PDA

View Full Version : If shaq can do it why cant Duncan

RobinsontoDuncan
09-05-2004, 01:14 PM
i have been wodering for a while now why the rest of the league cant catch up with shaq, look the man isn't insanley skilled, just insanley ripped, it has been widely noted that what makes shaq is his incompabrle size so why cant TD end up at 325 pounds like shaq, why cant the rest of the league build up their muscles too?

ChumpDumper
09-05-2004, 01:24 PM
Shaq?

Ripped?

You can use that to desribe the seat of his pants, but not his physique.

Now DRob was RIPPED and he never weighed over 250.

Ask Mikki Moore how difficult it can be to put on weight.

spursfaninla
09-05-2004, 02:40 PM
Look, shaq was bigger than almost everyone when he came into the league.

If you haven't noticed, it takes men years of working out to gain the muscle that you see on 25+ year old players, especially men around 7'0.

Shaq is a physical freak among freaks. He was born to be heavy and tall, and even when he did not take full advantage of it with working out as he should, his natural physical gifts/body allowed him a sizeable advantage.

Any other NBA player around 300 lbs has been REALLY fat, its not muscle on those guys.

You can put on muscle according to your workout, diet, and most importantly genetics. You can do alot within your natural range, but it does limit your upper range of development. For everyone but shaq, that limit is around 285 at 7'0.

For instance, I work out 4-5 times a week with weights, and though I get stronger and more defined, I am never going to weight 200 lbs without gorging myself on ice cream and turning into a blob, no matter how much I work out.

Tim could do with being stronger and more defined. I would rather he stayed away from a power game, though, because frankly I think it limits a player's durability with so much wear and tear (weight, and plowing into the lane getting clobbered).

finding some ways to become a better ft shooter (again) would do much more for tim; he would become more able to be the go-to guy at the ends of games, and more difficult to defend. HOw did he do during the summer games? I remember people describing his better ft shooting form...

adidas11
09-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Agreed. Shaq is a freak of nature.

People don't realize how unusual it is for a guy to be his size, and still be very mobile and agile. When Shaq was in his twenties, his body fat percentage was hovering around 10%. And he weighed 320+ pounds. That is unreal.

Even when Shaq first came into the league, he was in high 200+ pounds. And he quickly built up mass by weight lifting after his rookie year.

Tim Duncan just doesn't have the type of body Shaq does. He doesn't have the type of body that David has. And Tim could lift weights and work out until the end of time. He is never going to have that 'cut' look as some others. And he doesn't need it.

I think it would actually be a detriment to Tim to lift weights to an extreme. I think he would lose his mobility. Tim is fine the way he is right now.

timvp
09-05-2004, 05:34 PM
Tim Duncan rarely works with weights. Last time I heard, he could only bench 180.

Mark in Austin
09-05-2004, 05:43 PM
I wonder if the constant doubles and triples the Lakers thrwe at him in the playoffs would have bothered him as much if he was stronger.

Not huge. Just stronger than he is now. Say adding 15 pounds of muscle or so.

jupiterhal
09-05-2004, 10:21 PM
Tim Duncan rarely works with weights. Last time I heard, he could only bench 180.

Thankfully he is not a linebacker on Dallas Cowboys and muscle/bulk is not a prerequisite to playing basketball.

He has the broad shoulders, powerful legs from swimming. He also has lower center of gravity compared to someone like KG and Dirk and so is difficult to dislodge.

Tim got basketball muscles.Muscle for a reason. Stuff he needs, he has developed shooting basketball like the guys from old school. The only place where he is bulking up deliberately are his quads for the knee problem.