PDA

View Full Version : Who You Hate Depends on How Smart You Are

RandomGuy
08-31-2016, 04:47 PM
According to a new study, people with both high and low intelligence are prejudiced—the difference is just who they are prejudiced against.

st researchers have found that people of lower cognitive ability are more likely to be prejudiced, but prejudice isn't exclusive to dim bulbs. A new study finds that people at both high and low ends of the intelligence spectrum actually express equal levels of prejudice—the difference is just what they're prejudiced against.

The researchers, social psychologists Mark Brandt and Jarret Crawford, analyzed 5,914 subjects in their experiment, "Answering Unresolved Questions About the Relationship Between Cognitive Ability and Prejudice." Removing value judgments about whether a specific prejudice is justified or not, they measured the amount of prejudice present in groups of higher cognitive ability and lower cognitive ability. They gauged the cognitive ability of their subjects using a wordsum test, which is considered to be correlated to an individual's intelligence quotient (IQ). Brandt and Crawford replicated previous findings that people of low cognitive ability tend to be prejudiced against non-conventional or liberal groups, as well as groups that have "low choice" in their status—groups defined by their race or gender or sexual orientation, for example. According to their research, this tendency inverted among people of high cognitive ability. In other words, the smarter subjects in their study were likely to be prejudiced against groups considered conventional or conservative—groups perceived to have "high choice" in their associations."

"People dislike people who are different from them," Brandt and Crawford said in an interview with Broadly. "Derogating people with different worldviews can help people maintain the validity of their own world view." In other words, if you see the world one way, you may rely on that perspective, so you might reinforce the idea that you're right by believing other worldviews are wrong.

There was another polarized finding in their study. Brandt and Crawford found that people of low cognitive ability are prejudiced against groups that people didn't choose to be part of, such as ethnic or LGBT groups. This is poignant in 2016, a time when conservative communities across the country are unifying around intolerance of transgender people, Muslim Americans continue to face grotesque prejudice, and police brutality is high.

Brandt and Crawford cited prior research that has shown less cognitively capable people often "essentialize," or see different groups as being distinct from each other, with "clear boundaries."

"Having clear boundaries helps people feel like the opposing group is distinct and far away. That is, they won't be so much of a threat," they said. The researchers pointed to a recent study looking at this boundary phenomenon with respect to Donald Trump's stupid plan to build a big wall along the southern border of the United States—it would create a literal boundary where before only a mental one existed.

The conservatives who support this plan are expressing prejudice towards "low-choice" groups—in this case, Mexicans, who were born Mexican and did not choose to be that. "On the flipside, people high in cognitive ability express more prejudice against high-choice groups," such as conservatives, the researchers said. "They may be especially angered by groups that they think should be able to change their minds."

(more at the link below)
https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/who-you-hate-depends-on-how-smart-you-are-study-finds

Thread
08-31-2016, 04:50 PM
Mexicans, who were born Mexican and did not choose to be that.

There's the money shot.

Avante
09-01-2016, 05:33 AM
I'm pumping gas when these three young Mexicans in a lowrider pull up to the Mini Mart. They are playing some LOUD rap music, with ...fuck this and fuck that. They leave that shit on while they enter the store. That was a total disregard for everyone else around.

I give this some thought, decided that when I finish pumping the gas I'll have a talk with these punks. Well I didn't get a chance they came out and left before I was done.

Whie I won't use the word...hate...I didn't like them. What's with pants hanging half way off your ass, this is suppose to be cool?

I was going to...

Avante...excuse me guys but after ya pull your pants up how about turning that stupid shit either down or off, ok? (looking at the driver) Amigo, good luck getting a job with a tattoo of a spider on your neck, what the fuck were you thinking?

pgardn
09-01-2016, 07:51 AM
According to a new study, people with both high and low intelligence are prejudiced—the difference is just who they are prejudiced against.

st researchers have found that people of lower cognitive ability are more likely to be prejudiced, but prejudice isn't exclusive to dim bulbs. A new study finds that people at both high and low ends of the intelligence spectrum actually express equal levels of prejudice—the difference is just what they're prejudiced against.

The researchers, social psychologists Mark Brandt and Jarret Crawford, analyzed 5,914 subjects in their experiment, "Answering Unresolved Questions About the Relationship Between Cognitive Ability and Prejudice." Removing value judgments about whether a specific prejudice is justified or not, they measured the amount of prejudice present in groups of higher cognitive ability and lower cognitive ability. They gauged the cognitive ability of their subjects using a wordsum test, which is considered to be correlated to an individual's intelligence quotient (IQ). Brandt and Crawford replicated previous findings that people of low cognitive ability tend to be prejudiced against non-conventional or liberal groups, as well as groups that have "low choice" in their status—groups defined by their race or gender or sexual orientation, for example. According to their research, this tendency inverted among people of high cognitive ability. In other words, the smarter subjects in their study were likely to be prejudiced against groups considered conventional or conservative—groups perceived to have "high choice" in their associations."

"People dislike people who are different from them," Brandt and Crawford said in an interview with Broadly. "Derogating people with different worldviews can help people maintain the validity of their own world view." In other words, if you see the world one way, you may rely on that perspective, so you might reinforce the idea that you're right by believing other worldviews are wrong.

There was another polarized finding in their study. Brandt and Crawford found that people of low cognitive ability are prejudiced against groups that people didn't choose to be part of, such as ethnic or LGBT groups. This is poignant in 2016, a time when conservative communities across the country are unifying around intolerance of transgender people, Muslim Americans continue to face grotesque prejudice, and police brutality is high.

Brandt and Crawford cited prior research that has shown less cognitively capable people often "essentialize," or see different groups as being distinct from each other, with "clear boundaries."

"Having clear boundaries helps people feel like the opposing group is distinct and far away. That is, they won't be so much of a threat," they said. The researchers pointed to a recent study looking at this boundary phenomenon with respect to Donald Trump's stupid plan to build a big wall along the southern border of the United States—it would create a literal boundary where before only a mental one existed.

The conservatives who support this plan are expressing prejudice towards "low-choice" groups—in this case, Mexicans, who were born Mexican and did not choose to be that. "On the flipside, people high in cognitive ability express more prejudice against high-choice groups," such as conservatives, the researchers said. "They may be especially angered by groups that they think should be able to change their minds."

(more at the link below)
https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/who-you-hate-depends-on-how-smart-you-are-study-finds

IQ tests are only good for identifying really slow people in specific areas IMO.

And of Of course everyone on this board will claim to have an IQ of over 120. I deal with supposedly very bright people everyday. It is very clear, to me at least, that they can lack some very important skills that I would consider intelligence. I would point to the following general areas that IQ tests do not read well.

1. People Skills: Ability to read a situation and knowing when to respond and when to observe. Ability to "read" others quickly. Ability to manipulate others.

2. Curiosity: Are they interested in a wide variety inputs. Are they just as likely to be fascinated by the patterns of ice crystals on a window as why a person responded the way they did in a certain situation.

3. Have a real gift or expertise in one area while being very intuitive and serious about other areas ex. Hobby (s)

And many more. These would be my top 3 right now.

So while the study might be interesting, I can't get past the first part of ID ing "intelligent" people in the first place.

DeadlyDynasty
09-01-2016, 08:05 AM
OP is a fag. No hate, just an observation. Look at the titles of her other recent articles...some real hardcore journalism here

Even In Queer Relationships, Outdated Gender Roles Are Rampant (https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/even-in-queer-relationships-outdated-gender-roles-are-rampant)

How the Mothers of Transgender Children Are Changing the World (https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/how-the-mothers-of-transgender-children-are-changing-the-world)

Teen Sweethearts and BFFs Are Terrorizing Each Other Online, Study Reveals (https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/teen-sweethearts-and-bffs-are-terrorizing-each-other-online-study-reveals)

Young Men Suffer When They Make More Money Than Their Wives, Study Says (https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/young-men-suffer-when-they-make-more-money-than-their-wives-study-says)

Caster Semenya, Scrutinized for Her Gender, Strides Into Olympic Finals (https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/caster-semenya-scrutinized-for-her-gender-strides-into-olympic-finals)

The Uncertain Olympic Future for Trans and Intersex Athletes (https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/the-uncertain-olympic-future-for-trans-and-intersex-athletes)

Dustin from 'Stranger Things' on Pokémon and His Visceral Love of Pudding (https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/dustin-from-stranger-things-on-pokmon-and-his-visceral-love-of-pudding)

Clipper Nation
09-01-2016, 08:42 AM
^ :lmao

Blake
09-01-2016, 10:25 AM
I'm pumping gas when these three young Mexicans in a lowrider pull up to the Mini Mart. They are playing some LOUD rap music, with ...fuck this and fuck that. They leave that shit on while they enter the store. That was a total disregard for everyone else around.

I give this some thought, decided that when I finish pumping the gas I'll have a talk with these punks. Well I didn't get a chance they came out and left before I was done.

Whie I won't use the word...hate...I didn't like them. What's with pants hanging half way off your ass, this is suppose to be cool?

I was going to...

Avante...excuse me guys but after ya pull your pants up how about turning that stupid shit either down or off, ok? (looking at the driver) Amigo, good luck getting a job with a tattoo of a spider on your neck, what the fuck were you thinking?

Low intelligence

Avante
09-01-2016, 11:41 AM
Blake, where is your self respect? Remember our deal? Dude, I like most here don't like you, you are a jerk and a punk, so don't be bugging me with your stupidity, ok? I knew you couldn't do it asshole, as we saw I was right.

Now this will be the last time I respond to you, got it? Go away ya fucking prick, ok?

DisAsTerBot
09-01-2016, 11:55 AM
Blake, where is your self respect? Remember our deal? Dude, I like most here don't like you, you are a jerk and a punk, so don't be bugging me with your stupidity, ok? I knew you couldn't do it asshole, as we saw I was right.

Now this will be the last time I respond to you, got it? Go away ya fucking prick, ok?

serious question. you think most people here like you? or do they like to fuck with you?

DMC
09-01-2016, 12:07 PM
Muslim is a religion. It's therefore a choice. If your choice is to practice the teachings that the rest of us need to die, fuck no I don't like you and I hope you die soon.

DMC
09-01-2016, 12:08 PM

You're in the low IQ group as evidenced by your response to Blake. You tell him to leave you alone then ask for confirmation "OK?"

Your schtick is one of the shittiest, most obvious on the forum and yet you cannot even clear your plate long enough to make sense.

Avante
09-01-2016, 12:13 PM
serious question. you think most people here like you? or do they like to fuck with you?

Serious answer.

When I want serious discussion about my interests I take that other places. Here at The Club it's all about everyone messing with everyone, now who does that better than Avante? Look at the impact he makes here.

Being liked would be a bore.

Avante
09-01-2016, 12:18 PM
You're in the low IQ group as evidenced by your response to Blake. You tell him to leave you alone then ask for confirmation "OK?"

Your schtick is one of the shittiest, most obvious on the forum and yet you cannot even clear your plate long enough to make sense.

I;m not the one following a guy around callng him a pedo who has make it VERY VERY VERY clear he isn't. That pretty much says it all about your IQ.

There is nobody here who can hang with me on most topics and everyone knows it. My IQ comes with an abnormal memory and knowledge of a multitude of facts on a multitude of topics.

I can take you to school, that's for damn sure.

Chucho
09-01-2016, 12:21 PM
So what you're saying is THIS is why BLM is so violent and angry with Whitey?

DisAsTerBot
09-01-2016, 01:11 PM
Serious answer.

When I want serious discussion about my interests I take that other places. Here at The Club it's all about everyone messing with everyone, now who does that better than Avante? Look at the impact he makes here.

Being liked would be a bore.

really? Ive seen you talk track. people fuck with you. You talk blues. people fuck with you. Nam. people fuck with you. Ive never seen you fuck with anyone. You usually just respond to them fucking with you

Chucho
09-01-2016, 01:28 PM
I;m not the one following a guy around callng him a pedo who has make it VERY VERY VERY clear he isn't. That pretty much says it all about your IQ.

There is nobody here who can hang with me on most topics and everyone knows it. My IQ comes with an abnormal memory and knowledge of a multitude of facts on a multitude of topics.

Lack of evidence is not evidence. No one is taking you at your word, you're a proven liar...

...like with the track thread and not being aware of a HS runner in Texas running a sub 20.

And IQ is different than memory. So you remember shit, that doesn't beget intelligence. Dogs, parrots and chimpanzees can be taught to remember things. So you can be trained like a common animal to play memory with selective topics.

You think YOU know pro rasslin'? I'd fuck you like you do under age Filipino boys. I slap you in camel clutch, break your fuhhking back and I make you hhumbleeee...

pgardn
09-01-2016, 02:08 PM

You are an idiot.

Any subject that contains any sort of depth and you are totally baffled.
Your thoughts on evolution being the most obvious. The great triumphs of thinking by humankind totally escape you.

RandomGuy
09-01-2016, 03:18 PM
IQ tests are only good for identifying really slow people in specific areas IMO.

And of Of course everyone on this board will claim to have an IQ of over 120. I deal with supposedly very bright people everyday. It is very clear, to me at least, that they can lack some very important skills that I would consider intelligence. I would point to the following general areas that IQ tests do not read well.

1. People Skills: Ability to read a situation and knowing when to respond and when to observe. Ability to "read" others quickly. Ability to manipulate others.

2. Curiosity: Are they interested in a wide variety inputs. Are they just as likely to be fascinated by the patterns of ice crystals on a window as why a person responded the way they did in a certain situation.

3. Have a real gift or expertise in one area while being very intuitive and serious about other areas ex. Hobby (s)

And many more. These would be my top 3 right now.

So while the study might be interesting, I can't get past the first part of ID ing "intelligent" people in the first place.

Well, as a broad measure, "intelligent" seems fairly easy to measure. I would pretty much agree with your top 3.

RandomGuy
09-01-2016, 03:19 PM
You are an idiot.

Any subject that contains any sort of depth and you are totally baffled.
Your thoughts on evolution being the most obvious. The great triumphs of thinking by humankind totally escape you.

He is the poster boy for the Donning-Kruger effect.

Blake
09-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Blake, where is your self respect? Remember our deal?

You already fucked up the deal.

The deal was you stay out of any thread I start. You posted in not one but two of them in the past couple of weeks.

I knew you couldn't do it.

DarrinS
09-01-2016, 07:36 PM
I know this thread attempts to show that conservatives have lower IQ. Question: why have Democrats been losing the white college-educated vote for over a half century?

Avante
09-01-2016, 11:50 PM
Lack of evidence is not evidence. No one is taking you at your word, you're a proven liar...

...like with the track thread and not being aware of a HS runner in Texas running a sub 20.

And IQ is different than memory. So you remember shit, that doesn't beget intelligence. Dogs, parrots and chimpanzees can be taught to remember things. So you can be trained like a common animal to play memory with selective topics.

You think YOU know pro rasslin'? I'd fuck you like you do under age Filipino boys. I slap you in camel clutch, break your fuhhking back and I make you hhumbleeee...

Stupid, the TEXAS STATE RECORD IS 20.13 HELD BY ROY MARTIN.

I don['t think I know rasslin', I know I know rasslin. Supid been into since the late 50's. ok dummy? Grew up watching....

Gorgeous George
Mr.Moto
Freddie Blassie
Ray Stevens
Pepper Gomez
Baron Leoni
Wild Red Berry

etc etc

So where is the NAME of that kid who ran a sub20.00....well?

Texas High School Track & Field State Records

NR = National record
Boys

EVENT

MARK

ATHLETE

SCHOOL

YEAR

100m

10.13 NR

Derrick Florence

Galveston Ball

200m

20.13 NR

Roy Martin

Dallas Roosevelt

400m

Aldrich Bailey

Mansfield Timberview

Chucho
09-02-2016, 01:44 AM

I don['t think I know rasslin', I know I know rasslin. Supid been into since the late 50's. ok dummy? Grew up watching....

Gorgeous George
Mr.Moto
Freddie Blassie
Ray Stevens
Pepper Gomez
Baron Leoni
Wild Red Berry

etc etc

NR = National record
Boys

EVENT
MARK
ATHLETE
SCHOOL
YEAR

100m
10.13 NR
Derrick Florence
Galveston Ball

200m
20.13 NR
Roy Martin
Dallas Roosevelt

400m
Aldrich Bailey
Mansfield Timberview

That's old timey carny wrasslin no one remembers. I dont Google my shit so dont age me out of an argument. You can't be an ageist too, can you? I'm a third your age pal, so let's do REAL rasslin from the 80s, when we were both alive. Who were the best rasslers of the 80s?

09-02-2016, 06:33 AM

Gorgeous George
Mr.Moto
Freddie Blassie
Ray Stevens
Pepper Gomez
Baron Leoni
Wild Red Berry

etc etc

NR = National record
Boys

EVENT
MARK
ATHLETE
SCHOOL
YEAR

100m
10.13 NR
Derrick Florence
Galveston Ball

200m
20.13 NR
Roy Martin
Dallas Roosevelt

400m
Aldrich Bailey
Mansfield Timberview

No

Avante
09-02-2016, 12:07 PM
That's old timey carny wrasslin no one remembers. I dont Google my shit so dont age me out of an argument. You can't be an ageist too, can you? I'm a third your age pal, so let's do REAL rasslin from the 80s, when we were both alive. Who were the best rasslers of the 80s?

Dude, until you give me the name of this 19.9 HS kid I'm not doing anything. So either give me his name or admit ya were lying, got it?

Clipper Nation
09-02-2016, 01:40 PM
Dude, until you give me the name of this 19.9 HS kid I'm not doing anything. So either give me his name or admit ya were lying, got it?
:lolld Fagg:lolt

09-02-2016, 06:49 PM
You really seem to want the kids name. And I thought high school was already too old for you...guess not.