PDA

View Full Version : Zach Lowe Podcast topic: Manu

SAGirl
08-23-2016, 06:07 PM
He interviews Brett Brown.
There is a lot of interest about Manu from Brown's perspective.
http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=17347896

SAGirl
08-23-2016, 07:04 PM
I don't know if it's proper to start a farewell retirement tour thread for the entire season of Manu this year. I know he's not necessarily retiring, but it's likely and he doesn't exactly have a church of Manu to dump links about him. Right now they have all been spread out in different threads, articles, tweets, videos,etc. Just thinking about it's better to have all that stuff together in a manu thread and asking what you all think.

And this is not another Tony vs. Manu thread. Here is how Spurs feel about both from their tweet feed:

Saying good bye to international competition:

tonight...you
08-23-2016, 07:44 PM
The slow disintegration of the Golden Age of the San Antonio Spurs is happening finally. For two decades this team from no-nothing San Antonio put a nigh choke-hold on sports success, with pundits and peers and fans alike proclaiming the death knell over and over, knowing, just knowing that such success cannot be sustained. But they did. Year after year. This team... So much exhilaration. So much heart-break. But even heartbreak should be celebrated because your team got themselves in position to do something Great and it didn't happen. Better than every other fan's enjoyment over the past few. The journey has been incredible and what's insane is it hasn't ended yet! Kawhi, LMA, Pau, the young guys... hopefully a rejuvenated Pop:

This train keeps rolling.

SAGirl
08-23-2016, 09:11 PM
The slow disintegration of the Golden Age of the San Antonio Spurs is happening finally. For two decades this team from no-nothing San Antonio put a nigh choke-hold on sports success, with pundits and peers and fans alike proclaiming the death knell over and over, knowing, just knowing that such success cannot be sustained. But they did. Year after year. This team... So much exhilaration. So much heart-break. But even heartbreak should be celebrated because your team got themselves in position to do something Great and it didn't happen. Better than every other fan's enjoyment over the past few. The journey has been incredible and what's insane is it hasn't ended yet! Kawhi, LMA, Pau, the young guys... hopefully a rejuvenated Pop:

This train keeps rolling.

The podcast was almost as good as the article and kind of follows up on that note but to hear it from the voice of Brown was specially interesting. I suspect whether Manu wants to or not he's going to get a kind of farewell tour. The media are already talking about him in the context of Rio, but the foretelling signs are there.

One can still feel the legacy Tim and Manu have left for the younger players though and it's really going to be emotional to not see Tim next season. I can't imagine how it is for the actual Spurs and staff. I just hope Pop can adapt. He has adapted a lot but has always had his franchise core group and the identity of those guys has been slowly changing but not quite. Now the guys are definitely different that he has to build around, and it's a balance to get everyone in a role they can do well, while also allowing younger guys to grow in roles and show what they have. But that topic distracts from Manu's greatness. The podcast interview was very good.

spurs10
08-23-2016, 09:48 PM
The podcast was almost as good as the article and kind of follows up on that note but to hear it from the voice of Brown was specially interesting. I suspect whether Manu wants to or not he's going to get a kind of farewell tour. The media are already talking about him in the context of Rio, but the foretelling signs are there.

One can still feel the legacy Tim and Manu have left for the younger players though and it's really going to be emotional to not see Tim next season. I can't imagine how it is for the actual Spurs and staff. I just hope Pop can adapt. He has adapted a lot but has always had his franchise core group and the identity of those guys has been slowly changing but not quite. Now the guys are definitely different that he has to build around, and it's a balance to get everyone in a role they can do well, while also allowing younger guys to grow in roles and show what they have. But that topic distracts from Manu's greatness. The podcast interview was very good. I will listen to the podcast tonight. Thanks for recommending. It will indeed be emotional not seeing Tim on opening night. I do believe this season will be often seen as a victory lap for Manu by many. I'm sure he just wants to play and doesn't want all the attention, but he'll be getting quite a bit nonetheless. Starting a thread for this is a good idea. Him not saying 'this is it' makes it difficult, but so what if the thread goes for two seasons.

gambit1990
08-23-2016, 09:49 PM
practice footage of bowen vs ginobili would be awesome.

SAGirl
08-23-2016, 10:19 PM
practice footage of bowen vs ginobili would be awesome.

Did you even listen to it? Brown talks about team Australia and Patty there too. He thinks Patty has a chance to be starting for the Spurs (in his opinion)... that also adds to the topic of Pop in a way moving on and forward with younger guys .. just didn't mention it as this thread is about Manu, but it's really all intertwined. I think Patty in a way is in the bench to help Manu out too. Patty is a natural scorer. I think without Patty, Manu won't be as efficient, but maybe by the time Manu retires, there will be changes in the lineup. Murray becoming a factor is something else to take into account and not discussed there by Brown.

This season and the next there should be a melting pot of young guys developing and Patty could grow in role.

dabom
08-23-2016, 10:21 PM
Did you even listen to it? Brown talks about team Australia and Patty there too. He thinks Patty has a chance to be starting for the Spurs (in his opinion)... that also adds to the topic of Pop in a way moving on and forward with younger guys .. just didn't mention it as this thread is about Manu, but it's really all intertwined. I think Patty in a way is in the bench to help Manu out too. Patty is a natural scorer. I think without Patty, Manu won't be as efficient, but maybe by the time Manu retires, there will be changes in the lineup. Murray becoming a factor is something else to take into account and not discussed there by Brown.

This season and the next there should be a melting pot of young guys developing and Patty could grow in role.

Give us some sound bite tabs. Don't wanna listen to 40 whole mins...

gambit1990
08-23-2016, 10:31 PM

i stopped listening after the manu part was over tbh. shoulda known better since brown has those aussie ties i guess.

gambit1990
08-23-2016, 10:34 PM
why did lowe stick with espn instead of bill simmons? contractual obligations? they giving him big money?

dabom
08-23-2016, 10:51 PM
why did lowe stick with espn instead of bill simmons? contractual obligations? they giving him big money?

I'm guessing he knows he can grow his name quicker without all those other people and ESPN would groom him for the future? Just a stab.

SAGirl
08-23-2016, 11:18 PM
Give us some sound bite tabs. Don't wanna listen to 40 whole mins...

ohhh you will find the time, the biggest part is about Manu and anecdotes... the last maybe 10 minutes he talks about team Australia. He was asked straight up if he thought Patty could start and Brown said yes, but he also said that the way the guys in SA are, he's not sure Patty even cares about that or any of the other guys either. To me it sounded like Brown has absolute confidence in Patty's abilities but he also knows the SA Spurs guys don't quarrel over roles. He did say clearly, that was in his opinion.

dabom
08-23-2016, 11:28 PM
Thanks gonna listen to the whole thing now.

gambit1990
08-23-2016, 11:50 PM
lowe: do you think patty has a chance to start in san antonio?
brown: i do. yeah, i do.

YGWHI
08-24-2016, 12:33 AM
Saying good bye to international competition:

Love this...

SAGirl
08-24-2016, 12:57 AM
I will listen to the podcast tonight. Thanks for recommending. It will indeed be emotional not seeing Tim on opening night. I do believe this season will be often seen as a victory lap for Manu by many. I'm sure he just wants to play and doesn't want all the attention, but he'll be getting quite a bit nonetheless. Starting a thread for this is a good idea. Him not saying 'this is it' makes it difficult, but so what if the thread goes for two seasons.
Good point! It doesn't matter if it goes on for more than a season. He's due soon to retire and its better to have the tread as a homage. Tim didn't have one and when a few of us started getting the gist it was the farewell tour bc he was hurt and still trying to get back to form and we all as fans hoped he would it wasn't appropriate. It would not have been a celebratory thread and would have invited bickering back an forth over whether the point was to proclaim him done or not... Manu being so gracious in accepting admiration as one part of his career draws close and Tim having already retired, the idea is to rweally celebrate and acknowledge Manu as he embarks on this season. I suspect there will be some media and and emotional moments to share.

We can just bump this thread no need to title a farewell tour thread (just gets ppl sad) better to just continue to share interesting tidbits we find.

spurs10
08-24-2016, 01:16 AM
Good point! It doesn't matter if it goes on for more than a season. He's due soon to retire and its better to have the tread as a homage. Tim didn't have one and when a few of us started getting the gist it was the farewell tour bc he was hurt and still trying to get back to form and we all as fans hoped he would it wasn't appropriate. It would not have been a celebratory thread and would have invited bickering back an forth over whether the point was to proclaim him done or not... Manu being so gracious in accepting admiration as one part of his career draws close and Tim having already retired, the idea is to rweally celebrate and acknowledge Manu as he embarks on this season. I suspect there will be some media and and emotional moments to share.

We can just bump this thread no need to title a farewell tour thread (just gets ppl sad) better to just continue to share interesting tidbits we find. Yeah I was getting pretty emotional just reading this! :lol Truth is we are all very fortunate to have had people of high character like Manu and Tim to get behind for all these years. It might not bring world peace, but it has brought a lot of happiness to my home. Good thread!

FromWayDowntown
08-24-2016, 09:19 AM
Lowe's turning Manu discussion into a cottage industry. Along with his fantastic piece on Manu, he's now gone into some depth with several people about things that didn't make the piece and said during this last podcast that he's hoping to get Brent Barry on in the future to talk at further length about Manu. It makes me wonder if Lowe isn't contemplating something much bigger about Manu -- a book or something of that sort.

In some ways, Manu might be the least accomplished of the Spurs' Big 3 (at least from an NBA perspective) but he's almost certainly the most widely beloved (and, ironically, the most widely despised) and may be the most interesting, too. I've long admired Manu's graciousness and candor about so many things and his apparent joy in embracing the life that being an NBA star has allowed him to lead (though I also suspect that Manu would have the same joy for life even if he were doing something much more menial and was blessed with far less means than he has).

urunobili
08-24-2016, 09:40 AM
I feel thankful for having seen Manu play live both with the Spurs and Argentina. Thanks for the share!

gambit1990
08-24-2016, 11:07 AM
interested in what manu chooses to pursuit after he hangs it up.