regardless.

hater
08-22-2016, 04:38 PM
Retire already, tosb

He wont. He's that selfish

wildbill2u
08-22-2016, 06:10 PM
Manu is unusual in that he is willing and able to share his emotions about the game, the fans, the other players and his team mates --and the prospect of an end to his career--as such a mature and character driven man. Think of all the great players who have never been able--or willing--to give all that emotional information to the fans. One of a kind.

beirmeistr
08-22-2016, 07:03 PM
I think Manu will take one year at a time. this may be his last year, but maybe not.

gambit1990
08-22-2016, 08:05 PM
i can't imagine manu on the court after this season...

DarrinS
08-22-2016, 10:09 PM
Thank you Manu and Kawhi for 2014, for those moments when TP shriveled.

It's weird how many crucial playoff situations TP was NOT in the floor.

apalisoc_9
08-22-2016, 10:14 PM
Thank you Manu and Kawhi for 2014, for those moments when TP shriveled.

It's weird how many crucial playoff situations TP was NOT in the floor.

DarrinS
08-22-2016, 10:51 PM
Or, ON the floor, I should've said.

dabom
08-22-2016, 10:56 PM
Or, ON the floor, I should've said.

Dude was eating pastries ON the bench...

benfti
08-23-2016, 08:30 AM
Retire already, tosb I hope he plays for another 5' just for the explicit purpose of pissing you off.

urunobili
08-23-2016, 11:42 AM
As y'all sore grey crew + hater bitch about things, he is bathing in luxury (well earned) and his entitlement deserved from his star status...

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/r/GODO/MD/p3/Polideportivo/Imagenes/2016/08/23/Recortada/img_lbaquero_20160823-144243_imagenes_md_otras_fuentes_genobil-kSVF-U404150735962V4H-980x554@MundoDeportivo-Web.JPG