PDA

View Full Version : We gonna miss Diaw?

Spurtacular
08-25-2016, 11:47 PM
Hasn't been a whole lot of sadness on this board, tbh....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRG-Nzpoz-I

dabom
08-25-2016, 11:50 PM
Two years to get his Shit straight.

Dex
08-25-2016, 11:53 PM
Two years to get his Shit straight.

missed him already last year tbh

/thread

Bobo was a great guy and probably one of the most interesting Spurs ever.

That being said...we started to see why he got booted from freakin' Charlotte.

When he was motivated, he is one of the best role players in the league. He got comfy after 2014, tho...and just wasn't the same player.

Will we miss Boris 2.0? Yes. But we've been missing him for 2 years already.

Robz4000
08-25-2016, 11:55 PM
What was said above, but yeah, I'll definitely miss his off-court shenanigans.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-26-2016, 12:06 AM
That guy on the Jazz? Idk who that is

lefty20
08-26-2016, 12:14 AM
/thread

When he was motivated, he is one of the best role players in the league. He got comfy after 2014, tho...and just wasn't the same player.

:bobo, tbh.

gambit1990
08-26-2016, 12:29 AM
we don't miss diaw, we go forward.

Spurtacular
08-26-2016, 02:52 AM
Bobo to Boban could've been even more deadly this year, tbh.

TheGreatYacht
08-26-2016, 03:06 AM
If fathead gets the minutes at the stretch 4, you're god damn right we will

cutewizard
08-26-2016, 03:23 AM
Kyle is the new Diaw 3.0! lol

:bobo

cutewizard
08-26-2016, 03:25 AM
Would be interesting to see if Kyle serves up the following honchos, for a thunderous dunk!!

To wit:

Kyle to Dedmon!

Kyle to Simmons!

Kyle to Murray!

Kyle to Lamarcus!

Kyle to Gasol!

Kyle to Jon Snow (Kawhi)!

Spurtacular
08-26-2016, 03:28 AM
Kyle is the new Diaw 3.0! lol

:bobo

Diaw 0.03, maybe.

timtonymanu
08-26-2016, 03:52 AM
One of my favorite Spurs ever. So frustrating he mailed it in because when motivated, he was one of the most important players on the team.

Hopefully Fathead's development pays off otherwise we're really gonna miss BoBo

ceperez
08-26-2016, 04:11 AM
One of my favorite Spurs ever. So frustrating he mailed it in because when motivated, he was one of the most important players on the team.

Hopefully Fathead's development pays off otherwise we're really gonna miss BoBo

I don't think KA will ever be as good as Bobo. Bobo was a special talent. Unfortunately, he keeps wasting that talent. I takes a devastating lost like 2013 to get the talent out of him. I doubt he'll ever find the same kind of motivation elsewhere.

testies
08-26-2016, 04:24 AM
Got sabotaged by poop, forcing him to play the turd tower lineup.

Bobo-Boban would've gotten us over the hump and you guys know it. Oh but West took less money, I'll play him /Pooptardovich.. :depressed

99 Problems
08-26-2016, 05:02 AM
Great Spur but on current trajectory not going to miss him as much as Golden Fake will miss Bogut.

Austin_Toros
08-26-2016, 06:26 AM
We already have one fat Frenchman, don't need another.

spurs50_
08-26-2016, 07:09 AM
I work at Whataburger and have to say that I will miss his daily visits....

8FOR!3
08-26-2016, 10:54 AM
Part of it is his motivation levels, part of it I think is we just didn't move the ball the past two years like we did the championship year. I think he was most effective in the hot potato system where he could make slick passes and take the slow bigs off the dribble if necessary. I'd like to watch some Utah games this year, they'll have a fun team hope Bobo does well for them. But I don't miss what he brought to the team last year from a basketball perspective bc it wasn't all that great.

SAGirl
08-26-2016, 11:29 AM
Nah. Other than Diaw's post game, there wasn't very much to him lately and he went MIA most of the season. I look forward to watching Kyle who is going to be the better player this season.
Edit: I would rather have him than Lee... but I hope Lee plays well for the Spurs.

08-26-2016, 11:31 AM
We already have one fat Frenchman, don't need another.
:lol truthbomb tbh

GSH
08-26-2016, 02:44 PM

/thread

Can't improve on perfection. That pretty much says it all.

I'd love to have the Boris from 3 years ago back. But then again, I'd rather have the Duncan from 3 years ago back.

Spurtacular
08-26-2016, 03:48 PM
Bobo-Boban would've gotten us over the hump and you guys know it.

sammy
08-30-2016, 10:17 AM
Hasn't been a whole lot of sadness on this board, tbh....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRG-Nzpoz-I

I will miss Boris! Spurs won't be the same without him!

SPURt
08-30-2016, 10:43 AM
Would be interesting to see if Kyle serves up the following honchos, for a thunderous dunk!!

To wit:

Kyle to Dedmon!

Kyle to Simmons!

Kyle to Murray!

Kyle to Lamarcus!

Kyle to Gasol!

Kyle to Jon Snow (Kawhi)!

I thought Kawhi was the "King Slayer" Jaime Lanister?

wildbill2u
08-30-2016, 11:02 AM

True. He did not seem to care last year about his performance. Didn't look like he was in shape. His play on court tailed off last year IMO. I always thought he might be sulking because we brought in West and that took some of his minutes. The more he didn't play, the more his attitude sucked and the more his play deteriorated.

All that being said, I will always love the way he played previously and the work he accomplished in our Championship season. That will indeed be missed.

Chinook
08-30-2016, 11:08 AM
Yes. The Spurs are going to miss competent bigs at times this season. I'm just hoping Pop tries to play to the strengths of the roster he has rather than trying to force the current guys to play the same old game.

Joseph Kony
08-30-2016, 11:25 AM
We've missed Diaw since he disappeared after 2014. Unfortunately for us it took two years for Spurs to realize it

Dex
08-30-2016, 11:43 AM
Yes. The Spurs are going to miss competent bigs at times this season. I'm just hoping Pop tries to play to the strengths of the roster he has rather than trying to force the current guys to play the same old game.

Competent bigs?

We have Aldridge / Gasol / Lee / Dedmon....I know Dedmon is young and Lee is somewhat of a reclamation project, but that seems like a pretty solid front-line to me. Most teams would love to have that combo.

The one real question mark is how much time Anderson will see at the 4, which may or may not even factor into this equation.

Brazil
08-30-2016, 11:49 AM
:lol truthbomb tbh

did not know you were part of this krew tbh... disappointing

vai tomar no cul

Chinook
08-30-2016, 11:56 AM
Competent bigs?

We have Aldridge / Gasol / Lee / Dedmon....I know Dedmon is young and Lee is somewhat of a reclamation project, but that seems like a pretty solid front-line to me. Most teams would love to have that combo.

The one real question mark is how much time Anderson will see at the 4, which may or may not even factor into this equation.

Yes, there will be times when only three of those four will be available to play, and there will be times when Dedmon regresses to his foul-happy play (and I only say "regresses" because I'm projecting him to be improved on that end; only looking at last year, he'd be likely to be a foul-machine). And you can make the argument that the Spurs have four centers and four SFs while having no PFs, though I think that isn't likely.

Personally, if the Spurs are going to start Gasol and LMA, I hope they go with a Mills, Manu, wing (an actualized Garino would be perfect here), Anderson and Dedmon bench. Then having Lee as the 11th man should be pretty strong center depth with LJC and Bertans being prospects for PF depth. But if Pop starts Dedmon and plays Lee, then, yeah, the team will be hurting for competent bigs.

Dex
08-30-2016, 12:27 PM
Yes, there will be times when only three of those four will be available to play, and there will be times when Dedmon regresses to his foul-happy play (and I only say "regresses" because I'm projecting him to be improved on that end; only looking at last year, he'd be likely to be a foul-machine). And you can make the argument that the Spurs have four centers and four SFs while having no PFs, though I think that isn't likely.

Personally, if the Spurs are going to start Gasol and LMA, I hope they go with a Mills, Manu, wing (an actualized Garino would be perfect here), Anderson and Dedmon bench. Then having Lee as the 11th man should be pretty strong center depth with LJC and Bertans being prospects for PF depth. But if Pop starts Dedmon and plays Lee, then, yeah, the team will be hurting for competent bigs.

Agreed....excellent take.

08-30-2016, 01:18 PM
did not know you were part of this krew tbh... disappointing

vai tomar no cul
sorry bro, you guys got rid of the wrong french fatty tho :lol Bobo is my nigga tbh

TheDoctor
08-30-2016, 01:24 PM
If fathead gets the minutes at the stretch 4, you're god damn right we will

look_at_g_shred
08-30-2016, 02:23 PM
Competent bigs?

I think we may see Bertans at the 4 as well.

SAGirl
08-30-2016, 06:36 PM
Or fit square pegs into round holes, which he has been excelling at lately. I can give multiple examples just on last season alone.

ElNono
08-30-2016, 11:25 PM

I wouldn't mind to start the season with a Mills, Manu, Anderson or Bertrans, Lee and Dedmon bench and see how we go from there...

SAGirl
08-31-2016, 03:20 AM
I think we may see Bertans at the 4 as well.
Me too. It's actually what he said he would play. We shall see if Pop changes his mind or not.

DeRozan m8
08-31-2016, 04:56 AM
And you can make the argument that the Spurs have four centers and four SFs while having no PFs

No one could successfully argue this

Chinook
08-31-2016, 06:23 AM
No one could successfully argue this

Of course you can. Lee, Gasol and Dedmon are obviously centers while Kawhi is an obvious small-forward. So now you're down to showing LMA isn't really a PF (which will eventually be true as he ages) while Anderson is too skinny to play PF and Bertans and LJC are too inexperienced in addition to being too skinny.

Shit, there were already people complaining about the lack of PFs before Lee, and anyone who's bothered to look him up knows he's not a PF anymore

MaNu4Tres
08-31-2016, 07:35 AM
They won't miss 2016 Diaw or West. They won't miss post AS break 2016 Duncan either.

Duncan will still be very involved and around the team to provide some leadership still.

Aldridge will be better and more comfortable in his 2nd year.

Gasol will be an improvement over the Duncan we saw last year when it mattered.

Dedmon will have a bigger impact on the ball movement and offense than West ever could last year-- mainly because the diving action with an effective roller opens up the weakside action so much more than the pick and pop action (I've elaborated so much on this on ST and twitter this summer). He'll also provide some solid interior D, more so than West ever could. Dedmons' skill set on both ends were needed desperately, and even though his stats won't be eye popping, his skill sets will make a very positive impact on the team -- a lot more than West did.

As of now, Anderson and Lee will compete for limited minutes at the PF. Anderson will also compete with Bertans and Simmons for minutes at the SF.

Gasol and Aldridge should see 60-65 minutes per game, more so than last years' starters in Duncan/Aldridge because Gasol is more capable of putting in more time on the court than 39 year old Duncan (Gasol played 32 mpg last yr). Dedmon should also see around 15-18 minutes per game, that leaves a little for Anderson and Lee to fight for. Sure there will be times when Gasol or Aldridge take a game off and rest, or there will be blowouts and Lee or Anderson should get more time in those scenarios. However, when it matters, I think you'll see Pop go to a three big rotation of Gasol, Aldridge and Dedmon with Kawhi getting some minutes at the PF if the situation calls for it.

Overall, the Spurs will be in much better shape in the front-court this upcoming season. This team will be better, maybe not from a win/loss perspective in the regular season but this upcoming group should have a much better end product once the playoffs roll around.

YGWHI
08-31-2016, 10:39 AM
When the "good" Boris knocked down 3's, the Spurs had a big man who can shoot/spread the floor.

Hopefully Pau can make those shots, it would give the Spurs more versatility on offense.

When you think that all Spurs' main scorers are front-court players...options from the perimeter are welcome.

dabom
08-31-2016, 10:44 AM
When the "good" Boris knocked down 3's, the Spurs had a big man who can shoot/spread the floor.

Hopefully Pau can make those shots, it would give the Spurs more versatility on offense.

When you think that all Spurs' main scorers are front-court players...options from the perimeter are welcome.

I don't know how Boris got worse and more reluctant from 3. In 2014 playoffs he probably should've a 38% clip. No bad but respectable. He stopped shooting them for no fucking reason. I mean he wasn't even attempting threes at all. Very strange.

YGWHI
08-31-2016, 11:04 AM
I don't know how Boris got worse and more reluctant from 3. In 2014 playoffs he probably should've a 38% clip. No bad but respectable. He stopped shooting them for no fucking reason. I mean he wasn't even attempting threes at all. Very strange.

Agree. Pop wanted to exploit the mismatch-advantage in the post with Boris over smaller defenders, especially against Warriors. But we missed his shooting against OKC, it would have helped LMA's offense in the last games of the series.

J_Paco
08-31-2016, 11:23 AM
He was a huge disappointment throughout the season and a ghost in the playoffs, but I'm going to miss his deft passing and chemistry with both Manu & Tony. I'll miss the absolute uniqueness of the Big Croissant's game especially down on the block.

Hopefully, Kyle added some muscle/weight to his frame and can mitigate some of the impact of losing Bobo. Although, as you can clearly see from the highlight reel that he probably won't have that exact same skillset. His low post game is nowhere near as advanced as Boris'.

ceperez
08-31-2016, 02:54 PM
They won't miss 2016 Diaw or West. They won't miss post AS break 2016 Duncan either.

Duncan will still be very involved and around the team to provide some leadership still.

Dedmon will have a bigger impact on the ball movement and offense than West ever could last year-- mainly because the diving action with an effective roller opens up the weakside action so much more than the pick and pop action (I've elaborated so much on this on ST and twitter this summer). He'll also provide some solid interior D, more so than West ever could. Dedmons' skill set on both ends were needed desperately, and even though his stats won't be eye popping, his skill sets will make a very positive impact on the team -- a lot more than West did.

As of now, Anderson and Lee will compete for limited minutes at the PF. Anderson will also compete with Bertans and Simmons for minutes at the SF.

Gasol and Aldridge should see 60-65 minutes per game, more so than last years' starters in Duncan/Aldridge because Gasol is more capable of putting in more time on the court than 39 year old Duncan (Gasol played 32 mpg last yr). Dedmon should also see around 15-18 minutes per game, that leaves a little for Anderson and Lee to fight for. Sure there will be times when Gasol or Aldridge take a game off and rest, or there will be blowouts and Lee or Anderson should get more time in those scenarios. However, when it matters, I think you'll see Pop go to a three big rotation of Gasol, Aldridge and Dedmon with Kawhi getting some minutes at the PF if the situation calls for it.

Overall, the Spurs will be in much better shape in the front-court this upcoming season. This team will be better, maybe not from a win/loss perspective in the regular season but this upcoming group should have a much better end product once the playoffs roll around.

I agree here that there is a possibility that Spurs front court is better than last years.

Duncan by the second half of the season was not contributing. Diaw was not aggressive enough. West was a liability in defense.

... vs ...

Pau has a better offensive game and can hit the 3. Pau may be better than Duncan and Diaw combined! Dedmon should be able to put up better defense that West. Lee is probably as good as Diaw in the post (can't say the same about spreading the floor).

testies
08-31-2016, 02:59 PM
will miss diaw
but excited that west isn't here anymore
and that gasol, an all time great imo will be a spur

SAGirl
08-31-2016, 03:18 PM
Of course you can. Lee, Gasol and Dedmon are obviously centers while Kawhi is an obvious small-forward. So now you're down to showing LMA isn't really a PF (which will eventually be true as he ages) while Anderson is too skinny to play PF and Bertans and LJC are too inexperienced in addition to being too skinny.

Shit, there were already people complaining about the lack of PFs before Lee, and anyone who's bothered to look him up knows he's not a PF anymore
Pop's trump card has to include some changes and innovation. He has to play some of his "PF"--who are very unorthodox--to their strengths. The league is changing. Have Bertans be running big guys off screens like a big Kyle Korver. Tire the shit out of guys like Diaw, D west, et all. Those guys cannot ever keep up with a Bertans. They will need to be ran off the court. POP has to present problems like that to other coaches at this point instead of the same old shit. Then on the other end they have to blitz and deny passes to these dudes etc. D west doesn't even like to post up. He's a PnP midrange dude, very weak game for a guy whose only advantage at this point is his strength.

The only area of concern really is the boards. If Bertans cannot box out and rebound he's in trouble. I know Kyle can, unless the dude is a behemoth, but we shall see. There are some behemoths out there so I am sure Pop will have to adjust lineups at times. But really Pop needs to be creative and feature his guys at this point. If he's having Bertans be a Bonner 2.0 and Kyle stand in a corner like a 3 and D dude with a limited offensive game then he doesn't deserve to coach them. You can just give him Garino and bring back Bonner and it would be the same and that team is not going places.

If Pop is not maximizing what KA and Bertans can do, the team isn't going anywhere. POP won't deserve to win a championship and he won't do it like that. It would be disappointing to see such a lack of creativity.

Imagine Kerr trying to fit Draymond, who was a "tweener" who couldn't shoot worth a lick when he came into the league into Pop's square system. If it's not bc Draymond is placed in a spot to do what he does best he would be but a roleplayer and not a very good one. An uncreative coach would have forced him to a 3 and D kind of style and would have completely wasted him. That's maybe why Raymond is not a traditional star, but placed in spots to do what he does well he can help a coach win games and kill other teams. That's all that matters.

Anyways, Pop hasn't been maximizing his young talent at this point and he won't if he keeps them in an anticuated system.... Not sure if if was ceperez or who that was, who was criticizing Messinas lack of offensive creativity. Pops needs to move on too and start thinking outside the box how he's going to use both Bertans and Anderson. They can be better options than Lee if they are used correctly, but if Pop wants to stay traditional he deserves what he gets and probably doesn't deserve the talent he's been given with these two. He has reformed his system over the years and needs to do so again. We shall see. I am not holding my breath though .

TD 21
08-31-2016, 05:06 PM
Despite his physical tools, Aldridge is more of a power forward, offensively and defensively. As he ages, post Gasol, they might pair him with a Splitter/Oberto type center, that has enough mobility to defend power forwards. But if Garnett and especially Nowitzki, can remain power forwards (Garnett played a lot of center out of necessity for his respective teams from '12-'14) through their late 30's, then Aldridge probably can too.

Besides, move all these types of power forwards to center and they'll be a shortage of starting power forwards and even more of an overload of centers than their already is.

Outside of Aldridge, Lee is more of a center offensively, but more of a power forward defensively.

Jean-Charles may not be a true power forward, but he'll be classified as one by default. He's probably more of a center offensively and more of a combo forward defensively though.

Spurtacular
08-31-2016, 10:56 PM

Because as he got bigger, his game went inside. Also, being older, he didn't have the legs he had. Making threes at a high clip requires a routine. Ray Allen wasn't shooting however many hundred threes a day b/c he just liked it that much.

Spurtacular
08-31-2016, 10:57 PM
will miss diaw
but excited that west isn't here anymore
and that gasol, an all time great imo will be a spur

Gasol came here two years too late. He made a stupid vain decision to go to Chicago.

DeRozan m8
09-01-2016, 12:32 AM

LMA is a PF, m8

Spurtacular
09-01-2016, 12:35 AM

You're ridiculously too optimistic, tbh.

DeRozan m8
09-01-2016, 12:40 AM
I just hate whenever Anderson is the answer to a problem.

Means we're f*cked

Spurtacular
09-01-2016, 12:45 AM
I just hate whenever Anderson is the answer to a problem.

Means we're f*cked

lefty
09-01-2016, 02:26 AM
Restaurants are ginna miss him tbh

Who's gonna eat everything? (besides Porker of course)

ceperez
09-01-2016, 05:25 AM
You're ridiculously too optimistic, tbh.

Spurs fans have nothing left but to be optimistic. Their odds of winning this coming season is extremely slim.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-01-2016, 02:14 PM
Hopefully we'll get some of that playmaking/passing/creativity/outside shooting/space-creating from Gasol that 2014 Boris gave us. At least Pau will show up in shape and ready to play. It's going to be an interesting year. I like the seasons that no one expects anything from the Spurs.

Sean Cagney
09-02-2016, 01:07 AM
Gasol came here two years too late. He made a stupid vain decision to go to Chicago.

Yes indeed, two years too late.

bklynspursfan
09-02-2016, 08:19 AM

Solid take... I don't know much of what to expect from Dedmon, but I just hope he turns out to be a steal.

09-02-2016, 08:48 AM
Restaurants are ginna miss him tbh

Who's gonna eat everything? (besides Porker of course)
:lol yeah, I can see porker picking up the slack