PDA

View Full Version : David Robinson: Warriors' window will 'end relatively quickly

ducks
08-23-2016, 10:49 PM
http://www.csnbayarea.com/warriors/david-robinson-warriors-window-will-end-relatively-quickly?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

ginobilized
08-23-2016, 10:51 PM
The window for this thread is even shorter

tmtcsc
08-23-2016, 11:13 PM
Kevin Durant is a loser. End of story. If GS wins another Championship some day it will be because they overcame KD's choking in big moments. They are by no means a lock to win jack shit and as long as Durant's personal Boogie Man suits up in Cleveland, he will have nightmares the rest of his NBA life.

phxspurfan
08-23-2016, 11:17 PM
Kevin Durant is a loser. End of story. If GS wins another Championship some day it will be because they overcame KD's choking in big moments. They are by no means a lock to win jack shit and as long as Durant's personal Boogie Man suits up in Cleveland, he will have nightmares the rest of his NBA life.

Sure KD is a choker but they are guaranteed 60 wins every season he and Curry are there (barring injury). Which means HCA in GS every year theyre together. Which means at the very least WCF unless its a massive choke job or injury. That's basically equivalent to a LeBron team in the LEast getting to the finals every year bc of shitty comp.

gambit1990
08-23-2016, 11:19 PM
what the warriors have going for them the most is that kerr is the coach.

gambit1990
08-23-2016, 11:21 PM
spurs shoulda kept kerr in the organization.

SAGirl
08-23-2016, 11:23 PM
Another website with the same quote:
http://www.complex.com/sports/2016/08/david-robinson-golden-state-warriors-short-window
Robinson thinks Spurs can ring this season:

"End of an era and obviously, he's like a little brother to me so I just enjoyed watching him, growing up with him," Robinson said. "What's great is what Coach Popovich and R.C. Buford and the whole family have done a great job in continuing to build the franchise and still be very, very competitive. I think we'll have a chance to win the championship this year."

On the GSW window to ring he said:

"It takes time, you look at what happened with LeBron, Wade, and Bosh. It took them a year or two to get their legs underneath them and figure things out and even then that run was relatively short," he mentioned. "So if you're able to put together a team like this, you're generally going to have a short window because you can't pay all those guys to keep them together. There's the short window that's going to end relatively quickly and it's not as easy as going out to play."
Robinson brought up the Warriors losing a few key role players this summer in the pursuit of Durant, which might mess with chemistry early on. "It's not that easy and people can say what they want to say, but it's still up in the air," he said. "Nobody thought Cleveland would win the championship this year. There were four teams in the West they said they couldn't beat and they were down 3-1 and they came back and won so you just never know. You can't write the script."

SpurPadre
08-23-2016, 11:24 PM
what the warriors have going for them the most is that kerr is the coach.

Their winning percentage was better without Kerr last year and I know he was probably doing alot behind the scenes during that time but let's not overhype Kerr's accomplishments as head coach.

gambit1990
08-23-2016, 11:42 PM
Their winning percentage was better without Kerr last year and I know he was probably doing alot behind the scenes during that time but let's not overhype Kerr's accomplishments as head coach.
kerr's impact can't be overstated. before they had marc jackson. kerr was one win away from back to back championships. has any coach ever done that in their 1st & 2nd season? highly doubt it.

gambit1990
08-23-2016, 11:47 PM
what kerr could've said to kd after he signed: "i'm just a short white guy. you have all the tools."

if jackson was around instead: "what you have to do kd, the first and foremost thing you have to do is accept jesus christ as your lord and savior. if you do that, you've already won. you might lose in a game of basketball, but you know what? you're a champion in the game of life." :lol

Spurtacular
08-24-2016, 12:02 AM
I am inclined to disagree with D-Rob in that I think the Dubs can pay Curry and Durant. But at what cost? It's already cost them Bogut, Barnes, Barbosa, etc.

dabom
08-24-2016, 12:07 AM
I've been in line saying losing Bogut is a huge loss. It's the smart move. He is injury prone.

YGWHI
08-24-2016, 12:25 AM
Well said, DRob :flag:

08-24-2016, 12:31 AM
Denial is always the first stage

cutewizard
08-24-2016, 03:10 AM
agree with The Admiral!

exstatic
08-24-2016, 06:35 AM

This kind of shit take is why I sometimes hate this forum. The blind reflexive criticism of the Spurs organization by someone who doesn't know shit is laughable.

Kerr hasn't been in the organization since 2003 as a player. I'm pretty sure that was his choice, because he wanted to move home to AZ so he could fail hard with the Suns.

exstatic
08-24-2016, 06:39 AM
I am inclined to disagree with D-Rob in that I think the Dubs can pay Curry and Durant. But at what cost? It's already cost them Bogut, Barnes, Barbosa, etc.

I think that's kind of his point, so you're really agreeing with him.

If you look at last year's Spurs squad versus 2014, the big difference was lack of an effective bench, a path that GS is likely going down this year because they gutted it signing KD.

NameLess Scrub
08-24-2016, 06:57 AM
If the window lasts as much as Miami's (and goes as Miami's did), I guess that's good enough for KD.

Obstructed_View
08-24-2016, 08:24 AM
Sure KD is a choker but they are guaranteed 60 wins every season he and Curry are there (barring injury). Which means HCA in GS every year theyre together. Which means at the very least WCF unless its a massive choke job or injury. That's basically equivalent to a LeBron team in the LEast getting to the finals every year bc of shitty comp.

Staving off injury is a lot easier for a small guard with brittle ankles when he has lots of big bodies to plow the road for him. Durant is going to come to miss having all those big guys absorbing punishment so he doesn't have to.

tmtcsc
08-24-2016, 08:29 AM

They will be pretty dominant in the regular season because the league is watered-down and lousy for the most part. The playoffs are a whole different story - as we all know. 9 regular season losses and 9 playoff losses last year for the Warriors. GS's roster took a hit in terms of chemistry and depth with Barnes, Barbosa, Festus and Bogut leaving. I'm not sold on ZaZa and David West adding much either. No lock imo.

BG_Spurs_Fan
08-24-2016, 08:29 AM
Disagree with 50, tbh.

1. They can retain their best players easily for the foreseeable future.
2. He compares them to Miami's window - 4 years isn't a short window at all, it's a quite good one.

Their main obstacle will be the ability to sign cheap useful players to surround their stars with, but they've already shown that's not as difficult as is sounds - Zaza, West. The only things that could stop them would be Curry shattering his ankle or internal drama because of lack of touches and roles.

houston spurs fan
08-24-2016, 10:46 AM
Let's see how they really feel about taking less shots when KD arrives. Everyone talking a good game, let's see...

gambit1990
08-24-2016, 10:59 AM
This kind of shit take is why I sometimes hate this forum. The blind reflexive criticism of the Spurs organization by someone who doesn't know shit is laughable.

Kerr hasn't been in the organization since 2003 as a player. I'm pretty sure that was his choice, because he wanted to move home to AZ so he could fail hard with the Suns.
lol, wtf? shit take? i know he went to the suns. i know he traded for shaq.

gambit1990
08-24-2016, 11:03 AM
it's not like i said the spurs letting go of him was a huge mistake. i just think he would be an asset to organization dumbass.

Mr. Body
08-24-2016, 01:02 PM
Four years seems like the standard for a dynasty team. The Kobe-Shaq Lakers, the LeBron Heat, give or take a year. What matters a lot is how good the role players are. They age or lose their edge and are hard to replace.

I figure adding Durant has extended their window. Their first ring was kind of flukey, the loss last year was kind of flukey. But they've lost good role players and are strictly perimeter oriented. I think they'll trade Klay Thompson in a year or so, they'll have to.

But ultimately history is always the guide. They'll have Teri or three years before they shake apart a bit. Only the Bulls were able to retool for two separate runs.

Brian Windhorst
08-24-2016, 02:08 PM
TBH Harrison Barnes was terrible in the playoffs, but people underestimate how important he was in smoothing our their small lineups over the course of each game. He and Green are extremely strong at their base, they were the two guys who Lamarcus and Kawhi couldn't easily move in the post. When the games count, the Warriors are going to need Green and Iguodala to play like 38MPG each. Most playoff teams should be able to match their efficiency for any minutes where their front line consists of West/Zaza/Varajao.

From the Spurs perspective, they'll have to figure out what the hell they're going to do about a Curry/Klay/KD lineup in terms of matchups. The good news is that they have plenty of options besides putting Parker on Curry. Manu could play PG and hide on Klay, Simmons could probably play PG if we ran the offense through the bigs, or you could put KA at SF, hide him on Klay and have him take the ball up. The bottom line is we're going to have to figure out how to make the offense work when Tony gets run off the floor.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-24-2016, 03:12 PM
Four years seems like the standard for a dynasty team. The Kobe-Shaq Lakers, the LeBron Heat, give or take a year. What matters a lot is how good the role players are. They age or lose their edge and are hard to replace.

I figure adding Durant has extended their window. Their first ring was kind of flukey, the loss last year was kind of flukey. But they've lost good role players and are strictly perimeter oriented. I think they'll trade Klay Thompson in a year or so, they'll have to.

But ultimately history is always the guide. They'll have Teri or three years before they shake apart a bit. Only the Bulls were able to retool for two separate runs.

No, they won't.

This isn't the NFL. In the NBA you overpay to keep your own players and stay over the soft cap/tax. Of course, you only get the annual MLE and vet min contracts outside of that, but that isn't a huge problem when you've got Durant, Curry, Green, Thompson, Iguodala, Livingston, Pachulia and others who you can re-sign for as much as you want.

Spurtacular
08-24-2016, 03:39 PM
I think that's kind of his point, so you're really agreeing with him.

If you look at last year's Spurs squad versus 2014, the big difference was lack of an effective bench, a path that GS is likely going down this year because they gutted it signing KD.

No, I'm not. He says they won't keep the core four together long term. Maybe, they won't. But I don't see it as a foregone conclusion.

TD 21
08-24-2016, 04:23 PM
They will be pretty dominant in the regular season because the league is watered-down and lousy for the most part. The playoffs are a whole different story - as we all know. 9 regular season losses and 9 playoff losses last year for the Warriors. GS's roster took a hit in terms of chemistry and depth with Barnes, Barbosa, Festus and Bogut leaving. I'm not sold on ZaZa and David West adding much either. No lock imo.

Yeah, but they're like the U.S. team: They have their flaws (no rim protector/roll man and lack of depth, which they'll probably address at some point), but who's equipped to beat them?

People are trying to make Aldridge to the Spurs comparisons, with the sacrificing of chemistry and depth, but the Spurs came up short because too many key players aged significantly. They're not as reliant on their older players and even if that happens in their case, they have superior high end talent.

Mr. Body
08-24-2016, 07:30 PM
No, they won't.

This isn't the NFL. In the NBA you overpay to keep your own players and stay over the soft cap/tax. Of course, you only get the annual MLE and vet min contracts outside of that, but that isn't a huge problem when you've got Durant, Curry, Green, Thompson, Iguodala, Livingston, Pachulia and others who you can re-sign for as much as you want.

Yes they will. He's redundant. Worse than redundant, he'll be a very expensive corner three guy. They'll trade out of the contract and try to refill the bench.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-24-2016, 07:51 PM
Yes they will. He's redundant. Worse than redundant, he'll be a very expensive corner three guy. They'll trade out of the contract and try to refill the bench.

Without him, they lose in OKC game 6, Durant gets his ring, and the Warriors are left with zero--no Durant, no ring, no Finals appearance, just a 2012 Spurs-like WCF exit after a killer regular season.

Capt Bringdown
08-24-2016, 09:18 PM
A rather sour attitude from the Jesus Lover. Hypocrite.

cutewizard
08-24-2016, 10:27 PM
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2016/8/24/12625550/espn-projects-spurs-will-win-second-most-games-next-season

tmtcsc
08-24-2016, 10:56 PM
Yeah, but they're like the U.S. team: They have their flaws (no rim protector/roll man and lack of depth, which they'll probably address at some point), but who's equipped to beat them?

People are trying to make Aldridge to the Spurs comparisons, with the sacrificing of chemistry and depth, but the Spurs came up short because too many key players aged significantly. They're not as reliant on their older players and even if that happens in their case, they have superior high end talent.

I think the Spurs downfall was due to the following:

1. Lack of Ball Movement in the Playoffs / Too much reliance on Aldridge and Leonard
2. Tim's Injury - which was a hit to their defense and rebounding / caused others to play out of position
3. OKC's desire - they outplayed the Spurs & rode the momentum

I think the Spurs will be better this year with a healthy line-up and a younger roster. Aldridge will be more comfortable in the offense and Pau will certainly be an upgrade on offense. Others will be forced to take ownership now that Tim is gone. Yikes, "Tim is gone". That just sounds messed up.

dabom
08-24-2016, 11:01 PM

1. Lack of Ball Movement in the Playoffs / Too much reliance on Aldridge and Leonard
2. Tim's Injury - which was a hit to their defense and rebounding / caused others to play out of position

I think the Spurs will be better this year with a healthy line-up and a younger roster. Aldridge will be more comfortable in the offense and Pau will certainly be an upgrade on offense. Others will be forced to take ownership now that Tim is gone. Yikes, "Tim is gone". That just sounds messed up.

Are people this fucking stupid? The Spurs playmakers/role players/role player shooting wasn't there. We went to a Kawhi/LMA ISO because of that.

tbdog
08-24-2016, 11:03 PM
We have seen super teams fail before. Malone and Payton joining prime Kobe and Shaq and of course Dwight and Nash joining Gasol and Kobe, Pippen and Barkley joining Hakeem and Drexler etc. They all talking about not needing their shots now, but we will see. Spurs need no to worry about matchups and just play their game.

dabom
08-24-2016, 11:11 PM
It's not like Pop and Co were like, "Guys fuck the passing. We don't know if it doesn't work. Feed KAwhi and LMA. "

More like. "Fuck. We can't set out plays. We keep missing shots. Fuck it. Go to Kawhi and LMA heavy cause that other shit ain't working."

dabom
08-24-2016, 11:11 PM
I'm tired of low IQ posting on here guys. Especially some bolds. Not all. Just a good amount.

skulls138
08-24-2016, 11:21 PM
We have seen super teams fail before. Malone and Payton joining prime Kobe and Shaq and of course Dwight and Nash joining Gasol and Kobe, Pippen and Barkley joining Hakeem and Drexler etc. They all talking about not needing their shots now, but we will see. Spurs need no to worry about matchups and just play their game.Those teams failed all year long, they were reaching back for one more chance at glory. GSW aint that. My question is, did they address their need for big men? That and the fact that theres only one ball to go around to so many offensive players.

tmtcsc
08-25-2016, 01:28 AM
Are people this fucking stupid? The Spurs playmakers/role players/role player shooting wasn't there. We went to a Kawhi/LMA ISO because of that.

Just shut the fuck up, you don't know what you're talking about. The Spurs didn't move the ball well and the offense became stagnant, predictable and easy to defend. Just because you run an ISO based offense doesn't mean you stop moving the ball. Everyone needs to be a threat to keep the defense honest and prevent easy help or double teams. Without good ball movement, shots become forced or easily contested.

dabom
08-25-2016, 01:32 AM
Just shut the fuck up, you don't know what you're talking about. The Spurs didn't move the ball well and the offense became stagnant, predictable and easy to defend. Just because you run an ISO based offense doesn't mean you stop moving the ball. Everyone needs to be a threat to keep the defense honest and prevent easy help or double teams. Without good ball movement, shots become forced or easily contested.

No you don't know shit you stupid fucking porker fan. I know the agenda you faggot. :lmao

dabom
08-25-2016, 01:33 AM
And don't take all day trying to figure how to respond cause you know your fucking dead wrong. You think Pop out of fucking no where just said "fuck all the passing guys". No that's not how it went down you stupid fuck. :lmao

Trying to blame the only people that kept the series competitive. :lol

tmtcsc
08-25-2016, 01:52 AM
And don't take all day trying to figure how to respond cause you know your fucking dead wrong. You think Pop out of fucking no where just said "fuck all the passing guys". No that's not how it went down you stupid fuck. :lmao

Trying to blame the only people that kept the series competitive. :lol

Porker fan? Who the fuck do you think you're talking to you Sperm gurgling fanboy? I don't give a shit about Tony Parker. ISO offenses don't mean you stop moving the ball. Gawd damn you're an insolent, ignorant little bitch. :lmao Who the fuck let you stay up this late?

dabom
08-25-2016, 01:54 AM
Porker fan? Who the fuck do you think you're talking to you Sperm gurgling fanboy? I don't give a shit about Tony Parker. ISO offenses don't mean you stop moving the ball. Gawd damn your an insolent, ignorant little bitch. :lmao Who the fuck let you stay up this late?

I remember you were part of the porker slurping group you faggot. Just cause you changed tunes lately don't make it false. We know all porker slurpers deflect blame onto other players.

dabom
08-25-2016, 01:56 AM
Low IQ antiquated vanilla mainstream fans. :lol

tmtcsc
08-25-2016, 01:56 AM
No you don't know shit you stupid fucking porker fan. I know the agenda you faggot. :lmao

You fucking dumbass, I listed different reasons they lost and you think I'm blaming KL and LMA for the loss. Go back to jacking off in your own mouth and pretending you know a fucking thing about basketball. GED having motherfucker.

tmtcsc
08-25-2016, 01:58 AM
I remember you were part of the porker slurping group you faggot. Just cause you changed tunes lately don't make it false. We know all porker slurpers deflect blame onto other players.

You stupid C*U*N*T, find me one quote where I said something positive about Porker. DO IT NOW FAGGOT. LOL, dumbass. :lol

dabom
08-25-2016, 01:58 AM

I'm going to sleep. Tired of slapping around these porker slurpers. :lol

tmtcsc
08-25-2016, 02:00 AM

Stupid ass, still living at home with your parents, no diploma having bitch.

tmtcsc
08-25-2016, 02:01 AM
I'm going to sleep. Tired of slapping around these porker slurpers. :lol

Who the fuck are you talking to? It's just me in here you're running from. FIND MY QUOTES FAGGOT. You know you don't have a job to go to tomorrow. Pussy.

dabom
08-25-2016, 02:02 AM
:sleep

tmtcsc
08-25-2016, 02:04 AM
:sleep

I thought so FAGGOT. da fuck outta here.

dabom
08-25-2016, 02:06 AM
This lil bitch mad tilted. Everything I said I said true then. :lol

tmtcsc
08-25-2016, 02:31 AM
Speak English you fucking re-tard. I said I said...you know you're a fucking mumbling little fuck. You know that?

Spurtacular
08-25-2016, 02:33 AM

Would he have been happy with being an assistant GM?

Spurtacular
08-25-2016, 02:36 AM
Durant is going to come to miss having all those big guys absorbing punishment so he doesn't have to.

Spurtacular
08-25-2016, 02:38 AM
But they've lost good role players and are strictly perimeter oriented. I think they'll trade Klay Thompson in a year or so, they'll have to.

When was the last time a non-cancer "top twenty" player in his prime was traded? If this happens, then the salaries of the core will truly be crushing.

tbdog
08-25-2016, 02:39 AM
Those teams failed all year long, they were reaching back for one more chance at glory. GSW aint that. My question is, did they address their need for big men? That and the fact that theres only one ball to go around to so many offensive players.

Well the Mailman/Payton experiment didn't fail all season, and were in the finals minus Malone. As for GS addressing their big men. Well Pachulia and David West are you hard working big men but cannot defend the rim. Pachulia has poor hands. They will just be setting screens, but on D they cannot protect the rim. GS play a heavy switching defense anyway, and I am not sure how good Pachulia is at defending perimeter players. But we know D West struggles here. They also resign Varejao, who is way over the hill now. They did sign Mcgee on a training camp contract, but he too has terrible hands and is a poor screener. They also had two young 6'9 players, McAdoo and Looney. I am unsure what their games are. Pretty weak front court, but their job is not there to score though. Just defend, rebound, and set screens. They will struggle to keep big guys from playing volleyball and teams will have to destroy them on the boards to beat them. I wonder if Kerr will employ a strategy where everyone rebounds and not leak out on the fast break just to combat this issue.

Spurtacular
08-25-2016, 03:10 AM
The script is for Durbeta and skin and bones Curry to win over a tired LBJ this season. After that, I think we'll see the cracks start to burst.

Obstructed_View
08-25-2016, 05:12 AM
Those teams failed all year long, they were reaching back for one more chance at glory. GSW aint that. My question is, did they address their need for big men? That and the fact that theres only one ball to go around to so many offensive players.

Malone and Payton beat the Spurs in the playoffs though.

Obstructed_View
08-25-2016, 05:14 AM
The script is for Durbeta and skin and bones Curry to win over a tired LBJ this season. After that, I think we'll see the cracks start to burst.

Worst nickname since Black Mamba. Still makes me think of this:

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/040314_Bavetta.jpg

Spurtacular
08-25-2016, 05:44 AM
Worst nickname since Black Mamba. Still makes me think of this:

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/040314_Bavetta.jpg

Durbeta - Calling Card
Black Mamba - Marketing Gimmick / Shameless Self Promotion

dabom
08-25-2016, 08:18 AM
Speak English you fucking re-tard. I said I said...you know you're a fucking mumbling little fuck. You know that?

Funny cause you don't speak on a forum you stupid fuck. :lmao

lefty
08-25-2016, 08:21 AM
Drob hasn't been the same since Hakeem raped him tbh

Phenomanul
08-25-2016, 09:03 AM
:rolleyes....

That's right, the Admiral didn't accomplish anything after the '95 WCF against Houston.

2 NBA Championships
1 Olympic Gold
4 All-Star Berths
4 All-NBA defensive team selections
3 All-NBA team selections
HOF Induction

tmtcsc
08-25-2016, 01:17 PM
Funny cause you don't speak on a forum you stupid fuck. :lmao

You sure as shit don't make sense on one.
And don't act like you don't talk out your words before you type each key one by one. I can hear it now ...duh "F"..."U"....derrrr...

You fucking little twat. Running up your parents electric bill while drooling all over your Chima legos in your room. That's right....one day you'll be a star just like Justin Bieber in that poster on your wall. But first you'll need to drop all those pounds, get braces, hope those zits clear off your face. FAGGOT. Still waiting for those quotes of me being a Porker fan. Go lick more hairy assholes bitch.

tmtcsc
08-25-2016, 01:24 PM
:lmao

You're almost there you little twat...Shit, why wait...ladies and gentlemen, I give you the biggest Belieber out there and the next pop sensation - that stuttering, mumbling fuck himself -

DABOM!!!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/73/90/07/7390075366f34b2b333663730968ddd1.jpg

dabom
08-25-2016, 02:12 PM
You're almost there you little twat...Shit, why wait...ladies and gentlemen, I give you the biggest Belieber out there and the next pop sensation - that stuttering, mumbling fuck himself -

DABOM!!!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/73/90/07/7390075366f34b2b333663730968ddd1.jpg

Oh look. Porker slurper. :lol

SAGirl
08-25-2016, 02:43 PM

Yes. It's a good point to bring up diminishing returns, and then the hits that their defense took without Bogut. It was costly for them to lose Bogut in the finals in fact. The big guy wasn't healthy all season, but when he is healthy he makes a huge difference for them. They doubled down on what they were already good at and became weaker on what they were weak at. They will be huge in the RS when teams don't play real defense (save a few teams that make defense their identity and play it all season), but in the playoffs it's another matter. They will be interesting but could underachieve.

SAGirl
08-25-2016, 02:57 PM
Well the Mailman/Payton experiment didn't fail all season, and were in the finals minus Malone. As for GS addressing their big men. Well Pachulia and David West are you hard working big men but cannot defend the rim. Pachulia has poor hands. They will just be setting screens, but on D they cannot protect the rim. GS play a heavy switching defense anyway, and I am not sure how good Pachulia is at defending perimeter players. But we know D West struggles here. They also resign Varejao, who is way over the hill now. They did sign Mcgee on a training camp contract, but he too has terrible hands and is a poor screener. They also had two young 6'9 players, McAdoo and Looney. I am unsure what their games are. Pretty weak front court, but their job is not there to score though. Just defend, rebound, and set screens. They will struggle to keep big guys from playing volleyball and teams will have to destroy them on the boards to beat them. I wonder if Kerr will employ a strategy where everyone rebounds and not leak out on the fast break just to combat this issue.

McAdoo is a just an athlete period. Reminds me of Livio in size and athleticism. He's a very poor defensive rebounder though which limits him to garbage time. It's either his timing or hands, for whatever reason he doesn't rebound as he should. He's also not much of a shooter but can make a midrange shot on occasion. He does fit their switching defense, but his poor defensive rebounding is a red flag. He's a deep bench player.

Looney is a young player (will be 20 I think, at most 21) who may have the better potential actually but he had 2 hip surgeries last season and really barely played. He can be considered as if he was a rookie in experience. He is a good rebounder and had range on his shot. He could be a good player for them IMO, but maybe not this season as he's that young and newbie, and that is assuming his hip issues are taken care of and he will be healthy.

TD 21
08-25-2016, 04:27 PM

1. Occurred mostly out of necessity because the older players aged significantly and Duncans' knee injury is tied into that.

The Spurs will likely be about the same, which is anywhere from the 2nd-4th best teams in the league. They won't be a threat to win the championship until they find a go to creator/play maker, on the perimeter, though.

dabom
08-25-2016, 05:05 PM
1. Occurred mostly out of necessity because the older players aged significantly and Duncans' knee injury is tied into that.

The Spurs will likely be about the same, which is anywhere from the 2nd-4th best teams in the league. They won't be a threat to win the championship until they find a go to creator/play maker, on the perimeter, though.

You your saying we still don't have that player on the roster right?

Clipper Nation
08-25-2016, 05:19 PM
The "window" was only ever open in the first place because of severe injuries to everyone else. It closed as soon as they ran into the GOAT with a healthy supporting cast in the Finals. Now they've gotten rid of all their depth for a choke artist who's scared of the playoffs.

:lol Warriors
:lol Faggots

tmtcsc
08-25-2016, 05:39 PM
The "window" was only ever open in the first place because of severe injuries to everyone else. It closed as soon as they ran into the GOAT with a healthy supporting cast in the Finals. Now they've gotten rid of all their depth for a choke artist who's scared of the playoffs.

:lol Faggots

:toast

spurs10
08-25-2016, 09:15 PM

:lol Faggots Not mincing words here I see! :lol

Sean Cagney
08-26-2016, 01:42 AM
:rolleyes....

That's right, the Admiral didn't accomplish anything after the '95 WCF against Houston.

2 NBA Championships
1 Olympic Gold
4 All-Star Berths
4 All-NBA defensive team selections
3 All-NBA team selections
HOF Induction
Obviously he is another LA fan in here with the Spurs by his team name pretending he is a fan, bad attempt at that as far as Lefty goes. I was going to put what you put, two rings later as well like you said says otherwise. He was fine after the 95 series and fell off later do to the bad back etc. Dude speaks out of his ass most of the time I found out.

GSH
08-26-2016, 07:52 AM
No, they won't.

The Blazers went through this back during/around the Brandon Roy time. It didn't help that Greg Oden was actually 35 and broken down when they drafted him, or that Roy's knee blew out. But the Blazers were already up against the wall trying to afford all the young talent they had. It was a foregone conclusion that they weren't going to be able to keep all the young talent they had.

OKC had the same problem. They (Seattle) traded all their top players when they got Durant, and raked in a bunch of draft picks. They did well with the picks, and had a huge amount of talent on one team. Just about the time they got them experienced playing with each other, the team started having to worry about how they were going to pay them all. You can argue about why they lost Harden, but the fact is they couldn't keep him.

If nothing else, if they keep having success, there are going to be a lot of important role players who will see a chance to cash in elsewhere. They can't afford to pay everyone the maximum, and there aren't enough minutes to go around on a stacked team. Curry, Klay, and Durant will get all the glory, and Draymond will feel disrespected. Or Durant will understand that it will never be "his" team. Or both. The old ring-chasers won't be able to get minutes and move on to get one more big paycheck, or retire. Maybe GS will find some magic to hold them all together, but chances are DRob is right.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-26-2016, 08:16 AM
The Blazers went through this back during/around the Brandon Roy time. It didn't help that Greg Oden was actually 35 and broken down when they drafted him, or that Roy's knee blew out. But the Blazers were already up against the wall trying to afford all the young talent they had. It was a foregone conclusion that they weren't going to be able to keep all the young talent they had.

OKC had the same problem. They (Seattle) traded all their top players when they got Durant, and raked in a bunch of draft picks. They did well with the picks, and had a huge amount of talent on one team. Just about the time they got them experienced playing with each other, the team started having to worry about how they were going to pay them all. You can argue about why they lost Harden, but the fact is they couldn't keep him.

If nothing else, if they keep having success, there are going to be a lot of important role players who will see a chance to cash in elsewhere. They can't afford to pay everyone the maximum, and there aren't enough minutes to go around on a stacked team. Curry, Klay, and Durant will get all the glory, and Draymond will feel disrespected. Or Durant will understand that it will never be "his" team. Or both. The old ring-chasers won't be able to get minutes and move on to get one more big paycheck, or retire. Maybe GS will find some magic to hold them all together, but chances are DRob is right.

GSW is one of the richest teams in the league, they're not OKC. Big market, price-inelastic fans that will pack the arena no matter what. They can afford the luxury tax and the repeater luxury tax.

GSH
08-26-2016, 08:34 AM
GSW is one of the richest teams in the league, they're not OKC. Big market, price-inelastic fans that will pack the arena no matter what. They can afford the luxury tax and the repeater luxury tax.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. The repeater lux tax is pretty damned punitive, and it gets worse if they keep repeating. It's designed to make sure that nobody can afford to pay it. Marginal players start costing a shitload of money when added to the top of the payroll. Marginal players who you have to overpay? They will cost as much as other teams will be paying for superstars. But I know from experience that nothing ever changes your mind about anything.

But I already said - money isn't the only thing. There are only so many minutes and possessions to go around, and balancing all those huge egos will be just as difficult. I doubt that Harden would have stayed in OKC for any amount of money. I can see Draymond, for one, doing the same thing.

james evans
08-26-2016, 08:49 AM
kerr's impact can't be overstated. before they had marc jackson. kerr was one win away from back to back championships. has any coach ever done that in their 1st & 2nd season? highly doubt it.
the same Kerr that sat out for damn near half the season and Luke Walton had the best start in NBA history? That Kerr or another one? I'm confused

james evans
08-26-2016, 08:55 AM
Yes. It's a good point to bring up diminishing returns, and then the hits that their defense took without Bogut. It was costly for them to lose Bogut in the finals in fact. The big guy wasn't healthy all season, but when he is healthy he makes a huge difference for them. They doubled down on what they were already good at and became weaker on what they were weak at. They will be huge in the RS when teams don't play real defense (save a few teams that make defense their identity and play it all season), but in the playoffs it's another matter. They will be interesting but could underachieve.
My theory is this, and I keep saying every time someone brings up the Warriors. They were the best offensive team in the league last season. Everything was clicking. They were also one of the top defensive teams as well. So in the off season, they gut their defense, get rid of all the hard workers and add another top offensive player to an offense that they were already #1. Does anyone understand how much of a factor this will be without Bogut in the middle changing shots and setting illegal screens, no barnes/ezeili/speights doing the dirty work and they add not 1 but 2 horrific defenders in West and Durant? Am I the only one here that understands basketball enough to see how much of a problem this is for Golden State? Basketball isn't, "ok, I'm adding this guy to the team so we're just gonna add his 20+ shots to the offense and be even more powerful). :lol . Shit doesn't work like that. Never has and never will. If that's the case, the Blazers in 2000 would have been champs.

ElNono
08-26-2016, 09:06 AM
Famous last words, tbh

UNT Eagles 2016
08-26-2016, 09:37 AM
We'll just have to agree to disagree. The repeater lux tax is pretty damned punitive, and it gets worse if they keep repeating. It's designed to make sure that nobody can afford to pay it. Marginal players start costing a shitload of money when added to the top of the payroll. Marginal players who you have to overpay? They will cost as much as other teams will be paying for superstars. But I know from experience that nothing ever changes your mind about anything.

But I already said - money isn't the only thing. There are only so many minutes and possessions to go around, and balancing all those huge egos will be just as difficult. I doubt that Harden would have stayed in OKC for any amount of money. I can see Draymond, for one, doing the same thing.
The egos are the main worry.

Money wise though, as an owner, you've got to take the "YOLO" attitude, particularly if you're a multi-billionaire. It's worth it to overpay and take corporate losses every year if you're fielding a team that wins the championship, say, 8 years in a 15 year generation span, making the Finals in say, 4 of the other 7 years. Happiness, popularity and the sheer joy of winning... the niceties of life... are sometimes more important than strict money.

I'd rather make love to a beautiful woman every day who loves me, and not be so well-off, but as long as I have good air conditioning, a car, healthy and substantive food, and protection from the elements (and both my health and her health intact) and comprehensive medical insurance, it's much better than, say, being a wealthy 80 year old who's only ever had sex with ugly escorts and gold diggers.

GSH
08-26-2016, 02:56 PM
The egos are the main worry.

Money wise though, as an owner, you've got to take the "YOLO" attitude, particularly if you're a multi-billionaire. It's worth it to overpay and take corporate losses every year if you're fielding a team that wins the championship, say, 8 years in a 15 year generation span, making the Finals in say, 4 of the other 7 years. Happiness, popularity and the sheer joy of winning... the niceties of life... are sometimes more important than strict money.

A repeat offender could wind up paying $35 Million for a $6 Million player.

I'd rather make love to a beautiful woman every day who loves me, and not be so well-off, but as long as I have good air conditioning, a car, healthy and substantive food, and protection from the elements (and both my health and her health intact) and comprehensive medical insurance, it's much better than, say, being a wealthy 80 year old who's only ever had sex with ugly escorts and gold diggers.

I should never underestimate your ability to take the conversation someplace weird.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-26-2016, 05:44 PM
A repeat offender could wind up paying $35 Million for a $6 Million player.

So you have $15 Billion in the bank. You pay $30 million over the luxxo tax and end up having to pay $180 million, let's say for 15 years. That's about $2.7 billion in taxes, still chump change for these high rollers. Even if he had zero extra revenue to make up for the tax, does that mean to a 60+ year old man who's not going to live nearly that long to spend a small fraction of the other $12.3 billion?

tbdog
08-28-2016, 02:19 AM
It is good that the Spurs went big. I think the big game will be back as there is no point, and I have said this since the Durant beta move, but there is no point going small against the Dubs. I think most teams will just have to stay big and bang the boards, dominate the paint etc.

cd98
08-28-2016, 08:27 AM
We have seen super teams fail before. Malone and Payton joining prime Kobe and Shaq and of course Dwight and Nash joining Gasol and Kobe, Pippen and Barkley joining Hakeem and Drexler etc. They all talking about not needing their shots now, but we will see. Spurs need no to worry about matchups and just play their game.

Those "super teams" were counting on players in the twilight of their careers to still be stars. This GS team has stars in their prime or coming into their prime. They will be really good for years to come. The closest comparison is Miami, a team that was dominant and only fell apart bc of Bosh's heart condition and LeBron's anger at the owner's penny pinching.

spursreport
08-28-2016, 09:33 AM
Those "super teams" were counting on players in the twilight of their careers to still be stars. This GS team has stars in their prime or coming into their prime. They will be really good for years to come. The closest comparison is Miami, a team that was dominant and only fell apart bc of Bosh's heart condition and LeBron's anger at the owner's penny pinching.

The Warriors are relying on Durant to be the alpha. Durant is the Peyton Manning of the NBA. Puts up nice stats but chokes in high pressure playoff moments unless someone bails him out. The only issue is Curry is a pg. Pg led teams don't win titles. They won't get lucky again where Iggy leads them to a ring this time around. And kill yourself for that final sentence in your post. The Heat were rolling in the 2014 playoffs until running into the Spurs.

cd98
08-28-2016, 12:24 PM
The Warriors are relying on Durant to be the alpha. Durant is the Peyton Manning of the NBA. Puts up nice stats but chokes in high pressure playoff moments unless someone bails him out. The only issue is Curry is a pg. Pg led teams don't win titles. They won't get lucky again where Iggy leads them to a ring this time around. And kill yourself for that final sentence in your post. The Heat were rolling in the 2014 playoffs until running into the Spurs.

People said LeBron wasn't Alpha and dogged his move to Miami. But he soon became very alpha. I'd hold off on calling Durant a beta just yet. And that 2014 Miami team had no bench. This year, GSW will have a good bench. We'll see what they do year to year, but if the owner of GSW is committed to paying, GSW will be very good for the foreseeable future.

cjw
08-28-2016, 12:33 PM
No, they won't.

Right, except for the fact that they won't have Durant's bird rights when he inevitably opts out for the supermax contract (35% of huge cap) after this season. They can probably keep Iguodala and the rest of the core, but the rest of the roster gets gutted.

Klay + Draymond + dead money due to Jason Thompson = $35.2 million
Durant's cap hold will be $31.8 million (120% of this year's salary, which will be below his max)
Iguodala's cap hold will be $16.7 million
Curry's cap hold will be $16.4 million

Add on seven minimum roster charges (assumes they move on from guys like McCaw, Damian Jones) and you're at $104.1 million. McCaw would cost an extra $340k and Jones an extra $660k, so say $1.0 million between them. That puts you them at $105.1 million.

If the cap is $107 million, they'll squeak under it. If $102 million, they'll likely have to sacrifice Iggy. I think there's a very good chance they extend Iggy this season, which can be done now that three years have passed since the original contract. If they can bring his cap number closer to $10 million, they have breathing room.

Livingston is as good as gone unless he comes back with an exception. Following this offseason, they're going to have about $97 to $100 million locked up in their main four guys, so minimum players and exceptions for the foreseeable future without any huge bumps expected in the cap.

DeRozan m8
08-28-2016, 05:49 PM
Kerr is an overrated vulture who's been given everything in his career and basically earned none of it.

Basically James Jones V2

UNT Eagles 2016
08-29-2016, 08:49 AM
Right, except for the fact that they won't have Durant's bird rights when he inevitably opts out for the supermax contract (35% of huge cap) after this season. They can probably keep Iguodala and the rest of the core, but the rest of the roster gets gutted.

Klay + Draymond + dead money due to Jason Thompson = $35.2 million
Durant's cap hold will be $31.8 million (120% of this year's salary, which will be below his max)
Iguodala's cap hold will be $16.7 million
Curry's cap hold will be $16.4 million

Add on seven minimum roster charges (assumes they move on from guys like McCaw, Damian Jones) and you're at $104.1 million. McCaw would cost an extra $340k and Jones an extra $660k, so say $1.0 million between them. That puts you them at $105.1 million.

If the cap is $107 million, they'll squeak under it. If $102 million, they'll likely have to sacrifice Iggy. I think there's a very good chance they extend Iggy this season, which can be done now that three years have passed since the original contract. If they can bring his cap number closer to $10 million, they have breathing room.

Livingston is as good as gone unless he comes back with an exception. Following this offseason, they're going to have about $97 to $100 million locked up in their main four guys, so minimum players and exceptions for the foreseeable future without any huge bumps expected in the cap.
Livingston seems like the perfect candidate for the RE/MLE. 7th-8th man on the roster, knows his role, unselfish but important to the team. Knows he'd be worse in any other system (maybe Spurs an exception) and loyal to the Warriors for resurrecting his career which was as good as dead after he tore his leg in half.

Iggy will be extended. So they can keep their top 8 guys and have ring chasers for the vet min and low-level guys for the rest of their team, still better than anything Miami ever had.

james evans
10-26-2016, 07:54 AM
My theory is this, and I keep saying every time someone brings up the Warriors. They were the best offensive team in the league last season. Everything was clicking. They were also one of the top defensive teams as well. So in the off season, they gut their defense, get rid of all the hard workers and add another top offensive player to an offense that they were already #1. Does anyone understand how much of a factor this will be without Bogut in the middle changing shots and setting illegal screens, no barnes/ezeili/speights doing the dirty work and they add not 1 but 2 horrific defenders in West and Durant? Am I the only one here that understands basketball enough to see how much of a problem this is for Golden State? Basketball isn't, "ok, I'm adding this guy to the team so we're just gonna add his 20+ shots to the offense and be even more powerful). :lol . Shit doesn't work like that. Never has and never will. If that's the case, the Blazers in 2000 would have been champs.
I'm just gonna leave this here

SAGirl
10-26-2016, 08:00 AM
good points evans, earlier in the thread I brought up a similar point. It showed last night. We of little faith lol

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
10-26-2016, 09:58 AM
Kerr is an overrated vulture who's been given everything in his career and basically earned none of it.

Basically James Jones V2

You're talking about the best 3pt % shooter ever in the NBA. And have you forgotten game 6 in Dallas in '03. Game 6 Bulls/Jazz. Kerr is deserving of everything as a player. But as a coach, he was gifted a team built by Jerry West and Mark Jackson.