PDA

View Full Version : Spurs player stats from the 2016 Olympics

Dex
08-21-2016, 06:42 PM
https://i.redd.it/heg9yf3nxsgx.png

Patty Mills 21.3 Pts / 1.7 Ass / 1.6 Reb - Eff 15

-Patty was very aggressive, as he had to be as one of Australia's main scorers. The Tasmanian Devil shot the ball 16 times a game, connecting on 62.7% of 2-pointers and 34.4% from three.
-Despite solid scoring numbers, Patty didn't contribute much to any other stats and turned the ball over twice a game, which explains his moderate Eff. rating even though he was probably the most solid player on his squad.
-As for Australia, big disappointment for them. They came in as a solid team with an NBA nucleus, and were hailed as being one of the few challengers to USA, but the rematch everyone was waiting for didn't happen because AUS didn't take care of business against Serbia. Thus goes elimination tournaments.

Manu Ginobili 15 Pts / 3.5 Ass / 3 Reb - Eff 13.5

-In Manu's Olympic retirement tour, the old veteran put up solid stats. If he could contribute 15, 3.5, and 3 in 26 minutes for the Spurs off the bench every night, I think we all would gladly take it.
-Manu's Eff. rating wasn't spectacular at 13.5, but if we are looking at the bright side...he had the lowest turnover rate of anybody on the list at 0.4 per game.
-Watching Manu tear up and walk away from his exit interview after his final game hit me right in the Spurs feels.

Tony Parker 13.2 Pts / 3.8 Ass / 1.2 Reb - Eff 13

-Similarly, Parker's stats were decent, even if they weren't eye-popping. He shot well from the field (51.2%) and was the best performer from the FT stripe (90%), a place where others on this list seemed to struggle.
-Despite what seems like solid production, Parker had the second lowest Eff. and it seemed, at times, like France is already on their way to phasing him out. Parker played the fewest minutes of anybody on the list (22.7 MPG) and was even "rested" for a game.
-The Tony Parker era is officially over in France, but he deserves credit for helping to put them on the map. Now we all wait to see how he will adjust to his changing role in San Antonio.

Pau Gasol 19.5 Pts / 2.2 Ass / 8.9 Reb - Eff 23.1 :wow

-...more like Wow Gasol amirite? The old Spaniard can obviously still play and was a huge force for a Spain team missing his brother Marc and Serge Ibaka inside. Pau didn't play well against the USA and missed some baskets he usually hits, but came back with a vengeance to carry his team to the bronze against a solid Australian frontline (Baynes and Bogut).
-One thing that really stands out is his shooting from distance...52.2% on 3 attempts a game. I don't expect that will be a focus of his game with the Spurs, but having a big who can at least act as a threat from the perimeter is only going to open up more space for Kawhi, Aldridge, and the gang.
-60% from the FT line including two chokes against Brazil? He truly is a already a Spur.

Patricio Garino 6.3 Pts / 0.5 Ass / 3.2 Reb - Eff 8.3

-Garino put up fairly pedestrian stats considering how much time he spent on the floor (24.8 MPG). He had the lowest Efficiency rating of any of the Spurs players, but that is not completely a surprise. He is still raw and the youngest of a group who are already solid NBA veterans.
-That being said, he showed why he is on the Spurs radar. He has good athleticism, solid instincts, and can slash well. He needs to work on his jumper, avoid fouls, and clean up his defensive game, but if he can fine-tune those things, he could become a very poor man's Manu.

Congrats to team USA on bringing home the gold and to Pau for another Olympic medal. Australia kinda got screwed and are going home without a medal on a bullshit foul against Spain. I believe they were the superior team to Serbia and would have put up a better fight against the US, but they didn't show up when it mattered.

Uriel
08-21-2016, 10:01 PM
Thanks, OP :tu

gambit1990
08-21-2016, 10:09 PM
good post :tu

a couple other notes of interest:

parker averaging 3.8 assists :lmao and 1.6 turnovers for a 2.4 assist to turnover ratio...

manu averaging 3.5 assists and .2 turnovers for a 21.0 assist to turnover ratio :wow:wow:wow

:wow

pau among all players: #4 in scoring, #1 in rebounding, #2 in blocked shots, #1 in efficiency, #1 in double doubles...

SAGirl
08-21-2016, 10:16 PM
:flag:

Very, very nice post. Thanks. :tu

gambit1990
08-21-2016, 10:28 PM
tbh... what's telling is that this was parker's last run in international play... and he only played 22 minutes a game and sat out a game. and that was the game france only lost by 3 against the us.

team france phasing parker out the way the spurs haven't yet. the shot parker made what would be the game winner... his ass was on the bench in most of the second half while de colo carried them.

DeRozan m8
08-21-2016, 10:31 PM
So Gasol is the only one that can shoot from 3 it seems.

dylankerouac
08-21-2016, 10:59 PM
Thanks for this OP.

cutewizard
08-21-2016, 11:09 PM
thanks man!

BillMc
08-22-2016, 12:44 AM
Nice post OP!

Sean Cagney
08-22-2016, 02:18 AM
I liked what I saw form Gasol and Patty in the Olympics but heads always show big in the Olympics and get up for it for their country, will it carry over? For Gasol I know it will but Patty? I hope he found his confidence again. Good post OP as others said.

apalisoc_9
08-22-2016, 02:32 AM
Damn..Tony can't even perform agaibst trash euros...Very concerning.

Pocho La Pantera
08-22-2016, 06:20 AM
Nice post.

From Downtown
08-22-2016, 06:43 AM
I had no doubts about Pau before the Olympics, so nothing to see here
Patty didn't show any big improvements in playmaking, with Dell playing the Manu role, but he confirmed himself as a really good scorer and 3 point shooter, I hope this form can carry into next season, we need 2014 Patty
Tony was alright, quite efficient with a couple of vintage Tony sightings here and there, his role wasn't as big as it used to be obviously as they had to start building for the future, but I didn't mind him at all (Batum was faaaar worse for instance) and I'm still optimistic about what he can do next season
Pato is still raw, especially offensively, but looks nice on defense, he could be a diamond in the rough, he showed flashes of good offensive action and decision making on O despite being too passive at times
Manu was maybe better than expected, he had problems with 3 point shooting in a couple of games (mainly Brazil) and free throws, but could get into the lane, played good D and with energy and assisted well, I was particularly happy with his lack of turnovers, that was surprising

TheDoctor
08-22-2016, 07:19 AM
Great post OP :toast

Play Boban
08-22-2016, 07:27 AM
Damn..Tony can't even perform agaibst trash euros...Very concerning.
And he was too scared to go up against the Americans, so he "rested." :lol

bklynspursfan
08-22-2016, 09:04 AM
Can't even have a summary of the olympics without these clowns coming in with their hate smh.

Thanks for sharing Op... Training camp is right around the corner

TheGreatYacht
08-22-2016, 10:30 AM
Mills better not play point guard. Ever :lol pathetic

GSH
08-22-2016, 11:43 AM
-60% from the FT line including two chokes against Brazil? He truly is a already a Spur.

Congrats to team USA on bringing home the gold and to Pau for another Olympic medal. Australia kinda got screwed and are going home without a medal on a bullshit foul against Spain. I believe they were the superior team to Serbia and would have put up a better fight against the US, but they didn't show up when it mattered.

Nice post, Dex. Good information, but also well put together and easy to read. Thanks for taking the time.

Shooting 60% from the FT line does sort of make Gasol a Spur already. :lol The good news, and it's really good news, is that he went to the line 40 times! To me it's always a sign that a guy is dominating his defenders when they are forced to foul him that much. It's a good omen for the level of ball he's still capable of playing.

Showing up when it matters is sort of a big thing. Of course that's not all on Patty, but some of it is. That's been a question mark about him. Four turnovers in those two games against Serbia and Spain isn't that bad, considering he averaged 35 minutes against those two, and they were both good teams. (Hell, we've seen Spurs players with that many in a single quarter.) The question is whether he can be solid in crunch time - like, say, that second game against Serbia. He really struggled when Serbia got physical.

dabom
08-22-2016, 12:18 PM
Nice post, Dex. Good information, but also well put together and easy to read. Thanks for taking the time.

Shooting 60% from the FT line does sort of make Gasol a Spur already. :lol The good news, and it's really good news, is that he went to the line 40 times! To me it's always a sign that a guy is dominating his defenders when they are forced to foul him that much. It's a good omen for the level of ball he's still capable of playing.

Showing up when it matters is sort of a big thing. Of course that's not all on Patty, but some of it is. That's been a question mark about him. Four turnovers in those two games against Serbia and Spain isn't that bad, considering he averaged 35 minutes against those two, and they were both good teams. (Hell, we've seen Spurs players with that many in a single quarter.) The question is whether he can be solid in crunch time - like, say, that second game against Serbia. He really struggled when Serbia got physical.

Have you seen his playoff shooting percentages? And I'm talking about the one that interprets the 3point line as a 2point shot? Tell me what you see.

gambit1990
08-22-2016, 01:22 PM
Can't even have a summary of the olympics without these clowns coming in with their hate smh.

Thanks for sharing Op... Training camp is right around the corner
posters here are responding to the information in the original post. i guess parker not doing so great doesn't fit your agenda.

dabom
08-22-2016, 01:24 PM
posters here are responding to the information in the original post. i guess parker not doing so great doesn't fit your agenda.

:lol

Sean Cagney
08-22-2016, 02:14 PM
Mills better not play point guard. Ever :lol pathetic

Man, some want Tony off the team and don't care if he starts. That would be a real disaster with him at PG, I agree.

bklynspursfan
08-22-2016, 02:32 PM

I don't have an agenda. I'm a Spurs fan of 25+years, not a player fan like most on here.

My only agenda is supporting this team and not using every thread to bash our players. Nice try

J_Paco
08-22-2016, 03:08 PM
Everyone played about where I expected. Hopefully everyone can rest up and be ready for camp in another month.

TheGreatYacht
08-22-2016, 03:59 PM
Man, some want Tony off the team and don't care if he starts. That would be a real disaster with him at PG, I agree.
1 fucking assist in 30 minutes. Wow :lol

Those same retards want Kiwi to handle the ball more, even though he still hasn't developed handles or a passing game lmao

phxspurfan
08-22-2016, 05:41 PM
I'm encouraged by the Gasol sighting.

I'm discouraged by how bad Garino was.

But then again, it's the Olympics so random good guys and a bunch of dudes who play in China and Euroleagues

Spur|n|Austin
08-22-2016, 06:15 PM
Good stuff Dex - cheers!

Dex
08-23-2016, 12:05 AM

Bingo bango.

I appreciate Tony for all that he has done, but we can all agree that he is not the player he used to be. There are certainly better point guard options out there...but none of them are available at this point in time, and they are certainly not already on the Spurs roster.

Mills is great, but like Manu...his play doesn't fit with the starting unit. Coming off the bench gives him freedom to play to his strength, which is a green light to shoot.

For all his faults, Parker knows the system, can run the offense, and at least acts like a threat as a scorer. He could afford to take his aggressiveness back a bit, but hey...nobody is perfect. Unless Murray can breakout in a similar fashion to the way Tony did, Parker is the best knife to bring to a gun fight that we have.

dabom
08-23-2016, 12:08 AM
Bingo bango.

I appreciate Tony for all that he has done, but we can all agree that he is not the player he used to be. There are certainly better point guard options out there...but none of them are available at this point in time, and they are certainly not already on the Spurs roster.

Mills is great, but like Manu...his play doesn't fit with the starting unit. Coming off the bench gives him freedom to play to his strength, which is a green light to shoot.

For all his faults, Parker knows the system, can run the offense, and at least acts like a threat as a scorer. He could afford to take his aggressiveness back a bit, but hey...nobody is perfect. Unless Murray can breakout in a similar fashion to the way Tony did, Parker is the best knife to bring to a gun fight that we have.

More like a reverse shotgun. :lol

james evans
08-23-2016, 09:55 AM
And he was too scared to go up against the Americans, so he "rested." :lol
yeah that bitch was scared. He knew they were gonna go at him as they have all season so he "rested". I'm not shocked one bit.

dabom
08-23-2016, 09:59 AM
yeah that bitch was scared. He knew they were gonna go at him as they have all season so he "rested". I'm not shocked one bit.

Didn't have Kawhi to save his ass. :lol

SASdynasty!
08-23-2016, 10:03 AM
Tony with a higher BPM than Ginobili or Mills. Why leave Tony being a better net positive than the others out of the analysis, especially for you "advanced" stats guys or the fact that he hit the game winner against the silver medal team? Oh right, it doesn't fit the agenda.

dabom
08-23-2016, 10:05 AM
So for argument's sake. You believe in advance stats now? If not, why bring it up. You just defeated everything you defended about Tony. :lol :tu

rastaspur
08-23-2016, 10:08 AM
After watching garino's olympic performances i would prefer that he gets cut in training camp and allocated to the toros. I wouldnt tie up the 15th spot for him at this point. A really good training camp is needed for me to change my opinion.

He can become a rotational player with some more development. Just think he has a year or more work to put in to stick in the league.

In his defense though, they just parked him in the corner for the most part and wasnt really included or involved in the offense by design it seemed, so maybe he can show more of his skills in the training camp environment. That was a fairwell tour for delfino, nocioni, scola and manu and it showed. Delfino was garbage for the most part.

SASdynasty!
08-23-2016, 10:46 AM
So for argument's sake. You believe in advance stats now? If not, why bring it up. You just defeated everything you defended about Tony. :lol :tu
No, I think +/- is misleading, especially when comparing starters and bench players. The reason I bring it up is to show that because there are so many advanced stats, you can pretty much argue any combination of them to support whatever narrative you want to assert. In this case, BPM was left off because it didn't fit the agenda and so raw stats were used. In other cases (when Ginobili & Mills have bad raw stats), certain advanced stats are used.

dabom
08-23-2016, 10:47 AM
No, I think +/- is misleading, especially when comparing starters and bench players. The reason I bring it up is to show that because there are so many advanced stats, you can pretty much argue any combination of them to support whatever narrative you want to assert. In this case, BPM was left off because it didn't fit the agenda and so raw stats were used. In other cases (when Ginobili & Mills have bad raw stats), certain advanced stats are used.

I take that back. Average plus minus is not an advance stats. It doesn't take into account anything really.

dabom
08-23-2016, 10:48 AM
I don't think Dex is trying to mislead anyone. You are welcome to interpret what you see.

dabom
08-23-2016, 10:50 AM
Using raw totals porker was terrible compared to Patty Thrills .

SASdynasty!
08-23-2016, 10:57 AM
I don't think Dex is trying to mislead anyone. You are welcome to interpret what you see.
I agree it is a pretty fair analysis outside of not mentioning Parker's game winner against the silver medal team in his analysis or being the best player for France while DeColo chucked.

SASdynasty!
08-23-2016, 10:58 AM
Using raw totals porker was terrible compared to Patty Thrills .
Not really when you consider Patty didn't have any assists and shot worse than Parker from the field. He did have more PPG though.

dabom
08-23-2016, 11:01 AM
Not really when you consider Patty didn't have any assists and shot worse than Parker from the field. He did have more PPG though.

If you use ts% patty probably shot better.

And Patty wrecked France while Parker was trash.

Perry Mason
08-23-2016, 11:05 AM
Don't understand the TP haters. Guy had good stats and played very solid, good even, for his minutes and in light of his age and expectations. He played within himself, which is exactly what the Spurs need.

But I have since figured out the crew is comprised of ignorant and autistic millennial posters who haven't read a book in their lives, so it makes sense.

gambit1990
08-23-2016, 12:08 PM
if you're gonna compare mills and parker... keep in mind:

-patty dropped 30 on 50% shooting against the best competition (the us)
-tony sat out the game against the us

-one of tony's better games was against some of the worst competition (venezuela)
-patty sat out the game against venezuela

SASdynasty!
08-23-2016, 01:30 PM
Don't understand the TP haters. Guy had good stats and played very solid, good even, for his minutes and in light of his age and expectations. He played within himself, which is exactly what the Spurs need.

But I have since figured out the crew is comprised of ignorant and autistic millennial posters who haven't read a book in their lives, so it makes sense.
Top 5 poster tbh

Dex
08-23-2016, 01:59 PM
I agree it is a pretty fair analysis outside of not mentioning Parker's game winner against the silver medal team in his analysis or being the best player for France while DeColo chucked.

I'm one of the few Parker defenders still around here, and I also felt my analysis was pretty fair. I mentioned that he was pretty good in the time he spent on the floor, but his role is definitely diminishing for France and there is a reason for that. If Parker were still the player he used to be, he would've played more than 22 minutes per game.

However, he did play within himself and was a net positive for his team, and that's all that any reasonable Spurs fan would ask for from Tony this season.

I did neglect to mention the game-winner against Serbia, which was super clutch and bailed out France after a poor and broken possession. Parker does have the ability to hit clutch shots as we've seen in the past, and that is to his credit. However, that game was far from perfect...if Parker HADN'T hit that shot, he would've finished the game with 4 points, 2 assists, and 3 turnovers. He also threw an ill-advised and poor lob pass to Batum in the waning seconds that gave Serbia one last gasp when he should've just ran out the clock.

All told, I'm not trying to tout any agenda....just making the observations that came to me.

Dex
08-23-2016, 03:21 PM

:bobo

SnakeBoy
08-23-2016, 03:48 PM
Patty shooting 3's under 35% and Manu even worse is not a good sign.

dabom
08-23-2016, 03:51 PM
Patty shooting 3's under 35% and Manu even worse is not a good sign.

Porker shooting in the playoffs is trash compared to Patty. Hit me up with the ts% average the last 3 years. K thanks. :lmao

You Enrique fans. :lol

dabom
08-23-2016, 03:55 PM
:bobo

Thanks for hitting us up with some knowledge. :tu

hater
08-23-2016, 05:27 PM
zero shot at anything

illusioNtEk
08-23-2016, 09:49 PM
Rack him

gj DEX

DAF86
08-23-2016, 10:43 PM
https://i.redd.it/heg9yf3nxsgx.png

Patty Mills 21.3 Pts / 1.7 Ass / 1.6 Reb - Eff 15

-Patty was very aggressive, as he had to be as one of Australia's main scorers. The Tasmanian Devil shot the ball 16 times a game, connecting on 62.7% of 2-pointers and 34.4% from three.
-Despite solid scoring numbers, Patty didn't contribute much to any other stats and turned the ball over twice a game, which explains his moderate Eff. rating even though he was probably the most solid player on his squad.
-As for Australia, big disappointment for them. They came in as a solid team with an NBA nucleus, and were hailed as being one of the few challengers to USA, but the rematch everyone was waiting for didn't happen because AUS didn't take care of business against Serbia. Thus goes elimination tournaments.

Manu Ginobili 15 Pts / 3.5 Ass / 3 Reb - Eff 13.5

-In Manu's Olympic retirement tour, the old veteran put up solid stats. If he could contribute 15, 3.5, and 3 in 26 minutes for the Spurs off the bench every night, I think we all would gladly take it.
-Manu's Eff. rating wasn't spectacular at 13.5, but if we are looking at the bright side...he had the lowest turnover rate of anybody on the list at 0.4 per game.
-Watching Manu tear up and walk away from his exit interview after his final game hit me right in the Spurs feels.

Tony Parker 13.2 Pts / 3.8 Ass / 1.2 Reb - Eff 13

-Similarly, Parker's stats were decent, even if they weren't eye-popping. He shot well from the field (51.2%) and was the best performer from the FT stripe (90%), a place where others on this list seemed to struggle.
-Despite what seems like solid production, Parker had the second lowest Eff. and it seemed, at times, like France is already on their way to phasing him out. Parker played the fewest minutes of anybody on the list (22.7 MPG) and was even "rested" for a game.
-The Tony Parker era is officially over in France, but he deserves credit for helping to put them on the map. Now we all wait to see how he will adjust to his changing role in San Antonio.

-...more like Wow Gasol amirite? The old Spaniard can obviously still play and was a huge force for a Spain team missing his brother Marc and Serge Ibaka inside. Pau didn't play well against the USA and missed some baskets he usually hits, but came back with a vengeance to carry his team to the bronze against a solid Australian frontline (Baynes and Bogut).
-One thing that really stands out is his shooting from distance...52.2% on 3 attempts a game. I don't expect that will be a focus of his game with the Spurs, but having a big who can at least act as a threat from the perimeter is only going to open up more space for Kawhi, Aldridge, and the gang.

Patricio Garino 6.3 Pts / 0.5 Ass / 3.2 Reb - Eff 8.3

-Garino put up fairly pedestrian stats considering how much time he spent on the floor (24.8 MPG). He had the lowest Efficiency rating of any of the Spurs players, but that is not completely a surprise. He is still raw and the youngest of a group who are already solid NBA veterans.
-That being said, he showed why he is on the Spurs radar. He has good athleticism, solid instincts, and can slash well. He needs to work on his jumper, avoid fouls, and clean up his defensive game, but if he can fine-tune those things, he could become a very poor man's Manu.

What? :lol

Thanks for the info son, was interested on it. :tu

But that part I bolded... Just no. :lol

Garino has no chance of becoming a poor man's Manu, nor that's the Spurs FO's intentions, tbh. They signed him to see if they can turn him into a viable 3-and-D NBA guy, nothing more. Folks expecting some kind of playmaking Wing will be very dissapointed. He's a defensive minded guy with a nice looking stroke (that still shows room for improvement). His ceiling is a Bruce Bowen, Danny Green type player. That's also why his eff number don't do justice to all his contributions.

GSH
08-23-2016, 10:54 PM
After watching garino's olympic performances i would prefer that he gets cut in training camp and allocated to the toros. I wouldnt tie up the 15th spot for him at this point. A really good training camp is needed for me to change my opinion.

He can become a rotational player with some more development. Just think he has a year or more work to put in to stick in the league.

In his defense though, they just parked him in the corner for the most part and wasnt really included or involved in the offense by design it seemed, so maybe he can show more of his skills in the training camp environment.

If it's a choice between him at the 15th spot, and Bonner? Welcome aboard, Pato.

I don't think anyone has any huge expectations for him, and he probably will spend the year in Austin. But if he can keep stroking 3's at aroung 40%, he's got a shot at playing somewhere. He's 6'6" and has a 6'10" wingspan. That should help him on the defensive end. So if he can learn to play adequate defense, and hide out beyond the arc and shoot 3's at a decent clip? There are worse guys to have on the bench.

Of course, shooting 3's gets a lot harder once the other teams have had a chance to scout. Just ask Danny Green.

gambit1990
08-23-2016, 11:05 PM
Garino has no chance of becoming a poor man's Manu, nor that's the Spurs FO's intentions, tbh. They signed him to see if they can turn him into a viable 3-and-D NBA guy, nothing more. Folks expecting some kind of playmaking Wing will be very dissapointed. He's a defensive minded guy with a nice looking stroke (that still shows room for improvement). His ceiling is a Bruce Bowen, Danny Green type player. That's also why his eff number don't do justice to all his contributions.
i glossed over what dex had to say about garino but i agree with you. him becoming a poor man's manu is... not what will happen. he's not that kind of player. they did sign him to see if he can be a 3 and d guy, like you said.

YGWHI
08-24-2016, 12:50 AM
Obviously, he doesn't mention Parker because he's part of the "autistic/ignorant crew" who criticizes Parker "for no reason."

cutewizard
08-24-2016, 03:43 AM
im totally excited!

cutewizard
08-24-2016, 04:02 AM
Australia is going to be super strong in the 2020 Olympics!!!!

Ben Simmons, Thon Maker and Dante Exuum is a hell of a nucleus...............!