PDA

View Full Version : Projecting the top 10 QB's & stats for 2016-2017

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
09-01-2016, 11:00 PM
I did this last year, and I wasn't too disappointed with the results. For future reference:
2014/15 - http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236239
2015/16 - http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259368

#10: Derek Carr
This was a tough one, but I went with Carr. I know there is a lot of outside hype for the Raiders this year, which is worrisome, but they have the components offensively and defensively to be a playoff contender. I think the Broncos will be tough, but I also believe the Chiefs are extremely underrated.

Anyways, Carr is bringing back a young core that will help his familiarity in his system. With Cooper and Crabtree on the outside, and Murray as the running threat, Carr has plenty of weapons and not much of an excuse to skip a beat. Something that definitely plays a roll in his success this year is how he will react to stout defenses this year with a supbar offensive line.

I think Carr will struggle early with turnovers, only to mature in the second half.
Prediction: 27 TD's 13 INT's

#9: Blake Bortles
I've officially bought into the Blake Bortles hype. I don't necessarily buy into the Jaguars hype just yet (when their rookie trio mature they will be a force). But their offensive weapons are legit. Ivory & Yeldon look great. Robinson looks superhuman, and Hurns looks like he could be a #1 on half the teams in the league. Additionally they have Julius Thomas and Marquise Lee developing in the slot.

Bortles has a great arm and has lots of potential, but his gun-slinging tendencies tend to make him turnover-prone. He needs to settle down, and take care of the football.

I have Bortles breaking out again this year, but be ranked low because I don't necessarily believe that will translate into team success.
Prediction: 33 TD's, 15 INT's

#8: Philip Rivers
I think Rivers is a darkhorse MVP candidate. Already lacking talent on the offensive line last year, the Chargers were decimated with injuries, and did not have much of a chance in a defensive powerhouse of a division. With Keenan Allen back this year, and the additions of Hunter Henry and Travis Benjamin, the Chargers are looking to get back to their winning ways of just two seasons ago.

One concern I have for Rivers is durability. He has shown a trend the past few years of having a hot start, only to slow down considerably towards the last half of the season. His injury concerns also make me believe he's one big hit away from retiring. Still his historic accuracy and gun-slinging ways should produce his usual big numbers, and I think the Chargers have a great chance of being a wild card team this year.
Prediction: 29 TD's, 7 INT's

#7: Andy Dalton
The Bengals are the most underrated team in the league. With Andy Dalton healthy last year, they were steam-rolling teams. I thought Dalton would lead them to the Super Bowl - he was arguably the MVP before his injury. I think Dalton is going to quiet a lot of haters this year. I have them winning their division, and I also have him breaking through as not only a top 5 QB, but also as an elite QB.

Prediction: 31 TD's, 6 INT's

#6: Ben Roesthlisberger
There's no secret to Big Ben's great mobility and accurate deep ball. The question is always his injuries. I don't think he's going to make it through a full year this year, despite his weight loss. But I do think he's going to show his value when he does play. As usual, the loss of Bryant furthers the weight on Big Ben and Antonio Brown's shoulders. Having Wheaton and Heyward-Bay doesn't hurt, but it does diminish some of their high-flying offense.

Ben will will these guys to the playoffs. How far they go depends on his health.
Prediction: 22 TD's 12 INT's in 11 games played

#5: Andrew Luck
Contrary to my constant Luck bashing, I do believe he is the future, and I do believe he will win MVP's in the future. I think he's primed for a big year. The amount of disrespect he's gotten on social media is unwarranted, and he comes back again with lots of young and fast threats. They look like a college football team out there with the way they run their plays.

I think Luck throws for 5k this year, and I think the Colts make it back to the playoffs and win their division.
Predictions: 36 TD's 13 INT's

#4: Russell Wilson
By the end of the year, I think Wilson could be as high as 2-3, but I wanted to give respect to a couple of legends. What more can be said about Wilson? Very efficient, smart, and quick. Once a game manager and now an elite QB in the NFL. He will have his usual efficient numbers and will lead Seattle to a first round bye.
Predictions: 30 TD's 7 INT's, 6 TD's rushing

#3: Aaron Rodgers
With Jordi Nelson back, Rodgers should bounce back in a big way. Cobb, Nelson and Adams pose a dangerous receiving trio for any DB combination in the NFL. They also signed Jared Cook from the Rams.
Predictions: 34 TD's 6 INT's

#2: Tom Brady
I'm not sure how long Brady can do it for. It's scary to think how Manning broke down so quickly, so maybe these four games will help Brady, who should only worry about playoff football at this point in his career. Brady will make usual scrubs look great.
Predictions: 25 TD's 4 INT's in 12 games played

#1: Cam Newton
Did you really expect anyone else from me? After leading a receiving core consisting of Ted Ginn Jr., Devin Funchess and Philly Brown to a 15 win season, Newton gets his top receiving threat back in Kelvin Benjamin. Adding Greg Olsen to the mix mixes a dangerous passing attack with an equally as dangerous rushing attack consisting of Newton himself, along with Jonathan Stewart and Mike Tolbert.

Do I think Newton will have a 15-1 record again? No. Do I think there's a chance he regresses a bit from last year? Perhaps. But showing his progress the last few years, there is no reason to believe he cannot emulate the success from last year and win back-to-back MVP's.
Predictions: 33 TD's 11 INT's, 10 TD's rushing

Just missed cut: Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Jameis Winston, Carson Palmer, Alex Smith
Next five out: Matt Stafford, Jay Cutler, Brock Osiweiler, Dak Prescott, Matt Ryan

Quick notes:
- I expect Carson Palmer to regress heavily. History has shown when a player at his age underperforms in the playoffs, the next year isn't kind
- I do not believe Joe Flacco will bounce back this year. His mediocre play, added with the fact that his #1 receiver is a 37 year old coming off an ACL injury, the odds are stacked against him.
- I think Stafford will impress without Calvin Johnson.
- Prescott will have his moments. I always believe four year college players have the ability to break out due to maturity.

spurraider21
09-02-2016, 12:22 AM
raiders have a subpar offensive line? this is news to me. they're probably a top 3 unit in the league tbh

the raiders offense will go as far as carr can take them. the line is good, the receiving weapons are good. murray is a passable running back (has the physical talent to be above average, but he just doesn't have "it"). that said, he's good enough. carr doesn't really have excuses. the team is relying on him to carry and lead

if he struggles, it wastes the talented offense around him and the raiders miss the playoffs

overall, list is solid.

-there's bias here, but carr > bortles... though if you're talking strictly numbers, yeah i can see bortles amassing more yards and td's (probably INT's too) since jags are more pass happy

-i also think Palmer should be on the list. yeah, he massively choked in the playoffs, but he should put up big numbers again, i dont see why not

- cant put brady above ben... steelers offense is high octane and brady is missing 4 games

also... the 15/16 list you linked was during this offseason :lol, wasn't a prediction thread for last season

Avante
09-02-2016, 12:29 AM
All anyone has to do is look at career/2016 stats to see that Russell Wilson is the superior QB to Cam Newton.

starts
wins
playoff success
vs each other
comp &
TD/INT
QB rating

...all favor Russell Wilson and he has never had a "great" receiver.

ONE MORE TIME

RW

comp % 68.1, Newton...59.8
yards 4024, Newton 3837
TD/INT 34/8, Newton 35/10
QB rating 110.1, Newton 99.4

Sure looks like RW to me.

Wilson wins his first SB, Newton loses his.